[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 405
Thread images: 33

File: Greenflame Blade.jpg (141KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Greenflame Blade.jpg
141KB, 1024x683px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What class need new archetypes the most?
>>
>>46329624
Druids. They're the only class that has been entirely ignored, even in UA.
>>
File: image.jpg (240KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
240KB, 1215x717px
Has anyone tried barbarian/monk?

I feel like it could be really fun... Dexterity + constitution instead of wisdom, you could max strength instead of dexterity...

Anyone try it?
>>
File: Castle Dracula.jpg (1MB, 1500x808px) Image search: [Google]
Castle Dracula.jpg
1MB, 1500x808px
>>46323936
See, I like them because in my opinion they helped flesh Ravenloft out into a more coherent setting and not just a loose jumble of horror tropes. You're right about 3e/5e though. Across all editions, I think there's a bad habit of "horror" turning into "adventure with a horror theme".

Personally, I believe that something like RQ 6 with some houserules is a way better system to run Ravenloft.[/spoiler
>>
as a total noob..what is this Unearthed arcana stuff ? is it official ? what does it do ?
>>
>>46329666
What archetypes do druids need, Satan?
>>
>>46329747
They're official playtest materials, mostly. They release them so you'll play them and provide feedback so they know if they should change anything about it before it gets printed officially somewhere.
>>
>>46329765
Circle of the Swarm
Circle of Seasons
Circle of the Wild Hunt
And a circle that's a bad port of Dragon Shaman to appease Dragonfags
>>
>>46329689
It'd be pretty MAD. Barbarian features specifically require you to make melee attacks using Str, so probably the best option is to go Str/Con and lose some of the power of the monk's Wis-based features. Your AC would be rubbish as normal for a barbarian, but you wouldn't be as tough due to fewer HP and gaining bear damage resistance later than usual.
>>
>>46329851
Is DMsGuild any help?
>>
>>46329747
Something to do with aberrations
>>
>>46329951
Are Bloodhunter and Blood Magic still in the top 5 on the site? If so, then no, and there is no hope for that site beyond quick cash-ins for homebrewers from these thread.
>>
>>46329951
Generally speaking The DMsG is never really any help. Outside the top sellers list everything is utter rubish. Which is a real shame sadly. Granted it isnt like no one saw that comeing
>>
Has any official material ever done anything with the Far Realm beyond "it's where some monsters come from"?
>>
What class is most similar to an air elemental in human form? Tempest Cleric?
>>
>>46330338
Moon Druid
:^)
>>
Recently started OotA, and the DM let another player start with a winged Tiefling. How good do you think the fly speed will be in this campaign?
>>
Would you a halfling monk? i personally think it'd be awesome to rp midget kung fu
>>
>>46329851
I really miss Swarm Druid
>>
>>46330414
Basically Yoda in Attack of the Clones
>>
>>46330414
Would I play a halfling monk? Hell yeah - monk makes up for the halfling's decreased mobility, lack of heavy weapons doesn't affect the monk at all, and reduced fumbles is great when you're turning out 4 attacks per turn.

Would I RP a halfling monk? Sure, though I don't see that the race/class combination necessarily implies anything about the personality of the character.

Would I a halfling monk? Probably, I guess. Are they cute?
>>
>>46330414
I have a funny mental image of orcs swinging wildly at each other as a Lightfoot monk leaps from foe to foe, grappling and using them as cover to hide
>>
Kinda off topic but mobile isn't letting me start new topics and there's no character art thread.

Does anyone have that art of the ripped shirtless wizard summoning some spirit next to a terrified girl while a dude watches, also terrified, from the doorway?
>>
>>46330414
>>monks get shortsword proficiency
yes

i could see shadow or open hand.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 351x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 351x512px
>>46330338
Depends what level. For level 1?
I mean, go air gensai silver dragon sorcerer. Ray of frost is definitely a blast of icy wind, gust, thunderclap... Uhhh message? Chill touch?

Then for level 1 you grab expeditious retreat and Ice knife.

You can levitate once a day, which is great, and you don't need to breathe, which can be used creatively.

Thinking about it, lightning might be better thematically. But shocking grasp is lame. The dexterity and constitution bonus will help.
>>
>>46330546
Don't forget that Ghostwise even get the Wisdom bonus! The telepathy isn't as good for them as it is for druids, but could be fantastic for a Shadow monk being stealthy.
>>
>>46330338
Have you considered that being an air elemental isn't really a class?
>>
>>46331046
>>help I don't know what a character concept is :(
It's ok anon I got u

Look into the athletics skill too
>>
>>46330375
Considering most of the campaign takes place underground, I'd say not very good.
>>
>>46329851
>>46330420

There is a Swarm Druid on DMsGuild, but take heed of >>46330005 and >>46330024.
>>
>>46331218

That's good to hear.
>>
>>46331287
wouldn't want a player to have fun things.
>>
File: CyunEkW.jpg (174KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
CyunEkW.jpg
174KB, 816x1056px
>>46331242
I found this one a while back, seems pretty cool and not necessarily too strong

If I end up not having to DM CoS then I might go for this
>>
>>46331307

You're right, I wouldn't.
>>
File: 1448690848618.png (2MB, 933x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1448690848618.png
2MB, 933x1352px
>>46330631
I don't have the original, sorry.
>>
>>46331689
>>
File: Screencap.png (152KB, 797x446px) Image search: [Google]
Screencap.png
152KB, 797x446px
Hello everyone.
I have been painstakingly compiling an excel spreadsheet which is a simple list of spells in 5e. The idea with his spreadsheet is upon mousing over the spell you want, a comment pops up containing a screencapture of the spell itself. I'm not entirely sure WHY I'm doing this, I'm aware you can just google it, but this feels much quicker to me. I plan on attempting some conditional formatting so that I can filter or at least highlight "WIZARD LEVEL 3 EVOCATION" spells.
Pic is the sheet.
>>
>>46329689
There's an Eldritch Knight build for a grappler that feels fairly animalistic fighting.
>>
>>46332054
m8 there's spellviewer software in the OP
>>
>>46332054
Keep going anon
>>
>>46332102
Yeah I know. As I said I'm aware it is completely useless.
>>
>>46330414
No. Fuck halflings.

I'd play a gnome or kobold monk though.
>>
>>46332137
>Fuck Halflings
So you *would* a halfling.
>>
>>46331313
I dunno, anon.

It's cool, but it doesn't really feel Druid-y to me.
>>
>>46331142
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally down with the oldschool "race as class" mindset, it just doesn't really fit 5e. If bro wants to play as an air elemental, bro should work with his DM to brew up an air elemental race.
>>
>>46332218
I agree if I was inclined to create a similar druid circle I would fluff it as a natural force of destruction and pestilence to keep nature and humanity in check. Less abilities centered around transforming into a swarm and more on the ability to devour crops and animals. Also spreading disease but that kind of firmly puts it in evil territory.
>>
>>46332345
If it wasn't clear i meant the abilities in >>46331313 are too mechanically dependent on being in swarm form and don't really evoke any druidic or mystical feelings.
>>
>>46332345
>>46332385
That could almost be just another land circle.

Mostly I don't know what thematic/mechanical hole this fills. Were I to do a Swarm Circle, it would be a summoning archetype.
>>
>>46332054
i recommend http://ephe.github.io/grimoire/
>>
>>46332480
I didn't really fully explain myself so it's so no surprise it comes off sounding that way but i meant to really distance myself from the original idea posted by that anon. I think being able to transform into a swarm might be cool but all of the abilities you gain would be dependent on summoning or gathering animals and making them special instead of just gaining a bunch of swarm related abilities yourself. Which is what the original image does and it's really just a different flavored circle of the moon in that regard.
>>
>>46332544
I rather wish they had some means of filtering out splat content.
>>
>>46332625
honestly i forgot people play without the elemental evil spells and the attack cantrips from scag
>>
File: 1454316503056.jpg (157KB, 800x1088px)
1454316503056.jpg
157KB, 800x1088px
>>46332054

You're fighting the good fight anon, here, have a thing
>>
Yo, where's all the homebrew links in the pastebin? All there is is the stuff to make a homebrew, but what happened to the dropbox?
>>
>>46332544
>http://ephe.github.io/grimoire/
this only has class and level. no school makes it pretty shitty.
>>
>>46329877
Surprisingly its only as MAD as a normal monk, since normal monks need to prioritize DEX/CON/WIS you just switch to STR/DEX/CON. If you go shadow monk, the literal only thing you would use wisdom for is your stunning strike DC. In return you finally get to make a good grapple monk, which is what everyone loses their shit over. You are also hella tough because of your rages.

You could pull off the whole thing with only 1 level in barbarian too, though more would get you more rages (and not much else).
>>
I'm thinking about making a barbarian/druid shaman-style goliath backup character. I'd go 5 levels for barbarian choosing the totem path and getting extra attack and then going moon druid only.
I think flameblade would be pretty cool with extra attack and unarmed defense and rage is pretty good for wildshape.
But I don't know whether and if how intensively to go for physical stats as con or str and I'm worrying that my spells will be useless as I'm having lvl 3 spells at char-level 10. Does anyone have some advice or ideas for that?
>>
>>46332667
Yeah, where's all the ways to make elemental monks not shit?
>>
>>46329689
Why not just make a barbarian with tavern brawler? Your fists may not hit as hard at later levels but even monks use weapons until they get their fists upgraded to D8s.
>>
>>46332870
its like you don't want to be a shadow monk/barbarian teleporting berserker wtf is wrong with you
>>
>>46332914
>Teleports above you
>Unzips Greataxe
>>
Is Purify Food and Drink as good as I'm thinking it is for OotA? Was just looking for spells to take MCing into Cleric at level 2 and I saw this. Might be cool.
>>
>>46332952
you wouldn't like me when i'm angry
>>
>>46332914
eh I prefer the in your face style of combat rather than running into shadows to get a jump on someone. Plus the later level benefits of barbarian appeal to me more that going a monk/barbarian hybrid. That's just me though.
>>
>>46332969
It's definitely a useful spell, but what are you getting out of MC into cleric before level 4 that you feel is worth pushing back your first ASI or an extra attack by level 5?
>>
>>46333015

I have a theme that I'm going for and I'm well aware of the mechanical aspects I'll be sacrificing. I'm going to go for it anyway. Luckily, I can stand behind Ront (far behind) for the first few levels.
>>
>>46332969
Its helpful if your DM decides the water/mushrooms in the underdark are tainted for whatever reason. Whats better to get is create water, because you can create enough water in one day for a large amount of your party and any prisoners who you managed to save. That allows the foragers to focus more on getting food during your travels.
>>
>>46332726
I'm doing something similar, but kinda opposite

Barb-rogue-fighter goliath that lives for hunting things and eating them, rather than turn into them
>>
>>46333031
Ah, that's good then. If it fits your concept, then you're making the right choice in going for it. We need more players like you, anon. Godspeed.
>>
>>46329689

I've played a monk with a dip in barbarian

The +2 damage on every hit is pretty good with 4 attacks per round
>>
>>46333083
Wow, you actually managed to get to level 6 as a STR monk?
>>
My friend and are are completely new to RPGs, and we're about to finish LMoP.

However, we've been looking at switching to Lot5R. Could anyone who's played both chime in on how hard it is to learn compared to 5e?
>>
>>46333081

A-am I on some kind of bizarro /tg/?

>>46333065

Well, we ended our first session in a room full of mushrooms. I figure at least most of them have to be poisonous, and I fully expect to run into more poisonous food. I'm the only human in the group.

Hm...I can get CoDW...but it's not a ritual...Now I have a difficult decision to make.
>>
>>46332870
Pros
>If you are making an attempt to grapple every turn, no real loss of deeps at level 1-4
>You could use a shield while still getting dex+con to ac.
> more rages

Cons
>Completely shit when you can't grapple every turn (including turns where you have already grappled someone previously)
>Shit damage for unarmed strikes at high levels
>You still fucking need dex for your AC
> You lose out on all the sick monk class features. Barbarians are very front loaded, and you get everything you need at level 1 Barbarian, really.
>You still fucking need dex for your AC
> You can use the feat slot for something more relevant (Grappler if you are a grapple character, or just be up +2 to stats)
> You STILL fucking need dex for your ac
>>
>>46333107

You can get 4 attacks at level 2, anon..

Hit, bonus hit, convert move to bonus and flurry
>>
>>46333176
Anon, moves aren't actions, and even if they were, you can't convert them to bonus actions. You can get a total of one bonus action a round, period.
>>
>>46333129
No, you haven't stumbled into /gt/ I'm just honestly of the opinion that it's okay to make some suboptimal mechanical choices if they lead to a more compelling character concept.

>>46333176
>convert move to bonus
>implying move actions are a thing
>Implying the action economy is fluid
Anon please, you're hurting me.
>>
Cthulhufaq here again. Thanks to some people offering ideas, this project ended up growing rapidly.

New in this version:
>Cool looking cover
>Fixes suggested in the last thread, plus redoing of the Cleric spells (suprised nobody noticed, but I had accidentally thought Cleric spell table works like Warlock one and the "level" part was the spell level, when it's actually class level).
> a Druid spec with self-healing and "Wild Shape into a Tentacle Monster" action (probably broken at lv.20 since most of the abilities use Wild Shape charges, which you get unlimited uses of at 20).
> Erich Zahn Bard (highest level ability is also probably borked, since it's a very powerful aoe that's "balanced" by being once per day and having no friendly fire option).

Working on a Deep One bloodline Sorcerer now, but I don't really have ideas for good effect (dragon bloodline has it easy since dragons have a ton of cool shit, but how do I get multiple interesting abilities from "you turn into a creepy fish-man"? Being able to breathe under water is definitely one ability, but I'd need three more). After that I'm planning to do a Paladin that specializes in smiting cultists and aberrations, and maybe try to do professor Armitage as a Wizard (something about studying forbidden lore to fight against eldritch beings).
>>
>>46333176

>Convert move to bonus

I have a faggot in one of my groups who keeps trying to do this shit. Fuck off threeaboo filth.
>>
>>46333252
>>46333233
>>46333214

Newb here, can someone in proper detail explain why
>>46333176
this guy is being ridiculed?
>>
>>46333107
Even with point buy it seems pretty reasonable. 15/15/15/8/8/8. Mountain dorf race, start with 17/15/17/8/8/8. 15 AC, good attack/damage. Start your first level in barb, the rest in monk. You get 2 18s pretty quickly and have your "extra attack" at level 2 instead of 6 really, because of martial arts. At level six you get 4 attacks dealing 1d6+6 each, and only 3 less HP than a similarly built fighter (but you have rage).
>>
>>46333305
On your turn, you have your speed as movement.
You cannot convert it into anything, you can only use movement for its intended purpose.
>>
>>46333305
>Convert move action to bonus action
Isn't something you can do in 5e, because the action economy doesn't allow it (only one bonus action a round).
It's something you can do in other editions and systems, but explicitly not here, so his disregard of the rules to benefit his build is an appropriate subject of mockery.
>>
>>46333305
In older editions, Moving was a distinct action called a move action, and you could downgrade a "standard action" into a move action, and a move action into a "swift action" or "minor action" which were the equivalents of bonus actions in 3e and 4e respectively.

Move actions aren't a thing in 5e, movement is just something you can do freely on your turn up to your speed, and you can't downgrade actions. Even if you could, you are still only allowed 1 bonus action per turn anyway.
>>
>>46333305

Because he didn't read the fucking book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8
>>
>>46333305
5e has a rigid action economy unlike 3.X. You get an action, a move, and a bonus action each turn (as well as a reaction). none of these can be exchanged for one another and you can only take one of each unless its specified otherwise.
>>
>>46333305
Because he's making a claim that is completely wrong. Your move simply cannot be converted into a bonus action, and if he's actually tried to pull that shit on someone, he should know better.
>>
>>46333305

Because he's being a moron who;

a) Thinks movement is an action
b) Thinks actions can be converted into bonus actions
c) Thinks you can have more than one bonus action in a turn

and is then basing the viability of their special snowflake build on ignoring the rules, the design of the action economy.
>>
>>46329851
You forgot an elementalist archetype.
>>
>>46333130
>you will always need Dex for your AC.
>You can go Human to get tavern brawler feat instead of waiting til level 4.
>You can always switch between fits and weapons if you feel you either cant grapple someone or already have someone grappled.
>Ignoring the bonus rage damage scaling, improved speed, totem abilities, the advantage to initiatives, and the ability to shrug off killing blows as many times as you can manage to make the save.

The barbarian/monk build has its own set of solid merits but going pure barbarian works just as well for an unarmed strike / grappler character.
>>
>>46330244
yes
>>
CoS question.

How are you DM anons handeling monster moral in combat? Will the vamp spawn flee from or target the Cleric who cast Sunlight, will the Silver vulnerable creatures see a silvered blade and run after seeing a comrade melt from the strike?
>>
>>46333356
>>46333360
>>46333366
>>46333370
>>46333378
>>46333386
thanks tg

if i understand correctly, it's permissible to sacrifice your standard action for the sake of doubling your speed? or rather assign sprint or hustle or whatever to the standard action?
>>
>>46333651
Yeah, but that's because it's a designated Action use (I believe it's called Dash).
>>
What is the best way to bathe my enemies in flame with the unbridled hate of a thousand ages? I was thinking sorceror but besides the class I'm not sure what other options I should be looking at.
>>
>>46333651
yes you take the dash action to move your speed again.
>>
>>46333651
There is specifically an Action (that is, the Dash action) taken that allows you to move your speed again. Your speed itself remains unchanged.
>>
>>46333676
Sorceror or Warlock, if you want to have basis in flavor.
>>
What are some fun and effective Bladesinger builds? What spells are good to take with you?

From what I can see Bladesinger will be really good to multiclass with Psionics when they come out. But I'm really not sure how they perform on their own.
>>
>>46330244
Not for 5e as far as I'm aware, but if you look back at some 4e material, it covers a LOT. Essentially, the Far Realm is a multi-planar rift between the cosmology of the great wheel, and that of an entirely separate universe. The creatures that exist within the planes of the great wheel as aberrations are physical projection of beings that originally resided in that other universe, or the descendants thereof. That is why they get associated with spooky tentacles and stars in the deepest depths of the void, and why they're so "alien" to the creatures of the material plane. Because they are literally foreign to this universe, and do not belong here. And there are some really nasty things that are trying to make the rift between their universe and the great wheel bigger, the most troubling of which is Alabar, the Opener of the way, a being that could roughly be described as manifesting as a Living, fleshy Star that is literally made of hate, dense enough to create a Gravity Well. He is "close" enough to the rift that he can "see" the material plane, and he is coming. If he were ever to make it through the rift, the Far Realm would basically incur into the entirely of the great wheel.
>>
>>46333597
Same as always. Mindless things like zombies will not flee unless directed to, intelligent things that have the freedom to flee (and a reason to) will do so. If Strahd told them to fight t the death, they MIGHT surrender or flee, but Strahd is way scarier than any PCs.
>>
>>46333676
maybe a warlock with a fiend pact?
>>
>>46333249
Hey, servant of Nyarl here, if I come up with something for those I'll let you know
>>
>>46333249
>Willpower save
(In the Bard section) Wrong edition?

On the other hand, I think this is neat and exactly the sort of thing that might net you a few bucks on the DM's guild.

Don't push yourself to have something for every class.
>>
>>46333698
>>46333678
>>46333673
okay, last query for you guys

because moving is not an action, it could be construed that foregoing your speed on a turn is wasteful?

I understand that moving out of base-to-base with an enemy provokes an attack of opportunity, but one can avoid this by taking the disengage action? that uses the standard action though, so you don't get to kite enemies at base-to-base?

does an enemy that is occupied in some manner, especially engaged with another character in combat, and a character leaves base-to-base with that enemy, does he take an attack of opportunity? What if you launch a melee sneak attack and then move out of base-to-base?

I was isolated from my party during a goblin/orc ambush and after being surrounded by and attacked by three orcs, I decided that if I stayed there they would launch another three attacks against me on their turn, so after using my standard to attack, I ran away (knowing that my speed was quite higher than that of orcs) and intentionally conceded to their attacks of opportunity so I could start attacking from range and then running on each of my turns to put up some buffer.

thoughts on this sort of tactic?
>>
>>46333597
Either roll a Wis/Cha save or do whatever makes the encounter at hand most interesting.
>>
I'm just about finished Lost Mines of Phandelver with my group, and I'd really like to run the Isle of Dread that came with the playtests way back when.

Where can I get me a hold of it?
>>
>>46333458

>you will always need Dex for your AC.
Yes, which is why going monk won't hurt
>You can go Human to get tavern brawler feat instead of waiting til level 4.
I never said anything about waiting, I said you get a free +2 to stats or you get a better feat instead, since you aren't "wasting it" on this
>You can always switch between fits and weapons if you feel you either cant grapple someone or already have someone grappled.
Yes, in your example you can make 2 attacks, monk can make 4. dealing literally 2x less damage is ass, and considering this is for an unarmed character, switching weapons kind of breaks concept.
>Ignoring the bonus rage damage scaling,
Monkbarb gets better damage scaling fists while you are stuck at d4. Also has +2 bonus from raging still. Monk deals more damage when you level it instead of barb, easy.
> improved speed,
Are you joking? Monk gets way better speed from leveling.
> totem abilities, the advantage to initiatives,
Monk abilities are way better than this, and you know it.
>and the ability to shrug off killing blows as many times as you can manage to make the save.
Long death says hi, while being much better at this.

There is a trade off between going monk and barb/monk, and that is that pure monks will have much better saves on their abilities. But for unarmed brawler pure Barb isn't really in the running.
>>
>>46333935
>does an enemy that is occupied in some manner, especially engaged with another character in combat, and a character leaves base-to-base with that enemy, does he take an attack of opportunity?
yes you still provoke attacks of opportunity
What if you launch a melee sneak attack and then move out of base-to-base? Yes you still provoke attacks of opportunity though a rogue gains cunning action at level 2 which lets them dash, disengage, and dodge as a bonus action so you could disengage and then move away.
>>
>>46333676
If your DM allows Unearthed Arcana, I'd go a Hellfire Tiefling Gold Dragon Sorcerer multiclassing into Undying Light Warlock, pact of the tome to pick up Shillelagh as a Charisma based cantrip, making sure to have the Elemental Adept feat and the Green Flame Blade cantrip. Burninate everything just by whacking it with a quarterstaff, converting your warlock slots into sorcery points and quickening GFB for even more flaming stick attacks, and using your actual Sorcerer spell slots for larger AoE firepower spell like fireball, or defensive/self-buff spells like Shield, Absorb Elements, or Blur.
>>
>>46333948
http://zaffudo.com/012813%20DnD%20Next%20Playtest%20Packet/102912%20Adventure%20-%20Isle%20of%20Dread.pdf
>>
>>46333948
its in the mega but its not labeled iirc

the first thing I DM'd (I don't count aborting HotDQ just after Greenest)
>>
File: 300% MAD.jpg (72KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
300% MAD.jpg
72KB, 500x738px
>>46334026
As a DM, reading this makes me angry.
>>
>>46334058
>>46334037
Thank you based anons, I searched the Mega but couldn't find it by name.

I loved running this thing back in highschool, I can't wait to try again with actual good players.
>>
>>46334097
And as a sane man, I agree with your anger. But I was compelled by my inner munchkin to answer anon's question. I won't ask for your forgiveness, I'll just see myself out.
>>
>>46334026
What a beautiful combo.
>>
>>46334145
If you liked that one, you might want to try converting some other cool modules from AD&D, like Scourge of the Slavelords or Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.
>>
>>46334026
Could try to shove good ol' Rune Scribe in there to, and get the fire rune. 1 level is all you need.
>imbue a melee weapon [staff] with fire damage for 24 hrs, from a short rest
>Whenever you roll fire damage from an attack or spell you cast, you can reroll that damage and use the higher result.
>>
>>46334026
You forgot the dip into Devotion Paladin 3 for Divine Smite and Sacred Weapon.
>>
>>46334241
Oh man, I ran Lost Caverns in actual AD&D, the one player's dad had a bunch of original run shit from when he was a teenager, shit was cash. I definitely should take a crack at converting it sometime soon.
>>
What is considered "harmful" by the charmed condition? Just direct damage? Or would inflicting negative conditions be off-limits too?
>>
>>46333932
>Willpower save (In the Bard section) Wrong edition?
Oops, slipped my mind that for//ref/will saves are no longer a thing (it's just saves based on stats). Should be a Wisdom save.

Wasn't really planning to do something for every class. I've got nothing on monk, fighter and rogue, and while somebody suggested something Dreamlands/dream-striding related to ranger, I'm not sure how that would be implemented.
For barbarian I'm kind of on the fence about doing a flesh-warping mutant thing like somebody suggested. On the other hand, that would actually be relatively easy since I already have a class like that (coped a few of the warlock and druid abilities from there) and barbarian growing claws and tentacles and shit while raging is cool, but on the other hand while tentacled mutants and such show up pretty often in Mythos-related material there really isn't much like that in the Mythos itself. Wilbur Whateley (and his brother) is probably closest, but I feel he'd work better as a sorcerer origin in line of the aberrant bloodline in PF.

Also I wonder if I could somehow squeeze "you're a member of a Great Race of Yith inhabiting a [insert character's race] body" somewhere.
>>
>>46334256
Problem with that is that Rune Scribe requires both Int and Dex of 13, and this build is Single Ability Dependent on Charisma, and with only d8 HD, you really want your second highest score at character creation to be Con. Also, even DMs that allow UA material, from my experience, don't really like the idea of Prestige Classes in 5e, and don't allow it.

>>46334319
Arguably worth it if you've got the Str for it, if only for the extra +Cha to hit. The smite damage is negligible compared to the AoE damage of a quickened fireball or scorching ray, especially if you're up-slotting it.
>>
>>46333249
I like it, thanks anon! How about stating a lovecraftian bestiary while you're at it? Maybe convert from 1e deities and demigods book.
>>
>>46333935
>because moving is not an action, it could be construed that foregoing your speed on a turn is wasteful?
You might not want to move to not provoke opportunity attacks.

>I understand that moving out of base-to-base with an enemy provokes an attack of opportunity, but one can avoid this by taking the disengage action? that uses the standard action though, so you don't get to kite enemies at base-to-base?
This is correct

>Does an enemy that is occupied in some manner, especially engaged with another character in combat, and a character leaves base-to-base with that enemy, does he take an attack of opportunity? What if you launch a melee sneak attack and then move out of base-to-base?
To do something similar to this, you might want to consider the Mobile feat, which allows you to attack and not take opportunity attacks from your target. Other than that, if an enemy has attacks he can perform and has yet to use a reaction, an attack of opportunity can be made against you.

>I was isolated from my party during a goblin/orc ambush and after being surrounded by and attacked by three orcs, I decided that if I stayed there they would launch another three attacks against me on their turn, so after using my standard to attack, I ran away (knowing that my speed was quite higher than that of orcs) and intentionally conceded to their attacks of opportunity so I could start attacking from range and then running on each of my turns to put up some buffer.
Your goal should be getting to your party. The slow orcs can Dash and catch up with you, putting you at another potential three attacks. It's probably best to Disengage and rush for the party and simply not take any opportunity attacks if you can just outpace them.

Of course, things change if you have something like Cunning Action that allows to dash or disengage on a bonus action, freeing up your action.
>>
>>46334097
It's super easy to prevent, though:
> Undying Light is not a valid option.
>>
>>46334642
>"Guys, I just thought you should know that the BBEG of this campaign will be an Ancient Red Dragon."
The top three highest CR monsters in the MM are all immune to fire? Who knew!
>>
>>46334642
>Undying Light is allowed.
>You can't multiclass without a story reason though.
>>
>>46334485
I think someone else has already been doing that.
>>
>>46334409
Damage is the most obvious, but it would depend on the intellect of the thing you charmed, bearing in mind that they like and trust you.
>>
>>46334485
I was thinking of trying to make stats for a few Lovecraftian creatures since if you're actually going to do a campaign involving Lovecraftian stuff, you migth want some Deep Ones or Dark Young or something for the PCs to fight besides just cultists (plus, actually statting a "minor spawn of Shub-Niggurath" that could be used for the one Warlock spec's minion would be more elegant than the current "just use a Ranger pet and add some tentacles" method).
>>
>>46333009
nah i was just horsing around. single class is pretty much inherently better, and a 6 level multiclass for monk offers almost nothing for the barbarian (***aside from "free" teleportation***, and aside from 1d6 unarmed damage... i guess? well, okay +15 movement speed is helpful to anyone, and 6 stunning strikes, though stunning strikes interfere with using a big weapon, which a barbarian/monk probably still wants to use over monk weapons/unarmed strikes, plus anyway slow fall, deflect missiles, and bonus action dash/dodge, not to mention shadow arts is useful for any character period, but okay, all minor versus end game barbarians abiltiies imo), and a berserker couldnt even use the benefits of berserking (bonus action attack) while shadow stepping, and monks get a bonus action attack for free always anyway.

not to even mention all the overlapping abilities each gets that won't even interact, leaving you with lots of dead levels. (2 unarmored AC? strength vs dex? two attacks twice? and if you instead went monk heavy and had a low dip into barbarian, you get.... not very much. none of the totems really help you except bear is okay i guess for keeping you alive.... well... thats not horrible... and wolf could make you an okay alpha striker. everything else sucks and doesn't interact either with teleporting (like elk increasing your move speed isn't that great when you're already teleporting around) or just uses your bonus action. and berserker as i mentioned uses your bonus action as well.

jesus sorry this sentence became such an abortion. i was just fucking with you.
>>
>>46334734
It was a player character struck by a beholder's charm ray. The player wanted to paralyze the beholder, but I ruled that that was too harmful. He objected because it wasn't doing direct damage. I was unable to find an official answer.
>>
>>46333130
>> You STILL fucking need dex for your ac
not to mention you STILL need 13 dex to multiclass anyway
>>
>>46334734
Different Anon, but an intelligent spellcaster that's been charmed would still be totally in line to hit your with a sleep spell, if you're attacking his allies (And then stopping his allies from killing you), right?
>>
File: 73NccBl.gif (1MB, 320x240px)
73NccBl.gif
1MB, 320x240px
Okay my beautiful niggers, I'm a CS degree senior that has taken much inspiration and good times from this general, and I'd like to repay you.

Let's make a simple interactive browser-based spellbook. What features would you like? The Grimoire website is a good base but like some people already mentioned, it lacks filters.

I can't promise I'll be able to implement it all, but at least it should be better than shuffling pages around or squinting your eyes while you search the pdfs.
>>
>>46334867
just email that girmoire guy, he has his whole project on git hub, and just tell him yo can i add these improvements? or work on this with you?

he still has a to do list listed, its not a "finished" project
>>
>>46334867
http://www.dnd-spells.com/ is already pretty good and has plenty of filtering.
>>
So a friend is going to have a 5e D&D session this weekend. I have a history of making several disrupting characters.

So this time I want to give my DM a chance in how the story will be disrupted.

I have already made a Half-Orc Barbarian wielding a Trident, I'm going to play it as an homage to Quina from FF9

Next up, I might go with either a paladin or a fighter type for Sargeant Frank Drebin. And play that as straight as possible.

I've given thought to playing "Jaybee" a mystery writer who solves crimes.

Who else from the 80s would be a good character to pay an homage to?
>>
>>46334829
I'd say no, that's an attack. If anything, you'd want to paralyze the party to keep them from hurting your new friend.
>>46334861
I suppose, but it might be better to persuade them to do something to stop the fight altogether like throwing up a wall of force or something.
>>
Revenant questions:

1) Is a Revenant formed immediately after it's moral death, or can re-inhabiting a body for revenge be delayed?

2) Is the only way to defeat a Revenant to either outlast the year, OR to wish it's soul to the after life?
>>
>>46329689
Wouldn't a MonkBarb AC be 10+Dex+Con+Wis?
>>
>>46329624
Is a deadly encounter all a party an handle before a long rest?
>>
>>46335146

Specifies they don't stack in multiclass section
>>
>>46334867
something cool would be the ability to share individual PCs spellbooks/features/abilities into a Party page. Each PC keeps their shit updated, and it is updated on the read-only party hub. Players can view the spells and abilities of other party members, and how many slots, etc.
>>
>>46335146
Unarmed defense doesn't stack, just like extra attack doesn't
>>
>>46335146
AC calculations don't stack.

Monk unarmored defense is 10 + Dex + Wis
Barbarian is 10 + Dex + Con
Natural armor is 10 + Dex + natural armor bonus
Studded Leather is 12 + Dex
Mage armor is 13 + Dex
Plate is 18

And so on. You choose which one to use.

By contrast, bonuses (Shield spell, a shield, cloak of protection, shield of faith spell, and so on) that simply give a bonus to AC stack.
>>
>>46329689

You could get up to 65 feet of movement speed as most races with a 5/15 or 6/14 level split, unless i'm missing something.
>>
>>46335117
Generally I'd say that revenants don't shamble forth until an ominous amount of time has passed, say 13 days, a month, or perhaps as long as a day and a year.

I'd argue that cleric's Divine Intervention could settle a revenant's vengeance and set it off the the afterlife. Also landing the killing blow with Disintegrate, as only a true resurrection or wish itself can return a disintegrated creature to (un)life.
>>
>>46334734
>>46335074
>bearing in mind that they like and trust you.
>your new friend.
Where does it say the Charmed condition does this? In the Conditions section is just says you can't harm the charmer and the charmer has advantage on social checks against you. Nothing about your attitude shifting.
>>
>>46335353
It's right in the spell. "The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance." Of course, it is far less effective than it used to be. That, and Friends, should raelly only be used on people you absolutely don't care about having be your enemy.
>>
>>46335333

I guess the confusion arises from that it says something like:

If the revenant's body is destroyed, its soul finds another body to inhabit after 24 hours - while the soul is freed, a wish spell can send the soul to the afterlife.

The only other thing I can think of is to have the players entomb the revenant somewhere.
>>
>>46335409
You're confusing Charmed (the condition) with Charm Person, the spell. A Beholder's Charm Ray ability inflicts the former, but NOT all the effects of the latter.
>>
>>46335409
>It's right in the spell.
The Charmed condition isn't a spell. It's a condition, which is granted by many effects, not all of which have a special corollary that the charmee's attitude changes. Like the beholder's Charm Ray. The Charmed condition is pretty useless unless it has an additional effect helping it out.
>>
Would you let a lower level Warlock take the "Alter Self at will" invocation for character flavor purposes or would it be too OP for lower levels? What if at lower levels it didn't have the "counts as magic weapon" clause?
>>
>>46335632
Would depend on the flavor and the player.

I would let them just fluff their body as warping when they use their magic of they didn't want a mechanical benefit.
>>
>>46335522
Wut, its pretty damn strong. Also, to end the argument once and for all:

CHARMED
A charmed creature can't attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful abilities or magical effects.
The charmer has advantage on any ability check to interact socially with the creature.

>A charmed creature can't attack the charmer or target the charmer with harmful abilities or magical effects.
>or magical effects.

You can't cast a spell on someone that has charmed you. It is very straightforward.
>>
>>46335729
Except beneficial magic, at any rate.
>>
>>46333726
Anyone?
>>
>>46335794
Unless you're being intentionally obtuse and reading it in such a way that the emphasis is not on "harmful" but on "or."

But only jackasses who know they are wrong but can't own up to that on an anonymous chinese pictograph message board about games of pretend would do something like that.
>>
>>46335663
I was going to make an Old One posessed Warlock who goes full Alex Mercer if something tries to melee combat them, but as it levels up instead of "learning" new spells and abilites learns to use more of itself through it's host body, maybe make it so in order to get the "magic weapon" bonus of alter self it has to eat or absorb a Silvered weapon to learn how to transmute flesh to have similar properties.

Yeah I know it's silly but I kinda feel like going full Speshul Snowflake for a change instead of "this adventurer he hit hard make bad guy ded"
>>
>>46333726
Effective Bladesinger build is to dip into it as a dex based Eldritch Knight. The Tradition abilities beyond 1st level are all kind of ass.
>>
>>46334615
Your goal should be getting to your party. The slow orcs can Dash and catch up with you, putting you at another potential three attacks. It's probably best to Disengage and rush for the party and simply not take any opportunity attacks if you can just outpace them.

That is a much better way to do it, thankyou. My DM actually had the orcs do a thing that let them catch up to me (I had either 35 or 40 speed) and also all attack me. What feature could that have been that permitted that?
>>
>>46335895
>What feature could have permitted that

DM dickery, which is covered by rule 0.
>>
>>46335895
Orcs have a trait that essentially allows a Dash towards enemies on bonus action.
Sorry, doesn't look like you're running away from orcs.
>>
>>46335884
Or Arcane trickster.

Probably arcane trickster.
>>
>>46336024
I guess. If you like being a dickass rogue.
>>
>>46335895
Orcs have a trait called Aggressive that lets them move up to their speed towards an enemy as a bonus action.

>>46335944
Having a monster use one of its abilities is dickery?
>>
>>46335884

Song of Defense is pretty sweet, IMO.
>>
>>46329689
Yes, then I realized full barb with tavern brawler is like billion times better and not MAD, so try that because, remember, you need 13 on Str, Con, Dex and Wis if you want to be a Barb/Monk, you can do it, but you'll suck cocks.
>>
>>46336024
Never played an Arcane Trickster but seems fun. But are there really good spells considering you get so little spells and you get them so late?
>>
>>46335878
Yeah, I wouldn't let you get that invocation early.
>>
>>46329624
>Greenflame blade
>Green fire
Right, my next character is going to be a Feylock/Bard. Imma make a Disney villain.
>>
It seems kinda odd that there isnt a "willpower" stat, though I guess that's what Wis is.
>>
>>46336228
I also just looked up that you could potentially use Hand Crossbows as a Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger. This way you would be extremely fast, have really high AC and get your sneak attack from range.
>>
>>46336258
Willpower would probably be classified as force of personality, which actually would fall under Charisma.

Wisdom is how well your character intuits, which honestly doesn't really have anything to do with willpower.
>>
>>46333326
You can't get a level in Monk if you don't have at least 13 WIS.
I guess it's better to go 14/14/14/8/13/9 to bump it to 16/14/16/8/13/9 with Mountain Dwarf.
Also, you lose the thing that makes the barbarian on-par with other classes: an easy to land Great Weapon Master.
>>
>>46336258
It's a split between Wisdom, especially in the case of saving throws where abilities that affect your immediate mental state are concerned, and Charisma, which is literally your force of personality, and saves against abilities that are affronts to your identity as a whole or your ability to resist banishing or corruption.

Which makes sense because in previous editions, these two ability scores where what determined your Will (short for willpower, of course) saving throws.
>>
>>46336389
>AC 15 as a melee pure combatant
Uff, that's gonna hurt
>>
>>46336228
Well, hypnotic pattern combined with ambush spells is kinda bullshit.
>>
>>46336238
How would you suggest weakening it for lower level characters? I'd probably only be using the weapon transformations at low levels until a RP reasonable way to learn the other parts comes into play, though I suppose I could just use a Pact Weapon refluffed as an arm blade or something.
>>
>>46336501
I'm not your DM.
>>
>>46336681
Oh my mistake.
>>
>tfw your GM tells you you can't combine SA+GFB because it goes against RAI and RAW
...tempted to leave this game, clearly GM doesn't know shit
>>
>>46336451
Yes. It will. That's why you rage. Still, you get much less HP/level, so you really shouldn't be taking all that damage.

I'd get my DM to let me use CON+WIS instead of CON+DEX or WIS+DEX for my AC, or let me use this Homebrew, otherwise i'd be playing other character.

This brute force unarmed warrior is a really cool concept, but it's still impossible to make it work properly in 5e.
>>
Got an idea for a setting/homebrew rules. thoughts?

Takes place on 15th century earth, the day after magic happens. Think earth dawn, but at the beginning of a cycle of magic instead of the end, and more grounded in actual history and European politics.

Some people turn into dwarves, elves, dragons, etc. Everything is kind of chaos the first day, because all untrained newly awakened mages experience something like wild magic surges, and priests are performing real miracles while demons whisper in the ears of willing clients.

There is some distrust of magic users after the first night. The official Catholic stance is magic is the work of the devil and must be eliminated. Divine power they say has been provided to confront the new threat. Meanwhile, less pious Kings begin recruiting people who can shoot fire out of their eyeballs because fuck the French.

Magical knowledge is rare, and spell lists will generally be limited for wizards to what they can find. Warlocks will need to petition their patrons for effects, and the patron may go along with it for a price. Sorcerers will occasionally learn a new spell as part of a wild magic surge. Clerics gain spells through rising within their specific church, and through performing appropriate deeds to earn divine favor. Bards must learn or create stories or songs, and gain spells appropriate for the story or song.

Casters level up once they've learned enough spells to fill out the next levels spell list requirement.

Similar rules apply to martial classes with spell lists.

For pure martials, I haven't decided how they would level. But my group will probably never play pure martials because they find them boring.
>>
>>46336903
Did you try showing him this https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/659846764967682049 ?
>>
>>46336501
Given that Invocations generally provide bonuses at least as potent as minor racial abilities (for example: Levitate at-will at level 9 vs. Levitate once per long rest via the Air Genasi Mingle with the Wind feature; 120-foot magical darkvision vs. standard 60-foot nonmagical darkvision), or at least as potent as feats (for example: proficiency in Deception and Persuasion vs. proficiency in any 3 skills or tools via the Skilled feat), I would, if you asked nicely and gave me a good reason, probably permit an Invocation that grants you a 1d4 unarmed strike (as per the Aarakocra's Talons feature, or the relevant benefit of the Tavern Brawler feat).

Hopefully you could persuade your DM with similar reasoning - though you'll probably have to also give him something better than 'because I want to' for him to bend the rules, no matter how mechanically balanced it would be.
>>
>>46329689
I'd imagine taking only about 3 levels or so in Barbarian for Bear totem and some raging and the rest in monk could make a beefy monk with some ridiculous burst damage.

It's pretty useless if you're not going to focus strength, though.
>>
Is there anything that lets you do an alchemist-type class in 5e?
>>
>>46336903

>it goes against RAI and RAW

It really goes against neither though. I just reread both GFB and sneak attack, and neither one has any rules to imply that they wouldn't work together.

Your DM does sound like a fucking retard, I'd definitely consider leaving. Show him what >>46336984 posted, and if he STILL doesn't accept that, find yourself a better group to play with.
>>
>>46337143
Eberron UA Artificer Wizard Tradition, though it isn't really too great.
>>
I know there's the rogue Mastermind subclass. How good is it, and does it actually make you feel like a mastermind to play?

If not, what class should I play if I want to be all "just as planned" and shit?
>>
>>46337188
Alternatively, a Transmutation wizard with the Guild Crafter (Alchemist) background and Tavern Brawler feat for proficiency in improvised weapons. Plays quite a bit like your basic Pathfinder alchemist.
>>
>>46337195
Not very, not really, and play whatever you want. How much of a smug bastard you are doesn't necessarily correlate much to your class. Though you may want to play something with a decently high Wis.
>>
>>46337195
The only "mastermind" thing it does in the context that I am familiar with is that you can royally fuck with truth and thought detection magic.

If you were in a land that used this kind of magic to arbitrate disputes and such you can tell obviously falsehoods and perpetrate real double think.
>>
>>46337195

It's okay. The ability to aid your allies as a bonus action from 30 feet away is really, really good. Especially if you have another rogue in the party. Getting more languages is always fun, and the Misdirection thing where you can throw someone in front of a ranged attack is kinda cool. Other than that, it really doesn't offer much else. Being immune to lie detecting magic is good, but it's not 17th level good.
>>
>>46335895
There is already another class that lets you do that from level 2, no homebrew or supplements required.
>>
>>46337262
never played pathfinder, so I don't really know what that's like, but I basically want to play a guy who's messed up on chemical fumes and throws volatile potions like Molotov cocktails made of hydrochloric acid
>>
>>46337387
I'm an assbandit; this is for >>46335878.
>>
>>46337195
>If not, what class should I play if I want to be all "just as planned" and shit?

bard, wizard or cleric

bard is probably best in terms of features for that, but you might want high INT or WIS rather than CHA.
>>
Hey, tg.

I'm playing a beastmaster ranger (this archetype sucks ass, if you're considering it, just don't) and my DM let me take a blinkdog as my animal companion. I'm trying to learn to speak Blinkdog; the dog's INT is 11 and I cast speak with animals during our practice time. We've been on the road for a while so I've been dedicating 8 hours a day to this (and 12 to learning Sylvan from a language guide (yes, that's 20 hours (I'm an elf, so I only need 4 hours rest per day) and yes, this road trip has been uneventful).

How long do you figure it should take for my character to gain competency in these languages and why?
>>
>>46337423

There's a bit in the skills section about how long it takes to learn new languages and skills. I'd suggest reading that.
>>
Despite my semester being a clusterfuck, I've been slowly whittling my way into my next setting- but my players are being un-opinioned as fuck and 'want to be surprised', so I was looking to get some feedback on my racial pantheon. Just if they sound cool, mostly.

>Dwarves: Frost and Fire
Mountain and Desert environments, respectively. (Possible facial hair of ice/fire)
>Elves: Sea and Moon
Fairly straightforward. Moon elves literally from [one of] the moon(s), Sea being more bipedal/amphibious merfolk.
>Gnomes: Fungal and Verdant
Colorful as fuck, more Pathfinder visual style, theme them harder about being more faeries than not-halflings.
>Mousefolk
Nearly 1-to-1 replacement for Halflings, but with appropriate Mouse/Rat thematics added.
>Humans (Yet to be named ethnicities)
>Golems: Warforged and Graceforged
Pulling Warforged and adding in a more elegant, 'magic origami' counter-part.
>Orcs: Oni, Ogre, or Pure blood
Something something mongolian conquering Orc lord way back when sired way too many multi-racial monstruous babbies from conquered lands.
>Tieflings: Ashen, Hellborn, Fel-touched
Just some slight variations for cosmetic and fluff variations (Black, Red, Green respectively), plus alternative racial traits.

Runners up to be added are Goblins, Kobolds, Thri-Keen, and some sort of Undead.
>>
>>46337393
>Guild Alchemist background gives you proficiency in Alchemist Tools, which you can use during downtime to create alchemical items like vials of acid or alchemist's fire, potentially even powder charges if the DM allows them
>Tavern Brawler feat makes you proficient in attacking with those items
>Transmutation specialty gives you minor alchemy, letting you temporarily transmute items from wood or metal into other materials, including gold
>Transmutation spells in general are temporary item or stat buffs, or shapeshifting
>can eventually produce literal Philosopher's Stones
>>
>>46337468

Okay, actually I was mistaken, it's in the "adventuring" section, page 187.

Costs 1gp per day (though if you have an ally teaching you, I'm sure they're doing it for free) and takes 250 days.
>>
File: 1424041573230.gif (3MB, 295x254px) Image search: [Google]
1424041573230.gif
3MB, 295x254px
>>46336903
it could be worse.
>Have friends completely surrounding an iron golem, using flanking so adv and ally within 5ft
>Have advantage even without flanking from other source
>Roll with a +1 shortsword and hit
>crit, with 'the shops' (his) homebrew rules I do something like 90 damage
>"it's looking right at you, you don't get sneak attack"
>game screeches to a halt
>MFW

>have to literally bring out my rulebook and explain to him how sneak attack works
>straight up say if he changes how SA works I'm either rolling up a new character with all my gear or leaving
>has to pick up his OWN book and read through it, an expression of disbelief the entire time, looks at me like i should be shot for playing the game straight out of the core book (does this a lot)
>"well, it's alright this campaign i guess"
>MFW again
>>
>>46337468
Yes, I have.

Paraphrased:
>It takes 250 days of practicing to learn a language

Is so damn vague. What is the assumption of daily time commitment? What is the assumption of medium to learn from? By RAW, I could practice the language 1 minute per day and learn it at the exact same rate as if I practice it for 8 hours per day.
>>
>>46337499
awesome, thanks d00d
>>
>>46337568
You got it, dood!
>>
>>46337541

Well yeah. Due to the insane amount of time you're spending each day to learn it, if I were DMing, I'd probably count each day as 5 or so. But as it says in that section, the time investment required per day is completely at the whim of your DM. So you're going to have to ask him about it.
>>
250 days, dm discretion at whether what you did that day was sufficient enough time to count as a day.
>>
>>46337541
Other instances of 'a day of x' tends to refer to 8 hours in a day. I assumed you do other things outside of those 8 hours in a day (probably to preserve sanity or health, can you really imagine working 20 hours straight).
How do you even keep a blink dog awake if they're helping?
>>
>>46337618
Yeah, I know it's up to him but I'm just curious what tg thinks of the situation, my DM doesn't like to be very explicit with us about things our characters wouldn't know (meta stuff) so I want my curiosity sated to a degree.
>>
Would you let Chainlocks barter pacts with stronger beings than Imps at higher levels? Considering they have to give up their attack to let their familiar attack I think it seems fair, within reason of course.
>>
>>46337532
>Monster is immune to crits and sneak attacks
>Monster is making several actions (multiattack+gaze attack+spell for example) in the same turn
>Other blatantly bullshit stuff
>"GM, such a thing doesn't exist in 5e"
>"Yes it does, it's in the M&M, and don't you dare look it, powergamer"

Grabbed my things and left right there, didn't even pay my part of the pizza and drinks.
>>
>>46337718
No, because the chain pact's power is in utility, not combat.
>>
>>46337705
Blink dog isn't helping with Sylvan.

And no, it's just road tripping and there's nothing better to do. There's a pretty good deal of motivation for this, I want to be able to talk to my canine buddy straight up rather than through magic. Building a stronger bond and will make things easier in the long run.
>>
File: RTFM.png (107KB, 287x160px)
RTFM.png
107KB, 287x160px
>>46337541

Read the fucking manual. It's not vague, at all, it's right there at the start of the section.

Seriously, why do you people play a game which requires reading if you demonstrably can't do it.
>>
>>46337777
based fucking quads with the smackdown
>>
>>46337718
Not with regard to the Warlock's granted class feature, because the familiar itself is a gift bestowed to the Warlock by his patron. He cannot 'trade up' unless his patron specifically gives him a more powerful minion.

In terms of non-class feature-based pacts, sure, as long as it's story-appropriate, just like I would let anyone else.
>>
>Find Familiar
>Sea Horse
Why does this exist?
>>
>>46337871
Aquatic games?
>>
>>46337532

>have to literally bring out my rulebook and explain to him how sneak attack works
>straight up say if he changes how SA works I'm either rolling up a new character with all my gear or leaving
>has to pick up his OWN book and read through it, an expression of disbelief the entire time, looks at me like i should be shot for playing the game straight out of the core book (does this a lot)
>"well, it's alright this campaign i guess"
>MFW again

Fuck, my DM does this shit too. It's so annoying to receive that attitude for playing the game as the rules clearly state it is meant to be played.

Us four players are all new to the game and our DM answers our questions and queries with heavy condescension in his tone and it infuriates me.
>>
>>46337871
Fuck you, My Half-Aquatic Elf Mystic loves his Familiar, Squirt.
>>
>>46337727
>expecting the Dm to be limited to the monster manual

Good fucking riddance.
>>
>>46337908
>DM outright lying about what is in a core book
Nah, he made the right choice. It is you who is wrong.
>>
>>46337904
>>46337880
>>46337871
>Fish
I can't find the stats for a Fish in the handbook or the monster manual.
>>
>>46337727
>immune to sneak attack
I thought this shit died with 3.5e.
>>
>>46337936
Disregard, it's a Quipper.
>>
>>46337777
Wow look at how much more intelligent you are than the person who obviously made a mistake by skimming over that paragraph and skipping to the relevant subheading.

Pat on the back, go tell your mother I said you earned a chocolate chip cookie!
>>
>>46337940
Shitty DMing never dies.
>>
>>46337940

It did, it's just that the retards who thought that made sense didn't die. Unfortunately.
>>
>>46337908
>SO the monster looks at you and attacks, he rolled a 243, what's your AC?
>16?
>Ok, it hits, it deals 136 flupper damage
>Well, my character dies, of course
>Jimmy, what does your character?
>Attack, I roll a 25
>Sorry, it's AC is 563. Come on guys, it's just CR 1, how can't you kill it.
Yeah, bullshitting is a nice way of GM, you know, why follow rules? rules are for players, your mission is killing them with bullshit, they can only make one action per turn? your monsters make now 10, or 20, whatever.
>>
>>46337957
I hear what you're saying man, and that tone of indignant sarcasm really speaks to me, but hey. C'mon. Quads. He earned it.
>>
Is there anywhere to get digital versions of the CoS illustrations? I've found digital maps for everything but I'd love to be able to use the portraits they have for all the NPCs. Even just simple stuff like the gates of Barovia would be nice, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
>>
>>46337993
I see where you are coming from and agree your dm is shit. However that post doesn't really help your case and some monsters can do a wide variety of things as bonus actions, reactions, lair actions, and legendary actions.
>>
You can't actually become a lich in CoS
>>
>>46338103
Page 196
>>
where are flanking rules? came up in my game with new players, and couldn't find it on the fly.
>>
>>46338208
Optional rule in the DMG.
>>
>>46338208

DM Guide. They're an optional rule. Flank an enemy, and both flankers get advantage on attack rolls.

Personally I think it's too strong, both for enemies and players, but your mileage may vary
>>
>>46338251
it is. people I play with use it and it breaks the game fairly easily.
>>
>>46338103
While you can, you lose the character (at least in the adventure)
>>
>>46338005
Yeah, he did quad.

>>46337777
nice quads
you're still a nigger though
>>
>>46338251
I agree the first time i ran 5e we were all new to it and i used it and we all agreed it was seriously imbalanced to the point where positioning was more important than actually doing anything else on your turn if it gave people flanking.
>>
>>46338080
Alrighty then. Not the poster you're responding to but I think I can settle this.

Regarding the original post in this particular discussion:
>Immune to Critical Hits
Theoretically possible, if the creature was wearing Adamantine armor. So let's give the dm the benefit of the doubt for the moment, though that's still not in the MM, which was explicitly claimed.
>Immune to sneak attack
Not only is that not a property that any creature in the Monster Manual has, it isn't on any magic item, nor Epic boon, nor a feature of any class or archetype.

The DM flat out lied to his players to cover the fact that his homebrew monstrosity was breaking the action economy and monster design guidelines and was broken as all get out. He also deflected the issue by turning the situation on the player that called him out and accused him of being a powergamer.

So, if I may be so bold:
Shit DM, anon made the right decision to leave.
>>
>>46338251
>>46338297

Flanking is straight up bullshit. Advantage is supposed to be something big and critical, but flanking makes it trivial. I don't even care when monsters flank me or my allies, it usually doesn't help them, but when you and your allies with +7 or +8 to hit get advantage, you rarely ever miss.
>>
>>46338322
I wasn't arguing this at all. My post agrees his dm is shit and the only thing i talk about is that some monsters can take a lot more actions than the players for a variety of reasons. Didn't argue the rest because its bullshit.
>>
>>46338251
The problem with Flanking is that it doesn't work well with the current version of Opportunity Attack rules, which only penalize movement which takes the mover out of reach of an enemy. If creatures took OAs for moving around within an enemy's reach, Flanking would be a lot harder to achieve, but since they can move freely, there's nothing a defender can personally do to prevent itself from getting flanked.

This ends up trivializing fights with few enemies, while fights against larger numbers become significantly harder than they already are.
>>
>>46338321
>Positioning is Priority Number 1
Welcome to Grid Based combat, otherwise known as why I left my 4e-essentials group.
>>
>>46338344

I mean, I felt like a right idiot taking Shield Master feat at level 1 only to play a campaign for a year with flanking AND back attack rules. Feat was mostly wasted.
>>
File: 134370.jpg (7KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
134370.jpg
7KB, 255x255px
One of my players has a 'Celestial Wolf' companion that has been run as an NPC (mostly for solo portions of the campaign, so she had a bit of help on those solo runs).

I spec'd the Wolf as a Wood Elf Paladin so it could grow with her and would have some aspects of balance. And it has worked out well. I really didn't worry about a bunch of stuff with the build because 'NPCs don't use the same rules' etc.

However, a new player played the 'wolf' for a one shot during one of the solo runs. It went well, and everyone had fun. She has asked to keep using the character during the normal campaign. Both players are excited about the idea - running around being companion bros together sort of thing.

The problem with that is 'NPC not normal rules' sort of needs to be worked on.

What kind of changes would you guys suggest?

Was:
Race: Wood Elf
Background: Soldier (used the fame/respect thing to give some acceptance from the general population - famous celestial species thing)
Class: Paladin (the Ancients one)

It understands a bunch of languages, can only speak a few (Celestial, Sylvan). Gave it 'keen nose' which grants advantage on skill checks that rely on scent.

Bite is 'great axe'

Character is otherwise a dex build.
>>
>>46338251
yeah, it is a large party of 7 people so I think they should be fine without flanking. thanks familia
>>
>>46338376
I play on a grid but it's a lot less hassle than when we did it in 3e and the only time i thought it was taking away from the game was when i used flanking.
>>
>>46338426
That's fair. And to be honest I still enjoy grid combat when it's done well, but when it all comes down to position based bonuses or vying for cover in a mage fight, it throws fun out the window.
>>
>>46337718
The pact is not with the Imp.

The pact is with the Lord of the Nine Hells that gave you the Imp.
>>
>>46338377
>I also took shield master in a campaign with flanking
Good thing this DM never pays attention to our sheets, at all. Can replace it with another or an ASI at another level instead of resilient.
>>
File: Penn-Jillette.jpg (401KB, 2308x1668px)
Penn-Jillette.jpg
401KB, 2308x1668px
>>46338401
>wolf
>can speak a few languages
>Celestian, Sylvan

You're a That DM for allowing a talking dog
>>
>>46338401
> great axe
> Dex build
I have some concerns. We'll focus on this one.
>>
>>46338401
Running an actual wolf as a PC is not really something that I would see as particularly viable, short of statting out an actual Wolf race to account for its abilities.

Off-hand, in your position, I would probably have a talk with the players to make sure they understand that the companion is pretty damn hard to stat as is as a PC, and are fine with what I'm about to do - then kill the companion.

The next session after would revolve around the player searching for some means of reviving her companion, racing against time to save her wolf's soul from the black magics that struck it down, and even now are slowly withering it to nothingness - with the new player roleplaying the NPCs they come across.

In the end, the only way she can find is a wizened old nature cleric who offers a sort of variant of the Reincarnation spell - which I don't doubt the player will take. The wolf is then brought back as a randomly rolled humanoid PC race, with full class levels.

This may also lead to some interesting roleplay opportunities.
>>
>>46338610
This right here?

This is a good fucking DM.
>>
I think a Level 10 Devotion Paladin with the sunsword could whoop Strahds ass 1v1
>>
>>46338602
magic Greataxe +1, elven origin, gave it finesse as a minor property. Next problem?
>>
>>46338610
If I bang the reincarnated wolf is it still bestiality?
>>
>>46338654
Then CoS is not the game for you.
>>
>>46338704
Like I said, interesting roleplay opportunities. :^) Also, no, it doesn't, just like how banging a 24-year-old who was once a child doesn't count as pedophilia.
>>
>>46338656
>magic Greataxe +1, elven origin, gave it finesse as a minor property
Oh, go fuck yourself. You deserve whatever's coming.
>>
Teifling subtypes for different sorts of fiend (as in, not rolled on a table): bad idea, or terrible idea?
>>
>>46338723
Explain
>>
>>46338704
No but it makes you both a furry and a celestial rapist.
>>
>>46338749
who would want to be lemure tiefling

its a bad idea because tieflings are made from pacts with devils and only powerful devils make pacts
>>
File: 1458853908862.png (243KB, 490x490px)
1458853908862.png
243KB, 490x490px
>>46338656
>finesse greataxe
>>
>>46338781
>are
Were**
>>
>>46338781
Someone got up on the 4e side of the bed this morning.
>>
>>46338749
Interesting idea, but then you run into problems like why a Spined Devil Tiefling isn't inherently weaker than a Pit Fiend Tiefling.
>>
>>46338401
Celestial Wolf
large celestial, neutral good

AC 13 (natural armor)
HP 75 (10d10+20)
Speed 50ft.

STR 18 (+4)
DEX 13 (+1)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 10 (+0)

Prof +2
Skills Perception +6, Stealth +3
Damage immunities radiant
Damage resistances necrotic
Senses passive Perception 16, truesight 30ft.
Languages Common, Celestial
CR 3 (700xp)

Keen Hearing and Smell

Pack Tactics

Actions
Bite - +6 to hit, Hit: 11 (2d6+4) piercing DC 14 Strength or knocked prone

Radiant Breath (Recharge 5-6): 15ft. Con, DC 12 Charisma saving throw taking 18 (3d8) radiant damage on a failure
or half as much on a success

But seriously just make them a player you giant fag
>>
>>46338758
Strahd is not going to fight you one-on-one, and he would not do so fairly if he decided to do so.

He'll pick you off one-by-one. He'll pull stragglers screaming into the darkness and feign vulnerability to lead you into far, far more dangerous encounters.

He's had centuries to plan for your arrival, and he's not going to waste the payoff by letting you dickpunch him to death just because you can.
>>
I'm working on scaling-up and -down some of the better monsters in the MM so they have versions you can use at more levels. Currently doing Rakshasas, which got me thinking:

>>46338749
How broken is +2 Cha, +1 Dex and Immune to cantrips ?
>>
>>46338610
I just don't see it. Race, in this context, is just a skin with a few disadvantages and advantages. What does it really matter beyond that?

Heck, it has been working fine as a Wood Elf for stats for the last six levels. Just tossing in language problems and a few mobility issues.

All I'm looking for is some suggestions for flavor advantage/disadvantage that I might not have considered to flesh it out a bit more. Killing the character is just not going to happen, if for no other reason that it defeats the entire reason for asking the question in the first place.

>>46338602
I know it isn't optimum. But that isn't a major concern. This isn't Pathfinder after all. Mostly new players anyhow, so even less of a concern.
>>
>>46338881
They are both so diluted it shouldn't matter.
>>
>>46338833
Also the default explanation for Infernal tieflings as presented in the PHB. Contrary to popular belief, those DiTerlizzi "so beautiful in the art but maligned and randomly ugly as sin by mechanics" abominations that plagued the 90s.
>>
>>46338931

>How broken is +2 Cha, +1 Dex and Immune to cantrips

that's already pretty similar to half elf. maybe you could use half elf and call yourself a tiefling
>>
>>46338957
It matters at a level where they are undiluted enough to be differentiable.
>>
>>46338931
I don't really think rakshasa are appropriate for this purpose.
>>
>>46339030
For teiflings, or for rescaling? Because either way: 2e had like 4 sorts of Rakshasa, and they tend to live among humans in disguise.
>>
One of my PCs want to rule a kingdom in the future.

What's the best way to handle this if he comes close to doing this? Try to port kingdom building from Pathfinder?
>>
>>46338924
You can't plan for a paladin who is immune to fear, immune to charm, has 60ft. of sunlight around him at all times and can easily drop 14d8+20 radiant damage on an undead a turn

Strahd takes 20 damage a turn if he's in that sunlight, has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks (he needs to hit 21 with disadvantage, good luck)
>>
>>46338949
If that's how you feel about it, then just throw on whatever disadvantages you feel are appropriate, throw on whatever advantages you feel are appropriate, and tell the player to exercise their discretion.

I just don't see that running a Wood Elf Paladin PC that's actually a Celestial Wolf being that viable in-game, because there's surely going to be a point where the mismatch between crunch and fluff will be relevant, and would personally just take steps to have it simply not have to happen - but it's quite possible that your players won't ever bring it up, or you'll be able to handle it when it does.

Run the game you want to run, I suppose. I can only advise you what I'd do in your situation.
>>
>>46339150
Yeah you can. You fly atop a tower and chuck ranged attacks at him. And when he nears to top of your tower, you fly to a different tower.
>>
>>46339150
> I'm a REAL man.
Yeah, this module is not for you.
>>
>>46339150
>Getting in the way of a millenia-old vampire
>expecting a fair fight
Mortifying.
>>
>>46339191
Strahds ranged attack is Ray of Frost. Which is 60ft.

So Strahd attempts to do a single +10 2d8 damage attack (with disadvantage) while taking 20 radiant damage from the sunlight?

Nice strategy, chief
>>
>>46339156
>whatever disadvantages you feel are appropriate, throw on whatever advantages you feel are appropriate

Which is what I was looking for. As in, any suggestions I might have missed.

>mismatch between crunch and fluff will be relevant

I don't see that happening. Why do you? At what point?
>>
>>46339150
Yes you can, dummy. Strahd is still a powerful mage, has TONS of powerful slaves and servants, and knows the layout of the castle far better than any player will. He SHOULD NOT be an easy kill, even for the final battle.
>>
>>46339134
there's a strongholds homebrew that is decent. The pdf is too large to post, and I don't have the link. It is called Strongholds or something to that effect.
>>
>>46339150
you are missing the point
>>
>>46339134
Retire him. He isn't a PC adventurer if he is running a kingdom
>>
>>46339150
paladunce is still alive and well i see
>>
>>46339278
>9th level wizard
>powerful

this nigga
>>
>>46339260
Strahd is also an intelligent, vastly-old vampire, capable of using items outside of his given statblock when confronted with foes seemingly-designed specifically to kill him in direct combat, to not fight them in direct combat.

He's quite capable of playing Donkey Kong with you from atop a tower with the boatload of tricks and traps he's built up over the years, sending you through the equivalent of the entire Castlevania series with his centuries of magics, or else just grabbing a fucking crossbow and kiting you until you get tired and fall from exhaustion.
>>
>>46339290
I'll google that, thanks.

>>46339304
I suppose that's one way to do it.
>>
>>46339336
He has a ton of minions, is a vampire, has a ton of USEFUL spells (if you don't see how they are useful that's entirely your problem, it's pretty obvious), knows the lay of the land, can summon MORE servantts to help him if he needs to, can do lair actions... He's well worth his CR, and if all you do is make him ray of frost or slap halfheartedly at them, no fucking SHIT he's going to be weak. You are DOING it wrong.
>>
>>46339304
Its sad to see how D&D has decayed over the decades. What was once a great perk is now something to be avoided.
>>
>>46339400
> A single example of a lazy DM
>> BAWW MUH SYSTEM'S FALLING APARTT
Ok.
>>
>>46339400
if you aint a murderhobo then you can GET OUT.

I agree with you.
>>
>>46339134
>>46339134
That could work. There are a mix of stronghold rules out there from 1e up to today. It used to be an assumed thing, that a fighter of a certain level would start his own hold and basically try to build up to a kingdom.

It really depends on where you want to start him off. Is he building a stronghold on a bit of land he won and starting his own Hold? Or are we talking about marrying the princess and becoming the king? Either way, you have to realize that the campaign you are running will be fundamentally changing in focus.
>>
>>46339400
>>46339454
>>46339460

if your character has a kingdom and income, a sane person would retire with all that wealth. if you are adventuring all the time then how are you going to manage any of it or spend it?
>>
>>46339496
> Not knowing about King Pellinore
>>
>>46339496
>a sane person
anon, we're talking about an adventurer
>>
>>46339261
Because a celestial wolf is not a half-elf; does not have opposable thumbs; is not proficient in plate armor; can't use a large number of magic items accessible to humanoids; is affected by abilities which target celestials but not fey; will find significant difficulty in crafting, learning trades or what have you during downtime activities; and probably quite a fair number of things besides.

But the problem isn't what I can think of now - it's what I can't think of and get blindsided by during play. It's far simpler to just sidestep the problem by making the wolf not-a-wolf-any-more, and asking the players to please understand.
>>
>>46339542
Or even just Arthur for that matter. While politics and kingdom management tied him down a lot, that didn't stop him from adventuring on occasion.
It's just that adventures at that stage, you are doing things of a greater scale than wiping out tiny goblin camps since you are rich enough to hire adventurers yourself to do small time shit.
>>
>>46339496
Bruh. Do you even warrior-king?
>>
>>46339496
Becoming King isn't an end goal, it's a starting point.
>>
>>46339473
>>
>>46339563
Man, I've played enough Rogue Trader to know for sure that Adventurers with a fuckton of petty cash just have bigger Adventures.
>>
>>46339596
>>
are there better first level rituals than unseen servant?
>>
>>46339662
Only Tenser's Floating Disk could rival Unseen Servant for usefulness
>>
>>46339662
Find Familiar, perhaps?
>>
>>46339714
This.
>>
>>46339548
>Because a celestial wolf is not a half-elf; does not have opposable thumbs; is not proficient in plate armor; can't use a large number of magic items accessible to humanoids; is affected by abilities which target celestials but not fey; will find significant difficulty in crafting, learning trades or what have you during downtime activities; and probably quite a fair number of things besides.

The magic item issues and trade/craft stuff isn't that much of an issue for 5e. It isn't like 3.pathfinder where you are running around crafting god weapons or something. Magic items are few and far between.

I've considered the armor issue. But...I'm not that sure it is really a major issue. The reality is that when someone gets a magic item (say armor) it is a choice of the DM. Instead of giving the character 'magic armor' I can simply just let them find a way to increase their AC by the same amount that would have been increased if I had allowed them to 'find' armor of whatever. Really, the same goes for any other magic item/effect.

The targeting of celestial/fey thing is fine to me. So what if the character has problems from both ends? Sounds good to me. Heck, I just might add some stuff to make it pop up more often.

Likely the two of us have a very difference approach to RAW. Which is fine. I just have no problem with 'eh, make it work' and 'nah, not happening' and rules be damned. Really only concerned if the players are having fun or not.
>>
>>46339797
> Asks for feedback.
> Equivocates when feedback is given.
Go away.
>>
>>46339797
This is fair. As I said, I can only advise you with what I'd do. I'm personally not terribly confident with improvising things which will work in the long run, so I'd attempt to rein in things to fit in line with the existing rules.

But in the end, the best thing you yourself can do is run the game you want to run.
>>
File: 1459218353200.jpg (46KB, 640x454px)
1459218353200.jpg
46KB, 640x454px
>"You run into these creatures and you realize that he's immune to slashing damage"
>"Okay, I'll use half-swording with my Fighter's two handed sword"
>"Okay, you can do that with disadvantage"
>mfw
>>
>>46339899
why would you ever not use a maul
>>
>>46339473
>>46339596
>>46339643

He wants to start his own pirate kingdom. All the while he's wanted by a powerful drug lord.
>>
>>46339899
It's more generous than he could be.
>>
>>46339875
Just explaining my point of view.

He brought up some good points. The armor/item issue I think primary of them. I showed how I plan (and have) handled them. Maybe there are bigger problems beyond how I have handled it so far.
>>
>>46339988
Actually, my primary problem, and rationale behind my suggestion was:
>But the problem isn't what I can think of now - it's what I can't think of and get blindsided by during play. It's far simpler to just sidestep the problem by making the wolf not-a-wolf-any-more, and asking the players to please understand.

But you seem more comfortable with complete improvisation, so, again, do as you are most comfortable with.
>>
>>46339896
Thought about it a bit more. We may have different perceptions here as well. I'm not seeing the whole 'celestial wolf' thing as bringing along with it a bunch of killer 'celestial' abilities. You (and very fairly so) may be seeing it as bringing that stuff. In which case,I fully get where you are coming from. 'I want to play a half angel half demon half vampire etc etc'

To me, it was just a 'big wolf companion' that I added a bit of 'celestial' description to so I could have a few more story hooks later on. Not much beyond that. There hasn't been any 'celestial' stuff at all, other than the Paladin stuff (which is the justification there).

I actually haven't even checked if there is a Celestial Wolf entry in the MM yet, probably should do that to see what they suggest.
>>
>>46340070
There isn't
>>
>>46340070
> I actually haven't even checked if there is a Celestial Wolf entry in the MM yet

There isn't. It's some homebrew moon princess power bullshit.
>>
>>46340070
>I'm not seeing the whole 'celestial wolf' thing as bringing along with it a bunch of killer 'celestial' abilities. You (and very fairly so) may be seeing it as bringing that stuff.
Not particularly. Again, I just see it is difficult to stat out satisfactorily.

>I actually haven't even checked if there is a Celestial Wolf entry in the MM yet
There isn't. The closest thing would be a wolf summoned by the Find Steed ritual, which is just a common wolf with the Celestial subtype.
>>
>>46340144
>>46340159
>>46340170

So much for that idea...

OK, so how about just the whole 'keen nose' thing? Advantage on rolls that deal with scent. I'm thinking tracking, perception, investigation, that sort of thing. Too much?
>>
>>46339899
to be fair, most people don't train to do that.
You could probably say "im going to how to do this on my own time" like learning a language, just minus a teacher+money.
>>
>>46340280
I think it's fine, and what you had before was still fine. Having a unique character is chill if the rest of the party doesn't mind, it's when a player brings it to a GM and expects it to be passed that there's an issue.
>>
How do you deal with a vampires charm effect?
>>
>>46339938
Take a look at that pathfinder skull and crossbones scenario set. It might have some stuff for you.

Pirate king huh...Sure, why not. You really just need to look at cost and income.

I'm not sure though just exactly how much 'kingdom' he can get out of it. I'd imagine that the local powers would come stomp him hard long before he got powerful enough to matter. Considering that his income comes from taking from them (I presume). Pirates are only tolerated until the cost of doing nothing becomes higher than the cost of crushing them. And that happens long before they get a chance to take over as a rule.

I'd suggest a different income strategy for him. But, eh, let him have a go at it. Your campaign just got a sea focus (if you are alright with it). Now he is out gathering ships, capturing military ships, looking for more treasures or special items he needs. Next he has to go deal with some underwater demon thing and do a quest to get it as an ally. That sort of thing.
>>
>>46339899
What creature is immune to just slashing? The only creature with selective resistances that I know of is skeletons.
>>
>>46340454
Some oozes. He didn't say Just Slashing.
>>
>>46340438
Elves have resistance to charms, paladins have grand Cha/Wis saves (I know the saving throw is one or the other but I can't remember which). Resilient is another way to bolster your saves if you are not a class with that type of save. Outside of that, you just gotta kill the vampire super fast. Paladins and caster with the sunlight spell work super well for that.

>>46340518
Ah ok then. In that case, how you used your weapon probably didn't matter. More over, since you used your weapon on an ooze, you probably lost your weapon during the fight if you did hit it a second time.
>>
>>46338251
I'd say it doesn't fit well with 5e either. There are already special situations to mimic flanking; Rogues can 'flank' and having flanking rules makes Wolf Barbarians less useful.

I'd say its not needed, to flank an enemy you'd use the Help action to distract an opponent while you're mate sticks them.
>>
>>46340685
i agree

i was thinking about if i ever dm having flanking as defined in the dmg instead maybe counteract one instance of disadvantage but not apply advantage. just because i like the idea of flanking. or something like that.
>>
>>46340930
>maybe counteract one instance of disadvantage
Advantage and Disadvantage already do that. If you have 6 conditions applying Disadvantage, and a single one applying Advantage, you make the roll with neither.
>>
I had a Chaotic Neutral player ask if they could use Awaken on an Undead they create ingame, so I thought up this at work since AFAIK you shouldn't be able to according to the description for Awaken.

>Awakened Undead have the memories of the revived body in life, though the energies driving them may not be the same soul as it had in life. Depending on the condition of the body/how long since it died/maybe the religious standing of the corpse the memories can be damaged
>Roll a 1d3
>on 1 the revived body retains it's alignment in life, however spells like Detect Evil will clearly show it's undead.
>On 2 the revived body is Neutral and lacks any personality (though it can develop one over time, and whatever memories it had can affect this). As above with Detect Evil and similar spells.
>On 3 roll a random alignment
>Undead must still follow commands from their creator however they can make a check once a day to break control if given an order conflicting their nature if they choose
>>
I'm running OotA and my players just escaped from Velkynvelve without bothering to look for any of their belongings.
So what's a good way I can give the wizard an opportunity to get a spellbook in the next session or two?
>>
>>46341073
Beg, borrow, buy, or steal.
>>
>>46341073
>Steal / beg for one from a traveling merchant.
>A wandering madman shows up out of the blue who happened to be wizards before losing their mind.
>That secret society with the good mindflayer and other odd aligned underdark races steal the book from the priestess in secret and return it to your wizard in exchange for a future favor.
>>
>>46341073
Eating the wrong mushroom and scribbling his deranged visions onto thin sheets of cloth, which just so happen to be his spellbook's list of spells.
>>
>>46340998
i know, so it would be like half advantage instead of full advantage.
>>
>>46341073
>Dimension Door opens at their camp one night
>Demon wearing a mailman uniform (complete with goofy shorts) says he has a package for the wizard to sign for
>Wizard gets his book back (in a cardboard bubblewrapped box) and one week later gets an invoice for 100gp (or his soul in tiny letters at the bottom)
>>
>>46341073
It happened to me. You have various options. >You can throw some noob tier drow mage on their next trandom encounter who has a spellbook.
>You can let him buy one blank spellbook on the next city they arrive (Blingdenstone or the duergar city are better for this than the others)
>If they are in Kuo-toa land, when the priest reach them for help, you can have thar frog to give them some random items (seeing they haven't any) from dead drow patrols, and put a spellbook there.
>>
>>46340930
How to make flanking actually good and not override tons of class features: shields only give bonus to AC from the front.
>>
>>46341513
>tfw this is plausible enough to actually happen in a magical underground world being invaded by demons
>one of the demon lords sends an imp carrying his gear into their camp and offers all his gear and some other bonus in return for his soul
>>
>>46341811

Studded Leather should only provide AC from the front as well, and Halfplate should not provide any AC if your opponent is prone.

Seriously that's a good way to make Shields mechanically weaker, but flanking is still bullshit.
>>
>two rouges, a fighter, and a monk attempting to run Curse of Strahd

They're fucked, aren't they?
>>
>>46342031

can rogues sneak attack undead in 5e?
>>
>>46342043
Yup. Nothing is immune to it anymore. Even Pathfinder got rid of that shit, I think.
>>
>>46342031
100% fucked
>>
>>46342031
What's a rouge? The color?
>>
>>46342031

>Only one character with heavy armor proficiency

Well, you're gonna miss out on three-quarters of the sets of full plate in the death house that way. The ones that fit any humanoid, are perfectly usable, and do not disintegrate when leaving the death house.
>>
>>46342209
shut the fuck up REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>46342209

(You)
>>
>>46342209
I feel like you're not even the original poster because its so ridiculous now that its a joke and the original guy was just buttblasted.
>>
>>46342031
Most likely, unless someone picks up the healer feat or multiclasses into a healing class.

However, the group I'm in is playing through OotA, and we have all 3 types of fighters, a rogue with a fighter dip, a shadow monk, and a wizard with a cleric dip. So far we have had little problem dealing with anything outside of the first session.
>>
>>46342209
every time I see this backwards ass cancer post I get the urge to DM a death house game just to kill the players who try this shit. I would never kill a player for trying mind you but I will say I would declare them ornate upon further inspection, and I would rule the same for the one in the third floor too. That one is just so tough to hit while animated because of magic.
>>
File: capture.png (45KB, 642x326px) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
45KB, 642x326px
>>46342209
>>
>>46342282
How rudely should I tell one of the rogue players to get his ass changed to a cleric?
>>
File: melting.gif (490KB, 500x209px) Image search: [Google]
melting.gif
490KB, 500x209px
>>46342440

NOOOO I HAVE BEEN DEFEATTTEEEDDddddblbhlghglarrrghhgurlgle
>>
>>46342440
I love you. Thank you so much for this.

>>46342479
Don't be rude about it. Just ask the party if one of them could play a cleric or would be willing to multiclass cleric. You only need a cleric for two things:
>Healing factor
>Anti-undead abilities
Also, clerics get the best magic item in the book. If you must you can hint at that to get a greedy player to go cleric.
>>
File: HAHA.jpg (31KB, 500x333px)
HAHA.jpg
31KB, 500x333px
>>46342518
>>
>>46342537
Nah I'd rather tell this faggot to play a cleric. Won't really matter to him since he doesn't roleplay anyway.
>>
>>46342440
fake shit

deal with the fact that I have 22 AC with plate, a shield, the cloak of protection and Defense fighting style at level 2, all in Death House
>>
>>46342765
Obviously you have a permanent Shield spell, and the plate is also +3 along with the shield. Obviously. Because it doesn't matter what the book says, right?
>>
>>46342765
hope your saves are okay because Strahd's gonna charm your dick off as soon as your back is turned
>>
File: 1376260683858.gif (2MB, 197x245px)
1376260683858.gif
2MB, 197x245px
>>46342878
>Paladin
>Bad saves

>TWENTY TWO AC thanks to the free sets of plate in Death House
>>
>>46342923
>AC

insert smug anime girl
>>
>>46342923
If I were DM, I would have Strahd let you leave Barovia. He is smart enough to pick his battles and recognize a That Guy.
>>
>>46342765
Cloak of Protection...?

If your DM gave yiu that they're either shit, or you're seriously going to need it.

Either way.
The suits if armor are fake and so are you.
>>
>>46342765
I'm gonna quote the book here:

"Standing suits of armor flank wooden doors in the east and west walls. Each suit of armor clutches a spear and has a visored helm shaped like a wolf’s head."

It never says plate, and it sounds more decorational with the whole wolf head shaped helm bit.

>>46342923
Also, paladins don't really have over average saves prior to level 6.
>>
File: Untitled.png (757KB, 1351x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
757KB, 1351x1300px
>>46342968
>>46342964
>>46342934
>>
>>46342968
There's a cloak of protection in Death House, anon.
>>
>>46342964
Or just kill him straight away to make an example of him.

Because fuck paladins
>>
The warforged in the Eberron UA seem pretty weak to me. Are they, or is it just my imagination?
>>
>>46342987
Well tickle me pink,

Why the fuck would they put that in there?
>>
>>46343054
That's a lie. There is no such thing, just like the plate isn't actual wearable plate. All that's in the house are some scrolls, potions, treasure, and a spellbook.
>>
>>46343054
same reason they put 4 sets of pristine 300 year old full plate that doesn't degrade upon leaving the house. :^)
>>
>>46343114
I hope you're having fun, it's been a couple days (assuming you're even the same person)
>>
>>46343148

(You) are legion
>>
File: 1500851753385229.jpg (25KB, 450x121px) Image search: [Google]
1500851753385229.jpg
25KB, 450x121px
>>46343107
>>46343054
Pretty sad to lie just because you can't deal with the 22.
>>
File: smugtea.png (404KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
smugtea.png
404KB, 853x480px
>>46343174
>>
>>46343047

Everything in the Eberron UA is on the weak side. It was one of the earliest UAs, when they still didn't really know what would be too strong/too weak for 5e.

Honestly though, if you just bump one of the +1s to a +2 it would put them more in line with the others. I know that's what I plan to do if any players I'm DMing for ever play one of those races.
>>
>>46343174
Ah, you're right. DOesn't change the armor being 100% worthless on leaving the manor though. Just because it doesn't specify every single particle of the house crumbling on being removed doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In fact, the reverse is true: it specifies when something IS usable on leaving the house. That means you are trolling, or just completely dense. Either way, not worth continuing to respond. You've got your (You), and maybe you can persuade some idiot GM to let a party of level 1s have 4 sets of platemail. Good for you if you can swing it.
>>
File: death house rot.png (9KB, 245x52px)
death house rot.png
9KB, 245x52px
>>46343292
>In fact, the reverse is true: it specifies when something IS usable on leaving the house.
No, actually. The only thing that it ever refers to as being destroyed when it leaves the house is pic related in the dining room.
>>
How challenging is CoS to play/run for a group/DM that have only 7-8 sessions of experience with 5e (or RPGs at all)?

I'm worried it's gonna be a train wreck, but my group's super excited. We all started roleplaying with LMoP a few months ago.
>>
>people are arguing RAW beats RAI

I thought we'd evolved beyond you fucking Mongoloids
>>
>>46343479
It is necessary to illustrate the situation at least once, otherwise there would be no precedent for decay at all.
>>
>>46343487
if they pick a good team comp and tend to work together it's really up to how smart you want to play strahd

he's meant to be watching the players always, with spies and scrying and then destroying them when they no longer amuse him
>>
Here you go, folks. I tweeted Perkins.

https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/715029814357454848
>>
>>46343487
It's best for people that like roleplaying more than fighting, since they are likely to lose fights until they get a few levels under their belts. Need to be fine with the better part of valor.
Other than that, it's up to how you run it. Bear in mind Strahd doesn't want the party dead for a while, they are entertaining. He wants to fuck with them, keep them terrorized, but not drop anyone.
>>
>>46343534
Specific trumps general, anon. General: things don't decay when they exit a house. Specific: those items decay when they exit that house.
>>
>>46343487
If you get through LMoP ok then they will be just fine to run through CoS. It is a challenging campaign but id does have a way to help deal with the challenge in the form of a gypsy who can revive party members as well as Bravodia keeping the souls of the deceased trapped in the cursed land, leading to interesting curse deals and forced resurrections with with permanent madness. Overall though, they should enjoy it. I've only played death house and one other session preluding death house. It was really fun and had a good balance of RP and combat. It may be challenging to DM depending on how much practice as a DM you have but the good news is you only have one major villain to worry about and only a small handful of important NPCs (or so I have gathered as of thus far from thread gossip).

I wish you and your group the best of luck.
>>
>>46342923
zoo wee mama, i hope ol' vampy pappy invites you over for nuggets and cola soon~
>>
>>46343580
>General: things don't decay when they exit a house
But that's just you making that generalization

>those items decay when they exit that house
Yes, in one of the first rooms in the house, setting the precedent that all decorative items act in kind.

And to further defeat your argument, the items that do NOT completely decay (the will, deed, and notebooks) are explicitly detailed as such.
Thread posts: 405
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.