[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homestuck Tabletop Game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 38

File: camp.png (414KB, 690x348px) Image search: [Google]
camp.png
414KB, 690x348px
/tg/ we are about six days off from the end of Homestuck, the longest work in the english language. Has anyone on gods green earth, at any point in the past seven years, made a half decent tabletop rpg system for it?
>>
>>46517427
1. Somebody probably made a shitty one.
2. It's got intentionally obtuse/overcomplicated systems as a running gag.
3. Grab a narrative RPG that uses descriptors, something based on FATE/*World games maybe. Considering the emphasis on ASPECTS and narratively INVOKING them, it should fit nicely.
>>
>>46517427
go back to the shadow from which you came forth
>>
File: HIMBIG.gif (104KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
HIMBIG.gif
104KB, 650x450px
>>46517476
>tfw you are already here
>>
>>46517427
>the longest work in the english language
Oh shut up.
And yeah there have been roughly eighteen different attempts at turning it into a pnp system. Latest one I heard of was called SKRUB.
>>
>>46517427
>the longest work in the english language
what about 8-bit theather?
>>
>>46517427

I ran it in pure fate core.
>>
>>46517771
Pretty sure there are bunch of pieces of outsider art that are way longer. Also, fan fiction.
And according to wikipedia, the novel "Clarissa or the History of a Young Lady" might be longer, too.
>>
>>46517771
>http://readmspa.org/stats/
>874190 words

>https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4112682/1/The-Subspace-Emissary-s-Worlds-Conquest
>Words: 4,047,350

Homestuck isn't even close.
>>
>>46517866
Can you really consider fanfiction to be a "work" though?
>>
>>46517910
Don't really see why not. I mean, it's not like Smash comes with four fucking million words worth of story or characterization or whatever the hell it is that guy writes about.
Plus there are plenty established works that are basically fanfiction of Greek mythology or the bible, aren't there?
>>
>>46517685
>>46517771
>>46517866
>>46517811
Some word counts include an estimated amount of how many words each image and flash would count as. I have seen the math, but I don't have a link
>>
There's one in development for GURPS, but it's slow going. And while I luke GURPS and think it fits fairly well, it lacks on other things where I think it should be more FATE-like.

Hrmn...burning wheel?
>>
>>46518036
Checked it earlier when I saw this thread because it made me angry, Homosuck is at like 1,300,000 words equivalent by those word counts.
>>
I haven't checked Homestuck since early 2012. What ever happened to that 3 million dollar rpg?
>>
>>46517866
>>https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4112682/1/The-Subspace-Emissary-s-Worlds-Conquest
>>Words: 4,047,350
Jesuschrist

>>46517811
Hm lets see what else wikipedia can say
>Spanning 56 volumes and 11,206,310 words, Devta is the longest continuously-published stories on record.
jesusFUCKINGchrist

>>46518960
The company, The Odd Gentlemen, they gave money to make it stole the money and spent it on developing their own products (King's Quest) and had no game at all, so the development had to be started from scratch with another company and much less cash.
>>
>>46518036
>an estimated amount of how many words each image and flash would count as
They can fuck right off. I don't even watch this shit, I just saw this post and the autistic rage kicked in.
>>
>>46517910
Even if you can't, there are still non-fanfic works that beat it, even modern ones, like Worm.
>>
>>46518982
Ha, I knew someone that spent 250 USD on that KS. So it's pretty much another Kickstarter dud I take it?
>>
>>46519072
Well, not necessarily a dud, they'll probably put out the game from the in-house studio eventually.
But it did get pretty seriously shaken.
>>
I'm not very interested in the Homestuck setting, but for an MSPA game...

Pile every even slightly adaptable piece of gaming equipment you hve on a table. Dice, tokens, cards, figurines, jenga blocks, mikado sets etc. Sort them a bit and think of weird little game mechanics you could use them for.

Give each of your players a blank paper and make them write a name on the top and a number of stats beneath. Utter Freeform.
>Age: Average++
>Cooking: Ace of Spades
>Eyes: +Good/+Doublegood
>NO ELBOWS
>[Reverse Engineering]
>Negative Smiley Face
>Double [Reverse Engineering]: Yes
>Press (+2/+4)
>Armor Class: Red-Red-Green
>Barbarian Skillset * 1/2
>8 Fatepointers
>Watson's hobble

Figure out what they mean, preferrably in-game. Make use of all of your stuff for that.
Put the players into a situation where they have an immediate and inevitable goal, then escalate the situation all the fucking time so they never catch a break. Be silly, self-referential and sarcastic.
>>
>>46517866

What about that one comic, order of the stick?

That shit's gotta be at least 100-200 words per page, easy.
>>
>>46517427

I stopped reading about three years ago. I kinda want to catch up but I'm sure I've forgotten so much that I'd have to start from the beginning and I don't have time for that, I want to have a career and a family someday.

Anyway, I'd be more interested in a Problem Sleuth RPG. We already know it has a simple stat system and it's mostly a dungeon/tower crawl.
>>
>>46519268
>That shit's gotta be at least 100-200 words per page, easy.
It's a little over thousand pages. No dice.
>>
File: 1337754185326.png (183KB, 525x871px) Image search: [Google]
1337754185326.png
183KB, 525x871px
Well, if we're at least talking fan fiction, there's always this puppy: http://archiveofourown.org/works/340777?view_full_work=true

In which our narrator, GodsGiftToGrinds, does an overarching look at the ideas behind the Replay Value universe and how a successful session should go in this exploitable, broken mess of a game called SBURB.

Replay Value, as it stands, has SBURB's Ultimate Reward being broken - it just kicks people into another session of SBURB, over and over and over again until they die. The players of this buggy, horrifying version of SBURB, known as Replayers, keep themselves going by making connections to each other through servers in the Ring.

Once upon a time it was one of three various attempts at a forum roleplay and an IRC one, and the author is trying to shoehorn it into Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine, it appears. No word on that. I myself had at some point, been sitting on some ideas and taped together rules for such a game.
>>
>>46519232
This is exactly how this should work
>>
>>46519232
So a more complicated d02?
>>
File: tumblr_lvpnh9tJ4i1qgz3yto2_500.gif (31KB, 409x448px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lvpnh9tJ4i1qgz3yto2_500.gif
31KB, 409x448px
>>46519619
Well, this is sad. I seem to have lost any and all trace of it and the other machine it would have been on naught more than a brick at this point. Distressing. Curse you Void powers. At least I know what I'm doing this weekend.
>>
>we are about six days off from the end of Homestuck

About time. Is it still any good?
>>
>>46520660
A lot of Act 6 was mediocre and occasionally just shite but I still enjoyed Meenahquest, the Felt and the dreambubble shit, and Caliborn is pure gold in ever page he's in, though from what I've heard the recent updates are actually good. Not seen the EoA6 flash though.
>>
>>46523128
I just watched it, it was pretty good.

Keeping things relevant, I'm dumping pdfs. Some of them are even graded.
>>
>>46523270
>>
>>46520660
I'll say this much; the writing reflects the constant hiatus. Expect all characterisation to go out the window, idiotic plot points to pile up, and about ten pages of nothing but ' :0 '. Vriska in particular goes to shit, having lost literally all character development, taken everything her alternate self has just for having mellowed out, and developed affections for Equius with no explanation.
>>
>>46523303
>>
File: SBURB RPG, good.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
SBURB RPG, good.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46523362

>>46523328
That's definitely fair. Some stuff is better than others-- Terezi being mopey was pretty wonky, and alt-Vriska was just bizarre, but I liked Dave and Dirk Q&A.
>>
File: SburbageWorlds.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
SburbageWorlds.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46523404
I feel I should remark that I labelled these a long time ago, and don't actually remember what I liked or disliked about any of them. I trust past me's judgement, though.
>>
>>46523440
>>
>>46523404
I'd agree with that, though I feel like if you read it all in one sitting it's a bit better than it being broken up via the hiatuses.

Also, the Dave-Dirk shit was some of the best written character stuff yet in Homestuck and was definitely my favorite Alpha Kid moment.

Also, OP here, whoever is uploading these pdfs is doing the lord's work and I thank you for it.
>>
>>46523468
>>
File: Homesmack.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Homesmack.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46523517

>>46523476
>Whoever
It's the same person you responded to, doofus. There was a pdf in the post you quoted. Are you the Seer of Void, cause you seem to have noticed nothing, ho ho.
>>
File: Homestuck Monopoly.jpg (1MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Homestuck Monopoly.jpg
1MB, 1024x1024px
>>46523578
Next up are a couple of things from old /tg/ threads pasted into text format.

http://pastebin.com/FQAFbqXT
http://pastebin.com/aNq9CEec

That's everything I have, unless anybody wants me to dump some short comics.
>>
File: shoosh.gif (40KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
shoosh.gif
40KB, 500x346px
>>46523686
you have done well sweet anon, thank you
>>
Wanna say "Don't Rest Your Head" by EvilHat augmented onto a FATE system would be a step in the right direction.
Exalted also comes to mind, once again just torn apart and throwing what's good onto a FATE narrative.
>>
File: Sburb-Guide.png (391KB, 825x2620px) Image search: [Google]
Sburb-Guide.png
391KB, 825x2620px
>>
File: 1432860005232.png (631KB, 4188x2712px) Image search: [Google]
1432860005232.png
631KB, 4188x2712px
>>46524079
That's the two I got
>>
>>46524079
>>46524103
Aren't they almost identical? I think your second has everything that's in your first one, with just a little bit more at the very end.
>>
>>46524233
Yes, it's just templated better.

thread made me want to run a sburb game... again. should I just kill myself instead?
>>
>>46524498
You should've killed yourself long ago, anon, but you've gotten this far so you might well keep going.
>>
I still have no idea what Homestuck is.
>>
>>46525879
Teen drama, convulated-as-fuck-time-bullshit, metafeces and wacky-as-in-shitty jokes
>>
>>46525879
It's a webcomic that pretty started out as a sort of fake point and click adventure game. Users send in commands on what to do next and the author draws it.

Like Problem Sleuth before it, the plot grew needlessly convoluted and the author stopped taking direct requests for what to do and just happened to read the fan theories.

And then the trolls were introduced. Grey skinned alternate reality aliens who are all various forms of assholes. Each troll took after a zodiac and they were all in their teens.

As you can imagine, zodiacs, needlessly complex plots, and 12 new characters to ship immediately had teen girls flooding the fanbase in droves, and since the author spent so much time interacting with the fans Homestuck became all about teenage drama.
>>
>>46525879
Equius is best troll
Gamzee did nothing wrong.
Karkat yells.

All you need to know.
>>
Wasn't there a Paradox Space story about tabletop games?
>>
Say what you will about homestuck but Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff is a masterpiece in the truest sense of the word
>>
>>46527997
Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff and G4M38L0RG are the greatest achievements of the modern era.
>>
File: homestuck.png (160KB, 540x302px) Image search: [Google]
homestuck.png
160KB, 540x302px
would play this so hard

also since I have nothing to contribute have art
>>
>>46529067
an art for ants i guess
>>
>>46528412
I like the way you think, anon. You're hired.
>>
File: KarkatDead.gif (13KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
KarkatDead.gif
13KB, 650x650px
>>46529104
anon I tried
>>
>>46518036
Maximum autism, as expected from homestuck fans.
>>
>>46523362

So, I'm the guy who created that one, and I'm thinking of going back and updating/re-doing it once the comic proper finishes.

So far, I'm considering the following changes:

>You still get to free-form design your abilities based on your Aspect and Attunement, but you only have a limited number of abilities known and don't get to make them up on the fly (or possibly you do, but once you've created them they're fixed).

>Before hitting God Tier, you need an appropriate item to directly/physically manifest your aspect - this item needs to make sense with how you're using it, but the ability to manifest through it doesn't increase its cost for alchemization.

>Conditions can be Personal, Location or Equipment based. Conditions of the same type can cancel each other out if one would give + and the other -, but don't stack. Conditions of different types explicitly can stack, meaning that you're no longer have no reason to take advantage of the battlefield if you already have a personal condition giving you a bonus.

I feel this nerf to Attunement is kinda necessary, since even with the limits its still pretty darn powerful.

Aside from those things, rules clarifications, grammar/spelling fixes and so on, are there any things in there you think need work?
>>
Alchemization and the subtle effects of pre-God Tier titles were easily the best parts about Homestuck.

Prove me wrong
>>
>>46529809
I'm re-reading the pdf now to give you a substantive review.
>>
File: calhead.gif (725B, 38x38px) Image search: [Google]
calhead.gif
725B, 38x38px
>>46523578
>ho ho
HEEE HEE HOO HOO HA HEE HOO HOO HOO HAA HEE HEE HOO
>>
>>46529809
Here we go:

>Give examples of Strife Specibi along with the other Netural Conditions.

>You never actually mention what the pre-tiger-get stat cap is.

>Should probably put Abilities after Advancement. Also provide some examples directly. Link is nice, but some people just won't follow it.

>Sprites and Guardians are unclear. Their statblocks list Aspect instead of Attunement.

>It talks about Sprites having Aspects, but doesn't elaborate on that or say at what point of Prototyping the Sprite gets its Aspect. They also, by RAW, get exactly one Netural Condition when Protoyped the second time, and I think one is maybe not enough.

>Guardians say they can have appropriate conditions, but does not list how many or what types. I would probably go with one of each, including a strife specibus, but that's open for testing.

Con't
>>
>>46531398
>There are no rules for telling a player how many dots they have to assign to Build Grist or Odd Grist. I would consider starting with 3 to distribute, and giving more dots to spend at level up or as significant loot.

>You need more guidelines about Alchemization. All sample items give bonuses no higher than +1. Is that the max?
Rules say difficulty of Imagination roll to alchemize something relate to how useful it is, but then they only talk about the cost in relation to utility. Maybe add a table of DCs based on size of resulting item's bonus, or scale of granted non-mathematical effect? Then again, that doesn't really fit with the difficulty modifier table later. Needs some thought.

>Step four of the attack rules talk about using imagination to come up with an advantage. I assume this is the player's imagination, not an Imagination roll or the like, but that should be made more clear.

>Some more guidelines on NPCs would be nice-- maybe some kind of tier structure to give tiers of NPCs a listed number of Positive, Negative or Neutral conditions. Could be left as 'difficulty' template to slot any NPC of a given type in at a chosen level, or could assign each type to a specific level.

>Some more detail on Denizens might also be nice, since they're going to be universally important, unlike whatever mooks or agents may or may not show up game-to-game. Specifically, I think Denizens need to have some kind of Aspect that is a direct counterpart to or alternate interpretation of their player's Aspect, and probably ought to have some Attunement and Abilities to boot.

>You need some guidelines about what kind of trigger should give you Miracle points. Some things are a lot harder to accomplish than others, and you want a trigger that will give you a point-flow at a rate that is both comparable to the other players and in line with what the game as a whole calls for.

Also, I think the Be The Other Guy system is great, and love every part of it.

Con't
>>
>>46531484
I think overall your project is pretty cool and that anything wrong with it is a fairly easy fix. If you need someone to help playtest or edit this thing, I'd love to help out.
>>
>>46530642
I dunno, I'm a big fan of the silly outfits Godhood brought about, and a real sucker for the interaction between Title and Aspect they use for their powers.
>>
>>46519310
But if you were able to add count the pictures as words by a similar algorithm to homestuck it might come out on top. OotS has some very long comics.
>>
>>46517427
I didn't have any desire to read this before, and I definitely don't have any now.
>>
>>46532571
That's cool senpai, s'your free time
>>
>>46532571
If OP's comic panels are what's making it extra unnatractive instead of just regularly unappealing like you thought it was before, they aren't actually from Homestuck, they're from some kind of alt-universe supplementary thing.

Not that I think that will convince you to read HS or anything, but even so.
>>
>>46517910
If homestuck counts shitty fan faction does too.
>>
>>46519122
At least it isn't dead. I dropped $5 on it back in the day, and would love to see something come from it.
>>
SBURB in GURPS. Thoughts?
>>
>>46517685
What about a skirmish wargame?
>>
>>46519619
This makes me sad because it hasn't been updated in 3 years.
>>
>>46531398
>>46531484
>>46531507

Thanks so much for the feedback! I can absolutely address the "doesn't specify numbers, processes, etc." issues. I'll definitely include a "bestiary" of sorts in an upcoming release, along with rules for designing NPCs beyond "wing it.'

The alchemization issues are definitely something I need to think about further - it's the system that I'm least confident in, and I have little idea how it should scale. At the very least, I'll include a table with suggested modifiers for the cost and more examples of item price points.
>>
>>46517427
Kill yourself, seriously do it. Dont bring this cancerous ultra-faggotry to /tg/.
>>
>>46535367
Hey, no problem. I kind of collect these sburb games, and I think yours is probably my favorite.
>>
>>46519619
>Once upon a time it was one of three various attempts at a forum roleplay and an IRC one, and the author is trying to shoehorn it into Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine, it appears. No word on that. I myself had at some point, been sitting on some ideas and taped together rules for such a game.

Actually, that's basically finished. The author of that's been working for around a year on it with help from some people, and soft-released the other day. (Same guys that did that Nobilis AU where the Imperators and Nobles take a bit of the World Ash and turn it into a giant spaceship to escape the destruction of the whole world). It's like 85% done.

http://orngjce223.net/chuubo/A%20User's%20Guide%20to%20the%20Apocalypse%20unfinished.pdf
>>
File: 1353514826385.png (7KB, 644x447px) Image search: [Google]
1353514826385.png
7KB, 644x447px
woah damn a lot of stuff in here.

I was going to be part of a FATE sburb game from here but due to scheduling it eventually fell apart.
>>
File: CARLOS.jpg (20KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
CARLOS.jpg
20KB, 500x333px
>>46536699
I have suffered that same fate
>>
>>46517427
Godbound
It can do exalted, its sure as, can do Homestuck.
>>
>>46524233

The guy who created >46524079 >>46524103 here, yeah the former is just a text screencap of the image. I first posted the text I'd written up, while I was editing it into the big image. In hindsight I'd rearrange the image so you didn't have to scroll left-to-right as much, although it isn't a huge deal.

I've also developed different ideas about the arrangement and structure of the Classes and Aspects since, but the other maxims (ie Thieves tend to be pragmatic and selfish, Bards have subversive powers and natures) remain true and well grounded in the comic.

When I have my personal computer I'll share some of the models I've been playing around with, after watching the End of Act 6 ( which is magnificent by the way - the post-resumption updates have been a return to form after the fast and loose days)

>>46524498
Make sure it's on your quest bed.

>>46529465
That's funny, there's a 40K thread on /co/ right now where they're calling Warhammer only slightly less autistic than MLP.
>>
>>46525879
I will post my short non-spoiler summary when I'm back at my PC.

>>46527294
I remember one about Terezi trying (and failing) to make the Meteor crew play DnD. That was a PXS best, with Dave correctly pointing out there's no such thing as a bad dwarf.

>>46534568
I remember once thinking about making The Alternian Empire as a cross-over invasion army in 40K. That and The Felt as mercenaries. Sounds like a cool project.
>>
>>46525879
>>46539318
Back, here it is:

Four thirteen year olds internet friends get together to play a magic video game that has the power to create and destroy worlds, which takes the form of an incredibly difficult and convoluted RPG-slash-lifesim with gods as opposition. One of these gods turns out to be another group of more-disfunctional internet friends, who further turn out to be grey-skinned, orange-horned aliens from another universe. The game ends up getting totally sequence-broken, and the main character's sister accidentally empowers a minor villain, who becomes such a threat that the kids are forced to reset reality to buy themselves prep time. Meanwhile, an evil child with a green skull for a head kills his nicer near-identical sister and collects an army of timetravelling puppet people, gradually learning to time travel himself and take over the universe.

The comic would be impossible to present properly over any medium other than the internet due to the proliferation of moving gif images and flash videos-and-games amidst a click-to-turn-page narrative, although books have been sold as supplements. It is the largest comic on the internet by a substantial margin, with a devoted cult following and lingo and a large fleshed-out universe, including a comic-within-the-comic that can be browsed independently. The comic has been on a string of long hiatuses for the last few years, and there has been some controversy. Now it's ending at last, and it's been pretty damn good again.
>>
>>46539301
> That's funny, there's a 40K thread on /co/ right now where they're calling Warhammer only slightly less autistic than MLP.

Yes, and? Nobody here is going to deny that, it's just that you're supposed to realize it's autistic and have fun with it, not take it seriously.
>>
File: Fraymotif-Menu Thought Full.png (125KB, 1232x952px) Image search: [Google]
Fraymotif-Menu Thought Full.png
125KB, 1232x952px
>>46539301
Meanwhile here's some of the faffing about I've made about the Heroic Title system since. Again it's just winking at various patterns and trying out theories to fit, the core observations in the big picture are equally valid regardless.
>>
File: go on.png (71KB, 2708x512px) Image search: [Google]
go on.png
71KB, 2708x512px
>>46539567
I really don't think you're disagreeing with me here.

>>46539572
This is the second one I think would be alright to post. The rest are esoteric and too mindfucky to be useful as a gaming guide.
>>
>>46539572
>>46539639
Dissembly is not the opposite if assembly. To assemble is to put together, but to dissemble is to lie, not to take apart. That would be disassembly.
>>
>>46540011
Deliberately so. The Void is used as an obfuscating or concealing force in the comic. That Dissemble sounds like the opposite of Assemble (and it is if you go back far enough - Assimilis/Dissimilis means Same/Different) is a happy coincidence.
>>
File: NuPairs.png (132KB, 1232x952px) Image search: [Google]
NuPairs.png
132KB, 1232x952px
>>46539572
A second iteration, removing some of the junk in the picture and including key terms for what unites each pair of aspects.
>>
>>46540097
You might want to do something to the background to improve legibility on the really light coloured text, right now the contrast is low enough on some of them that it's a little painful. Also, your new column doesn't use any of the same shades as the old ones-- I don't know if that's intentional or not, but it looks like a weird mistake.
>>
>>46540659
I swear to god everyone on this planet must have worse monitors than myself. Is it really that difficult to see the text? I mean I considered changing it with the last edit, but I wanted to preserve the colour fidelity.

I ask you, how do you think the new column colours could have been by accident? There's a palette of all the colours used right along the top of the image, so it's not like I was unaware or lacked access to the old colours.
>>
>>46540755
>I ask you, how do you think the new column colours could have been by acciden
It's so jarring I wanted to believe no one would do it on purpose.

As for color fidelity, that's all well and good, but Light and especially Hope are just eye-straining no matter how good your monitor is.
>>
>>46541216
There's nothing jarring about different sections of a summary using variations on the same pallette. I think this is just your particular sensitivities. It's more plausible that my monitor being a masterpiece of colour rendition.
>>
>>46530642
the way instanced spacetime and infinite timelines abiding by causality in general were juggled competently for a good 7 years has got to be an achievement.
>>
>>46530642
I have a huge hard on for the idea of god tiers and how each combination is very crazy and different.
>>
>>46540097
>casual aspects
>>
Time to go down the rabbit hole. How does this thread feel about non-canon classes and aspects? Are there any you specifically like? Dislike?
>>
>>46544408
I don't like non-canon classes and aspects in general because I think there being twelve of each is some solid mythological symmetry. Also, with classes I think it's hard to find a new one that's sufficiently distinct from the canon ones. That's also a concern for new aspects, though to a much smaller extent.

That said, I would be on board with an entirely separate system of twelve new classes and twelve new aspects to replace the canon ones, since that way you can rehash concepts without stepping on the toes of canon stuff. For example, a Judge class that's kind of like a Mage and kind of like a Prince is a lot more reasonable when neither Mages nor Princes exist in your session.

That also being said, I think the canon classes and aspects are so good you'd be hard pressed to find twelve more of each to make such a new system for a session and be anywhere near on par with the canon stuff, and even if you did, you would feel the lack of them.
>>
>>46544699
Why twelve more? Why not just a few more matched pairs?
>>
>>46544408
Personally I think they are 100% okay. I don't think skaia would only have 14 classes and 12 aspects.

I like the idea of taking a class/aspect and making it as abstract as possible, and taking it as literal as you can.
I'm a big fan of "spark". One small thing causing an unstoppable surge, inspiring this feeling others.

So a class that takes a small instance of its aspect and can cause it to explode outwards or just as easily be snuffed out.
>>
Here's a few:

Classes:
Brute - [Active] One who becomes the embodiment of their aspect.
Guide - [Passive] One who shows others the way of their aspect.

Ward - [Active] One who protects/guards their aspect.
Foe - [Passive] One who is destined to destroy their aspect.

Smith - [Active] One who restores and creates their aspect. (possibly redundant)

Aspects:
Bone - "While flesh rots, bones remain." Represents legacy, tradition, and the wisdom of elders. Also tied elementally to bone/necromancy.
Spark - Represents creativity, passion. Elementally electricity.
Rime - Represents lethargy, depression, and oppression. Elementally ice.
Steam or Coal - Represents technological innovation (the first chemical engines). Represents progress, a push forward, and looking to the future.
Glass - Represents perspective, context, and inspection.
>>
Roses are red
Violets are blue
This comic is shit
And so are you
>>
>>46545122
no gonna lie, I stopped reading the comic when act 6 dropped.

That said sburb is a neat setting and I like it.
>>
>>46544809
Twelve is mystically significant (Technically there are fourteen, but I'm ignoring the extra pair of Lord/Muse since they're a special case).

There are twelve signs in both the solar and the lunar zodiac, there are twelve trials of Hercules, there are twelve apostles, twelve petals on the lotus of the heart chakra. It divides by 2, 3, 4, and 6, which are also all significant numbers. In a system that relies on symbolism to the extent that sburb does, twelve is a good number.

And like I said, the goal is to entirely replace the canon stuff, rather than supplement it.

>>46545011
This is what I mean about it being hard to get sufficiently distinct.

Foe is very similar to Prince, for example, since Prince's thing is destruction--typically through use of their aspect, but in many cases of their aspect. Dirk's first act as Prince of Heart is to utterly demoralize Derse by making a gruesome display out of someone, destroying the Heart of the populace. Foe definitely has some room for difference, in that it's passive and also in that the destruction it's supposed to bring seems to be more unintentional than not, but even so-- it would stand up a lot better without having to compete with the Prince, which is why I think a bunch of separate systems make more sense than cramming more into the original. Like, when you boot Sburb, it randomly chooses from multiple sets of twelve classes and then from multiple sets of twelve aspects, and then puts the selections together to form the pool from which it assigns classpects.
>>
>>46545238
Even so, some of these are sufficiently cool that they could work in such a new system. I particularly like Bone and Rime-- Bone is a little Doom-y and a little Blood-y, but is pretty thematic, and if Doom or Blood are not in the same pool, it definitely works.
>>
Here's one that's been crunched from the ground up, rather than being a conversion, and seems pretty good

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y_4Sj-L3MQy-j0w66pFmELiwP8mKwUzx7CZPPw3ERJk/edit?pref=2&pli=1

There's also a playtest, which I have not read

http://godtierrpg.tumblr.com/acrossworlds

it's in beta and evidently kind of broken, but it looks promising
>>
>>46545238
Twelve is a mythological number... you're ignoring that it is a mythological number in the setting only because there happened to be 12 trolls...

Ignoring that, what makes the current set of twelve special that they play off of each other specifically? Like, for example, if you replaced Prince/Bard with Ward/Foe would it matter? As long as you don't have both a prince and a foe nothing really changes.
>>
>>46545436
Twelve is a mystical number in-setting because it's a mystical number in real life (to the extent that numbers can be mystical, that is) and Hussie decided to reflect that along with all of the other mythological references he put in.

As for the replacement thing, the problem is that for one thing, a lot of new classes step on more than one set of toes, so a straight swap doesn't always fix the problem. For another thing, you can end up with a cascade effect of replacement, where, for example, you replace Prince with Foe and you're fine on that front, but as a side effect of that swap you've replaced Bard with Ward, and maybe Ward steps on Maid's toes a little, but if you pull out Maid you're also pulling out its partner and you have to replace them both with some thing and it just gets messy.
>>
>>46517427
Longest work in the English language meme, not even in the top 10, not even in the top 10 in our lifetime
>>
>>46545630
>>
https://discord.gg/0wD2NJtSbFWzFPyo

Putting some feelers out there for a game powered by GURPS.
>>
>>46517427
So many fucking class/aspect combinations
If you really want to stat them all, be my guest
>>
>>46545011
>Rime - Represents lethargy, depression, and oppression. Elementally ice.
All the canon aspects have both positive and negative facets. Either rework Rime or find a way to put a positive spin on lethargy, depression, and oppression. No, simply giving it to your enemies isn't enough.
>>
>>46546306
You should provide some examples of other aspect's negative traits :^)
>>
>>46546306
Patience?
>>
>>46546306
Order, preservation, calmness.
>>46546350
>>
File: let me tell you abouthomestuck.jpg (244KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
let me tell you abouthomestuck.jpg
244KB, 1280x853px
>>46525879
It's a semi-animated webcomic that starts out with some kids fucking around, then the whole world gets put at stake, then the whole universe, and then the multiverse. Time-travel features prominently, as does death and resurrection. The cast has ballooned from four to eight to probably something like fifty, with some characters being alternate-universe dopplegangers. This only serves to increase the teen drama. Even after the character list gets pruned, you still have probably like 15 important characters.

Basically, it's a steaming pile of hot shit.
>>
I tried to flesh out a game once. A huge, convoluted game based on one of the biggest, non-circlejerking, non-romantic fanfictions around, Sburb Glitch Faq. This one was shaped more like a bunch of FAQs made by actual Sburb players for other inexperienced Sburb players than like an actual fanfiction. It actually added some nice original content to the long parts of the game we don't get to see, like quests, actual powers and influences of NPCs, and even how most stats work.

It was a huge amount of shit and I had LOTS of time to waste, so I started compiling everything I read into a game, but stopped after the third playtest because real life catched up with me, and because some players fucked shit up beyond imagining. And I was being a bad GM at the time.

The current version of the game is still in .doc format or so I remember. It's something 243 pages of a rules-heavy imbalanced game, and it's still a long way from being complete with all player abilities and basic questing.
If anyone wants to know more about the playtests or the game itself, feel free to ask.

On a different note, I was the one who also created the Filthy Frank RPG in less on a very bad day and posted it here on /tg/. Just saying.
>>
>>46546363
Order already falls under the aspect of Doom, and preservation arguably does with Time or Doom as well. Calmess seems pretty good, though.
>>
>>46546706
Doom is all about inevitability and restriction, very law-like. It deals only in flat YESes and NOs, no wishy-washy maybes. This is why coding has such an association with Doom in the comic.
>>
File: breaking homestuck.jpg (240KB, 1106x645px) Image search: [Google]
breaking homestuck.jpg
240KB, 1106x645px
>>
File: hey lets make a sburb rpg guys!.jpg (52KB, 619x806px) Image search: [Google]
hey lets make a sburb rpg guys!.jpg
52KB, 619x806px
>>
Does anyone have that Classpect Chart where the classes are set up in rows and columns explaining what each actually does, and the aspects are a mishmash captioned with "there is no possible way of knowing".
>>
File: tumblr_n4jr4tRqp91qjex15o1_1280.jpg (329KB, 842x1117px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4jr4tRqp91qjex15o1_1280.jpg
329KB, 842x1117px
Maybe it's the fact that I haven't read Homestuck in such a long time that I lost sight of who the characters are, but Terezi's recent mopey shit about her relationship with Vriska made zero sense to me, and it feels like I've lost touch with a lot of the characters over time.

I also think that the Alpha trolls were not fleshed out nearly enough, even if it would've bloated the length of the comic a fair deal, I feel there should be more done with them. As it is we barely talk to half of them extensively, even within those flash game sequences we only bit a minor snippet of their character, and honestly I think some of those characters are more interesting than their beta counterparts.
>>
>>46549140
Reminder that hivebent, which was originally supposed to be a small detour and done as quickly as possible, lasted for over a year.
>>
File: tumblr_mglnmc4hpn1qfe7z2o1_500.png (197KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mglnmc4hpn1qfe7z2o1_500.png
197KB, 500x500px
>>46550926
I'm aware of how absurd things can be, but at the end of hivebent I actually had come to enjoy many of the troll characters, whether it be from Stockholm Syndrome or otherwise I still enjoyed them more than if there had been virtually no mention of them at all.

I get that Homestuck was supposed to focus mostly on the kids, but given the fact that the trolls have become such an integral part of the homestuck story and universe it's more than a bit of a letdown to not see the alpha trolls get even half of what the alpha kids got.
>>
>>46551208
I don't know, I think I would have gotten Troll fatigue. I think it also parallels kind of nicely with how much the Beta group actually knew their ancestors-- the four kids lived with them and new them fairly well, even if they didn't understand them, and subsequently get to know the alternate versions of those people quite well, and begin to actually understand them after all.

Meanwhile, the trolls only have ancient stories about their ancestors, and barely know anything about what they're actually like, and when they meet the alternate versions of those ancestors, they still barely know or understand them at all.

The Alpha trolls are also a lot more caricature-y than the Beta trolls, who are themselves pretty caricature-y to begin with. I don't know that I could bear to see Kankri fleshed out more, for example.
>>
>>46546041
this has basically turned into homestuck RPG general discussion. just saying
>>
>>46534033

Could work, would need some hand waving for some over powered shit.
>>
>>46544699
>I don't like non-canon classes and aspects in general because I think there being twelve of each is some solid mythological symmetry. Also, with classes I think it's hard to find a new one that's sufficiently distinct from the canon ones. That's also a concern for new aspects, though to a much smaller extent.

But acording to Hussie there's a Hero of Pluchiertude[sp]

So really you can't argue.
>>
>>46554526
b...but... muh neat categories and boxes everything has to fit in!
>>
File: 1436331375707.png (81KB, 610x550px) Image search: [Google]
1436331375707.png
81KB, 610x550px
Posting this fun little fan-made guide to SBURB. It has tons of content to fill in the aspects of the game we never got to see and a couple interesting Classpects.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/340777?view_full_work=true
>>
File: 1458004704645.jpg (299KB, 994x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1458004704645.jpg
299KB, 994x1920px
>>46535784
>>46517427
This one is probably the most complete so far

The main downside is that it uses Chuubo's Magical Wish Granting Engine, which is almost unplayable (although at this point she's done more work explaining it than the original author ever did)

One of the characters is based on /v/, considering his chumhandle is wagglanGimmicks
>>
>>46554526
Don't forget that Hussie himself is canonically a Waste of Space
>>
File: 1458730175397.jpg (539KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1458730175397.jpg
539KB, 800x800px
>>46519232
This is actually pretty clever. With a little work it could be easily adapted for convention play, there are always a fuckton of Homestuck fans at those.

Too bad most of them showed up around the time the trolls were introduced, and weren't there for Problem Sleuth.
>>
File: 1409571600088.png (349KB, 3500x1969px) Image search: [Google]
1409571600088.png
349KB, 3500x1969px
>>46552181
I can see the good parallel there, guess I never thought of it that way before, but I don't know if I agree with the troll fatigue.

There were plenty of times where a character didn't interest me or was plain boring in the original Hivebent arc, like Equius or Feferi, so I don't think it'd be any different from the original in that sense.

Admittedly listening to Kakri preach unendingly might get a little tedious, but then so was reading Kankri's rants at the beginning of Hivebent, besides there are too many interesting characters in the Alpha troll pool for a second Hivebent to not be justifiable in my mind.

I'd totally be down to watch Porrim whore it up while being a total fucking hypocrite in her preaching, or watch Cronus make an ass out of himself, hell I'd even tolerate Kurloz and Meulin for a dozen or so pages to learn more about them.
>>
>>46519268
I've read both OotS and Homestuck, and OotS is nowhere near as wordy as Homestuck can be.
>>
File: HOOHOO.gif (73KB, 600x725px) Image search: [Google]
HOOHOO.gif
73KB, 600x725px
How would /tg/ stat the BIG MAN.

Any system.
>>
>>46557236
STR; FuCK YOu
CON: FuCK YOu
DEX: FuCK YOu
AGI: FuCK YOu
WIL: FuCK YOu
PER: FuCK YOu
INT: 1
POW: 1
>>
>>46532473
Homestuck is largely told through chatlogs, sometimes hundreds of messages long, going on for multiple pages.

That's where the word count comes from. There's very few words in the actual images.
>>
>>46557567
He means in the "a picture is worth a thousand words" sense, where the pictures end up saving what could add up to be quite a lot of words.
>>
>>46518983
>watch

good job invalidating yourself
>>
File: HEEHEE.gif (1008KB, 1280x1039px) Image search: [Google]
HEEHEE.gif
1008KB, 1280x1039px
>>46557280
>>
File: HAHA.gif (217KB, 500x623px) Image search: [Google]
HAHA.gif
217KB, 500x623px
>>46557956
>>
File: tg_playing_the_game.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
tg_playing_the_game.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>46557979
>>
>>46557997
>not averagePC.jpg
>>
>>46517427
you would have to railroad hardcore to keep any time travel shenanigans straight, though. Unless you do the doomed timeline thing and make them try again from a certain point.
>>
>>46517866
but haven't you heard? a picture's worth a thousand words
>>
>>46535417
>stop liking what I don't like! WAAAHH!
Keep crying, bitch-baby
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.