[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40kRPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 32

File: 1449276642240.png (162KB, 600x255px) Image search: [Google]
1449276642240.png
162KB, 600x255px
Psykers are OP Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
Shield of Humanity PDF
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

Enemies Without:
https://my.mixtape.moe/jbsyqt.pdf

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.5.1), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Remember, ask a specific question, we'll be happy to help. But if you're vague, we'll tell you to make your players fight necrons. Probably.
>>
>>44902861
If a basic class weapon with the accurate quality also has the twin-linked quality, does the extra shot also gain bonus damage dice from degrees of success?

For instance, if someone with a long-las with the twin-linked quality scored two degrees of success to hit a target, would it be

one 2d10+3 and one 1d10+3 hit
Or
two 2d10+3 hits
>>
First for no session this week
>>
>>44903112
accurate is only good for single shots
twin-linked for automatic fire
you're welcome
>>
>>44903216
Storm is automatic.
Twin-linked also affects single shots.
>>
>>44903112
In theory I guess it would as it's two-linked weapons that fire at the same time. Super cheesy though.

You may want to make it harder to acquire weapons - or create ones - that are both twin-linked and accurate, representing the additional time that goes into creating a linked pair of weapons that fire with pinpoint accuracy.
>>
>>44903380
sorry for misleading a fellow anon then. Twin-linked says "additional hit" for every two degrees of success, so I'd go for 2x2d10.
>>
I'm not sure if I'm just dense or my English is just rusty. But I can understand how psyker powers work on second edition.

Also I'm trying to figure out the scale of the game. It feels like a middle ground between RT and DH1, but something feels odd.
>>
>>44904004
It starts out a little above DH1, and then sorta oddly transitions to low-level Ascension.

What can't you understand about Psyker powers?
>>
>>44903494
Well, the only way I know of to get a weapon that is both twin-linked and accurate is to either use a twin-linked lascannon on a vehicle as a sharpshooter with versatile shooter or by rolling the dice on the space monkey weaponsmith tables in Enemies Without.
>>
File: 1453225261963.jpg (246KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1453225261963.jpg
246KB, 709x765px
tfw you want to play in a Deathwatch or Only War campaign but all your friends have graduated.
>>
>>44904025
To be fair how entire thing works. But mainly how pushing functions.

So if I have my players with small base of operation something along the lines of Einsenhorn house with housekeeper and such.

Would be too much?
>>
>>44904055
Wait, never mind, first one doesn't apply to weapons with the twin-linked quality. So only by space monkeys can it be done by RAW.
>>
>>44904095
We play OW and plan to move to DW and maybe something else, most of us work. What's the problem anon?
>>
>>44904109
If a psyker has a base psy rating of 3, that psyker normally makes focus tests at whatever difficulty the power is set at.

If the psyker chooses to go down to psy rating 1, the psyker gets a +20 to the test.

If the psyker pushes and chooses to go up to psy rating 5, the psyker gets a -20 to the test.
>>
>>44904151
All my irl friends have scattered to the corners of Virginia with wildly varying schedules. Haven't played a game since 2015 May graduation
My skype friends have also tried to get together rp groups and failed due to scheduling conflicts.
>>
>>44904109
So, casting a power. You determine what effective Psy Rating you want to cast the power at. If Johanna has a Psy Rating of 3, she could cast at a psy rating of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. That's 2 above her Psy Rating, or any number below. Casting below your psy rating is safer, you get a+10 to the focus test for each psy rating you cast at below your base rating. But the power will likely be weaker as a result. Pushing, say Johanna casts a power at Psy Rating 4 (1 above her rating), she casts at a -10. That's -10 per pushed psy rating. She will also invoke phenomena on any roll that isn't a double. So it's pretty much guaranteed. But, her spells will all benefit from that extra 1 from her pushed psy rating. She might be dealing 1d10+10 damage from Flame Breath instead of 1d10+8.

As for your other question, that'd be doable. There's a new stat called Influence that echoes Profit Factor and Infamy from RT and BC, and it's an abstraction of your influence as Inquisitorial Agents. You can spend and invest Influence to maintain things like estates and staff, though the book offers no strict rules to do so unfortunately.
>>
>>44904214
Oh, I see...any chance to get a new group together?
>>
>>44904275
The closest thing I've been able to find is a DnD group with my brother and his friends. But it's not the same.
On the bright side, I think, with my brothers help, we talked them into trying a Black Crusade game. It's not the system I want, and it's people who are totally new to the setting which makes the RPing questionable. But it's better than nothing.
>>
>>44904318
Out of all of them, I think BC might require some of the most knowledge of in-setting things.
>>
>>44904335
Not necessarily, you could just put them as cultists or mercs fighting the Imperium while working for chaos expecting business as usual because they're ignorant of the galaxy at large,, or something else. There are different ways to tackle it.
>>
>>44904025
>>44904145
According to the crafting rules, you can actually make a twin-linked, accurate weapon yourself;

"With the GM’s permission, any weapon, armour, explosive, or piece of tech can be created using this skill". (p.97 DH 2nd Ed.)

Not saying that it would be allowed - or even would be easy to make - but it is possible.
>>
>>44904055
JOKAERO
>>
>>44904335
We put it to a vote, I tried to steer them towards Only War and Deathwatch for that reason, but they were insistent on Black Crusade (They were given an extremely brief rundown of the setting and the systems) but apparently going to make me the only Apostle/leader of the party since I know the most about the setting (More than the GM really, but my brother knew I wanted to play and has a competent level of knowledge).
>>
>>44904378
By the emepror, how heretekacal. Although I think there was a dude in Lathe Worlds who had a twin-linked laspistol.
>>
>>44904335
>>44904376

I agree with the second anon, with Black Crusade you can go wild.
Just set it in a chaos realm far from the mainstays of the Imperium and go wild with the lore. All the characters need to do is read about the Gods they follow.

>>44904318

If it makes you feel better, I also transitioned a Pathfinder group into BC. It works wonders since tone wise BC is similar to a Chaotic or Lawful Evil D&D campaign. Let your imagination run wild and the players will feel like they never left Golarion.
>>
>>44904422
The old blurb with the dude fighting for chaos against space marines on their recruiting world comes to mind, that's an excellent way to start a BC campaign. Not every csm is a long war veteran or a renegade, not everyone fights for chaos because LOLFUCKTHEIMPERIUM. Sometimes they just don't know anything else.
>>
>>44904393
Oook
>>
>>44904487

We run in a custom made sector, but one of my players whole background is that he follows the voices in his head. He doesn't hate the Imperium. He doesn't want revenge for his warband. He just worships chaos cause he's schizophrenic.
>>
>>44904539
Custom sector hype. I made a massive bible on my custom sector and lost it all when I reformatted. I can only remember planet names and key figures right now, but beforehand every planet had at least one city fleshed out to a decent extent, noble families galore and local customs the PCs would never abide by. And history, so much history.
>>
>>44904891
That's a shame, I'd have been interested in seeing what you'd come up with.
>>
>>44904891

I love Calixsis and Askellion, to a lesser extent, but there's nothing better than making your own areas for maximum plot freedom.

>>44904935

I agree with this anon. Any planets stand out in particular in your mind? I could use some idea for a few planets I've yet to flesh out.
>>
>>44902861
I wouldn't say that all psykers are OP, more so just high XP Biomancers. Telepaths might also be up there, but it is a bit more iffy.
>>
>>44902861
First time GM here, which edition is easier to learn and teach? I'm leaning towards first.

Also, any general tips on GMing in general?
>>
>>44906438
Only War and DH2e are far easier.
>>
>>44906438
I prefer the Dark Heresy 2e, Only War, Black Crusade system.
>>
I'm really sad, /tg/. I was in an AMAZING rogue trader game but the GM decided he'd rather do a D&D 3.5 'you end up in the game' game instead and called it off mid-story. It was going so great. I was a Rogue Trader and got to give badass speeches after consistently rolling in the single digits on command rolls, my best friend was a Seneschal who did a fuckton of wetwork and black ops for me, and our arch-militant was...okay. I really loved getting to explore new worlds and mine them for everything profitable.

Tell me, is the game not structured around actually using your men or something? I acquired some mercenaries and guards early on and it seemed like the GM didn't know how to defeat us when I started bringing a ground team of guardsmen with me everywhere.
>>
>>44906438

DH2E
Rules are far more consistent and easy to learn.
>>
Hey? Im gonna be GMing dh2e for 2.5 of my buddies (the .5 is one guy who plans on spectating to see how things go before joining). Only one guy besides me has any real knowledge of the lore, and ill be running the adventure in the gm kit. Suggestions?
>>
>>44906868
Make them fight orks, heretics, and heretical orks.
>>
>>44906890
Funnily enough, the idea of chaos-tainted orks has intrigued me. Perhaps further down the line....
>>
Are we ever going to get a rogue trader 2e?
>>
>>44906438
Tips to GMing vary on the system, but as a general rule in everything, talk to your players and be modular when setting up plot and encounters.
>>
>>44907192
Nobody knows. There are mentions of it on the ffg forums but we have pretty much no idea.
>>
>>44906868

Might be a bit hard for starting PCs so don't worry about toning down the enemies if they're too strong

>>44907192

They should just release it as a supplement to DH2E
A rulebook with ship combat, astropaths, and navigators. All you really need.
>>
>tfw no NWN equivalent vydia of 40K RPG

I wonder how hard could dickslapping together an adventure module editor in Unity be?
>>
>>44907407
I'd like to see the Dark Eldar and Tau back.
>>
>>44907447

They should just make a Xenos bestiary with playable Xenos as well as making some Askellion-specific ones. That's one area of the fluff they kinda left out.

In other news Amazon is already sold out of Enemies Beyond after only one day of sale, so that speaks well of the line as a whole. Hopefully they keep it going.
>>
In DH 2e, if a Dire Avenger uses his bladestorm ability to give his shuriken catapult the spray quality, does that mean it he can shoot out up to 10 attacks with the spray quality in one attack? Does it require 1 or 10 agility tests to dodge?
>>
>>44910776

Spray weapons always get the agility test to not get hit. Then a dodge test if they do get hit.
So 1 agility, 1 dodge.
>>
So, I'm planning on running a Deathwatch game with Alpha Legion as one of the antagonists, and I want to have a mole within the Deathwatch.

Where I'm kind of struggling with is how to balance encounters with the Legion. The context of the campaign will involve stopping an Ork Waagh, with the Kill Team eventually discovering info that points to the Legion actually helping the Waagh, which is why it seems so dangerous. Now, I've got a pretty good idea of the first couple of missions and how to introduce the Legion into the game, but once they're there, I'm not quite sure what to do to have the Legion remain a threat, while the Orks continue to be a thing to be stopped.

Any ideas on that?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (53KB, 1280x532px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
53KB, 1280x532px
So I just watched the 4th pirates of the Caribbean film and god damn me if this guy isn't a PC rogue Trader.
This mother fucker undertakes a quest for some priceless artifact, marches in like he owns the place, and fucking just destroys it for being heretical.
>>
>>44914725
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnh-f2_eU3g

Seriously tell me this isn't a fucking RT right here.
>>
>>44914879
Id have played it a little bit differently, like "That's heretical. (*mumble* Buuuut... it does not appear to be actually part of the structure. I'm sure the seneschal has underworld contacts.) Men! Kill all these other people!"

But yeah he's totally RT.
>>
What are some examples of things the inquisition would be called in for that's underlying cause isn't actually heresy?

Things like squabbling noble houses sabotaging each other and by extension the tithe, a string of issues caused by a rogue trader being bad at business with imperium at large, etc.
>>
>>44915582
>that's underlying cause isn't actually heresy?
Trick question, everything is heresy.
>>
>>44906807
Some people forget about that stuff.

As a Navigator I obviously have house-sponsored bodyguards since I'm still a viable candidate for breeding and Heir Apparency and all that jazz.

Explorator should just have a fuckton of murder servitors he keeps tweaking aswell.

The idea is that the PCs are all about "leading from the front", but people forget that that still means there's dudes you're leading around. Hell, any ship combat action other than perhaps the Navi and the Astropath are just you ordering dudes to shoot, not shooting yourself.

Also it sounds like you should start a new RT game as GM or whatever, maybe try the Gamefinder thread when they're done talking about world economics.
>>
>>44915582
Well, sometimes the underlying cause is xenos or daemons :P.

Weird time-stuff like ships dropping out of warp before they leave attracts the attention of the Ordo Chronos.

Inquisitors can be as petty as anyone else. Maybe there is just someone the Inquisitor doesn't like and wants to arrest on trumped up charges?
>>
>>44905071
It's a rather overstuffed sector really. Very Eleventh-Hour stuff.

Currently the party are dicking about on Dothran, a Hive World with a severe religious fixation. Every district of the Hive have their own Saints, not literal Saints who can't die, just famous Ministorum figures. 112 days of the year, there's a mass celebration in the Hive as large processions and parades are formed. They tour all regions of the Hive with a formalised Saint for 12 hours. Currently the players are in the lower F stacks, where Saint Amelia is worshipped. The bottom end of the stacks were originally a reservoir of drinking water before it became tainted with pollutants fierce enough to strip a mans skin. None would drink from it, Saint Amelia strode into the water and allegedly took the taint into her own body.

I originally built Dothran to run Black Crusade on, underdog games with gutter runners and underworld dealings and so all of the saints had this hypocritical nature to them. I built a lot of the sector with the intent of it being usable for almost any line of the 40k RPG games. The Hardest one to accommodate was Rogue Trader as that functions better without an established setting I find. But there's an Arctic Ice-Ball of a planet that was only classified as a Pleasure World after a Rogue Trader landed there centuries ago, and was treated so "well" by its wicked inhabitants that he rang back to the Adepta and said "Pleasure World mate, send all the people you can!" Players haven't gone there yet. boo
>>
>>44915783
But there's also a Craftworld somewhere in there, and there's a chain of four worlds that are the fiefdom of an Astartes Chapter. They're also Necron Tomb Worlds, in the current campaign the worlds are slowly waking up and the players are so busy politicking with Inquisitors they've not done anything about it yet
>>
>>44914431
Not going to bash you for
>slpha legion is the bad guy in DW
>orks are just a tool for someone smarter

But after so many times both those points start to get dull here, still, it might be new to your players so go ahead, it is a twist after all. Now, since the whole "orks are tools" has happened for some time, the most obvious following step is having them be a diversion for something game changing the legion is doing. Might be anything really, from them activating a series of xeno tech pylons to recovering legion-era tech, or exploiting the sudden use of previously garrisoned forces as a stop gap for the orks to get near an imperial capital ship that was being recovered from a ship graveyard after a battle, or a lost titan. Or they simply will use the resulting chaos from an ork invasion to further infiltrate the imperial chain of command, either military or civilian.
>>
Does the imperium really call Chaos space marines "Chaos space marines"? Or are they called traitor legions or something else.
>>
>>44916137
Chaos Space Marines, Traitors, Traitor Astartes, Traitor Legions, whatever tickles your fancy.
>>
>>44916137
>fallen astarties
>Traitor legion
>Arch heretics
>The great Evil
>[classified}

esp seeing as the the average citizen dosent know about them
>>
>>44902861
R8 my overarching plot for OW

> Regiment is 'borrowed' by a cabal of different inquisitors
> send on suicide missions to weed out the weak
> Nick named project crucible
> Alpha legion operative contact the PC (dosent tell them who he is)
> tells them something big is going to happen
> tries to sway them to join him when the time comes, to help save the imperium
> he is deffintly a traitor

they are still at the just meeting the guy in their dreams stage.lots of cloak and dagger stuff.
>>
>>44916694
Well, what happens then?
>>
>>44916776
that will depend on if the players side with the opretive,or find him and purge him. if they go with the AL, then he will use them to conduct raids and what not on the imperium, all the wile telling them they are being good boys and girls.

otherwise, they get a shiny medal for routing out heresy, and possible even a promotion
>>
>>44916694

10/10 if you can get them to join them and transition into Black Crusade.
>>
>>44915582
>What are some examples of things the inquisition would be called in for that's underlying cause isn't actually heresy?
Someone fucked with his power-base? Although I think that qualifies as heresy
>>
>>44918526
errm. okay.Go away?
how is this thread-relivent?
>>
>>44915582

If you want to get real technical, as others have said, ANYTHING that interferes with the running of the Imperium on a grand scale constitutes heresy, not just underground cults and the like.

It sounds like a joke, but pretty much any adventure can be summarized as "heresy".
>>
>>44918608
It's a bot, dude, chill and report.
Thank him for the free bump, tho!
So, story time!
The warband's sister has been captured by Tzeentchian cultists, and while she put up a helluva fight, is now on her last legs.
Worse, the entire warband is separated, no one knows how badly off she is, and I am about to assault perhaps their compound in the company of a ded 'ard underhive gang trying to push the "weird invaders" out of their turf.
Emprah help me, people are gonna die. I'm gonna find the sister, mock her for her carelessness, free her, hand her my spare chainsword, then we will murder EVERYONE.
>>
Sup /tg/

So i have run into an issue crafting NPC's. I want to make a Seraphim in Dark Heresy 2ed, but they lack the jump pack. How would you guys go about approaching jump packs? Just steal from another setting?
>>
>>44918928

All the systems are pretty similar gameplay-wise, so just taking a jump pack would be easy as shit.
>>
>>44918928
Pretty much what >>44918941 said, make sure you give the Seraphim Operate (Personal) or whatever skill jump packs use, otherwise she'll just fly into a building.
>>
>>44918957
Well that's a given
>>44918941
Thanks, i'll need to do a little tweaking but i am sure i can figure it out.
>>
>>44902861
I need some advice.

So recently in this dark heresy campaign we are doing, this happened:

>Find space hulk
>Space hulk has ship, the "dream catcher"
>ok.jpg
>Start exploring ship
>Dead tyranids everywhere
>Find guardesmen and commisar in cryopods
>Lots and lots of cryopods
>ok.jpg
>Secret room reveals loads of cryopods filled with space wolves and alfa legionaires
>ok.jpg
>Enter into last room
>Big ass cryopod

GM: Roll Common lore: Imperium

>Succeds roll
>Its Leman mother fucking Russ

Oh but there is more.

>Psyker in the group has a vision
>Leman Russ is crying

Leman Russ: I have failed the emperor.... But I know he lives on in you, young one.

>Its a pregnant woman that he is referring to.
>There is a couple of other cryopods at the end of the room.
>Two custodes, Two wolves, and a pregnant woman.
>ok.jpg

So we wake up Leman and he orders us to escort the woman to a safe place until he calls us again. So basically, we are renegades of the inquisition and are now protecting the woman who will birth the star child.

We are about to make landing on a planet soon. What should be our next course of action, /tg/?
>>
>>44919290
I forgot to mention that my character had a vision earlier in the campaign about a child who will lead mankind to glory. That child was also on a space hulk, so we made the connection and realized that yes, this is the star child.
>>
>>44919290
You god damn Heretics
>>
>>44919290

>Leman Russ
>crying

Clearly this is some Alpha Legion bullshit to try and trick y'all into escorting a daemon. Kill "Leman Russ" and his pregnant daemonette.
>>
File: Did someone say heresy.gif (3MB, 430x242px) Image search: [Google]
Did someone say heresy.gif
3MB, 430x242px
>>44919290
>>44919345
I know right? LOL look at this faggot. Thinking he can save the imperium and being rational rather than autistic.

That was me making fun of myself
>>
>>44919290
Wake them up and let them do their job because the seem to be equipped for this whole deal,unlike you.Take into account that this whole thing may be a ruse - visions aresent by Tzeentch, all of the things you saw on the shipis an illusion, the pregnant woman is a chaos witch in disguise.

Also, punch your GM for making up such a shitty story. I'm not going to comment on how tasteless this fix-upstory is, but

>Leman Russ is crying

Thisalone shows that your GM has zero feeling and understanding of the setting.So yeah,

>Kill "Leman Russ" and his pregnant daemonette.
>>
>>44919376
If anything, he's being autistic while thinking he's being rational.
>>
>>44919369
The psyker did some rolls. They checked out. I would have killed them, but then again alot of stuff from before added up to this.
>>
>>44919445
Which means that the ruse started long time ago.

>kill'emJohny.jpg
>>
>>44919417
>Also, punch your GM for making up such a shitty story.

I would, but we speak through skype. As soon as the campaign ends, im cutting ties with that group.

>This alone shows that your GM has zero feeling and understanding of the setting.

He is new to GMing Warhammer RPG's, so he would make some mistakes along the way. Still, I will be leaving the group after this campaign ends.
>>
>>44919290
This is literally fanfiction tier
>>
>>44919481
>>44919497

>kill'emJohny.jpg

Not yet. When the time is right.

>This is literally fanfiction tier

You dont say.
>>
File: 1453095135610.jpg (135KB, 680x759px) Image search: [Google]
1453095135610.jpg
135KB, 680x759px
>>44919290
>Leman Russ Crying
>Leman Russ
>Crying

You triggered my autism.
>>
>>44916103
Actually, the trick to the whole campaign is that the Legion are in fact attempting to stop the Orks, and the big dilemma comes into either stopping the Orks(and hoping whatever the Legion has planned isn't worse) or sabotaging the war effort themselves(Hoping that whatever the Legion has planned was worse). There is no man behind the man for this one, it's just going to turn out that the biggest Warboss is clever as hell and the Imperium is totally unprepared for him.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (148KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
148KB, 1920x1080px
Ok, my rogue trader group has 4 Rank6 characters and in their crew they have 100 power armored crew members that they often call down during "heated situations"
Currently I have the characters and their 100 powerarmored junkies surrounded by 1000 or so of robot human hybrids (Pic semi related but more grimdark)

What magnitude should I use for the robots? Assuming that I'm using horde rules.
>>
>>44920242
You mean servitors?
>>
>>44920242
I would say that but, they have no human flesh on them.
>>
>>44920276
>>44920327
I done goofed, but yes they're kinda like servitors. Only with fuk huge dodge bonuses.
>>
>>44902861
Wrong Shield of Humanity link, OP.
https://mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM
>>
File: UM_Deathwatch_Kill-Marine.jpg (67KB, 906x704px) Image search: [Google]
UM_Deathwatch_Kill-Marine.jpg
67KB, 906x704px
Has your Rogue Trader bitten off more Xenos than he can chew? Perhaps your Inquisitorial cell tripped the wrong wire and fell into a trap they can't extricate themselves out of? Hire a Kill-Marine and see your troubles fade away before the murderous staccato of the Holy Bolter! Be inspired by impossible war stories from a man who's been there and seen that which the galaxy's gall bladder produces to heap untold tragedy unto Mankind!

Accepted payment methods: plasma weaponry, special ammo, purity seals, critical information about the movements of Xenos and Heretic forces.

Further terms and conditions: Am content to become a background character for a single session and/or get stupid and unfair encounters thrown at me while the party bails, I just want to play a Kill Marine once before I abandon 40K RPG for good. Would love to become a /40krpgg/ game character and thus simulate flying around the galaxy, but that's a big if.
>>
I've got my first Dark Heresy session Sunday. Instead of using the normal rules system, however, I'm using a gumshoe conversion.

straight up investigation campaign. i'm hybridizing/combing a lot of the DH1 adventures for ideas in general but I'm trying to pull together some good improvising resources. specifically NPC names, random items, litanies of the emperor. i've got the clue generator from the FFG website but I'm curious if people have other resources.
>>
>>44921841
You really seem desperate, Killmarine-san. So desperate you forgot to add contact dataso that potential employers could contact you. Not to get your hopes up, I'm not one, just noticing here.

Also,

>before I abandon 40K RPG for good

Why?
>>
>>44922669
>>
>>44904414
That's something I never understood. If deviating from the STC design is heresy, then what about all the unique artisan-made gear all over the place?
>>
>>44922727
>forgot to add contact info

That is how desperate I am, citizen. I'm basically firing blind, as I have been for quite some time.

>why [are you leaving for good]?

Hard time finding groups that don't stray too far into the "fun" side of 40K. I don't mind "fun", until it becomes the be-all end-all of the game. Being a pretty lackluster, uninspired, lazy, demotivated GM myself, I don't trust myself to run my idea of a good game based on my history of player defection. I'll trying to find a job before I'm 30 and only have 1 year left. I like spehss mehreens, but not many people like spehss mehreens, so it's hard to do the Emperor's circlejerk of mehreendom. Not to say I can't play something else, I can and have; but my groups generally tend to poof in smoke. Proliferation of voice games when I have a monotone voice I hate, and my family would be bothered if I was hamming it up in mehreenspeak at 3AM.

In short, it's becoming a medium I'm not deriving enjoyment from and have considered leaving altogether on several occasions.
>>
>>44922727
Oh yeah, to be completely true, I did not forget the contact data. I merely found the tech heresy that is removal of the email field offputting.
>>
>>44925037
Customization, and even unusual combinations of existing STCs are generally not seen as heretical.
It's only when you invent an entirely NEW thing that you're crossing a line, and even the AdMech has done that in the past when the shit really hit the fan.
>>
>>44925097

As always, /tg/ proves it hates fun.
>>
>>44925037
Dicking into warp and AI is heresy.

Hell the adeptus has an entire organization that pretty much turns Xeno tech into "New STC or STC approved modification kits"

In other words as long you are not fucking with the original STC you can pretty much bullshit everything.

The Imperium in general is not against progress, but when your progress can awake ancient metal rape aliens, rape reality bringing rape demons, or turn something into a beacon to rape alien monster rape crap.

You must be very very careful into what you make.

Also artesian means it was hand made by some super cool dude or costume made for some super cool/rich dude.
>>
File: Asmodai.jpg (461KB, 584x788px) Image search: [Google]
Asmodai.jpg
461KB, 584x788px
>>44925466
The subjective concept of fun varies between individuals, citizen.
>>
File: 1445869106154.jpg (479KB, 1250x1126px) Image search: [Google]
1445869106154.jpg
479KB, 1250x1126px
Yo, where can I find the Ork Boy statline for Freebooters?

I've got the Gretchin, Squigs and whatnot on hand, even the Ork Weirdboy Minderz but the rest seem to be lost.
>>
>>44926997
The Koronus Bestiary should have what you need.
>>
File: 1410568546964.jpg (163KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1410568546964.jpg
163KB, 900x900px
>>44927059
Thank you, kind sir.
>>
Tactical bump. Converse in the name of the Emperor.
>>
What sort of trinkets does your character carry around?
>>
>>44930035

Trinkets? As in useless objects?
I rolled a xeno's tooth in DH2E so I worked it in as my chaplain turned acolyte's grim reminder of the time half his unit was cut down by some angry ass orks.
>>
How would you handle upgrading vehicles in DH2e using stuff from Shield of Humanity? Use the difficulty of the upgrade as the equivalent rarity?
>>
>>44904214
W-what part of Virginia are you in?
>>
>>44931730
Don't ork teeth/teef rot and decay within a few months of leaving the mouth? To prevent toof inflation and whatnot? So unless he got it laminated or a mold made or whatever, that toof should be long gone.
>>
>>44930035
his unit's commissar's coat
killed him, then took the uniform and impersonated the commissar to have some chance of not just dying like a schmuck, evidently it worked, as he's now the bodyguard of a rogue trader
>>
File: 1438982810232.png (155KB, 680x780px) Image search: [Google]
1438982810232.png
155KB, 680x780px
>>44930035
I had my players each choose three trinkets that their BC characters would have, then had the other three players write the lore for those trinkets. Kinda a history building / RP exercise and I think it worked out well. /tg/ want some story time courtesy of my players?
>>
>>44933845
Do you even need to ask?
>>
File: 1421225001362.jpg (284KB, 558x1107px) Image search: [Google]
1421225001362.jpg
284KB, 558x1107px
>>44934010
Alright each of them are fairly lengthy so I'll post some of my favorites. This comes from the aspiring warpsmith and was written by the parties nurgle aligned forsaken.

>Etched Rune Armor (only descriptor given by the warpsmith's player)

Runes of a thousand dead languages grace the armor of Jarulek. It’s cryptic meanings known to none, and only faintly understood by Jarulek himself. He obsesses over his armor. Cleaned, tuned, upgraded and shined constantly. Many of his peers jest that he does work fit for slaves, but it’s clear to all that his armor is of a quality known only to the likes of himself, and Astartes royalty. Deep into the night as he perfects his second skin a madness takes over him. Wide eyed, and frantically quick he tightens, adjusts and repairs his armor. In the midst of this ritual he loses himself. His mouth hangs slack like an idiots might, but an other worldly voice whispers from his maw. Jaruleks hands move to etch the words into his armor. They glow faintly as the words that aren’t his come from his mouth. A faint memory of etching the runes is with him the day after. Whether the runes are for protection, glory, or insight, they are a blessing from a Dark God.
>>
File: 1435080659050.jpg (73KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1435080659050.jpg
73KB, 720x720px
>>44934010
>>44934113

And here is what the warpsmith wrote for the forsaken

>Power Sword Hilt

“A thousand bloody light years, a million corpses, and you think your false god can still save you!?!?”, screamed Targus drenched in gore. He charged the lone Ultramarine squad leader. Weeks of wading through IG and Ultramarines, Targus wanted nothing more than to kill this loyalist scum and be on his way from this primitive planet. The Ultramarine whispered a quiet prayer to his dead Emperor, and readied himself, his power sword humming hungrily. A feint, a dodge, a glancing blow. They’re fight, was a dance both dodging, twisting and turning. Targus wary of letting his chainsword be destroyed by the powerfield. A crowd of his fellow chaos marines grew around him. None interfered, this was his challenge. This was his kill. Another dodge, a feint, then the loyalist was inside Targus’ reach. The Ultramarine screamed driving his sword up towards Targus’ chest. A twist of his body, the feint within the feint, and the sick crack of ceramite as Targus drove his head into the Ultramarines face silencing his victory cry. The loyalist fell back spread eagle. Dazed all he could do was lift his sword to ward off Targus’ death blow.Targus stood over his kill and with two hands brought his chainsword down upon him. One blow and the chainsword whined a against the powersword. A second strike and the power field crackled, trying to eat away its attacker. A third blow and there was a ear popping shriek followed by the sound of chainsword eating flesh. The powersword lay shattered as its bearer was cleaved by Targus. The face of the Ultramarine right as his powersword broke, still brings joy to Targus this day. He stares down at the hilt dangling from his neck and remembers how he not only took the loyalist marines life, but also his faith.
>>
File: 1421446418848.jpg (18KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
1421446418848.jpg
18KB, 240x210px
>>44934113
>>44934148

Just realized they both used a thousand to make it sound grim derp, stupid nerds, love that they put this effort in.

Here's probably the silliest of the bunch. When listing his three trinkets he ended it with, "Just tell me why I don't have eyelids."

>No Eyelids

Dinulshar raged and thrashed against the chains that bound him. The laughter of his captors echoing in his head. "You should be grateful", his captor said. "Once I remove your skin you will see much more clearly and will feel so much cooler. And when I have finished with you, you shall serve a much greater purpose." Dinulshar's skin was striped from him while the Dark Eldar immersed themselves in sexual pleasure on top of him. Stripping his skin from him as they performed their ritual to slake the thirst of Slaanesh.
Dinulshar awoke whole but missing his eyelids, taken from him so that he would not able to forget
the things that had been performed to him and upon him.
>>
>>44934246
>Dinulshar's skin was striped from him while the Dark Eldar immersed themselves in sexual pleasure on top of him. Stripping his skin from him as they performed their ritual to slake the thirst of Slaanesh.
thats incredibly edgy and magical-realmy, not to mention doesnt make sense
>>
>>44934276
Yeah they like to make fun of how brutal the setting can be at times. The player that wrote it doesn't magical realm, but I think he was just taking the DE completely over the top. Not sure he completely understands the DE lore either, but hey I'm not gonna knock him for trying.
>>
In an average DH 2e fight, are weapons or armor more important to have?
>>
>>44934276
>edgy
This meme needs to die. Forget the word exists, anon. This is BC, not candyland DnD. If you can't handle mature themes, go back yo mlp. Imagine what, DE can and do have depraved sex on the corpse of their tormented slaves as their souls are slowly drained away from their body.

>>44935388
I'd say brains, but honestly it depends how combat heavy your campaign is. If you're playing cloak and dagger type of game, you'll probably be wearing civilian clothes so silenced weapons in concealed holsters and a compact upgrade is the way to go.
Also, with armour monger talent you can have your regular bodyglove have AP comparable to carapace so there goes
>>
>>44935388
>are weapons or armor more important to have?
Depends on the style of fighting. are you reckless or cautious?
I find good team work and synergy to be most important in a fight. Is your team heavily close combat oriented? You might want to practice stealth, the ability to strike first and incapacitate your opponents to help your friends reach them more safely, stun grenades are pretty good for that.
Would the ability to do damage or tank damage benefit your team as a whole? And what sort of damage? The ability to punch through T-shirts or heavy armour?
>>
Does anyone have some character portraits for 40k humans that aren't huge and armed to the teeth?
Especially looking for administratum, nobility, priests and navigators etc ...
>>
>>44936500
I do
>>
>>44905785
>I wouldn't say that all psykers are OP, more so just high XP Biomancers. Telepaths might also be up there, but it is a bit more iffy.
Enemies within and the high experience cost of becoming a worthwhile psyker counteract some of the brokenness of psykers. A psyker with PR 1 or 2 isn't noteworthy, neither is a psyker with willpower 40 or less. Really, it's very, very late-game that a psyker becomes good at which point the gear/talents should be broken for the other players too.
>>
>>44907407
>They should just release it as a supplement to DH2E
>A rulebook with ship combat, astropaths, and navigators. All you really need.
Enemies without is starting down this path. They're adding ship combat in that, and they've got a pilot role and a navy background. The only thing its missing is depth.
>>
Survival bump
>>
>>44938933
Where did they say Ship Combat was coming in? I don't remember that in the blog post?
>>
>>44941081
pdf in OP in the new vehicles section has some rules. Not very deep, but they're a start
>>
>>44938933
>>44941391
>They're adding ship combat
Air combat. Not ship combat. Ship combat is an entirely different thing on an entirely different scale.
>>
File: Techpriest.png (167KB, 470x478px) Image search: [Google]
Techpriest.png
167KB, 470x478px
I'm going to be playing my first game of Only War, but I'm woefully unfamiliar with how to build a character.

I've decided I want to play a Tech Priest, though. Can a Tech Priest splash some Medicae skills to help be party support? We don't have a dedicated medic on the team and I'm wondering if I can juggle my duties with keeping the machines up and running as well as the soldiers. We may be creating a regiment that's heavy on the augmentics, so it doesn't seem to be that out of character.
>>
>>44942721
There's nothing mechanically forbidding you from taking Medicae, so... Go Magos Biologis on those meatbags.
>>
File: 1440345648808.jpg (438KB, 564x818px) Image search: [Google]
1440345648808.jpg
438KB, 564x818px
Has anyone applied monetary values to all the new stuff added or modified in Dark Heresy 2nd edition? If so are the costs posted anywhere? Second edition seems easier for my group to learn but fuck dealing with the shitty requisition system.
>>
>>44942721
If you even moderately focus on medicae you can be better than a medic because you also get a bonus from a mechadendrite
>>
File: Happy TechPriest.png (210KB, 480x502px) Image search: [Google]
Happy TechPriest.png
210KB, 480x502px
>>44942792
>>44942748

Sweet, so I can fix machines and people. This is good to know.

I'll be sure to pick up some starting mechadendrites for both tasks, though I may have to skip on the laser eyes.
>>
>>44942781
Or alternatively is there a way to make the requisition system not shit?
>>
>>44945262
>>44941060
>>44941058
stop bumping dying thread, nigs. If it slides it means cooldown is needed before creating another one, like jesus fuck why are you such cancer.
If you need to bump, just post an image, share story or ask a question rather than posting this shit
>>
Any else get Enemies Beyond? My copy doesn't come in until next Wednesday...
>>
>>44947188
I dont think anyone has gotten it yet, friends who are planning on getting it said theirs was still shipping as well.
>>
>>44947188
After the way enemies without was I am going to wait to see a PDF before even thinking about buying a physical copy
>>
>>44947766
That's a pretty good precautionary measure with most FFG RPGs, but especially their 40K stuff. Their quality control is atrocious.
>>
>>44947766
I can't blame you there, i am hoping to a scan of the important bits so i can add them to my current game, but i really want the PDF, so much more simple than a physical book.
>>
>>44946782
>being this much of a faggot
>>
>>44949129
Don't give him attention
>>
>>44919485
Just... Ew. Why wouldn't he start small instead of launching into a massive fucking plotline that wipes its ass with the canon?
>>
>>44930035
I rolled twice.
One is a necklace of ears. Lotsa ears, human, xeno alike. I still add to it.
The other is a beat up medal I got for taking a shot for my captain. He was a good guy, regret murdering him.
>>
>>44950239

New people need to show that they "know better."
>>
>>44930035
A regicide set.

Never got to play it yet, plot events leave little opportunity for a downtime.
>>
So if you fail to modify a melee weapon in 2e, what happens? Rules say it gains Unreliable, or loses Reliable if it had it.
>>
>>44951565
Gains the primitive quality?
>>
So, how is the base system for determining Requisition for Kill team missions in Deathwatch?
>>
Rules question for Rogue Trader, as I'm slowly trying to learn the system: is there any way for the players to improve the general competence of their crew once the ship has been purchased (whether through their initial Ship Points or as an Aquisition)?
>>
>>44902861

In OW, how the hell do i requisition vehicles?
>>
>>44951565
i would say reduce its quality by 1 step
>>
>>44955488
The core book includes guidelines for setting up the total requisition points available, taking into account the expected difficulty and number of objectives for the mission. Each marine can then use that value to gear himself up, and pool together some or all of each's requisition to get another item.
>>
>>44906868
I ran that GM kit adventure for 3 guys, with starting stats 25 +2d10.
Even then, some of the combats are pretty tough so you may want to tone them down.
The last fight in particular is absurdly difficult for new characters.
>>
>>44919290
Sounds like heretic lies to me, anon.
Do the emperor's work and kill them.
>>
>>44957082
you don't. You only get one poor quality las carbine to share between 3 of you because muh grittiness.
>>
>>44958536
You're a funny lad, this is Only War not DH1.

They don't even give availabilities to vehcles, i just want a sentinel :(
>>
>>44958566
I thought the Operator not-class got one for free?
>>
>>44958588
They do, but we are playing as a mechanised squad, and the GM has implied me would be okay with sentinel support, so now my heavy gunner wants to heavy gun on the move. I was just trying to work out how likely i would be able to get one
>>
>>44958661
*Implied he would be okay
>>
>>44958191
Yea, i thought the daemon at the end seemed ridiculous. Could i hypothetically get by with minor fixes like dropping the enemies a few wounds, reskinning thugs as cultists, not casting nurgle's rot, etc?
>>
File: Tonka Model.jpg (137KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Tonka Model.jpg
137KB, 1600x1200px
>>44958661

Normally you have to both work with your GM and select the appropriate regiment type. For example, to get a Sentinel for every player, you would have to make a Heavy Recon Regiment (HotE). If you want a Shadowsword,it's a two-step process. First, you make a Superheavy Regiment (SoH), then you discuss with your GM to swap the Baneblade it comes with for the Shadowsword.

Alternatively, you would need to speak with your GM and have them temporarily issue you said vehicles for the duration of the mission.
>>
>Get invited to a RT game
>Using rues for RT
>GM thinks RT rules are actually balanced

Pretty sure I should drop this since I've seen tech-priests suplex Greater Demons using base RT rules.
>>
>>44959141
>talk with your GM about it

That's a given, isn't it?
>>
>>44959260
>GM runs a game using said game's rules
>that means he sucks

Please do bail out, for the sake of the group's sanity and enjoyment.
>>
>>44959320
>Not knowing the terror that is RT's balance

Rogue trader is hilariously not balanced. You can easily capture Imperial Battleships with the right ship equipment at chargen. You can get your Fellowships so high that you could convince Khorne to join the Imperium and Slaanesh to be celibate, and Nurgle to give up hugs. Got an Ork in your party, with just a few thousand XP you can turn him into a literal unkillable wall of meet and flesh that only the Dark Elder have a possibility of hurting.

Better yet, if the party falls into the ocean, there's a 80% chance they will all drown since most of them don't know how to fucking swim until rank 6+. So fuck the Necrons, just have them fight the ocean!
>>
>>44943181
Depends on why you think it's shit, anon.
>>
File: Xerxes Lashes the Sea.jpg (80KB, 440x679px) Image search: [Google]
Xerxes Lashes the Sea.jpg
80KB, 440x679px
>>44959403

But what if jetpack
>>
It's happening. The GM is using the Necrons.

Send Help.
>>
>>44959729
If your game is OW/DH, I'll pray for you.
>>
>>44959761
We're on an abandoned space station. The only docked ship has a broken warp drive. There are approximately 3 Necrons for every imperial. This is just the first wave of Necrons. We do not know what the Necrons want. If they get it things will probably get worse.

I am seriously considering attempting to self destruct everything.
>>
>>44959497
It has no clear indication of how often one is allowed to make the tests, how many they can make, and shit happens like one person having no ammo for any of their guns because bad rolls while someone else has comb--bolters and carapace armor
>>
>>44959861
Ludus Finitus Homine, Ludus Finitus
>>
>>44958689
Go for it
I ended up not using the demon at all, the cult leader alone was a terrifying enemy to fight.
>>
>>44959862
>It has no clear indication of how often one is allowed to make the tests,
Gm decides depending on circumstances and time.
>how many they can make,
See above.
>shit happens like one person having no ammo for any of their guns because bad rolls while someone else has comb--bolters and carapace armor
What are things that don't actually happen outside the most outrageous theorycrafting for 100. Even then, if your warband isn't supporting each other, then they are idiots who deserve to have someone grossly stick out like that.
A lot of the req system comes down to the gm arbitrating when, how, where, if. If you don't like games where the GM has the last word, compared to a rule in a book you can lord over him, that is your problem.
I have never had a problem with the req system, but I've also asked, hey, what kinda market is around here? Black market? Oh, you need me to do some digging, grease some palms? Now it's turning into roleplay, compared to throwing your dice and screaming you get stuff because the dice say so.
>>
>>44959978
In that case how many requisition tests would you be allowed in that black market scenario? Would there be restrictions on how many times you could attempt a test for the same or similar things? I am just asking for a way to handle the tests that makes things balanced and not giving the warband too much stuff but still allowing for growth
>>
>>44960381
>In that case how many requisition tests would you be allowed in that black market scenario? Would there be restrictions on how many times you could attempt a test for the same or similar things?
The GM should be determining these things based on the circumstances of the warband and the contacts they are trying to use.
Were I a player with some sense, I would not hit up a black market contact more than a few times total. That kind of shit draws attention of the bad sort, leading not only to a loss of Subtlety, but attention from official figures.
>I am just asking for a way to handle the tests that makes things balanced and not giving the warband too much stuff but still allowing for growth
My Inquisitor gave us a "official guy" to hit up, but warned us not to abuse it. It is really based on circumstances; some shit isn't gonna be had by certain people, or even available in the area, while other things will be very easy to find, based on the world, the people, the trade, all the stuff that is a part of the details in YOUR head.
>>
>>44960575
Thios basically also means that the players shouldn't pray to the Emperor, roll the dice and have shit fall into their lap.
When they roll, they need to be dealing with someone.
The stuff they want, unless it's right in front of them, takes time to ship.
Whatever is rare and worse strips Subtlety per item, and bulk shipments also strip Subtlety.
>>
>>44920242
Depends on what you consider their combat effectiveness. Magnitude is a deliberately vague system, for example ten Grots, 3 Fire Warriors and 6 Imperial Guard might all be represented by around 10 Magnitude, depending on how your DM is feeling.

Personally, if those robots are significantly better fighters than a standard human, I'd split them up into 4 or so Magnitude 40-50 hordes, with maybe a couple Hordes in reserve. A thousand robots would be a significant threat to even a unit of Deathwatch.
In my games, I usually let allied hordes (like the armored hundred) to "cancel" enemy hordes. They are assumed to occupy 1-3 enemy hordes during the fight, depending on their own size and skill level. At the end, or various critical moments in the battle, the protagonists make an opposed command check: success means the allies drive off their enemies with minimal casualties, a couple degrees means the enemy is destroyed/captured, and critical means beyond the call of duty. Failure means they are significantly damaged but manage to drive the enemy away, a significant failure means they take severe damage and retreat, and a critical failure means they are utterly destroyed.
>>
File: Lando Winning Smile.jpg (8KB, 183x169px) Image search: [Google]
Lando Winning Smile.jpg
8KB, 183x169px
>>44961053

Some of my players, former and current, still get the occasional shitfit when I say "One guy = one magnitude." It's funny as fuck.
>>
In BC, is sustaining a power considered using it? I kind of want to play a frenzying psyker.
>>
>>44964569
Probably considering there is a psychic power that frenzies the psyker and allows the psyker to use powers while frenzied.
>>
>>44956840
yes
>>
>>44964677
What powers would those be?
>>
>>44957236
Yea, I'm asking how effective it is. It's kind of abstracted, so I'm trying to figure out what good req numbers are.
>>
>>44964725
Hatestorm in core under unaligned powers.
>>
>>44964751
Just give them the req suggested by the book and see how they do. Most of the really strong stuff is behind a renown limit at the start anyway. In general I prefer to run them lean to force decisions between support items and weapons but to each their own.
>>
>>44966506
Ok, last thing. I'm writing my first mission, and it involves them having to rescue a captured Deathwatch marine from some Orks. The local Warboss has stolen his Boltgun, and I was considering it a Tet objective to recover it, something the marine will ask them to do. Is that too trivial of an objective, you think?

Sorry for all the silly questions, just trying to figure the system out.
>>
>>44966758
Make it a relic Boltgun and it's immediately not trivial.
>>
While setting a DH party against a chaos marine is nearly a guaranteed TPK, which chaos marine type would TPK them the most and which one the least? Stuff like berserkers and noise marines.
>>
>>44966758
lore indicates boltguns are gene-coded, but then again you can have mekboyz to fix that.
Boltgun is of lesser concern - slight of honour is. Perhaps you'll be asked to take out the Warboss for the insult of capture and avenging the fallen Kill-Team - against overwhelming odds.
>>
>>44967991
I've had players kill Marines or MEQ before. My players learned very, very quickly that the best way to handle MEQ was overwhelming firepower. Meltaguns, krak missiles, plasma guns, and once, lascannons. That said, if you want maximum DEAD, throw in a Chaos Terminator Plague Marine armed with an autocannon and a chainfist. With 40ish Wounds, Armor 12 and a TB in the 12-15 range, he'll be able to walk off a couple of lascannon hits before fiy dying.
>>
>>44968731
*finally dying
>>
>>44968228
Oh no, killing the warboss is also a tet objective, but he doesn't actually have the weapon on him during the fight. He's got it stowed away somewhere.

And yea, the extraction involves a limitless horde of Orks, which they have to fight off until extraction arrives. Getting the boltgun would be a little extra pain in the ass for that.

And yea, maybe I make it a Relic. It's already going to be a Stalker Pattern, maybe I just make it worth that much more, but not so much that it's more of a main objective to recover.
>>
>>44968731
Isn't terminator armor 14 everywhere?
>>
>>44960575
>>44959978
hnnng, anon desu, you've made me frothy. 40k RPGs need more players like you.
Also,
>>44943181
I tend to run a hybrid model for my dh2e games. Acolytes can collect local currency (from encounters or as quest rewards), and I arbitrarily assign values to guns and hardware depending on the power curve of the game to that point, and whether or not I think the party needs any balancing. They then RP finding a store and buying shit.

Players are also free to make whatever tests they want for the requisition system whenever they want. If I remember correctly, there's a number of tables indicating availability and times it would take to make the tests, with corresponding difficulty modifier. I haven't actually used it in forever, because as anon-kun says, it all comes back to the GM.

The limits on rolling on the tables ultimately comes down to time. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't run campaigns with weeks or months of downtime available mid-investigation.That would be retarded, unless it's very deliberate, and it makes sense given the development of my plotlines. I usually send my acolytes somewhere with just enough time to figure out the heresy, plus a few days leeway for recovering from injuries. Running any more than that encourages player fuckery and kill the grimdark
>>
is it alright to be consider another player a master or lord in black crusade? like i get many people want to be independent, but is it common to follow another more powerful character like a human following a CSM?
>>
>>44972209
Sure?
>>
>>44972209
If the other players want to. Usually there's far more sperging god complexing "leaders" than there are people who want to follow though. There's nothing wrong with it ruleswise, it's just that no groups ever want to do it.
>>
File: techpriest hood.jpg (28KB, 480x502px) Image search: [Google]
techpriest hood.jpg
28KB, 480x502px
>>44968731

My players pissed off the Admech REAL bad. They uploaded a murder cogitator program (like a computer virus) into a Forge World's cogitator banks, which spread to its noosphere and created awful havoc. They figured, "We don't know what data is corrupted, better destroy it all. The God Emperor will provide and protect." They were supposed to target specific data, but they erased near EVERYTHING, in their words, "just to be sure." This, naturally, infuriated the Magos in system.

They then encountered a techpriest and an attendant Castellax, sent to find and punish them. One player died. They killed the techpriest, thinking it would turn the robot off. This made the problem worse, and two more players died.

The two left alive only barely managed to escape the rampaging battle automata in the end. And they learned a valuable lesson about upsetting the Martian Priesthood.

You REALLY want to teach the players direct combat is not always an option? Throw them against imperial robots.
>>
>>44974752
Wouldn't the magos mobilize the skitarii for that shit?
>>
>>44974896

For when the problem is an entire army? Yes.

When the source was an acolyte cell of 5? You can't call up an army like that without the Inquisition wondering why the forces were being mobilized. There needed to be a smaller but deadlier response.
>>
>>44975049
Considering they erased almost everything in the cogitator banks on a forgeworld, I'm sure it is a justified response.
>>
>>44975687

I don't know. If a bunch of retards really did delete the cogitators of my forge world, as >>44974752 said, I wouldn't send augmented humans, no. I'd send something I KNOW would get the job done. Skitarii have human weaknesses. Imperial Robots are the Omnissiah manifest.
>>
>>44975957
Wouldn't skitarii include the cybernetica?
>>
>>44976040

The Legio Cybernetica and the Skitarius are two separate institutions. While they work together, they are not united.
>>
>>44974752
Jesus, this sounds like something out of actual 40k fluff. It'll later turn out that the forge world discovered data on some incredible technology, just before your party fucked it.
>>
Would it get a bit much into GMPC territory to stat significant NPCs (like a chaos space marine in charge of a force on a planet or an inquisitor) using the appropriate system like a PC with extra exp and stuff or would it be better to just throw the stats together?
>>
>>44957082
You don't. Soldiers don't ask for vehicles, they get assigned to them when a commanding officer feels it's necessary for a mission. In Only War your characters aren't really meant to have the autonomy that you get in the other rpg lines, there's generally an omnipresent chain of command that sometimes giveth and sometimes taketh away
>>
>>44970880
>40k RPGs need more players like you.
Er, thanks, but I always considered it having a few drops of sense.
>Acolytes can collect local currency (from encounters or as quest rewards
My gm does this as well, helps when we need to deal with small time shit like greasing palms, games of chance, and the like.
> I certainly don't run campaigns with weeks or months of downtime available mid-investigation
This said, I don't disagree that some jobs can and will take a while, especially if they are infiltration work. It takes time to build trust and get in to the upper echelons.
>>
>>44974752
As a GM, I am not even sure I would be able to process such an outrageously stupid act.
Piss off the admech of an entire forge world, put yourself in the crosshairs of the Martian adepts for fucking one of their worlds over, on top of making one of the Emperor's holy worlds that fuel His Warmachine useless, costing supplies and material to His battlefields?
No. Now you die, and you die hard, and if you escape, you are hunted.
>>44977499
If that npc can find themselves in situations where they would need a statline, yes. That does not mean they are automatically above the players, however.
>>
>>44979992
Well, the idea was for things like major encounters such as combat.
>>
>>44974752

Why did killing the Techpriest make things worse? Don't robots just default to their datawafer when the techpriest dies?
>>
>>44981199

Castella don't use datawafers. They use cybernetica cortexes. Without a cortex controller nearby they go shitfuck ballistic.
>>
>>44980385
Well, yeah, so long as the npc is in a position to be on a higher xp chain than the pcs.
I've found that more xp spent means fuck all, spending it right counts.
Some meatheads lead by a high wp/fel commander with Command trained up makes a group that is almost immune to pinning, which literally can swing combat against you or for you.
>>
How often does anybody in your group make use of any exotic class weapons? Did they ever pay for the weapon training talent to use it?
>>
Later on I'm doing one of my favourite sessions that's in more or less every campaign I've ever run.

The players are put on trial for some atrocity or other (in this case, time travel and the Ordo Chronos are here to sort out what happened). The players have to defend their actions in the campaign, and assembled NPCs will bring everyone else up to speed on what's happening in the plot.
>>
Does someone using a hand cannon with the forearm weapon mounting mod still take the -10 to ballistic skill tests?
>>
>>44982202
Depends.
In DHxe, rarely, because it's very obvious, and you can do just as much with more available equipment. Only webbers have a skill set that makes them worthwhile.
Other lines, usually for fun and flavor, like the dual needle pistolero, that dumbass who used nothing but Eldar gear.
>>44982301
I feel bad for the players!
>>
>>44982516
>Nothing but eldar gear
Just how did he managed to get said gear and supplied with ammo?
>>
>>44982511
Which game line?
>>
>>44982521
I'll let you guess.
He also liked to wear his soulstones as jewelry attached to his armor.
>>
>>44982557
Was this a black crusade game?
>>
>>44982553
Any since all of them that feature the hand cannon have the -10 to BS test thing.
>>
>>44982570
Of course it was!
>had Enemy: Eldar x like 200
>Biel-tan launched a Sword Wind explicitly to murder HIM
>rest of us noped the fuck out, seriously, you started this shit
>FUCKING AVATAR
>manages, with godly rolls, to barter for his life in exchange for the 110 some soul stones he had on him
>afterwards, corsair fleet blows him out of the sky while he was trying to flee the world
>Eldar: dicks no matter how you slice it
>>
>>44982587
If the test explicitly says "needs 2 hands", then yes, it would be as such.
>>
>>44919290
Speaking of shitty GMs writing shitty fanfiction story lines in Dark Heresy I had an interesting (in the worst way) experience with a DH2 game recently.

Basically the GM decided to craft this completely ridiculous story about a revolutionary group fighting against the 'Big Bad Imperium', one that our characters were railroaded into joining.

Long story short this 'revolution' group called "The Wings of Freedom" (I know, dumb fucking name) is this group that believes in human freedom and cooperation between the intelligent races of the cosmos and are fighting the Imperium of Man because blah, blah, blah tyranny.

Throughout this campaign we were constantly fighting the Imperium, we made an alliance with the Tau and the Eldar and regularly recuited more humans to 'the cause'.

Thing is that I didn't complain because the whole time, the entire damn time I was waiting for the penny to drop, for this to turn out to be some kind of nefarious scheme by xenos or chaos or whatever that our group got caught up in. Thus the entire time my character (A techpriest) was making careful logs of all the 'revolution's locations, strategies and movements so that I could turn them into the Imperium and end this heresy as soon as we found out who was behind it.

But the penny never dropped, the GM was being serious about these "Wings of Freedom" guys being in the right and all the alliances were completely legit (according to the GM anyway, lore wise they make no fucking sense). Eventually the GM just up and decided to oust my character as a traitor and he got executed, it was at this point that I realized the GM was completely serious about this story line, wouldn't even let me fate point it, kept saying "What's a traitor going to be able to do from jail even if he survives?". The GM then offered me the chance to make a new character, one loyal to his gay revolution.

I left the group after that but I can only assume they went on to have a peaceful tea party with Khorne.
>>
>>44982649
Anon, I love 40k, but seriously, take your badwrongfun shit out of here.
There is literally a DH module about a world that succeeds explicitly because the planetary governor doesn't want his world fucked over for the Imperium's ambition, and it does play up the contrasts between the demands of the grinder and the life of the every day man that must toil to support a rotted behemoth.
>>
>>44982671
I think an idealistic Governor wanting to free his world from the Imperial Machine is a bit different to spunky 'Wings of Freedom' fighters allying with Eldar and Tau for Liberty and a common cause.
>>
>>44982712
So?
There have been human cultures that working alliances with xenos, Tau are always up to work with others For the Greater Good, and no, Eldar as not as much cunts as people like to pretend. Fucking Biel-tan has an oath of friendship with Tallarn's Raiders.
You are simply saying the gm was doing it wrong because it wasn't what you wanted. Now quit your bitching, unless you have something decent to add.
>>
>>44982748
I wasn't the original poster, but okay.

With the Inquisitor on trial from >>44982301 absent from the session due to Uni studying, we're instead going to hunt some good ol' Heresy like Acolytes should do.
>>
>>44983924
Necrons, bro, necrons.
A single Flayed One to remind them what fear actually is.
>>
>>44983976
May or may not be already happening in the background

I couldn't possibly comment Anon.
>>
File: 1402924624573.png (293KB, 575x386px) Image search: [Google]
1402924624573.png
293KB, 575x386px
>>44983998
>>44983988
>>
>>44983998
Oh gee Mr. GM, I wonder what could be behind that spoiler
>>
>>44984038
I couldn't possibly comment.
>>
>>44979916
>This said, I don't disagree that some jobs can and will take a while, especially if they are infiltration work. It takes time to build trust and get in to the upper echelons.
I've run a boatload of Dark Heresy games, but I don't think I've ever done an undercover/infiltration one before. Hm. Thanks for opening my eyes to the possibility. My acolytes are gonna have fun.
>>
>>44984547
>I don't think I've ever done an undercover/infiltration one before
You haven't?
I don't even see how.
Hell, in the DH game I'm in, I got in good with a hive gang just as cover while we are investigating some recidivists.
>>
Building My First Character:

Hey guys, I'm starting my first 2nd ed game and I'm having trouble. I played on making a not shit tier character with the world background and class I chose. Anyone see a good way to make this work?

Hive World; Imperial Navy; Warrior

STATS:
WS:35 - BS:33 - S:31 - T:42 - Ag:32 - Int:30 -Per:35 - WP:38 - Fel:28 - Inf:31

APTITUDES:
Perception, Ballistics Skill, Strength, Offence, Defense, Weapon Skill, Freebie!

I haven't picked up my starting shit, but as you can probably see already, my aptitudes and all combat based. I'm told thats a really bad idea. Surviving a campaign without any none combat skill would be hard.

And looking at the skills and talents, building a two weapon fighter like I had planned takes a bunch more XP than I thought.

So Advice Please. Do you think theres a good build in here somewhere? Or should I loose the Warrior class for something else. I want to keep navy and hive world. Thanks.
>>
>>44984780
Alright, anon, gimme a sec to type to ya
>>
>>44984780
Here we go.
Now, nothing is wrong with making a combat character, but you should not be ONLY a combat character.
For example, my current character is an Feral IG Assassin. He is brutal, but he's also cunning, see? He has high AG and S, so he is sneaky, athletic AND acrobatic.
When someone needs to be tailed, he can do it.
When someone needs to be carried out of fire, he does that, too.
When fighting on a rooftop and someone needs to take the plunge, he can nimbly position himself for a Mike Awesome style flying suplex that sends people to their doom.
>Set yourself up to be good at 3 things as a general rule.
As for melee, you can be just as effective in killing with a great weapon, with more xp left over for the other things you want to do, than going two weapon. Or be more survivable by going sword and board.
>two weapon is maximum overchoppy, but you can't do anything besides choppy, and that's no good
Decide if you want dakka or choppy, and go for it. Right now, you could choose either, and try to see if you can drop the other aptitude. If you can't, well, it would be less xp to go dakka, but you can go choppy, bump your S and WS, get an pistol for pinning.
For the freebie aptitude, either Agility or Fieldcraft will serve you well, or Willpower.
>sometimes, taking the psyker template later is super shenanigans
At your point, you do not NEED warrior, but it depends on what you want to do, and where you imagine this character coming from and going to.
>>
Thanks for the advice, this helps. im thinking of going dakka since the navy skill is so good. i think im going to change warrior to something else. ill make two builds and go with what rounds the party out best
>>
>>44982671
Nah, this is badwrongfun. That wings of freedom thing sounds completely autistic.
>>
>Wings of Freedom
That sounds more like a finishing move or song to me. Or an odd space American sex position.
>>
>>44984605
My campaigns have always required subtlety (which the new player ALWAYS blows), and collecting evidence through the use of stealth, but it just isn't something that's come up. 90% of my games are run with Tzeetch and JUSTASPLANNEDs (which is a boatload of fun for me). I guess I just get a kick out of manipulating player psychology for the good of the plot. I find nothing more satisfying in life than the groans of my players as their mind games with an NPC come to naught. Then again, I also love it when they actually outsmart my NPC.

In any case, my Tzeentch cultist/puppet usually comes up to the party, or else manipulates them into implicating themselves into helping certain conspiracies, etc.. They usually find themselves prominently placed to stealth around and recover clues as a result.
Or else, they walk into political intrigues and red flag operations, which then turn out to be the effects of conniving by an entirely different faction. Numerous side arcs earn them favours and currency, which also conveniently intertwine with the plot and give them a slightly better picture of what's going on from a grassroots level.
I've never actually had an acolyte join the heresy, even for the purposes of investigating it. It either doesn't cross our minds, or they've blown their subtlety already.
>>
>>44985688
>an odd space American sex position
American here, can confirm. Best sex ever. It's normally preceded by the Teddy Rosevelt Bear Wrassle, and I like to finish up with a Declaration of Independence. Though lately, the lady-friend has been interested in the Greasy, Deep-Fried Assault Cannon Triple Bacon Deluxe with Cheese, so I don't know. I things might be getting serious.
>>
In DH2e, is it better to be a mystic psyker, or to be unbound?
>>
>>44986079
You mean unsanctioned? Well for starters anyone who's not a radical will stomp your balls if they learn your psyker hasn't been sanctioned, so it's a rather delicate position to be in.
>>
>>44986164
That isn't a concern. I'm just talking about personal potential and issues.
>>
>>44921841
Tell you what, if you get what you desire and make a name and story for yourself or just lie and make one up, I'll be glad to make you a persistent character in the splats I'm half-assedly attempting to write so your legend never dies
>>
>>44986283
starting sanctioned gives you a 400exp advantage (free psy level 2 straight off the bat) and other handy things. In general, you'll have a significant advantage in early game, and you'll outpace a rogue psyker through that time. As >>44986164 said, you also escape the massive repercussions of being unsanctioned.

There's also very significant consequences for psychic phenomena. Unbounds add +10 to their rolls normally, and +5*push# for their pushes, compared to bounds never adding anything.

So if you roll doubles on your NORMAL test, you're about 10ish% more likely to roll something bad on the phenomena table that isn't perils, and about 15ish% more likely to roll on perils; perils being very shitty for a character you're trying to keep alive for any length of time. When pushing your powers, your rolls on the tables are even more awful.

So in effect, for PCs, sanctioned psykers are waaaaay better if you intend to use your power with any regularity (given that it's an expensive investment path, you probably will be). Unsanctioned psykers can push harder, but that's a great way to kill yourself/your party with the higher phenomena rolls. It's not so bad if you get Favoured by the Warp, Warp Lock, or other psyker friendly talents... But given you're over 400exp behind sanctioned psykers already (about 1 4hr session worth of experience, by raw) increasing the defect is just shitty.

Now, for NPCs and BBEGs, being unsanctioned isn't that bad. They don't really give a shit about phenomena and perils because they don't have to live very long. Meanwhile, being able to push +4 in addition to whatever their talents let them is fucking great.

tl;dr: PCs should go sanctioned
>>
>>44986740
Oh; I should mention something though. Because starting sanctioned gives you a specific set of aptitudes, you might have a hard time making other character concepts work. So if you're prepared to make an exp sink for a very specific build (eg; muscle wizard), it might actually be cheaper for you to go unsanctioned. Your character's still going to be short lived though, because perils.
>>
How do I fight the Necrons?
>>
>>44986830
Take off and lance the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
>>
File: 1346709716162.jpg (231KB, 878x679px) Image search: [Google]
1346709716162.jpg
231KB, 878x679px
>>44986830
You literally don't, the best thing you can do is throw haywire grenades at them, and that's only if you GM decides they affect them
Reasonably speaking though they're space marines with regeneration, which is easily the most overpowered trait, so use whatever tactics you'd use on a space marine, but much MUCH faster
Also looking at their entry, they don't have slow and purposeful or anything so there's nothing stopping say a pack of flayed ones from sprinting right at your party
>>
>>44986830
With lascannons and melta. Lots and lots of melta.
>>
>>44986740
>about 1 4hr session worth of experience, by raw
I get about 100xp a session if there was a combat.
>>
>>44987120
Page 371 in the dh2e corebook, or somewhere around there, recommends about 100exp/hour in terms of time investment. Of course, it's entirely up to the DM if he choses to deviate from what the game intends as the power curve.
Your DM is especially weird if he's doing flat 100exp for combat, and isn't incentivizing roleplay. I wouldn't want to play with him. It would take literally several hundred hours to reach late game.
>>
>>44987316
I meant IF there was combat.
We generally get between 25-50 for roleplay, 50 for combat.
Looking at it, he has been seriously undercutting us, but I wonder how to bring it up to him without looking like a twat.
>>
>>44987391
Sounds like he's gimping you, but I'd bring it up like this, ask if he has a lot of plans for your campaign or not, because if he has enough material to continue at that pace and get to endgame then fine so be it, but if he doesn't just tell him that you guys won't be able to enjoy the whole of the game as it was designed
Of course this depends on if he's a real GM and one of your friends or if he's some internet guy
>>
Has anyone ever done a vehicle heavy OW campaign? My PCs regiment is Armored with them in a Leman Russ, to make it fun and challenging I am having them fight other Leman Russ tanks. But holy shit it is really fucking longe to kill a Russ with the battle cannon. They even have the tank Hunter and anti armor special training. Could I reduce the stats of hostile tanks to make it easier for them to fight?
>>
>>44987502
He is a close friend, and I basically brought it up the same way you just said.
I told him I'm not demanding a change, but I would like to know his reasoning for shortchanging us, as the game is not any easier or less lethal (I've taken on 6 armed men singlehandedly, got 50xp for it, and 2 pcs have already died in a game that is barely 2 months along).
>>
>>44987391
Ew. That's hardly any experience at all. By his logic, it would take 20+ hours to earn a third level skill advance in a double proficient characteristic. God forbid any of you ever wanted to take the inquisitor advance.

Well, the short answer to that question, is you don't. But the best way to do it would be to have a chat with the other party members behind his back, and find out if you guys are all comfortable with the power curve, and earning next to nothing in terms of experience. Which, fair enough, you could be.
If you're all in agreement that you'd prefer a faster game, then it's a matter of one of you speaking up at the start of your next session. Just lightly word it and say something to the effect of, "hey, we really love your setting and encounters, but we feel like our characters aren't really progressing fast enough. We found these pages in the back of the book for recommended experience, and we feel like it would be a bit more appropriate."

Most likely, the GM simply has no idea what the scaling is meant to be for dark heresy, and decided to go with a conservative guess.

In my sessions, I usually go with 70-80 exp/hr with up to another 100 or so per session for roleplaying
>>
>>44987502
Eh, if you play weekly it doesn't sound too bad. Of course my experience comes from 1e where you could actually buy useful stuff for 100 XP.
>>
>>44987572
In any of the games without buying tables, you can only buy things even relatively useful for 200xp, and that's things like trained skills, talents cost a lot more
That's why I generally go around 150-400 per session so the players can consider and buy things between each game
>>
>>44987532
You can easily reduce the stats of other vehicles. Say they look like older or poorly maintained models.
>>
File: Driving a Grant Tank.jpg (1MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Driving a Grant Tank.jpg
1MB, 2816x2112px
>>44987532

Have they considered flanking to rear and side armor? Alternatively, have you considered giving them a different Russ variant?

The standard Leman Russ (Battle Cannon) can do all roles, but excels at none.
Annihilator and Vanquisher are great at Anti Vehicle, not so great at mass infantry.
Executioner, Incinerator, Exterminator, Conqueror, and Eradicator are better suited to heavy / medium Infantry, and will suffer against tanks. The Punisher is great against hordes of light infantry, but is good against little else.

Always use the right tonk for the job.
>>
>>44988707
This to be honest.
After properly introducing them to a few vehicles my players always tell each other 'shoot it in the ass, it may be more vulnerable there' whenever something even vaguely mechanical shows up.

Silly Acolytes, Spire Slayers don't work that way.
>>
>>44988707
But it can be made up for via hull and sponson weapons. A lascannon can easily be used for anti-vehicle purposes and heavy bolter sponsons handle infantry.
>>
>>44988869

But then you're doing the jack of all trades problem. A Leman Russ Vanquisher with a Lascannon will be MUCH better than a Battle Cannon with lascannon. If you take Heavy Bolters, you have two players who get to twiddle their thumbs because their guns cant hurt the enemy tanks. And if you fight infantry, oh look, Lascannon player is now useless.
>>
File: Peter Rabbit Tank Killer 1.jpg (57KB, 440x619px) Image search: [Google]
Peter Rabbit Tank Killer 1.jpg
57KB, 440x619px
>>44988869

If I was sending players against an enemy armored column, I sure as hell would not give them a Punisher and say "Well, the Lascannon can handle it!"
>>
>>44989127
Why can't a russ with a battle cannon aim behind an enemy so it hits the rear or side armor with a blast?
>>
>>44989252
Enjoy your -20 to hit.
>>
>>44989393
-20 from what? Besides, there is a bunch of leeway with a battle cannon since it is blast 10.
>>
>>44989450
I imagine it would give indirect to your shot since you can't technically see it and would have to arc
>>
>>44987532
Reduce all vehicle armor values by 2.
There you have it, now they are afraid of RPGs, and krak grenades, but can oneshot APCs and kill tanks in but a few hits.
Just like in real life.
>>
>>44988852
>Spire Slayer

Ohoho, do tell us anon, do tell us.
>>
File: 1417457073454.jpg (418KB, 1902x1664px) Image search: [Google]
1417457073454.jpg
418KB, 1902x1664px
Thinking about making an alternative to The Path of Glory and The Path of Damnation for Black Crusade where players characters contract the oblitorator virus and at 100 corruption, instead of spawndom they lose their minds and become destructive forces instead of actual people
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Obliterator_Virus
The stages of the disease are perfect for the corruption track
But I wanted to hear y'all's thoughts on it before I began work on it
>>
>>44989679
Sounds like the Posessed option.
>>
Do any of the Deathwatch supplement books add more enemies like Tyranid Carnifexes and Zoanthropes?
>>
>>44989526
They were assaulting a Stigmartus outpost on Vespasia. (We play in the Jericho Reach, because the Deathwatch devs wanted to show that their game can be played as an intrigue/investigation game and so JR has markedly better places for those than Callixis.)
It was a joint place for sorcerers and hereteks away from the capital (in order to avoid spooking the locals with demonic shit - they didn't have enough resources to stop a full-scale revolt). So of course the players who want to incite an open revolt need to take out the sorceres and the Astropathyic Array which the Stigmartus can use to call reinforcements.
To be honest the Spire Slayer was a 'worst case scenario', and even then it was pretty nerfed (I removed its 9 armor and made its forcefield overload on a 0-35). The players disguised themselves as Rogue Traders (they have a ship, long story) and asked to send and astropathic message, so they could enter the facility. The plan was setting up explosives, blow up the sorcerers and get out. Of course it didn't survive contact with the enemy.
>>
File: 1421885885311.jpg (780KB, 702x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1421885885311.jpg
780KB, 702x1008px
>>44989518
I like this idea. One of my players is very into realistic military stuff and I know it buggs him to have to shoot a tank 6 times to even get to crit with the battle cannon. Also I was worried about them not taking damage so this works great both ways. Thanks
>>
Which book has the most tyranid splats, I am looking at throwing nids at my group of loyal cute guardsmen. Oh they are so fucked hehe.
>>
File: 1311281478300.jpg (182KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1311281478300.jpg
182KB, 500x500px
>>44987316
>100exp/hour
>mfw this will never happen in my group
>>
>>44989818
Mark of Xenos
>>
>>44989830
Cont.
Despite the Chameleon Cloak the sorcerers spotted the sneaky guy setting up explosives, so they defaulted to the standard Inquisition tactic of 'burn the Heretic', which was going pretty well, because they are pretty high level and the enemies could only enter on one entrance. Of course there were fun moments like the Arbitrator climbing out of the window to find out that a sorcerer, a guy with a Lascannon and a few basic infantrymen are heading towards him and deciding to climb back the next turn after sniping the Lascannon guy, but mostly things were looking up for them. They took out a horde of cultists by exploding one of the detpacks near the entrance and were generally very comfy. Then two things happened.
To be cont.
>>
>>44989987
ty my senpai
>>
>>44990008
Cont.
First the enemies coming from the window's direction decided to be tacticool and use their grenades the way they were intended: clearing out hostiles from a building. Now three times 2d10 damage isn't going to hurt anyone in bloody Carapace Armor, but two of those grenades landed right below the detpack closest to the party. The resulting explosion took out the Tech-priest, the hostiles, and managed to reduce the other three characters to 6, 6, and 3 Wounds respectively.

Second I rolled a 01 on the Heretek's Tech-Use roll to hurriedly finish the Spire Slayer.

So after mopping up the rest of the Stigmartus (mainly by taking out the remaining two sides of the building, collapsing it on top of a heretic Ogryn), the players had a full-wounds Spire Slayer on their hands.
To be continued...
>>
>>44989962

Mark of Xenos and Jericho Reach from Deathwatch
>>
>>44918682
Seraphims are stated in Deathwatch adventure the emperor protects
>>
Just how loud are standard imperial chainswords?
>>
>>44990217
Last one
For the first few turns nothing interesting happened, the Arbitrator was slowly but steadily damaging it with a Sniper Rifle, the Scum sprinted for the aforementioned Lascannon and the Feral Worlds Guardsman went to find a getaway vehicle.
Then the Slayer found the Arbite and things got interesting. True to form I rolled a miss on the charge (I always roll shitty for bosses), and that gave him enough time to stun it with a Shock Whip. By now the Scum was in position, so the next turn he left the melee and threw a few Krak Grenades at it. The Scum rolled exceptionally well and managed to take all the way down to 0 Wounds.
At this point the Slayer regained consciousness, activated its shields (I had completely forgotten about them until now) and killed the Arbite. The next turn the Scum missed and lost foot, but wasn't killed.
By then the Gurdsmen came back with the jeep they arrived in. He decided to ram the Slayer. The Slayer decided it was confident enough in its shields and charged head-on.
The shields failed.
The Guardsman's player got the blessing of the Emperor and rolled a 9 for ramming damage, enough to finally kill the monstrosity.
So there we are, with 1/4 characters conscious, awaiting extraction.
The Emperor protects.
>>
>>44990369
Like a chainsaw I imagine.
>>
>>44990369
The DH2e book says they can be heard from like 500 meters away.
>>
Is there a reason why Frag Grenades do so little damage in all lines? 2d10X is rain more times than an actual threat.
>>
>>44990901
I give it Tearing in my games
>>
Okay so I get that when you make requisition tests and how many you get to make are all dependent on context but what would be the starting number you modify from? Do you start at 5 and alter it from there? 8? 3? Like I need as standard of a general purpose number as you can get
>>
>>44991113
Get what?
You mean requisition tests?
As many as context allows.
If you go to a dude and ask, hey, do you have frag grenades?.. roll squat... no, man, ain't got no frags, then you don't roll for frags twice, guy doesn't have them right now.
>>
>>44991173
>You got any Frags?
>Nope, all out
*Burns a Fate Point*
>Oh shit, here they are, totally forgot I had these.
>>
>>44991173
When I say how many requisition tests you get I am not talking about for the same item, I am talking about how many different tests should one be allowed to make. Cause there has to be a cap on that or there would be no reason to not roll for everything every chance you get and I just want to know what a reasonable cap would be
>>
Do you guys ever use your 40k minis when playing games like Deathwatch or Only War?
>>
>>44991591
>*Burns a Fate Point*
Doesn't work like that, chummer.
You spend the fate point for the reroll before the action completes.
Your fagolicious reply makes my whiskey taste bad.
>>44991698
Anon, did you not read what I said about this earlier in the thread?
>>44959978
>>44960575
Now, as I and my GM run it, when you have the time and wherewithal, that means the CONTACTS TO WORK THRU, you can make as many as you want. I usually make a shopping list of things I'm looking for and just go down the line, while realizing that big orders or excessive requisitioning kills your subtlety.
If you are dealing with one middleman, I expect them to cut you off at some point. If you are running from shop to shop trying to pull things in, that gets you noticed.
Ideally, the players themselves should have the sense to rein in flagrant requisitions, because all the gear in the world doesn't mean shit when your target knows you are coming and decides to just go to ground, or worse, pack up and move operations elsewhere.
>>
>>44991698
As many as it takes for it to get out that a heavy mover throwing around cash and favors to anyone willing to give him highly expensive and restricted items. At which point things are likely to go to hell.
>>
>>44991732
I use them for everything. IO even has some Inquisitor minis I bust out, or minis from other games and shit.
Infinity actually has some decent minis for a well kitted out warband.
>>
>>44991732

When I was still doing face to face games, we did. But all we had at the time was my Tau, another guy's Necrons, and a third guy's Raven Guard. It led to a lot of funny situations.
>>
>>44991732
I've been playing on Roll20 so I use tokens, but rarely specific 40K ones. I did use some of the minis from Vassal40K for a couple of tokens.
>>
>>44991970
And then you didn't poo in the loo and no one wanted you around to make their home a designated shitting house?
>>
>>44992280

what do these words even mean? Did you just seizure on your keyboard?
>>
File: sieg heil.png (64KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
sieg heil.png
64KB, 2400x2400px
So has anyone else come up with stupid ideas for things that they're never going to use?

For example, while shoveling snow this morning, I came up with the idea of a spliter order of Sisters Dialogous devoted to maintaining the purity of the Gothic language, by force if necessary, and try to set up schools to instruct the locals to drop their slang/local dialects that they've developed over the past few thousand years or so and return to "Proper" Imperial Gothic. These Sisters of the Blessed Word would also perform random "raids" on households and businesses to make sure that proper gothic is being spoken at all times, and anyone that diverges from the proper form is to be punished.

Yes, I know, I've created literal grammar nazis.

But what else do you guys have?
>>
>>44993030
That actually sounds like something that could happen.
>>
>>44993030
are you a fluff author?
>>
>>44993110
No, not in its current form.
If by Gothic they mean specifically High Gothic and you drop the stupid raid nonsense, then it's actually plausible.
>>
>>44991970
here's your (you) reply. now be an attention whore elsewhere
>>
I need help coming up with individual districts of a a very large space station. I have a lot of names but am stumped on giving each of them some sort of flavor.

I would greatly appreciate it if people could help me fill in the blanks
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.