[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a programmer, what cool /tg/ related program could I make?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 1455862057595.jpg (61KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455862057595.jpg
61KB, 500x720px
As a programmer, what cool /tg/ related program could I make?
>>
>>45988645
Character generator, that generates, class, stats, backstory and everything needed.
>>
Chapter Master 2.0
>>
Very extensive custom dice calculator that lets you punch in shit like x wing dice and give you results.
>>
>>45988645
Character randomiser for your choice of popular game. Get a whole bunch of tables. A whole bunch. You haven't got enough. Get more. Little more. That'll do to start.

Make it so you can click on the little dice icon in the corner of the screen and you get a level one character. With name, likes, dislikes, allergies, basic backstory, anal circumference and living family members. Bonus points for semi-coherent backstory.
Then start a thread on /tg/ to add to the tables.
>>
>>45988645
Either a character generator (bonus points for random backstory!) or, cough, /dgg/, cough.
>>
>>45988692
>>45988738
>>45988880
The problem with character generators is that it's mostly data entry and stuff rather than programming and ensuring that generated data is within rules. There's also a bunch of those out there.

>>45988703
There's a bunch of dice scripts out there, not sure why would I bother making yet another one.

>>45988693
I don't really know much about Chapter Master and it'd be too big of a scope for a one man army.
>>
>>45988946
That's the main requests to be honest.

I'm going to say it again though, go /dgg/.
>>
>>45988946
How about a random map generator?
>>
>>45988991
Still trying to decipher you.

>>45989003
Now that sounds more interesting. What kinda generator do you have in mind? Something tailored to a specific tabletop that generates the map with the world setting and NPCs and such?
>>
File: 1448247467834.gif (684KB, 286x274px) Image search: [Google]
1448247467834.gif
684KB, 286x274px
Make something akin to maptools for a specific game that automates combat for the players while allowing the GM to alter things freely for stuff not written into the rules.
>>
I think one of the most demanded suites would be some kind of database/generator program for managing a setting+campaign.

Something like Scrivener but made for TTRPGs, where a simple search function or category-sorting feature lets the user quickly locate keywords for characters and places.

I know I saved a screenshot of an older thread where the "demands" for this program were more properly enunciated but this is all I can recall.
>>
>>45988946
Well... What *can* you do then? Assume we're idiot clients who don't know what a programmer is.
>>
File: AllTheCyberpunk.jpg (403KB, 1200x850px) Image search: [Google]
AllTheCyberpunk.jpg
403KB, 1200x850px
>>45988645
Depends on your skills and interests, OP. What *can* you do, and what are you interested in doing?
>>
>>45989038

Eh, if you don't know what it is in the first place then there isn't a good chance of you making it.

But I'm in agreement about map generators. Specifically non-fantasy ones, there are plenty of map-gens or map creators for those, make some for Call of Cthulhu or some sci-fi colony etc.
>>
File: 1453468710074.jpg (60KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
1453468710074.jpg
60KB, 500x411px
A tabletop program to play with online groups that automatically roots out autists and other assorted faggots that ruin the game.

So basically, just remove the text chat option and you've successfully culled the autists.
>>
>>45989056
>>45989060
I can make a huge variety of applications from servers, through desktop programs and generators to video games. As for interests, I don't have any specific in mind, I just decided to walk into random boards, starting with /tg/, and askking about what programs they'd like to see written and then pick what seems to be the most entertaining project.
>>
File: roll20-logo.png (21KB, 550x150px) Image search: [Google]
roll20-logo.png
21KB, 550x150px
Make a website that lets me review players and GM's online based on their roll20 profile.

And that lets me find players that aren't shit with ease.
>>
>>45989329
Procedural generation is fun. There's a lot out there on procedural map generation, but you could go a step or two beyond. Take one of the CYOA/civ things, and make something that randomly builds and populates a world.

>>45989112
>Specifically non-fantasy ones, there are plenty of map-gens or map creators for those, make some for Call of Cthulhu or some sci-fi colony etc.

This would be great. I've had a project like this in various stages of back-burner since forever.

>>45988946
>There's a bunch of dice scripts out there, not sure why would I bother making yet another one.

There's niches that haven't been served, but I might not bother unless there's a specific context. Donjon or Technoir dice, for example.
>>
>>45989446
>world generator
If it can make towns with notable landmarks that alone would be amazing.

Be best if it worked out natural terrain, then situated town sites, then transport links, then enlarged towns based on trade/resources available.
>>
It's been a long time since anyone made a decent GURPS character generator/maintenance tool
>>
Make a version of Roll20 that doesn't lock API scripting behind a paywall.
>>
>>45989055
>Something like Scrivener but made for TTRPGs
Shit, I've had Scrivener all this time and never thought to use it to organize campaigns.
>>
Make a program that can calculate success probabilities for dice pools.

Example: I have 5d10s, and I need to roll a 7 or better to get one success. To win on this roll, I need at least two successes. What are my chances of winning?
>>
>>45991868
http://anydice.com/
output [count {7..10} in 5d10]
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.