[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Humans, Dolphins, and Monkeys as Earthlings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Space Dolphin.jpg (225KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Space Dolphin.jpg
225KB, 1024x1536px
Say you have a space game where only Medically Advanced Dolphins and Monkeys and Humans are the only known Sentient beings after Colonizing maybe a dozen planets in the name of earth. Would you want Humans be divided into White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian or delve deeper and add Middle Eastern, Western European, and Native American? Should the Chimps be divided into Gorillas and real Chimps or should those Orange Ones or even the Smaller Monkeys be given Sentience? Dolphins are fine though, can't really Distinguished one from the other without trying hard. What should I do?
>>
>dolphins can't really be distinguished without trying hard.
disappointing
>>
>>45864342
Give em sub "races"

Humans: sure you wanna go there u go there

"Monkeys": Chimps, gorillas, orangutans

Dolphens: Fucking read up on dolphins bro don't do this

Give em modifiers to stat rolls or unique motivations based on this shit
>>
I'm very interested in two or three types each of Humans, Monkeys, and Dolphins.
The rest doesn't seem interesting at all, I'd rather see more functional divides based on the games actual mechanics.

Choice of 2 playable Monkeys: Strong or Quick
Choice of 2 playable Dolphins: Smart or Quick
Choice of 2 playable Humans: Strong or Smart

And then just fluffed to be whatever color you wanted.
>>
>>45864342
Actually...

Primates: Tool manipulation, empathy, etc. with varying intelligence and hedonism
Chimps, Gorillas, Orangutans, Humans (make them all generally as above with little tweaks fitting to their real life selves)

Dolphins: hedonism, speed, social intelligence, etc. with varying wisdom and intelligence
fucking read up on dolphins

Rodents: high intelligence and physical resilience, etc. with varying strength and stuff
Rats, Mice, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters

and the squids... nobody understands (or likes) the squids they're highly violent, unconventional, and unpredictable and they mostly stick to their own domain.
>>
The idea of Cetaceas, Great Apes, and Humans all being seen as Earthlings by an alien race is a fascinating idea.
>>
File: solomanicover.jpg (5MB, 2454x3425px) Image search: [Google]
solomanicover.jpg
5MB, 2454x3425px
>only earthnoids

Sounds like a future I can get behind.
>>
Categories:
>Primates: Humans, Chimps, Gorillas, Orangutans.
>Cetaceans: Dolphins, Orca, Beluga Whale.
>Cephalopods: Octopuses, Cuttlefish, Giant Squids.
>Birds: Grey Parrots, Macaws, Crows, Ravens.
All need significant bioengineering to be space worthy.
Especially humans.
>>
>>45864342
>monkeys, dolphins and humans
You seem to have read Startide rising, just swipe ideas from that. They even made a GURPS out of it. Uplift I think it was called.

>monkeys
Chimps, gorillas, orangutans

>Dolphins
Tursiops, stenos and orca spliced hybrids

>humans
I have no idea where you are going with asking about races
>>
>>45868693
>I have no idea where you are going with asking about races
k so i can rlly get behind making human a sub species of ape (cause, you know they are)

like there are hundreds of "races" of chimp, group of them separated by geography and, yes, even culture will end up with unique phenotypical traits. if you ain't gonna split every subspecies and breed of chimp or dolphin into its own thing i really can't see where you get off on splitting humans up
>>
do subspecies and races affect stats or are they just for flavor? if the soonest, distinctions ("what level of evolutionary distinction is worthy of its own labeled sub-race?") should be based on how differently the races, subspecies, or species are in terms of your game's stats. if the later, it should be based on aesthetic/cultural differences or differences in connotation (for instance, "chimp" may imply a different character, playful and clever and whimsical perhaps, than the word "gorilla" which implies a brutish and stubborn and strong nature) (and as you said, in the later case life that can't really be distinguished from each-other "without trying hard should be generalized together)

like we really gotta know how these labels are going to be mechanized before an opinion on how and why they should be divided can be informed (and thus useful)
>>
>>45864342
>Would you want Humans be divided into White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian or delve deeper and add Middle Eastern, Western European, and Native American? Should the Chimps be divided into Gorillas and real Chimps or should those Orange Ones or even the Smaller Monkeys be given Sentience? Dolphins are fine though, can't really Distinguished one from the other without trying hard.
OP, the first rule to making people thing you're smart is to not start off the thread by saying a bunch of stupid shit.
>>
>>45864342
>should those Orange Ones or even the Smaller Monkeys be given Sentience?

Orangutans are generally smarter than chimps by most of our human standards. And apes. And gorillas. And monkeys. Like literally just add an ability to learn grammar and they're basically 7-12 year old children. ...That can lift you up. They just need tools to communicate their experiances and to efficiently internalize and construct culture, like complex language skills. Without language humans might seem even dumber than chimps.

These animals are basically sentient already. For your setting you probs want some brain enhancement of some kind, or maybe just a box or chip insertion of some kind that reads their brain's abstract thoughts and arranges and plays them into grammatically structured sentences.
>>
To visit upon the human component of all this, I suggest you approach the race from an environmental adaption angle.

You could try Terran/Spacer, with the later being taller with good reflexes or other space related traits/adaptions.

The second is terran/extremophile, the latter being those who live/ have lived in extreme environments such as deserts, wastelands, cold, with trade offs as needed.
>>
>>45864342
Why divide them? You have species to provide variety.
Also, use the damn word. It's "uplifted". If you're cribbing everything else you might as well use that.
>>
File: 1304440101_00057.jpg (3MB, 3150x4824px) Image search: [Google]
1304440101_00057.jpg
3MB, 3150x4824px
>>45864342
The only reason to split up a species into racial groups would be for specimens that have adapted to other environments. Depending on the viability of terraforming and sustained survival of bubble environments, it might be better to customize races to fit existing alien biospheres.
>>
>>45864342
Dolphins breath air and hold their breath under water.
Helmet is full of water with a small ar bubble at top.
Dolphin drowns.

Some artists are retarded.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.