[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Dm seeks help with problem player

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 2015-06-25 23.06.07.jpg (73KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-25 23.06.07.jpg
73KB, 1000x1000px
Hey all newish Dm here and I need some advice. I have a player in my campaign who made another player sign a Contract detailing what his role will be in the party and such which is fine I don't mind that it ads to the role play factor, but there are times where he holds up the campaign for everyone cause he argues about the contract. He also spends every moment of the campaign second guessing my decisions as DM cause he memorized all the rule books. The main focus of my campaign is for people to learn 5e and I brought him in originally to help people learn and all he does is talk down and berate them. I've tried talking to him about this and he hasn't changed his behavior. What should I do as Dm to rectify this issue?
>>
File: 1458775572493.jpg (329KB, 612x945px) Image search: [Google]
1458775572493.jpg
329KB, 612x945px
"stop"
>he says okay
problem solved
>he says no
"leave"
problem solved
>>
Let's clarify a couple things. Firstly, was this a contract between the 'characters' or between the 'players'? If it was between characters then just let them roleplay it out, maybe drop hints to have someone arbitrate in game. If it's between players then you need to step in and rip that fucking contract into shreds. There's rules lawyering autism, which is annoying but manageable, and then there is this. You are letting this one player dictate the game because you don't feel as comfortable with the rules as they do.

Stop, take a breath, and repeat after me; "I am the DM. The rules are in place to help me, they are subject to my whims, I am not a prisoner to them in letter or in spirit." And it's the truth. You need to assert control. If you want to play a RAW game then sit down and familiarize yourself more with the rules, but otherwise just enjoy the game and if something comes up you're not sure on - crack open the book and find the answer.

In fact, after typing this all out I'm more inclined to just say boot that player or tell them that they can either rip up the contract and approach the game as an equal and worthwhile player or they can fuck off.
>>
>>46317084
ive never had to kick some one out of a game before and im worried it would effect 1) our friendship 2) ruin it for another player who is his significant other
>>
>>46316986

Hard to say. Maybe he's right. Maybe you all deserve it. Maybe not. You're not giving many details.

You did the right thing in talking to him. Do that again and this time make it clear you're really not happy with how things are, and that you're after more constructive criticism, and that you'd prefer it done at the end of the session where it won't hold up play. Also point out that it's not a total disaster if you make some mistakes, because people learn from experience.
>>
>>46317142
You can either suffer in silence or you can act. You've already tried being reasonable and you've said the player hasn't corrected their behavior. If you're really dead set on trying to be diplomatic then maybe go through the SO to try and reach the problem player. Otherwise, you'll need to bite the bullet and confront the issue head-on. Try and get the other players to voice their own feelings, gang up on the guy, make him realize his bullshit is ruining the game for everyone and he is clearly in the wrong by himself with no support.
>>
>>46317152
>Hard to say. Maybe he's right. Maybe you all deserve it. Maybe not. You're not giving many details.
I'd like for you to explain a situation in which it's ever okay for one player to dictate, with something as ridiculous as a contract, what another player's role in a game should be. Further, explain any situation in which a group 'deserves' to have one fuckhead second-guessing the DM constantly and using the rules as a cudgel rather than trying to work things out and get everyone on the same page.
>>
>>46317127
its a contract between the charecters and i have given them chances to RP it out and it held up the game for 45 min cause he (player A) was trying to harp on every little detail and the other player who only agreed with the idea of the contract in the first place cause he (player B) thought it would be good for flavor since his character was a merchant

the details are this player A is a magic user in a world where magic is very rare so he puts his servies up for hire for a fee

player B is a merchant who decied to hire player A to have as an extra hand on the adventure while they try to solve whats going on in the world
>>
>>46316986
Tell him to stop being such a fucking prat. Seriously, hes being a cunt and he should shut the fuck up, take the stick out of his ass and chill the fuck out.

If he insists on continuing to question your decisions and otherwise be a prat, give him the choice of shutting up or taking on DMing responsibility.
>>
>>46317243

OK chucklefuck, game on.

>contract

When it's with That Guy who otherwise would derp shit up all the time.

>second-guessing the DM

When it's That DM who otherwise would derp shit up all the time.

Wow, easier than I thought. Thanks for playing, touchypants.
>>
File: 1306533563656.jpg (34KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
1306533563656.jpg
34KB, 431x450px
>>46316986
>>46317142
Let me give you an advice i got from Machiavelli himself. When you need to cause harm, do it from the shadows, and leave no way of the enemy coming back at you.

Since you tried doing it peacefully, talking to him about it, and since i guess you are not an assertive person since you have problems like this, its time to kick him out the smart way.

A few days after a session and before another, talk to the others about his behaviour. Be as simple as you can, and talk generally.

Then, without telling the others, call him and tell him that you have bad news, but SOME (it is important to state this) of the others decided they can handle his attitude anymore and asked his exile.

Why do it this way? Well, firstly because you are a coward. Secondly, because that way you make yourself seem as the "benevolent democrat" and, even if he goes around asking who asked for this, he won't get answers, or at least not ones he will believe to be truthful ones. Plus, if the others start wondering if such a request (for him to leave) was made, they will each most likely think that, since you said SOME, the rest of the group asked for it.
>>
>>46317283
ill admit i derp up time to time like i said im a new DM but for the most part i go by the rules and bend them fairly if its not something major this person how ever will argue weather a sword should be dealing piercing damage or slashing damage based on the way the enemy swings it
>>
>>46317283
>When it's with That Guy who otherwise would derp shit up all the time.

Let me be abundantly clear; if you ever try and control another player's RP through a 'contract' then YOU are That Guy. If it's two That Guys derping on eachother then abandon the fucking game, nuke from orbit.

>That DM who otherwise would derp shit up all the time.

So rather than a.) run a game yourself or b.) leave the game you don't like, you choose instead to shit up that game for the people may be enjoying the DMing style or not worried about the trivial minutiae that can come up in the rules? I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, sweetheart, but you are the cancer that kills games.
>>
>>46317337
Littlefinger pls go
>>
>>46317127
Good post. I concur.

I'm a longtime player and DM (since the 80's) and I often elaborate on these types of threads, however in this case, it seems pretty cut and dry: You've got an overbearing player who is being the worst kind of rules lawyer. He's a poor fit for any table. Tell him "We gotta let you go, dude."
>>
>>46317597
Wanna make me pleb?
>>
>>46317337
Another option would be to simply end the campaign. Then restart without the bothersome player and the significant other.
>>
>>46317484
>Let me be abundantly clear; blah blah blah

Opinion noted, and dismissed.

>So rather than herp derp [tears intensify]

See, you're making a shit-ton of assumptions here, to the point where you're basically strawmanning. It's like you don't know how to actually argue properly at all.

Try again. Actually don't bother. You're rather tedious as a poster, being both long-winded and stupid, which is the worst possible combination.
>>
>>46317996
Uh huh, so you're obviously just shitposting. I can't believe I took the bait. Here's the (You) that you've worked so hard for.
>>
>>46317996
Guy, can you cease the diarrhea posts?
>>
>>46318185
>8185 ▶
>>>46317996
thanks lol i was just about to ask the same thing
>>
>>46317720
>>46317337
Littlefinger pls stay
>>
OP, you got basically the right responses here.
If a player is holding up the game with nonsense, and you, as gm, have pulled them aside and said, Hey, can you stop it, and they refuse, you draw the line in the sand.
Talk to the other players, see how they feel about it, work with the mood of the group.
If it becomes untenable, then you ask him to leave. Prepare for him to go full douche and badger the SO to stop showing up, too, because people are cunts, but you need to look after the group, not a single player.
>>
>>46318479
>a player is holding up the game with nonsense, and you, as gm, have pulled them aside and said, Hey, can you stop it, and they refuse, you draw the line in the sand.
>Talk to the other players, see how they feel
yea i think i made my choice im going to talk to him when i get home from work tonight tell him hes out
>>
>>46318508
Good luck and godspeed.
I hope it works out for the best, for you and your players.
>>
>>46318508

You gotta tell us how it goes, OP.
>>
really hope the problem player was someone on this thread who said kick him out, just for keks
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.