[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is not ok

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 16

File: Braille-RPG-Dice.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Braille-RPG-Dice.png
1MB, 1024x768px
This is not ok
>>
why not
>>
Hmm. Seems like something worth caring profoundly about.
>>
>>45559792
If they have proper weight, I don't see why not.
>>
>>45559792
Why not? Because they're 3D-Printed?
>>
it probably can't be as bad as most on the market dice, but those sides don't seem like they'd be evenly weighted
>>
>>45559792
My dad's blind. I think playing a tabletop with him would be fun. It isn't visually stimulating, so there wouldn't be worries there. Explaining the layout of a room to him during combat might be tricky through.

I don't see a problem with braille dice.
>>
>>45559792
I agree, that colour is just horrible.
>>
>>45559792
>not blind
>cares about blind people aid
>>
File: 1383074110462.gif (857KB, 500x281px)
1383074110462.gif
857KB, 500x281px
>>45559792
>This is not ok

Why? Because OP is a FAGGOT!
>>
>>45559792
Why not?
>>
>>45559821
Fuck off anti-sub shitter..
>>45559792
Why? Why don't you kill yourself to cope with the crushing despair the existence of blind people seemingly inflicts upon you?
>>
They really just can't find one not-blind person to play with?

Or, they don't just want to get an iphone and say "Hey sirri, roll a d20?"
>>
>>45559792
You're right, those seam lines are horrible.
>>
>>45559892
Why does that matter at all? Fuck off, you're trying to make a controversy out of literally nothing. Oh, no! Options! Novelty!
>>
>>45559878
I'm assuming because blind people can't see the roll, so they can fudge the numbers with no consequence. Also, it would be difficult to find once rolled.
>>
File: 1434372218842.jpg (65KB, 520x700px)
1434372218842.jpg
65KB, 520x700px
They look poorly constructed, and I wouldn't really suggest fiddling around for the dice if you're blind, since it's possible to knock them over or switch.

Honestly, I'd just tell them what they roll.
>>
>>45559892
What if I have a blind friend who wants to play?
Using phone apps just isn't the same
>>
>>45559922
Purposeless products, or even worse, products that make things harder than available alternatives, aren't really something worth praising.

It's not a great solution or idea.
>>
>>45559953
That's why the number is on there in Arabic numerals.

Honestly, you are all over reacting. Blind people want independence as much as any other human being, so why not let them have it.
>>
>>45559792
I genuinely don't understand why you're upset.
>>
>>45559953
Roll on the table for everyone to see. Blind person will have a general idea of where it landed and then they can just be careful not to tip the dice. If they do tip the die, then it's of no consequence really because the other players already saw the roll.

What don't tell me you don't do this already to keep that guy under control?
>>
>>45559970
Sit next to him and announce what he rolls.
>>
>>45560009
But this does the same thing without me needing to help him at all.
>>
>>45560009
>"Wow, that's your ninth 1 in a row, what are the odds, buddy?
>"This stopped being funny two hours ago, Frank."
>>
All joking aside, RPG-playing blind people are a huge fire hazard. They're bound to knock down one of your candelabras while flailing about eventually. It's a huge risk.
>>
Wait, so lemme get this straight.

It's fine when dice have weird symbols and shit in place of actual numbers, but if it has additional functionality beyond a normal die of its kind, it's a problem?

Are you for real?
>>
>>45560040
I just have one problem with this; the blind guy has to find where his dice rolled, and then touch it to know how much they rolled. Isn't there a big probability that he'll knock over the dice thus changing the score?
>>
>>45559863
Don't play 4e
>>
I think the idea has some merit but those are some gnarly seams splitting those dice. I feel like the d4 and the d10 would be annoying to read since some of the dots are caught in the seam.

>>45559953

>Also, it would be difficult to find once rolled

Rolling into some sort of tray or box lid would fix that pretty quickly.
>>
>>45560090
I don't think anyone in this thread has said that aside from you
>>
>>45560101
See >>45560006
A non blind person could be similarly guilty of changing their rolls.
>>
>>45560110
Wow, didn't notice that, they're pretty bad

I think the sharper edges are for the stability, so they're less easy to knock when you're feeling for them.

They won't roll as well as chamfered-edged dice, but they're more likely to stay on the sides they land on
>>
>>45560150
true but the blind guy is supossedly not doing it on purpose since he doesn't know the roll beforehand. Actually that makes me think that even if he knocks it out it could be acceptable for him to take the new value
>>
>>45560071
You have Candelabras?
>>
more important question-

having blind people in your campaign RPing non-blind people would be absolutely hilarious

think about it

just

they're literally pretending they can see

>sad
>>
>>45560209
This is literally no different from roleplaying in general.
>>
File: Black-Book-of-Colors.jpg (46KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
Black-Book-of-Colors.jpg
46KB, 500x324px
>>45560209

This is assuming they've been blind from birth.

Even if they are there's stuff like pic related to give them the jist of it.
>>
>>45560200
>it could be acceptable for him to take the new value
As long as the table can see it.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 600x800px)
image.jpg
43KB, 600x800px
I imagine playing with a blind person would be great. They probably get more easily immersed in the universe and all rolling can be solved with one of those mechanical dice rollers like pic.
>>
>>45560308

And the pranks. My God, think of the pranks!
>>
I feel like a better solution would be a device that has buttons, each one representing a die. You press the button and it reads out a result. So you press the first one and you hear "Three." It just has 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20, 100.. Maybe when you press the button multiple times it rolls multiples.
>>
Seems like a cool idea, as long as they roll in a small-ish tray or something to keep them easy to find..
>>
>>45559792
>>
>>45559792
This really makes me want to do some modification with an xacto knife and putty, cast, create in wax, and then brass with lost wax casting.

Do a final finish in brass, polish and balance... Could be pretty neato.
>>
Why don't blindies just use dice with indents like this?

PS fuck blind people what are they gonna do they can't ever know about me shitposting about them on this board

it's like the amish I can trash talk them as much as I wish and they will literally never know
>>
File: 1258911534568.jpg (99KB, 600x429px)
1258911534568.jpg
99KB, 600x429px
>>45560669
>he doesn't know about screen readers
>>
>>45560669
The funny part is if you weren't anonymous you would never have the balls to act like this so i dunno how it is you think anyone here is going to view you as a hardass.
>>
>>45560209
My cousin plays with a blind guy. He lost his vision at age 15.
He says TTRPGs are not too different with or without vision, really.
>>
>>45560956

>people do things when there are no consequences that they wouldn't do normally

Gee willykers you sure figured me out!
>>
>>45559792
The dice might be a bit unfair because of the weight of the bumps.
Also, to prevent blindy from tipping the dice when he tries to read them, they'll need to be fairly heavy.
Other than that, a decent idea.
>>
>>45559792
Wait, if they can't see, how can they read the rulebook?
>>
>>45559792
I don't see a problem.
>>
>>45560006
>>45561289
Alternately

>Blind person rolls
>Everyone sees what the blind person rolled ahead of time, but says nothing
>Blind person tips dice, thus changing roll
>Doesn't matter, because they would have had no clue and thus weren't making a conscious effort to change their score
>Simply allow them to read the dice as is post tip, and announce the score
>>
>>45561440
>>Doesn't matter, because they would have had no clue and thus weren't making a conscious effort to change their score
Blind people are basically no better than Xenos in the Big E's eyes. Impurity and all that.
Well, as the Xenos is cunning, so too are the blind.
>>
>>45561501
>Blind people are basically no better than Xenos in the Big E's eyes. Impurity and all that.

Except for all the blind people he has hooked right up to his soul you absolute fucking beanbag.
>>
>>45559792
I find it retarded to deny the blind a roll of the dice
god knows they rolled bad at character creation so what's the worst that can happen?
>>
>Implying the blind guy can fudge his rolls and tip the dice
R-right, let me push this, uhm, 5 into a, hm, 18 maybe, I dunno, I'M FUCKING BLIND
What do you mean I rolled 2?
>>
>guaranteed replies: the thread
>>
>>45560109
>>45559863

Second this. Honestly, I'd recommend OSR -- Oldschool games don't usually have "squares" style conceits so positioning is easier to do fluid and I would imagine the blind still have a sense of distance for whatever geometry is needed.
>>
>>45561353
There's plenty of people who CAN see and read and still don't understand the rules of the game or even bother opening the books.
>>
>>45561585
Not if you pick them up from behind and spin in a circle while yelling.
Wouldn't have a clue where anything is after that.
>>
File: PortableDiceTowerLarge[1].jpg (20KB, 450x530px) Image search: [Google]
PortableDiceTowerLarge[1].jpg
20KB, 450x530px
>>45559792
>hurr dice could be all over the table! they'd have to feel around for them!
The dice will be in exactly 1 spot. They will be a truer random than most hand table tosses.
>>
>>45561528
Dude. C'mon.
>>
>>45561705
He's not wrong
>>
>>45559866
>dice for blind people
>hideous cyan
I can't tell whether this is offensive or not.
>>
>>45561705
alright they might also have rolled a really bad fumble or been hit with the 3rd lvl arcane spell " car wreck"
but both of those are also clear cases of being hated by the dice god
>>
>>45561697
>Not trying to use the dice tower like a skee ball lane and rolling the dice through the bottom so that they come flying out the top

It's like you don't know how to have fun or something...
>>
>>45559863
>I don't see a problem with braille dice.

Neither do they.
>>
>>45561528
>Bad rolls

Pfft. more like min maxxers who did not really consider what stacking the draw backs would do.
>>
>>45561982
aww... :(
>>
>>45561263
>confirming yourself to be this pathetic
Well at least you're honest.
>>
>>45559792
How is it not okay?
>>
>>45561353
If only there was a language that blind people can read.
>>
>>45562241
the blind person can "fumble' the die by nudging it when rolled, It cant be impartial because the blind person can lie about what they rolled and so can a person with sight reading the roll to the blind player.
>>
>>45561440
This is sublimely insightful. A blind person who accidentally tips a die over trying to feel it has no way of knowing that the original result was better or worse than the new one, because they didn't see the original roll. If they accidentally tip it, it's just one more tumble.
It's like if you had a sighted player playing by drawing lots from a bag... and halfway through pulling up a number, it slips out of their hand. Doesn't matter because they don't know what they were going to originally draw.
>>
>>45562367
So basically what any person can do when they aren't rolling in front of the whole group.
>>
>>45562367
>the blind person can "fumble' the die by nudging it when rolled,
from one number they don't know to another number they don't know.

>It cant be impartial because the blind person can lie about what they rolled
There's numbers on the dice too, anon.
>>
If I was blind I'd rather have a computer dice roller that audibly read out the results. Sounds a lot faster and simpler than trying to find the dice and trying to carefully read the text without accidentally changing the roll.
>>
>>45562519
Exactly what I was thinking. Just give me a pad with a button that beeps out a number between 1 and N, and someone else can configure that upper limit, or if it were designed well enough I could do it myself. I'd imagine a slider that clicks and announces the new limit when changed would work perfectly.
>>
>>45562519
I would just have a friend I would give dice rolling rights to. Seems even easier.
>>
Is there a reason we're assuming every blind player is a cheating douche?
>>
>>45562563
Well we like to be equal rights here. And it's standard practice to assume that anyone can be a cheating douche.
>>
>>45562655
I fail to see how a blind person is going to be able to accurately fudge rolls, unless they're rolling behind a screen or something. They knock over the die, they're not going to know what number they've just knocked it onto.
>>
>>45560209
That would be about as sad as people who don't know martial arts roleplaying as monks, fat neckbeards playing as muscular barbarians, or muggles pretending to be wizards.
>>
>>45562303
But, like, a full TTRPG rulebook? Unless we're playing FATE, that'd be quite something.
>>
>>45559987

Then let the market decide that. Do you walk into a grocery store and rage at the lack of meaningful variety between different types of chocolate when they could reduce it to like four distinct options? If a product succeeds then other people want it and if it doesn't then they don't, it really doesn't require your approval in either direction.

Also
>product
>3D printed
>>
>>45561263

Notice how you used anonymity to be terrible and they used anonymity to point out that you're terrible. Everyone does do things they normally wouldn't while anonymous but that isn't the same as saying everyone is awful, it's just people like you.
>>
>>45560201
They are cute.
>>
File: MFW_MouldLines.jpg (113KB, 250x250px)
MFW_MouldLines.jpg
113KB, 250x250px
>>45559807
>why not

>offensive 'joke' manlet w white cane
>pugh gm
>still rolls behind screen
>then covers the die w one hand
>overhyped game science trash
>uninked just to diss the sighted
>mismatched sizes
> abbreviating okay
>1 line greentext thread starter
>welcome to 4chan newfag
>>
>>45561982
most of blind people don't have a problem with "vision" expressions. You can say things like "Good to see you" without triggering them, and expect to hear this from them.
>>
>>45561982
underrated kek
>>
>>45563159
You know you can get braile made for your specific books.
>>
>>45563756

No, they don't know that. They don't know anything at all about this topic.
>>
>>45559892
I would think using a smartphone would be harder for a blind person than rolling a die.
>>
Kickstarter idea: facial expressions cards for RPG players with autism. Fantasy art, text on the back.
>>
>>45563702
It's interesting how little disabled people give a shit, but how much we care about it.

"Give John a hand! SHIT SORRY JOHN I FORGET YOU HAVE NO HANDS!"

Meanwhile, John is laughing his ass off. After years, it's the kind of thing most people get used to.
>>
>>45564670
by we you mean tumblr, right?
>>
>>45560006
In that case, why not just let the blind person roll the die and allow someone else to read the die? There's no way that they'll find the die without tipping it.
>>
>>45561697
>You have to put your hand in to scoop it

It is not exactly in 1 spot. You have limited it greatly, true, but it still has a tray where it could be anywhere. And even people with site have trouble picking up a dice in those tray without tipping it.
>>
>>45564701
Nah, I meant non-disabled people or people with different disabilities. There's that instinctive nervous reaction, even if you're a 4chan edgelord. Unless you have autism or psychopathy, but those are disabilities.
>>
>>45564759
>There's no way that they'll find the die without tipping it.
git gud
>>
>Throw dice
>They go flying
>Lose expensive gimmick dice that normal dice with embedded numbers already do
>>
>>45564820
No, you mean people who don't understand that people with disabilities are adults and can handle everyday expressions.
>>
>>45562519
>romance is dead the post
>>
>>45565042
This may surprise you, but in the real world there are more options than Internet Tough Guy or Terminally Offended Tumblrina. Some people, particularly if they are only recently disabled, aren't quite as no fucks given about phrases that refer to their disability, because it turns out that hey, being disabled can kinda suck.
>>
>>45565440
This is why you prepare. I can definitely handle losing the use of my legs. Not my hands or eyes though. Oh god.
>>
>>45565517
How do you know until you actually loose them?
>>
>>45559792
Excellent troll post OP. Well done getting this much reaction.

This is a profoundly cool idea though. Braille dice would be perfect as long as they are weighted properly! And that would be easy to achieve just by altering the surface area of those indented areas so that the total weight on any one facing was equal. Or you change the order of numbers on the various facings to equalize the weight across the total surface area.

It doesn't look like they've done that sadly, but even then, the total weight on any one facing is negligible I'm betting.
>>
All hate aside, there are some actual problems with how those would work. How would you find it when you roll it?

I'd probably go with a digital design, where you punch in a number then it says what you roll
>>
>>45564701
we were always fucking tumblr....now they're just worse tumblr....like some sort of super tumblr
>>
>>45565553
I don't really, I'm just preparing for one disability at at a time.
>>
>>45559792
>>45559792
>>45559792
>>45559792
>>45559792

SJW IS FUCKING US AGAIN!!!!!!!

WAKE UP AND FACE TO VÖLKISH AWAKENING
>>
>>45565440
Just because someone who recently lost their sight might be a little touchy about it that doesn't mean you should flinch every time someone says "I see what you did there" in the presence of a blind person.
>>
>>45566099
No, but if you have any degree of social awareness you're likely to flinch if /you/ say it in the presence of a blind person, assuming you aren't familiar enough with said person to know if they're the touchy type.
>>
>>45566190
Why should I? If 99% of the time it's fine, then it'd only make things a problem when they aren't in 99% of cases.
>>
>>45566190
>>45566274
>>45566099
Geez, just say the thing, and if you hurt a feel, apologize. and this is coming from someone who's fucking disabled.
>>
>>45566357

>fucking disabled

Of all the disabilities you could get cursed with in life, that is surely the worst
>>
>>45566394
Ahaha very funny. ok i'll be specific.
>partially blind
>partially deaf
>wheelchair

this is what happens when you get t-boned by a drunk driver when you're 17.
>>
>>45565683
>some sort of super tumblr
A....stumblr, if you will.
>>
>>45566452
How do you feel if someone says something you can't do by accident? e.g. "Let's leg it!"

What if they get all apologetic about it? "Shit, sorry man," does that make it better? Worse?
>>
>>45566710
I dont care if someone says something like that. Hell i'll even say stuff like "i'd better get walking"

Over apologizers are the worst. If you think you offended me, say sorry once. dont go "BUT IM SO SORRY" or i'll want to run your ass down.
>>
>>45566828
>Over apologizers are the worst. If you think you offended me, say sorry once. dont go "BUT IM SO SORRY" or i'll want to run your ass down.

Yeah, that's the impression I get. It comes across confident when someone is frank about disabilities, rather than overly apologetic about them.
>>
>>45559892
Most people don't go out of their way to not make friends with blind people.
>>
>But they're poorly constructed

Honestly you fags that only play with casino grade dice piss me off. It's a game, it's played for fun, who cares if a die is slightly skewed towards certain numbers.
>>
gotta l ove how the mods are antibumping this thread

FOR FREE much???
>>
>>45567028
This is why blind people can't have nice things.
>>
>Hey Jim what did you get on your roll?
>Hold let me find out.
>What luck another natural 20
>>
>>45559792

Overall a 10/10 bait thread, it got me to post how much of a shitlord Op is.
>>
>>45561263
>>pussys do things when there are no consequences that they wouldn't do normally

ftfy
>>
>>45564759
Removes any doubt that they're lying to blindy
>>
>>45565797

Dude if this supposed to be an SJW bait thread, it failed pretty fucking hard considering the entire thread is calling the op a shit head at this point.
>>
>>45559863
>I don't see a problem with braille dice.
People will accidentally be bumping the dice all the time as they reach out to find the dice on the table and then touch the dice to read the braille.

Better to use some kind of electronic random number generator.
>>
File: 1455170162533.jpg (54KB, 640x458px)
1455170162533.jpg
54KB, 640x458px
>>45568736
This, though I question the randomness of RNG.
>>
>>45559792
>be blind
>have magician-tier dexterity with my hands form years of relying on them instead of my eyes.
>Memorize the dice faces
>Roll dice, read the roll, and "accidentally" nudge it to better rolls when needed.
>Nobody calls me out on being a cheating bastard because they either don't notice or let it slide because I'm disabled.
HAHAHA
>>
>>45559792
You're right.
They should be one piece, not two.
That D4 looks shitty as fuck. I'd be worried that it would split apart as I played with it.
>>
>>45559792
> Played with a blind player.
> She used iOS app.
> Her uncle printed these up for her.
> Tried them... they took more time for her to roll, find, and interpret than just using the app.

They lasted 3 or 4 rolls before she shelved them. Based on that huge sample size of data, I agree with OP.
>>
>>45559792
Hot damn, these look like shit. those seams could fuck up your fingers, and they mess with the layout of the braille.
refine that shit, and you may have a sale.
>>
>>45559792
Or they could just, you know, have someone else read off the number for them?
>>
>>45569623

Dice rolls need to be secret to prevent metagaming.
>>
>>45569551
Well the fact of the matter is that even if the dice were made perfectly, it still takes time to pick them up, run your fingers over it, and go "Oh that's a 14." Time that could have been spent using an app on your smartphone that can read out the number rolled. Sure, you generally don't want to use a smartphone app for rolling, but I'd make an exception for a blind player for the sake of now having the game slow to a crawl. Especially when it comes to games like Shadowrun or Dark Heresy.

>have a weapon with the Accurate special quality
>roll 4 degrees of success on the attack roll
>the roll is now 3d10+2
>except you had hyper density penetrators which add tearing so you roll damage twice and take the best
>now you're rolling that d10 6 times, and having to feel for where it landed and feel out the roll each time
>this could have been avoided by using an app or trusting another player to be able to count for you when you throw a few normal d10

Though ultimately people seem to have this horrible urge to fix problems that don't exist right now.

>>45569657
Then why does only the GM get a screen?
>>
>>45569657
Dice rolls need to be in the open so the DM doesn't know you're cheating.
If you have a blind person DM'ing, then I don't even know what to say. When most of their job is reading and writing, they must have a strange mix of determination and masochism.
>>
>>45569623
Let disabled people have their small victories in independance.
>>
>>45565683
>This is called Super Tumblr 2.
>And this... is to go one step beyond.
>>
This entire thread is retarded and I'm disappointed in all of you.
>>
>>45570018
You just posted in it.
That's like saying "Guys, there's shit everywhere! Clean it up!" While walking around in the shit and spreading it around.
>>
Why not make dice that say the number they land on?
Then bring them to a 40k game as orks
>>
File: random_number.png (7KB, 400x144px)
random_number.png
7KB, 400x144px
>>45568755
>This, though I question the randomness of RNG.
Unless it's picrelated it's not going to be any worse than a gimmicky physical die.
>>
>>45570018
>>45570139
But we're saging unlike the rest of you.
>>
>>45561353
Errythin comes in PDFs now and there are screen readers.
>>
>>45570752
They're going to be big and ununiform composition.
>>
>>45559872
jesus christ the edge in that gif
>>
>>45568755
Just because technically computer generated numbers aren't true random doesn't mean it's not far more than random enough for dnd.

Trust me it won't be a problem.
>>
>>45564808
>what is picking up the tower?
>has no bottom
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.