[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jarlaxle Class?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Jarlaxle.jpg (31KB, 270x315px) Image search: [Google]
Jarlaxle.jpg
31KB, 270x315px
I'm running a campaign in the Forgotten Realms in D&D 5e, and I was thinking of including the Bregan D'aerthe in it. How would you stat and build Jarlaxle in D&D 5e?
>>
>>46164808
I wouldn't. At all.
>>
>2e Fighter
>3e Fighter
>4e Skirmisher ( = Fighter with Sneak Attack)
Fighter?
>>
>>46164931
I feel like, with his charisma, he might be a Fighter/Rogue, with combinations of Battlemaster and Swashbuckler. That's why I'm bothering to ask in the first place. Where does the Swashbuckler start, and where does the Battlemaster end? I feel like he'd be close to level 17, but I can't tell where he would stop Rogue. I'm tempted to think:

Rogue 7/Fighter 10

But I'm not entirely sure.
>>
A Battle Master with a few assassin levels, or perhaps thief levels instead.
>>
>>46164987
I like the idea of Thief, because it gives him the ability to use his magic items with a bonus action, but I also feel like he'd be great with the whole Swashbuckler thing. That's what I'm currently having trouble with.
>>
>>46165009
Splash a little of both in. The funny thing about NPCs is that you can just keep slapping levels on them until you think it's right, even if they'd be horrible as a PC.
>>
>>46165063
Battlemaster 11/Thief 7? Could go with replacing Second Story Work with Fancy Footwork? I think that could go pretty well.
>>
>>46165104
Stats for him would be...

Strength - 14[Compensating for his builD]
Dexterity - 18[20 is almost superhuman, I feel like 18 starting out is a bit more reasonable]
Constitution - 14[This is one of the ones I'm more questioning about]
Intelligence - 16[He's clearly very intelligent, and does a whole lot with his mind and tactics]
Wisdom - 15[This is lower than his Int based on his greed for magical items, and the fact that his expertises based on the Rogue Levels can make up for his build]
Charisma - 17[Easily one of the more charismatic characters in the world]
>>
>>46164808
It's also question of how Drow work in 5th as a race. IIRC they had partial Magic Resistance back in 2nd.
>>
>>46165159
Drow in 5e have:
+1 Charisma
Drow Weapon Training - Rapiers, Hand Crossbows, and Shortswords
Superior Darkvision up to 120ft
Sunlight Sensitivity - Disadvantage on perception checks in direct sunlight
Natural Magic casting with Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire, and Darkness.

Then the typical Elf Stuff, like Fey Ancestry(Advantage against being charmed, cannot be put to sleep with magic), Trance, Keen senses, and more nimbleness(+2 Dex).
>>
>>46165155
I'd say drop the con, raise the intelligence. It might not be great statistically, but it would be pretty hard to maintain the best intelligence network in the underdark if you're not incredibly intelligent yourself.
>>
>>46165204
No, that makes sense. Boosting it up to 17 or 18 would be better flavor-wise for this character.

13 in Con would be ideal, I think.
>>
If he has stats in 2e or 3e. I would just make him have the same ability scores.
>>
Found Jarlaxel's 2e Ability Scores

Str:13
Int:18
Wis:15
Dex: 20
Con:15
CH:18
>>
In another cool ability he has the power to toss 5 daggers in a single round due to his magic bracers.
>>
Here is His equipment list from 2e as well which you can modfiy or change around as you see fit for 5e.

Equipment: By most accounts, Jarlaxle
is covered head to toe by magical items. The
specifics are vague, though: his large,
many-stoned necklace might be a necklace
of missiles; his eye patch reportedly gives
him powers similar to those exhibited by a
dreaded Eye of Fear and Flame (12HD
Fireball and Fear, as the wand); his rings and
bracelets seem to offer some armor-like
protection (certainly hes not an easy one to
hit); his boots can be as silent as the best of
drow make, or as clunky as a hook horror in
a tight passage; his cape (rumors say) acts
much like a robe of scintillating colors; and
he can pull more than a rabbit from that
wondrous hat.
More is known about this odd drows
weapons. Jarlaxle specializes in a twohanded
combat style, with a rapier of
wounding (+1) as his primary weapon (+1
to hit, +2 to damage, 5/2 attacks due to
specialization), and a main gauche (rumored
to be a blade of life stealing) +2. Like his eye
patch, he shifts these weapons from hand to
hand, sometimes leading with his left,
sometimes his right. Under the sleeve of his
left wrist, he keeps a strange bracer, from
which he can remove and hurl five
throwing daggers (+4) in a single round
(once/turn).
On his belt Jarlaxle wears the most-hated
of all magical items in Menzoberranzan, a
wand of illumination. He also keeps a pouch
of holding on his jewelled belt, filled with
light pellets and time bombs. (It is believed
he got the devious bombs from Gromph
Baenre.)
>>
>>46167003
Nice find. The major surprise is that strength is his lowest score, but that does make a certain degree of sense for a finesse fighter.

>>46166728
5e stats as a whole tend to be a little higher than those in 2e and much, much lower than 3e. An 18 in one edition isn't exactly the same as an 18 in another, though they do try to keep the base 10 to mean the same thing.

But, looking at his 2e stats, they seem to work well for a high level character.
>>
Also yes Jarlaxle is 17th level for his stats. And 13 Strength is still much better then the average drow.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.