[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kings of War / Mantic General /kowg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 38

File: new_FoN_models.jpg (46KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
new_FoN_models.jpg
46KB, 960x960px
Kings of War/Mantic General
Nobody ever makes a thread edition

Condensed rules:
http://puggimer.net/documents/KOW_Ref_2-0.pdf
Books:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/meedbza42sp4m/Kings_of_War
Errata:
http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/KINGS%20OF%20WAR/KoW%20FAQ%20and%20Errata%20290915.pdf

Recommended list builder:
kow2.easyarmy.com
Hit "PDF" at the top right for easy posting of your lists
Includes relevant special rules on the last page.
>>
>>46172420
How can I make an all-skeleton list work?
Would Undead or Empire of Dust be better for it?

The biggest problem seems to be shambling, requiring a heavy investment in surge casters.

The second problem is limited Height 2+ units, Large Infantry and Cavalry.
>>
Anyone tried Varangur?
>>
File: cancer.png (843KB, 1600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
843KB, 1600x600px
I'm here to call mantic shit

But the rules are nice.
>>
>>46176278
Oh, I think we asked for a troll in the last thread to keep everything bumped nicely.

Are you here to apply for the position?
>>
File: LightBarbarianInfantry.jpg (85KB, 960x681px) Image search: [Google]
LightBarbarianInfantry.jpg
85KB, 960x681px
>>46176310
I've said my piece. Mantic models are not as good or cheap as other third parties but KoW is a decent rule system
>>
How fun is KoW for a former WHFB player?
>>
>>46176459

Depends what you liked about WHFB.

I liked the ranks-and-flanks and careful movement, I didn't like the rules minutia so much, which made KoW ideal.

Here is a comparison vid.

https://youtu.be/NeYDpElRvOo
>>
>>46176363
which third parties are there?
>>
>>46176551
MoM miniatures
Russian Alternative
Gamezone
Mantic
Reaper
Titan Forge
Rackham
Mierce (expensive)
>>
>>46176278
The drunk Spaniard makes awesome minis at great prices, imagien if Mantic and him would unite...
Also have you seen his new halberdiers?
>>
>>46176551
http://pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
http://unsupported-armies.blogspot.com/
>>
>>46176521
Thanks anon, that was actually quite informative

I'll definitely give this a go with some of my mates
>>
>>46176611
The drunk Spaniard?
I've seen photos of those but never managed to work out what the manufacturer was actually called
>>
File: spoon-feeding.jpg (82KB, 584x389px) Image search: [Google]
spoon-feeding.jpg
82KB, 584x389px
>>46177491
http://www.momminiaturas.com/
>>
File: skavenlist.png (22KB, 596x717px) Image search: [Google]
skavenlist.png
22KB, 596x717px
This isn't quite finished, still has points for magic items, and might get minor changes, but it is basically what I plan on using. What do y'all think? No ranged (except the weapons teams), plan to attack on a long front at fullish speed with the weapon teams possibly tarrying. back to deal with flanking/flying attacks.

I own all the models except the second vermintide regiment, but I don't know that most are up to a presentable level. I also own a Verminlord...but he's already painted and doesn't have wings. I wouldn't want to drill into a painted (metal) model and don't know how I'd go about converting that. Maybe add plastic wings with liberal use of greenstuff as a cement. He can go in when it moves to 2500 points.
>>
Mantic had its place when it made decent miniatures at really fucking cheap prices.
That basically meant Undead, maybe goblins if you liked the aesthetics and maybe Orks if you have enough GW heads for headswaps.

Ever since they started slowly raising the prices, they pretty much lost their entire fucking point. Most miniatures are still kinda iffy, but the prices just don't fucking match up anymore.
>>
>>46179592
I thought the prices were great...until I realized I was looking at Pounds Sterling.

I use Citadel (mostly already owned, picked up what I needed off Ebay) and Warlord (fairly cheap, very good sculpts). Mantic sculpts aren't good. I would buy their undead and goblins though if I used those armies.
>>
>>46179592
Slowly rising their prices to a level still far below what Cancerco think they can get away with.

Then they released the only decent mass combat fantasy game just as those other wankers were shooting the prior contender in the back of the head.

Last twelve months have been great for Mantic, hopefully this year's Deadzone and Warpath releases will be as good. Would not put it past Kirby's empire to Sigmarize 40K this year.
>>
>>46179592
>Most miniatures are still kinda iffy, but the prices just don't fucking match up anymore.
The point of Mantic has never, at any point, been their model-to-model prices.

The value has always been in their bulk deals.

I mean, just look at this comparison:

Mantic Elf Army (76 minis) $85 USD
Games Workshop High Elves Battalion (49 minis) $120 USD

Pretty much every bulk deal from Mantic is like this. For individual units and minis the prices are similar to that of other companies because that's what you HAVE to sell individual boxes at to turn a profit. But when you have bulk deals, Mantic is able to deliver a much better value on a per-mini basis.
>>
>>46176363
>>46180705
Pretty much this: Bulk purchases.

You'll find examples where GW is cheaper in single cases sure, but on the whole Mantic is generally a better deal when it comes to buying a lot of dudes.

The real problem is that:
>>46176594
Don't cover all models. It's not like those companies have an equally large catalog or product lines, they do some small stuff very well.
>>
Did Mantic release a new revenants kit? There look like two different sets of models in the photos.
>>
>>46176278
What model is the one on the left?
I'm always interested in large models that are a good deal.

>>46180705
They're putting out some Elite Army boxes now too. Generally same 80$ pricepoint and half the minis, but it's all Cavalry, pewter heroes, large infantry, war machines, etc.
>>
File: goblins.jpg (218KB, 1035x586px) Image search: [Google]
goblins.jpg
218KB, 1035x586px
Well, look what I found in my closet. Quick flip through the rules say this is nearly 1k points. 10 more spiders are still on their sprues.

How does one speed paint gobbos? I've never been satisfied with my highlighting black with grey. I just can't seem to make it look nice. Probably why these were never painted.
>>
>>46183117
There's also 2 ugly trolls, and I guess the KoW rules don't have a fanatic alternative, so something else will have to be done with those models.
>>
>>46183117
>>46183433
What are you running the spiders as? Mawbeasts?
I'd just use the Fanatics as unit fillers myself, can't really see a good fit for them otherwise.
>>
>>46181354
Yup. The old ones were bad and fit on 20mm bases when they were supposed to be on 40mm bases. The new ones are much better and are large enough for their assigned stature.
>>
>>46185600
Was thinking fleabag riders, the standard light cavalry. Nothing set in stone yet. Those spiders have riders, I just haven't applied most of them.
>>
What army do people think has the best war engines? I kinda want to throw together a small (1500 points maybe) army with a big focus on war machines. Dwarves is the obvious choice, but Abyssal Dwarves, Goblins (for being super cheap) and Rhordia all seem solid
>>
>>46183433
Put a few fanatics on a multibase and run them as Mangler, or whatever they're called.
>>
>>46183433
>and I guess the KoW rules don't have a fanatic alternative
The Basilea list has a Penitent Mob, which I think is supposed to be representative of Fanatics.
>>
>>46187506
You're thinking of Flaggelants. Fanatics are the spinning night goblins with huge wrecking balls.
>>
File: waterblazingsun.jpg (310KB, 802x1169px)
waterblazingsun.jpg
310KB, 802x1169px
One thing I'm not quite sure I understand from my first reading of the v2 rules: Units accrue damage in combats or from being shot, but do damage markers stay from turn to turn? I assume so, as otherwise the Heal spell seems like kind of a bust. If that is the case, then wouldn't even Nerve 14/16 units be getting routed regularly after only one or two turns of taking like... 2 damage? This seems pretty brutal, especially for a game where flanking/rear gives double or treble the number of attacks! Is there something I'm missing here? Are Troop size units basically useless for having Nerve 9/11?

Also, how are Kingdoms of Men compared to some of the other lists? They seems pretty weak water with a total lack of specialized units. One of the things that made Warhammer's Empire (circa 7th) not suck total ass was its Detachment rules, which this has none of. It's pretty hard to already want to have halberdiers count as Heavy Pike Blocks because Pole-Arm Blocks seem like they kind of suck ass, but I'm just feeling very tepid about trying to move my Empire army over to this system without having to go out and buy new shit, the very thing I'd move to Kings of War to avoid.

Thanks to any anons who respond to this shitty non-contributing post.
>>
>>46189062
>Is there something I'm missing here?
No it's exactly this, it's very, very lethal.
>Are Troop size units basically useless for having Nerve 9/11?
as long as you use them for flanking and don't expect them to tank huge amounts of damage, they are useful.
>>
File: waterpanther.jpg (194KB, 702x1136px) Image search: [Google]
waterpanther.jpg
194KB, 702x1136px
>>46189397
All right, I suppose I can get behind this. I mean, lethal is an improvement over a lot of melees lasting four of six turns in Warhammer from last I played. I still have to figure out what kind of magic items would do to make a ~1500 KoW list from my Empire, but how does this look sitting at 1365?

135 - Regiment Foot Guard
135 - Regiment Foot Guard with two-handed weapons
165 - Regiment Heavy Pike Block
75 - Troop Bowmen
100 - Troop Arquebusiers
100 - Troop Arquebusiers
195 - Regiment Knights
100 - Troop Mounted Scouts with pistols
85 - Cannon
90 - Siege Artillery
120 - General on horse
65 - Wizard with Bane Chant (2)
>>
File: Veerman+.jpg (43KB, 639x426px)
Veerman+.jpg
43KB, 639x426px
>>46189575
>>46189062
Man those pics are fucking sick, from were did you get them?
Also did you guys see the Veermen pics in the kickstarter? The quality is very good.
>>
>>46189709
Yeah, I'm liking them. Definitely better than the stretched out older ones.
>>
>>46189575
In general, more troops > magic items. One or two might be really important (inspiring, potion of the caterpillar, scrying gem in particular, depending on your strategy), but usually the points is best spent on another regiment
>>
>>46189575
>>46190399
In fact, giving it a second look, your core of the army seems solid, but you'll want more Inspiring. Give the Wizard the Inspiring talisman, see if you can add an Army Standard Bearer, take the Scrying gem on something (deosn't really matter what) and consider the Potion of the Caterpillar on the knights so that terrain doesn't just fuck them. That gives you 15 points to spare, a couple of little things like War Bow of Kaba on a standard bearer or Quicksilver Rapier should fill up those nicely.
>>
>>46179135
That's a lot of drops in 2000 points. Give it a try, anon.
>>
>>46189062
>do damage markers stay from turn to turn?
Yes. They're wounds tokens, essentially. Heal removes them. Most people just use dice as counters.

>Is there something I'm missing here?
Yes,

1) Rolls to rout are curved (2d6), averaging 7, so it's not quite as lethal as you're thinking, but yes it's more lethal than some aspects of WHFB
2) This whole game is about superior tactics to outmaneuver the enemy, flanking bonuses are huge by design

1) To illustrate:
>2d6 probability on a 14/16 unit to rout:
Rolling higher than 8 is a 28% chance. So if you took 5 damage, you'd only have a 28% chance of being wavered, not even routed. Only an 8.3% chance of being routed. You don't hit 50% chance of routed until 9 damage or so.
Obviously you can see the value of units with high nerve (18+) though since you've only get even a 3% chance of rolling a 12.
> 9/11 unit
4 damage until ~50% chance of rout. These units are usually either very cheap, or intended to screen key units, or not intended to be under heavy fire.

Heavy damage is hard to do outside of expensive units too, and at the same time crap cheap units can take down expensive specialized units, which tend to have lower nerve for the same point cost, just by plinking away since you've got a chance of rolling high on the nerve test.

>how are Kingdoms of Men compared to some of the other lists?
Arguably one of the most flexible. If you want super-specialized units, check out taking allies or a different Humans faction list.

>Pole-Arm Blocks seem like they kind of suck ass compared to Heavy Pike Block
Did you compare by point cost? The points costs between units are pretty well balanced on the whole, and due to the heavy emphasis on maneuvering crap units simply filling space can have value. Heavy pike blocks don't even come under 165 pts, for which you can get a double sized pole-arm block with more nerve and attack.
>>
What armies should I look at if I want something very shooty? I've heard that elf shooting is common in new players but not as good as it looks at first, so I'd like to avoid that. I'm thinking about Empire of Dust for the range of the heavy crossbows and possibly allying with Ogres to get even more of that from their shooters.
>>
>>46194491
Elf shooting is pretty great, but they don't have heaps of options. They pretty much just get archers and bolt throwers. Their bolt throwers are pretty much the most efficient warmachine in the game, though, and a horde of archers with an item and bane chant is deadly.
Dwarves is maybe best for pure gunline? I also like the sound of League of Rhordia- decent options for magic and warmachines, and lots of options for infantry and cavalry with shooting.
>>
>>46194491
What kind of shooty?
There's regular units (breath, bows, crossbows, guns, carbines, harpoons, etc) which range from 12, 18, 24, to 36 inch range. Shorter ranges are generally better in other factors.
There's war machines. Generally two extremes: Ra 5+ with 1 Att that hit hard, and ones with more Att that don't hit as hard.
Then there's magic. Fire, lightning, etc.

Elves are easy to min-max since they get Ra 4+ elite archers without artifacts, which can then be backed with banechant.

Twilight Kin can do exactly the same thing as the Elves which I think is overlooked. Vicious is identical to Elite in terms of mechanics, which is the only difference in their ranged units.

Brotherhood bowmen have Phalanx.

Trident Real have riverguard which are probably the most bizzarely flexible units in the game.Weird 6-speed flying unit with short range throwing weapons, pathfinder, Me 4+, and vicious. They're not that expensive for all their features, and you can just spam regiments of frog-men.

Abyssals and Night-Stalkers have firebolts.

KoM and Rhordia have the full mix of bows, crossbows, and guns. Rhordia is very cheap.

Ratkin and Dwarfs get snipers. The Ratkin are cheaper and also have a Nimble breath weapon team that's cheap.

Empire of dust gets Large Infantry crossbows with 36" range, which you can back behind normal bow/crossbow infantry, as well as nimble archer cavalry.

Goblins get lots of dirt cheap heroes with bows and lightning bolts.

Abyssal dwarfs have lots of breath weapons and a good selection of war machines.
>>
File: 1331171746251.jpg (382KB, 800x878px)
1331171746251.jpg
382KB, 800x878px
>>46193113
My main issue with the Pole-Arm Blocks vs. Heavy Pike Blocks is I have Halberdiers from my Empire days that were two 10 man detachments, no command or anything. Coming out of late 6th and early 7th Ed. Warhammer means I simply don't have 40 of any god damn model to begin with. If I wanted a giant unit back then, 25 models was more than enough. Presently I'm looking to find a reason to game again, as I've finally finished many long-abandoned painting projects, but I absolutely, positively am not looking to buy more shit, much less support GW by buying models that will visually mesh with my extant army. In light of this, I really can't see a reason to bring a Regiment sized Pole-Arm Block over basically any other option, especially with the Foot Guard sans shields (Empire Greatswords) filling the gap on Crushing Strength options (35 points for better Melee, Defense, AND Nerve). Is this a pretty fair assessment? Is a Heavy Pike Block a good role for 20 Empire Halberdiers to fill?

All of the advice in this thread has been magnificent and I'm glad to get such detailed answers. It seems like (Very) Inspiring is a Pretty Big Deal in this game, and having the Kingdoms of Men special rule seems like a forgiving one. I can absolutely do a BSB, but without direct experience yet I'm fuzzy on what magic items to spring for on Individuals in particular. At the moment, it looks like I'd want the General on horse to be there to try and flank units or take on war machines if it doesn't take him too far from the force.

A few questions:
-Better to have the two types of war machine, or would swapping one for a second Wizard work better? Looking around online it seems like the cannon is seen as somewhat mediocre compared to the Siege Artillery.
-If I give a shooting unit a magic item such as the War Bow of Kaba, do they get to shoot it in addition to their normal attacks or is this something to give to a unit normally with no shooting?
-What is the hell is a counter charge?
>>
File: Averland1[1].jpg (39KB, 400x201px) Image search: [Google]
Averland1[1].jpg
39KB, 400x201px
>>46194907
Oh, and one more thing:
-What is a good load out or use for Mounted Scouts (Pistoliers)? Since you can't do a feigned flight like Warhammer Fast Cavalry (my main use for that unit), I'm not exactly sure that they have much of a use beyond screening my knights or mobile shooting for hunting war machines/individuals. Are the Carbines worth the points over free Pistols? Will a Troop of them be enough? I'm very on the fence about them as they were a rather specific, finesse use for Warhammer.

Thanks again for the great replies!
>>
>>46194733
36" range is definitely a big draw for me, which is why I mentioned Ogres and Empire of Dust, leaning toward Empire of Dust because of the other shooting units. Dwarfs have little that appeal to me outside of the sharpshooters, but I somehow missed Ratkin getting the heavy crossbows and they do look very appetizing with those low point costs. You're also doing a good job of selling the Riverguard even though they're shorter range than I'd like.
All in all I really like the idea of an army raining down hell on the enemy from afar and am looking for the best way to build it.
>>
>>46194907
If you don't have the models you don't have the models. If you've only got 20 models, I'd take the elite-er option with the Halberdiers, yeah. Depends on if your list came down to the last 35 points to make whatever critical plan click.
>35 points for...
Advice: Ignore Me rating for Me*Att instead, which is average hits.
35 pts for 2 more avg hits, 1 more defense, 1 pt of nerve. Overall it's a fair deal compared to artifacts, but choosing a different unit is almost always a better deal than artifacts.
I run Undead, and it's similar for skeletons vs Revenants, 30 pts for 2 more avg hits, 1 more defense, 1 pt of nerve. Sometimes you just need a filler unit though, and CS(1) isn't bad insurance against whatever hits them on the first charge so at least they do something.

The pole arm block, stat wise, is actually the shield wall if they had a 2-handed option.

>war machine
The ones with fewer Att that hit harder REALLY start to shine when you've got more of them. If you're only taking one or two, the ones which hit more often are more advisable. Average damage for the cost wins out with the harder hitting ones though.
>do they get to shoot it in addition to their normal attacks
Only ONE shooting option can be used per shooting phase, spells or artifacts included. There is a one-use artifact for 10 pts that lets you make two in one turn, but obviously this is more for spellcasters since you'd need multiple options that aren't artifacts already. These ranged attack artifacts are nice to put on Standard Bearers since they're usually have no offense.
>What is the hell is a counter charge?
Attacking the thing that just attacked you last turn. They make this distinction for a number of exceptions (LOS, rotation, hinderance, some special abilities, etc)
> Mounted Scouts
Harassment, hunting. Fast&Nimble cavalry with ranged should be making an attack all 6 turns of the game and easily land that last nerve check to rout a damaged unit.
>
>>
>>46195453
>>46195036
>> Mounted Scouts
Oh, also: Objective scenarios
For 100 pts they're VERY fast, just short of a flying unit which is generally more expensive for the speed.
For that I wouldn't NOT have them.
>>
File: shooty_list.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
shooty_list.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46194491
=^)
>>
File: cvbg.png (6MB, 1828x1457px) Image search: [Google]
cvbg.png
6MB, 1828x1457px
>>46195453
Super informative, thank you very much. On the war machine point, both of my options are 1 shot of d6+x with Piercing in the high-to-obscene range it seems. I think I'll be sticking with the two war machines until I get more of an understanding on magic. Not being able to hide a wizard in a unit definitely seems to make them a riskier prospect, and the only plan I could think of for a second wizard was to have one be a magic missile (Fireball/Lightning Bolt) platform and the other to be a utility wizard (Heal/Banechant or maaaybe Wind Blast).

>>46195502
I like this note of using them to force Nerve tests as much as possible and to contest objectives, but I'm still curious about the carbines vs. pistols. With all said about magic items already, it seems like 15 points is a tremendous amount to spend for a mere +6" range. Am I good to just keep running them as Pistoliers in effect then?

Presently the model that is my "General" was a mounted Warrior Priest that I converted. In my lists for Warhams, I had him leading, with 2 wizards and (occasionally) a BSB, so I do like my magic a fair bit. That said, is there a magic item I can give the General to buff units or grant him the Banechant spell or somesuch? It would certainly make me feel a bit more at home with him!

Kings of War General, you're all right, thread. You're all right.
>>
>>46195823
>mere +6" range
Melee charges are 2x movement speed. An 18" range attack can stay out of charge range of up to an 8" speed unit, meaning they're still good for staying out of any basic units range. A 24" though can stay out of all cavalry range.
Additionally, a 24" unit can always shoot an 18" unit first and/or stay out of range, and/or may get an additional volley on a slower unit before it's in charge range.
12" attacks don't seem useful in this regard, but a lot of armies have 5" speed and under units.
This is to say the extra +6" is a situational counter, much like Phalanx is (a first-charge negation of Thunderous Charge (the non-disordered CS bonus).)

This is also where stuff like Windblast is kind of fun bumping units just in/out of range or attack arcs. First strike can mean a lot in KoW since combat tends to be faster and more decisive.

>Generals and wizards
You could take him as a wizard, mounted (option), with bane-chant (option), and an inspiring talisman (artifact).

Few artifacts to buff other units. Healing charm for Heal (3) (not a bad option), Inspiring Talisman (redundant for inspiring heroes), Scrying Gem?
Taking your General as the unique individual "The Captain" (can be mounted), and putting the scrying gem on one of the wizards (unique heroes can't take artifacts) would be interesting. You can force them to deploy multiple units at once, then redo some of your deployments. Other factions can only get half of this.
Buffs are reserved for casters, and artifacts are generally a self-buff or add a minor offensive option to self.

The Dungeon Saga heroes can be used by KoM as well, they can be found on EasyArmy listbuilder if you don't have Dungeon Saga. Draenor the Wizard for example CAN shoot every spell he has every turn but they're all weaker than normal.
>>
>>46194907
Heroes don't really need magic items. Don't feel obliged to give them one.
Use as many unit fillers as you need. Most of my regiments are 12-16 models. As long as the footprint is correct it's fine.
>>
>>46196216
>Heroes don't really need magic items.
Yes/No.
Again:
1) Standard Bearers with Me(5+) and Att(1) are the best value to throw a ranged attack artifact on. They don't really engage in combat otherwise. Exception are some like Ogres can reliably do damage in melee.
2) Sometimes you really want a caster but also need inspiring.
3) Healing charm isn't a waste if they'll be inspiring escort away from casters and they're going to need healing.
4) You can get De 6+ individuals which are hard as hell to kill
5) Being able to move at the double AND still cast can be crucial in the first few turns
6) Flying heroes is a fantastic thing which brings wreck-your-formation options to all factions.
>>
>>46196255
well obviously some of them are good
I'm just saying don't feel like you need to give one to all heroes or anything, which seemed to be implied there
>>
>>46196278
Oh definately. Artifacts in this should always have a plan behind them, they're actually slightly overpriced.
>>
File: 1261131158044.jpg (204KB, 1600x736px) Image search: [Google]
1261131158044.jpg
204KB, 1600x736px
>>46196141
Yeah, having played a bit of Wood Elves, I'm familiar with how good something like Wind Blast can be, where movement shenanigans are best capitalized by units with high movement it doesn't seem likely to work well with an army like this. I absolutely play it as more of a case of giving them no option but to dash themselves on my infantry and trust in my forces to hold long enough to close the jaws on them with flanking Knights and Greatswords.

I do like the idea of taking the Healing Charm for him to double as a Warrior Priest in at least that capacity. Again, as far as Wizards go, I will probably just stick with a Fireball+Banechant Wizard to get the hang of how much weight magic pulls in this game. I am curious how people use Individuals effectively in this game, as being a lone target like that was typically a death sentence in Warhammer without a bevy of magical items to bolster survivability. Will charging in at the same time as Knights add terribly much? Individuals don't really pop much on paper so I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how to build such a character. I'm definitely overthinking it, though, and I'm glad that this is more of a "units and tactics first" game, which is what drove me away from late 7th Edition's return to Herohammer of olde. I'll be hopefully playing a game this weekend, so I might do a battle report of it for the general thread. More likely I'll just be back with a baker's dozen of new questions though.
>>
>>46196304
>use Individuals effectively
The one given is that individuals should be used to maintain bare minimum Inspiring coverage. Anything past that is a plan. Examples would be warmachine hunting, disordering ranged/spells (eg shutting down 250 pt archer unit w/ ~100 pt individual is hilarious), individual hunting (see artifacts), monster hunting (see artifacts), blocking charges, blocking surges, min-maxing a multi-charge, etc.
Then casters as required, eg shambling heavy armies basically require surge casters to function.

>Will charging in at the same time
Melee-competent individuals are for min-maxing the damage of a single charge. They've got a tiny footprint. If you notice the charge examples in the book, it's possible for two units and an individual to charge one target. Some units are Inspiring for X units only, which are perfect for multi-charges since they fit easier than taking a second full regiment of large infantry and have inspiring.

>lone target like that was typically a death sentence
Against units? Not so much since individuals zip around the board compared to units, you'll never be charged at without knowing it was going to happen.
Against other individuals? Yes, counter-individual individuals is a good investment against caster or hero heavy armies.

>how much weight magic pulls in this game
VERY SUBTLE. They've got it razors edge of being ineffective and being the factor that tips things in your favor. Way different than WHFB.

>having a hard time conceptualizing how to build such a character
They're the grease between the wheels. You need a bare minimum to function, but past that might be better invested in more wheels.
>>
>>46196304
Individuals are insanely mobile, as they get the Nimble special rule, plus a free rotation before each move. They can't be flanked, and shooting attacks against them get -1. They're so hard to kill.
>>
File: SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS.png (848KB, 1148x711px) Image search: [Google]
SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS.png
848KB, 1148x711px
>>46195782
>175 arrows, 16 sharpsticks and 9 lightning bolts in a round of shooting turn

That is sickening.
The Shining Ones have abandoned us.
>>
File: whatamireading.gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
whatamireading.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>46196966
See now, what the fuck is >>46189575 supposed to be able to do against that? And the thread had been so encouraging so far.
>>
File: elohi2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
elohi2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46197273
Close the distance in 2 turns and kill everything, pretty much.
Shooting's not as strong as it seemed on paper, was something everyone found out pretty early.
Also, that list is 500 points more than yours, if you spent 380 points on two generals on winged beasts you'd destroy it.
That list, for example, is pretty much helpless against this one. All in lists tend to either win hard or lose hard, depending on presence of counters. Balanced lists tend to top tournaments, so far. (Maybe tending slightly towards herohammery lists)
>>
>>46197273
Charge it and winged monsters. Goblins don't have staying power.
>>
>>46197450
>>46197732
I suppose, with very low Ra and all else that getting to combat without suffering too much isn't impossible. I do have to say though all those Horde size blocks at Ne 19/21, even with their low Def., make me puzzle at how effective a charge would crack them. I am really going to have to roll some dice to get a proper feel for this, but it just seems terrifying when the units I am counting on sticking around are Ne 13/15 in comparison. I suppose it's that old adage that 'there's no teacher like experience'!
>>
File: P3220024.jpg (2MB, 3855x2315px) Image search: [Google]
P3220024.jpg
2MB, 3855x2315px
Fishbat here, just want to let you guys know I'm cooking up another batrep. Elves vs Undead, 2000 point Kill Scenario.
>>
>>46198642
Looks like a fun clusterfuck.

Would love to see that giant up close if you have any pictures.
>>
File: 1453088250852.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1453088250852.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>46199312
>Would love to see that giant up close if you have any pictures.
Sure. 1/2.
>>
File: Undead Collossus3.jpg (369KB, 847x857px) Image search: [Google]
Undead Collossus3.jpg
369KB, 847x857px
>>46199354
2/2 (before being based for KoW)
>>
>>46199354
>>46199403
That's some spooky shit.
>>
>>46199426
It was spooky, but now it's just sad.

See, I actually have to ally him in from the Empire of Dust list because I wanted to use the model.

Seems okay, just make my skelly regiment count as EoD for the same points and presto. Even though I now can't inspire them.

Then my opponent kindly informs me that you can't cast spells on allies, so now I have a giant that can't be surged, can't be inspired and can't move at the double.

I love him to bits, but he won't be hitting the table if I'm going for efficiency.
>>
Guy who posted all those goblins earlier here. I'm going to base and paint (some of) them, at the very least as an opponent for my rats if I find an opponent who has no army. Question about general army building from someone who hasn't played a real game yet: how useful are spears in an average game? You get some more attacks and negate TC usually, but you pay quite a premium. I have enough models for a spear legion. But I could also just fill in the first 2-3 ranks with hand weapons and use the spears as filler, the standard legion is much cheaper. Is it entirely a situational thing based on who your standard opponent are, I guess? If you aren't fighting cav, that's something like 40-50 points for 5 extra attacks.
>>
>>46200799
Highly useful in my experiense, but many times other units are better because of their nerve, defense and melee.
>>
>>46200799
With undead I always go for spears. Phalanx is useful and for the points cost, there isn't a massive downside.
>>
>>46201693
>>46203667
Thanks; I think I'm going to field them in 2 spear hordes. I realized on further inspection of the rules that one spear legion has a fairly large chance of not being able to attack as per Yellow Bellied.

I also was checking out Mantic's site and saw some guy using the Skull Pass troll as a Rock Thrower. I'm going to steal that idea. I don't like the model for a regiment.
>>
>>46177846
>image search doesn't end up to the site
>googling "drunk spaniard miniatures" doesn't lead to the site
>somehow asking for a source is asking to be spoonfed
>>
>>46204366
I'm sorry you didn't think of cropping the part you wanted to google, from what is obviously a paint montage.
I'm sorry you thought somebody actually would call himself 'the drunk spaniard'.
I'm sorry my hyperbole offended you.

After I posted it, I thought, for a second, maybe it's mean. But then I thought that people around here are used to exaggeration and it was more funny than mean. And I did give you the link.
Anyway. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, anon.
>>
>>46204366
For any interested, he will release next Orc boar riders, dorf warmachines and human heroes.
>>
File: 415.png (54KB, 500x409px)
415.png
54KB, 500x409px
>>46204452
not him, but I abhor fa/tg/uys who go out of their way to mock spoonfeeding and refuse to actually answer, despite answering being less effort than they just put into mocking
You're alright, anon.

>>46197840
>Horde size blocks at Ne 19/21
Once you engage in melee they lose their ranged attacks, and then their Me 6+ rating makes them nigh-useless. Even sub-100 pt units have an advantage over them at that point.
Low defense means hits are almost true damage. Even 120 pt units can churn out 6 hits. Those hordes are just a speedbump even with high nerve.
>>
File: 1440107322300.gif (506KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1440107322300.gif
506KB, 500x375px
>>46199403
>>46199354
>TFW I have that bone giant
>TFW mine isn't painted as well
>>
Rules questions:

So height 0 doesn't block LOS, though it still counts as height 1 cover.
Indirect fire ignores cover.

Therefore: height 0 units are a good screen for Indirect Fire warmachines?
>>
What's a good army for big stompy monsters?
>>
>>46211715
Armies with them as an option, obviously. Even if your army doesn't have them, if you're playing 2000 pts it's usually possible to fit two in the 25% limit with an inspiring source, and 1500 can fit at least one.
Basically go nuts and pick a monster you like the model or stats for, and that doesn't restrict your army choice.
>>
>>46211715
Salamanders for lots of big dinosaurs
Forces of Nature for a large customizable array of nature monsters including chimeras and such
Orcs for the classic choice of trolls and giants
And don't forget Trident Realms with krakens, wyrms, giant enemy crabs, giant living coral reefs, and more
>>
File: Modern_List.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Modern_List.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Could I play with entirely "modern" or similar units?

Check out this list:
Fielding as League of Rhordia, since humans and one of the only factions with Tanks that's not Dwarves.

Musket blocks as riflemen with bayonets (Me 5+ Ra 5+)
Iron Beasts as flamethrower tanks (Breath attack)
Battle Shrine as a wagon/jeep/halftrack/whatever with a machinegun (large cavalry with lightning bolt)
Standard Bearer with The Boomstick
>>
>>46212645
Looks fun, but you gonna get your ass handed.

I guess modern units would go better with the scifi mantic game.
>>
>>46213127
There's no real modern melee units anymore.
Best I can think of are napoleonic cavalry with early WWI tanks or something.

>>46213127
>>46212645
New list:
Napoleonic with an early model Tank, Gatling gun ("volley" gun), and artillery piece.
Four musket lines with bayonet.
Four groups of Napoleonic cavalry.
One wagon-drawn gatling (Battle Shrine)
A few Standard Bearers, boomstick and grenades.

Figure musket lines advance center, cavalry splits to both or one flank.
>>
File: Napoleonic.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Napoleonic.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46213440
File, forgot.

A few artifacts to fill the final <50 pts.
>>
>>46213474
I like the idea, I personally would take some cavalry out to add more cannons. Howitzers have terrible hit ratio and master engineer does nothing to them; you only see them work properly with 3 or more. Volley gun are way better option if you can't place enough artillery as they have way better hit ratio, the problem is their range.

I would say try it and tune it, it looks like a fun idea.
>>
>>46213474
Oh yeah, also, pick the halfling wizard, their wind blast is lot of fun and as you are soo heavy in artillery and range it can help to deny charges.
>>
>>46211894
>>46211982
How would a Varangur list with a heavy focus on trolls and monsters work out? Bringing back the old Troll King list from WHFB.
>>
>>46215709
Cave trolls are irregular, they need to be unlocked in the list building (count as troops), just as the monsters and the Troll King do.

So you'd need about 40-50% regular, other units.
>>
>>46215791
Gotcha. Guess I could use Direfangs as "Dragon Ogres", since they don't have an asterisk next to them, to fill up choices.
>>
>>46204452
You're not sorry.
>>
>>46214239
>>46213474
more inspiring though hey
a couple of standard bearers, and with a relatively static battleplan like yours there's pretty much no excuse for not having near total coverage.
>>
>>46209183
It's only a couple of basecoats, a highlight and then lots and lots of Devlan Mud.

I believe in you anon.
>>
>>46215709
Ogre list but trolls as counts-as? Gives you more variable options instead of just spamming one unit over and over. You can always ally something important from somewhere else in if need be.
>>
Finished throwing together my 2000 points of Ogres. Mantic are Berserkers, GW are Warriors, Ettins are unit leaders because Ettins are rad.
>>
File: ogres v2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
ogres v2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46221310
and the list if anyone cares
>>
>>46221310
I wonder how awesome it would be to just take a legion of ogres as an allied unit. I guess you can't bane chant it though, so that would suck.
>>
>>46221310
Where are the red goblin archers from? Heroclix or something?

I love how your entire army is composed. Having ettins as your quirk seems like a good idea.
>>
>>46221755
They look like the Moria Goblins from the GW LotR game.
>>
File: abyssal dwarf.jpg (42KB, 504x585px) Image search: [Google]
abyssal dwarf.jpg
42KB, 504x585px
are abyssal dwarfs, good, decent, or shit? I love me some evil dwarves and im interested in playing them.
>>
>>46221878
They've got a nice selection to work with, yeah. My only complaint might be that they have more cavalry options than they need, but otherwise they've got some stuff other armies don't have a lot of like cheap fliers, weapon teams, breath weapon units, decent elite infantry, De 6+ hard-hitting units, etc.
>>
>>46223617
>more cavalry options than they need
* Redundant
Missed a word. Redundant options IMO, having cheap, medium, AND heavy melee cavalry, but no ranged or nimble. No chariots either.

Their slave Orcs are a great meatshield unit through, and they have all three arch-types of warmachines.

Of course you can ally to take the stuff they lack, eg chariots, if you really wanted.
>>
>>46223671
And gargoyles/golems. They are fucking awesome .
>>
>>46221878
Abyssal Dwarves are pretty good. Tons of slave orcs for screening and mortars for indirect fire is magic. All of the factions are balanced against each other thanks to Mantic actually playtesting their game, and the current US champion uses an Abyssal Dwarf army.

You might be surprised, as you may not be fielding many dwarves at all, just half breeds and orcs. It was the same in WHFB, where there were far less dwarves than their thralls, making dwarves in fluff and in crunch take a smaller role on the battlefield.
>>
>>46227602
I'm making an abyssal dwarf army, and by hashut it will have a lot of big hats.

I'll have to see if there is a way to make blacksouls and immortals work.
>>
>>46221878
>Orange fire highlighted by white, not the other way around
Please hire better painters soon Mantic
>>
>>46221755
Yeah, they are LOTR goblins from when I was about 12. Badly need a strip and repaint. Also a unit of them made of Reaper minis there, too.
>>
So, pikes. That is some horrendous defense value. Do they fulfill the job of defending arquebus blocks by virtue of being less valuable target? Or are they more supposed to represent offensive style, like Macedonian?

I'm looking at the book, and I simply wouldn't take many of them if I wasn't making a period based list.
>>
>>46232250
Depends the army, KoM have great pikemens with ensnare and elite.
>>
>>46230568
It could be like, magic fire?

Or a tiny, orange, baby ooze he's about to fling into the enemy ranks. No real reason, just to be a dick I guess.
>>
>>46232339
Yeah, the heavies pack a punch, though at a price.

The regulars don't look so hot to me, though. I'm definitely going to cheat and field way more sword and buckler men than was historical to get more anvil type infantry.
>>
>>46232250
>>46232435
Got out the book trying to make a defense for them, but yeah you're pretty much right
Having phalanx to strip thunderous charge is all well and good, but what's the point if your defense is already pathetic
>>
>>46199500
I think Mantic really dropped the ball with some of the Empire of Dust units not being able to be a part of an Undead army without allying.
>>
>>46236263
It's the same with litterally ever army. The point of the supplement was to add new armies, not add new units to each individual army. New units came with the campaign supplement.
>>
>>46236263
It's about not letting any one army have too many options though. Undead is already particularly strong, from what I've seen from tournaments. Giving them more stuff to choose from will only add to that.
It kinda sucks for fluffy armies, sure, but you can always just ask opponent permission I suppose.
>>
>>46236263
>>46199500
The point was to cut down on cheese.

Same thing with (*) irregular units.
Same thing with list building Troop unlocking
Same thing with the Monster/Hero/Warmachine unlocking

You CAN take Empire of Dust stuff pretty easy. You just can't have a fuckton of the heaviest units from both factions.
>>
>>46236263
I don't see why, differents strokes of necromancy, we have different strokes of humans too.
>>
The more I play the more I feel the need to invest in one of these.

A few degrees inside line of sight, a few millimeters too large to fit into a gap for a multicharge, these sort of things have an impact on many games.
>>
File: lineofsight.jpg (465KB, 1024x853px) Image search: [Google]
lineofsight.jpg
465KB, 1024x853px
>>46241919
Sorry, invest in one of THESE
>>
>>46241919
Invest? That must be like $1. Or you could just, you know, arts and crafts one together in thirty seconds.
>>
>>46241966
Okay, invest wasn't the right word.

I'm beginning to think that it's indispensable because of how important it is to the game.
>>
>>46241935
how the heck do you use this
>>
>>46242152
The base/bottom goes against the corners of your models square base.
>>
>>46232339
Does kingdom of men have any models yet?
>>
>>46245895
I don't think they will ever going to make models. Its basically an army list for third party manufacturers.

The con is that there are no official models, the pro is that you can use any historical models (I want to make a romance of the three kingdoms army).
>>
>>46246318
I can see them making a blister for the Mercenary hero, but I doubt that the rest would be filled in when it is essentially Your Dudes the army.
>>
What are the common count-as equivalencies for Kings of War regarding other miniatures like Warhammer, Confrontation, Warmahordes, etc?
>>
File: 1458660169516.jpg (166KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
1458660169516.jpg
166KB, 990x660px
Bamp
>>
>>46248618
A lot of Kings of War units have 1:1 equivalents from WHFB.

Not too sure about the other games.

Basically if you want to wield elves with spears, elves with bows, and an elf wizard, chances are you cans find all those things in KoW as well.
>>
So, can someone give me a rundown of how every faction plays?
>>
>>46241966
>That must be like $1

By the time it gets to Australia it costs like $10.

Anyone know of ones from alternatives?
>>
>>46251598
A piece of board/wood/plasticard/paper, a pencil, a protractor, and the appropriate cutting tool. No really: you build miniature soldiers and presumably terrain, you can build a god damn arrow at a 45° angle.
>>
Still no-one has a PDF of Destiny of Kings?
>>
Just played three games with my dwarves and I lost all three.

One against undead, one against abyssals, and one against abyssal dwarves.

I had four warmachines, two cannons and two organ guns. The cannons are garbage, only one chance on a 5+ to hit? I had one game where none of my cannons did a damn thing, and the two organ guns are ok but they dont have the range(got a warsmith nearby to make them elite.

Just getting steamrolled.

I have two regiments of ironguard that can hold out against a lot but other than that the bulwarkers, ironclad and shieldbreakers just fold to easily.

The ironwatch rifles have too few attacks unless I take them in horde formation.

Give me some advice or something, I am getting out outmaneuvered too much.

Should I take some allies? A horde or regiment of Elohi along with a phoneix or Ur-Elohi?
>>
>>46253877
Cannons are only good with 3 or more. Honestly I pick 4 or go home, they are extremely inacurate but they give 2 mayor advantage: you have reach advantage, denying lot of units from your enemy deployment (he is forced to reach you, you aren't. And if they hit they do massive damage. If I were you I would have pick 3 cannons and 1 organ gun, or if you don't feel lucky, just pick organ guns and the warsmith.

Ironwatch are great but as you said, they have few attacks and terrible accuracy. But they have pierce 2 which is great against many enemies.

What you can do is to deploy 2 troops of ironwatch infront of a regiment of ironwatch (giving it space to have LOS), and place your heavy hitters on the sides with your cannons on the back. The idea is to let your ironwatch regiment get charged and force your opponent to do a shitty manuever that allow hard hits from your heavy hitters.

Haven't played against those armies yet, but I have fought against dwarfs and they are their worst when you force them to come out from their deployment (in my experiense).
>>
>>46256780
Should I take allies though?

I have nothing that can fly and two of the three armies I faced had fliers.

The abyssal dwarves had a bunch of obsidian golems and greater obsidian golems so it was difficult to damage them.

I was thinking if I could get behind them with fliers (elohi and ur elohi) I could at least keep up with their fliers and get behind the golems and kill their priests that surge them.
>>
>>46250819
The Mantic blog did a run-down awhile ago on the basic factions. Really though, it boils down to special ability, availability of unit types, and characteristics of the general units in the army.

Elves tend to be low defense, good speed, reliable hitting, though can't do melee heavy builds well. Orcs tend to be the same in a manner of glass cannon but a heavier focus on melee. Undead is lots of shambling but with more non-shambling than Empire of dust who has more shamblers and some unit types Undead doesn't. Dwarves and Abyssal Dwarfs are slow, sturdy, and with a focus on siege and ranged weapons through Abyssal uses shorter ranged with fliers and better war machine variety while dwarves aren't far from WHFB save for gyrocopters. Goblins are THE horde/swarm army though nothing in particular is spectacular, and ogres are the exact opposite where everything hits hard but they struggle having few units on the board. Abyssals are chaos demons with no warmachines, Basilea are Byzantine backed by God with decent healing but medium defense, Forces of Nature are exactly that and have a good mix of other factions, Ratkin are Ratkin and have a neat inspiring bonus just by number proximity, The Herd is great but fragile and does well with ignoring terrain, Rhordia is another glass-cannon faction but with more Dwarven stuff, Twilight Kin are alternative Elves, Brotherhood are like DEUS VULT but with more water elementals, Varangur are viking/chaos/troll nomads, Salamanders are exactly that, Trident Realm I haven't seen but lots of monster/hero/large units, ...
OK frankly the most original list is Night Stalkers because their special ability is inverted inspiring rules, and the most flexible is probably Kingdoms of Men by design but closely tied with Elves or Abyssal Dwarfs IMO.

Overall they did a good job of no "best" or "worst" army in that everything is VERY carefully costed. If your army is lacking in something you take allies.
>>
>>46257008
Obsidian golems are a pain the ass, but they are slow, I have had games where they weren't able to attack until turn 5 because I deny them charges with my cavalry. They are height 2, so they are basically your target practice for your artillery and ironwatch.

Flyers are a little bit harder for me to give any advice as I have only had 1 match against someone who used them, so I can't say anything beyond "deny them manuovers".

I don't use dwarfs, but I haven't had the need to use allies yet (I mostly use KoM). One thing that helps a lot when you need to have the upper hand on deployment is the item that force the opponent to deploy 1d3+1 units. It can be a life saver in my experiense.
>>
>>46246684
It's Your Dudes: The Game.
>>
File: img_2847.jpg (2MB, 2446x2464px) Image search: [Google]
img_2847.jpg
2MB, 2446x2464px
>>46241919
I just take a piece of paper, such as my army list, and fold it like pic related. Ta-daa!
>>
>>46206868
fuck yes! i need some nice orc cavalry models... i dont like mantic ones and i am still too butthurt about AoS to give FW any money
>>
File: P3250012.jpg (694KB, 2644x1632px) Image search: [Google]
P3250012.jpg
694KB, 2644x1632px
Finished another battle report.

I'm interested to see what the tacticians here have to say about it.

https://youtu.be/ZzRNRCTGAV0
>>
File: Abyssal Berserkers Troop.png (79KB, 401x181px) Image search: [Google]
Abyssal Berserkers Troop.png
79KB, 401x181px
Abyssal Berserker troops like very nice for the cost. Thoughts?
>>
File: zerks.png (2MB, 1355x662px) Image search: [Google]
zerks.png
2MB, 1355x662px
>>46264449
Russian Alternative have just released suitable figures for them.
>>
bump?
>>
>>46257544
>dwarves aren't far from WHFB save for gyrocopters
Don't forget about SLAYER BADGER RIDERS!!
>>
>>46267587
Aye, yeah, they have decent cavalry but not a lot of options for it. They really need it though. The dwarves have great units for the cost, they're just gimped with the lower speed and it's not like they're undead who can just spam surge.
>>
Working on a Herd army, what locale should I base it off of; India or African Savannah?
>>
>>46267693
Australlia.
>>
>>46267768
>Harpies are dropbears
>>
>>46267768
>snakes
>spiders
>scorpions
>poisonous trees
>...kangaroo-men
...ARE there kangaroo-men miniatures? I don't think Tank Girl ever got an RPG
>>
Having just finished painting up my Screaming Bell, what's the best way to represent it in a Ratkin list? A Death Engine with the firebolt upgrade? Or is there something more suitable that could be allied in from another list?
>>
>>46268101
Default Death Engine I think was intended? It's got Rallying! and the Vile Sorcery option for +40 pts, and Bloody Carnage if it's supposed to do more in charges for some reason.
>>
>>46268281
Ah see I thought it was meant to represent Doomwheels by default. Maybe that's what the crushing strength (2) upgrade thing is for.

Then again maybe something like an orc chariot or goblin slasher would be a better representation of a Doomwheel.
>>
>>46268370
> goblin slasher

Mincer, I mean.
>>
>>46268370
Doomwheel! I nearly forgot about that.

I think it's supposed to do either? I notice even though it's the Firebolt rules they bother to call it Vile Sorcery, and either way you run it has Rallying!

Strange, rickety contraptions crewed by
“volunteers”; no two are ever of the same design.
A bizarre mix of arcane science and cunning
sorcery, the Death Engine rumbles and grinds its
way through the enemy ranks striking out with
dark energies at those it cannot crush beneath its
churning wheels and spinning blades.
>>
>>46268101
Horde unit filler.
>>
>>46267768
I'd pay money to see that army.
>>
>>46271467
>>46267811
>>46267802
>>46267768
>Platypus shaman
>Huntsman Spider chaff
>Emu warriors
>Dingo Warriors
>Massive Gator beatsticks

Is a good idea.
>>
>>46272087
>Emu warriors
>Not the superior cassowary warriors
>>
page 10 bump
>>
>>46276426
>we need bumps
Sorry guys, I'd have time to paint and post if I wasn't drowning in papers to crank out.
>>
>>46272087
>Chieftain is Steve Irwin
>>
How do I get people to play KoW? It seems so much better than 9th/AoS
>>
>>46277535
Have people try it out with their fantasy armies. The nice thing is every fantasy army has a list, save Dark Elves, their still in beta.
>>
>>46276879
Don't let him fight a Niad list.
>>
>>46277652
Dark elves are technically playable and accepted at tournaments, etc as far as I know.

The only "beta" status is from them getting pulled to resculpt the models, they had an accepted 2nd edition list before any of the Uncharted Empires stuff even.

>>46277535
Show off some of the nice stuff.

Huge emphasis on flanking / manuevering
Clean LOS / Height rules
Simplified movement and charges
Random charges are a spell for shambling units, not just cavalry
List building has easy to follow but very intentional rules to cut down on stupid
Shooting / Deathstar is no longer an unbeatable list, you need to be able to maneuver
Armageddon-tier spells are no more, you need to be able to maneuver
Hero-hammer is (mostly) no more, they're all separate units which is interesting in and of itself
You can play a decent sized match in under an hour
It's designed to be played in only six turns
Said six turns probably contain more strategy and tactics than the average WHFB thanks to designing the game around killing cheese dead
>>
>>46278026
They're still "beta" because, while they have an accepted list, they still want to re-do it, hence why it wasn't printed, last I heard.
>>
>>46278095
Probably to make them more distinct with the new fluff.
>>
How useful are things like heroes and artifacts? Starting to get into the game, and not 100% on how lists should look.
>>
File: averland.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
averland.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Here's a list I put together after some advice I got in the last /kowg/ as someone looking to make the leap from Warhammer (7th) while keeping a 1:1 of my models/units between systems. Changes from the very rough list I had before include: consolidating the two troops of handgunners into one regiment so I could field the BSB (for an additional Very Inspiring model) as well as adding magic items for most units to help purpose them (and pad out points). I was going to have my very first game this weekend but my opponent was tied up for family obligations, Easter and all that. I'm still itching for first hand experience, and will hopefully be bringing a battle report and some pictures for the thread when it happens.

A lot of advice was saying not to go crazy on magic items, but consolidating the two Arquebusier troops has made me thirsty for points. Here's my logic on the ones I'm fairly married to though: Dwarven Ale on the 2h Foot Guard to simulate the "stubborn" nature of Empire Greatswords (and keep getting countercharges off after taking wounds with their lowered armour), Fire Oil to have a counter to units with Regen, Pipes of Terror to give the Knights that extra edge to make sure they Rout units they hit, Brew of Haste to give my Scouts/Pistoliers a bit more wiggle room with their pistols without having to shell out for carbines and make the most of their Nimble movement, Healing Charm to make my General simulate a Warrior Priest, and Kevinar's Flying Hammer over War-bow of Kaba because having no to-hit modifiers and Piercing (2) seems like a good trade off for the range. I imagine the BSB will be closer to the front for that 9" Very Inspiring to begin with, so 12" seems like a safe enough range for an Individual to get pot shots on units.

Those of you with actual experience let me know how this looks! Harsh criticisms welcome; I'm dying to try it out, but would like to make sure nothing is a lemon of a choice.
>>
>>46267811
>Cut the horns off a beastman figure
>Add ears and a tail with greenstuff.
>>
>>46264449
Looks like a ton of damage and not as slow as most dorfs.
>>
>>46283378
Good choices on the items actually, though extra movement on the scouts might be overkill.
Scrying Gem's usefulness is highly dependent on your opponent, you, and each of your respective lists FYI.

Overall looks alright. 1500 can do some crazy lists while 2000+ NEEDS core infantry lines, but you seem to have it well covered with infantry, cavalry, and war machines.
>>
File: 1276672257009.jpg (337KB, 791x1187px) Image search: [Google]
1276672257009.jpg
337KB, 791x1187px
>>46284820
Yeah, as the priciest item on the list, the Scrying Gem was not so much my idea as much as two anons who both basically said it was a fairly compulsory choice. I do find it to be a bit pricey for what it does, and if I dropped it might spring for a Diadem of Dragon-kind or Boomstick for the BSB over Kevinar's Flying Hammer, or other adjustments. Do my general ideas behind why I'm putting items on units work?

Specific concerns: What would be a better fit for the Mounted Scouts over Brew of Haste? Will my General get to use Healing Charm enough if I send him into combat at all, or will I be suffering for it? Would it be a waste to drop the Scrying Gem for Myrddin's Amulet of the Fire-heart and Lightning Bolt/Wind Blast?
>>
>>46183117
>>How does one speed paint gobbos? I've never been satisfied with my highlighting black with grey
So sell them to me
>>
>>46285081
Always highlight black with cream colours like bleached bone or equivalent. Does a much better job, wetbrush with just a touch mixed into black so it's just visible, then drybrush to catch the edges with 20-30% mixed with black. Did an entire Skull Pass that way, was britty gud.
>>
>>46285060
I was one of those anons. At least test it. That, the inspiring gem and the potion of the caterpillar, both in my experience and from what i've read from the wider community are considerably more powerful than the other magical items.
You also have no excuse to not take up those last 10 points with anything at all.
>>
>>46285729
>Always highlight black with cream colours like bleached bone or equivalent
deneb stone was the absolute best for this until GW stopped making it.
>>
File: simonart.jpg (30KB, 723x244px) Image search: [Google]
simonart.jpg
30KB, 723x244px
>>46285735
I'm waiting for a day that my opponent is free to test the list, like I mentioned above. I definitely see the use for the Scrying Gem, as it will give you serious set-up priority over players who do not take it, but depending on how popular it is I am trying to keep options open.

I'd have more interest in the Inspiring Talisman if I weren't Kingdoms of Men, but seeing as how it is about all my army of choice has to offer, I'm okay with letting it sit. What I wouldn't give for a Sabre-toothed Pussycat! It seems incredibly powerful at 10 points, it's a shame it is Elf specific.

Potion of the Caterpillar looks amazing and is currently in my sights as a backup item if I find that the Pipes of Terror don't do enough for the Knights or possibly even to replace that Brew of Haste if 10" move really is a waste on the Mounted Scouts.

Any other suggestions on filling out those 10 points though, since you are adamant? After all...
>>Harsh criticisms welcome

Also, does anyone know if there's a current module for KoW for VASSAL? A brief look online dredged up nothing but a lot of "I want to but can't program" forum posts and the like. My town is small and the community doesn't seem to care about KoW beyond myself and a few chums. I'd love to find some anons to play with online.
>>
>>46285060
> Scrying Gem was not so much my idea as much as two anons who both basically said it was a fairly compulsory choice.

Scrying Gem is a funny item. Some armies really don't care about it.

If your army or your opponent's army tends to deploy in a similar fashion in most games, because they have some special formation or strategy that doesn't change much based on the opponent's deployment, then the gem is worth very little. If you have a ton of drops it's not worth much either as you will probably get to deploy your hammers safely at the end.

But in games with roughly equal drops, or where you have fewer drops, and where both armies are using flexible deployments that seek to respond to their opponents, then the gem is very useful for getting the better deployment.
>>
>>46283378
>Hammer over War-bow
Individuals have Nimble, so you are trading 12" range for an extra peircing
>>
Hullo? A word of appeal to all Warhammer refugees here, and any other interested anons.

We at WHFB General are making a new periodic, currently titled "/tg/ White Dwarf", which will try to capture some of the awesomeness that White Dwarf used to be.

It's gonna be community-driven, so your input is welcome.

Also, while main focus in of WHFB, KoW is welcome too!

Thank you for your attention.

Please contribute here.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki//tg/_White_Dwarf
>>
>>46288879
Neat!
Monthly might be harder than you'd think for content.
Also check out Iron Watch, Mantic puts out their own community driven White Dwarf essentially.

Around here we usually get army pics, Your Dudes fluff, and minor tactics/strategy rundowns for new players. Tournament results and such.

It's pretty dry for meta commentary and fluff, but granted this community and game are still too new.
>>
>>46289570

Only 40k players in my area. I stopped playing that a year ago though. This game looks great, but no one near me is playing it. Oh well.

I'd have to travel to a tournament to play. I'm crazy and might do it anyways.
>>
>>46289624
>Tournament
Well, if you're willing to get curbstomped.
Granted, it will only take under two or even one hours. It is kind of refreshing to see the anything goes models armies at a WHFB tournament though, saw a lot more of that ye olden creativity in themes and sculpts.

I assume you've checked the playerfinder. It's rather sparse compared to reality.

>don't play 40k anymore
Are they at least down for killteam?
>>
>>46289675

They play 40k still; I do not. Sorry if it came out confusing. It's been mostly a time constraint issue. I have free time for now.
>>
>>46289719
Nah I mean Kill Team is a decent not-40k to use your 40k stuff for. Assuming you could find players.

I haven't played 40k in forever myself. I have mediocre memories of the slugfests between Spees Mahrines and Necrons before necrons got nerfed, and the everpresent Tau player that runs the same gunline so often you don't feel like playing against him anymore. At the end of the night I felt like I was wasting time, though it might have been the people and not the game.
>>
>>46288879
I dunno if a monthly thing will be the best, perhaps the first months if will go full steam but you only can do that much,and after the first wave the affluence of ideas/fluff/etc will drie up like all those world building settings than rarely go well after 12 threads.
>>
>>46289570
Yeah, I know there are fanzines and blogs, but we're going for broader idea.

>>46290847
Interesting, other anons told me not to get my hopes up for monthly releases, but they meant that IN THE BEGINNING there'll be little material, as people are not yet aware of the new thing. We'll see.

Maybe it will be seasonly. Dunno yet. Will see how much material people will provide.
>>
>>46172420
So I'm dissatisfied with Games Workshop's business practices and decided to switch to the cheaper minis and simpler rules of Warpath. What's the forecast on army equivalents to 40k? Any demon hordes, robo space egyptians or alien locusts?
>>
>>46293883
It's undergoing heavy revisions. Mantic is quick to put out a game but takes their time with revisions with pretty big changes. A lot of the stuff has been taken down from the store until they're done.

Basic factions are up though.
Not-Liandri Corp (Imperial guard to Space marines mix)
Rebels (Mix of aliens and Rogue Trader characters)
Orks (They're less comic relief, but just as opportunistic)
Skaven in space (New)
Dwarves in space (Squats space marines)
Space elves (Eldar/Tau mix)
Bug/insect dudes (Not yet)
The Thing infection (Tyranid/genestealers)

They'll probably expand on it if it gets off the ground more. Kings of War basically doubled in size with it's second edition.

Frankly 40k is still better in my opinion on the whole, but this has potential in the future.

> I'm dissatisfied with Games Workshop's business practices
Recasters. It's a bit of effort to get in the loop, and it can take over a month to receive, but it's well worth it usually.
Otherwise Warpath is a great source of proxies or just bits for kitbashing.
Do check out the latest beta though. Maybe on the forums, but I think someone posted a more recent version on one of these threads awhile back.
>>
>>46293883
>>46294275
The Warpath forums need a lot more playtesting reported over there. There's only been some so far, and the game has BIG balance issues right now. Especially on the mass battle side, where there's been no activity of testing, really. Though I think Firefight has the biggest balance issues right now.
>>
>>46286416
>I'd have more interest in the Inspiring Talisman if I weren't Kingdoms of Men, but seeing as how it is about all my army of choice has to offer, I'm okay with letting it sit.
I have no idea what your logic is here, inspiring talisman is even better on KoM than any other army, and it's a great item even without the extra range
>>
I've never heard people say 'boxcars' in real life, but it's fucking everywhere in KoW battle reports.
Is it an American thing?
>>
>>46296511
Aussie here, I've only heard americans say it.

I can never remember if it means double 1s or double 6s.
>>
>>46296511
Yes. A boxcar is a North American freight train car. It became a slang term in craps for double sixes, due to them looking like a pair of boxcars.
>>
>>46296588
Double ones are called Snake Eyes, for obvious reasons.
>>
File: 1357582275464.jpg (59KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1357582275464.jpg
59KB, 720x540px
>>46295335
I assumed that having two Very Inspiring characters at 1500 points was at least safe enough that I wouldn't want to use my wizard's artifact slot to bring yet more Very Inspiring to the board. All I have to go off of is what I read from perusing the army lists at the moment. I mean, as noted I've yet to have experience with the game as I'm literally on the cusp of playing a game after my opponent had to bail on me.

I'm getting an awful lot of "Don't do that!" or "Why do that?" comments, yet no one is really explaining what I should be looking to do instead, or giving any more information beyond "take item/unit x". I know that this will come across as complaining, but it really isn't my intention; I would like more information and context from experienced players is all. I hope that clears that up.

So, at 1500, 2000, and 2500 what should a list really look like? Is there a rule of thumb on amount of Inspiring to bring per 500 points or something? I understand that KoM is very far from being a specialized force, so what strengths should I try to be playing up? As it stands, I feel as if my army certainly sits on the shootier side and will benefit from Holding for the first turn or two instead of seeking out charges as fast as I can. Is this about right?
>>
>>46297172
Yes there is a rule of thumb, have 1 inspire for every 700 points (more or less).

Honestly I don't think you should follow it as a unbreakable rule, your strategy may be different, but it is wise to always have inspire at hand.
>>
>>46297172

The list you bring to the table probably won't matter too much compared to how you use it. The precise positioning and angling of your units is very important. Don't fuss about needing to get a list perfect, as long as you aren't bringing a gimmick list (like having all cavalry or something) and bring some inspiring you will have something good enough to play with.

Here are some good tactics videos to help.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJzGfYvJKlLp-ZQDWi9YhP_qTwk-E-xDC
Thread posts: 203
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.