[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /tg/ i need help, im planning to write a book and id need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 30_07_2.png (351KB, 474x621px) Image search: [Google]
30_07_2.png
351KB, 474x621px
Dear /tg/ i need help,
im planning to write a book and id need your opinion on
how a slavic phalanx would sound like,
and tips on forest warfare using an organised army
>>
>>46218421
And proper Slavic military operation runs on cursing. Gunfire and tanks only accentuate certain phrases, and the enemy serves as a target and catalyst for them, but this is purely backdrop to the litany of obscenities that begins in the barracks and ends in a coffin.
I imagine that would only increase when transported to ye olden days, since without radio communication one often needed to be louder than the battle itself to convey one's meaning.
>>
>>46218510
The slavic-inspired kingdom (Knezdom) here is fighting a constant incursion and raids of tolkien orc like creatures, and have a culture built around that conflict,

the Knez is the autohtarian leader here, who is allso the military commander, below him are Vojvodas (Generals) and Glavars (captains),
each Glavar has a few hundred men under him,
and i'd like to ask how a wall of rogatinas (russian bear hunting spears) would look like in a military scenario
>>
>>46218553
>how a slavic phalanx would sound like,
Like a Scandinavian shield wall, most likely.
Possibly with more archers in support.
>>
>>46218769
Then there's still the subject of forest warfare,where planaxes would not work due to terrain and obstacles

Just Charge in melee and hope for the best?
>>
>>46218421
Think Romans with round shields and with Mongol/Avar cavalry.

>>46218553
You got your hierarchy somewhat righ and somewhat wrong.

The Knez is the hegemon who's usually a Duke or King.

Vojvoda would be a Marquis.

Glavar would be a captain or in some cases a count.

Also Knezdom is wrong as you mix and matched english with slavic there.

It should be Knezevina/Kneževina.

As for warfare among slavs.
They usually did prefer spear-walls + archers with some people being dedicated shield bearers for spear men.
>>
>>46218836
I had in plan for them to have skirmisher cavalry
i know the slavic hirearchy,
i just simplifed it for the reader's sake

its all still worldbuilding and work in progress,
so i appreciate every tip that can help me

But i still need to make a hirearchy of a Sultanate, so far im allmost done doing the family tree(s)
>>
>>46218888
Well making up dynasties is tedious.
Just mix and match some historical characters.
>>
>>46218888
Look up Avar cavalry.
They show all the features of what slavic cavalry was about.
>>
>>46218888
AFAIK Slavs didn't use skirmisher horse pre-Mongol invasion, which seems to be the era you think of.
You can easily change that, of course.

Also, on the subject of forest warfare, or more specifically the logistics of it: a river is your best friend. You use boats in the summer and just walk over ice in the winter. Moving through forest over ground is shit.
>>
>>46218553
You don't do spearwalls with fucking bear spears. You also don't do spearwalls in fucking forests, especially not an eastern european forest. Shit is dense, lots of bushes, lots of low branches, thorns on everything. What you do is you take light cavalry to harass the unfortunate souls who decided to tresspass on your mother soil and draw them into ambushes with archers and some sturdy lads with axes.
In the field, you bring shitloads of light and medium cavalry and pick the shitlords apart before the infantry stomps them into the mud.
>>
>>46218903
Naming is a pain
>>46218921
Good stuff, will implement
>>46218932
They are pseudo-slavs, and its a fatasy book, so i can cut some corners
>>46218951
Makes sense, yes

two more human factions i have to flesh out,
the rich and aristocratic empire and the fanatic sultanate

For the empire i will just Copy-paste late medieval central european military with added fantasy elements
but the sultanate is a bit tricky, so far i got Noble Cataphracts and religious warriors
>>
>>46219006
Well i'd have nothing against painting the pseudo-Muslims as onesidedly evil but some of your players will have disagreeable political opinions and would spreg about it resulting in a stopped game and bad mood.

Just make them like the modern Arabs.
A bunch of nomads got to sit on rich resources in a land that nobody wants to conquer and these resources are traded to the other nations.
Thus got rich on it while still being camel-fuckers.

They trade and wage war like everyone else and try to ignore their own religion when it's convenient for them while enforcing it when it serves their purposes.
>>
>>46219067
The sultanate has a history of slavery under
a Dynasty of naga people a few thousand years ago,
some of theese slaves formed into a rebel force
and crowned the first "Golden Sultan" the supreme leader of the free desert peoples

This day, when the sultanate is strong, the golden sultan status is passed down the firstborn, and a golden mask is made in their image to be worn all the time in public
(the first mask was made of clay and had a yellow rag pressed onto it to simulate gold)

They are not evil, just extremely religious about the river and sun, praised as "givers of life" and merciless against their enemies.

Fanaticism does not allways end up in evil, but they can be hard to reason with on a spiritual level
>>
>>46219110
So you made them into Egyptian-Israelis?
Pretty cool.
>>
>>46219110
Are they going to be iconoclasts? Because arabs covered in byzantine levels of religious symbols and icons would be bitching as fuck.

Please no more excesses of light cavalry. It makes sense but even Conan did it.
>>
>>46218421
The phalanx is totally unsuitable for fighting in rough terrain and wooded areas.

The phalanx is also a fairly primitive strategy as far as warfare is concerned and predates widespread use of heavy cavalry and more effective military archery. If your setting has longbow equivalents, crossbows, knights or offensive magic the phalanx is in all likelihood going to be a terrible idea.

If you want believable worldbuilding you need to start with what resources and circumstances your fantasy slavs have, then figure out what style of warfare makes the most sense, not start backwards by deciding they're going to fight in a phalanx and then just try to shoehorn it in.
>>
>>46219121
Prietty much, im keeping Mosques tho, just rename them into temples of life

>>46219129
Depending on the level of fanticism, some Golden Sultans where genocidal maniacs, but others where tolerance-spreading scholars and builders, it all depends of the ruler

But they got bling
The Sultan's pwersonal war bodyguard is made from the firstborn sons of the extanded royal family, wearing cataphract gear that is gilded and covered in religious symbols
They arent fast or many, but they do pack a punch and an appearance
>>
>>46219141
Isn't the Pike square something similar? Because that was in use when all you mentioned was present on the battlefield.
>>
>>46219500
though the pike square did include musketeers in it and it was to prevent cavalry charges - and the cavalry at this time period was fairly light
>>
>>46219554
>and the cavalry at this time period was fairly light
Not when the Swiss started fucking with the French and the Habsburgs.
>>
>>46219593
whatever it was it was nowhere near the french knights or the cataphracts
>>
>>46219795
Non, but wiki says
>The pike square was used to devastating effect at the Battle of Nancy against Charles the Bold of Burgundy in 1477, when the Swiss defeated a smaller but more powerful armored cavalry force. The battle is generally seen as one of the turning points that established the infantry as the primary fighting arm in European warfare from the 16th century onwards.
>The Burgundian Compagnie d'ordonnance was a formidable combined arms force relying on close cooperation between heavily armored knights, dismounted men-at-arms, a variety of ranged troops including archers and crossbowmen, and an early form of field artillery. It was one of the most feared and most effective ground forces in 15th-century Europe, fresh from its victory over the French in the dynastic conflicts that followed the end of the Hundred Years' War.
>>
>>46219826
seems you are right.
in any case the pike square is just a primitive pike and shot. and whatever happened in that battle i can only see charles the bold as a fool for fighting pikes with cavalry
>>
>>46219500
The pike square became common because it was an effective way of protecting your guns from cavalry, and because at the time, personal armour and skill at arms was lower than it had been. It's a development that makes sense for a specific time and place and technological level, it's not some kind of "rediscovery" of the macedonian phalanx and how it was awesome all along or anything of the sort. There are historical examples of dismounted knights with lances and polearms murderfucking pikemen because they had better armour and training until the handguns became more numerous.

The development of arms and armour is both about technological progress and making things that are superior to what came before, but also a kind of metagame. The best thing is not always what's best in a vacuum or side by side comparison, the best thing is often what's best against what's common at the time, or what's more practical to produce or train for.
>>
>>46220112
Yep, that's well put.
>>46220105
>As a fool.
He was the first to suffer it in his flesh, a trained and well put unit of pikeman. The few guys than he had to figh before were barely trained and probably broke before the heavy cavalry contacted them, he couldn't know it. Hindsight and all.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.