[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a system for playing Final Fantasy-inspired games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 16

File: FF Tropes.png (156KB, 1977x779px) Image search: [Google]
FF Tropes.png
156KB, 1977x779px
Is there a system for playing Final Fantasy-inspired games?
>>
>>44999828
There are three.
>>
>>44999828
The FF8 slot for Ancient Civilization is wrong. The Centra left behind "shelters" that were used to make the Gardens.
>>
>>44999865
And they're all shit.
>>
File: FFXIII_Lindblum.png (1MB, 1040x585px) Image search: [Google]
FFXIII_Lindblum.png
1MB, 1040x585px
>>44999828
>FF13
>This game doesn't even have airships

As much as I hated this game, really?
>>
>>44999828
inb4 GURPS
>>
GURPS
>>
>>44999828
Chart's wrong.

in FF8, the gardens were left behind by an ancient civilization, so all of 8's blocks should be blue.
>>
>>44999828
>Garland merges with Chaos, becoming a demon god thing
No, no, that's completely wrong. Chaos is actually just a much older, more powerful Garland from the distant past.
>>
>>44999981
>>45000070
>>45000285
>>45000298
I think we can all agree that this chart is not entirely correct.
>>
>>44999828
>Is there a system for playing Final Fantasy-inspired games
That depends entirely on which FF game you're trying to emulate.
>>
Are the FF games worth playing? I've never played any of them and know nothing about them.
>>
>>44999828
>Zidane having amnesia
That's...somewhat debatable. Yeah he remembers Terra as some vague blue light, but as I recall he was pretty much fresh out of the tube when Kuja grabbed him and dumped him off on Gaia, hence the memories being half-formed. It's not like he suddenly remembers everything when he gets to Terra.
>HA HA HA
god DAMN it
>>
>>45000416
Each game is completely different from any of the other ones.

COnsensus is also that only 6 and 9 are any real good - everything has at least one multiple hour long section of the game that just drags and isn't fun or interesting to play, and they're the only ones where the actual plot and story remain interesting throughout, rather than devolving into nonsense
>>
>>45000416
They all use very similar combat up until about 10, and they all have similar themes. They're approachable for kids in a moral sense. All that said, each one is different enough that you can very easily like some and not others. I could break them down, but for time's sake I'll recommend the first, if you want to play what was basically the Japanese take on D&D, the fourth for the most fantastic story, the sixth for an awesome villain and cool set pieces, the seventh for the best overall setting and a cool cyberpunk theme, the eighth if you don't mind tedium and love to laugh at corny shit, the ninth if you want the first, but with more plot, and the tenth if you like any of the others.

The rest are really shaky. Twelve was a huge deviation from the series, and is very polarizing. Thirteen is almost universally panned for being poorly written and eleven and fourteen are pretty good MMOs, in my opinion
>>
>>45000470
>COnsensus is also that only 6 and 9 are any real good
There are plenty of people who hate 9. 6 is pretty much liked if not loved by most
>>
>>45000488
>Not recommending the fifth
>>
>>45000538
The story is basic and the characters are pretty flat. The only interesting one dies
>>
>>45000538
Came here to post this.

>>45001123
It's still a solid game, and the newest one with a job system. FF12IZJS is... it doesn't count.
Many of the games past it use parts of its plot. Also Gilgamesh and it's where that mimic from 6 comes from.
>>
>>45001246
Look, I'm not gonna act like Gilgamesh isn't the sickest carryover from every game he's in, but he doesn't stop the game being pretty boring, and he certainly doesn't stop NInja from destroying the meta
>>
>>44999828
This one was my favorite.
>>
File: how to ff d6.jpg (57KB, 1899x281px) Image search: [Google]
how to ff d6.jpg
57KB, 1899x281px
>>45001273
Ninja only helps, it's really Mimic letting you minmax stuff and combinations that shouldn't work in the first place. Like dual wielding and sword magic interacting kind of makes sense, but twincast and sword magic doesn't.

>>45001372
This one's interesting, but I like the FFd6 one better. It's also too big to post, so good luck.
>>
>>45001595
Don't use the Returners system. It's a piece of shit.
>>
>>44999828
Zemus wanted to eliminate all the existing nations so he could conquer Blue Planet and repopulate with his own people.

Only KluYa was out looking for some hot earth pussy.
>>
>>45001851
A noble goal if ever there was one
>>
>>45001868
Both are noble goals.

This charts got a lot of things wrong
Too bad I'm laying down and on a phone or I'd do something about it.
>>
>>45001851
Zemus wanted to, but Zeromus just wanted to destroy.
>>
>>44999828
FFXII wasn't an ancient civilisation that left behind stuff. The Occuria were still very much around and kicking and playing the puppet strings all along, and they intentionally gave Nethicite to specific people.

Dunno about any of the others but I don't think this chart is accurate.
>>
>>45001246
FFX-2 had the most recent job system.

It's worth mentioning, since that and combat were the only things that game got right.
>>
>>45002137
FF12 IZJS had a fully fleshed out job system.
>>
>>45002137
God, the combat in that game was really good, why did the story have to be utter trash until the concert? The concert was so good too!
>>
File: latest[1].png (243KB, 509x339px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
243KB, 509x339px
>>45002098
FFXII also says the main guy didn't fall in love with the main girl, but then it talks about some chump named Vaan instead of the real main character, who most certainly landed some of the best pussy in the FF series.
>>
>>45002195
Basch, Ashe, Balthier was the only party. Fran can sub in when someone's out
>>
>>45001988
Actually Zeromus just wants to "consume you into this darkness I(Zeromus) has wrought".
Since Darkness is really just another way to say Hate in FF4, he actually just wants to consume everyone and everything in Hatred.
>>
File: 1337643669430.png (191KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
1337643669430.png
191KB, 500x330px
>>45002195
Fun fact, Basche was originally supposed to be the protagonist, but Vaan was implemented after marketing started to worry that not going with a generic prettyboy MC would be deviating too much from the formula.

Never mind the fact that 12 was already a massive breakaway from everything that had defined the Final Fantasy genre before that point anyway.

Oh, Japan. How I weep for you.
>>
FF9 is my personal favorite of the series. I have played 6 to 13. I love the story and sort of steam punk but not really setting and themes.... just really got connected to those characters, which is bound to happen in some of the games. FF8 really fucked with me, i enjoyed it for sure but damn after finishing i had to take a day or two to get my shit together
>>
>>45002307
Vaan wasn't even bad. He was nothing. That's worse than bad. Penelo too, but at least she had a nice butt
>>
That being said, FF8 was very easy to manipulate the leveling system and become overpowered very quickly.
>>
>>45002307
It was SO CLOSE to being one of the best FF in my personal list. But then three characters ruin it: Vaan, Penelo, Vayne.
>>
File: 1361590620285.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1361590620285.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>45002213
The best way to play XII is to pretend Vaan and Penelo don't exist for the vast majority of the game.

All the other main characters are actually very well written, even when compared to examples from outside mainstream Japanese media.
>>
>>45002345
You don't even need too, they made all enemies scale with Squall's levels for some reason. You can just let him die and leave him KOd the whole game and steamroll shit with Zell's limit
>>
Grimdark FFIX-2 when? Freya still has bottles to drink and asses to kick.
>>
>>45002377
I know. It hurts. I don't even care that Fran and her race was just an excuse for the devs to masturbate while they worked, they're cool
>>
>>45000416
Final Fantasy X-2 is like playing the best JRPG ever made whilst simultaneously being forced to watch the worst anime ever made.

IE The gameplay is fantastic and the world is interesting enough, but holy fucking shit the story and the characters are all trainwrecks.
>>
File: 534531213216.jpg (115KB, 614x613px) Image search: [Google]
534531213216.jpg
115KB, 614x613px
>>45002374
Shutcho mouf. Vayne was one of the better FF villains. He had an understandable motive, and from a fairly reasonable perspective, his goal was actually incredibly noble.

Massive spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cibQCyJr4Qs
>>
The real early Final Fantasy games are literally like D&D. The enemies are basically D&D enemies.
>>
>>45002385
fun fuckin game amirite?
>>
>>45002431
Oh yeah, the dialogue was fucking annoying in this game too. I understand what they were going for, but almost every cutscene was a lullaby
>>
>>45002450
I actually like it a lot and replay it often. Sum of it's parts, I guess
>>
>>45002307
Basch, Balthier, Ashe, Larsa, and to a lesser extent Vaan are all protagonists.
They have stories and further the plot. Vaan just stops doing that really early on.

Vaan is the 'viewpoint character.' He's boring, has relatable goals, and really just watches the interesting people do things.
>>
>>45002474
No kidding. As much as I criticize them, I enjoy all of the games for what they are. I love the series and take the good and bad as they are and just have fun with em. FF8 is definitely a ton of fun but I didn't find it nearly as difficult as the others. Not that they are all that difficult, I just felt 8 was easier than ones i've played previously.
>>
>>45002457
How can you have such bad taste and still draw breath
>>
>>45002519
And that is why he is terrible.

He's not even a bad character, because he's just not a character after the first couple of hours. He might as well be faceless and voiceless for all the input to the main plot he has, but he still pipes up with his token generic bishie protagonist hopes and dreams every now and again to draw your attention away from other, far better characters and remind you that he still exists.

At least Penelo keeps her fucking mouth shut for the last 2/3rds of the game.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (212KB, 2000x1065px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
212KB, 2000x1065px
>>45002431
But he was so.... BORING. Every scene with him in it was him just being quietly evil and showing little to no emotion. For god's sake get the man a cup of coffee. The Judges were much more interesting characters because of their disagreements and power struggles. Should have just had a bunch of evil Judges.
>>
>>45002519
Remove Vaan and Penelo, and start the post-intro when Balthier and Fran appear at the palace. Absolutely nothing of value is lost.
>>
>>45002606
I'm all for this
>>
>>45002587
He's the FF version of Ishmael.

>>44999828
>FF8
>everyone but Rinoa has amnesia
Who is Irvine?

>FF13
>no ancient civilisation
What is Pulse?

>>45002098
>FFXII wasn't an ancient civilisation that left behind stuff.
What is Giruvegan?
>>
>>45002587
I'm not arguing in favor of him, it's just that everyone always pulls >>45002195 >>45002307.
They're ALL protagonists, except for Penelo, Vaan after halfway, and maybe Fran. Fran's just a plot device.

In fact,
Basch is the player that plays mercenaries or soldiers all the time that the GM is trying to get to do SOMETHING different.
Balthier is the RPer that still has some snowflake-y leanings, but isn't that good at writing backstory, so the GM tied it into the plot.
Fran is a skillmonkey, player misses sessions frequently.
Ashe's player is fairly new, wanted to be a princess. GM jumped on the story opportunity.
Vaan's player minmaxed a character. Actually wrote a few sentences of personality this time.
Penelo is either played by a pure powergamer, or the GM's girlfriend who got him to optimize the character but doesn't know how to play.
>>
>>45000070
I think it means having an airship to use.

I mean, it's wrong in that there's airships in 12, but you never get to use one.

Also, I never really noticed that the entire FF13 series had no like, fucked up pasts for the MCs. Vanille is the only one, but it's not exactly important to the plot like the chart is talking about and not exactly fitting either.
>>
>>45000470
5 wins for the best bad guy though.

The best thing to come out of FF in general is Gilgamesh. Design, personality, music, the fact that he's the same dude in every game

It's all perfect.
>>
>>45002764
Except in 9?
There's also a guy named Gilgamesh in the online games that isn't him.
>>
>>45002705
>What is Pulse?
Pulse didn't leave anything behind that gets used by the characters, which is what the chart is talking about.
>>
>>45002705
An old city that the Occuria used to live in.

The Occuria are still alive.
>>
>>45002786
If we're talking about 11, well, we're talking about the best one story wise, but yea, it's got a huge amount of deviation.

God, if any FF was suitable as a campaign setting, XI would be it. That game had fucktons of incredibly interesting lore, and some extremely interesting dynamics between the nations.

And the plot twist of Chains were legitimately interesting.
>>
>>45002799
Apart from, you know, 1/3 of the PCs, and the Dreadnought Hope gets to pilot.
>>
>>45002806
I thought Giruvegan was just ruled by the Occuria, and had other inhabitants as well.
>>
>>45002786
Oh, and Alleyway Jack in 9 is implied to be him, even if his design is different.
>>
>>45002821
Wait, Hope pilots a Dreadnought?

And the ancient civilization didn't leave Vanille and Fang behind. Sure, they were a part of it, but that's just due to their situation.
>>
>>45001372
Mein neger.

Someday I'll put in the effort to finish that FF6 After Kefka setting. Someday...
>>
>>45002876
In the Vile Peaks, before the battle with Odin.
>>
>>45002905
Huh, I don't remember that shit at all.

Still, it's not exactly an airship the party uses to get around, though that's just as likely because 13 never lets you wander around anywhere till the very end, and even then only a little bit.
>>
>For the 8-bit titles
>>
>>45002852
How is it implied to be the actual Gilgamesh?
>>
File: IGotThis.png (157KB, 404x366px) Image search: [Google]
IGotThis.png
157KB, 404x366px
>>45002815
That twist was excellent, and that might be my favorite DLC for any game, all time.

I was going through my closet and removing all my old PC tech this week. I found all of my FFXI boxes. I kept them. It had it's ups and downs, but it was a good six years for me.
>>
>>45002985
First off, it's always the same gilgamesh, no exceptions.

It's his name, he's got multiple arms, and he's looking for Excalibur or something related to it.

It's Gilgamesh.
>>
>>45002985
Same name, same goal, same concept.

Also, in Dissidia, Zindane thinks he's familiar(but missing his arms).
>>
>>45002996
I still miss my Beastmaster, to this day. I loved that fucking class so much, and it gave me some incredible stories.

I still remember the TPK we lured the rest of our linkshell into because they weren't BSTs.
>>
>>44999828
>FF3 has no characters
>all that wrong regarding FF5
Good heavens, I don't even want to continue reading this.
>>
>>45002844
Nah, they moved into the upper atmosphere and left Giruvegan behind.
>>
Tone-wise and setting-wise, I think Legend actually works pretty well for Final Fantasy-style games. It merges guns, melee, and magical technology together at its core.
>>
>>45003094
The first iteration of FF3 had no characters. He's technically right.
>>
>>45003384
Huh. Wasn't aware.
Still, SE seems to stand by the DS version, so I think we can accept that as the official.
>>
File: Flying Fortress.png (432KB, 531x513px) Image search: [Google]
Flying Fortress.png
432KB, 531x513px
>>>44999828 FF1
>Also also, there's an ancient civilization that left behind stuff.
>They left behind an airship.
In the original NES version, the Flying Fortress was purely technological space station.

>Is there a system for playing Final Fantasy-inspired games?
FF1 is very heavily inspired by AD&D, the end effect is essentially the same as what you're looking for.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/522595-final-fantasy/64259498
http://finalfantasy.istad.org/2013/01/final-fantasy-vs-dnd/
>>
File: Final_Fantasy_V_Box_JAP.jpg (93KB, 450x249px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_V_Box_JAP.jpg
93KB, 450x249px
>>45002327

Play 5.
Its not the best in the series but its the one with the most charm.
And for all of its silliness the story gets really interesting the longer ot goes on.
>>
>>45000416
Tactics is worth playing if you like the kind of stuff /tg/ does. There's a reason somebody shills for it in pretty much every thread where FF is mentioned. Just make sure you track down War of the Lions or the Playstation original, since FFT Advance and FFT A-2 are kind of shit in comparison.
>>
>>45003640
Still good games though.
>>
>>45003640
I'm replaying FF:TA now and I forgot how much of a grind it is. Grind those levels, grind those Ability Points, grind those clan items, grind until a mission you can do comes along that you haven't done a dozen times already...
>>
>>45003640
Tactics was a lot of fun, but for gods sake, play the updated version.

It has enough shitty traps as it is, without the old school dumbass allied AI.
>>
>>45003745
I vaguely remember the PSX Final Fantasy Tactics. I remember playing a mission where I had to protect some guy. I had to reset it several times because the asshole would go first, run up to the bad guys to poke them with a stick, then the bad guys would go next and one-shot him. I also remember having to save every space I moved on the map because there were invincible fucking chocobos that would one-shot all my dudes.

I wasn't fond of that game.
>>
>>45004540
That exact mission you're talking about fucked everyone up, yes.

It's amazing how retarded they made that dude and then decided you need to protect him.
>>
File: Fuck this, I'm out.gif (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck this, I'm out.gif
3MB, 300x169px
>>45001539
>FF d6 is totally playable if you house rule the majority of the system!
That hurt my brain, man. It's like every 3.x thread condensed into a single post.

It's a broken pile of shit. It's just shit that you could plant a tree on, instead of Returners, which is shit that kills grass in a mile radius.

Every edition of Returners, just... no. Oh god, no. No system should require manually checking eight different variables that can change from round to round just to find out what your damn accuracy roll needs to be!
>>
>>44999828
STIMULATION OF BODY-MOVING/LIKE-SENSE SINCE OF ELECTRICITY OF CAUSED OF IN OF BODY SINCE 1. tiny metals in human 2. metals moved since of energies striked/hitting metals 3. energies sent/from machine far of miles.
>>
>>45002741
>implying I can't be a powergamer and also invested in making a compelling story

anyway Ryuutama is a pretty good 'PSX RPG' game.
>>
>>45002745
But you do use the airship, you just can't fly over some world map, because there is none.
>>
>>45001372
I'm running a campaign right now using this system. It's probably the best of the Final Fantasy-themed systems out there, and it's also very dear to my heart since it was one of my first forays into tabletop gaming as a whole (I had played DnD before, but the first long-running campaign I played used this system).

The system itself is still absolutely terrible, though, I wouldn't recommend to anyone that isn't an autist that likes constantly doing math. Once this campaign is over I might end up doing a personal "revised" edition that cuts down on most of the pointless clutter.

We're still having fun in our campaign, though I don't think the system has much to do with it.
>>
>>45003513
If that were true we would have had Lunneth in Dissidia and not Onion Knight, who is a distinctly different character.
>>
>>44999828
Aside of all the stuff said before, FF8 party is definitely not a ragtag bunch of misfits. Barring Rinoa, they're all soldiers with a particular job they don't stop working for throughout the entire game, and pretty much identical past, only their personalites differ.
>>
File: aed7f3c22d[1].jpg (465KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aed7f3c22d[1].jpg
465KB, 1920x1080px
>>45002329
>Penelo too, but at least she had a nice butt

I thought the same until I started replaying it last week.
Our memories cannot be trusted, Anon.
>>
>>45001273
When I think of boring FFs 5 is the literal last one I think of. It never stops being fun.
>>
>>44999828
Despite what everyone else says, I really actually do like FF13-1 about halfway through.
>>
>>45002345
Overpower quickly?? you can have some of the damn ultimate weapons on the FIRST DISK.
>>
>>45000505
I don't like FF6 at all, honestly. It's the exact point where the series went from being reasonably engaging with just enough difficulty to keep the player hooked to being so easy that combat is no longer fun to play and is instead a mire of tedium and boredom because it requires no thought from the player at all.
>>
File: 664076.jpg (35KB, 300x251px) Image search: [Google]
664076.jpg
35KB, 300x251px
>>45006813
As is good and proper for games of its era.
>>
Anima.
>>
>>45004695
>No system should require manually checking eight different variables that can change from round to round just to find out what your damn accuracy roll needs to be!
Jesus Christ, you people sometimes. It isn't fucking hard to add and subtract.
>>
>>45006097
They might be soldiers, but they don't look or act like soldiers.
>>
I wonder if anything can emulate 5's job system.
>>
>>45007626
It is massively time consuming to check if Haste, Berserk, Blind, et all are still active, along with any of the other stat affecting abilities, every single round.

That shit works in a videogame because a computer can process that shit in a fraction of a second.
>>
It is so damn obvious that Vaan was a late addition to FFXII. They clearly ran out of time fixing the story as his plot involvement pretty much ends where you leave the initial city (the end of disc 1 I think.) I pretty much laughed when some NPC towards the end of the game says something akin to "hey it is the hero, Vaan, and his posse!" His involvement with the story had been pretty much zero.

Someone with better recollection of the game should comment, but I don't recall a single decision plot-wise (where to go, what to do) where he had any say. Vaan was largely a sidekick character to Ashe's story.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.