[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: img-1.jpg (401KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
img-1.jpg
401KB, 800x600px
Hi /tg/. I want to make a MTG RPG.
Not an RPG based on the setting, but an RPG where you literally play the MTG card game. Probably going to use Cockatrice for it or something.
I want to evoke the same feeling of slow but satisfying progression as the old Shandalar game did, where you start off pathetic but you rapidly become stronger and eventually surpass the default player stats.
I want players to have a character and attributes which tie into how they are able to play the card game. Here's what I have so far:

Color Identity: Pick One Color
>The Colors you can use in your deck.
Life: 10
>Your starting life total.
Library: 40
>The maximum number of cards you can have in your deck.
Hand: 5
>Your starting and max hand size.
Max Mana: 4
>The maximum amount of mana you can have in your pool at any one time.
Max Permanents: 4
>The maximum amount of permanents you can have in play at any one time.

By winning duels, players will gain points which can be used to increase any of these stats, giving them things like extra starting life or even an expanded color identity if they save up. They will also gain booster packs. Etc etc.

Want to brainstorm some stuff? I'll probably be posting this in Game Finder once it's ready.
>>
>>46053262
>Black magic's power comes from death and decay
WRONG WRONG WRONG
>>
>>46053626
I can already tell what the next 50 posts are going to be about.
>>
>>46053262
hey guy...
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RPG

IT'S ALREADY BEEN STARTED, PICK THIS UP AND FINISH IT
>>
>>46053677
Nigga, like I said, I don't want to make an RPG that uses an abtraction of MTG mechanics. I want to resolve encounters by having the players actually play a match of MTG.
>>
>>46053723
and the difference between that and this is?
>>
>>46053804
That is an attempt at creating a pen and paper RPG that incorporates mechanical elements of MTG and adapts the setting while creating an entirely new system. You roll dice and shit. You aren't actually playing the MTG card game at any point.

This is an attempt at creating a roleplaying progression system for use alongside programs like Cockatrice, MTGO or even paper MTG. Anything resembling a pen and paper combat system is removed and replaced with the act of actually playing the MTG card game.
>>
>>46053915
that seems like it'd be comparatively slow placed next to other RPG systems...like, crazy slow...
>>
>>46053262
If I had the whole day I wouldn't be able to tell you all things that made your idea stupid, so I'm going to point out three of my main 'concerns'

First, MTG was designed with a few things in mind. Number of cards in hand, mount of life, size of library...Those can have some variation between game mode but just allowing players to increase those with experience points while their adversaries are stuck with smaller stats...That's just dumb. It's gonna upset the game balance in all the obvious ways you can predict and then in a number of ways you can't.

Second, you gonna take ages to resolve encounters. Imagine you have 4 players. You, the DM, have to individully play each of the 4 players once to resolve a single encounter where they all participate. Or play 4 decks agaisnt them in some weird 'four headed giant'.

Three
Players will have to have their own magic decks? Will you provide them with your deck? Players will have to be good magic players, for sure, which is in itself problematic, but not just that, they will have to own good cards. And enough good cards to make a playable deck that fit the limitation in colors and number of cards early on. And then keep adjusting the deck. And you as DM will have to have good decks to play interesting challenges.

Okay, I know i said three but, bonus problem:

As a DM, you aren't suppose to win all the time or half the time. Players should win more often than not, else the game is frustating. Are you gonna lose the MTG game on purpose then? Play badly? Give yourself handicaps? What if one of your players has a much better deck AND plays much better than you? Are you just gonna let him steamroll the campaign, winning all match, the XP points to go with it, and become much better than other players?
>>
>>46053626
Winning at any cost can been seen as drawing power from self-decay.
I'm more miffed by artifice getting shoehorned as Blue, since it's at least as much Red.
>>
>>46053262
I hope that game gets released as public domain or something.
Or at least sold at reasonable price.
>>
>>46054154
>First point
I know, but I never said that their adversaries would be stuck with smaller stats. Challenges ramp up as players grow stronger, that's common sense. If you need evidence that progression can work this way in MTG, then just play the MicroProse game.
>Second point
Then I'll either have to have less players, or roll with the weird four headed giant idea and find ways to make it work.
>Third Point
Again, I mentioned that this would most likely be used with Cockatrice (with MTGO and paper magic as possible alternatives but maybe not plausible ones). Cockatrice is free and comes with all the cards, so no issues there.
>Bonus point
I'm just gonna build decks balanced for the players' current power levels. I'll give my NPC enemies handicaps in the same ways that the players are handicapped. Reduced life totals and all that. Steamrolling is a potential issue but if a player can win that consistently then they kind of deserve to steamroll, that is a mark of skill in either deckbuilding or just playing the game in general.
But DMs also have their ways of dealing with a player that pulls too far ahead, obviously.
>>
>>46055167

You can track down an ISO. People have even patched in new cards over the years. There's a limit to how many the game engine can handle at once, though, so you'd eventually need to remove some of the old stuff if you wanted to play newer cards.

>>46053262

The Shandalar game popped up in my head in the context of how to build an MTG MMORPG recently. The idea I had, I think, boils down to this: players find themselves in the middle of a massive fight, with their planeswalker sparks igniting but no memory of who they are or what they're supposed to do. Players can challenge anyone, player or NPC, with a small timer window where anyone else can join in the match - so you can pull multiple NPCs to solo, or gank someone fighting an NPC. Team-ups before challenges are also available for those who prefer two-headed giant.

Combat is resolved with actual MTG duels, with the following differences. First, there's ante, and more cards built around ante. Second, there's XP, which is earned by each player participating in a match based on how many turns the match lasts. Third, there's always a "pushing" factor on the battlefield aimed at ending the games faster, kind of the way Planechase modifies things - all creatures get bigger on a green battlefield, everyone takes damage on a red battlefield, etc - with the effect being more pronounced the longer the game lasts.

I haven't worked out what XP would modify - maybe starting life/hand a-la Vanguard, maybe changing initial color choices, maybe mana costs allowed in the deckbuilding, maybe the ability to (re)gain "free" spells at "shrines" if you ante too much. The Zendikar story arc would fit the game well - players face off against massive NPC bosses, can't win, planeswalk away to other areas, pick up more cards/XP, return to win.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.