[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do monks still suck in 5e?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: All-Monk Party.jpg (257KB, 1280x828px) Image search: [Google]
All-Monk Party.jpg
257KB, 1280x828px
My friends are trying to convince me to play in a 5e campaign, but I don't want to get all excited for a RL campaign and then find out that my character is licking windows while the others are actually competent.
>>
It's a hefty step down from 4e monks but they are not terrible.
>>
>>46007353
Would you care to elaborate?

DESU I'm not even sure how they stepped up from 3.x to 4e, I'm out of the loop.
>>
>>46007324
Monks fall behind other classes in damage output at higher levels, but get very tanky. Open Hand monks especially, who get a pseudo-Lay on Hands at level six.
>>
>>46007447
>I'm not even sure how they stepped up from 3.x to 4e

Monks in 4e were designed to inflict a lot of damage and move around the battlefield pretty well. One person described them as operating like a 'deadly pinball'. I don't know the specifics but general consensus seems to be that 4e monks are work well in the game without having to invest a lot of effort for little return.
>>
Monks suck in every edition because "i hit it with my fists" is boring as hell

But no, they are useful in 5e. Flurry of Blows and being able to dodge and knock enemies prone at early levels trivializes certain encounters
>>
>>46007909
But you can hit stuff with other things as well, not just fists and feet. Staffs, spears, fire and ice, hadoukens...
>>
>>46007898
>>46007447
Almost all your abilities either move the enemy, or move yourself. It allows you great control of the shape of the battlefield. 4e monks were striker/controllers in this way, while having huge survivability because of their primary DEX stat.

5e monk can hit a whole lot for a tiny amount of damage. They can also spend Ki and maybe have an effect occur. If you break it down, they're almost like a caster that has no cantrips.
>>
>>46007898
>>46007447

Deadly Pinball is a very accurate term.

Basically: Every single monk power (Save Dailies) had 2 components. A Movement Power and an Attack Power. You could use them both (Though if it was an encounter, you had to use them in the same turn).

Monks thrived on being surrounded as the had a lot of Close Burst (Hitting everything in an area with themselves at ground zero. Generally via roundhouse kicks or jackie chan fu.)

That and they were superb at being gigantic dicks. They threw out control-happy powers like crazy. Like Drunken Monkey where you dodge an angry foes wild swing right into his buddies chest. Or suplexing a guy onto the other side of you and prone.

They lacked the single-target focus of a lot of Strikers but they bounced around the battlefield. Hard to hit, ruining minions days and pissing larger foes off beyond compare.

5e monks lost a lot of the mobility, control and multi-target capability
>>
Play pathfinder instead.
>>
>>46007324
Specifically for ravenloft you'll do nicely. The complaint that Monks don't keep up on damage output doesn't really apply here because it's basically at 10th level dungeon so late-level shortcomings don't come up, and damage output isn't a primary problem the party faces in overcoming the most difficult obstacles.
>>
>>46007324
Looking at the OP thumbnail that little kid's head looks like a big set of nuts for the red orc.
>>
>>46007999
why would you tell a monk player to play pathfinder
what sort of sick joke is this
>>
File: AntiPaladin.png (615KB, 825x1022px) Image search: [Google]
AntiPaladin.png
615KB, 825x1022px
>>46008236

Wait, I've found a picture of him!
>>
>>46007973
>>46007996
Saying that they're not as good as 4e monks is like saying that 4e wizards are not as good as 3.PF wizards. They're really solid, and their ki point stuff offers a lot, including more attacks which are a bigger deal in 5th. Shadow monks are practically magic users, though. They even get spells they can expend ki points to use. And shadowstep, which is a no-cost Dimension Door if it's dim to dark lighting.
>>
>>46007324
They keep pace a lot better than they used to and can do a lot of cool stuff. Ever wanted to sprint 120 feet up a wall and punch a demon in the face? Im pretty sure you can. Ever wanted to pull off the ''5 Point Exploding Heart'' attack from Kill Bill Vol 2? You can do that too.

A lvl 20 monk wont match up to a lvl 20 Wizard but that can be said of most classes anyway
>>
>>46007996
5e monks still get a bonus action to Dash or Disengage, but it requires ki, and you also need a bonus action to Flurry.
>>
File: 1442683307672.gif (480KB, 250x309px) Image search: [Google]
1442683307672.gif
480KB, 250x309px
Having played a fighter up to level 7 with another player playing monk I'd say monks do just fucking fine. I'm not salty. You're salty!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.