[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/ I need a decent armor mechanic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 3141163.jpg (51KB, 500x436px) Image search: [Google]
3141163.jpg
51KB, 500x436px
So I'm working on a sort of squad/skirmish game very akin to infinity and I'm playing around with different mechanics. Got most of them down, but I have quite a few ideas in terms of how to handle armor... which leaves me with no idea at all.

Here's how damage works:
Very akin to a few Spartan games, it is a D6 based system where 4+ is a success. Therefore, if a player is to roll 3D6 for damage, every 4+ is an inflicted point of damage.

Now, I want to add armor and armor piercing to the game but I am unsure as to how the two should interact. The current Ideas I have in mind are:

1. Treat AP and ARM as you woult T annd S in 40k, therefore modifying the damage roll into a sort of "to wound" roll.

2. Having armor work like shields or point defence in Firestorm Armada as in the player also rolls a bunch of D6 and every success cancels out a damage success. Then AP would be the same thing except canceling out ARM rolls.

3. As above except AP simply reduces the ARM value, therefore the number of dice being rolled.

4. Same as above except AP modifies the armor roll by inflicting a penalty, such as 5+ for success.

5. Varying combinations of the above.

What's your take on a good ARM vs AP system /tg/ ?
>>
Heroscape
>>
>>45929188
100% honest, I have NEVER heard of this game somehow until now and I am taking a look at the rules right now.
>>
>>45929252
So I've looked through the 2nd ed rules real quick and it looks a lot like option 2 but I have not found anything dealing with armor penetration which is what's really bugging me, because I want that to be an important part of the game. Anything I might have missed?
>>
>>45928969
spitballing a d6 system.

Roll Xd6. More reach and more accurate attacks lets you roll more dice.

More powerful and hard to deflect attacks have a +modifier

Rolls with a Critical weapon/attack are treated as multiple instances of that roll, but only if they succeed at rolling over AC.

Armor is treated as successive Armor "Plates". Every time an attack roll goes over the AC of the outermost "Plate", that plate is breached. When the plates representing vital organs are breached, injuries/death occur.

Armor Pierce X allows a weapon's attack rolls to be used on any of X plates past the outermost layer.

Only organic Plates can be healed by restoratives.
>>
>>45929913
Attacks that do not breach a plate but reach half the AC rating deal Scratch damage. Enough Scratch damage lowers the AC rating of the plate.

Sturdy characters have the benefit of stronger organic armor even without weighing themselves down with additional layers.

Dodgy characters make rolls to reduce the modifiers of enemies, but are quickly overwhelmed if outnumbered.
>>
With the way you're doing "hits", I'd venture that whichever system you use, you'll have to keep the values pretty low.

I prefer doing them as modifiers on the "attack" rolls, if only to avoid additional die rolls.
>>
>>45930163
I do something similar in my own skirmish rules, but have a much higher base hit rate (attacks against a naked target hit on 2+). That lets me have both Cover and Armor add to the "to hit" requirement, and makes it feel like you have to be careful and cautious, or else you're just a massive target.
>>
>>45930018
Interesting approach. I had something along those lines in the way of considering aim and cover... Unfortunately this sounds a little hefty on the spot for a quick paced skirmish game, but I like the plating idea. Not sure I want to implement criticals just yet. I want to keep randomness to a minimum. Mostly I want to use it to define success/failure. I don't want situations of unwaranted OVERWHELMING success or OVERWHELMING failure unless the context has been pretty much set up for it. For the restorative aspect, HP is already seperate from armor and it could play the role of that "organic" armor... which would falter with the model's HP... keep em comming guys I got a good feeling about this.
>>
>>45930163
agreed with that aspect... most of the time, players will be rolling 2 or 3 dice... 4 being a huge stat.
>>
X-wing system is fun - defender rolls dice equal to evade value.
But - hit dice has at least 50% chance to score, while evade is 3/8.

But honestly I liked how armor was handled in xcom2
Armor reduces damage done by armor value. No rolls - just straight protection.
Armor shredding weapons permanently remove x amount of armor per hit. Key word - permanently.
>>
>>45930233
The way I was thinking of implementing this is by having cover give massive armor boosts and good aim rolls ignore pieces of cover... like that a bad aim roll has the bullet going through too thick cover to actually do anything while high AP weapons might actually make it through to the target anyway.
>>
>>45930410
Is the "aim vs cover" roll separate from the standard attack roll? Is it something you only do some times, or is it something that happens every time?
>>
>>45930576
Essentially, performing an attack involves to hit followed by damage... to hit a target, you roll a number of dice equal to your aim stat and require one success to hit. This can be modified by weapon and range, etc. Then if a hit is scored, you roll a number of d6 equal to the damage of the weapon. each success shoul reduce HP by one point. All stats should be revolving around 2 or 3 with extremes reaching 1 or 4.
>>
So damage isn't correlated with hit numbers?

Maybe limit dice, or do something like -
2 damage dice per hit result. Up to 8 dice.

Or weapon gets 4damage dice, and up to 6 per successful hit.

Which would include slight critical mechanic, without making it too random(as in lucky critical wins the day)

Also - speaking about critical - X-wing has great system - instead of extra damage(well it can happen too) you get negative effect - either temporary, or one that can be fixed.
For example
You cannot do red manoveurs (hard ones)
Or
Your initiative value is set to 0
Etc.
>>
>>45930834
Stats are inflated compared to your example though.
>>
File: IMG_8175.jpg (286KB, 1069x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8175.jpg
286KB, 1069x1600px
OP here calling it a night, I jotted down a few notes from this... thanks a ton guys. This has left me with even more mechanics to test which I guess is a good problem. Here's hoping the thread is still up tomorrow with more ideas.
>>
Here's an idea. Use the same dice for attacking and defending. A 1-3 is a successful attack and counts for one damage when attacking. A 4-5 is a successful block and reduces incoming damage by one. A 6 is a failed die, meaning nothing happens.
103 brownie points for who can guess where this system is stolen from.
>>
>>45930834
I was planning on having aim affect damage on certain types of weapons... such as sniper rifles or the like. I do rather enjoy X-Wing but they have the whole card system for crits.
Also, >>45930871 has a point... the dice are rather inflated for the HP all things considered. I don't necessarily want every single bullet to be a death blow ;)
>>
>>45930949
Imperial assault? Heroscape? Dust?
no... shit wait... I know this
>>
>>45928969
>1. Treat AP and ARM as you woult T annd S in 40k, therefore modifying the damage roll into a sort of "to wound" roll.
I don't know 40k, so this is gibberish to me.

>2. Having armor work like shields or point defence in Firestorm Armada as in the player also rolls a bunch of D6 and every success cancels out a damage success.
Unless it yields significantly superior mechanical results, I'd stay away from making the defender roll dice as it slows things down.

>4. Same as above except AP modifies the armor roll by inflicting a penalty, such as 5+ for success.
Why not have armor penalize the target number of damage rolls and AP negates armor? Though d6's might not have the range you want, as 2 points of armor would mean that you only wound 1/3 as often. If you were using d10's, it would work better (6 or over to wound, armor raises the target number by 1-3 points, AP negates 1 point of armor).
>>
>>45930949
Arena of the Planeswalkers?
>>
>>45931076
I like that last suggestion very much... I was hesitating a lot about maybe migrating to D10 or D8. This also gives me another idea. Like on the damage roll, your D6 needs to exceed armor to be considered a success with AP lowering the armor directly. This would have the effect of high AP weapons causing damage directly
>>
>>45931128
Correctamundo.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.