[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you play a powered by apocalypse hunterxhunter game? or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: Hunter_x_Hunter.png (2MB, 1844x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hunter_x_Hunter.png
2MB, 1844x1080px
Would you play a powered by apocalypse hunterxhunter game? or do you think OVA is a better system for the setting?
>>
>>46205675
>>Powered by Apocalypse
>>Animu shit

Yeah no.
>>
>>46205727
why not?
>>
>>46205790
You're not so good at reading context clues, are you?

He's clearly implying both a distaste for anime in general and PbtA games.

As a guy who's a fan of PbtA games and has briefly looked at the Wikipedia page for this show, I personally think it'd be an alright fit. I'd even recommend looking at Monster of the Week for the base system to tweak to fit.

However, I have to say I'd never even HEARD of the OVA rpg until you asked, so I can't give any useful information as to whether PbtA would be better or worse.
>>
>>46205675

Can you provide a quick rundown of Apocolypse and how it works? How would it handle some of the concepts from the show like Nen types and the different skills associated with it.
>>
>>46206123

I'm not OP, but I can explain PbtA pretty simply:

There's three core components to PbtA games:

FIRST, is a very simple challenge resolution mechanic. All rolls are 2d6+relevant modifier. A 6 or lower is a failure, a 7-9 is a conditional success, and a 10 or higher is a full success. DMs are encouraged to use failures and conditional successes in interesting ways that move the story forward.

A roll of a 6 to pick a lock, for instance, instead of simply failing to unlock the door, might prompt the arrival of a guard. He hasn't seen you yet, but you only have a few moments. What do you do? You can choose to attack, pull back and hide, or commit to the pick, and sneak in, but he may notice the door is unlocked.

SECOND, is a sense of character power and uniqueness. Every PbtA game points out that your character is the ONLY person in existence with your EXACT skillset. If you're the Shadow Assassin, for instance, there may be plenty of hired killers or silent infiltrators, but there are no other Shadow Assassins. The power level comes from a couple facets, but it basically boils down to your character being a cut above average. Not Exalted tier, closer to like, level 1 in 4e.

THIRD, Apocalypse games are more...fluid than many games. Many of the games tell the GM to work with the players to determine facts about the environment. Abilities in several games allow the players to ESTABLISH facts. As in, a skilled knowledge roll allows the character to "Remember" that the king is paranoid, and has a fear of poisoning, which the party can then use in their dealing with him. Or a successful Notice Details check "reveals" the monster has a magic collar on, which, if the party can destroy it, may cause it to stop fighting.

Without knowing much about the setting, I can't explain much more, as well as the fact that, of the three PbtA games I have any experience with, they vary wildly enough to be difficult to classify uniformly.
>>
File: ss (2016-03-23 at 02.54.52).png (29KB, 848x387px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-23 at 02.54.52).png
29KB, 848x387px
>>46206123
This is an example of one of the Wizard basic abilities
>>
>>46206655

I did forget/run out of room to address another big component of PbtA games: the concept of "moves".

Essentially, all actions in PbtA games have been summarized into Moves, typically a simple naming of the action in question in a setting-specific manner, and an explanation of the possible results.
Example: in the High-School Supernatural Drama game Monsterhearts, the move for "inflicting physical harm on another person" is "Lashing Out Physically". In the Old School D&D emulating Dungeon World, it's "Hack and Slash". And in the Mad-Max scorched Earth Apocalypse World, it's "Seizing By Force" In the high-powered Wuxia Kill Six Billion Demons, it's called "Shake Heaven" or "Shatter Earth" (There's nuances here I'm jumping over.)

Characters gain class-specific moves, or class specific modifiers for moves instead of skills/feats/class abilities.

An example of the former is >>46206793

An good example of the latter is in Kill Six Billion Demons, where you can fight hordes of enemies or incredibly large ones, and in those cases, your damage is penalized. (It's just harder to do damage to a huge throng of people) Unless you're the Beggar, a Drunken Master kind of figure, who can gain a move to ignore those penalties.
>>
for apocalypse world i think of something like using nen like a pool of points you can use to do different kind of moves, the more nen you have the more you can do, but if you dont want to waste to much nen you can put restrictions that give you bonuses
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.