[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SS13: DEHUMANIaE YOURSELF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 39

Welcome to d20Station.

BYOND Download link: http://www.byond.com/download/

To connect: Open BYOND, click the gear in the upper right. Click "Open Location" and paste in the IP below. Click "Ok", or place the ip into your browser.
byond://76.16.8.127:28014
alt: byond://d20station.ddns.net:28014

>What the fuck is Space Station 13
A top down atmospherics simulator with a "whodunit" on top. Survive in the station and do your department's job, while fixing the problems that the antagonists cause.

>How the fuck do I play this game? I keep hitting myself with things.
Use OOC and ask someone for help on how to play. People will almost always help you get a grip of the game if you're polite about it, just don't reveal too much in-round information in OOC.
other information can be found on the wiki. http://robustvinyl.com/ss13/wiki/
>>
>DEHUMANIaE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED doesnt come through properly
>>
Quick, list your ideas for a new job/type of job!
>>
File: chen shift.png (98KB, 437x597px) Image search: [Google]
chen shift.png
98KB, 437x597px
>>46095146
detective
>>
>>46095146
bureaucrat
someone who handles all the paperwork
>>
>>46095321
please
>>
did some more stuff for cargo:

fixed runtimes being thrown when clicking "view requests" on the supply/order comps when the requestlist was empty
manifests can now be copied (only the ordernum is carried over)
centcom will now suspect clerks for tampering and request a copy of a received manifest
if you send the copy on the shuttle's trip back you get 1 points, if you don't you lose 2 points
if centcom catches a clerk you get extra points
did some more improvements to the supplycomp interface
fixed two bugs on the matter replicator
copiers can now take a folder as input, allows you to copy all the papers on it in one click. You get a free folder out of it
centcom now processes manifests inside folders
supply terminal now prints a list of the orders due for arrival and the centcom message, spawns with a folder
flights now have a number, folders are named with this number
photocopiers now just take from the inklevel of a toner cartridge
>>
>>46097588
hot damn yer actually doing good work
now fluff up medical like you have cargo and we will be in business
>>
>>46098240
>now fluff up medical
elaborate
>>
>>46098589
more buttons to click
you seem like you have a special productive kind of tism i'm sure you will figure something cool out.
>>
>>46098589
Rework Genetics and Virology
>>
File: 1457325041802.png (409KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1457325041802.png
409KB, 540x540px
>>46098240
medical fags please go
>>46098858
viro/genetic/selfmaiming for buffs fag please go
>>
>>46099643
>viro/genetic/selfmaiming for buffs fag please go
what do you have against buffs?
>>
File: 1457817807322.gif (425KB, 1221x850px) Image search: [Google]
1457817807322.gif
425KB, 1221x850px
>>46099748
the fact that people need to maim themselves to get ridiculous buffs or lock themselves in genetics until they get superpowers which then they use to bother literally everyone while screaming they dindu nuffin
>>
>>46099844
that's oddly specific
are you sure you aren't just sore from one person doing something ages ago?
Not everyone is a shitter, freeman, compared to all the people that still play, you are the biggest shitter
>>
>>46098784
but playing medical is just slapping people with the analyzer, stuffing them into the sleeper and injecting them with the dope they need
what do I streamline in that process?
>>46098858
genetics and viro are jobs you do once during the round
you get the superpowers and you're done with genetics. you get the positive (or negative if tator) combo of symptoms and you're done with viro

is there any button clicking that's too tedious that maybe I can look at or should the job just be reduced further to "click button to get buffs"?
>>
>>46101006
Yeah medical is lame and also only fags use the sleeper
make it so we have to press more buttons
maybe if a person is injured past being bruised bruisepacks shouldn't work
maybe if a nigger has taken enough tox damage to down an elephant he needs a blood transfusion and not some anti toxin
maybe if some nigger has been burned over 90% of his body a skin graft would heal him instead of some ointment

also gentic/augfags need not apply
>>
>>46101056
>false difficulty and obtusiveness
no
>>
>>46101109
>completely shallow contentless medical system
also no
at the very fucking least if you get a bullet to the can we have surgery to remove it before we decide to put a bandaid over the hole and call it good?
>>
>>46101138
>a bullet to the
chest
a bullet to the chest dammit.
>>
>>46101138
how many times have I told you that medical stuff is already being worked on
either stop complaining about it or just leave because I am quite tired of complaints from someone who has absolutely terrible ideas
>>
>>46101243
As one of the three people left on this server I feel I have the right to vent.
>>
>>46101273
no
>>
>>46101273

Post your ckey

Everyone who complains about something has to post ckey or they're just shitposting

This is official now
>>
>>46101355

This is 4chan, anonymity is supposed to matter.
>>
>>46101355
no
>>46101450
yes, but a samefag could blow issues out of proportion
>>
>>46101543

I'll blow your issues out of proportion ;)
>>
I propose a new hat.
>>
Gonna have to agree with whoever said it earlier that stamina is currently awful
>>
>people still play on this server

lmao
>>
>>46102394
>implying people play on this server
You haven't been around recently have you?
>>
>>46102356
then say what is wrong with it
>>
>>46103144

>swing a weapon ten times and pass out for 20 seconds

It's just unreasonable. It feels clunky and unnecessary.
>>
>>46103401
what are you swinging at that you're having an issue

people take stamina damage from getting hit as well
>>
>>46103495
Probably the biggest issue people are having is that stamina damage and health damage are tied together, so even weapons with high damage and low knockforce would deal about the same damage as a weapon on the opposite end of the spectrum, so someone taking 15 points of damage and 5 points of stamina loss will still drop about 20 points of health, while the attacker would lose say 5-10 points depending on the weapon. So I imagine people are getting frustrated with getting hit a few times and taking one or two swings at their attacker and falling over unconscious.
>>
>>46103495

A mutant spacecarp

It doesn't feel right that your own attacking can push you over the edge and make you pass out, because all its doing is discouraging actually fighting back against something or someone, but your movement also slows when you take damage as well, so it feels like combat has just skewed more in favor of the guy with superior damage output, armor, and/or HP rather than encouraging intelligence in a fight

This is, of course, my opinion
>>
>>46103715
>>46103602
but have you guys fought anything since I changed that
>>
>>46103715
Well what you said wasn't too far off for how it ends up, considering stamina loss will drop your health further and slow you down even more. From my experience the fire axe can put you into unconsciousness with three swings if you try and fight back against the attacker.
>>
>>46103754
I got into a fight with Tim in the bridge, two axe swings from him and two swings from me put me on the ground out cold. Hell how much knockforce does the fire axe have anyways?
>>
>>46103762
At least you regenerate some health while you're unconcious. Saved my ass more than once.
>>
>>46103798
True, but while you're on the ground it's a pretty negligible amount, and it probably won't save you from another player considering you make a loud snoring noise.
>>
>>46103495
i've been avoiding juggling any changes at all to the melee system because stamina seems to be far too agressive and just instead opted to throw floor tiles at people and stick around them like they were on nox pre-nerf since now they're pretty much the easy answer to kill anything with minimal risk to yourself
>>
the best feature of stamina is if your opponent ever considers mercy, they can just leave you on the ground to take a timeout

>>46103846
does throwing not use stamina at the moment? that's pretty nice to know
>>
>>46103846
hm, I guess it'd be a good idea to put some stamina on throwing too, I'll have to put some thought into that.

>>46103786
the fire axe is pretty brutal
(E) (C) (M) kforce_unwielded = 5
(E) (C) (M) kforce_wielded = 20
(E) (C) (M) force_unwielded = 5
(E) (C) (M) force_wielded = 24
>>
>>46103879
Stamina is also a bit wonky, going on harm intent and shooting someone from a tile away drops stamina, not sure if just shooting will tire you out.
>>
>>46103754

I fought the carp about an hour ago so unless you implemented changes before this shift started then yes I have

The carp didn't even physically injure me that badly
>>
>>46103913
>24 brute
>20 knockforce
holy shit how much of that is translated into stamina damage?
>>
>>46103953
knockforce = stamina damage
in an active fight that's effectively 44 damage, though. 5 hits to die if i'm reading other posts right
>>
>>46104005
If it's a 1:1 ratio it'll only take 3 hits to effectively incapacitate a 100% healthy person, god help them if they take a swing or were hurt earlier in the shift.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7119441
>>
>>46104161

It's not a flawed premise, but currently it needs work
>>
>>46104161
Removing the stamina system wouldn't be much better, it'd just put it back to the old system of people clonking eachother on the head with toolboxes for 5 minutes before one of them falls over, stamina at the moment makes them both fall over in three hits. What I think would be a better option would be to add a winded state if your stamina hits zero where you perform actions slower and hit a bit weaker, but you don't fall asleep on the spot.
>>
>>46104232
Oh and maybe add a higher chance to get KO'd or knocked down from being exhausted
>>
File: 1458278898134.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1458278898134.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>be d20 dev
>think about what i can do to improve the server
>oh i know
>i'll add a system that makes the already inferior melee system totally useless
>listen to no criticisms about said flawed system
you've gone to far this time mister nernums
>>
>>46104269
rng is something that should be avoided whenever possible
>>
>>46104271
Well shit man at least he made an attempt, least that's better than you shitposting about how terrible the system is while not putting forward any ideas.
>>
>>46104179
Yeah, I was going to add a
>No, it just needs some work
choice, but I thought that would split the votes to much.
>>
>>46104307

RNG is not a bad thing by itself, RNG keeps battles from becoming the same thing over and over again, it just needs to be kept well in hand so that it's not retarded like those natural 20 threads you see on /tg/ sometimes
>>
File: 1458092250802.jpg (24KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
1458092250802.jpg
24KB, 229x343px
>>46104320
>you tried mentality
>>
>>46103953
how it breaks down currently is, swinging and being attacked both use stamina, but swinging uses much less
if armor does not manage to fully block the attack you take the full stamina damage, whatever it might be, which is not intended behaviour, thats a mistake I think, but I have high doubts anyone has been fighting in decent armor regardless. (also mobs don't do stamina damage so they're mostly unaffected aside from the stamina from swings.)
the fireaxe is a particularly special case, most weapons are not any where near as strong as that.

swinging currently does 6+ the w_class, and that is also the amount of time between attacks.
so lighter weapons can attack faster

I think I should probably pull it away from being affected by health, at all, the regeneration is already affected by nutrition and sleep.

>>46104161
I wouldn't be removing it regardless of your proxy polls.

>>46104271
post ckey
>>
File: 1458211384556.jpg (33KB, 466x562px) Image search: [Google]
1458211384556.jpg
33KB, 466x562px
>>46104339
there's no difference between a battle with RNG and a battle without RNG except that in the ones with RNG the game decides if it wants to fuck you over or not

things that aren't random in nature (i.e random events) shouldn't have any need of the prob() proc
>>
>>46104397
whoops I meant things that are random are the only things that need the prob() proc
>>
>>46104339
It also removes and element of skill from the game
Things like random crits in multiplayer games are the worst thing invented by mankind after astv

>>46104387
>I wouldn't be removing it regardless of your proxy polls.
I just wanted to get a reading on the general opinion
I seriously doubt anyone would go to through amount of trouble
>>
>>46104481
>would go to through amount of trouble
Well I fucked that up
I meant would go through that amount of trouble
>>
Was rejuvibatibg the thread with quality discussion part of your plan?
>>
>>46104583
>rejuvibatibg
What did he mean by this?
>>
Maybe just an increase to stamina? Double or even triple the amount you have and reduce the recover rate by the same factor.
Buff NL bullets to stay effective though.
>>
>>46104611
Rejuvinating
Who paid you to temporarily replace my n key with a b key!?
>>
>>46104481

I don't think RNG removes skill, it makes it so that skill and equipment are not the end-all be-all of combat

Real battle is unpredictable and if every battle boils down to just "Freeman is more robust than the new guy and has a gun so new guy dies gg no re" then there's no fun in it

Likewise, it teaches experienced players to stay on their toes

I'm not advocating for shit like sometimes you miss an attack due to RNG or critical hits or anything like that (even though that's /tg/ as fuck), but things like having damage ranges rather than set damage values makes things at least a little bit more interesting

>>46104397

Combat is rarely deterministic in the real world and there's hundreds of variables and factors in a one-on-one duel that need to be taken into consideration that could give the advantage to one party or the other
>>
File: 1458141065662.jpg (207KB, 692x960px) Image search: [Google]
1458141065662.jpg
207KB, 692x960px
>>46104664
>circumvent the problem
???
>>
File: 1458236898971.jpg (218KB, 700x699px) Image search: [Google]
1458236898971.jpg
218KB, 700x699px
>>46104694
and combat right now isn't deterministic it just somewhat predictable if you know what you're getting into
I could accidentally do something stupid, someone could come from somewhere else, a trap could have been laid in advance, or I could disconnect for some reason or other. Tons of factors already go into a fight and adding minor RNG stuff doesn't really shift the fight in any direction besides the bullshit direction when someone smacks you for full damage every time and you do minimal damage every time.
Right now, lucky knockdowns or unconscious smacks are the literal bane of anyone's existence and it's why everyone reacts strongly to an attack on them, because 99% of the time if some new guy starts wailing on you with a crowbar and you ask him to stop, then he keeps doing it, he's going to get a chain of 10 knockdowns on you and will beat you into a bloody pulp well after you died, and there's nothing you can do about it.
It doesn't do anything to experienced players but punish them for being hit at the wrong millisecond the code was processing. This is something i'd staunchly avoid trying to implement in any format since there's already enough variables involved in a fight without just throwing prob checks into the mix.
>>
>>46104697
I play a different game where you can exhaust your character. People just used time between attacks to recover the lost stamina and hardly ever dealt with long term effects of stamina use. So the devs made you recover stamina more slowly but also gave you a bigger pool of it. This had the desired effect of people using their stamina in a short burst and then spent time doing tasks that didn't require stamina.

Maybe the same thing could happen in this situation? So that people can smash through a window without a nap in the middle but this makes them vunerable for quite a while.
>>
>>46104481

It does not 'remove' elements of skill from a game. No skill-based component is missing or neglected as a result of the existence of a RNG component.

The only way for RNG to reduce skill elements is that if it is sufficiently extreme that the skill component of a skill-based test becomes less important to the total outcome of a gameplay moment or the game session than the numbers thrown. This is very rare, and usually only occurs in games where RNG is so fundamental to design that without the RNG elements there is no game.

RNG also adds skill requirements for medium and long term success by requiring the player to better understand and manage their resources and risk. RNG systems that are designed to the acceptable minimum standard require the player to adequately understand their risks, their prospects of success based on the rolls and their own personal ability, the potential outcomes of every possible result, and to calculate the preferred approaches to any given situation. Risk management is a skill component that applies to every RNG system that does not come down to a single roll to win or lose the game.

The RNG elements that reduce the value of skill are solely the badly designed elements. All forms of RNG introduce new skills and routines of optimisation to the player.

Your statement is only true insofar as a very poor RNG element can reduce to the total value of skill to success weighting in some occasions across multiple games.
>>
>>46103786
I remember the fight (I got fucked by fatigue too), but I don't think I used the axe (Kath grabbed that), I was using syndie pom-poms because that's what the bundle gods gave me.
>>
File: 1458255509865.jpg (174KB, 1170x794px) Image search: [Google]
1458255509865.jpg
174KB, 1170x794px
I'll throw in my opinion about stamina I guess

Taking a look at knockforce values would be a start
The part I hate the most is passing out.
My suggestion is removing passing out and replacing it with something else. Maybe once you're stamina is gone you can no longer perform any tasks which use knockforce, so you'd be able to fire guns, heal wounds, eat and run at a very slow speed? Perhaps also make it that once you're at zero stamina if someone uses grab intent you won't be able to move/break free?

Also stamina replenishing items? Coffee, soft drinks, energy bars ect.

Does using a shield to block attacks cost stamina?
>>
Passing out is a pain yeah. The most annoying aspect for me so far isn't linked to fighting other players (once or twice I've kinda got a surprise on someone because usually collapsed people don't get up again), but fighting other mobs (spiders come to mind as the case I'm thinking of). Collapsing while fighting spiders because of stamina, to then end up dying because poison still ticks on, is a pain.
>>
File: 1457309457398.gif (1MB, 640x477px) Image search: [Google]
1457309457398.gif
1MB, 640x477px
>>46104918
>now I always have to make sure that I stomp a fight so badly that I have 0% chance to loose so I don't get borked by RNG
pls
it's not going to happen
>>
>>46104928
Nah you hit me with with the axe before I disarmed you and started whacking you with it, then you pulled out the pom-poms while I ran to heal my ass while everyone whaled on you.
>>
>>46105025
Damn Freeman, I bet you hate games like FTL, you /egg/man nerd
>>
>>46105310
I hate games that make me loose despite me having an objectively winning hand

it's a different story if it only appears to be a winning hand on my part, but I couldn't play more than a few hours of any of my 7.62 high calibre saves because all of the combat is RNG based as fuck ignoring the fact the game is clunky and glitchy as hell too
>>
>>46105381
Frohman all you gotta do is outmaneuver and put your guys in superior positions to riggity rek the badmans, although the horrible clunkiness and glitches are definitely a problem of the game.
>>
>>46105025

Requiring a 0% chance to lose to feel 'fair' is bordering on the fanciful.

In any strongly RNG influenced game, especially the turn-based strategies that are fundamentally based on resource/risk management, the scenarios in which you truly are fucked over independently of your skill input are extremely rare.

Taking Darkest Dungeon and XCOM (recent), both recent, well-known extremely integrated RNG games notorious for 'fucking players over', I've played at least 200 battles in each. For my own amusement, I run leapfrogging saves so that if I ever have a party wipe, I can restore the last and see whether I can change the outcome in just the turn or two where it goes wrong. XCOM was good for this with ironman mode, because it is seeded so you can perfectly replicate the RNG rolls.

In that time, I have had exactly three battles in which my loss was completely out of my power to change, two of which are arguable because I could have acted less aggressively much earlier.

The only exception was a DD on the titular map where in my third fight I rolled seventeen misses in a row on rolls between 85-95%. This was pure RNG bullshit, but it is hardly a likely outcome given it is as likely s me winning every lottery.
>>
>>46105381
RNG is so you can't have an objectively winning hand.
>>
>try to toss some soda cans and stuff into the trash bag loaded on the janicart
>accidentally pour the remaining stuff in them into the water reservoir
>now every time I mop a floor whatever mixture of reagents is in the mop now reacts

Would be nice if someone could insert a clause for the janicart's code that makes it so trash items with reagents in them empty the reagents into nothing rather than mixing it into the water supply
>>
File: 1457473981378.jpg (44KB, 415x328px) Image search: [Google]
1457473981378.jpg
44KB, 415x328px
>>46105624
rng won't change the fact that you have or have not an objectively winning hand, it just takes your winning hand and says "yeah guy not this time"
>>46105510
the problem being is in ambush scenarios the niggers just camp the exits and all play defensively, and as soon as you go to an exit you'll get flanked by everyone else in the sector. Half the time one of your squad mates will take a grazing shot and go into shock and bleed out, and the other half you'll wipe the floor with everyone
>>46105540
in XCOM you need RNG mechanics or else you could just take your turn to line up a shot and get 100% chances to hit all day
bullshit rolls do happen and i'd rather avoid them
>>
File: fastntnig.png (52KB, 249x238px) Image search: [Google]
fastntnig.png
52KB, 249x238px
>>46104583
>>46104611
spalng

>>46104853
yeah that's likely more of what it should be shooting for I think.

>>46104938
interesting thought there.
there are actually some weapons that dont have knockforce, perhaps I should use the knockforce in the calculation instead of the items size

shields currently do not use stamina I believe, but are directional

>>46105540
>save scummers arguing for rng being good
yeah I guess when you just randomize it until you like the results
>>
>>46105917
But the question is, will using knockforce instead of item size improve the "Lol I fall down and slep" problem?
>>
>>46106558
nah that'd be changed otherwise.
>>
Tell me about nernums, why does he love the quack?
>>
>>46104397
What game is this? I looks interesting.
>>
>>46106791
DCS World
Free on steam
>>
>>46106784
he also likes to shekel maniacally and has been acting irresponsible on ebay lately
>>>/o/14667787

the wenk sound at the start is from duck game though, fantastic fun.
>>
crazy thought for a moment
what if we removed default backpacks, and made uniforms do most of the carrying.
>>
>>46108185
So anything that could "realistically" fit in one hand like money, a wallet, an energy cell or anything that could fit in a pocket could be carried without a bag, whereas bigger one handed items such as lasers and most weapons would need a bag?
>>
>>46108471
more or less I suppose yeah, from there be able to make a difference between backpackss and satchels as well.
>>
>>46108185
Maybe that, and backpacks carry more, but take a second to access? And satchels are a bit smaller but quicker to access?
>>
>>46105381
Losing despite having an objectively winning hand is called "life"
>>
>>46109224
>Strip off uniform
>Have to collect all of your equipment individually.

Disregarding that, it's a bad idea. The slots we have now are done, but backpack has a clear association with "carry stuff in it" than some random assortment of varied pockets. I can't think of any advantage to using the uniform in favor of a backpack, and quite a few disadvantages. It sounds like "changing things to change things", to me.
>>
>>46110979
>>46108185
How about we allow uniforms to have contents.
So if you strip a uniform from someone, the objects don't fall off, but remain inside the uniform instead.
>>
>>46108185
What about making it so you need to have the backpack in a hand to access it?
>>
>>46108185
How about the ability to hide something up your sleeve?
>>
List Ideas for new Carp Variants
>>
File: mistake.png (3MB, 4096x3008px) Image search: [Google]
mistake.png
3MB, 4096x3008px
>>46106784
because he's a quack like lone lee
>>
Why don't people call the shuttle when engineering looks like this?
>>
>>46113115
WE BUILD
>>
File: 1385162181947.gif (507KB, 895x505px) Image search: [Google]
1385162181947.gif
507KB, 895x505px
>tfw the station's current name doesn't display anywhere anymore
>tfw it's impossible to tell if a cargo manifest is faulty for that reason anymore
>>
>>46113214
add the station name on the new list that gets printed?
>>
>>46113232

That'd work probably
>>
new round in 5 minutes, get in here
>>
>>46097588
You like folders, I take it?
>>
File: like this.png (71KB, 805x742px) Image search: [Google]
like this.png
71KB, 805x742px
>>46113272
how's this?
>>
>>46113322

Looks fine to me
>>
>>46113321
seemed like a logical step to make paperwork less tedious
my workflow was pick up the new folder with the orders list in it, check if centcom wanted a copy of an older manifest, look it up (if they're all named folder it's a pain to look it up in the filing cabinet), walk over to the shuttle, stamp the manifests and store them in the folder. then I'd make a copy of the folder, store the copy in the filing cabinet and send the original back to centcom
>>
>>46101006
Idea:
Introduce flaws that players have a chance to spawn with, which the genetics can remove.
Do the same with diseases, and make virology more vital in detecting diseases (so you just don't walk up to a doctor, they scan you and give you a dose of whatever you need)
>>
>>46113365

How about a flaw called Two Left Hands, where your active hand switches randomly every couple of minutes or something
>>
How would you rework Genetics and Virology?
>>
>>46113365
>Introduce flaws that players have a chance to spawn with, which the genetics can remove.
if genetics can then so can ryetalyn (or whatever its called)
if ryetalyn can't; then a clean SE syringe would do the job
>make virology more vital in detecting diseases
I guess removing the "possible cure: X" from the health analyzer would do this?
>>
File: 1370356101062.gif (982KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1370356101062.gif
982KB, 320x287px
>>46113300
>Error setting up secret. Reverting to pre-game lobby.
>>
Did that tickets and prize vendor thing ever end up going anywhere?
>>
File: 1458368041066.jpg (204KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1458368041066.jpg
204KB, 640x480px
>>46110935
this is a videogame you faggot
>>46113365
the first idea just punishes people for no reason and theres not always genetics or medical around to heal them
the second just makes viruses even more of a pain in the ass to cure
>>
>>46114461
>the second just makes viruses even more of a pain in the ass to cure
that's kind of the point
maybe make people carriers? they could infect other people but the chance is way smaller than actually being sick.
the only way to find out if someone is a carrier is by running their blood through a series of blood tests. the blood tests just consist of dropping possible cures onto blood and waiting for a reaction.
then that person needs to process a lot of that reagent for a long period of time
>>
>>46113115
>TEG loops almost entirely intact
Easily fixed
>>
File: 1457737175384.gif (562KB, 249x200px) Image search: [Google]
1457737175384.gif
562KB, 249x200px
>>46114665
well then you have to start searching every un-infected crew member for a carrier agent and it just prolongs the process of curing the outbreak even more, not to mention however many infected people there are

let's be real here, diseases spread WAY too fucking easily right now. There is pretty much zero hope of actually containing an outbreak of retrovirus because that dickhead will never come to medbay to get help before he goes around and hugs everyone on board, or in the case of dorf, someone that's standing on the same tile as ten other people will get infected and turn the entire thing into a trainwreck.

I wouldn't be opposed to making the chance of contracting a disease a lot wider, so some things like maginitus or brain rot don't spread so quickly, while other probably-annoying-but-not-terribly-lethal infections can spread quickly
>>
>>46114970

Actually deadly viruses are so rare that nerfing them seems like putting the cart before the horse

I don't know how long its been since I saw a virologist actually make a virus that can even deal damage to a crewmember, the best you can get is the samples of premade viruses shipped in virus crates that have symptoms you can't mutate into existence
>>
>>46114970
what I meant was: give some people carrier at round start. this will cause occasional outbreaks that need to be dealt with.
to fix outbreaks from occurring a virologist would need to do some serious work
>>
>People who start a round then leave without calling the shuttle
Why do people do such things?
>>
>>46117095
>>46117095
Autism?
Stupidity?
A sudden case of diarrhea?
>>
>>46117964
A little bit of Column A, a little bit of Column B (And C in this case)
>>
Here's a better question, how would you expand on Virology, Genetics and Medical to make it more complex and fun?
>>
>>46118798
>Virology
Mezzo proposed something, a long time ago. Make disease endurance, transmission, and symptoms each relate to different chunks of viral DNA made of sub-blocks, then it's up to the virologist to mutate each section down certain paths or combinations to try and build a virus he wants. Includes some way to swap blocks around between viruses like modern genetic engineering.

I imagine a similar thing might be possible with human genetics if the virology framework got implemented and could be stolen.

MY memory is hazy on this, by the by.
>>
Splicing Fruits when?
>>
>>46118798
cant really do much with virology it's just bad, would need an entire gut out and redo.

genetics is just a matter of more powers and stuff
medical in general though, it's a matter of wounds and stuff, which are essentially either rng or hardsim, mostly combat affecting stuff.
I've wanted for quite some time to have an allergy system involved, with the information being available on medical computers as well as each players own memory of their allergies. But the end result of even that is 'haha woops i guess i died from eating a chocolate bar right from the machine' unless i worked in a traits system which is an even bigger game changer
>>
unban me
>>
>>46119703
o k f r i e n d
>>
>>46119665
>Traits System
I like the sound of this, makes characters more special and unique.
>>
>>46119830
>encouraging more snowflake wankery
that is why baystation became what it did, too many faggots thinking they were super special and throwing shitfits when someone else concussively explained why that was not true
>>
>>46119934
Do they even have traits?
>>
>>46119934

The execution is more important than the idea

Besides, even if we attracted the baystation total nerd audience, at least we'd have a playerbase again
>>
File: 1342682128747.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1342682128747.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>46119934
it depends on the traits in all honesty
the main problem is that they'd be things that would need to be minor enough effects to be balanced, but good enough to matter, and be heavily integrated into the systems to work when they need to.

and generally it's just a set and forget for whatever the person thinks is the most op.
>>
>>46120003
If we attract Baystationfags and become a furry ERP server, then we might as well have joined fucking Baystation.

I much prefer /int/ server idea, especially if we have accent traits.
>>
>>46120073

That's false, even if we end up having the same players as Baystation, our code is still better thanks to Nernums and Mezzo and etc. etc. might as well just paste the staff list at this point

pls notice me Nernums-rama-sama
>>
>>46120073
Even then, at this point I'm not even sure what's worse, the dank memelords that make up most of the regular population at this point, or the autists that make up Baystation's crew
>>
>>46120159
At least memelords do something besides ERP and disconnect, we disconnect because NOPLAYERS
>>
>>46120188
And yet when the memelords stick around they do jack shit except spawn in as "Donald T." build a wall around arrivals and then disconnect when they get bored.
>>
you want players?
fuck you, i will be on server in about an hour and waiting for people to join for at least 4 hours
you'd better not disappoint me
>>
>>46120291

I'll be there in ~2 or 3 hours, broheim

Let's fucking do this
>>
Me and Aiden are on the server right now waiting for nerds to join. So come and join you quacks.
>>
>6 people online
where are YOU?
>>
>>46121488
Maybe more.
Imagine
>>
File: yay.png (87KB, 333x282px) Image search: [Google]
yay.png
87KB, 333x282px
>KK is online
>>
Got on this for the first time to see whats up with this game. Decided to be a ghost to observe and try and learn but connection keeps timing out. Is this something I can expect to see continue if I were to play for real?
>>
>>46122333
I'd advise to make an account, I've noticed that people seem to have trouble with guest accounts logging them out while observing when they switch processes on some operating systems.
>>
>>46122383
Is that an account in the d20 server or one in BYOND? All I've seen is it telling me to buy a membership to avoid ads.
>>
rinks:
Burning Man (2 Classic Martini, 1 welding fuel)
Cartographer's Creativity (3 vodka, 3 coffee)
Mochalua (3 hot choc, 3 kahlua)
Nothing (1 sips fedora, 1 holy water)
Sips Fedora (1 manly dorf, 1 space mountain wind, 1 wine)
Virgin Whiskey Cola (1 nothing, 1 cola)
Food:
Butter (40 cream, 5 enzyme catalyst)
Margerine (40 corn oil, 5 enzyme catalyst)
Spray Bread (1 nutriment, 1 flour, 1 carbon, 2 oxygen = 3 units)
Spray Cheese (1 nutriment, 1 milk, 1 carbon, 2 oxygen = 3 units)
Spray Meat (1 nutriment, 1 blood, 1 carbon, 2 oxygen = 3 units)
Spray Sandwich (1 spray bread, 1 spray cheese, 1 spray meat)
Spray Toasted Sandwich (1 Spray Sandwich, 1 welding fuel)
Chems:
Activated Almonds (1 almonds, 1 table salt)
Activated Charcoal (1 carbon, 1 table salt)
Anti-Serum (1 anti-toxin, 1 carbon, plasma catalyst; Tier 2 anti-toxin)
Carbazochrome (5 Bicaridine, 4 Nitrogen, 3 Oxygen, ethanol catalyst; Tier 2 Bicaridine)
Confetti (Iron with space drugs catalyst)
Fukitol (1 mindbreaker, 1 lithium)
Gold (20 gold, 5 frost oil, 5 carbon = 1 sheet)
Ice Sheet (1 table salt, 2 ice, 4 water = 1 sheet)
Silane (2 aluminium, 2 oxygen, 6 hydrogen, 3 silicon)
Silver (20 silver, 5 frost oil, 5 carbon = 1 sheet)
Sprinkles (2 nutriment, 1 confetti)
Uranium (20 uranium, 5 frost oil, 5 radium = 1 sheet)
>>
>>46122447
one on byond, not the paid membership, you can make an account here https://secure.byond.com/Join
>>
File: 1458368293889.gif (4MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1458368293889.gif
4MB, 480x320px
I dream of insanely strong monsters to fight, and moddable power armour to fight them with
>>
i have tomorrow free too, so JOIN THE SERVER AND WE SHALL PLAY
for now i'll just go sleep for a bit
>>
Also to Scrub Adub, I hope I kindled an interest in spessmen for you and wish you the best of luck should you pursue a career on Space Station 13
>>
>>46125023
You definitely did, I appreciate you showing me the ropes. Sorry to have dropped out so suddenly, my apartments internet cut out and seems to be ded for the time being. Once that's sorted out ill definitely be back.
>>
>>46124936
how dare you even try to sleep when there's a station that needs saving
>>
How would you expand on the combat system to make it more complex?
>>
>>46126175
And to make it more engaging and fun, instead of "Whoever stuns the other/doesn't get fucked by stamina first wins"
>>
>>46125435
Not a problem, I'm actually working on a rather wordy new player's guide to cover all the basics I went over in that round, and a few more things I didn't show you.
>>
Anybody on the server?
>>
my cpu also bit the dust
>>
File: thisisfine.jpg (109KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thisisfine.jpg
109KB, 1920x1080px
>>46126682
Good job breaking it hero.
>>
>>46126682
so you burnt out your original hard drive, replaced it with a 12 dollar refurbished one, then proceeded to burn out your entire motherboard, your power supply, AND your cpu.

hows the graphics card, and are you missing any screws from the case
>>
File: WE BUILD.png (576KB, 1861x2226px) Image search: [Google]
WE BUILD.png
576KB, 1861x2226px
>>46113115
>>
File: 1458439708134.jpg (127KB, 460x454px) Image search: [Google]
1458439708134.jpg
127KB, 460x454px
>>46126175
>>46126293
I'd make disarm intent less effective, add jamming for guns that use bullets and discharges that cause burn damage to the wielded for laser weapons to discourage relying on them

Perhaps also adding an overload chance for ranged stun weapons, with the chance rising the more the battery is used, so you'd need to swap after using the cell a lot

I'd also nerf freeman he 2 op nernums pls nerf him next recompile k thx
>>
so I'm thinking maybe virology could use something like this?
>>
File: 1458444227607.jpg (14KB, 396x396px) Image search: [Google]
1458444227607.jpg
14KB, 396x396px
>>46134211
I'm thinking it could do with not existing
>>
freeman more like mememan lmao
>>
>>46134673
Obviously there are people who want to do virology so it litterally can't.
>>
>>46126175
>>46126293
RNG for Wounds, causing blood to pour every step, and damage over time, if left untreated, can cause infection, leading to toxin damage and risk of a virus. Antibiotics removes chance of infection, while cauterization prevents bleeding out.
>>
>>46126175

for one thing, melee weapons having more variety and utility than raw damage and knockforce would do a lot to widen the playing field, so to speak

Secondly, stuns+guns will never not be the best choice in battle but that whole paradigm could use a nerf to make literally anything else viable
>>
>>46136491
Please, no infection, I hate that about baymed, if you get shot and you're bleeding profusely from a missing limb, you're more likely to die of infection rather than bloodloss.
>>
>>46137359

That's kind of realistic...

If this is 18th century medicine we're talking about.
>>
>>46137397
Yeah, but we're on a super futuristic space station wherein shifts take place over a couple hours, getting infection and suddenly dieing in 30 minutes is just silly.
>>
>>46137579
A certain amount of time before infection starts, and Antibiotics pretty much cures it, along with a cap on how much toxin damage can be dealt via infection?
>>
>>46137397
Within the first day, let alone five minutes?
No.
>>
>>46138806
>>46137579
>>46137823
>>
>>46126293
Something a lot of other servers have done is remove or get away from ranged "hard" stuns. I've been to a few where a taser needed two hits to drop someone, for example.

It's a hard thing to get around, since "-zap- lol i win" or "-slip- lol i win" are ancient and well established trends at this point.
>>
>>46138849
That's even worse, because that implies less-than-lethal technology stagnated after 500 years of technological progress, A taser shot is a taser shot, it's more than likely going to stun you.
>>
>>46138849
It's pretty ridiculous how a taser after 500 years of advancements in technology is equivalent to a simple motor oil spill or 5 units of water/space lube. Slipping needs a nerf honestly.
>>
>>46139024
>nerfing one of the only clever uses of the environment
>>
>>46139024
Yeah slipping and falling on your ass should sprawl instead of being a hardstun like it is, someone who slipped and fell should probably still be able to hold whatever weapon they have and react to attacks.
>>
>>46139024
Back when Sprawling was being developed, I argued up and down that slips should sprawl after a short stun, instead of being the game-overs that they are, but nernums was having none of it because of reasons.
>>
>>46139072
Well in his defense, it is one of the few ways you can use the environment to your advantage in a fight.
>>
>>46139072
>>46139070
it was set up as sprawls for a short time and it was awful
>>
>>46126175
>>46126293
Adrenaline.
Losing all your stamina no longer puts you to sleep, because going to sleep just from hitting a man eight times is ridiculous.
>>
>>46139137
I maintain that it was poor execution, not an inherent problem with the idea.

>>46139115
That argument more favors that further options should be added, than a hard stance against making one of the current few less ridiculous.
Slipping someone on a stray slick makes more sense to me to be a good way to break off a fight and escape, than to put the opponent in such a state of disarray that you simply win.
>>
>>46139070
>>46139186
A short stun, followed by sprawling for the same amount of duration tripping gets you?
>>46139148
Getting hit could make you lose a full bar of stamina while hitting someone makes you lose half a bar.
>>
>>46139229
Stamina is currently based on what item you get hit with, and the attacker pretty much always loses less stamina than the victim as is, it's just most weapons will do about 8-10 stamina loss on a swing out of around 120. This is of course before health loss.
>>
>>46139186
as someone who lives in canada and has been in a lot of fights, slipping does really fuck you over in real life too, had my nose broken from a coward kicking my face when he wouldn't do anything while I was standing, slick of smooth ice and on my back.

if anything I should be making it so you have to manually get off the ground.
>>
Stamina is just a social commentary about America and its obesity problem, to the point of 500 years in the future, stabbing someone 8 times repeatedly with a kitchen knife flat out knocks the attacker out cold. :^)
>>
>>46139368
Rusty pls go.
>>
>>46139362
I feel like adrenaline from running from a traitor would have someone get up from slipping despite the pain.
>>
>>46139362
Being in a few fights still barely makes you more an expert than Sean K Reynolds. They were able to kick you around some, not calmly put you into a set of handcuffs with no resistance, right?

I'll admit that slipping is less terrible now that lube finally has a sprite, but stuns still dominate the playing field far and away above anything else right now.
>>
>>46139479
Well short of making a very select few, hard to acquire weapons be the only things that will stun, stuns will always dominate the battlefield of spessmen, personally I think there should be more permanent damage system, where getting shanked in the gut by a guy with a knife will make you bleed, and maybe repeated hits to the head will sprawl or just simply slow you down.
>>
assistant technology
http://gizmodo.com/5853104/the-many-insane-flavors-of-improvised-prison-weapons
>>
Is this the time of day when the thread goes on lifesupport while the server lays dead?
>>
>ready up
>tator, need to kill the clown
>run for the golden ticket, call the shuttle and sec gear up
>misclick the unarmed clown with a stun baton for 10 seconds
>space him
ebin greentext
>>
File: 1453509595089.jpg (37KB, 600x334px) Image search: [Google]
1453509595089.jpg
37KB, 600x334px
Anyone up to playing a round or two of spessmen? We're currently low on people.
>>
>>46138806

You don't usually have to eat a full meal every 30 minutes in real life either, jackass

Time moves a lot faster in spessman world
>>
>>46142532
Spessmen time is 2x slower than the real world, actually.
>>
>>46142532
Biggest problem with the way Baymed handled infection is that bleeding happened in real time, while the infection was abstracted time, so you'd bleed much slower than an infection would kill you, so it'd take 40 minutes to kill you from a severed limb, while an infection will kill you at the 25-30 minute mark.
>>
>>46142671
>real time bleed out
>severed limb
>40 minutes
Maybe if you got the first aid in. The kind of arteries that run through the shoulder would empty a person in a couple minutes, and through the leg in maybe ten or twenty seconds. Those are generous estimates.
>>
>>46129773
>hows the graphics card, and are you missing any screws from the case
That thread was frustrating.
>>
>>46143056
Oh I'm well aware it's bullshit, it's exactly why I completely started hating baymed after being enamored with it. It's just D20's damage counter system with "blood loss" tacked on, I tested how long it took for someone to die from a severed limb, and 20-30 minutes later they were down to like 3-6% blood volume and died of infection, which just added a bunch of toxin damage over time.
>>
>>46143056

It's a lot easier to survive a severed limb than it is to survive any major organ damage to the torso

And you have several minutes before a severed limb kills you from bloodloss, FYI, much more than that if someone is trying to block the blood loss, and a tourniquet is pretty much perfect at preventing any further blood loss (but instead risks long term necrosis of the flesh due to lack of blood flow, but it's a matter of hours as opposed to the minutes it would take to die otherwise)
>>
>>46143136
I made sure to do the test with absolutely ZERO care, no tourniquet or anything of the sort, just blew a NPCs arm off and let him bleed out for a half hour. He was still breathing fine up until the infection set in despite him having 10% of his normal blood volume in him.
>>
>>46143136
Yes, applying a tourniquet or other forms of aid do lengthen the time dramatically. I gave that allowance. But "first aid" doesn't really exist even in most servers with Baymed outside of bruise packs.
>>
>>46143203

Yes and I'm not saying that baymed doesn't suck in this regard

But you did exaggerate how medically bad a severed limb is pretty badly
>>
>>46143228
I'm not the one who brought up the "10 seconds from a loss of the leg thing" that was someone else, but doesn't a severed femoral artery kill you in like 5 minutes?
>>
>>46143211
Then have tourniquets and antibiotics in NanoMeds.
>>
>>46143276

That's about right, but that's assuming no attempt is being made to stymie the blood loss.
>>
>>46143300
Honestly the entirety of baymed needs to be overhauled, it's just a damage counter system with special circumstances, a gunshot still deals 40 brute damage or something, except you're now bleeding an insignificant amount from the wound and there's a small chance you'll have an organ damaged which will just cause you to pass out from the pain every now and again.
>>
what about when you go into crit, instead of getting resp damage, all the damage you took to get into crit require certain medical responses to heal the remaining 20%?

a type of permanent damage that doesn't happen before you loose control of your guy and requires medical staff to solve
most damage can still be healed with bruise packs or drugs or whatever but it's not optimal. when you go into crit again you get the same thing, but now your max health is lowered even further
>>
>>46143413
Honestly, any medical update should go hand in hand with a melee weapon buff, the reason why stuns are king is because bashing someone over the skull or shanking them has no lasting impact, A toolbox does 10 brute and people have 100 health, yet I can club you till you're down to 10 health and you can still stun me and shoot me dead in 4 shots with a laser, there's no lasting damage to your character, you're just a bit slower.
>>
File: 1453974590102.png (299KB, 560x368px) Image search: [Google]
1453974590102.png
299KB, 560x368px
Bombp
>>
File: kumin6.gif (915KB, 280x196px) Image search: [Google]
kumin6.gif
915KB, 280x196px
anyone around for doing some testing?
byond://67.193.62.226:53162
>>
>>46145411
Hope you got some good ideas out of that little discussion we had nernums, best of luck to ya.
>>
wew
>>
>>46143413
or you may want to make it so that most serious damage taken (i.e things like being shot, high voltage electrical shocks, being gored/crushed in an airlock, excessive blunt trauma) takes a small percent of that damage and makes it too serious to heal via normal means.

seems like a gentle push in the right direction, this way someone won't have to go to medbay if they accidentally burn their hand on a lightbulb three times or accidentally hit their friend with a wrench
>>
>>46150616

While I like the idea, how would said semi-permanent damage be healed? If it only requires some type of slightly-more-difficult-to-produce drug to be injected, then it's not much of a solution. Only something vaguely complicated, like surgery, would really make it enough of a thing to be a real expansion on medical.
>>
>>46151189
burns could be a skin graft surgery, with meat used as the skin

brute could be giving them a cast that injects them with an adminbus chem that acts at half the speed of bicard to heal the permanent damage, but reduces effectiveness of the limb it's on

toxin could be long-term perscriptions

resp would need to be, like, an implanted lung replacement or something
>>
>>46151346
anything that makes anyone say "just kill me and clone me plz"
is not going to work
>>
>>46152183
Maybe something with cloning to make it less of a one size fits all fix? Make it more resource intensive? More imperfect?
>>
>>46139362
>as someone who lives in canada and has been in a lot of fights
I didn't know arguments over anime, the best smug pictures and defending Trudeau's honour counted as "fights", nernums
>>
File: 1458443720836.jpg (122KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1458443720836.jpg
122KB, 1252x1252px
>>46152270
I say just make everyone that get's cloned come out black, that would stop most people from wanting to be cloned.
Failing that, just make it cost plasma to use the clone pod, with upgrades reducing the cost and T3 upgrades making free or something.
>>
>>46152270
well there was a thing me and mezzo talked about before where cloning would need blood

>>46153116
things never get upgraded only part way
>>
>>46153186
>things never get upgraded only part way
Things never really get upgraded anyway
>>
>>46153224
yes they do all the time
>>
>>46153231
If you say so friend
>>
File: 1458405903317.gif (388KB, 314x232px) Image search: [Google]
1458405903317.gif
388KB, 314x232px
>>46153224
>>things never get upgraded only part way
>he's never played an annoying ten rounds in a row where either jung or emiko were constantly breaking in departments to try and shove shitty upgrades into every fucking machine
>and jung literally every round would break themodynamics on the TEG ten minutes into the round after being told that's a shitty thing to do to the point where I had to bomb the TEG
things may not get upgraded all the time but they are literally never upgraded halfway, they're either basic machines or turbo machines because the cost of making a better matter bin is nil
>>
>>46153186
>need blood
Many servers have it need meat.
Either end up being a pittance in the long run, but it's still something.

I'd say make the clonexadone reaction use plasma as a reagent rather than a catalyst - we already have spray food for free infinite meat - and have cloners digest that.
On longer rounds, it'd make medical and cargo have a reason to talk.
>>
>>46153186
>>46153954
For blood, wouldn't that mean you'd also have to change how getting blood works, since right now all adding a blood cost means is that the guy doing the cloning needs to grab a syringe.

Meat-wise, wouldn't that either just be a startup cost (if gibbing the old body creates more meat than cloning costs) or eliminating the old 'giving the dead bodies to the chef for food' thing (if you need more meat than the old body gives)?

I'm not too sure about the idea of using clonex as a cost - unless you're combining some of cryo with it, that means you need to make clonex for both the cryo setup and the cloner, and given the fact that people unfamiliar with the rest of medical/chem find themselves having to clone fairly often, I'm really unsure if making them have to work with plasma is a good idea.
>>
>>46151346
>>46152183
What if this damage is carried over with cloning?
>>
>>46155114
that is a really bad solution just to shoehorn something that already has too many problems, even without addressing the 'why' the damage is carried over.

>>46153954
using meat is retarded, just adds busywork that isn't even themed properly, we considered blood because drawing blood donations is more of a doctor thing than meat shoving.

>>46155031
the basic equipment would remain the same, it would go hand in hand with blood loss effects and blood regeneration that were also discussed but for the most part, not yet fully implemented.
below a certain amount of blood you'd have negative effects happening, you wouldnt be able to regenerate blood unless you had a certain amount in your system as well as nutrition and hydration being used to regenerate the blood, meaning you'd dehydrate someone who gives blood often, against their will or otherwise.
a crafty person could then also farm monkey blood provided the monkeys were fed and watered as needed.
again though, it hasnt been a major focus since all it does is add themed busy work
>>
>>46153272
Seems like you've never played a round with me, I always get Mat 5 in 15 minutes and run around filling all the machines withT3 parts.
>>
>cloning
Why is this a thing for anything that leaves the body intact? Wouldn't cloning make more sense for cases, where you have only a DNA sample (a bodypart, some blood etc.), and cryo with specialized surgeries for anything that leaves the body intact?
I realize that this is a legacy thing, but still.

>inb4 people gibbing and cloning people because it's easier
That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about it from fluff perspective.
>>
>>46157761
All this seems to boil down to "Medbay spessmen want to medical other spessmen, other spessmen don't want to deal with extra bullshit when they get hurt."
>>
>>46150616
currently working on what I call "mangle" damage

note: 14 and 60 are numbers that can be tweaked so please don't nitpick my arbitrary numbers

when you get more than 14 brute/burn damage the remainder is converted into mangle damage
limbs can now only have 60% of their maxhealth in brute/burn damage, if you take more damage than this it is converted into mangle

an example to clarify mangle damage:
A attacks B in the left arm (maxhealth 75) for 5 brute damage
B has 5 brute damage on the left arm
A attack B in the left arm for 15 brute damage
B has 19 brute damage and 1 mangle damage on the left arm
A attacks B in the left arm twice for 13 brute each
B has 45 brute damage (60% of 75) and 1 mangle damage
A attacks B in the left arm for 5 brute damage
B has 45 brute damage and 6 mangle damage on the left arm
A attacks B in the left arm for 14 burn damage
B has 45 brute damage, 6 mangle damage and 14 burn damage on the left arm
B uses ointment on left arm
B has 45 brute damage and 6 mangle damage on the left arm
A attacks B in the left arm for 24 burn damage
B has 45 brute damage, 16 mangle damage and 14 burn damage on the left arm
B uses ointment and bruisepack on left arm
B has 16 mangle damage on the left arm
B asks a doctor to fix his mangle damage
doctor takes blood and makes synthflesh
doctor does the surgery
B has 0 damage
OR
doctor has some synthflesh laying around from monkey blood
doctor does the surgery
B has 16 toxic damage
OR
doctor sticks B in cryo for a considerable amount of time
B has 0 damage

hoping that mangle damage will make damage feel "more permanent" while also giving medical spacemen a reason to exist
>>46157826
well it would suck if you need a doctor and nobody's in to help you
on the other hand it sucks when you want to play medical and everyone just helps themselves while they ignore you
>>
>>46157999
I'm getting to the point where any system that requires surgery except for serious wounds (like internal organ damage or ruptured blood vessels and such) is just a bad idea, even then it comes down to how realistic do people want the system to be, do we want to keep a health point system where if you hit 0 you go into crit or do we want an entirely wound based system where only blood loss or central nervous system damage will properly incapacitate you?
>>
>>46157999
I'm not sure if you're the new guy nernums added (if you're staff, you should use a tripcode), or just some random guy, but we already had a similar idea that works a little more elegantly.
>>
>>46158069
it doesn't require surgery, it's just a faster alternative to cryo when patching up a single limb
>>
>>46158306
Then that's even worse, I don't want to sit in cryo for 5 minutes because some shitter hit me really hard in the arm and now my maximum health is down a few points. The whole system becomes a huge pain in the ass if there's no doctors around.
>>
You know, something you could do for cloning is make it use a lot of power.
So yes, you could kill people instead of healing them because you're lazy, but engineering won't like you for it.
>>
>>46158366
unless it consumes more than 140Kw I wouldn't care as an engineer
>>
>>46158366
It'd have to suck up a MASSIVE amount of power to make a difference, considering it's pretty trivial to generate up to 1 million units of power.
>>
>>46158684
>>46158723
Well unless something like the blood or meat intake is implemented, it's making blood and flesh from energy, like the matter generator. That, or I've missed something.
>>
>>46158862
One can assume that the DNA scanner takes a sample of the person's DNA and possibly a bit of their flesh or blood and uses that to generate a fresh clone of their body.
>>
>>46158723
>It'd have to suck up a MASSIVE amount of power to make a difference
Simple "E=mc^2" will do.
80kg*3*10^8=2.4*10^9 J = 2.4 MJ.
If we factor in that it's unlikely to be a perfect conversion, it's more like 5-10 MJ.
>>
>>46158862
yes but meat doesn't have cargo point value so it's not subject to insane power costs balancing
>>
>>46156028
No comment on clonexodone?
>>
>>46157826

Yes and the fact of the matter is that medical is never going to feel like you're an actual doctor unless spessmen wounds become something that can't be healed with bruise packs and drugs
>>
>>46158347

It has to be a pain in the ass, otherwise there's literally no point, and we might as well just give everyone Gears of War style regenerating health
>>
>>46160548
The problem is the whole system becomes annoying and tedious, It ends up being "whoops some shitter bashed me in the arm really hard, looks like I lost 10 points of my maximum health forever now" when there's no doctors aboard, because other wise you'd spend forever trying to perform surgery on yourself, jump into cryo and hope someone takes you out, or just suck up the damage.
>>
>>46160533
What we need to do is balance between "giving medical something to do" and "being able to heal myself" if we make a super advanced medical system that requires a staffed medbay we end up with situations where you can't even heal minor damage, on the flip side if we have a simplified system like we do now medbay has no reason to exist.
>>
I had an idea to try and flesh out medical a bit more, what if you took wounds when you got hurt, based on what you got hit by? Like say James G. Tide the assistant got into a scuffle with a Cargonian, the cargonian pulled a boxcutter and slashed up James' arm pretty bad, not a fatal wound, but he's bleeding pretty bad, so he runs over to medbay, applies some disinfectant on the wound and applies gauze to stop the bleeding, and in a few minutes the wound closes up (because nanites in the bruisepack or something) and he's at 100 again.

Now let's say later into the round James gets shot by a .357 in the chest, the round punctures his lung and he's bleeding all over and struggling to breath. So he limps his way to medbay and applies some first aid, he prevents himself from dieing, but he's not healing anytime soon, so the Doctor takes him in, mends up his broken lung and gives him a bit of bicarindine and he heals up within the next few minutes. That way people can perform first aid on themselves in bad situations with no doctors while also giving medbay something to do in the case of severe trauma.
>>
>3 harmless foreign shitters on the server right now
This is actually kinda funny.
>>
>>46161682
/int/station when?
>>
>>46160760

Nobody is arguing that medical should be unnecessarily complicated, because that would just result in baymed v2.0 which literally everyone has said is not the solution

You're basically arguing against a strawman because you don't want anything to change, it's more convenient for you if things stay the way they are, even if it means there's a whole department that has no purpose

For fuck's sake, medical is even less interesting of a job than mining and mining literally only exists to supply science with minerals

>>46160729

10 points of semi-permanent damage is not tedious or annoying, you'd barely even notice it's there

If you somehow wind up with 50 points of semi-permanent damage or more, you probably deserve to stay that way until a medical player can fix you since under the currently proposed system that would require taking several lives' worth of damage
>>
>>46161682
one of them is a regular, hes pretty funny, the other two are brazilians so I'm assuming they're all pals

>>46161770
right now

>>46161774
medical gets more interesting the more people are on board, you only really need one active medical doctor per 10 people, this includes cmo and chemist
>>
>>46161774
What with the way how you slow down at low health, and stamina effectively will drop your speed as well, 10 points is going to make a huge difference now that stamina is in the game, and I won't be surprised if people start racking up the semi-permanent damage to relatively high levels, especially if medbay's power is out. I'm not arguing at all to keep shit the way it is, in fact I dislike the system as much as the next guy, I just don't think the proposed system is a good solution.
>>
>>46161856
Oh and since it's based on a damage threshold system, if you set the threshold to say 20 damage points, one shot from a nugget will deal 40 points of semi permanent damage as well, and if I'm reading it right, the first shot from a handgun will deal 10 points and then another 30, totaling to 40 points of semi-permanent damage.
>>
Fridge did a new title screen, I var-edited in for this round if anyone's curious.
>>
>>46161971
getting shot isn't something you can usually walk off
what adien and I discussed was that a fairly small percentage of damage that comes from a heavy hit will be semi-permanent, maybe something akin to 10-20% of the hit. This encourages first aid and still makes it useful in combat, but doesn't make it a permanent solution.
>>
>>46162380
My biggest issue with the whole system is that somehow getting hit in the leg will make it so that if you get grazed later on you fall over unconscious and suddenly stop breathing, and the semi-permanent damage system feels like it's going to exacerbate that effect.
>>
>>46162929

Improperly treated wounds and injuries can, in fact, cause death later on due to something as seemingly harmless as getting punched in the face. It's your own fault if you let that much untreated semi-permanent damage build up anyways.
>>
Banned by host: Ban Evasion
Access denied.

Never got banned, serving drinks as alexander anderson.

And i get banned, i do not approve.
>>
>>46163118
post ckey or we can't help you
>>
>>46163035
Well it's not like you'll have a choice whether or not you can stop to hop into cryo or do surgery on yourself if things get bad, also I sincerely doubt that a mangled leg will cause death if you catch a tool box to the arm later on.
>>
>>46163132
>>46163118
Going to do a few other stuff, and check up what happend later.

killed my vibe a bit,

I'll be back. was fun chatting with you dax and newt.
>>
>>46163149

If things get bad, IE there's a tator running around with a backpack full of tasers and NT10SPs gunning people down in the hallways, medicine isn't going to save your ass anyways

The specifics of what injuries occur where is pretty unimportant in the game, it doesn't distinguish between a gunshot to the chest or several bonks on the arm with a rolling pin. Health has to be abstracted or it turns into a big fucking mess
>>
>>46163251
Well in the current system, it could save your ass if you get away, I'm mostly really worried about it getting really tedious to heal minor amounts of mangle damage which might stack up over time, like bumping into a grille or hazard floor and then getting shot or beat up later on and so on and so forth.
>>
>>46163186
post your fucking ckey you cunt
>>
>>46163347
that's the idea
taking a heavy hit or two is managable with basic first aid, but constantly getting beat to shit requires some special attention
>>
>>46163480
I just don't want taking damage to become "okay now you gotta hop into cryo and wait until all the damage goes away" after a few scuffles, Aiden cleared it up though so I'm a bit more accepting of the idea, still not a fan though.
>>
File: 1458351471010.jpg (119KB, 600x784px) Image search: [Google]
1458351471010.jpg
119KB, 600x784px
>>46163582
adien is planning on surgery for these operations so cryo doesn't once again become the answer to all medical problems

theoretically if the damage is light enough you can probably do self surgery to fix it, but we're also looking at making heavy surgery like augmentations require another person and heavy management of health so they don't die while you cut off their torso
>inb4 freeman why do you hate augfags so much
>>
>>46163617

Freeman why do you hate augfags so much

If you're gonna punish one way of permanently buffing yourself, at least punish genetics and viro along with it

I don't like the idea of buffs like those any more than you do
>>
>colon marines: 105 players
>hippie: 95 players
literally how and why
>>
>>46163617
Well unless there's a way I can hop onto an operating table, it's gonna be fun rolling RNG and hoping I can clamp those bleeders so I can fix up my 15 damage.
>>
>>46163648
>gutting absolute shit even more
Why
>>
>>46163687

>TK
>X-ray
>complete shit

you must be totally unrobust
>>
>>46163648
>viro and genetics
>permanent
at least with viro I can just force feed them some jerky when they're not looking and it will cure all three of their shit viruses
and at least with genetics I can hit them with an SE or laser them into crit

with augments they are speedy tanks that won't take shit from anyone unless they have an Ion gun and im actually fairly sure there's no way to rip off an augment, or if there is it's just much easier to kill the person and clone them
>>46163673
also looking at different ways to do surgery without RNG
quit being so anal about 15 damage
>>
>>46163702
I mean Viro.
>>
>>46163673

Then don't and ask the doctor to do it for you

Or alternatively, don't get hurt in the first place
>>
>>46163709
>also looking at different ways to do surgery without RNG
going to leave the RNG in there, just do the other step on failure like you suggested
>>
>>46163651

colon marines is pop culture influenced.

hippie has almost no rules.

nuff said
>>
>>46163803
D20 isn't exactly the most rules heavy server around either.
>>
>>46163872
the difference is we loosely enforce rules but hippe is pretty much nox 2.0
>>
>>46163890

yer mum is basically nox 2.0
>>
>>46163709
>ions
>the thing you gave sec 3 of, two of which being pocket pistols
>you also made ions a one click win button for everything that comes out of science
the horse is dead freeman, stop kicking it
>>
>>46163803
>>46163890
>hippie has no rules
every time I defend myself from giggle n griff shitters an admin instantly yells at me for it, within 15 fucking seconds of them going into crit
every fucking time
>>
>>46165117
>implying we have sec
>implying science cant just break in and steal them
>>
>>46165282
>Implying anyone else can't just break in and steal them
>>
>>46165184
i said almost no rules. and it doesn't mean they aren't bad admins.
>>
Something that I forgot to ask

A bunch of posters apear as a female or male pinup when on observation they are listed as something else. Is that a placeholder for something or are those a bandaid fix to bugged out posters or something?
>>
>>46165598
Yep.
I made the unnamed icon poster a sexy pinup because I figured that I fucked up, might as well give people something nice to look at.
But I guess it's backfired because people don't report the name of the poster so I can fix it.
>>
File: 1458181374938.png (11KB, 346x291px) Image search: [Google]
1458181374938.png
11KB, 346x291px
>>46165117
>implying I put them there
>implying augs don't need nerfs
>implying science doesn't need something to counter their primarily electronics and technology-centric upgrades
all you have to do is make backup shit from science that doesn't get canned by ions so you have something to fall back on because you can make whatever ballistic shit you want too
>>46165184
its nox 2.0 mostly because only the regulars are allowed to do whatever they want
it just so happens all the regulars are probably the ones who get to kill anyone they want
>>
>>46161774
>multiple idiots design a system for damage that's needlessly complicated
>"n-nobody's saying it needs to be needlessly complicated you're just strawmanning!!!"

>someone's "surgery or cryo is the only way to heal fully" idea is actually taken
>a month passes
>someone hears at least 4 people in thread wondering why cryo doesn't spit you out at full health
>they code it
>someone else commits it
>medbay doctors who assume they always exist in every single round are no longer a problem, again
>>
>>46166966
Actually the currently proposed system heals you with both surgery and cryo.
>>
>>46166966

Your argument hinges on the admins here having short term memory loss

Nobody is saying that any proposals are going to be perfect from the get-go or that they won't need revisions

It's a fact of new systems like the stamina system that balancing needs to occur
>>
>>46167554
but i do
>>
File: 1374104472019.jpg (34KB, 327x319px) Image search: [Google]
1374104472019.jpg
34KB, 327x319px
>>46168890

Shush nerd
>>
>>46167554
every server where either surgery or cryo is mandatory to be 100% healthy after a scuffle also has smart cryo cells that you can eject while nobody's around to help you

this is not for no reason

players enjoy when their character can become 100% healthy after a fight with little to no outside help needed, even if that's not realistic.

if your proposal involves giving the player no opportunity to heal damage on their own in any scenario other than death, it's shit. it's not "less than perfect," it's shit. no matter how realistic needing a doctor would be in real life, this is a video game and should be treated as such.

nobody's saying that any proposals are going to be perfect from the get-go but if the single paragraph you give us has such a glaring flaw as "you can't ever have max health on your own after your first fight" maybe you should do some revisions on your own before hurrying to post it online
>>
>>46170476
You could always perform surgery on yourself to heal the damage, you do understand that's been brought up before right?
>>
>>46170476
people hiding in maint and slapping bruise packs and bandages all over their body for 15 seconds after being shot to the brink of death is a shit solution too

if you want to get into heavy scuffles you better have some way to heal lethal damage either via self surgery or have someone to help you
>>
>>46170476

Your arguments all boil down to 'it's a videogame so it should work like a videogame'

Because it's a videogame, and medical is a department in this videogame, there needs to be some reason for medical to exist when drugs and bruisepacks cure 99% of all maladies and don't require an actual medical player

Otherwise you might as well get rid of medical as a department entirely and give everyone regenerating health
>>
>>46104397

>sever is called d20
>actively is removing all dice rolls in game
>>
File: 1458397608949.png (7KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
1458397608949.png
7KB, 120x120px
>>46171412
dicerolls are not good gameplay outside D&D
>>
>>46171503
they're not good gameplay inside of d&d either
whats why none of the weapons have a d20 for damage
4d6-4 is superior for skill rolls as well
>>
>>46171549

If you want to get really technical, DnD is a huge mess and the dice mechanics are only one part of it
>>
last for nernums is a salty cuck
>>
File: rr13v2.png (447KB, 544x479px) Image search: [Google]
rr13v2.png
447KB, 544x479px
>>46173567
post ckey
>>
>>46173567
Nice meme Lone Lee but you're still a cuck
>>
>>46173786
look into your heart you know who i am
>>46173796
rusty pls go
>>
File: 1458607544806.jpg (19KB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
1458607544806.jpg
19KB, 500x451px
>>46173567
Lee please, you're the cuck round these parts
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.