[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a proper way for fey to troll PCs with illusions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_mqayjgYvYp1sazby5o1_500.jpg (143KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqayjgYvYp1sazby5o1_500.jpg
143KB, 495x700px
What is a proper way for fey to troll PCs with illusions?
>>
>>46481914
Tell them what they perceive. If they get suspicious, let them roll for it.
>>
They see mirages in the desert when actually they're in a sylvan forest the whole time.
>>
>>46482013
That's pretty fucking epic. Can we go with small magical powers? Just something for the lulz?
>>
They make this thing where they tap on someones shoulder and immediately change to the other side. All the time.
>>
>>46481914

The right way to do it is to make them think they are seeing illusions when what they see is real.

>You come upon a deep rift in the caves. A bridge spans it, but there's something... strange. An almost imperceptible mirthful tension in the air, and a sense that you are being watched.
>Player: "I roll to disbelieve. Natural 20!"
>DM consults something behind his screen.
>The air shimmers, and the bridge seems to waver before your very eyes... and then settles again, looking just as it did before.
>>
>>46482294
>natural 20 on skill checks
>>
>>46482319
First off its not a skill check genius, will save, and he was making fun of a dumb player anyway
>>
An illusory gold piece on the floor that the PCs can't manage to pick up no matter what they try.
>>
>>46482294

>but there's something... strange. An almost imperceptible mirthful tension in the air, and a sense that you are being watched.

Isn't that giving it away?

I know a lot of read-aloud text does this (e.g. describing one chest in more detail, since it's trapped), but surely the point of an illusion is that it's just like the real thing? It's not a very effective illusion otherwise.
>>
>>46481914
Hide all of the doorknobs
>>
>>46482389

Oh my bad, I completely misinterpreted your post.

Good idea, but it still feels like metagaming, just in the opposite direction?
>>
>>46482319

>the dice system I use is the most important of the games I play!

Who fucking cares?
So sick of this meme.
Rolling dice is not gameplay.
>>
>>46481914
Illusionary bridges have so much potential. Also making it seem like they're going in circles so they backtrack for no reason.
>>
>>46481914
Give them descriptions that seem to make sense, but don't.
Or alternatively, describe stuff in a weird way
>Alright, the 3 of you walk through the copse of trees.
>"Imma track for tracks. Sneacky Beacky!"
>You do find tracks, and tell the other 3 people in the group about them.
>"Aww yea, Look at these... wait, other /3/ people?"
>You see 2 people besides yourself.
>>
>>46482389
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it, he was saying make the players think there is one when there isn't
>>
>>46482399

Hah.
I like this one.
>>
>>46482412
That's not what he's saying. Nat 20, as in auto success, only works in the context of a crit and crits only happen in combat.
>>
>>46482427
I dont know how to delete a post from a phone, but i see you figured it out. Feel free to ignore my snark
>>
"The field of flowers blooms in the moonlight"
"You feel the sand crunch underneath your feet as you traverse through the woods"
"Your torch casts shadows of things you're fairly sure aren't there"
"You suddenly notice that your shadows act with a delay of about half a second."
>>
>>46482456
Regardless 20 is as high as you can get, so it's something to be excited about
>>
>>46482427
>>46482478

It's okay, I deserve it.
>>
>>46482427

>>46482294 here

No...

I was saying make the players think there ISN'T a bridge when there is.

Hence: >make them think they are seeing illusions when what they see is real.
>>
>>46482481
>shadows
Fucking graphics card must be shitting out
>>
>>46482423
>unsure if subtle hint
fry.jpg
>or if GM just can't count

3/10, lame gimmick.
>>
>>46482526

Which is what he was saying.

>he was saying make the players think there is one [an illusion, NOT a bridge] when there isn't

Oh god what have I started?
>>
>>46482526
Right when i said is one i meant illusion not bridge, i understand the confusion
>>
>>46482569
>>46482578

Comprehension circle complete.

Gonna go crack a cold one.
>>
>>46482569
Illusory bridge, but there's a real invisible bridge 10 feet to one side of it.
>>
>>46482673
LOL
>>
>>46481914
They can make illusion of tree and then kill players. This trick works even without illusion.
>>
Illusory cover. It still grants them the +5 AC bonus, since the player characters think it's solid.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.