[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /tg/, I come for advice. I want you to help me choose a roleplaying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 11489752._SX540_.jpg (49KB, 540x423px) Image search: [Google]
11489752._SX540_.jpg
49KB, 540x423px
Hi /tg/, I come for advice.

I want you to help me choose a roleplaying system for my campaign. So, it'll be like this:

>low-to-mid-magic fantasy
>set in a big-ass city state
>a massive peoples' revolution just ended
>revolutionaries are genocidal assholes who brainwashed the masses into overthrowing the monarchy
>they rule with an iron fist, all opposition is brutally suppressed, dissidents die by guillotine, but there are still a sizable amount of those who oppose them
>players arrive in the city and become stuck there, until they pick a side and resolve the whole conflict

There will be social stuff, investigations and combat in roughly equal proportion. I'd prefer magic to be useful, but in the sense of "valuable tool, which just makes stuff easier", not renders everything else obsolete (like in D&D where a wizard can just leave an open high-level slot and resolve anything non-combat in 15 minutes). As of lethality/danger, I prefer the "everyone is roughly equal" model, where you need a good plan and preparation to succeed (or survive).

I thought of getting something generic, like Savage Worlds. I don't want to use GURPS, and so do my players, and I personally don't really want to use D&D (maybe 2nd edition with some alteration will do, I heard it's pretty good).

Pic somewhat related. Please help.
>>
GURPS would have been good but, oh well. Savage Worlds, Fantasycraft, even Fate.
>>
>>46252702
>I don't want to use GURPS

>>>/out/
>>
File: amore d'armour.jpg (81KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
amore d'armour.jpg
81KB, 600x399px
>>46252702

Call of Cthulhu might work, Modified Vampire the Dark Ages would also work, but if you're already familiar with Savage Worlds and your group's fine with it probably go with that.
>>
>>46253597
Solo camping is a great way to boost the imagination, you know, you should try it.
>>
File: barbarian plate armor.jpg (1MB, 1085x1500px) Image search: [Google]
barbarian plate armor.jpg
1MB, 1085x1500px
>>46254127

I really don't need to be any camper, dahling.
>>
>>46252702
I like FATE Accelerated (FAE) for low-magic, social-adventure mix.
>>
>>46252801
>>46253597
GURPS is awful. You gurps guys really need to let your little meme die and stop pretending it's a good option for anyone except unwed accountants and store managers.
>>
Burning Wheel if you want a character-focused game instead of a plot-focused one.
>>
>>46252702

>scarlet pimpernel game

mah nigga
>>
File: because your gay.png (145KB, 241x411px) Image search: [Google]
because your gay.png
145KB, 241x411px
>>46254872

GURPS is literally too perfect for our imperfect world of Forever DMs, That Guys and dice filled with 1s.
>>
>>46254872
I'm not a GURPS guy, not everything is a dichotomy. It's just a decent choice for a roleplay focused low fantasy game since it's straightforward and lethal, but leaves enough room for interesting character concepts. Otherwise he should go Savage Worlds. Did GURPS molest you as a kid or something?
>>
>>46255371

the asparagus touched him.
>>
FantasyCraft, or Burning Wheel if you're looking for really indepth characters and are willing to learn a complex system.
>>
>>46255195
>>46256507
Can you please elaborate on the difference? How can there even be a decent plot without decent characters?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.