[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chases

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: chase.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
chase.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
What systems have good rules for chases?

What system has the best?

How do you do them well in other systems?

What non-gameplay things (e.g. RP, storytelling) make them better/more fun?
>>
Unknown Armies had a decent set of chase rules, although they were mostly for vehicular stuff, and were sorta loose/abstract as is the general style of the system.

Shadowrun also has Chase Combat, but once again that's vehicle based and it is clunky as fuck.
>>
>>46685369
my advice if you want to run a chase scene, be it on foot or in vehicle, is keep the mechanics simple. The whole point is for it to be fast paced, moreso than normal combat, so do that. Run it as a minimalist normal combat with the addition of the occasional maneuver roll to gain on or lose foes. It honestly is mostly in the descriptions you make, not the rolls themselves.
>>
>>46685369
You know, I never actually had a chase happen.

D&D 4e skill challenges are supposedly good for chases, but it never came up. Savage Worlds also has some chase rules, as does Strike!
>>
>>46686228
So you only play shit games then?
>>
>>46688616
To be on topic, play any good games with chases?
>>
>>46688851
All the time. Chases are essential for investigations. They provide action without dominance.

Mechanically I think the GM can at best be supported. No system can run a good chase for you, it can just give you tools.

If you want some random factor, keep it very simple. Like take a 3 step ladder and have the groups chasing go up a step, those who roll bad go down one, and if both roll the same they remain. Progress is not absolute progress through the game world, but relative progress in relation to the prey or pursuer. What to roll for changes with the situation, but the result is always one of
>same distance
>catching up
>getting away
>caught
>gone
>>
7th Sea had really good chase rules, in my opinion.
>>
>>46689036
Any details?

Ship chases or running chases (or either)?
>>
>>46689274
Running chases.

The rules differentiate from the type of chase going on and what skill you use for it. Chasing someone through a crowded city uses the Street Navigation skill, a chase over open ground uses the Sprinting skill, chasing someone over rooftops uses Leaping, etc.

The DM places a number of markers relative to the distance between the two parties on the table, between one and ten. The two parties make contested skill checks each round, with a marker being added for every 5 the pursued wins by, and removing a marker for every 5 the pursuer wins by. If the pursued gains 10 markers they escape, if the markers are all gone the pursuer catches them.

If neither side gains or loses a marker, the DM creates a complication to spice things up. An example for a street chase might be the pursued overturning a fruit cart, so the pursuer has to roll a Balance check or fall and lose his prey. The pursued might get cornered into an alleyway with a handy ladder nearby, turning the Street chase into a Rooftop chase, and so on.

It's a really simple system, but I enjoyed it.
>>
>>46689378
Sounds great.

I especially like the counters. They present a nice visualization.
>>
Bump thread on /tg/ right now!
>>
>>46689378

I like this. Most chase systems are contests of raw speed or endurance which, while realistic, aren't very fun. A chase scene in movies or TV is mostly a contest of complications: attacks, ambushes, rough terrain, creating obstacles, and trying to hide.
>>
>>46692452
I think trying to hide is no longer part of the chase.

It could be a special move by the pursued to end the chase early. If successful the chase ends regardless of distance. If it fails the pursuers have caught up and are within one roll.
>>
>>46685369
D&D 5e has surprisingly good chase rules. DMG page 252.
>>
>>46685369
I would say GURPS but the one time we managed to get to a chase the player just shot the guy in the back of the head.

It was a Cop game too.
>>
>>46695726
Sounds dirty.
>>
>>46685369
Spycraft had great ideas for chase contests but shitty implementation.
>>
I'm chasing this thread off page 10. It has no business there!
>>
I've always wanted to do a chase, but I've never really had the chance.
Might get the opportunity for one soon enough.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.