[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swordchat.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: Saber_of_red_armourless.png (2MB, 1170x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Saber_of_red_armourless.png
2MB, 1170x2000px
Is this more like a bastard sword or a greatsword?
>>
longsword held by a manlet
>>
12th & 13th centuries: greatsword

14th and onwards: greatsword if its only meant for use in both hands, bastard if it's meant to be useful both single and twohanded.
>>
File: 1426756149074.png (453KB, 533x1029px) Image search: [Google]
1426756149074.png
453KB, 533x1029px
>>46076616
she's a 154cm manlet
>>
>>46076616
Can we have a good female Saber whose design isn't a blatant copy of Arturia?
>>
>>46076778
No.
>>
>>46076616
highly depends on your definition of bastard sword and greatsword as neither of those terms have a good definition
>>
>>46076710
>I'll never hold hands with a fit manlet girl.
Why even live.
>>
>>46076616
A paddle.
>>
>>46076616
The modern terms we use for sword catagorization is still being refined, as it derives from contradictory views made worse by popular media's influence.

I would call that a disporportionately wide-bladed longsword. My prefered parlance has bastard swords as a shirter, more easily handled subset of longswords, and "greatswords" (encompassing your typical renaissance zweighs and montantes and the like) as their own catagory alltogether, considering that while they may have looked like swords but realy were used completely differently.
>>
>>46076778
Well, this one is actually justified, seeing as she's Mordred.
>>
>>46076616
Chest height or taller on an average sized man is going to be a greatsword. No room for a second hand on the grip is an arming sword, or a longsword if we're talking d&d. Anything in between is historically a longsword, but d&d will call it a bastard sword. The term bastard sword came up historically but with no reference to any specific weapon or dimensions, so we don't actually know what was meant by it. It could have referred to a weapon like in the OP, on the small end of two-handed swords, or it could have referred to something else entirely.
>>
What kind of sword is excalibur in the actual arthurian legends? It's supposed to be big, right? This all came about before two-handed swords were a thing, right?
>>
>>46077321
The original Caladblog was a simple one handed sword that was to big for a normal human to wield without two handing it.
Clarent the actual sword in the stone is just a normal sized sword.
And Excalibur itself is usual seen as a greatsword with an unusually thing blade.
>>
>>46077424
But there was no such concept as a "greatsword," let alone a longsword by modern parlance in the times the stories were told, right?

Was Arthur a special exotic weapon weeaboo?
>>
>>46076616
It's a fantasy sword
>>
>>46077518
There was no concept of a great sword but it was forged by the Fey and Witches of Avalon, a long or two handed sword made by them would be much bulkier than one made by humans as there interpretation at the time was to be much taller than humans.

>Was Arthur a special exotic weapon weeaboo?
He has anywhere between 3-10 magic weapons in any given legend, as well as an entire cohort with magic weapons all taken from either Elves, Fey, Witches, or Giants of the old Celtic lore. He is pretty weeb.
>>
I would call that sword THICK.

It's clearly not a longsword, greatsword, or bastard sword, it's some kind of fictional gigantic gladius or something.
>>
File: Witcher Stong Style.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Witcher Stong Style.webm
3MB, 640x360px
What's the viability of using stances and other swordfighting techniques on non-humanoid opponents? Would you actually use such things effectively or would it be more efficient to just go into big ass slashes and whatnot?
>>
File: huge guts.jpg (149KB, 499x670px) Image search: [Google]
huge guts.jpg
149KB, 499x670px
>>46077801
WHEN HE BLOCKS IT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO STEP AWAY FAGGOT NOT KEEP PRESSING IT AGAINST HIS BLADE

FUCKING FOOTWORK FUCK
>>
>>46077801
>guy turns on his own
For your question, look at hunting. Different game was handled with different tactics and weapons.
>>
>>46077801
Using a sword against non-humanoid opponents is dumb to begin with. It mostly makes sense in the Witcher though, considering majority of 'monsters' are definitely humanoid, and considering that you would want something portable and universal for that kind of a job.

Against the non-humanoid ones though, it definitely makes sense that you would go for mordhau against the ones with natural armor, and wouldn't want to overextend against the speedier little things.

A different idea I had was whether you could teach an animal martial arts, whether an animal can improve its way of fighting through experience. If you stuck a human brain into a bear, could it use the body of a bear more efficiently? Could this get to the point of human martial arts, where the 'bear karate' would look completely different from the natural way of fighting of a bear?
>>
>>46078098
The whole point of martial arts is learning how to more effectively use what we naturally have, so I guess you could develop more efficient ways of using claws and whatever else you have, not to mention that actually recognizing threats and dodging blows would make any animal much more dangerous.

That said, many predators would just use their intelligence to better judge the right time for striking and then rely on their natural superiority before developing a more efficient way to behave in a prolonged fight, you hunt and kill because you need to eat, you want to use as little energy as possible.
>>
>>46077194
I don't care if it's justified, I just don't want to see Takeuchi's sameface ever again. Like, Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (949KB, 1571x1391px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
949KB, 1571x1391px
>>46076778
Already got one.
>>
>>46079748
>Attila
>Tribal Slut
>Rainbow Sword
>Good
>>
>>46079885
>Chocolate skin alien
>bad
>>
>>46078911
Pluck your eyes out then faggot.
>>
>>46076778
Richard the Lionheart from Strange Fake?
>>
>>46076616
Bastard and great swords are just slang names for various longswords and are not actual codified designs.

The sword in your image is fantasy.
>>
>>46077085
>Spoiler tags disrupt green text
>Does that work with empty tags?
>Or do the tags have to contain something?

>>46076616
Not familiar with the series, but that looks horribly impractical.
So it's probably a greatsword.
>>
>>>46080967 ...spoiler tags_ can't be a single space. Good to know.
>Then does thiswork?
>>
>>46079748
she'd be better if she actually resembled a Hun. As she is, her design is one of the worst I've seen.
>>
>>46081204
>implying Nasu servants ever have any relation to their actual myth
>>
>>46076616
Looks like a sword wielded by a bastard, I tell you what
>>
>>46081204
But she is an alien, not a hun
>>
>>46080448
He said female. If we were including male, then Siegfried counts.
>>
File: arthur.jpg (676KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
arthur.jpg
676KB, 1600x1200px
>>46076778
No, but here's an Arturia that isn't just a blatant copy of Saber. The heart pupils are permanent.
>>
>>46081204
>Actually resembled a Hun
>A people we have little to no reliable source material on in regards to how they looked.
>>
>>46081847
I love you
>>
>>46079885
>>46081204
She's not Atilla, though. She just pretends to be him.

She might be TYPE-MARS.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.