[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you go about making a Harry Potter tabletop roleplaying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 10016013.jpg (41KB, 292x475px) Image search: [Google]
10016013.jpg
41KB, 292x475px
How would you go about making a Harry Potter tabletop roleplaying game?
>>
>magic power is based solely on their level of love and friendship
>also give them a stat for plot armor and deus ex machinas
I don't think anything else really matters
>>
>>46606986
I wouldn't. I'd just play Magicians.
>>
>>46606986
Pretty much this >>46607028

If you're going to play an RP about magical people, tear out all the Harry Potter stuff except for maybe the relative power level of magic and start from scratch.
>>
>>46607010
That doesn't fit the world at all.
>>
>>46607160

Do you even know what Harry Potter is?
>>
I miss the quest threads.
>>
>>46607390
What do you mean? They are gone?
>>
>>46606986
Disallow anyone who thinks Methods of Rationality is good from playing.
>>
>>46607407
I meant the millie one.
>>
Make a quizz in the character creation to determine your house. Just to piss off all the autists when they get the wrong one.
>>
>>46606986
Harry Potter is totally unconcerned with the details of it's internal logic or the the rules that govern it.
This is fine for a series of novels but is really terrible to build a role playing setting out of. You'd probably want somthing very rules light.
"Knows obscure information necessary to advance the plot" should be a major skill.
>>
>>46607425
That.
It had good intentions. But then it degenerated into a Mary Sue circlejerking clusterfuck.
>>
>>46607588
I stopped reading Methods of Rationality when it had Quirrell talking about learning kungfu in a dojo and then having the kids take turns hitting Harry Potter to teach him "how to lose." Skipped right ahead to the end only to find out things got even more batshit crazy.
>>
Harry Potter, as a universe, is driven by plot convenience. New magic powers are invented by the author when and as needed, often with no prior explanation, and their limits and applications are entirely limited by what the plot needs them to do.
Given that, I conclude that it is impossible to directly translate the books into a game and maintain 100% accuracy to the source material (or even 50%) when it comes to magic. To make it work as a game, one would have to gut the source material quite significantly.

1) Introduce a free-form level-up system. Rather than "You have reached level 3, you are now dumped with a whole bunch of new spells and power", make it more like Dark Heresy, where you gain experience in little portions, and you can spend that experience almost immediately. So rather than large jumps in power every four sessions at designated levels, you get a little bit better every session. Sort of like how actual learning and studying works.

2) Character stats will be as follows.
>Physical: Character's physical ability
>Constitution: Character's health and resistances to injury
>Magical Power: Determines how powerful the spells are and what level of spell they can cast.
>Magical Skill: How quickly and efficiently they can work magic.

>Continued.
>>
>>46607890
3) Spells will be organised into levels, and the level of spell you can cast is directly proportional to your magic power score. If you have Magic Power: 4, then you can cast spells of level 4 or below (assuming you know them). In addition, the higher your power, the more powerful lower-level spells become. A power level 10 wizard throwing around an Expelliarmus will be much more likely to blast the wand from an opponents hand than a level 3 wizard would.
Magical Skill determines how quickly and easily you can cast. How difficult it is to cast a spell is proportional to your skill level. If the power rating of a spell is greater than your skill rating, then you'll take penalties on the roll and it might require more time.
>If power rating of spell exceeds your skill rating, take a penalty to casting roll which increments per point of difference between your skill and the spell's power. If the difference is 4 or more, you cannot cast the spell.
>If your skill exceeds the spell's power level of the spell, gain a bonus to casting roll which increments per point of difference. If your skill is three points higher than the power of the spell, you don't need to roll to cast unless under pressure.
> If skill rating is less than 2 points above or below the spell power rating, takes standard action (or equivalent to cast spell)
> If skill rating more than 2 points below spell power rating, requires full round action to cast.
> If skill rating more than 2 points above spell power rating, can cast as move-action equivalent.
> If skill rating more than 4 points above spell power rating, can cast as free action (max four per round)

4) Variety of skills and talents I can't be bothered to work out now. Thoughts so far, /tg/ ?
>>
>>46607378
Yes. Apparently you don't.
>>
>>46607890
>Magic Power
>Magic Skill

I think it's better to just have different skills for the different types of magic, to reflect that some people are good at Transfiguration but total shit at Charms or Dark Arts.

It'd also help prevent players from dumpstating.
>>
Why not just make your own whimsical magical academy setting? It'd be a lot easier than trying to convert something that was never meant to be played.
>>
I'd pass on any big, complex system for spellcasting.

Each type of spellcasting is a skill and give some good general guidelines for how well you need to roll for various things as well what are some hard rules on what you CAN'T do with various sorts of magic.

Like say:

Alchemy: Can do anything that any of the other skills can do, however it takes time and materials rather than being able to be done on the fly. A player can have up to <Alchemy> potions on hand at any given time.

It's a Harry potter system. The setting was fuzzy at the best of times, making hard rules for exactly how spellcasting works is kinda self defeating.

This would make magic pretty damn powerful but then...it's harry potter. Most of the time, you do solve things with magic unless you've lost your wand/it's non-applicable.
>>
>>46606986
Rip off the Gumshoe system, no really 75% of Harry Potter stories are characters bouncing off on another while they investigate weird goings on at the school falling slightly in the later books as the investigation is punctuated by running and wand shoot-outs.

You can give them bullshitting plot convenience power as a stat, or you can in Timewatch a game that uses the system.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.