[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Card Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I have a question for those who play card based games; Why don't you just find the cards you want online and print them out to play with?
I'm not saying you try to pass them off as real ones, but what's the point in spending money on cards when you can just print them?
Thanks
>>
>>45932394
It's not fair to your opponent if they spent real money on their piece of cardboard. If you and your friends are all doing a print-out like you're suggesting, then no problem. But if your opponent's cards were all bought legitimately, you have to get on their level.
>>
>>45932394
I have a question for those who shop in cash-based stores; Why don't you just find the bills you want online and print them out to purchase with?
I'm not saying you try to pass them off as real ones, but what's the point in withdrawing real money when you can just print it?
Thanks
>>
>>45932644
That's illegal
>>
>>45932394
Many people do just that. Or use free online software that amounts to the same thing. It's not the same feeling as owning the real cards, though, and you typically can't play with them in tournaments. And some whiny cunts throw a fit if you didn't spend as much on your casual deck as they did.

>>45932737
You're a retard.
>>
>>45932644
False equivalence.

The former is creating counterfeits to stand for the real deal. This in no way has any effect other than cancelling out the affordability advantage.

The latter is exchanging counterfeits for real goods. The analogy deviates here and thus does not work.
>>
>>45932930
So you think it's fair to the people who buy their cards legitimately? You think it's fair to the company that makes the product? It's dishonorable and unAmerican. Go home and rethink your life.
>>
1. I feel like a cheapass when I make proxies to test out deck alterations, let alone play only with proxies
2. I can't find anywhere that prints ones that look good
>>
Not OP, but I'm gonna pitch something different to you guys: Counterfeiting cards is a dick move, but what about using counterfeits and proxies for miniature wargames like Warhammer? Is it unfair to the guys who paid for the genuine minis, or does the time and effort you spend customizing a model outside of the official parameters make it okay?
>>
>>45932992
>>45932992
>So you think it's fair to the people who buy their cards legitimately? You think it's fair to the company that makes the product?
Fuck that, they get nothing from the secondary market. And how are FLGSs/online stores owed anything for a product they didn't make? Naw man, people will buy the cards if they want the cards, but using proxies until you decide you want to buy a deck is just plain smart. Friends will understand and appreciate your frugality if they aren't spergs.
>>
>>45933692
>using proxies until you decide you want to buy a deck
Isn't what I thought OP was talking about. Yeah, I substitute cards to practice potential decks before I spend my money all the time. There's nothing wrong with that, but actively counterfeiting a card to use in a real duel against someone who isn't also doing that is a dick move.
>>
>>45932394

It's called proxying and people actually do it sometimes for the purposes of deck testing and friendly play. The reason it's not common is because such cards are rarely if ever tournament-legal, in order to ensure that everyone at the tournament is actually invested in the game at some level and maintain a certain atmosphere.

Most of the time an official tournament for any card game you care to mention will demand that all cards be authentic, but judges will issue proxies that are good until the end of the event if a card is damaged or otherwise marked during play. Third-party tournaments for games that are really expensive to play, like Magic's vintage format, will often allow you to proxy a certain percentage of your deck to ease the financial strain and help players avoid risking wear and damage to really valuable cards.

If someone's going to get mad at you for using proxies in a casual or friendly game, you probably don't want to play with them anyway, but if you show up with a deck that is ALL proxies or something ridiculous like that, it's kind of tacky. It's one thing to proxy valuable cards that you don't have yet while you're testing a deck, but if you aren't buying any cards at all, stick to online platforms like Cockatrice, Dueling Network, Jinteki, OCTGN, whatever.
>>
>>45933734
Well yeah. If you bring your proxied out supercharged decks to Commander/Legacy Nights at the FLGS every time, you're going to get a reputation.
>>
>>45932394
Personally, it just doesn't feel right.

And I like having the actual cards. Same reason I buy physical books instead of the pdf.
>>
>>45932394
I don't know, why don't you just give yourself whatever stats you want when making a RPG character?
>>
If you ever try out a foreign card game with no English translations, doing proxies can be a really good solution to the language barrier. It also allows you and the people you play with to test out a game before you consider investing anything into it.
>>
>>45932644
You can't just print money though.
>>
>>45932394
Same reason you buy a book instead of downloading a PDF or borrowing from a library.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.