/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it "cheating" for harpies to try to develop magical/psionic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: harpy boy.png (595KB, 894x1350px) Image search: [Google]
harpy boy.png
595KB, 894x1350px
Is it "cheating" for harpies to try to develop magical/psionic powers of telekinesis (like Mage Hand) to compensate for their lack of hands, or is it only sensible in a high fantasy, high magic world?
>>
>>46000261

It is only sensible.

Just like it is only sensible for wizards and clerics to rule over everywhere in that same setting.

You could probably cook up some reasons for why Harpies wouldn't do it, if you didn't want them to.
>>
>>46000261
How would they do the finger waggling involved?
Or pick up the books?
>>
>>46000261

Reminds me of Poppy O' Possum.
>>
File: harpy_by_daveallsop.jpg (473KB, 851x1000px) Image search: [Google]
harpy_by_daveallsop.jpg
473KB, 851x1000px
>>46000261
>>
>>46000261
>>46000524
Sensible is not exactly the word I'd use, as there are mundane alternatives that have the same effect: either they could have "thumb-like" claws/apendages that allow them to more or less hold objects or they function like real life bords and grab everything they need with their feet/talons. Theoretically a bird-human could be flexible enough to comfortably stand on one leg for hours on end while using the other to bring a book to his face and read it.

Making them a psionic or magical race would be more at home in a high fantasy, high magic world where races that are almost entirely reliant on magic for their basic functions are not uncommon.
>>
>>46001140
Psionics don't need no finger-waggling.
>>
Harpies aren't sentient
>>
File: bird fingers.jpg (97KB, 550x751px) Image search: [Google]
bird fingers.jpg
97KB, 550x751px
>>46000261
Give them little bird-hands at the ends of their wings, or have them use their feet.
>>
>>46005562
Bats are surprisingly cute. I want one.
>>
>>46004805
Jesus christ that gif is adorable
>>
>>46005466
I think you mean sapient. A cow is sentient. I still disagree.
>>
I was considering harpies descended from apes, who evolved analogous to fruit bats, but retained hand-like feet (like chimpanzees have) with which they can hold things and use tools.
They'd look pretty grotesque/horror-y though.
>>
File: 500px-Windfury_Harpy_full.jpg (40KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Windfury_Harpy_full.jpg
40KB, 500x393px
>>46001595
>>46000261
Indeed
>>
File: I am the night.gif (2MB, 248x295px) Image search: [Google]
I am the night.gif
2MB, 248x295px
>>46005578
>>
Bump for harpies and harpy arm reasoning
>>
>>46005578
They carry every disease. You're better off without.
>>
>>46007640
Vaccinations are a thing. The only issue i have with bats is their literal non-stop urinating and inability to learn where they can and can't shit.
>>
>>46000261
Is it "cheating" for humans to try to develop magical/psionic powers of flight (like Fly) to compensate for their lack of wings, or is it only sensible in a high fantasy, high magic world?
>>
>>46007640
So do people.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n1fr1cswBH1r3jxl7.jpg (25KB, 500x202px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n1fr1cswBH1r3jxl7.jpg
25KB, 500x202px
>>46005562
Just do Dromaeosaur hands. Its anatomically possible and generally looks cooler.
>>
>>46000261
>That filename
Bullshit.
>>
>>46000524
It makes sense to compensate for a natural weakness, but I think the better question is: Would Harpy casters even come up with the idea themselves? I mean, they have no concept of "hands" and presumably got along pretty well with whatever they were doing before.

They might only get the idea from handed casters when the cultures meet.
>>
>>46000261
>draw a girl
>call it a boy
JAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
>>
>>46007982
Bats are disease resevoirs. It's on a whole other scale.
>>
>>46006623
Top kek
>>
>>46006623
That bat is amazing
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.