[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meeting people to play MTG with IRL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_m43uvdKc5J1rwon1ko1_1280.jpg (148KB, 620x458px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m43uvdKc5J1rwon1ko1_1280.jpg
148KB, 620x458px
Guys I need your advice to help me to meet people to play MTG with IRL.

There are two LGS were they still (everything seems to be Yugioh nowadays) play MTG near where I live, but there are two things...

1) I don't want to get absolutely fucking destroyed by a guy with a netdeck deck worth $1200 in turn 1

and

2) I don't want to get shit on just because a play mostly for fun I have a "semi-competitive" mid range zombie deck (mostly based in innistrad era), I'm open to improvement, but it's just not my priority, I just wanna have fun

So, how do I approach people? (they always seem to come in packs of close-ups groups), and how can I spot the players with more timmy-esque attitudes?

Thanks you reading
>>
File: 1448487840006.jpg (98KB, 610x894px) Image search: [Google]
1448487840006.jpg
98KB, 610x894px
Bumping with anime tiddies
>>
Play EDH, and most groups are happy to play as long as you don't have any crippling social issues and you smell fine
>>
>>46110222
So let me summarize your post.
The only way to have fun is the way you play and only if you win can you have fun.

>So, how do I approach people?
By talking to them.

>how can I spot the players with more timmy-esque attitudes?
they have little antennas coming out of their ears.
>>
File: 1458255260922.jpg (264KB, 1142x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1458255260922.jpg
264KB, 1142x1320px
>>46110743
This kind of Antenna?
>>
Siege Rhino is overrated
>>
>>46110222
It's pretty damn clear you've never been to an LGS, this may be shocking but everything /tg complains about LGSes is barely. They are full of normal people who play games to have fun. If your LGS has some fedoralord who shits on you for running a bad deck avoid him, if he's that obnoxious complain to the owner, if that fails find a new LGS
>>
OP, the only thing I will say to you is this.

Stop being a faggot and go play. You want to make friends? You've got to put yourself out there. Come up against a netdeck? Too bad, shit happens.

If you give up at the first sign of trouble then you don't want it enough. If it really bothers you that much do what >>46110732 says and play EDH. If you don't have an EDH deck, build one. Then go play.
>>
>>46110222

> 1) I don't want to get absolutely fucking destroyed by a guy with a netdeck deck worth $1200 in turn

Play draft/sealed, evens the playing field

> 2) I don't want to get shit on just because a play mostly for fun I have a "semi-competitive" mid range zombie deck (mostly based in innistrad era), I'm open to improvement, but it's just not my priority, I just wanna have fun

Most of the people at my LGSs are pretty bro tier, we do have a couple shitters and tryhards but they're ignored mostly.

We try to be as inviting as possible and love playing with new people. All of my group has tons of decks of varying power level and formats, and we try to match what we're playing as best we can with what we brought that day. But /tg/ makes me think my LGS is the exception

There's going to be a prerelease soon, that's the best time to meet and play MTG imo. I suggest going and just relax and don't worry if you don't do great. Just think of it as a way to meet new people and feel out the environment. If you meet anyone that seems cool enough, just ask them in between rounds if they have a casual deck, or for deck advice.

Good luck
>>
>>46110222
Play Edh and draft
>>
File: 1443765407861.png (389KB, 899x870px) Image search: [Google]
1443765407861.png
389KB, 899x870px
>>46110222
>I don't want to get absolutely fucking destroyed by a guy with a netdeck deck worth $1200 in turn 1

>being a timmy faggot
>thinking you will lose turn 1

Just hang out around the shop and talk with people fucking autist. I have been to 10 different card shops and within 30 min of being there someone comes up and asks me if I want to play. Mtg is a social game.
>>
>>46112597
>>46114317
>play draft

I wouldn't recommend draft for new players. desu be honest sealed is a better format, and pre-release sealed is the best imho (in my honest opinion.
>>
>>46115022
I think everyone's first draft is gonna be pretty awful really but you learn from it. It levels everyone on the playing field though. I think limited is one of the better environments for newer players wanting an outlet to play for fun or compete.

The problem with sealed is that it is less common to hold a sealed event than it is to fire up a draft. Otherwise I would recommend sealed over draft all day everyday.
>>
>>46115705
>I think everyone's first draft is gonna be pretty awful

Idk my first draft was with m12 and I got passed 3 incinerates, so I played GR midrange stompy bloodthirsters and went 4-0

but then again I did draft a core set which I believe is much more simpler than themed sets
>>
>>46115705
What is sealed? I know what draft is but I thought they were the same thing
>>
File: COBRA KAI WAY.jpg (77KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
COBRA KAI WAY.jpg
77KB, 625x468px
>>46110222
>I just wanna have fun

Holy shit nigger, what are you doing?

If you show up with a substandard deck, you deserve every single anal fuck you'll get.
>>
>>46115893
Sealed is you get packs and build a deck with your pulls. No passing like in draft. Usually you get like six packs as well opposed to the three in draft.

Prerelease events are sealed.
>>
Thanks for all the good advice guys

I will try some of the things posted ITT
>>
>>46110222
If you want to play casually for fun, you do it with friends at home. In public venues like stores people tend to bring their A-game because you can't count on everyone having the same opinions as you about what constitutes fun in a competitive game.

It doesn't make them assholes, it's just the way it is.

You don't show up to a wedding in casual wear unless it's been specifically agreed on in advance, you try to look sharp. It's common sense.

Expecting people to play casually is like expecting them to have the same house-rules as you.
>>
>>46115022
>go to draft as fresh noob
>spend $12 for a night of fun, don't have to worry about deck tiers or metas or formats
>people will help you construct and give you pointers
>lose all 4 rounds, but at least you got some cards out of it

Kill yourself, draft is objectively the best format
>>
>>46119563
I'm OP and I have a powerful Ravager-Affinity deck at home, but I got tired of it!

I just wanted to play with my tribal Zombie deck...
I haven't played MTG in many years, maybe that is what triggered my inner timmy
>>
>>46110732

My roommate and I went to our FLGS with our EDH decks, sat down near some guys prepping for D&D, and asked if anyone wanted to join us. Started a four man game in under 10 minutes and had ourselves a grand old time.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.