[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Future Weaponry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 46

File: las revolva.jpg (82KB, 680x477px) Image search: [Google]
las revolva.jpg
82KB, 680x477px
Hey /tg/ so I have been writing my very own Space Opera setting and I was wondering what kind of weaponry we may have when we could move fast as light. I already straight ripped the little doctor from the Ender's Game setting but i was thinking more on a personal level. I also figure augment and cyberpunk like guns are a staple and I added Mecha and Star fighters because I love those. So any ideas on what else we would have around that time frame other than las guns.
>>
An oil that you spray on a blade with a particular chemical makeup to give it a mono molecular edge.

DNA guns: guns that shoot a massive "beam" of Toxic pathogens that can knock out, cripple or even kill but only to a target that is "registered" in the gun, all other people will be completely immune.

Generally only wanted felons are registered in DNA guns though there is a market for jailbroken guns.
>>
>>46256358
What sort of scale are we talking about here? Personal, armored warfare, spaceships...any and all of the above?
>>
>>46256682
All of the above man I'm taking any and all ideas
>>
A sword made of a ceramic type material that feels like smoothed and polished stone.

The edges are blunt and if you swing it at someone it's like hitting them with a club. However when the sword is activated the edges will glow with a white heat.

Earlier versions of this weapon when it was first introduced had the blade coated in a fluid that would combust upon contact with the air. While this oil could be purchased and used on regular blade it's highly corrosive and will eventually destroy most regular metal blades within one or two uses.

A similar weapon system utilized a fluid that would sap heat and freeze objects it came in contact with. The fluid would be gradually secreted through the blade so that when it cut the fluid can be transferred to the targets wounds.
>>
>>46256720
Alright. Forgive me if this is a bit stream of consciousness then.

Strangelet cannons. Weapons firing small amounts of strange matter, a configuration made out strange quarks in addition to the up and down quarks that most atomic particles are made of. In theory should cause a chain reaction of nuclear transmutation turning any regular matter it touches into more strange matter. Eventually the entire mass of the target is transformed into strange matter, then tears itself apart into a blast of strangelets flung in every direction. Basically the hard sci-fi version of the Little Doctor you've already got, if you want a theoretical mechanism for actually doing it.

Fractal blades. Blades whose edges have fractal serration branching down to the atomic level, has the best possible cutting action you can have. Would probably be pretty fragile, though, you'd want to include some sort of nanotech self-repair system so it doesn't blunt immediately. Would be suitable as both personal and mecha weapons.

Nuclear shaped charges, likely to be one of the staples of major space warfare when the really nasty stuff isn't being deployed. Nukes are inefficient in space, no atmosphere to carry the shockwave. You need to focus the blast for better range. Two ways to do this. First is to place the bomb in a disposable "barrel" of neutron-reflective material, causes most of the blast to be diverted into a narrow cone. Second is to surround the bomb with fission-pumped gamma ray lasers, shoots out a bunch of laser blasts instead of a dispersed pulse. First method is for hitting individual hardened targets, second is for taking out swarms of light ones.

Reactive metals. Something we're working on right now, should be really good in the space future. Two normally inert metal powders sintered into a shell, when compressed they react and superheat or explode. Would make great anti-armor rounds, like a long-rod penetrator with an additional explosive or incendiary kick.

>cont.
>>
>>46257114
Strangelet cannons would be fucking terrifying. Consider the fact that atmosphere is matter as well. Fire it once, and anything on the planet will eventually decay from the chain reaction. Unless you had a way to contain the emitted strangelet particles from the target, and could isolate the path between the weapon and the target.

Sounds to me like a much better doomsday weapon for the party to go and disable/destroy.
>>
>>46256358

Chlorine trifluoride projector.

Because sometimes you need to make everything explode into fire.
>>
>>46257114
The Kzinti lesson: Any star-drives usefulness as a weapon is directly proportional to its usefulness as a propulsion system. That's usually referring to reaction rockets (the only different between a fusion thruster and a plasma beam cannon is the presence of safety measures), but if your setting has FTL then it applies to that, too. Imagine a warp missile that pushes its way through a target at superluminal speeds, using the edge of its warp field to grab hold of matter and move it out of the way. It would core a hole straight through a ship. Or a singularity weapon, collapsing the warp field in controllable ways to throw things out of our plane of reality.

Fullerene-encapsulated antimatter. A molecule of fullerene (also known as a "bucky ball"), due to its spherical shape, has a region at its center where any particle trapped inside can't escape or interact with other particles. This could be used to safely contain small amounts of antimatter. Very small, compared to the mass of the fullerene, so it won't be nearly as destructive, but that's actually a good thing. It means you can use it in more ways than just weapons of mass destruction. Some sort of high-powered cross between an autocannon and a grenade launcher comes to mind. Great for both vehicle warfare and emplaced infantry weapons.

Information warfare is likely to be pretty important, naturally. I can see a lot of specialized hacking robots and nanotech agents being deployed in that role. Rather than write them all out, have a pdf of someone else who's done that for me. http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/Gremlins.pdf

Yeah, I'm starting to run dry on the creativity well. I'm going to stop for now, I'll continue if I think of anything new.
>>
>>46257346
Oh, yeah, it's not meant to be used on any planet (or even near any planet) you don't want destroyed. That's why I compared it to the "Little Doctor" weapon that OP was talking about. It's a weapon from Ender's Game that does the same thing through some nebulously-defined matter-disintegration ray. Shoot a ship with it, the ship explodes. Shoot a planet with it, the planet explodes.
>>
>>46257445
If the planet were to explode, wouldnt the strangelet particles continue to spread from that point and then convert all other matter into strange matter?

It would only be a "matter" of time before everything would be consumed.
>>
>>46256358
Coil based sniper rifle that shoots steel slugs. incredibly accurate, but heavy and requires batteries and assembly.
[SPOILER]It's made by AMD so the coil whine gives away your location at close than 100 yards [/SPOILER]
>>
>>46257622
Nearby matter, yes. But the stuff's unstable and decays to a ground state where it no longer causes nuclear transmutation, so it should be mostly harmless by the time it gets to the nearest planet. I mean, it would still bombard said planet with a lot of radiation, but there aren't many ways to destroy a planet that don't shower its neighbors in radiation so I'm not considering that a mark against it.
>>
Ergotamine gas grenades that make anyone without a gas mask have panic inducing hallucinations
>>
>>46256358
Has nobody discussed the possibility of just space warping weapons?
Weapons that are capable of stretching or compressing local space. This is not some simple "grav gun" shit, but something truly horrifying. Depending on the amount of course.
>>
File: Hit the damn sword button.jpg (148KB, 450x350px) Image search: [Google]
Hit the damn sword button.jpg
148KB, 450x350px
>>46256358
Legendary tier mech weapons are all varying flavors of a sword button.
>>
>>46256358
water balloon full of super acid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superacid
>>
Diving knive made of Uranium-based ceramics. get under the skin and they die of radiation poisoning
>>
File: 13b.gif (3MB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
13b.gif
3MB, 350x250px
>>46257876
Can't wait for the second movie.

Can't wait for a game that isn't a street fighter style game.
>>
File: 1443133768962.jpg (26KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
1443133768962.jpg
26KB, 500x296px
>>46256358
bio-engineered insects or arthropods designed to kill folks in disgusting ways
>>
How high tech is your setting op? how much more powerful would a basic assault rifle be in this setting compared to a modern one? is power armour common?

>>46256358
>>
File: 1455958293365.png (110KB, 1248x2004px) Image search: [Google]
1455958293365.png
110KB, 1248x2004px
>>46257965
IKR. Del toro is best director to have been a closet weeb

crowd control tranq darts that cause uncontollable diahrrea and vomiting
>>
File: th.jpg (13KB, 315x182px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
13KB, 315x182px
DROP THE BASS!!!

>inb4 fucking stupid
>>
File: 1455922252138.jpg (88KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
1455922252138.jpg
88KB, 900x300px
>>46258093
who cares, start snowballing and OP can adapt for tech

iguana sized pest control/guard reptoids trained to go for the junk of 25 distinct alien races
>>
File: tmp_30953-a7c1562844839.jpg (462KB, 900x610px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30953-a7c1562844839.jpg
462KB, 900x610px
>>46256358
Lightning cannon

Because fuck Zeus
>>
File: railgun.jpg (132KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
railgun.jpg
132KB, 1600x1131px
chem-rocket-rails, a 3 stage weapon which is the ultimate in kinetic weaponry. First, the bullet uses an ultra powerful nano-explosive to provide initial massive acceleration, this is further boosted by a set of rails inside the barrel. Finally when the bullet has exited the barrel a powerful rocket on the back of the bullet kick in for even more acceleration.
>>
>>46258138
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDJOeCUYIqY

Not posting the Dubstep gun.
>>
File: 1456137808812.gif (2MB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
1456137808812.gif
2MB, 356x200px
>>46258138
this is fucking stupid

body mod that replaces skin with resilient armor, requires lifetime of drugs for homeostasis
>>
File: 1455931531772.jpg (57KB, 500x399px) Image search: [Google]
1455931531772.jpg
57KB, 500x399px
>>46258239

Thermal rounds that heat weld penetrated materials together, wreaks havoc on mechs with all dat articulation
>>
File: biomega_c020p10.jpg (129KB, 728x1056px) Image search: [Google]
biomega_c020p10.jpg
129KB, 728x1056px
Heavy Multipurpose Assault Vehicles, massive flying/walking space capable craft.

The 'wings' are in fact gravity pylons, which allow massively powerful gravitic field to be generated in the immediate vicinity to the craft, this is the primary method of propulsion. These wings are also tough enough to be used as legs, if required.

A spinal laser running through the craft and coming out the from is the primary long range weapon, banks of coil-assisted missile launchers provide versatility and alpha-strike potential. The craft is 'infested' with nano-machines which serve a variety of functions from self-repair to gripping vehicles and robots for transport.

The secondary weapon system is an array of plasma particle beam cannons which are grabbed by tentacled limbs flash-crafted out of nano-machines allowing all guns to be fired in any direction.
>>
File: r36fz54.jpg (23KB, 550x343px) Image search: [Google]
r36fz54.jpg
23KB, 550x343px
>>46256358
electromagnetic rounds designed to harpoon and embed themselves rather than penetrate, tuned to dither disrupt neurological impulses (fry yo brain) or computer systems.

Tunable high explosives that only destroy certain materials when detonated ( the jet fuel MKII series only disintegrates steel, there are ones that kill carbon based life but leave structures intact, etc)
>>
File: biomega_c022p13.jpg (135KB, 728x1092px) Image search: [Google]
biomega_c022p13.jpg
135KB, 728x1092px
>>46258337

The nano-machines allow the craft to be cornerstones of assault forces, the ability to carry large amounts of reinforcements, construct supplies and expandable cannon-fodder combat bots and repair nearby forces are all key in this.
>>
File: 1455954916767.png (22KB, 1358x638px) Image search: [Google]
1455954916767.png
22KB, 1358x638px
>>46258337
this is indeed my fetish

Pirates that breach with the equivalent of a boring machine on front of hull, ram and pillage religiously shun mech users
>>
File: blame-gbe-3.jpg (298KB, 1024x979px) Image search: [Google]
blame-gbe-3.jpg
298KB, 1024x979px
Graviton beam emitter
>>
File: 5k.jpg (72KB, 728x1016px) Image search: [Google]
5k.jpg
72KB, 728x1016px
>>46258451

You could also use the pylons as melee weapons, crush shit with essentially telekinesis or physically swing them like swords while creating incredibly intense gravity fuckery on the edges.
>>
File: GBE pistol.webm (3MB, 1728x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GBE pistol.webm
3MB, 1728x1080px
>>46258508

my absolute silicon knigger
>>
File: Pcell.jpg (107KB, 411x700px) Image search: [Google]
Pcell.jpg
107KB, 411x700px
>>46258508
>>46258581
these niggas
>>
>>46258581

>mfw Blame! is getting anime movie adaptation

So hyped.
>>
>>46257411
>Fullerene-encapsulated antimatter
sweet tits you've helped a gun I use in my space-opera-ish setting make any god damned sense

I call it a BELLATOR Round: now that I know of Fullerene, it's a slug of depleted uranium that's molded around the antimatter trap. The bullet costs copious amounts to manufacture, and as such is only issued to the squad leader of an operation with the BELLATOR, supersoldiers that take the "Michael Bay" approach to fucking shit up.

Only three bullets are given to a BELLATOR, and they aren't to be used unless dire circumstances occur. Shit like "immortal regenerator zombie shit" or "holy dog shit that's a big alien."
>>
>>46258211
I get the kicker change, but the second stage seems useless since rocket fuel is not magnetic.
>>
>>46259169

It could use something else for propulsion, something magnetic.
>>
File: Omolon Scout Rifle.jpg (23KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Omolon Scout Rifle.jpg
23KB, 600x338px
>>46259117
Samefagging but it's not to promote myself n' shit

Has anyone else tried to brand weapons in their settings (pic related)? I'm currently writing out a list, and I need ideas. So far I've got:

>Old West aesthetic company, parts are easy to maintain and repair without needing advanced machinery or a large supply base (sells munition kits to craft your own bullets)
>Sports Car esque company w/ guns that go for curvy, sleek aesthetics that synergize with badass power armor but are hard as tits to maintain if you aren't regularly supplied with their stuff
>Railgun-punk, make guns that propel bullets faster and are more accurate at cost of firing rate and stability
>"Fuckhueg guns/explosives" company, supply guns that are larger than life and very easy to pop a boner when firing

Any other archetypes a scifi setting could include? I run this shit on the tabletop, hence my posting it here.
>>
File: 3.jpg (500KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
500KB, 1600x1200px
>>46259988

>the company all about innovating, comes up with outlandish weaponry

>the company all about precision, has the best scopes and guided bullets
>>
File: rail_pistol_by_ignusdei.jpg (131KB, 1000x637px) Image search: [Google]
rail_pistol_by_ignusdei.jpg
131KB, 1000x637px
>>46259988
>>46260057(me)

Oh, and I recently uploaded my collection of gun art to an album, could help you out with the setting.

http://smhtbhfam.imgur.com/
>>
File: The robot hits juuuuust right.jpg (19KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
The robot hits juuuuust right.jpg
19KB, 326x326px
>>46260121
>http://smhtbhfam.imgur.com/
awwwww shit man, thank you a TON.

Definitely gonna bookmark this album!
>>
>>46256358
Distortion gun that rips apart your enemies by messing with space and time.

A gun that shoots seeds which instantly grows into trees once it embeds itself into a human body, instantly sapping all water contained.
Great for cover and spooking the shit out of others.
>>
>>46258738
Oh shit really? Fuck this is going to be good.
>>
>>46258581
>That hole is nowhere near big enough
>Killy's arm isn't shattered from recoil
>>
>>46261977

Hopefully since it is a movie they will put a decent amount of budget into it. The CGI works okay with his style, but knights of sydonia looks like it was animated in 5 frames per second.
>>
>>46262073
>>Killy's arm isn't shattered from recoil
I've never read BLAME. However, photons don't cause that much recoil.

If this is a projectile weapon (rail gun) then it would have recoil.

If it's a plasma weapon, then it also has recoil due to plasma being gas, gases have mass and thus would create recoil.

If it's a laser weapon (which it looks like it), then it has no recoil. It should be super hot, however.
>>
File: 5b.jpg (238KB, 750x1100px) Image search: [Google]
5b.jpg
238KB, 750x1100px
>>46262134

It's a 'graviton beam emitter', the actual function of which is not really explained if I recall correctly.

Its sort of like a singularity in beam form, at one point it punches through 70km of material that could take a multi-gigaton shaped warhead literally without a scratch. Although the gun it self has massively variable firepower.

Killy is also massively superhuman.
>>
>>46262134
>I've never read BLAME
Fix that; it's worth the time.
>>
File: biomega_c015p11.jpg (123KB, 728x1092px) Image search: [Google]
biomega_c015p11.jpg
123KB, 728x1092px
>>46262180

I would second this, both Blame! and biomega are hugely underrated sci-fi.
>>
>>46262134

The entire series has plenty of tech that has crossed the "significantly advanced technology" line. Killy's graviton beam emitter is an anomaly even compared to the other GBE in the series. But generally speaking, it is best just not to think about it. But it is shown pretty regularly to, depending upon the settings, have recoil that throws him arms back, to shattering his arm into pieces and throwing him several yards back.
>>
File: magic rifle.jpg (61KB, 900x454px) Image search: [Google]
magic rifle.jpg
61KB, 900x454px
OP here and i would like to thank everyone for the help. I will probably make another thread sometime soon based around everyday tech and things of that nature and maybe augmentations. Either way this has been a big help.
>>46259988
Also you could have a brand for reenactments or call the old west one that. Here is some art to go along with it too.
>>
File: 49.jpg (201KB, 736x967px) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
201KB, 736x967px
>>46262347

Honestly, I think it would be better to just have a general sci-fi ideas thread rather then limit it. But maybe I'm wrong.

I would be down for an augmentation/cyborg thread though.
>>
>>46259988
sounds like Jakobs, Hyperion, Maliwan if the didn't do elements, and Torgue
>>
File: thugged_out_MINE.jpg (132KB, 900x1169px) Image search: [Google]
thugged_out_MINE.jpg
132KB, 900x1169px
>helmet guns

Stick a nuclear flame-thrower in your helmet.
>>
>>46256358

Never tried writing for space opera before, but I do love me some weaponised chemistry.

>Tert-Butyllithium Rounds (Bloodburner):
A favoured ammunition type of mercenaries on third world or semi-uninhabited planets. The Tert-Butyllithium (pronounced “Tertiary Beu-tea-lith-i-umm”) round is also called the “Bloodburner” and is a type of hollow point round, wherein the hollow chamber of the slug contains a small amount of chemically synthesised (CH3)3CLi. On impact with the target, the round ‘flowers’ digging deep into the targets flesh and exposing the Tert-Butyllithium to the atmosphere, causing it to spontaneously combust. Due to the fact that the flames of the round cauterise the flesh and arteries, highly advanced surgery is required to remove the already fragmented hollow point from the target. If left unattended however, the internal wound cauterisation will almost certainly lead to lethal infection.

>Mercury (II) Thiocyanate Rounds (Lich Round):
Mercury (II) Thiocyanate Rounds (also known as “Lich”) are a high calibre variant of the aforementioned Tert-Butyllithium round. In a Lich Round a large deposit of Mercury (II) Thiocyanate paste is found behind the Tert-Butyllithium chamber, and uses the flames of the Bloodburner as a delivery catalyst for the much deadlier Lich round. When the chemical Mercury (II) Thiocyanate is exposed to heat and flames, it grows into a sulphur compound which has the appearance of a fungus. This ‘fungus’ expands to fill all available space in the victim (namely internal organs and arteries) and emits a number of highly toxic by-products, including Mercury II sulphide, Carbon Nitride and Carbon Disulphide.
>>
>>46262953
>Beu-tea-lith-i-umm
Who the fuck taught you how to pronounce butyllithium?
>>
>>46262953

Good shit anon.
>>
File: lrad_specs1.jpg (116KB, 750x382px) Image search: [Google]
lrad_specs1.jpg
116KB, 750x382px
I have an idea.
Oh wait it already exists and I really want one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMyY3_dmrM
you can hook up any mp3 playing device you like to it
Why do non lethal weapons give me such boners.
>>
>>46263021
So if you're really sadistic, you could use it to play Oppa Gangnam Style?
>>
>>46256358
I read a sci-fi before that have guns that shoots nanites. They enter the body and can cause death or take the victim down non-lethally. Decent for law-enforcement, I guess.

If nanites get this advance in the future though warfare will revolve around remote military nanites that transmit though air and vacuum, doing surveillance, destroying equipment and killing.
>>
Really underused weapon is a simple one. RKV, relavtivistic kill vehicle. Put an engine on a massive thing, accelerate to a fraction of light speed, enjoy fireworks.
>>
File: 06_(1).jpg (339KB, 1280x815px) Image search: [Google]
06_(1).jpg
339KB, 1280x815px
>>46260121
That seems to be one fine collection of images.
Cheers man

>>46258337
>>46258423
>>46258508
>>46258555
My fellow Nihei niggers

>>46256358
I do like the concept of the Nano Rifle in Red Faction Gorilla.
A rifle that has a Nanoforge built in that builds it's ammo over time (could of course leave that out, doesn't actually work like this in the game because balancing probably).
And when the Bullet hits a target it unleashes a nanoswarm that disassembles whatever was hit to some degree.
You also have some design space with the kind of nanites that get shot. Make them active for a longer time sowing more chaos, or even allow them to reproduce. But taking away a deadswitch from them would be a bad fucking idea.
also what >>46263080 says

And finally, have a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GOZjjO4pcA
>>
File: c10_11.jpg (200KB, 1456x1106px) Image search: [Google]
c10_11.jpg
200KB, 1456x1106px
>>46263093

I do always love the uber-powerful plain kinetic weapon.
>>
>>46259988
You just described the manufacturers in Borderlands
>>
>>46263215
He's missing Tediore and S&S.
>>
You know what you could do? Analyze the implications of a society trying to protect itself against suicide bombers who use destabilized FTL/warp drives instead of ieds.

The energy needed to punch past light speed would be so absurdly large that if you were to destabilize/accelerate the reaction, it would probably vaporize a whole star system.

Imagine trying to run an interstellar economy if every citizen who owns a spacecraft had the potential to destroy whole civilizations by doing the equivalent of tossing a lit matchstick down the gas tank.
>>
>>46263272

They'd likely have VERY strict control on who can own them for that very reason.
>>
>>46263272
OP here in the setting all ships that can go fast as light are heavily controlled by AI and the people on board such ships are heavily controlled. What you just described was space 9/11 it happened and now it doesn't (hopefully) and yes im a tad boozed up
>>
>>46263272
Isn't that a plot point for two (or more) Halo games?
>>
>>46263035
Leaving people in pain by burning their ears with the same song they spent months mindlessly playing over and over again because everyone told them it was funny would be nice.
>>
>>46263302
They detonate the reactors, but it's not the same, since only high-powered military craft have such devices. The insurgents in Halo just use stolen nukes to carry out acts of terrorism
>>
>>46263272
Most settings have counter-rules for that sort of thing, like FTL not working near a gravity well, or FTL shunting the ship into a different dimension for its duration where there's nothing to crash into.

Honestly, unless exploring the ramifications of FTL travel is the point of your story, you might as well ignore them. You'll just raise more questions than you answer, otherwise.
>>
>>46263296
It would be even safer (and more efficient in the long run) for the government to restrict FTL use to heavily regulated and secured mass-transit stations. Cowboy Bebop style. Absolutely 0 private FTL drives allowed, TRUE citizens immediately report any and all observances of such to the proper authorities
>>
File: 5j.jpg (99KB, 728x1017px) Image search: [Google]
5j.jpg
99KB, 728x1017px
On the topic of nihei, chainsaw hands
>>
>>46258239

>body mod that replaces skin with resilient armor, requires lifetime of drugs for homeostasis

eh still kinda useful for career soldiers but thats about it
>>
I've always liked the idea of memetic weapons. First saw the idea on some thread like this years ago and fel in love straight away.

The sort of horror movie concept of some image, sound (or infrasound) or other piece of subliminal signal that rewrites neural pathways to do ... something in the enemy population's brain.
Maybe it's just a propaganda device, making them more likely to listen to you but I prefer the idea of it inducing death or a complete psychotic breakdown - just by playing a certain tune over the battlefield or releasing an odd video onto their civilian internet you trigger some apocalyptic outbreak of violent insanity.
Or maybe it's even more sophisticated - the signal subliminally brainwashes susceptible people exposed to it turning them into unknowing sleeper agents. Maybe they're then triggered by another signal or just a predetermined event - perhaps they hear the national anthem sung by a child and suddenly they attempt to assassinate the president - or maybe the signal creates a dissociative identity - their mind wanders at work and before they know it they've shut down the air defense grid or uploaded the nuclear launch codes to youtube. God help you if the president himself is one of the people with a psychological susceptibility to the subliminal code.
Also good for some pseudoscientific superweapon for a tyrant government to control their own population.

It's something different to the typical 'this gun blows things up really good' and I love the idea that just as engineering and physics advanced, so too did neuropsychiatry and psychology, and of course they were weaponised as well.
>>
Could you weaponize a circular particle accelerator for a circle shaped ship? What other weapons could you utilize a circle-shaped ship for?
>>
I always liked the idea of Abstract Weapon, from Ra by Sam Hughes.
>>
>>46263347
All of those workarounds sound more convoluted than just telling the players "the FTL is limited due to limitations on the technology and regulations put in place to stop people from Allahu Akbar'ing an entire planet at once"

Plus it's an easy way to introduce the local smugglers/organized crime factions -- just hunt down the illegal drives
>>
>>46263427

Pretty sure some novel series has a memetic virus which wrecks civilizations, it is a very neat idea.
>>
>>46263427
>memetic weapons
>pull trigger
>AYYY LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>cuckcuckcuckcuckcuckcuckcucktbqhfam
>enemies heads explode
>>
>>46256358
I've made a lot of stupid ideas, so listen to me and you'll find something valuable.

>A muzzle-loading pistol with a refined trigger system for high-load rounds, with an arm brace included.

>Belt-fed rifle that bridges the MG and assault rifle. Usually issued to squad leaders.

>Missiles with shrapnel to counter very mobile jets. Usually fired in packs.
>>
>>46263433
First, most particle accelerators aren't perfect circles. The main loop may be a circle, but the complex includes a whole bunch of primary loops and other assemblies that ruin that geometry. Hell, the LHC looks more like a deformed figure 8 than anything else.

Disk-shaped ships would be very good at heat transfer -- so long as the disk is thin and the radius large, the massive SA to V ratio allows for maximized rates of heat transfer away from those big fucking engines that are powering the craft. Park yourself on the night side of a planet and go as fast as you like without worrying about cooking the crew or the machinery
>>
>My mechs use graviton quantum quarks as propulsion, channeled through an ion-destabilised m-brane curve for maximum efficiency
>My soldiers use boson-electron fields to protect themselves from incoming sub-relative plasma shunts
>My guns ding-dong the shoop-a-doop to produce a solid beam of jabba-wabba that can penetrate solid shlorp up to 200 gaggles thick
>My ships have herpa derpa drives that allow them to travel at speeds up to 10 billion megaderps per second, and furthermore

Oh my god nobody fucking cares about the minutiae of your fictional spaceman technology.
>>
File: m328_smgl_by_bonez18b.jpg (270KB, 972x761px) Image search: [Google]
m328_smgl_by_bonez18b.jpg
270KB, 972x761px
>>46263455

>Belt-fed rifle that bridges the MG and assault rifle. Usually issued to squad leaders.

Make it a metal storm type weapon, a large number of bullets stacked in multiple barrels. 900 round 'barrel pods' with 10000 rounds per minute. Huge firepower but suffers in accuracy, could make up for that with guided bullets. Pick related is an example of a grenade launcher weapon of this type.

>Missiles with shrapnel to counter very mobile jets. Usually fired in packs.

Smart-shrapnel, instead of generic shrapnel the inside of the warhead is lined with touch armour-shredding guided pellets which intelligently seek out weakpoints.
>>
File: 1449621036200.jpg (64KB, 599x546px) Image search: [Google]
1449621036200.jpg
64KB, 599x546px
>>46263482

there is no need to be upset
>>
Personally, I prefer sticking with kinetic weapon. Coil guns if I feel charitable, particularly sniper rifles.

Self-propelled small missiles with various loadouts - armour-piercing slug, high explosive or shrapnel, toxic gas or special circuitry to implant and mess with electronics.

Plus some considerations for guns used in space, such as caseless ammunition, so at least casing doesn't fly through your spaceship, and if possible, recoiless gun.

My personal fetish is instead of iron sight, or scope or whatever attaching small flatscreen to the side of the gun and use it for targeting. Which is probably terribly inconvenient to actually use, but I don't care.
>>
>>46260121
>that album
Thank you based anon
>>
>>46263486
Nothing that special, actually. The Metal Storm idea was considered, but ultimately left alone. Metal Storm is good for area denial, but that's the only thing it can do, aside from putting bullets downrange faster than you can humanly do, and missile spam. Your second idea is honestly not bad, workable. I like it. Except for the guided part.
>>
Warp Field Projectors

They need a shitload of energy to work, and aren't very big, but they can break down anything in its way very quickly by basically taking whatever area it's shooting at and sending it to some place very far away.

Working off of another sort of tech

Phase Shift Exoskeletons

Basically an upsized suit of hardened power armor, it is rigged with a miniature warp drive and intricate nav computers, allowing it to bypass any physical defenses and jump in wherever the user wants, potentially causing havoc as hardsuits warp into the middle of command headquarters, armories and engineering. The only practical defenses are staying out of range, or deploying one's own Phase Shift Exos to intercept anything coming up in warp.
>>
>>46263519

I was mostly thinking about a super-high tech version of the original ideas, I don't see anything wrong with a sufficiently advanced faction making there shrapnel guided. If you take away the guided part you just have the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewaCdSW4yc

I have a bit of a fetish for stacked munition launchers despite there general silliness, I was really just thinking of this gun from crisis 3:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DB5CgTcX1U
>>
File: joseph-cross-jc-suros-rl-sm.jpg (514KB, 1584x868px) Image search: [Google]
joseph-cross-jc-suros-rl-sm.jpg
514KB, 1584x868px
>>46259988
Omolon, Suros, Häkke 4 lyfe

god im pumped for Destiny 2. please ditch last gen and show us the MAGIC
>>
>>46263492
It is when you've seen so many promising sci-fi and fantasy stories drown in their own piss because they thought laying out every pointless detail about the mechanics of their fictional world was more important than just telling a compelling and dramatic story about actual fucking characters.

If a setting detail doesn't affect the main character's goals, or their struggles to achieve those goals, then it's fucking irrelevant and should not be brought up.
>>
>>46263551
I want a haunted ship story.
IN SPACE.

Seriously, these are the bests.
>>
>>46263551
OK champ
>>
>>46263537
To make shrapnel guided would be pointless. To be frank, that honestly contradicts how shrapnel functions.

For me, stacked munitions aren't the future for personal weapons. Too logistics intensive, and only for defensive use, which means it won't fit with most military doctrine. The recoil itself would probably make aiming at best, marginally helpful and at worst, pointless.
>>
>>46263551

>If a setting detail doesn't affect the main character's goals, or their struggles to achieve those goals, then it's fucking irrelevant and should not be brought up.

Mr no fun allowed over here, ever though that some people just like worldbuilding and talking about this kind of stuff? so what if some shit-tier writers fuck up there stories in some way, don't shit up random threads.
>>
>>46263486
>HEDP
>thermobaric

Did someone just suggest thermobarics for anti-armor work?
>>
>>46263572
What'sa thermobaric?
>>
>>46263566

Your not thinking far-future enough, metal storm type weapons could shred armour plating to tough for regular combustion guns while still not being overkill for weaker targets and thus be useful as specially weapons handled by power-armoured troops.

Guided sub-munitions could ensure that the maximum number of kinetic force is directed at the opponents aircraft, useful if your setting has shields that need to be overwhelmed or crazy good material science and redundant systems.
>>
>>46263560
Dead Space 1 and 2 were great
>>
>>46263590
>Your not thinking
Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>46263594
Yeah, but they were aliens. I want ghosts in space.
Like Event Horizon, but good.

And Dead Space relies too much on jumpscares and is too much of a shooter.
>>
>>46263584
Imagine a bomb.

This bomb explodes into fire, except instead of normal fire it's incredibly hot fire. More specifically, it explodes into a cloud of "fuel", which is then ignited, hence the other name "fuel air bombs".
>>
>>46263599

calm down
>>
>>46263603
>imagine a bomb
>it's like fire, except it's hot fire
So it's white napalm? Like in that Spec Ops game?
>>
>>46263611
No, it's like fuel spread through the air and then ignite your entire air and it's way more efficient due to better surface contact.

And I think it implodes after all this, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>46263611

Big blast wave - fucks up lungs. It uses the oxygen in the surrounding area as a mechanism to kill. Very powerful against buildings, tunnels ect.
>>
>>46263619
>>46263624
So basically, instead of projecting fuel and burning the dummy from the front, it ignites the entire area?

Sounds pretty powerful.
>>
>>46263272
I'd imagine if we tried to go for realism that technology would never be developed the instant somebody figures out it can destroy solar systems. Also anyone that tries to develop such technology would get an instant death penalty.
>>
>>46263601
>Like Event Horizon, but good.
>implying Event Horizon was bad
>>
>>46263631
Sort of forgot to mention in the initial description that the explosion is also incredibly powerful due to the amount of extra explosive you can pack in because you aren't concerned with having an oxidizer; the air is the oxidizer.

So everything catches fire shortly before blowing the fuck up more than it ever thought it could blow the fuck up.
>>
>>46263631
Second only to nukes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon
>>
>>46263648
But it was, Anon. They dropped the "what-the-fuck-is-going-on" awesome atmosphere very quickly and started venturing into "tihihihi we have no imagination so let's overuse gore".
The best horror movies are the one that don't show much violence but instead engraves in your mind and come back once you turn the light off.
>>
>>46263659
It maybe is not what it could have been, but it is not really bad either imo.
>>
>>46263584
It's an explosive that uses the oxygen in the surrounding air to work. You spread a fine mist of a highly flammable liquid or so into the air, and ignite it, making it combust explosively.

ON the plus side, this means you only need about half of the explosive in the shell (the rest being the oxygen in the air), so you get a lot of bang for your weight and volume. They also produce a lot of blast wave, good for blasting shit to hell. The downside is that you get a very spread out effect, instead of the highly focused blast required to deal with armor.
>>
>>46263655
>>46263658
Holy cow.
I was better not knowing what that thing is.

>>46263665
>imo
>>
>>46263645
I would buy that argument if it were not for the fact that the Manhatten Project was an officially sponsored government project -- and at the time, there was serious debate over whether or not detonating even a single nuke would destroy the earth permanently by igniting the atmosphere and stuff.

Or the entire concept of a nuclear power plant.

No matter how impossibly destructive a technology may be, people will try and harness it and restrict it for (relatively) safe, and productive use. The higher the risk, the higher the reward.
>>
>>46263667
If the oxygen in the air reacts to the thermobaric bullet, does that mean that you burn instantly, giving that you breathe oxygen and have it all over in your body?

I REALLY was better not knowing about it.
>>
>>46263674
Thermobarics aren't about burning things, they're all about the shockwave.
>>
>>46263668
>I was better not knowing what that thing is.
If the shockwave doesn't kill you, the horrific burning will. If you somehow survive that, and managed to inhale some fuel before it combusts, you're probably going to die of ether poisoning.
>>
>>46263679
So what happens if you're in the middle of the area? You get blown up or you explode?
>>
>>46263685
>The [blast] kill mechanism against living targets is unique–and unpleasant.... What kills is the pressure wave, and more importantly, the subsequent rarefaction [vacuum], which ruptures the lungs.... If the fuel deflagrates but does not detonate, victims will be severely burned and will probably also inhale the burning fuel. Since the most common FAE fuels, ethylene oxide and propylene oxide, are highly toxic, undetonated FAE should prove as lethal to personnel caught within the cloud as most chemical agents.
>>
>>46263685
>You get blown up or you explode?
[facepalm.jpg]
You get blown up or you burn to a crisp?
>>
>>46263668
It being bad is also not a quantifyable fact and thus your opinion, so what?
>>
>>46263691
>"the effect of an FAE explosion within confined spaces is immense. Those near the ignition point are obliterated. Those at the fringe are likely to suffer many internal, and thus invisible injuries, including burst eardrums and crushed inner ear organs, severe concussions, ruptured lungs and internal organs, and possibly blindness."
>"shock and pressure waves cause minimal damage to brain tissue…it is possible that victims of FAEs are not rendered unconscious by the blast, but instead suffer for several seconds or minutes while they suffocate."

Both posts from the wikipedia article.
>>
>>46263631
It goes bang like a regular explosive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05X5V9Bfs94
https://youtu.be/EiT7M3YwyU4?t=1m

Like any explosive, how powerful it is ultimate depend on how much you use. But by getting the air involved, they end to get a bit mroe energy per kg.
>>
>>46263697
I gave arguments explaining why it was objectively shit.
You just answered "WELL NUH, IN MY OPINION IT'S COOL THEREFORE MYH RIGHT".
So yeah, I'm done wasting my time with you.

>>46263700
Sounds potentially extremely powerful.
>>
>>46263706
It's got a 6.7 on IMDB, ergo it is not bad, it is merely mediocre.
>>
>>46263706
>Objectively shit
I totally agree that it is not as good as it could have been. But just wasting it's potential does not make it completely bad. It still is enjoyable. Not only for me but for other people as well.
You don't have a monopoly on what is "Objectively shit" since, again, it is not really quantifyable.
Just say you don't like the film, instead of going "Waaahhh the film is shit deal wif it".
It isn't good or bad, it is subjective.
So yeah, I'm done wasting my time with you.
>>
>>46263674
No. It's like any other fire. The fuel and oxygen react with each other. The reaction won't just magically make any other oxygen in the vicinity start reacting in ways it normally wouldn't, though the heat generated can ignite other fires, although the short duration makes this unlikely for anything but the most flammable of things.

>>46263685
Just as if you where standing in the middle of a gunpowder storage shed when it exploded, you may get some flash burns from the heat, but this will be of negligible concern since you've just got smashed to paste by the blastwave.
>>
>>46263731
>smashed to paste
Great, now I imagining myself looking like that custard from the teletubbies.
>>
File: Uses for a Gun.jpg (789KB, 1102x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Uses for a Gun.jpg
789KB, 1102x1500px
>>46256358
Here's some of Shirow's near-future designs.
>>
>>46262134
In practice, laboratories have found that if you have a laser big enough to be considered an anti-personnel weapon, it does have recoil of a sort. Some of the energy is expended on micro-particles in the air along the path of the beam, and the energy released into these heats them, as well as the surrounding air causing it to expand in such a way that close to the emitter or barrel the weapon is pushed back against the person firing it. So while it's not technically kinetic recoil, the weapon does kick back against the user.
>>
>>46263850
But a laser is 100% energy, and only matter can cause recoil.
>>
>>46263867
True, and as I said, it's not really recoil at all. Basically, the laser is hitting dust just outside the barrel tip, dumping energy into it and heating the air, which expands and forces the barrel back. So technically it could be called kick instead of recoil, but looking at it from the side it certainly looks like the weapon is recoiling.
>>
>>46263893
I get it.
>>
>>46263867
>implying
E(photon)=pc, E=hf, p=hf/c. Applying conservation of momentum, the recoil momentum p=mv must be the same as the total momentum of all photons expelled by the laser. Therefore mv=Nhf/c, where N is the number of photons expelled.
>>
>>46263901
Yeo. It's pretty cool. There are actually floodlights and spotlights you can hold in your hand that are so powerful, when you turn them on they are forced back in your hand by the same heating of the air. It's not particularly strong, but it is noticeable and can be felt.
>>
>>46263867
>and only matter can cause recoil.

Einstein begs to differ. Massless particles still have momentum, |p|=h/λ, and as such will produce a non-zero recoil. You'll need some pretty damn sensitive equipment to measure it though.
>>
>>46263939
>Massless particles still have momentum
But that's impossible. Unless it's dust pushed by the light, they shouldn't have mass. Mass and energy can't be combined.

Like heat, heat doesn't have any mass.
>>
>>46263990
Momentum does not require rest mass.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/relmom.html#c2

>Mass and energy can't be combined.
What are you, stupid? What do you think kinetic energy is? How about elastic potential energy?
>>
>>46263990
because heat isn't a particle, it's the wobblyness of molecules.

photons have momentum due to their energy, it's a proven fact. there's even calculations online to show how much chicago weigh during the day and during the night and the difference is 300lb.

http://tehgeektive.com/2012/10/10/when-the-sun-is-up-the-city-of-chicago-weighs-300lbs-more/
>>
>>46263990

>he doesn't understand quantum mechanics

How do you think lightsails work, anon?
>>
>>46264007
>>46263990
>Like heat, heat doesn't have any mass.
Oh, and heat isn't actually its own form of energy, it's just kinetic energy.
>>
>>46264007
You can't store energy in a mass.
The kinetic energy is around the mass, and a reaction to it.

>>46264015
You're going way over my head. I'll just take a backseat now.
>>
>>46264023

>You can't store energy in a mass.

Mass literally is energy.
>>
>>46264023
>You can't store energy in a mass.
This is literally how springs and rubber bands work you moron.

If you have no understanding of physics, why are you posting about it?
>>
>>46264032
>no arguments
>resorts to name calling
I guess you hit the limit of your knowledge. Don't be mad, it happens to everyone. Especially you.
>>
>>46263990
Recoil isn't a matter of mass, recoil is a matter of momentum.

>Like heat, heat doesn't have any mass.

A photon doesn't have any mass at rest, but E=mc^2 means m = E/c^2, so have fun trying to get a zero relativistic mass for anything with a non-zero energy.
>>
>>46264039
dude, not that guy but the fucking definition of energy is E=mc2, there's literally MASS taken into account of energy.

fuck, where do you think the fusion/fission energy comes from ?

you take two atom that weigh a lot and you make one that weigh less than the two combined, and the missing mass is energy (more or less). this is high school physics.
>>
>>46264057
You don't even need to get nuclear. Springs and elastics are a store of potential energy when deformed, and chemical fuels technically store energy in the form of the molecules' bonds.
>>
>>46264057
YEAH WELL IN MY HIGH SCHOOL WE JUST STUDIED ACIDS AND BASALS ALONG WITH ELECTRICITY
>>
>>46263671
The Manhatten Project only existed out of the spine chilling fear that the enemy would develop a nuke first, and the idea that a nuke could ignite the atmosphere was only ignored because if that were to happen the enemy would end up destroying the Earth anyways testing THEIR nuke.
>>
>>46263939
dust isn't a massless particle dumdum
>>
>>46264081
>Manhatten
Manhattan, mate.
>>
>>46263939
>You'll need some pretty damn sensitive equipment to measure it though
We can use my dick, it's extremely sensitive.
>>
>>46264109
But photons are.
>>
>>46264109
So lasers shoot streams of dust now, and not photons?
>>
>>46263936
then how come we aren't using light-based jetpacks already???

nice bait
>>
>>46264136
>>46264146
I thought the consensus was that photons have mass?
>>
>>46264155
Do you fancy wearing a nuclear power plant to power the thing?
>>
>>46264168
Photons have momentum, which implies a mobile mass, but no rest mass. Incidentally, that means that if a photons were to stop it would no longer exist.
>>
>>46264174
just use LED lights m8 less power draw
>>
>>46264185
So, if I built a set of scales sensitive enough to measure the "press" of photons against it, and turned it on in a brightly lit room / outdoors and then covered it so it was in darkness, it would measure a negative weight?
>>
>>46264192
Do you fancy wearing a nuclear power plant to power the thing?
>>
>>46259270
You mean like the actual projectile itself? Nah, anon, that's fuckin' crazy talk.
>>
>>46263923

I did the maths. According to Project Rho, a typical energy output for a laser sidearm is around 1kJ. Assuming a wavelength of 690nm (a ruby laser, visible light) the total recoil force would be 3.33 micronewtons. For reference, this is on the order of magnitude of the force an electron exerts on a nucleus. I.e., negligible to humans.
>>
>>46264197
Not unless you zeroed it in the lit room first. Then it would apply a -N correction to all mass read, where N is the mass corresponding to the radiation pressure of the light.
>>
>>46264198
they have wireless power now

you'd probably need to have a mobile power supply nearby that can track your movement so it stays aimed right
>>
>>46264211
Is there a pulse time for that 1kJ you're not telling us about?

>For reference, this is on the order of magnitude of the force an electron exerts on a nucleus. I.e., negligible to humans.

The nuclei-electron interactions are that strong? Gravity really is a pussy.
>>
>>46264301
Gravity is way weaker than the Strong Force iirc. It is the weakest of the fundamental forces, but it also is the one that has the furthest reach. At least that is how I recall it, might be wrong
>>
>>46264338
>Gravity is way weaker than the Strong Force iirc

Though it's electromagnetism that govern electron-nuclei interactions. The strong force is between quarks.

>It is the weakest of the fundamental forces, but it also is the one that has the furthest reach. At least that is how I recall it, might be wrong

It's correct.
>>
>>46264338
Correct
>>
>>46264301

Total time for the energy delivery is around 0.005s. The calculations I used assumed an instantaneous delivery of all momentum; spreading the momentum transfer out over time would reduce the force felt.

As a better reference, one Newton is about the force required to depress a key on your keyboard. The photon recoil is one-hundred-thousandth of that force.

At that level, the dust/air interactions with the laser beam would be the dominant "recoil" force.
>>
>>46264404
>The calculations I used assumed an instantaneous delivery of all momentum

Shouldn't the force felt go towards infinity as the delivery time goes towards zero? P/t=F
>>
Futuristic firearms are shit.
Lightsabers are awesome.
>>
>>46265843
>Futuristic firearms are awesome.
>Lightsabers are shit.
FTFY
>>
>>46256358

Pirates using biological weapons:
- modified flu virus
- tailored to become contagious after a period
- secretly inflicted to a crewman on a ship

(result: mostly dead crew on board ghost ships alone in space for the plundering)
>>
>>46256358
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunexotic.php

I think you may like this site, OP..

On the subject, does anyone have similar sites?
>>
>>46263269
>Tediore
The boring one nobody likes?
>S&S
The one that had so little distinct personality as a company that they didn't even make it into the sequels?
>>
>>46263541
I just hope we actually get the whole game this time around.
I'm gonna give them a chance with 2, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
>>
File: Casaba Howitzer.jpg (229KB, 1649x924px) Image search: [Google]
Casaba Howitzer.jpg
229KB, 1649x924px
CASABA
HOWITZERS
>>
>>46263427
>I've always liked the idea of memetic weapons.
>
Also good for some pseudoscientific superweapon (snip)

It's not entirely pseudoscience when there's a working proof of concept, though it's mechanism is not understood.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm8ZoVQ_OJo
>>
>>46268207
Speaking of memetic weapons, what about antimemes? Besides the obvious application of making someone into an un-person, and erasing anything from conscious history, what other applications would it have?
>>
File: 1330065805441.jpg (378KB, 1754x1488px) Image search: [Google]
1330065805441.jpg
378KB, 1754x1488px
>>46263021
Because to get a non-lethal weapon, you have to get REALLY creative.
>>
>>46263021
Anarchist shits B T F O
>>
File: nicholsdyson.jpg (85KB, 922x631px) Image search: [Google]
nicholsdyson.jpg
85KB, 922x631px
>>46256358
For all your autowar, quadrail musket, shoulder laser, marrowbone armor, chem amps, warchive, ultimate muscle, nanobar and weaponized dyson swarm needs:

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-topic/45b6caa75cbe4

>Dusters are particle spraying weapons. They evolved later than Squirts did, but filled an excellent niche by becoming a close range crowd suppression system. Dusters work two ways: Stream or Spray. Because they use dry particulate matter, projected by one of three ways: EM acceleration, High Pressure or "Beam riding". They are also an excellent way to use Hylonano. Powdered diamond hard alloys in stream mode are outstanding cutting agents similar to "water saws", sand blasters and grinders.

>Dusters that spray active nanotech can cause severe damage to a target, although this may occur some time after the initial attack. A dusting with viral poison or slow disassemblers can cause fatalities or loss of infrastructure several hours or days afterwards if not treated.
>>
>>46260121
>http://smhtbhfam.imgur.com/
I love you man, with my dick.
>>
File: mindblowing.jpg (14KB, 326x260px) Image search: [Google]
mindblowing.jpg
14KB, 326x260px
>>46268417
What do you mean by 'antimemes'? Ideas that don't spread? Meme counters like faith and loyalty? Toxic memes?

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/45eb17337088f

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/464f1f591ffc1

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/47b2592fc9187

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/47b8fa99e8ced

>To fill a polity with memebots... is like littering the walkways with loaded weapon systems. Do not be surprised if they are used.
>>
>>46269144
Anti-memes as in something that actively hides its own existence or knowledge, similar to a meme in that both spread virulently, but the anti-meme is unable to be recalled or known by those infected by it.

A "self keeping secret" that actively ensures that anyone who knows if it actively forgets it.
>>
>>46256358
Honest to god truth from a engineer and /k/omando?

95% of the ideas you'll find on /tg/ are rule of cool weebecy.

Blades of any sort will not make a comeback. If you're in range of the enemy, you are in their range, multiply this by 50 for every meter you must travel, ignoring the fact that the enemy can move as well.

Second must be considered, is the energy constraints. Nobody is going to use a Deus Ex brand fuckery bullshitter type beta personality type if you need a star grade miniature nuclear fusion reactor to shoot it. This is why Chemical propellants will, to a certain extent, never run out of fashion since chemical reactions are one of the best converters of energy out there, with the biggest limiter being on how strong we can make steel so that it can contain the reaction when shooting.

That being said
>Within the next 30 years, telescoped munitions. Smaller, lighter, more easy to pack into a mag and allows PS90 style mags to be used universally with all rifle types.
>Next 50 after, Gauss Rifles. Rail Guns will remain on ships because the energy to propulsion coefficient isn't as good
>Next 50 after, Gauss will still see extensive use but lasers may enter the scene under special cases
>Until the foreseeable future beyond what is currently theoretical, Mass Effect style Gauss Rifles. They're too energy efficient, poking holes does a better job at killing something than trying to burn one, nuke them with radiation, but them into sashimi with your fedoranov

You will see
>The improvement in the ability for bullets to fragment and/or tumble through flesh
>The widespread usage of armor piercing munitions, things like solid titanium or copper with a hardened tungsten penetrator
>People seem to forget that standard kit on military is 210, telescoped rounds will bring that over 330, a miliary can't afford to make 1000 dollar snowflake bullets and give out a full kit of them
>>
>>46269396
>Explosive rounds will come back into usage with special kits and special forces. Everybody and their dead cat won't be using them because shit explodes. Your armor may be able to survive a grenade 20 feet away, but you won't survive having 300 of them going off near your chest, and if you did, you're SOL and out of ammo
>The usage of biotics to enhance the natural human ability to aim and control recoil. This will see an increase in the power of munitions used since you don't have to worry if your army can fire guns that weigh 30 pounds and have the power of a 12.7x99 if their eyes, nervous system, arms, back and legs are all mechanical.

You will not see biological shit being used when you can simply use nanotechnology and gene therapy to completely close the body off to contaminants.

You will not see retarded guns that fucking fire dust because their lack of mass completely destroys any penetrative qualities they'd have, considering you especially have to ignore how the armor and weapons industry coevolve together, both improving once the other had made a leap.

Go on /k/ and ask actual fucking engineers because when it comes to actual tactics, warfare and the application of theoretical technologies to war, /tg/, on a scale of one to weeb, should go into the bathroom and give themselves a 12 gauge mouthwash.
>>
>>46256886
Why not a thin ribbon of razor sharp metal suspended inside a protective shell shaped like a sword, with only a thin open slot along the 'blade' edge. The protective shell is chocked full of magnetrons dumping massive amounts of microwave radiation into the faraday-cage interior so it all accumulates on the metal ribbon which, like an antenna, collects it all and vents it from the leading edge. With the only exit for all that heat being the thin open slot, you get a sword with a blade of solid heat.
>>
>>46259117

You might find a look through GURPS Ultra-Tech useful - it has the antimatter bullet thing, but it's really quite nice as a general collection of sci-fi weapons technologies and concepts.

Not all-inclusive or anything, but it's got a lot of neat ideas.
>>
>>46256358
>I added Mecha and Star fighters
Really?
I guess you weren't trying to be unique
Good luck with that
>>
>>46274061
Thanks mate.
>>
>>46269270
I only know of this:
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-055
>>
>>46269270
Would'nt that stop itself from spreading, since the best way to ensure that noone remembers it is not spreading itself?
Not the most useful of memes.

>>46269601
The reason people think the future is guns firing dust is the Newtonian equation for kinetic energy:
Ek = (m*v^2)/2
Where Ek is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.
Note that v is squared, m is not. Ek increases much faster if you raise the velocity than if you raise the mass by the same amount.
Ergo, to maximize Ek, maximize velocity, minimize mass.
Dust might be taking it too far, unless you can reach relavistic muzzle velocities.
>>
>>46274061
So you prefer originality over fun? what a sad little man you are.
>>
>>46274778
>Dust might be taking it too far, unless you can reach relavistic muzzle velocities.

In most cases it's taking it way too far regardless.

Air drag goes up much faster than linear with speed. Your super light, super fast bullet will hit the air like it was a brick wall, quickly dispersing its energy as heat.

Drag is also what you have with a bullet going through someone. So if that bullet does manage to hit, it will create a shallow wound. That sucks, because the body keeps most of the important stuff deep inside.

Penetration kills, and penetration into a body is much more about momentum than energy.

But as poor as high energy bullets may be at creating wounds, they're good at making dramatic high speed photographs. And energy sounds really impressive. So that's what the ads have been pushing, and that's what people think is important.
>>
>>46274930
Looking at it that way...the most effective strategy would be to minimize drag to maximize penetration.
The equation for Drag is
Fd = (p*v^2*Cd*A)/2
Where
Fd is drag
p is density of the fluid our projectile is going through
v is velocity
Cd is drag coefficent
A is area
Drag is a force, which inflicts an deceleration we want to minimize. The force equation is:
F=ma
or
F/m = a
F is force
m is mass
a is acceleration. Or deceleration.
To minimize drag induced deceleration, minimize area, drag coefficent, velocity and density, maximize mass.
We can't really control density under most circumstances, but we can control everything else.
Obviously, the most optimal projectile is a Neutronium Cannonball: A teardrop of neutronium, moving at walking speed.
Equally obviously, this is kinda stupid as an actual weapon. But it does show-as you were saying-that emphasizing velocity over mass is not the best strategy either.
Thread posts: 206
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.