[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I enjoy figuring out how to make overpowered characters, as a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: agahnim2.jpg (61KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
agahnim2.jpg
61KB, 350x250px
I enjoy figuring out how to make overpowered characters, as a sort of puzzle. D&D 3.5 is the most fun system for this, but I'm kind of sick of it. What else is a good system for character optimization puzzles?

(4E is boring because the results are constrained to marginally stronger combat characters. Mutants And Masterminds is boring because it's too easy to break. The point is the puzzle, not powergaming.)
>>
GURPS. Have fun with that.
>>
Why not sit and masturbate instead? Same result.
>>
Magic: the Gathering.
>>
>>45931404
>>45931207
Thanks for the recommendations. I probably should take the plunge with GURPS already.

>>45931261
>I think literally every solo activity is masturbation because that's how I spend all my time alone.
>>
Meme system aside, GURPS is amazing at this. Especially when you have a shitty GM who doesn't know how to run GURPS and just plops the book down and goes "make a character"

I like to think that's how Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy was made. Someone just min maxed the fuck out of him.
>>
>>45930207
I was curious what you could do to powergame Nwod.
>>
I'll preface by saying it's definitely got the same flaw as 4e, and that I couldn't send it today, but if I emailed or skyped you a homebrew rpg, would you be interested in trying to 'break' it?
>>
>>45930207
>I enjoy figuring out how to make overpowered characters, as a sort of puzzle.
mein negger
>>
>>45932923
Try out the GURPS chargen and a few relevant PDFs (so you actually know what certain effects are. You may think it means it does X based on its name when it doesn't and that's something else).

Just bear in mind there's like a 70% chance your GM will reject some of those sourcebooks and splats, will limit the anount of flaws you can have, or that they may not be using X amount of points to begin with.
>>
>>45934165
>>45931207
So how does minmaxing GURPS work? Do you pick a specific point buy and try to go above what's supposed to be possible for that number of points?

Is it considered more impressive to do things with fewer splatbooks? And are specific splats considered more impressive to break? (Like, in D&D, the setting-specific splats are, right or wrong, considered easier to break than anything else.)

>>45934196
I don't think I could stomach reading WoD stuff now that I'm no longer a teenager (and quite far from it).

But I took a quick look around and it looks like a good start would be pepper spray for combat and Dominate for everything else.
>>
Shadowrun 5e has lots of optimisation potential.
>>
>>45934423
Which flaws? 4E is boring because going through power selections is a massive slog, it's reasonably balanced, and what you get out of it is purely different combat modifiers. A lot of the fun is diving into a cha-based combat build and finding out that for some reason that's a holy bard with a mild snow theme.

Being reasonably balanced isn't really bad on its own, combat focus is tolerable, but the massive slog of powers is the killer.

So if you're not describing your system as a massive slog, I can take a look. Especially if it's short. Though I think you should just post the PDF in the thread. I've published all my homebrew on /tg/.
>>
>>45934605
Basically you get x amount of points, like 200 is a common one. You can get more points by taking disadvantages, which usually has a limit of like 50. So you can buy 50 points of useless disadvantages like short, halitosis, ugly, etc. And then throw all your 250 into just a few things. You can do it with just the core book. But any gm worth anything will see what your doing and tell you to fuck off, since GURPS isn't a game like we think of it, it's a toolkit for a game and the gm is encouraged to pick what is and isn't appropriate for his game.

New GMs or inexperienced ones will let anything fly though. Which is why some min maxed asshole will show up with a with a stupid, ugly, smelly gorilla but he has a robot suit so no one knows and he's better than everyone and no one wants to play again because the gm didn't give a list of acceptable character options.
>>
>>45934605
>>45934786
I'm drunk so I hope that made at least some sense.
>>
>>45934605
For GURPS it really does depend on the setting. Certain splats exist to expand certain concepts since it's made to be modular and run almost everything. A lot of rules are also optional so a broken character relying on called shots becomes weaker if the GM isn't using called shots. It's what keeps GURPS in balance, that and its community.

For instance the Kung Fu book will give all these cool melee attacks and maneuvers whereas by default most games will use the baseline CQC skill which can be summed up as 'I won't suck complete dick if it comes down to fists'. Quite a contrast. If you spend a bunch of points on Kung Fu stuff depending on the campaign and setting you can be right at home, be a fighting god in a normal modern setting, or be a dummy who wasted his points. Certain shit is always strong no matter what of course, ask GURPS general for some dirty tips. They'll help.

The best challenge is making a strong character with the least amount of points spent and also the least amount of flaws (they handicap you but give you more points). Ranged weaponry becomes strong really fast in my experience, no matter the setting it's always pretty lethal in GURPS. There are various magic systems, some really cool, but I don't know them all very well and your GM can veto those easy since he will probably use one magic system for his fantasy campaign for obvious reasons.
>>
>>45934835
*its community that accepts the GM can veto entire rules, abilities, and books
>>
>>45934835
>>45934786
I'm not so green that I think stacks of flaws are clever. It's almost the definition of the difference between character optimization and munchkinism.

Thanks for the pointers.
>>
Fantasy Craft can be fun.
>Hydra martial artist
>>
>>45930207
Obviously free-from roleplaying is what you're looking at.

Logic traps instead of letting somebody else ascribe arbitrary numbers.

Best of luck, anon.
>>
>>45934993
I actually play mostly Risus variants.

Character optimization and roleplaying are not the same hobby.
>>
>>45930207
Savage World- crazy numbers and system abuse everywhere
>>
>>45934945
Another nuance, and something important in Modern or Scifi games is how a GM handles firearms skills.

So for instance GURPS balances firearms, especially since they're so common in those settings, by making gun types different skills.

So you have variants of skills like

Guns (Rifles)
Guns (Handguns)

If they get really simulationist and low power level they could even go.

Guns (name of a specific gun)

Almost no one goes that far though.

However if your GM just goes

Guns

Then you have even more points in the long run since all firearms go off the same skill. If this happens it means he is going for a crazier campaign or has no idea what he is allowing. Seems like a small thing but those little things make or break builds and the powerlevel of the game.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.