[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 31

File: IMG_0073.jpg (96KB, 432x671px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0073.jpg
96KB, 432x671px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>February Unearthed Arcana is Psionics
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf

Favorite kind of psion?
>>
>>45280246
A dead one.
>>
Immortal
>>
File: 1427201269265.jpg (164KB, 706x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1427201269265.jpg
164KB, 706x1000px
>>45280246
>Favorite kind of psion?

The easy kind
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/march-survey-results

>04/29/2015
>I expect that you’ll see some revisions to the Eberron material before the end of the year.

Where is it, Mearls?
>>
Friend of mine is starting a game soon and I have no experience in 5e. Is a thrown weapon focused character possible right now?

What about chucking swords?
>>
>>45280246
Elric looks stoned as fuck there.
>>
>>45280521
not really no

your best bet is probably a monk with darts, maybe multiclassed into fighter for some maneuvers.
>>
>>45280246

The SoulKnife

Alternatively the Ardent although I'd like to see some of the old psionic PrCs remade into archetypes for the existing classes: i.e.

Divine Mind = Paladin
Psionic domain for Cleric
Shadow Mind for Rogue
Cerebremancer for Wizard
Abolisher for Ranger

And make up something for Bard, Monk, Barbarian
>>
So, the other day I posted here on /5eg/ about making a Sun Soul Monk/Mood Druid and basically turning into a laser shooting octopus (or snake). I brought it up at my table last night and the rulesy guy said that it doesn't work because monsters/beasts don't take the attack action. Example: Giant Poisonous Snake has the "Bite" action in its stat block. I have looked over several sources, but I can't find anything that explicitly says that monsters and beasts can take the attack action.

On page 11 of the Monster Manual it says:

>When a monster takes its action, it can choose from the options in the Actions section of its stat block or use one of the actions available to all creatures, such as the Dash or Hide action, as described in the Player's Handbook.

Dash and Hide are listed beside the Attack action in the PHB, but I'm not sure if that's justification enough.

So: Can monsters/beasts take the attack action?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (75KB, 493x750px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
75KB, 493x750px
>>45280594
I've always liked OP image because beneath him and Stormbringer is just nothingness, a void left by a sword which takes everything.
>>
>>45280643
it's a dumb idea anon
>>
>>45280643
no your friend is retarded

everything that makes an attack takes the attack action, what you call that attack depends on whats doing the attacking

jesus this better be bait
>>
>>45280643
It's assumed they can. You're reading too into things.
>>
>>45280521
it's possible to make a thrown weapon character but it's not really viable. the most you can make is 3 attacks (twf using your action to throw one weapon, bonus action to throw the other, then drawing one weapon for free as part of a move action and throwing it with your second attack). early on you'll have decent damage but you'll scale off compared to other martials once they get extra attacks and other goodies. a level 20 twf fighter with make 5 attacks while you're stuck still making 3.
>>
>>45280521
I don't see why not. Under the two-weapon fighting rules, you can throw with the second attack (as long as it's a light melee weapon).

So you could dual wield handaxes or light hammers and throw two of them per turn. Pick up the two-weapon fighting style and the Dual Wielder feat for extra damage, faster draws, and (I think) the ability to dual-throw spears.
>>
>>45280484
>search google for this image
>Bill Yiffer

No thanks.
>>
>>45280643
The "bite" ability, taken straight from the wolf in the monster manual.
ACTIONS
Bite. MELEE WEAPON ATTACK: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) piercing damage. Ifthe target is a creature,
it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be
knocked prone.
>>
>>45280704
>>45280710
You can draw one weapon per turn with your interact action, two with the dual wielder feat. I don't see how you can manage three
>>
>>45280246
Illithids. Never liked PC psionics.

>>45280510
I'm so glad Ravenloft is the next campaigns setting. Still sick of Ebberron from 3.5.
>>
>>45280780
I guess >>45280704 assumes you already have two out.
>>
>>45280692
>jesus this better be bait
Why is everyone in these threads so pissy and act like they're on the verge of going postal?
Relax. Don't answer the question next time, me or someone else will take care of it, no need to stress.
>>
>>45280813

>Why is everyone in these threads so pissy and act like they're on the verge of going postal?

That's just the nature of this place as far as I can tell. Over-aggression is typical of the mentally deficient.
>>
>>45280246
I dislike Psionics, to me it being a different resource system just felt unnecessary, since it isn't equal to traditional casting, in some regards its stronger and others weaker. To me that's a problem because all Psionics never seen to know exactly what a Psionic does and it comes off as just magic but harder to resist. Which makes it better than normal magic.

I guess my biggest issue is that, Psionics seem like they belong in a different system than DnD.
>>
>>45280510
>the monk and sorcerer all graded very well
Why? They never should've been anything more than subclasses.
>>
>>45280923
you can say that about most of the classes desu
>>
>>45280847
I feel like people can discuss the rules and intricacies of any system here... Except d&d.
Someone doesn't understand a rule, correct it (or don't) and move on. No one is intentionally pretending not to understand how something works on the off chance it might make someone angry.
>>
>>45280594
I've always thought it was sad, since it's used as the art in Doomed Lord's Passing in my copy of Stormbringer.
>>
As a rogue archetype, I don't become a swashbuckler till level 3 correct?
>>
>>45280902
In 3.5 most of the problems with Psionics went away if you did two things:
1. Psionics is affected by everything that magic is affected by, anti-magic fields, buffs, debuffs, counter spells etc etc
2. Follow the Rules of Psionics, you can't use all 300 points in one mind spell, you have a cap of some sort determined by the rules.

The rest of the problems in 3.5 were that a lot of the ideas were crazy or just poor.

I remember there was a class where you slowly turned into a Mindflayer, I forget the name.
But dumping 4 feats on brain-eating really didn't make you any better than a generic psion
>>
>>45281092

Seems accurate to me.
>>
>>45280923
tbqh there should be only fight guy and magic man
>>
>>45281092
Yep.
Archetypes/traditions or sub-classes as I call them are all lvl3 features.

If you are going to go with high charisma on your swashbuckler the you might want to pick up magic initiate to get Green flame blade etc. since it's pretty great as a combo.
>>
>>45281276
This isn't the OSR thread, anon
>>
>>45281284
Not quite, some do start at level 1 or 2
>>
>>45281276
Oh please, because the wild mage and dragon furry are totally worth their own class.
The monk's "thief except without armor or weapons" and "shittier druid" schools are unnecessary, just make their one useful school a fighter/barbarian offshoot.
>>
>>45281441
How'd you change it?
>>
How would you fix knowledge skills, /tg/?

Specifically, the conundrum of "failure doesn't have any consequences". Solutions like "only one roll allowed" aren't intuitive.
>>
>>45281587
>Specifically, the conundrum of "failure doesn't have any consequences".
>Solutions like "only one roll allowed" aren't intuitive.

Are you retarded?

If you don't know something the first time you roll, why the fuck would you be even allowed a reroll? Surely, if you don't know something, you don't magically get another chance to know it.
>>
File: swordlogic.jpg (83KB, 560x728px) Image search: [Google]
swordlogic.jpg
83KB, 560x728px
So I am coming from the last thread all of you guys have been incredible helpful with my obnoxious Sword logic Palock I thank you for it. After much careful review I think I may just multiclass. It seems a lot less work, and it would just give me more versatility. I am asking you guys what is the the best build for Pact of blade Warlock Paladin? I heard it was 3 Paladin and 17 Warlock is this true?
Picture related the best kind of logic.
>>
>>45281660
I said it wasn't intuitive, not that it wasn't a solution.

If you're in combat, and you whiff your attack, you can't try again because you've used your action for the turn.

If you lie to someone, and you botch the deception roll, you can't just try again because the NPC is outraged at your attempted deception and is in a different mental state.

If you try to climb a wall, and fail the DC, you can totally try again, but you fell down and took damage, so the situation has changed.

Knowledge rolls are the only rolls that don't affect the outside world. They don't have any tangible affect that prevents multiple attempts, other than "you just can't." The situation doesn't change. The DM just tells you that your character doesn't know it.

Surely that's not fucking satisfactory to you?
>>
>>45281587
You can't even attempt them unless it makes sense for your character.

This also cuts down on everyone at the table saying, "Let me try!" for every knowledge check, and those incidents where only the savage barbarian somehow knows all about the history of a church (which is funny the first time, as everyone tries to come up with wacky explanations, but it gets old).
>>
>>45281824
>Surely that's not fucking satisfactory to you?

Actually.

Yes. Yes it is. Because the question here is "Does the character know [X]". If he succeeds, then the character knows [X]. If he fails, then the character doesn't know [X]. How the character reacts and responds to the situation varies and changes depending on their knowledge, and affects how they will use their skillset in this particular challenge.

I do not see the problem with this.
>>
how would you stat Deadpool
dont say monks, monks suck
>>
>>45282292
I wouldn't, fuck deadpool
>>
File: 1439738455583.jpg (7KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1439738455583.jpg
7KB, 224x225px
My DM for some retarded reason does turns outside of combat AND in combat, how shit is this?
he also never rolls for initiative or anything similar.
It's just around the table counterclockwise or clockwise depending on if one player is sitting on his left or his right side.

Was planning on making an Assassin, but with how he plays I basically can't.
Is there any way I can convince him to stop doing this?

Should I just be re-rolling another character, since half the party gets to go before me at any given time, and uses that time to roll anything I would be rolling for or ruin my chances at stealth?
>>
>>45282326
reddit detected
>>
>>45282363
>My DM for some retarded reason does turns outside of combat AND in combat, how shit is this?

Oh fuck no. Leave the group.
>>
>>45282366
the irony
>>
>>45282366
Calm down Liefeld.
You've won, your shitty Deathstroke ripoff was more successful.
>>
>>45282398
the redditing
>>
>>45282366
I'm pretty sure reddit loves Deadpool. It seems like their thing, anyway.
>>
>>45282363
If you gotta stay in the group and can't get him to change, re-roll probably or talk with the party. IC or OOC, you can tell them to start using readied actions to trigger once you make your move and fucking ambush bitches.

But Id say talk to your DM first and if that fails you might be best served leaving the group altogether.
>>
>>45282471
you would know
>>
>>45281824
>>45281909
I disagree with both of you, to an extent. I don't believe knowledge rolls should be something you can just keep trying in all situations, but I would have it be a matter of degrees of failure, or rather making a check against a ladder of DCs with a single roll, with the potential of making another roll if something would happen that would remind you of other information you would have forgotten or half-forgotten.

Say you want to make a knowledge check--you got a 12. You know this DC 10 information, but not the more arcane or lesser known DC 15 information.
If you observe something closely related to the DC 15 information, or happen to look through a topical (and not inaccurate) reference book (which would also grant advantage as per usual), you can make another check.
Or if I'd feel it would propel the story or scene I might just tell you that information without another check being involved or needed.

>>45282292
I'd do a different system unless you just want something Deadpool-ish.
A max-level Champion fighter would actually get you most of the way there. That plus a teleportation belt and being practically made out of scar tissue, and you have an obvious expy.

If you don't want/can't do a max level character than you can't play a ridiculous superhuman and you should get used to that fact.
>>
i was paid to talk about Deadpool on 4chan
>>
File: ATdungeon.jpg (568KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ATdungeon.jpg
568KB, 1920x1080px
Which level would be the most fun to run a one-shot super adventure, maybe 2 or 3 sessions long? When do spells and abilities really come together for players? What level do you start encountering the most exciting and challenging monsters?
>>
>>45282952
>one-shot
>maybe 2 or 3 sessions long
nigga wat
>>
>>45280521
Yeah, via rogue.
>>
>>45282952
3. You have your class features and archetypes and make enough choices about spells, weapons, etc. without slowing the game down.

You can use at least half of the monsters in the Monster Manual, the higher CR ones are obvious "boss" monsters and they're boring.

Plus the low level means you can't use the spell Bypass Obstacles. You have to use your wits or you'll fall into the chasm and die.

Go run a fun, low-level game, Anon.
>>
>>45282969
I assume they meant a one-shot as in the adventure books or similar story so they can have a build up to a climactic event - but they cannot play for a whole evening. So instead of a 2 hour campaign they break up the play time of an adventure book into a few smaller sessions. It's what my group usually has to do since we all have weird work schedules.
>>
>>45283444
i will kill someone in your group tonight if Cam loses
>>
>>45281587
20 - You know 1+1=2 when they're scalar quantities. If they're vectorial quantities, the result is something between 0 and 2, included.
10 - You know 1+1=2
1 - You're pretty sure 1+1=3
>>
>>45281780
Bump for best warlock/paladin multi class
>>
>>45284043
I'm quite partial to Fey/Chain+Oath of the Ancients, for the thematics alone.
>>
What new pacts and patrons do people want to see for the warlock? I'd like necromantic patron of some kind and a pact that let's you hulk out like pic related. Also a spell or invocation for conjuring fiends would be nice.
>>
>>45282952
3-5

At level 3 everyone has their archtype by then

At 4 people can finally pick up feats

at 5 martials get two attacks, and casters finally get their level 3 spells (The fireballs, hastes, flies, and lightning bolts that really define their choice of caster)

All are good places, though be aware that level 5 is a huge powerspike relative to the rest of the game.
>>
Best pure DPS archer build ?
>>
>>45284568

warlock
>>
>>45284378
You could always house rule the Minion of Chaos invocation into Minion of Evil and have it summon a fiend instead of an Elemental.
>>
>>45280813
lmao you think thats on the verge of going postal?

sorry i hurt your feelings
>>
>>45284501
Plus, starting at 4 or 5 means you might start with a permanent magical item without breaking the math, especially if it's a High-magic setting. That can be an interesting way to have entirely different sorts of characters because you can justify different backgrounds and setting involvement.

Especially if you also use those magic item trait/minor property tables.
>>
>>45284645

Now THIS is bait.

0/10 bait, but still.
>>
>>45284598
Warlock...?
>>45284568
I'd roll with a DEX ranged fighter if you're just going for straight DPR. Champion archetype as well for extra crits.
>>
>>45284568
Battlemaster Fighter
Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter
Hand Crossbow
>>
>>45284701
>bait
i won't shit up the general thread any more but i don't think that word means what you think it means

bait is a dude asking if a monster attacking with the bite attack is the attack action
>>
>>45284872

Better, but I can only give you 2/10.
>>
>>45284760
Warlock is the best consistent ranged DPS, make a sorlock and you're unbeatable at ranged DPS
>>
>>45285018
yea, but he asked for an archer specifically, not ranged DPR.
>>
>>45285018
Actually sharpshooter crossbow expert battlemaster does more damage.
>>
>>45285170
More burst damage at worse accuracy, warlock and sorcerlock can maintain their damage for way longer than battlemaster can.
>>
>>45285329
what level ratio is usually done with sorclock? isn't it Warlock 9/ Sorcerer 11? Or can it be Sorcerer 18/Warlock 2?
>>
>>45285484
You only need 2 levels in Warlock, enough for Agonizing Blast, then go Sorcerer to get metamagic and as many spell slots as possible.
>>
>>45285329
Needing to do damage for that long is just theorycrafting, when you can already do enough damage to kill a big old red dragon before you run outta fightan juice killing it faster is probably more important than being able to keep shooting long after its dead.

The sorlock has more utility, sure. But fighter man is always the king of damage this edition.

Also leveling on fighter you would deal much more damage earlier on than sorlock.
>>
>>45280521

So I played a halfling rogue up till 5th level and without meaning to, he basically became a dagger throwing machine because it worked so well with the sneak attack rules. Combat was very intense and fun -- I was tumbling, hiding behind other characters, or double-throwing every round while spells and other fancy moves were going off all around me. That said, I wasn't above using a bow when it came to assassinating enemy spell-casters. So a pure throw-guy? No. But a badass rogue who whirls around in a flurry of daggers. Fuck yes.
>>
>>45284645
>leave thread, take a nap, come back
>you're still going at it a half-hour later
Yeah, you're burning.
Just chill.
>>
>>45281441
You seem upset. Do you require a safe space?
>>
>>45280608
>Grid Filling
trash.png
>>
>>45285614
>Needing to do damage for that long is just theorycrafting
Maybe is just my group, but my GM does a lot of encounters separated by small distances so no short rest allowed, also, so far, I've seen 1-2 short rests on average with 6-8 encounters per day with all the GMs I played.

You call it "theorycrafting" I think is in fact more realistical on how 5e works, you get very few short rests, sometimes you don't get any in a couple of short rest, so you think your 6 maneuvers are going to be enough for all your encounters ever, I don't think so.
>>
>>45280923
> DUDE
> MEMES
> MEEEEEEEMES DUDE
>>
>>45284043
Vengeance into Fiendlock or standard pally into Undying Light. You want 12 levels of Warlock for Lifedrinker, so you might as well ride Warlock out from there.
>>
>>45285329
8d10 + 8*5 = average of 84 damage per round
vs
5d6 + 5*15 = average of 92.5 damage per round

eh its pretty close. fighters accuracy is a bit worse, but he can use precise strike or whatever the accuracy maneuver is to help himself out. also he can action surge when he wants to to kick out an extra 4d6 + 4*15 = 74 damage in a round.

anyway the question was about an archer though, not a caster
>>
>>45285706
>In a couple of encounters
Fuck my fingers.
>>
>>45285745
>tfw your DM keeps count of your bolts
>ftw he doesn't let you to have more than 60 at any time
I think he hates me, enemies don't have bolts, they always use bows, and I have to make my own, which means spending lots of hours that some times we can't spare
>>
>>45285706
The fighter does a boatload more damage early on, and more consistently. It is only later on that the Warlock can even begin to compete on the same level. If we are doing level 20 comparisons, pcs can probably hack rests whenever they want to with shit like demiplane.

Unless you actually have experience with rests at level 20 and how DMs stop this shit without houserules I'm pretty sure you're just talking out of your ass here.
>>
Mind settling a debate for me?
Would detect magic find the invisible sensor created by the scry spell?
>>
>>45284043
Paladin/Favored Soul works better

But there're two paths:
Pal2-3/Warlock17-18
or
Warlock2-3/Paladin17-18

Depending if you want lots of smites or auras

I played a DevotionPal3/Undyinglight6/Draconicsorcerer6 in a high level game using GFB a lot, had an awesome time
>>
File: SetHeight750-5924nibe.jpg (150KB, 564x750px) Image search: [Google]
SetHeight750-5924nibe.jpg
150KB, 564x750px
>>45285818
>>tfw he doesn't let you to have more than 60 at any time
on the one hand i understand, on the other they do only way 1.5 pounds for 20. you could probably lug more than 4.5 pounds of bolts around if that was really your shtick. can you ask the barbarian (or whoever) to also lug some around for you?

can you recollect your crossbow bolts off of bodies?
>>
What's the best low level 'nova'
>>
>>45285944
>can you recollect your crossbow bolts off of bodies?
Rules are you only can recover half of them
>>
>>45285919
I think definitely because Scrying says:

>A creature that can see invisible objects sees the sensor as a luminous orb about the size of your fist.

which means that its actually there, meaning that if you cast detect magic you would detect it.
>>
>>45285964

>Rules are you only can recover half of them

huh really

my DM just makes us role a d10 with whatever modifiers for the situation and lets us get that percentage back rounded up
>>
>>45285964
shingles and dingles my jew
>>
>>45286092
Detect magic usually fails against invisible things, though. The spells are meant to not be found, and detect magic is too low a level spell to get anything that detailed.
>>
>>45286450
Isn't this like Using Detect Evil against something that is evil aligned but invisible?
>>
>>45286524
I've always thought of it as if you can't see something, but know where it is, in the sense that you know the space occupied by the evil creature and could point to it, but you don't see the creature itself.
>>
>>45285919
You would sense it (because it's magical), but you would not be able to see the aura (because the spell specifies the auras only appear around visibile creatures and objects). You would also learn the school of magic associated with it (divination).
>>
Is there a hex blade kinda thing? like a mix of bladelock and eldritch knight but also neither of them?
>>
>>45286646
Bladelock is essentially a hexblade
>>
>>45286678
yeah but its also shitty
>>
>>45286566
Naw, all you'd get at best is that it's in that general direction - It takes a few turns of dedicated concentration with Detect spells to get anything more than a general direction of the auras, so if the invisible evil thing moves in that time it'd go away.

I don't know if it's in 5e but in 3.pf there's a rule that Detect Magic doesn't work on Invisibility. However, it's hard to find and I've almost never seen it invoked properly.

Then again, I've never seen the Detect spells played to their actual rules in a very, very long time, people tend not to read it.
>>
>>45286450
>>45286524
I don't know, detect magic says:

>For the duration, you sense the presence of magic
wilhin 30 feet of you. ]f you sense magic in Ihis way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature OI'object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic. if any.

Which implies to me it would detect magic within 30 feet of you, but you couldn't pinpoint where it is, and because you can't pinpoint where it is, you can't detect what school it is.

So I revise my original statement, and I think that if you cast detect magic you would know there is some magic around you, but not what.

If you also cast See Invisibility, you could (obviously) see the sensor as detailed in the Scrying spell, and if you had that and Detect Magic up at the same time (which you can because See Invisibility doesn't require concentration), you could both see the sensor, and, if you didn't know what it was, Detect Magic would tell you it was Divination magic.
>>
>>45286748
Really? That vague? So, I could hide an invisible evil creature in front of/behind a non-evil creature and the paladin would be led to believe that the non-evil creature is evil?
>>
>>45286861
>wilhin 30 feet of you. ]f you sense magic in Ihis way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature OI'object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic. if any.
wow sorry I copy and pasted from a pdf of the phb but its fucked up. I didn't notice before I posted sorry.

It says:

>For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.
>>
>>45286894
Ah, well this clearly states visible.
As with detect evil
>For the duraton, you know if there is an aberraton, celestal, elemental, fey, fend, or undead within
30 feet of you, as well as where the creature is located. Similarly, you know if there is a place or
object within 30 feet of you that has been magically consecrated or desecrated
>>
>>45286748
>>45286875

Detect Evil and Good says:

>For the duration, you know if there is an aberration, celestial, elemenlal, fey, fiend, or undead within 30 feet of you, as well as where the creature is located. Similarly, you know if there is a place or object within 30 feet of you that has been magically consecrated or desecrated.

So you don't need to see with Detect Evil and Good. You find out where it is, even though you can't see it.
>>
>>45286930
>>45286940
yes, thank you. So what I said originally is correct then. You know where an invisible creature is if it is evil/good.
>>
>>45286646
It's called being a War/Tempest Cleric
>>
>>45286875
No, because you need to read how divine sense works.

Pg 84 btw.
>>
File: 1444849894630.png (90KB, 208x260px) Image search: [Google]
1444849894630.png
90KB, 208x260px
The barbarian from the other day here; The welcome my group received at the temple of the town I caused a ruckus at was worse than expected, so I decided to separate from the group and start to craft my bear totem amulet on the town's outer fields, to let the group identify, gather information, and buy adventuring needs, for our next dungeon; A tomb.

So here I've got a few questions as to how to proceed; What are we likely to find on such a place as catacombs, where spirits and similars are sure to be unwelcoming to outsiders, and how do we deal with them? In the case my character survives the dungeon, would there be a chance to go back to the town, were anything to happen inside that would require of my attention?
>>
>>45286975
>yes, thank you. So what I said originally is correct then. You know where an invisible creature is if it is evil/good.
Not exactly sure which anon is you because I'm dumb and bad at keeping track of conversations, but what you said here sounds correct to me.
>>
I'm making a warlock and I'm trying to decide what spells and invocations to take besides Hex and Agonizing Blast. Is it better to specialize in illusions, charms, or battlefield control as a straight blastlock?
>>
>>45286986
>divine sense
What? This only applies to celestial, fiend, or undead.
Detect evil applies to more types. What is odd however is that both the description of divine sense and detect evil/good doesn't actually literally state the creature has to be good or evil aligned to be detected,(even though this seems heavily implied to me)
>>
>>45287228
It's not odd, alignment just makes jackshit in 5e is all. It's a good thing.
>>
>>45287248
>a devil does not choose to be
>awful evil, and it doesn't tend toward lawful >evil, >but rather it is lawful evil in its essence. If it >somehow ceased to be lawful evil, it would cease >to be a devil.
but here it says that purifying semon demons into waifus is still a thing in 5ed
>>
Is this a good idea for a character: Mulhorandi Human (variant) Far Traveller Fighter? He's a (weaker) version of my old 2E character who (due to a wand of wonder) got time shifted to the year 1489 DR.
>>
I never noticed how close to WoL magic 5ed's description is:

In casting a spell,
a character carefully plucks at the invisible strands of
raw magic suffusing the world, pins them in place in a
particular pattern, sets them vibrating in a specific way,
and then releases them to unleash the desired effect
>>
>>45287393
WoL?
>>
>>45287539
Sry meant *WoT
>>
>>45287549
>the spellcasters of the Forgotten Realms call it the Weave
same exact word in WoT for "interfacing" with raw magic power.
>>
>>45287668
>without the Weave, raw magic is locked away and inaccessible; the most powerful archmage can't light a candle with magic in an area where the Weave has been tom.
almost exactly the same now. Always loved WoT spellcasting.
>>
>>45286861
This might be helpful:

>When characters use divination spells such as detect magic or identify, they glimpse the Weave.
>>
How do we fix the Ranger?
>>
>>45288017
For one thing, give them fucking expertise in survival.

THAT'S THEIR THING.

THE THING THEY ARE MEANT TO BE REALLY GOOD AT.

WHY THE FUCK AREN'T THEY AN EXPERT AT IT.
>>
>>45288017
You choose a different class
>>
>>45288017
What if the Ranger had the benefit of both core archetypes at once?
>>
>>45288283
Well from the sounds of it, that's what they plan to do in the future.

Just have the animal companion be a core part of the class.
>>
>>45288268
Same why martial artists aren't expert in martial art moves like grapple, trip, shove, etc
>>
>>45284378
>I'd like necromantic patron
Undying Patron is a thing, yo.
>What new pacts and patrons do people want to see for the warlock?
Nature spirit, since Druids aren't really so much "Commune with nature" and more "Blast about lasers and become a bear".
>Pacts
Fucking make Blade worth anyone's time first. Right now it makes you... a worse soulknife, really.
>>
>>45281780
Aside from the multiclass, there's the blood hunter homebrew material.
>>
>>45285818
>I think he hates me, enemies don't have bolts, they always use bows, and I have to make my own, which means spending lots of hours that some times we can't spare
What is the rest of the party composed of?
>>
>>45288313
Except that's not their defining feature! Their defining feature is capability in all forms of armour and weaponry!

That's kind of the things for Champion, and you know what? Champion should have expertise in Athletics or if you're generous a choice of one DEX or STR skill.

I don't want to cheapen rogues or bards in their skill-monkey niche, but the prescedent is already set for Bannerets. And I can make a better tracker using a bard or a rogue with the exception of favoured terrain/favoured enemy and scouts tend to be better too. And that shouldn't fucking happen!

The ranger class is entirely based on someone who is really fucking good at survival.
>>
>>45282292
Fighter. Champion. Ranged style and melee style, regeneration, and mad critz.
>>
High elf Eldritch Knight/Bladesinger, Human Eldritch Knight/Abjurer, or Dragonborn Paladin of Ancients/Sorcerer?
>>
>>45288485
Single classed human eldritch knight
>>
>>45288327
>Nature spirit
Isn't that the point of the archfey?
>>
>>45288547
>Isn't that the point of the archfey?
More nature spirit in the Australian Aboriginal or Native American sense.
>>
I'm looking for everything available to PCs to directly counteract spells and their effects.

14th Level Abjuration Wizard gives you advantage on spell-related saving throws, and resistance to spell-based damage.

7th Level Ancients Paladin gives you resistance to damage from spells.

Bardic Inspiration is what it is.

Finally, the following spells help in some way: Warding Bond, Silence, Resistance, Holy Aura, Dispel Magic, Counterspell, Circle of Power, Bless, Antimagic Field.

Is there anything I've overlooked? Haven't checked the expansions yet.
>>
>>45288485
If you actually want to blend your swordplay and sorcery, you have to go paladin/sorcerer. Between quicken spell and smite you can actually attack and cast spells on the same turn, and both will be meaningful with just a few levels in either class.
>>
>>45288591
So an elemental patron? I feel like both of your examples would still qualify as fey, just more inhuman fey.
>>
Perhaps someone can answer this age old question for me. Why do Dark Elves/Drow have black skin and white hair and eyes? Not a fluff reason, i'm looking for a design reason. I've heard that Gygax wanted them to be the photo-negative of normal elves, which is a cool idea but I haven't found any citations and quotes for this.
>>
>>45288622
>So an elemental patron?
Sure, I guess that could work.
> I feel like both of your examples would still qualify as fey, just more inhuman fey.
I guess, but the thing is that reskinning the Patron doesn't reskin the Invocations and spells you get from it, and some of those aren't really that appropriate the more you diverge from purely European concepts.
>>
>>45288618
You might want to keep in mind the Mage Slayer feat.
>>
>>45287385
Bump
>>
>>45288720
I thought of that soon after posting.
>>
>>45288327
>>What new pacts and patrons do people want to see for the warlock?
>Nature spirit, since Druids aren't really so much "Commune with nature" and more "Blast about lasers and become a bear".
I feel like http://www.dmsguild.com/product/170851/Class--Shaman is relevant to you.
>>
>>45280246
Order of immortal so psionic warrior or telekinesis blaster type.
>>
>>45287385
Heh. I like it.
>>
>>45289380
>What the fuck happened?
>The hell is a Spellplague?
>Dragonborn what?
>The Gods now rule Mulhorand?
>Damn you, you idiot wizard and your wand of wonder!
>>
>>45289472
I got admit, I am as lost as he is, when it comes to forgotten realms lore.
>>
>>45280246
How would you make a sword saint path for fighters and monks?
>>
>>45289542
FR lore is kind of meh anyways.
>>
>>45289542
wouldn't it make it easier to RP him?
>>
So as a warlock, I can choose to be a shitty wizard, a shitty fighter, or a pretty cool pet class and the only unique option.
>>
File: unnamed(1).jpg (169KB, 500x717px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed(1).jpg
169KB, 500x717px
>>45289753
>a shitty wizard, a shitty fighter
Thats basically your only two options for any class besides wizard and fighter, yes
>>
>>45289753
>shitty wizard
Are you referring to Tomelock? Because Tomelock is great.

Clerics have some of the best cantrips in the game. Take them as yours.
>>
>>45289742
Basically, yeah
>>
>>45289472
It's always the Wizard's fault.
On the other hand, Mulhorand was actually in a pretty good as of 3e, and now their deity-figures seem to be backing them up again.
>>
>>45289719
>every important character is imortal or have a shitlong lifespan
>magic!
>>
Should I go for Lock 17/ Sorc 3 so I can at least get access to 9th level Warlock spells that'd fit the character from an RP perspective? (stuff like Imprisonment) or should I go for Lock 2/ Sorc 18 to have more spell slots but not be as fluffy?
>>
>>45290048
>Lock 17/ Sorc 3
why are you even going sorc 3 at this point, just go straight lock
>>
>>45290075
Because having the ability to burn a sorcery point to have a 1200 ft. range Eldritch Blast that may and or may not be empowered plus many more spells in my arsenal tickles my autism.
>>
>>45289977
That's the cool part, but the rest of the Realms was being screwed over (especially in 4E, despite my love for that system). Now he is gonna rock in some 122 years after the wand of wonder incident.
>>
>>45289683
for monks?
>>
>>45281276
I'm cool with psionics as long as the setting doesn't also have magic guy.
>>
>>45290310
you'll honestly be more powerful just keeping up your warlock progression. maybe post level 10 it would be worth dipping, as after that warlocks kind of start falling off as they for whatever reason get a worse version of higher level spell access than every other class that gets 6-9 level spells.

but i'd just go straight lock until then at least.
>>
>>45288656
Evil black elves that live underground goes back to Norse mythology at least.
>>
I can't find out why anyone would take a Champion Fighter. It seems so severely limited compared to both of the other martial archetypes. The best things it has going for it are really just a wide crit range? We're talking an extra 10% chance to do double damage. Its big ability at level 18 is fasthealing (likely 8-10 depending on how you build.) What's the goal here? Take TWF and Defense fighting styles, and then try to attack as many times as possibly per round? I'm guessing you'd take Lucky and Duel Wielder as feats. Perhaps Magic Initiate so that you can grab True Strike?

Am I missing something? Why would anyone play this?
>>
>>45290721
But nordic mythology paints dark elves as goblin essentially.
>>
>>45289683
this isn't what you want but I have a character that I play when my group does like... our B side campaign that is kind of sword saint esque. Hes a paladin 2/war cleric 2.

Big burst damage with his great sword, otherwise hes like... saintly and casting guidance all the time.

If you mean the pathfinder samurai archetype, hes not that, obviously, but I think flavor wise he fits into my conception of how a sword saint is.

Our side campaign is pretty open to homebrew and wackier stuff, so I think I'm going to ask my DM to let me swear an Oath of Devotion but get some Oath of Vengeance abilities to represent his sword fighting prowess vs his actual magical ability (which is low and much more subtle).
>>
>>45290774
Because they want to be a tough motherfucker and like critting a lot.

Its mechanically not very sound compared to Battlemaster or EK, but its not weak, per se, as the fighter chassis is already really, really strong.

I'm in two campaigns, and in both the fighter took the Champion archetype. Both of them use greatswords I think. I know one does. The other might actually use a long sword idk that campaign has been on hiatus.

I think if you want to play a not magical fighter, its either pick battlemaster which is very front loaded and imo kind of lame, just to tack on some maneuvers every once in a while (both campaigns are also not a lot of resting between adventuring), or you pick champion and crit twice as often.
>>
File: 1453642326453.gif (334KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453642326453.gif
334KB, 250x300px
>>45290774

It's a simple, easy to understand option that I wish someone in my party would have taken instead of playing an EK while dumping int and not understanding how spells work.
>>
>>45290918

Gotcha. The thing about rests is interesting. In a harsh environment campaign, Champion really shines. I think Battlemaster is cool but I get what you mean about it being frontloaded.

It DOES look like Champion is the tankiest of them all, so I definitely can't rule it out for that alone.
>>
>>45290568
Yeah, warlocks just lose an invocation and an ASI if they cut the last 3 levels out of their build. Its fucking nothing.
>>
>>45290774
Because the other Fighter archetypes don't fit the character concept as well? Maybe I don't want to play some gay spellcaster or limp-wristed tactical bitch. Maybe I just want to bro out with my swords & shit.
>>
>>45290982
I've been kind of wanting to make a Tiefling or maybe a Eladrin (or some other spell casting race) Champion, and then talking my DM into letting me take one of the dragon mark feats, taking magic initiate, and taking ritual caster, and being a badass fighter but also having a pretty solid number of spells I could cast. And maybe a magic sword that can cast spells? Idk.

But I'll probably end up DMing the next campaign we do so we'll see.
>>
>>45291398
I want to make a special snowflake that does everything well, too. We should meet up and talk about our mysterious backstories some time.
>>
>>45288618
I'm back and figured out the wombo-est melee-based anti-mage. Unfortunately, you can't get Antimagic Field, but you might as well, because ain't none of that magic touching you.

X Cleric 8/Ancients Paladin 8/EK 4, Mage Slayer and possibly Sentinel

Cleric domain doesn't really matter, but it gives you full caster levels, bonus action attacks, and reliable anti-necromancer abilities. Some of the domains also give you heavy armor off the bat that you wouldn't get in the multiclassing to come.

Ancients Paladin gives you Extra Attack, a fighting style, and spell damage resistance.

EK gets you AS, and by taking it to 4th level last, you can nab counterspell.

I'm well aware that this is a level 20 progression that requires multiple high scores to be particularly useful. I just find theorycrafting and telling spellcasters to suck it fun.
>>
>>45292144
clever
>>
How does the Eldritch Knight play? I made a high dex, high intelligence fighter so I won't be wasting the EK option wholly on utility spells with no save DC or spell modifiers.
>>
>>45292251
>and by taking it to 4th level last, you can nab counterspell
?
>>
>>45292345
Thw utility options are the only ones of worth. Your attack spells lag behind too much to matter
>>
File: 22848.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
22848.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
hey /5eg/ If you were currently Dming, how would you feel about an arcane trickster running low on poison/completely out of poison attempting to use poison spray to slowly amass more in a container (somehow) or to coat their weapons in poison?
I'm that AT, I really want to poison shit, but I'm really unsure if I should take this cantrip on the off chance my DM goes fuck no.

>INB4 The spell makes poison gas not liquid.
>>
>>45292345
you still pretty much want to just attack as none of your spells will scale well with your level. a lot of your spell slots will be spent casting shield. you probably want an aoe spell or two, hold person/monster style spells, and the rest defensive/buff/utility spells.

get greenflame blade for sure too
>>
>>45292402
just ask your DM......?

i wouldn't allow it
>>
>>45292402
I wouldn't allow it.
>>
>>45292251
Eldritch Knight doesn't get 3rd level slots till level 13 champ.

You'd be an 11th level multiclass spellcaster, so you'd have a 6th level slot, but you won't be able to learn any Wizard spells higher than those you can learn as a 4th level EK i.e. 1st level
>>
File: 1421081886318.png (39KB, 290x336px) Image search: [Google]
1421081886318.png
39KB, 290x336px
>>45292417
>>45292445
Alright, thanks muchly anons.
Guess I'm just gonna take GFB or Booming Blade instead.
The fact that you cant use either with a crossbow/bow is pretty annoying, though, same with GFB -having- to hit a different creature.
>>
>>45292515

iirc you don't need the second guy to actually use gfb
>>
>>45292626
>green fire leaps to a Different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it
unless it got erratad, don't see why either spell is that great, apart from maybe cunning action disengaging with BB and making them take damage to chase you.
>>
>>45292662

you're a rogue, the effects are just icing on the cake when it's free magic damage
>>
>>45292689
>free
>I have to be within melee range of -anything-
>that anything has to have a buddy there next to it that can also rape my face

My character is unlucky.
Absurdly unlucky.
She has peter parker's luck.
>>
>>45292373
>>45292475
Damn. I thought the wording in multiclass spellcasting was weird, now I understand why.

Well, in that case, you could just knock a level off of Paladin and miss out on an ASI in exchange for a 5th level in Sorc/Lock, since they synergize with the Cha casting of Paladin. That actually makes this slightly less MAD, but HP would suffer.
>>
>>45292747

>that anything has to have a buddy there next to it that can also rape my face

you don't need another guy when you're using BB, and like I said I think it was clarified in a tweet or some shit that you don't need the second guy for gfb either, but if there is one then why wouldn't you want to hit them and get the damage on both?

you have uncanny dodge (well maybe not yet) and cunning action, are you really taking so much damage?
>>
>>45292747
Sounds like the cleric in my OotA group. She is a water cleric who had to be saved from drowning, Pissed off a drow diplomat after we managed to loose the drow slavers, and is he really known to bring bad luck to any action she attempts in.

On a side note though GFB on rogue is really nice once you get to lvl 5 and beyond. It really is just free bonus damage.
>>
>>45292823
>>45292845
oh I see where I fucked up.
I'm only 3 right now so GFB is only good for a possible second target an extra 3ish damage, but once I hit 5 it hits the first target as well as the second for the same damage.
>>
File: cho_001.jpg (102KB, 600x837px) Image search: [Google]
cho_001.jpg
102KB, 600x837px
So... Monk/Warlock, right?
>>
File: Physician.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Physician.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Made a "dedicated healer" homebrew class, tell me what you think
>>
>>45293010

make it a wizard archetype because it looks like you're just making another wizard
>>
>>45292402
Personally I'd allow it but it'd be pretty shitty poison damage.
>>
>>45293010
>healing cantrip

No. Bad. Stop it.

The rest seems alright if you want to have arcane magic healers instead of or in addition to divine healers for setting reasons. Thaumaegis should probably be concentration, and the targeting rules are a little clunky. I'd say make it range self choose any number of targets within 60 feet, but that's just me.
>>
A player wants to tank with his Barbarian, and he seems very unsatisfied with the facts that Barbs are basically "go all out and then be useless for a while."

How do I make a Barbarian Tank and keep the flavor? Or should I tell him to fuck off and pick Fighter
>>
>>45293307
Barbarians make great tanks. Block arrows with ones muscles and pick up the Bear totem to become an unkillable god that shits damage over a long fight.
>>
>>45293250
>>45293010
>soothe healing cantrip
yeah, gotta agree.
The only during a combat encounter matters little to nothing.
>party is half dead
>friends/hold person/anything that stops enemy attacking until they're attacked
>with one enemy left
Congrats, you just gave leave to heal up the entire party for however long the delay lasts.
Especially since it's a potential full heal for some classes at first level, especially if you roll for stats and get high on your spellcasting mod.
>>
>>45293307
1 Level in barb for flavor, then the rest in champion
>>
>>45293348

I can't believe I didn't consider that holy shit
>>
>>45293348
Couldn't your GM just say "that doesn't count as a combat encounter anymore" ?
>>
>>45293307
Make sure he uses a shield and has passable Dex. With that kind of AC, at early levels, he'll be on par with the fighter for tank.
>>
>>45288618
Something really neat: some of the pact of the chain warlock familiars give their master advantage on all saving throws against magic as long as they're within 10ft

You can get this from level 3
>>
>>45293348
Make it only apply for damage taken in the last round.
>>
>>45293469
Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.
>>
>>45293010
Change the dex saving throw proficiency to int saving throw prociciency, and the healing cantrip needs work. I'm not opposed to there being a healing cantrip but it should have limits. The limits on it atm are a bit weak and wonky. Instead, try making it a 1 min cast time, and can only heal people up to half their max HP. Allow it to be used on unconscious people and allow out of combat use though. I think that would be more useful and more balanced.
>>
>>45293424
If it's not friends or something that makes them non-hostile they're still trying to break out of it and kill you
If that doesn't fly-
Then you "restart" combat
assassin now gets a second use of assassinate on a still held enemy, since they cant possibly go before someone initiating combat.
There's probably some other dumb stuff that can only be done "once" per combat, but I can't think of it.
>>45293470
I like that, yeah, chane it to Last round, and maybe the current (if you might be last in the turn order)
>>
>>45293520
Yeah, it's in their monster manual entry for I think quasits and pseudo dragons. Imps too, but that one's more obscure because the bit that says they share magic resistance is in a small box three or four pages previous.
>>
>>45293522
Healing up to half out of combat effectively for free I don't like.

This version >>45293470 seems pretty reasonable.

Still not a huge fan of healing cantrips on principal, but I don't really think it would be unbalanced if restricted to the last round.
>>
>>45293469
The only problem is your familiar from pact of the chain is not the actual creature, but a fey spirit that takes that creatures form and personality on, since it is summoned with find familiar still. Just what I have been told about this, your DM can rule otherwise.
>>
Report from the third session of my new campaign:

>Wizard almost died at one point, but then I realized that I really my encounter wasn't really balanced so I just admitted my new DM mistake and fixed stuff
>Party then proceeds to kill a green dragon wyrmling in one turn. It critfailed its only attack.
>I need to take more notes on areas and stuff so I'm not scrambling to make things up
>I should also try less obvious foreshadowing in some cases
>>
>>45290774
Picking two fighting styles is pretty dope.
>>
>>45293646
I think that needs some citation because if you get no actual benefits from the expanded familiar choice list that pact of the chain gives you, then the book pact is literally the only one ever worth taking.
Seriously, you would just take the book pact and learn the find familiar ritual.
>>
>>45293648
If an encounter becomes obviously unbalanced, I tend to either give the party an escape route (Which still rewards XP, if you're the kind of DM that keeps up with that shit) or gives them an environmental factor to take advantage of/rebalance. Ballistas, boulders, etc.
>>
>>45290774
It's not mechanically weaker than other builds, it's just more boring. It's for people who don't like to make choices.
>>
>>45293691
There's a blurb in the MM that says with DM approval familiars can grant their benefits to warlocks. Granted I've yet to play with a DM who approved it
>>
I just started playing 5e with some friends after not playing much D&D for awhile.

Playing a Paladin I thought was pretty solid. Just got level 2 fairly quickly and can do 1d8+5 with my longsword and smite twice a day for good burst.
However the Rogue seems to be pumping out two 1d6+5 attacks a round and the warlock is blasting off 1d10+something even higher and then another 1d6.

I am feeling really lost here, no idea where these big numbers are coming from so consistently.
>>
>>45293646
The spell description says spirit, without the fey qualifier. You can choose whether the familiar you summon is fey, celestial, or fiend though. From what I just looked up, it seems really nitpicky to say that the familiar from Find Familiar doesn't actually count as the thing you chose it to be. If you want to interpret it that way that's fine, but it seems like a rather pointless nerf on very, very technical grounds.
>>
>>45293010
Just no. DMG specifically states NOT to have a healing cantrip and to NOT give wizards access to healing magic as then they shit all over clerics.

Pls think a little instead of trying to make everything oh so pretty.

Fucks sake, all homebrew needs is UA level formatting. Just put it in a text document instead of all that shit
>>
>>45293596
Well in truth a party can heal up to almost max with a short rest. A healing cantrip can become broken pretty easy but healing in general is also not a great hassle anymore so I don't see why you would be so restrictful on a healing cantrip as well.

Also it may be somewhat free but it's time consuming as well. A minute per heal will take awhile to heal up someone if they are badly hurt. If they are not badly hurt then at most they will only get one heal anyways since it caps at half HP.
>>
>>45293745
20 strength at level 2 huh?
>>
>>45293745
What fighting style did you take?

If the rogue is TWF with shortswords they'll be pulling off at most 3d6+Dex in a turn across two attacks. It eats a bonus action though, and if you've got a longsword (and I assume a shield) you have higher AC and way more HP.

The warlock one sounds right, Hex + Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast. Again, you have higher AC and way more HP.

Damage output is all over the place for the lower levels, but you'll be pulling ahead at 5th onward, trust me. Keep in mind that you also have some healing with lay on hands, and you can forgo smiting to do some magic paladin bullshit.
>>
>>45293745
>rogue seems to be pumping out two 1d6+5 attacks
he's probably doing 2d6+5 and not 1d6+5 twice (unless he's twf). he's getting the extra 1d6 likely because of sneak attack. you'll catch up in the damage department once you get multiple attacks. you're for sure much more defensively powerful than the rogue since you get heavy armor, shields, and a bigger hit die.
>warlock is blasting off 1d10+something even higher then another 1d6
your warlock probably used hex in combination with his eldritch blast + agnonizing blast.

since you're using a longsword, you should be using a shield. your AC is going to be higher than them and your HP is going to be higher too. around level 5 or so you'll start pulling ahead in damage.
>>
>>45293744
>with dm approval

I hate rules like that. I get that everything is subject to rule 0 but it should at least have some sort of reference as to how it /should/ be so overconservative dms don't simply err on the side of caution for the sake of caution.
It's like the wild magic sorcerer's rolls and when to recharge tides of chaos - it's ridiculous how it's essentially 'how well this mechanic works depends on how well your dm remembers it exists and how much he likes you'
>>
>>45293829
Most likely dueling combat style and 16 str.
>>
>>45293786
/tg/, where we shit on people for being pretty
>>
>>45293691
>>45293781
Well I planned to make a pact of the chain warlock awhile ago and that's what my DM ruled. Also here is a sage advice link for that ruling. Of course if your DM rules in favor of letting you get that shared magic resistance with your familiar that's awesome, I'm just sharing my experience in the matter.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/do-chain-pact-warlocks-get-the-familiars-magic-resistance/
>>
>>45293922
There's absolutely no reason to not just type it out on a single page note
>>
>>45293916
How's the rogue getting that +5?
>>
>>45293937
rouges use dex, thought you were talking about the paladin.
No idea, unless his first level was fighter/pally/ranger.
>>
>>45293937
Maybe they rolled for stats, they both have 20 STR/DEX, and the Rogue is cheating by adding their ability modifier to their offhand attack
>>
>>45293933
Jesus Christ as if there wasn't already enough of a reason to just take book pact + find familiar
>>
>>45293806
>Well in truth a party can heal up to almost max with a short rest.

But they're expending a resource to do so, which is what I see as the main difference.
>>
>>45293936

No reason not to spend 10 minutes in Photoshop for that aesthetic
>>
>>45293984
The real power in the Chain pact is the Chains of Carceri invocation. You can be functionally in two places at once, one of which is invisible with a flying speed, with no limit on distance as long as you're on the same plane. It's not hard to use that ability to tear a campaign wide open through social fuckery alone.
>>
>>45294047
I'm confused as to how Chains of Carceri breaks a campaign wide open, to be honest. You can cast Hold Monster once per day per celestial/fiend/elemental you encounter without using a spell slot or material components.
>>
>>45293745
Not sure on the rogue but the warlock is most likely using agonizing blast invocation and his hex spell. It can pump out solid enough damage. Since you are lvl 2 you could use divine favor to pump up your damage by a D4 each attack for one combat. If you feel you need to.

>>45293984
In truth the chain familiars are still superior to normal familiars. they are stronger, can deliver messages, can turn invisible and change shape. Unless you plan to go owl the best any other familiar can do is scout some and be a good RP pet.
>>
>>45294047
>>45294071
Voice of the Chain Master, I meant. Shit. Point stands, though.
>>
>>45294047
The spell Mislead does the same
>>
>>45294047
That's why I think the spell resistance is an interesting 'balancer' - it only works when it's within 10 feet of you so you need to choose one or the other advantage at any time.
>>
>>45294025
True but it's a pretty readily available resource. You get half back on a long rest and you honestly rarely need more than half to heal your wounds.
>>
>>45294111
It's a shame you can't cast spells through your familiar beyond 100 feet. But I definitely see the potential in having a shapeshifting, intelligent pair of eyes and ears that is invisible and flying anywhere on the same plane of existence as you.
>>
>>45293933
It's a Variant, so in truth the answer is "ask your DM"
>>
I'd be all over a humanoid beholser monstruous race.
>>
>>45294332
Do their women wear behosiery?
>>
File: 1454387907038.jpg (647KB, 1048x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1454387907038.jpg
647KB, 1048x1500px
Homebrewing a monster that is susceptible to turn undead, how would I word this?
So far I've got:
Turn Susceptibility: X is affected by effects that turn undead.
I find this inelegant but I've looked through the MM and I can't find any alternative wordings.
>>
>>45295159
Why not just make it undead..?
>>
File: Flirtatious Rogue.png (121KB, 251x253px) Image search: [Google]
Flirtatious Rogue.png
121KB, 251x253px
>>45295183
Reasons. I realize that's a shitty and unsatisfying answer but that is the long-and-short of it. I'm not trying to be difficult, I promise- you can always count on me to make things easier for myself every time that I could. This is not one of those times.
>>
>>45295159
Turn Susceptibility: X counts as undead for the purpose of effects that turn undead.

Are you planning on putting it up somewhere, or do you just prefer your home-made monsters to have tight wording?
>>
>>45295224
Fair enough. I'd just go with >>45295252 and call it a day.
>>
>>45295252
Alternatively: X is considered to be an undead creature for the purpose of effects that turn undead.

That's closer to 5e's wording.
>>
File: Spunky Drow-Apologist.png (5KB, 212x209px) Image search: [Google]
Spunky Drow-Apologist.png
5KB, 212x209px
>>45295273
That has a more active voice, yeah. Although i've got this knee-jerk reaction to "considered". Is there any other statblock that uses this word?
>>
>>45295324
>filename
I require an explanation
>>
File: Bratty Heiress-Captain.png (153KB, 246x299px) Image search: [Google]
Bratty Heiress-Captain.png
153KB, 246x299px
I guess I could always just drop "considered":
An X is an undead against effects that turn undead
still not very satisfying. I'm trying to avoid it sounding like Pathfinder wording.
>>45295351
I have a massive character art folder and to limit how much I save I've tasked myself with giving each image I save a personality and a descriptor. I saw this one and went to the "brown elf = half-drow" part of my myriad fetishes and wondered "If one of their parents is drow, wouldn't they try to defend them and who they are?"
Thus, Spunky Drow-Apologist.
>>
>>45293596
Allow the healing cantrip, but instead it expends a use of the target's Hit Dice.
>>
>>45295946
I second that solution. It keeps the freely available healing feel, but puts a hard cap on how much you can use it during the adventuring day.
>>
How come we never got to see anyone that mastered conjuring abilities in any of the DnD movies? I'd like to have seen a party member that was a necromancer or liked to conjur up elementles or at least a ranger with some pets communicating with the creatures of the woods.
>>
>>45295993
>players can now shortrest whenever and wherever they like

Player detected
>>
File: Punchy Cleric Girl.jpg (132KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Punchy Cleric Girl.jpg
132KB, 600x800px
>>45295946
I would limit it to one hit die per casting since it is only a cantrip.

Otherwise I have to agree with >>45296071 .
>>
>>45295946
>>45296190
And make it a class feature, not a cantrip. Then it could be more balanced as part of the class, and not be snagged as other cantrips can.
>>
>>45296071
>Only short rest to heal.
Playing a Warlock is suffering, I swear.
>>
>>45296190
If its a cantrip they can just sit there casting it until they have spent 20 hit die that way
>>45296249
Some kind of Wisdom modifier per long rest I would be OK with
>>
>>45293744
Do you mind giving a page reference? Ctrl+f'd my copy and can't seem to find it.
>>
>>45294106
>In truth the chain familiars are still superior to normal familiars. they are stronger, can deliver messages, can turn invisible and change shape.
This is
1) Absolutely true. Anyone who argues that is braindead or trolling.
2) Just not good enough.
>>
How do I CG Brass Dragonborn monk?

Roleplaying is a little weird, like I get Dragon clans and stuff like that but some things flavour wise are a bit odd eg. non-chromatics are/aren't evil aligned(?)

Seeing that monks primarily use Dex and Wis now, does Str in anyway help?

First 5e character, used to play 3rd in middle school and that's about it.
>>
>>45296383
Pretty much this.
Sure, you have a better familiar than normal, that's the baseline requirement of the pact even being a thing.

Is it comparable to having access to a number of out of class cantrips completely of your choice, and then all of wizard ritual magic that keys off your CHA if needed, and having a normal familiar on top of that at no extra cost?
Yeaaahhh no.

The shared spell resistance is one of the things that pushes it into viability.
>>
Is unarmed monk horrible in 5e compared to using a weapon or is it viable?
>>
>>45296510
You may as well two hand a quarterstaff for the d8 damage dice, but once you reach level 11 your punches do d8 anyway

But the average for a d4 is 2 and the average for a d8 is 4, its only ever 2 damage so chill out
>>
>>45296454
In typical D&D fare, Chromatic dragons are evil, and Metallic are good. This restriction isn't always used, since a lot of people think it's lame to force all of x creature to be y alignment. Even in worlds that use this restriction, though, it doesn't apply to dragonborn. They are only distant relatives to dragons, so you can be whatever alignment you want.

Worth noting, since this is your first character. Monks are weak. They aren't unplayably weak, but it is noticable. A dragonborn doesn't give a monk anything it needs, so you would be even further behind the rest of your party, unless they were equally unoptimised.
>>
>>45296510
In 5e as a monk you want to use a quarterstaff in two hands, at least until you get to lvl 5 and pretty much most creatures have nonmagical weapon resistance. All melee monk weapons use dex instead of str on attack and damage rolls, which is very hand and also just plain awesome imo.
>>
>>45296510
You're really just restricting yourself needlessly, but I don't think it's a huge difference either way. Mostly it's just a smaller die at low levels and you wont be able to do slashing or piercing damage
>>
>>45296535

So is there any way I can make up for the disadvantage or am I just fucked?
>>
>>45296694
Well, is it point buy, or rolled stats?

If it's rolled, than you can luck out and have good stats, anyway.

Point buy, you're fucked. You need your dex and wis, and the highest you can have it is 15, pumping them to 16 at level 4. Playing a race with Dex and Wis bonuses means starting with 1 higher to hit and damage, and 2 higher AC for the first 3 levels.
>>
File: oie_BYdHDOOuUOuv.gif (1MB, 320x164px) Image search: [Google]
oie_BYdHDOOuUOuv.gif
1MB, 320x164px
>>45296836

Welp, I'm fucked.

I'll see how it goes, should be fun either way.
>>
>>45296890
... Do you at least have 15 in Dex and Wis?
>>
>>45296913

15 Dex, 14 Wis

Don't have the sheet on me, but I do remember putting the highest Values in those two.
>>
>>45296959
That 14 wis hurts you a little more. It means you can only get one of them to 16 at level 4. Oh well, like you said, it should be fun either way. You won't be downright useless, and you have a few things that other people won't be able to do, but it will show that you're a little underpowered. Maybe your DM will be nice and throw you some magic items that can help balance it out.
>>
>>45296959
>>45297013
Dwarf monk in my party has 15 dex. Shes doing okay and has been a contributing member thusfar. We're only level 3 at the moment.

So I wouldn't worry too much. In the beginning everything is super swing anyway because no one is rocking huge AC or to hit bonuses, so rolling high is really the best method of hitting monsters.
>>
>>45297113
dwarf monks are much better than dragonborn monks
>>
File: 1330761181371.jpg (27KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1330761181371.jpg
27KB, 240x320px
>>45297257

Thanks man.
>>
>>45297276
+1 wisdom and +1 HP per-level is really nice for monks, especially when you get to a high enough level for your dexterity to be 20 anyway
>>
5e noob here. I'll be getting into a game that's going to be combat heavy and on the difficult side of things. What's the best class for combat in general? The obvious choice would be barbarian, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>45297314
Combat in general? Every class is designed to be a part of combat. Combat is a big part of the game. The best in combat is the best class. The only answer people could really agree on for that is NOT Ranger or Monk. Probably not Barb, either, though.
>>
>>45297303
Variant human is pretty good for monks if the game is using point buy. There are several feats with really good synergy, and you really don't want to delay getting Dex and Wisdom as high as you can.

>>45297314
If you're in a game that's going to be featuring a lot of difficult combat, I'd say that the most important thing is to coordinate with the other players when it comes to deciding your class.

A Great Weapon Master Barbarian does have some impressive damage, especially during rage, but with a two handed weapon you're going to have serious troubles when it comes to AC as a front line character.
>>
>>45297383
Well yeah, variant humans are brilliant for every class.

Variant humans are the best race in the game
>>
>>45297451
I wouldn't say 'best'. More like... Tied for best.

Half-elves, mate. Half-elves.
>>
>>45297451
>Variant humans are the best race in the game

I disagree. A single feat really doesn't outweigh the benefits of the other strong races. Variant Human is particularly good for certain builds, but they aren't the optimal choice for most classes. They're just very versatile.

Versatility != power.
>>
>>45296290
Pseudodragon, MM pp. 254
Quasit, MM pp. 63
Imp, MM pp. 69
>>
>>45297490
Not him, but for any class, variant human is either tied for the best option, or slightly behind. Being able to choose where to put your points means you can start with a 16 in your 2 main stats no matter what class you play, and a feat on top of that. Versatility = Power in this case.
>>
>>45297582
But if you can't see in the dark, won't you get raped?
>>
>>45297638
Assuming you have no light source, or spell/ability to create a light source, or spell/ability to see in the dark, or magic item that sheds light or lets you see in the dark... Yes.
>>
>>45297314
The best classes for heavy combat are paladin, wizard, sorcerer, fighter, and cleric. Tbqh almost all classes are good at combat in some form or another but these classes have the best abilities for combat.
>>
>>45297638
Actually a serious disadvantage for the races that don't have it when playing with DMs who don't just hand wave it.

>>45297664
Carrying a light source is a serious disadvantage for any situation requiring stealth.
>>
>>45297714
Yes, if you need to go into a pitch black area stealthfully, and don't have the darkvision spell, or a friend who can cast it, or a magic item that can give you darkvision, or a class feature, you are better off being the OTHER race that is great for every class.
>>
I already asked this yesterday but I couldn't see the replies since the thread was replaced so quickly, so I'll ask again.

I'm building a chainpact feylock, and the patron is an ancient hag, ie evil. Should I still go with a Pseudodragon or Sprite, or would an Imp or a Quasit be more fitting because of the alignment? Related question, does a warlock pick their own familiar or is it chosen by hte patron?

Also, I have no experience with familiars in 5e, but the quasit seems to be the most effective familiar by far (in combat anyway).
>>
>>45297451
Not really the best, would say the second best for every class.

Half-Orc or Goliath are the best for Barb, but V. Human is right next.

Half-Elf is the best for Paladin, Bard and Warlock, but V. Human is right next.

Ghostwise Halfling or Wood elf are the best for Monk, but V. Human is right next.

They're the eternal 2nd in every class, they're good, but their best attribute is versatility to fit every character concept, and I don't think that's bad.
>>
>>45297786
>>45297664
>magic item as a solution to this problem

How many magic items do you have, Anon? Damn.
>>
>>45297804
I'm not saying a magic item is the solution to every problem, I'm saying that is A solution. I listed others, aswell, but let's just ignore those, I guess.
>>
>>45296959
Played a tiefling monk like that...died
Then tried again...died again

Seems AC 14 is no good if you want to punch in melee
>>
>>45296477
Said it better than I could've. That aside, Chain is STILL less "Holy FUCK nigga, you did WHAT"-tier than Blade.

I'm fairly certain the easiest hotfix would be some pseudo-smite whose damage type keys off the Patron's type usable CHA + 1 times per short rest, but given how much resists flames it'd probably not be worthwhile for Fiend.
>>
>>45297786
No, you're better off with the other race(s) that's great for YOUR class. You don't play every class at once. In most cases they'll be stronger than the human anyway.
>>
>>45297816
It's really not. 15 is decent. 16 is better. The unobtainable AC of other front line fighters would be good.
>>
File: draconomicon.jpg (257KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
draconomicon.jpg
257KB, 1024x768px
>>45296454

If you want to dig into the flavor on dragons, or just Brass dragons specifically consider reading their segment in Draconomicon.

It's a 3.5 book, but the flavor still applies and it's a pretty good book.

http://earthofshadow.ucoz.ru/_ld/0/8_draconomicon.-..pdf
>>
>guides for optimization in giantitp
>they say barb is the best melee damage dealer
>xbow xpert and Sharpshooter are recommended feats
Mother fucking liers
>>
>>45297869
crossbow expert is pretty good, considering that the bonus action attack can trigger off of another hand crossbow, or even the same hand crossbow if your DM rules it that way
>>
>>45297839
Idk I am a human warlock in the underdark and I'm doing just dandy. My free feat was moderately armored so now I am a caster with a really high AC and since I an fiend patron I get temp hp when I knock creatures out. Half elf would be a solid option for warlock too but having 4 extra AC is grand for the wildly unpredictable and dangerous underdark.
>>
>>45297841
a wood elf monk can start with an AC 16 with point buy and get DEX to 18 at level 4
>>
>>45297884
Yes, but not for barbs which 90% of their features work only with melee str weapon attacks
>>
>>45297839
Most classes do better with a feat. Every class does better with maxing their main abilities as fast as possible. One race can do both. In the scenario of "it is very important for it to be dark, and for you to see, and no one else can do this, and there is nothing to help you", well, shit, yeah, being a half-elf would of been nice, since you are probably the parties only stealth character. But you know what? Outside of those moments, you could probably use that feat.
>>
>>45297918
oh...

Yeah no, the feat barbarians want is great weapon master, sharpshooter and crossbow expert are useless for them. Take thosefeats on a rogue
>>
>>45297923
I'm not even the guy who said variant human was the best race. I think it is tied with half-elf, because they get the same versatility, but with +2 cha, an extra skill, elvish, darkvision, and fey ancestry at the cost of that feat. These two races? OBJECTIVELY BEST IN THE GAME. It shouldn't need to be spelled out for people.

Mountain Dwarf is also pretty great, but only if you want to stack Str and Con, because you can have 2 18s by level 4.
>>
>>45297954
Some races are goat for some classes, v. Human is pretty good for anything. Then there's tieflings. At least feral tieflings make good bladesinger....oh wait
>>
>>45297977
Tiefling is goat for everything.
>>
>>45297816
AC 14 is asking for death.
>>
>>45297985
Tiefling is shit, and people who play tieflings outside of Planescape are shit.
>>
>>45298014
They can't help but be goat.
>>
>>45298014
Go kindly fuck yourself
>>
>>45297816

Tiefling monk is an inherently bad idea. Both your stat bumps are to stats that easily qualify for dumps stats. And that's on one of the most heavily ability score dependent classes in the game.
>>
>>45298032
Tieflings are almost as bad as Dragonborn.
>>
>>45298044

We get it, you're a min-max supremacist.
>>
>>45298014
>>45298044

This man speaks the true.
>>
>>45298037
b-but muh crawling in my skin shadow monk
>>
>>45297898
Yes. That is the best a Monk can have. It is worse than other front line fighters. That's the point of what I said. What is the point in what you said?
>>
>>45298054
Nah, I hate both those races purely on flavor. That they're also mechanically inferior is largely irrelevant.
>>
>>45290830
that is actually pretty cool, IMO.
>>
>>45298054

>"If you don't like special snowflake races that fit in about as well as a green pepper in a trifle then you must be a min-maxer"
>>
>>45298063
>I'm so dark, you guys.
>>
>>45298080
>Tieflins don't fit
>Monks don't fit
Hey, guys, we have one of the wotc devs here, he must know alot about what fits or doesn't fit in the game because he's one of the creators, right?
>>
>>45298073
just an observation. I wasn't responding to what you said so much as the conversation topic. Now I'm wishing I had made my wood elf a monk instead of a druid. With the stats I rolled I'd have had an 18 AC and an 18 Dex at level 1.
>>
>>45298080
>This dragonborn doesn't fit in.
>Because ANY of the standard classes other than ROGUE fit in.
You're a fucking adventurer. YOU DON'T FIT IN, UNLESS YOU ARE PRETENDING TO.
>>
>>45298106
THAT would of made a good monk. 18 AC, so 18 Dex and Wis at level 1? You'd actually be able to grab some feats by level 12. Or even just pump con.
>>
So I kinda rolled up a human monk with these stats and houserule says we all get a free feat at lvl3 (currently lvl2 preparing to level up).

11 Str
17 Dex
15 Con
16 Int
17 Wis
10 Cha

I'd like to hear some suggestions.
I'm going to pick sun soul tradition.

So I had the idea of picking up magic initiate(wizard) and get sword burst as a cantrip.
Anyone know what other spells I could pick?
>>
>>45298122
19 Wis. rolled an 18 a 16 and two 14s. Put the 18 in WIS (bumped to 19 for wood elf) and the 16 in Dex (bumped to 18 for elf) and one of the 14s in Con.
>>
>>45298154
Nice. I woulda put the 18 in Dex just for dat 20 at level 1, but the Wis is probably hella useful.
>>
>>45298097

>"The 5e devs wrote Forgotten Realms"
>"These races aren't a retarded retcon, I swear!"

lol okay

Dragonborn and Tieflings as core races are retarded in literally any setting that isn't Points of Light, and the only reason they fit in PoL is because PoL was so ill defined as to barely qualify as a setting at all.

They belong in the Monsters Manual with a big "ON GM APPROVAL ONLY" label stamped on them.

>>45298115

Dragonborn are so out of place that they were literally retconned as extra-dimensional.

I didn't mean "Fit in" as in "Fit in to society" I meant "Fit into the world"
Also, every class except like, Warlock and Sorcerer, fit in perfectly fine in the societies that are inclined towards them and adventuring is basically an established profession.
>>
>>45298174
>Tieflings as core races are retarded in literally any setting that isn't Points of Light

Planescape.
>>
>>45298167
For Druid, yeah I wanted that 19 in my magic ability. Plan on taking Observant feat at level 4 to get it up to 20 and a passive perception of 20.
>>
>>45298191
Right, yes, druid. Definitely better to throw it on Wis.
>>
>>45298174
So... Do you just ONLY play FR? Because no one I know doesn't use homebrew worlds. If your reasoning is because they don't fit FR, you're on your own.
>>
>>45298213

I play in plenty of settings and they don't fit into any of them.
They also don't fit in any of my homebrew because I generally don't write my worlds for the 12-16 year olds that WoTC included Dragonborn and Tieflings to appeal to.
>>
>>45298174
>every class except like, Warlock and Sorcerer, fit in perfectly fine
Presumably, at some point, you are going to come to a settlement. You know what doesn't fit in? Tribal people. Normally not friendly animals. Fully armored people. People with large weapons. People with magic items. People with MAGIC. Anything that isn't a Dex based martial with no obviously special gear. So, a guy with leather armor, and a bow or a rapier.
>>
>>45298246
Okay. No more (you)s. Your'e cut off. Trolling or dumb, either doesn't deserve conversation.
>>
>>45298255

Do you play in some kind of homebrewed low-magic setting?
Because what you're describing doesn't hold true in any published D&D setting ever.

If you wanna play in "Literally medieval Europe" then that's your affair.
>>
>>45298270
In published material, everyone immediately recognises you as an adventurer. You go to places that are filled with NORMAL PEOPLE. There is a reason that NPCs don't all have class levels.
>>
>>45298309

>everyone immediately recognizes you as an adventurer.

Yeah?

There's nothing out of place about being an adventurer in FR or most other published settings, they're needed.
>>
>>45297861
>No permission

I will look into this though, thanks.
>>
>>45298342
So what's the difference between
>That guy has big armor. OH! Adventurer!
And
>That guy has a dragon face. OH! Adventurer!

Or, better yet.
>A moon elf? In these parts? Must be an adventurer.
And
>A tiefling? Here
You get the picture.
>>
>>45298399

Elves and Adventurer's Guilds fit organically into the setting.
Meanwhile Dragonborn not only had to be retconned into existence, but they're so bizarre that they literally had to use "They're visitors from another planet" as an excuse to have them at all.
Like I said, I'm not against having either of the races be there at all, but they shouldn't be a fucking core race because that implies some degree of commonality.
Just fucking put them in the DMG or the Monsters manual.

There a big fucking difference in the degree between "Oh he's carrying a big sword? He must be a career warrior"
And
"Oh he has scales and breathes lightning? He must be one of the dragon-men from space"
>>
>>45298174
>with a big "ON GM APPROVAL ONLY" label stamped on them
This stamp is in the PHB (although not really big). It clearly states that there are four core races, and the other races should be taken up with the DM
>>
>>45298488
I don't see such a stamp. Only the statement (both in Chapter 1 and 2) that Man, Elf, Dwarf and Halfling are way more common / have much higher populations than the other races.

>>45298460
Why would one need to make up some shit about space? Dragonborn are the result of dragons literally fucking around, and dragons are always fucking around. Among the countless other bizarre creatures in the world, a race of humanoid dragons in a game called Dungeons&DRAGONS is pretty mundane.
>>
So I just organised with my DM that my Stats for My DB monk would be changed to 15 Dex, 15 Wis, etc at the cost of lowering str (which doesn't matter it seems).

Would things be better now?
>>
>>45298670
>AC 14 as a martial
You love the risk it seems
>>
>>45298642

>Dragonborn are the result of dragons literally fucking around, and dragons are always fucking around. Among the countless other bizarre creatures in the world, a race of humanoid dragons in a game called Dungeons&DRAGONS is pretty mundane.

Are you entirely sure you understand how populations work?

For there to be an entire RACE of these things the dragons would need to literally make a point of breeding them and then breeding them with each other over and over to get the numbers up.
Just occasionally fucking around with some mortals would not result in a race, which is why Half-Dragons are distinct from Dragonborn and are in the fucking Monsters Manual where they belong.
>>
>>45298670

Things are still gonna be rough, but if you can make it to level 4 you'll be a lot better off because you can bump both up to 16 at once.
>>
File: happy-Copy.gif (943KB, 450x254px) Image search: [Google]
happy-Copy.gif
943KB, 450x254px
>>45298706

Thanks for the heads up mang, bless you with good shekels and fortune.
>>
File: TheGnomeRaar.png (171KB, 446x276px) Image search: [Google]
TheGnomeRaar.png
171KB, 446x276px
>>45298703
>and are in the fucking Monsters Manual where they belong.
>>
It sucks that monks are so shitty by design, their mechanics are the most interesting thing about 5e for me
>>
>>45298725
Points of Light gnomes are pretty different from other DnD gnomes.
>>
>>45280246
What is the best thing to do to earn money at the DMGuild?
>>
>>45298737
Not shitty, just lowest support from feats and magic items
>>
>>45298775
content for vin diesel.
being friends with vin diesel helps too.
>>
>>45298642
>Dragonborn are the result of dragons literally fucking around, and dragons are always fucking around.
Dragonborn are spawned from drops of Io's blood. dragon sorcerers are the result of dragon fuckery
>>
>>45280246
Shaper psion.
>>
>>45298642
>I don't see such a stamp. Only the statement (both in Chapter 1 and 2) that Man, Elf, Dwarf and Halfling are way more common / have much higher populations than the other races.
You are right, I was wrong. I was sure it said something like that in the PHB, but that's only in regard to Drow, not the other uncommon races. My bad.

Still, when we started our 5e campaign some time ago I made it clear that playing an uncommon race (except for half-elves), wouldn't be without consequences.
>>
>>45299412
>so whats the consequence
>Fuck you, thats the consequence
> ;-;
>I hope you like pain, PC
>>
>>45299555
Such is the life of an outstanding member of a race that is kin to monsters.
On that note, anyone considered playing a Planescape variant tiefling in the Ravenloft module?
>>
>>45298174
Tiefling could have just been here's some stats for people with devilish heritage. Dragonborn would be the same thing for people with draconic heritage. They didn't have to have the whole history of a race and this is what they are doing in the setting. They could have been just as developed as half-elves and half-orcs, culturally.
>>
>>45299921
They already have those other things though.
>>
Currently DMing a FR game, by party request (slightgrimace). Need a hospice for the insane, run by some religious order. What god or goddess would that be in the default FR pantheon from the Sword Coast book?
>>
>>45295324
Mules do. Beast of Burden: The mule is considered to be a Large animal for the purpose of determining its carrying capacity.
>>
>group of people new to DnD
>I volunteer to DM
>we play the starter set
>is fun, wish to continue
>now have to make my own adventure from scratch
>don't have any good ideas

wake.me.up
>>
>>45300261
Run Princes of the Apocalypse. It has a couple paragraphs that can tie it to the campaign.
>>
>>45300261

>>now have to make my own adventure from scratch

No you don't.

There's modules you could run, even ones directly tied into Mines of Phandelver.

If you're not comfortable making your own shit yet, use those.
>>
a nude elf girl riding a unicorn
>>
>>45300468
a nude elf boy riding a unicorn
>>
>>45300489
faggot go
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.