[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Legend of /TG/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 15

File: image.jpg (222KB, 900x1164px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
222KB, 900x1164px
While I don't necessarily want to run a game that is all dungeons all the time, does anyone have any advice for running a Legend of Zelda or similar style adventure campaign? I'm thinking I should start small, but I worry that if I don't have enough history and such already mapped out I might run into problems...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>46254987

I think there was a Legend of Zelda homebrew system here on /tg/ that wasn't ever quite finished, but in terms of general advice irrelevant of systems being used, take a page more out of Hyrule Warriors than trying to 1 to 1 replicate the style of traditional Zelda games

Puzzles usually don't work in tabletop format either because your players don't have forever to figure them out in their own time, you have a session to run (and vocal puzzles are nowhere near as good as visual puzzles)

The format of needing to collect the three _____s and the seven ______s is still pretty workable for any tabletop RPG adventure, though, but remember that it can take mutliple sessions to clear a single dungeon, so try to pare down the numbers of macguffins you need to collect to 'enough to give the players enough dungeons/content to enjoy, and not enough that the campaign will never end or that the players get sick of the scenario'.
>>
>>46254987

Don't worry so much about history, Zelda has always been about the characters and locations more than the history of the places and characters themselves.

Try to think up interesting and weird new characters like you tend to see in Zelda, as well as fantastical sorts of locations like the goron villages.
>>
File: animal village.jpg (673KB, 1453x810px) Image search: [Google]
animal village.jpg
673KB, 1453x810px
>>46255332
Thanks. Any advice on how to handle world building?
>>
File: bridge.jpg (3MB, 2000x1228px) Image search: [Google]
bridge.jpg
3MB, 2000x1228px
Posting cute and comfy stuff.
>>
>>46255874

Keep it simple. Zelda has always taken very simple premises for towns and dungeons. What is Clock Town? It's a town with a giant fucking clocktower in its center. Kakariko village? It's just a generic village. Goron village on Death Mountain? It's just rocks, rocks everywhere, everything is rocks.
>>
File: forest village.jpg (3MB, 1986x1181px) Image search: [Google]
forest village.jpg
3MB, 1986x1181px
>>46255976
Don't you need more for a /tg/ setting, though?
>>
File: canopy village.jpg (2MB, 1800x900px) Image search: [Google]
canopy village.jpg
2MB, 1800x900px
>>
File: laketown.jpg (290KB, 1025x609px) Image search: [Google]
laketown.jpg
290KB, 1025x609px
>>
File: magic shop.jpg (2MB, 1639x1156px) Image search: [Google]
magic shop.jpg
2MB, 1639x1156px
>>
File: white city.jpg (573KB, 1100x672px) Image search: [Google]
white city.jpg
573KB, 1100x672px
>>
File: Meridia small.png (462KB, 1200x1198px) Image search: [Google]
Meridia small.png
462KB, 1200x1198px
Have fun with the map

Come up with a central theme and build the setting around it

Remember that 95% of NPCs should be at least a little off-putting, and even the remainder might say or do something a little strange once in a while
>>
File: image.gif (310KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
310KB, 500x259px
>>46256691
Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!
>>
This was a fun system. The author should do more.
>>
>>46254987
Here you go. Will post Master Guide next, with the closest thing I ever came to a finished MM.
>>
>>46257840
>>
>>46257919
I actually despise this one. Need to redo completely from the ground up. Just man up and make the damn monster stat blocks instead of pussyfooting around and putting down modifications to base monsters.

Any questions OP?
>>
File: Beanstalk sheet.png (157KB, 1205x931px) Image search: [Google]
Beanstalk sheet.png
157KB, 1205x931px
One of the main themes of LoZ seems to be that a period of peace is suddenly interrupted by the onslaught of monsters who appear seemingly out of nowhere. This event often heralds a great evil awakening, returning, or otherwise becoming active.

In one of the test games we ran for >>46257387 the hero Link followed Ganon to this land, but confronted Ganon too early, and the Triforce of Courage was shattered (Link was knocked unconscious, but a fairy who hooked up with Link when he arrived due to Ganon fairynapping their beloved was one of the PCs). The shards spread across the land, embedding themselves in various bosses that were originally small monsters and NPCs that grew to enormous size, gained supernatural power, or other effects, but all had to be defeated to gather all the shards and rebuild the Triforce of Courage. Each of the areas on the map >>46256691 had a dungeon with a boss that had a Triforce splinter stuck in its butt that was making it cranky and/or superpowered.

The Master Sword was also broken into the handle and three shards of the blade, one of which the fairy wielded, but the other three were scattered as well.

I still have a ton of notes from this setting.

Anyone else got ideas for plot setups?
>>
>>46255300
>Legend of Zelda homebrew system here on /tg/ that wasn't ever quite finished,
That's because the dev(s?) did all they could for it and said "we can't call it finished until someone else has tried it and told us what to fix"

The system is entirely functional
>>
>>46254987
What races would be possible to play without some crippling disadvantages?
>>
>>46259188
Zora can breathe under water. No problem there.
Gorons are indestructable... problem.
Deku don't need to eat but take x2 fire damage.
Kokiri don't age and are small but get bardic magic bonuses.
Hyrulians are humans with big ears.
Gerudo are good with swords and dodging.
>>
>>46259188
Terminian, Hylian, Gerudo, Goron, Deku, Sheikah, Subrosian, Korok, Rito

Twili, Kokiri, Zora are iffy
>>
>>46256130
Nah you just need to imply shit.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.