[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warhammer 40k start collecting packa.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: StartCollectingTau01.jpg (222KB, 920x950px) Image search: [Google]
StartCollectingTau01.jpg
222KB, 920x950px
Hi /tg/.
Anyone know if these start collecting packs for 40k are points-balanced. It meaning; If I buy one of these and a friend of mine buys another but with a different army, can we play against one another right away?
Also, is this a welcome thing fron GW in your opinion, do you feel these start collecting packs helps you get started? are some worth more then other armies in terms of moneycosts since you seem to get 1HQ, 1troop and 1Elite in each of the packs and I don't know but some as I remember it are worth less points then others? Still, all the start collecting packs costs the same amount of money.
Been a long time since I last played so knows very little about the pointsystem atm, but seems unfair if some armies have less points in these packa yet costs the same amount of money.
>>
Depends on the upgrades you give them, but they are all about 400 points.
>>
>>45897488
>is a GW game/product balanced

lel no. I don't know much about these boxes but I can just tell from a glance that the IG one is much weaker than the others because it has a tank and some guardsmen, while other boxes have "big thing" + the same number of much stronger infantry
>>
>>45898381

I dunno, the guardsmen have a heavy weapons team, so those Tau are going to get pounding from that Leman russ and only the Crisis suits would have a chance of killing it.
>>
>>45897488
>If I buy one of these and a friend of mine buys another but with a different army, can we play against one another right away?

Not in any way that's fun or balanced.

The starter packs are a decent deal price wise (for GW) but they're not meant to match up against each other.

The price of the products is not proportional to the game units. Building an army for one of the factions that use way, way more miniatures than the elite armies is just flat out more expensive money wise.
>>
>>45897488
Because you get so few Miniatures, if you are st on picking one up why don't you read up on Killteam: Heralds of Ruin. You could probably each make a balanced team on that system, and get some games in at a skirmish level.
>>
>>45897488
>>45898927
Looking at just space marines and tau, you could get an even 250 point game in HoR with the boxes
>>
>>45897488
It sounds like balance, fun, and fairness are things that matter to you. If I'm correct, just stay away from 40k. It's currently the most unbalanced its ever been.
>>
>>45899227
Yeah, if you enjoy well designed games you'd do well to stay away from 40k, and GW in general.
>>
>>45897488

GW definitely have made an improvement with these formation-packed boxes. Before, you needed a friend to split a starter, which contained pre-cut scenarios and I feel you get more straight in to what the game really is with these new "single player" boxes. It also gives you and your friend(s) the option to pick and chose amongst different theme than those displayed in the starter.

On the downside though, it is a bit like >>45898381 mention, GW has horrible balance issues from codex to codex. This makes the starter boxes very un-even.
When you get in to the game though, to be able to pick and chose from you own main team, and its surroundings (formations and allies), you can all build more competitive lists. But just don't get sucked in to this "muh codex is the worst" trap, think outside the box when building lists.
With this in mind, and cleaver conversion work, you can do just about anything (just watched the latest batrep from thelongwar on YouTube, his Orky-knight army is wicked! Really shows how the hobby can be used to complement your games).
>>
>>45899435
That and the imbalance is only an issue at the extreme end of things. If everyone is aproaching it casually and building armies they like instead of ones as optimised as possible its balanced enough.
>>
>>45899435

Oh, and regarding the points question. Just calculate how much base points is in your boxes, and set a mark slightly above that, this will allow for some customization, and you all know your playing the same amount of points.

The Astra millitarum for instance is packed with as little as 265p base cost (give or take), and the Tau box is around 211p base, compared to the Mechanicus box thats almost 300p base and you will see that some teams will get the benefit of customization in your small games, where others gets more expensive units.
>>
>>45899553
At the extreme end of competitiveness that is.
>>
>>45899553
This is plain wrong. The balance is so goddamn fucked that you can build a completely useless army by accident. Hell, it's even likely if you just field what looks cool to you and buy into trap units.
>>
File: Magic.jpg (68KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Magic.jpg
68KB, 250x250px
>>45899907
>buying just the models you like is WrongBad

Neu/tg/ in a nutshell.
>>
>>45899907
>The balance is so goddamn fucked that you can build a completely useless army by accident
That's true of pretty much any wargame though. And not really a balance issue either just a side affect of having choices.
>>
File: 40k-final.jpg (55KB, 300x424px) Image search: [Google]
40k-final.jpg
55KB, 300x424px
>>45897488
honestly if you are starting out you are better off playing 1p40k or 1pKT with the new boxes

https://onepagerules.wordpress.com/

you can play games with smaller armies than regular 40k and the rules are an easy stepping stone to the GW rules. also it's free

so give them a try, once you got the hang of it you can buy the books and upgrade to the GW rules
>>
>>45899907
If you want balance, play chess or duplicate bridge.

If you want to play a silly game pushing cool models around a table with your friends, play 40k.
>>
File: This is your Swede on drugs.gif (2MB, 243x199px) Image search: [Google]
This is your Swede on drugs.gif
2MB, 243x199px
>>45900310
Why settle for mediocrity though? 40k has some great models and lore, but the rules are terrible.
Bolt Action would probably do 40k better than the official rules.
>>
>>45897488
You pay for the models, not the rules. Do you like the models and would you enjoy lovingly assembling and painting them, taking great care to read the instructions, clean mold lines, and thin your paints?

If no, don't even bother playing miniatures games. Yeah, the IG one is garbage, but if you like Cadians it's alright value.

They're called "Start COLLECTING", not "Start GAMING" for a reason.
>>
>>45899553
Bullshit. Unless both players are really terrible casual gamers ironically suffer the most since they are relentlessly punished for taking fluffy armies. A waac player will just take the strongest thing going and give no fucks for the setting.
>>45899227
This. Seriously this.
>>45897488

Get into x-wing, the starter sets are balanced and fun as fuck.
>>
>>45900353
Bolt action is the single most boring set of rules on the entire planet. Random activation order doesn't account for a balanced game and can really punch one side in the face if it goes one way.
>>
File: 1376983603629.jpg (176KB, 1450x1406px) Image search: [Google]
1376983603629.jpg
176KB, 1450x1406px
>>45901835

> A waac player will just take the strongest thing going and give no fucks for the setting

Not necessarily true, because if that said waac player is also a fan of the lore, he will make it work!
As mentioned in my post above, the latest the long war batrep features a knight army with an orky approach, totally fucking awesome and in my own opinion, really what makes this hobby so great!

>>45901114

>Only get the models you love

Word! I cannot stress this enough, if you don't dig the models or the theme/setting, just don't buy them. It doesn't matter if you get the latest and greatest of Eldar grease list, if you don't find the models appealing at all, you will be stuck playing grey for the rest of the time, hating the 85% left of the actual hobby, only looking forward to your next game (where you will shitstomp everyone of your friends until they grow tired of you, and simply wont play you).

>>45900310

>There are no truly balanced wargames out there

This! Taken some games are better than others, 40k is a all-round hobby, with gaming possibilities, thats (personal opinion) really fun.

>>45899907

You have been stuck on /tg/´s 40k thread to much I take it. In truth, you rarely find the op players /tg/ talks about. And the fact that all /tg/ cares about is mathhammer, anything else is pure luck/un-luck.

In a game, anything can happen. Experience DO matter, no matter what you have heard. And more than often you find yourself playing just a regular guy that enjoys the hobby, not that waac player from /tg/´s nightmares.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.