[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anti(ish)-HFY (?)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

The first contact after years and years finally happens.
And what is more, the aliens seems to be both friendly and with good intentions.
Still, as we meet them we quickly learn that they are -by a wide margin- 'superior' to us in all fields except the physical one (whenever it's being tougher, stronger or whatever).

>How would this affect the relationship between this alien specie and humans, assuming the aliens aren't minding us at all or our differences?

>How would our culture change?

>Would it move more toward physical fitness over all the other fields?

>What other consequences this would bring among the human population in the long and short term?
>>
Within a year or two, the entire world becomes focused on that single thing we're really good at, our whole culture centering on it and how you aren't worth anyone's while if you can't do it well, disdain towards aliens for not being able to do it, all of it masking an incredibly dark and deep inferiority complex that may or may not eventually result in a desperate war against the aliens.
>>
>>45884247
Im just waiting for Ambassador Ayy to show up as per his usual
>>
>>45884247
So we're the trolls, then?
>>
>>45884527
Ogres. We don't regenerate.
>>
>>45884384
What is it? Is it sex? Oh wait...
>>
>>45884806
Oh, you know it.

Humans are a wretched, stupid, weak, underdeveloped race, but we are sex gods. We will be loved for it regardless. That is to be our niche in the universe.
>>
>>45884855

What if it isn't true, but the aliens are completely rocking it, blowing anyone's mind?
>>
>>45884247
Any interstellar civilization is going to look and behave pretty much the same because of physical constraints. If aliens come to Earth (which is very unlikely given the age of the universe, which is presently at the very beginning of the potential for life), then they will not be some silly space opera buffoons who have to deal with scarcity in the way we deal with it, they will be past a singularity and likely mostly virtual. Real interstellar civilizations will resemble something between Eclipse Phase's transhumanity and The Culture.
>>
>>45885306
What if everything just sucks?
>>
>>45885394
So if such a setting made first contact, what would be the most likely single attribute that humans could still be superior to them at?
>>
>/tg/ creates a popular genre of sci-fi
>/tg/ destroys a popular genre of sci-fi

Don't you get it? We are the memes, anons.
>>
>>45885394

I don't think that's what OP asked in his theoretical scenario.
I mean, probably you are not wrong , but...
>>
>>45885497
Nothing. Human beings would definitely be vastly inferior to any interstellar civilization because that civilization will be artificially enhanced well beyond any "advantages" evolution's clumsy dithering might provide.
>>
>>45885394
>which is very unlikely given the age of the universe, which is presently at the very beginning of the potential for life
I respectfully disagree, and so does Enrico Fermi.
>>
>>45885394
>>45885552
Well, while interesting, it's also quite boring. Can we not speculate and fantasize?
>>
>>45884247
Then humans would embrace trans-humanism without considering the consequences as a way to make up for the difference.
>>
>>45884247
I for one would gladly join the intergalactic foreign legion.
>>
>>45884247

I wonder what kind of phisical trait/skill could be the best one to have in that scenario.

>>45884855
Well, except the obvious sex skills I guess.
>>
>>45885812
You can talk about whatever you want but recognize that you're just wanking over pulpy genre clichés.
>>
>>45885969
Still more interesting than "It wouldn't happen, fuck you".

If I wanted reality I'd walk out the door.
>>
>>45885969
>Like you're not wanking over your own cliches?
>>
>>45886028
No, no, no, it's INDISPUTABLE that the only possible future will be boring and mundane, so there's no point making a thread on /tg/ full of interesting and relatively implausible ideas. To attempt this would be to upset the delicate sensibilities of that other anon.
>>
>>45886865
>post singularity, post scarcity society
>boring and mundane
shiggydiggydoo
>>
>>45885408

this
>>
>>45887012
When that society is something other than humanity, and we're reduced to completely insignificant cockroaches by comparison? Yeah, it kinda is.

OP's scenario honestly is a great deal more interesting than that, even if incredibly implausible by comparison. It'd make for better and more curious worldwide implications than us just universally sucking in every way - and definitely better than straight-played HFY circlejerk.
>>
>>45885969
But anon, luscious genre clichés just don't get me off anymore.
>>
>>45884247
I would say that depends entirely on if they:
1. Rub their superiority in our faces
2. Agree to help/mentor us in our betterment

If they're as friendly as you claim, and compassionate, I would assume (given the suppression of all xenophobic extremists) that we could massively improve human society, moving past certain primitive and unwholesome mass-consumptive, capitalist impulses and more towards self-betterment and a sense of international and inter-planetary community.

Basically the United Federation of Planets.
>>
>Turns out humans are the best in the galaxy at fiction
>We make the best entertainers
>We make the best best spies and scoundrels
>We give the best speeches
None of the other alien races can wrap their heads around how easily we twist the perception of reality. We are like insane wizard people. Humans seem to have barely enough focus to understand what is actually going on but somehow manage to function in spite this. What's more our madness is contagious to those directly within our presence.
Other than that super-power we are sort of sub-par in everything else. Thankfully we make up for our natural weakness by lying.
Those few times when a human actually is as awesome as he says he is leave a serious impression.

Large chunks of the human race become cosmic gypsies, entertaining and cheating planets everywhere.
Some of those gypsies turn legit and become Ferengi-like space corporations.
Others become entertainers and philosophers. The galaxy at large loves these humans to death because the are so "adorable and confusing." Sort of like if crazy homeless people were attractive.
A small few, still filled with pride, move to remote plants and set up small kingdoms. They becomes Wizards of Oz.
The rest become politicians and slow galactic government to snails pace.
>>
>>45887577
This is actually pretty neat. Arts and fiction should have nothing to do with singularity and such shit.

If anything, any creature capable of reaching us probably has really awful imagination.
>>
>>45884247
>anti-HFY
Very related.
http://www.rusf.ru/lukian/books/posol.htm (warning for untranslated Slav language).
>>
>>45889032
>Aliens have earthaboos
>>
>>45885394
>they will be past a singularity and likely mostly virtual.
How on earth did you reach the conclusion that if an extraterrestrial race exists, they will most likely be virtual by the time we meet them? Why, given everything life on earth has experienced, and the general inhospitablely that is the universe, do you think that other species will somehow be past the point of scarcity? Do you have any evidence to back these claims up, or are you merely talking out of your ass?
>>
>>45885394
>which is very unlikely given the age of the universe, which is presently at the very beginning of the potential for life
You should research more.
>they will be past a singularity and likely mostly virtual
This, along with your first statement, points me to the direction that you are pretty confused on the matter.
>>
>>45885520
>popular genre

I don't think you understand what a "genre" is.
Putting a retarded slogan on something doesn't make it a genre.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.