[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG OGW Pre Release

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 31

Big Mana strategies?

or

URx Tempo?
>>
>>44800075
You have to work with what you open. That's the long and short of it.
>>
Crossing my fingers for BUg Eldrazi
I'm going alone because my only friend is too busy injecting WoW into his eyeballs
>>
>>44800075
I'm confused, are you forced to play two headed giant this pre release? i don't want some scrub lord 12 year old mucking up my prerelease. Even if my friend shows up its kinda iffy to do it this way
>>
>>44802136
Nope.

Your LGS should say which sessions will be 2HG and not.
>>
>>44801713

>2015
>not injecting your mmos into your butthole instead
>>
>>44800075
That promo is beautiful
>>
this is my first mtg event, ami basically paying 25 bones for a pity pack?
>>
>>44802566
First ever?

Do you know how to play?
Limited is a deckbuilding exercise. It's $25 for six packs of the new set, which is about what you'd buy it for normally, plus some promo stuff. Usually a seeded pack with a dated foil precon deck rare and a spindown in terrible colors with the set symbol on it.
You'll be making a deck from whatever you pull from the packs and playing people.

Matches can get heated and you'll end up looking for really weird ways to use cards.

Depending on the shop, there can be door prizes. There's usually prize packs for the top half of the entrants. Always split first prize.
>>
>>44803039
>friend and I offer to split the prize packs every time we make it to the finals of 2HG prereleases (so far 3 out of 4 times we've done it)
>every time opponents are tryhards who say no because they think they'll win
>they don't
It isn't even because we go to the same store, we keep trying new ones because there are like a dozen within driving distance. Why is the MtG community like this?
>>
>>44803277
I don't know about 2HG, but every time I've gone to a prerelease the top two have split.
They then usually play the game for fun anyway.

The prize for 1st is usually, what, about 10-12 packs? 2nd is then about 8-10. Splitting means you both get 9-10, and you're on good terms with the other guy (better trades).
>>
>>44801427
>long and short
so black and white then?
>>
Mine is on Sunday.

I'm hoping I can get enough cards for UR Tempo. Does it look potent enough to work in general standard or just Limited? Kinda want to switch to that from Allies because Allies can get kinda boring after a while.
>>
>>44800075
The CFB article summed it up perfectly.
>All cards and strategies from the previous sets don't work with this one
>So just play a goodstuff deck I guess
>>
Got Sphinx of the final word as my promo
Pulled Kozilek.
Ended up running blue black white.
Was really fun, but I wish I'd gotten more surge cards, or even my partner had.
>>
File: kozi.jpg (46KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
kozi.jpg
46KB, 540x960px
>>44800075
soo ummm... I got this
>>
>>44808099
nice 50 there bud
>>
>>44808099
Did you play the midnight or just crack packs?

How aggressive was the sealed format?
>>
>>44808099
If you're going to sell/trade it to someone make sure to rub your cock on it first
>>
>>44808616
waiting to see how many pop up
>>
Won first match 2-0.

Fuck this set is awful.
>>
>>44808651
I grabbed and left
had 5 others with me got to see a lot of cards but very little play of the cards
>>
>>44808880
Buddy texted me and said its all 3 color pile of goodstuff no synergy the set.
>>
>>44808932
>3 color pile

does Anus Mana count as a color in that consideration?
>>
>>44808932
lol
the madman! xD
>>
I got ghet, ayli, and enough of the right cards to build around it.
It was so fucking good.
>>
File: IMG_20160112_115837.jpg (3MB, 3040x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_115837.jpg
3MB, 3040x4096px
Plating right now in my prerelease, 2-1 so far, playing UG monsters, not bad but some hands are bleh, which basically lost me the first match. Other than that its turn after turn of monsters.
W rounds left to go, and as for cards I got the blinking eldrazi and oath of Nissa so far as decent value cards, anyone else?
>>
>>44809729
2 rounds*
>>
File: both are foil.jpg (461KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
both are foil.jpg
461KB, 1600x900px
Well I went 2-1 because of a bye and my opponent getting mana screwed. My pool was fucking garbage, Captain's claws as my promo, i got like 20~ creatures in total in my pool so i had to jam grixis + colorless garbage to even have a playable number of creatures. At least prize packs are a thing.
>>
>>44809277
Basically they are, the anus activated abilities on normal creatures aside some of colorless creatures are actually uncastable unless you splash wastes or colorless mana producing sources in your deck.
>>
To all of you saying your pools were garbage, my promo was a hedron alignment, and along with that I got an oath of gideon, jace, and chandra. the only decent oath rare I got was an eldrazi obligator.
>>
>>44800075

Ended up drawing 2 Chandras in pre-release, ran a R/G ramp deck. Came 4th in the end.

I really like new Chandra actually, she won me several games.
>>
Nearly managed a win with 1 life and zero cards in my library via inverter of truth shenanigans. Unfortunately the boulder salvo I needed got shuffled to the bottom, so by the time I was able to cast it, I wasn't quite able to get enough damage through to kill before I decked.
>>
Went 3-1 with BW allies splash Eldrazi. Drana Cohort, Landfall board pump vampire, hellbent land, 2 2/4 BW flying vamp allies, and the tribal equipment. That fucking equipment won me 4 games. I basically ran fatass dudes and some flying and vigilance, clogged the board, and swung over top with that ballin equipment.

Promo was Planeswalker tutor and pulled a Nissa in my prizes.

Someone else got one prize pack and pulled a Wasteland.
>>
>>44810226
i feel sorry for you tobequiethonest familia

got a Mina & Den as my promo
my rares where shit too except for Hissing Quagmire
I got
Corrupted crossroad
oath of chandra
stoneforge masterwork

and the bfz one were just as shit witth a aligned hedron network and a prism array

just fuck me up went 1-2 got rolled over by eldrazi value everywhere when i opened up shit and got litterally 0 removal (scour from existence lmao)
>>
>>44800075
is it likely i'll make money back if I buy a box, or should I just do a second pre release? I went 2-3 this one.
>>
>>44810798
>is it likely i'll make money back if I buy a box
No, stop buying boxes and expecting profit or good card you retard.
Or rather, buy as many boxes as you can and try to flood the market so others can play a standard that isn't a $700 format.
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 640x752px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 640x752px
My pool sucked but I made it work. My promo was the land that's like mana confluence that you can get pure colorless with. I had a regular one in my pool too and ended up UB Devoid Eldrazi. People seriously underestimated the pure colorless activated abilities. The guy who can make your guys unblock-able AND draws you cards is ridiculous. The deck was a blast to play. I was chump checking people all night by swinging the 2/3 vigilance guys into the 1/3 flier. I probably got 20 free damage off people saying no blocks when I didn't have a trick. The crystal ball artifact to scry on upkeep was gas too. A few times I'd swing with the vigilance mana dork, hold priority, and cast a colorless instant. Was great fun.

I offered to split with my last round opponent. He said no, which was fine. My store does 1 pack for 2-2, 4 for 3-1 and 2 for 2-1-1. We were both 2-1 and he said no to split. I murdered him and got this. He didn't want to concede and was super salty. I offered, you should have accepted. Happy to run you over though. Super fun set.
>>
>>44810932
I also only played 3 of the 7 rares, lol. Support is a trap.
>>
Anyone got expeditions from their prerelease kit? Not prizes but straight from the prerel kit?
>>
>>44810981
Yeah, a guy at my store got a Wasteland in his sealed pool. I watched him expertly sandbag it against the awaken counterspell, the look on that guy's face was great.
>>
>>44800075

This night I dreamed that I bought a OGW box and got a foil Wasteland out of it and also a stack of pokemon cards and a tropical island. Is that a sign? Should I actually do it?
>>
Currently sitting at 5-0-1 waiting to get prize packs. Intentional draw the last round. Was running a mostly red green landfall with a splash into white for linvalla promo and 2 scythemasters.

Got embodiments of insight and fury, 2 evolving wilds, 2 of those 1G instants that makes a land 4/4 and gives it haste and must be blocked if able to be, greenwarden of muramasa, grove rumbler, titan's fall, etc

Typical turn order:
Turn 1 land
Turn 2 land, gnarlid or stalking drone,
Turn 3 relentless hunter
Turn 4 rumbler/fury
Turn 5 insight, or evolving wilds into double landfall triggers.

To make it short: RG is explosive as hell
>>
File: Image (2).png (123KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).png
123KB, 223x311px
These guys are "no fun allowed" incarnate. I love it.
>>
File: Ygoq7MR.jpg (829KB, 1793x3187px) Image search: [Google]
Ygoq7MR.jpg
829KB, 1793x3187px
Went 3-0 then split. Oath is definitely a good addition to this format, and it seems a lot faster.

Glare is covering double Tar Snare, which kills almost everything under 3 mana, and Containment Membrane.

Aggro'd the shit out of people with double champions claws.
>>
>>44810996
Ah okay. Just asking because it seems like the stores around my location got zero expeditions this time while they get like 2 or 3 at bfz.
>>
>>44811400

Wasteland seems to be a common theme here, some dude opened one in his pool. Saw him use it against a guys dual lands and mana screwed him hard.
>>
File: 204535_1.jpg (61KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
204535_1.jpg
61KB, 265x370px
>>44808099
I am nearing dangerous high sodium levels.

I got a nice skull shifter, but the mythic I did manage to pull was pic/trash related
>>
>>44808099
That is at least a solid $90 you lucky fuck.
>>
>>44811450
>not wanting an ally commander deck
>>
4-1 with UR flyers deck splashed with green for Skyrider Elf. And promo Kozilek was neat although I didn't use it.
>>
I went to the midnight prerelease, my promo was Oath of Chandra.
I played WR + a bit diamond colorless, went 2-1-1 and finished sixth/26.
Since it was my first non-draft event and so far I had only ever won 1 match, I'm very happy about that.
One guy opened an expedition, one opened two planeswalkers.
>>
>>44800075
Went 3-1 and got second place because I lost to the guy in 1st in the 3rd round. My pool was pretty bad. I did get the mythic sphinx, I just never drew it.

Turns out cheap 2/X Fliers are damn good if you back them up with 10ish "hard" removal.
>>
Went to midnight and did 1-2, played UR with colorless splash, jori was a house. First loss was to a T4 khalitas in game 1, and a turn 3 khalitas game two. Other one was to Double linvala's. The format is pretty much going to be 3 color pile w/ bombs unless you get really lucky.
>>
File: 1445980468779.png (635KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
1445980468779.png
635KB, 768x576px
>>44811342

>Captain's Claws used in an Eldrazi Deck

It works, but it's one of those things that just makes me smile because of the lore.
>>
>>44813312
Could be shapeshifting drones to fuck with the zendikarians i guess.
>>
How does the format change with 2HG?
>>
>>44814221
There's an entire article on that exact subject on the official website that released this week.
>>
>>44814221
Surge can be used more easily and Bolster is suddenly good instand of meh.
>>
>>44814764

pretty much all of my surge worked well enough last night. Newbushwhacker was an absolute blowout when it came down
>>
>>44815060
Yeah, I used a bunch of surge spells at surge costas well. Although I had to cast some spells at regular cost, too, when I didn't have any good low-cost spells in hand and not enough mana for expensive card plus surge.
At 2HG your team has basically twice the mana pool and twice the hand cards, so one player can play his expensive bomb and the other still has enough mana to use the cheaper surge cost for whatever. That's what I meant with "more easily".
>>
File: eldrazidisplacer.jpg (39KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
eldrazidisplacer.jpg
39KB, 265x370px
I went 1-2 at my midnight release. I got a pck because me and the other guy agreed to split one then play for the 3rd pack.

My pool was pretty good, my promo was pic related, so I payed for my entry fee. I built a janky black white ally lifegain deck with drana's chosen and felidor sovereign. I also had the white cohort rare that gives ALL your creatures +1/+1. I had the black white 2/4 flyer, as well as the ally that drains on rally.

I won the first game against a black red eldrazi aggro deck. Felt good going into game 2 and 3 and got completely hosed by removal. Tar pit, obliteration, grasp of darkness. Black is super strong. Last game I got blasted out by a guy with the traitor vampire + brood butcher. He would sac a zombie token, -2/-2 one of my guys, get another zombie token.

Overall the format seems a lot more fun then BFZ. Would draft.
>>
>>44817105
>Eldrazi Displacer
This card was an absolute beast during the prerelease.
>>
>>44817105
>the white cohort rare that gives ALL your creatures +1/+1.
I had that, too (as foil even), put all available allies in the deck for it, and then never saw it in the 11 games. Not even in a mulligan, if I remember correctly. But at least I still did well enough because of all my red removal, so far I like the set.
>>
File: IMG_20160116_150440.jpg (4MB, 4096x3040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160116_150440.jpg
4MB, 4096x3040px
>>44809729
Me again, went 4-1 with the ug strategy, how did I do?
>>
>>44810574
corrupted crossroads saved my ass for mana fixing almost every game, wouldn't call it shit
>>
>>44810932
Were you at game night?
>>
Today was a good day.

>Sunken Hollow Expedition
>Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
>Chandra, Flamecaller
>>
Played UG with a splash of black for that black 7-drop eldrazi.

Placed 23rd of 50, though could've probably made it to 20 if I wouldn't be a fucking retard and not only keep forgetting about my Endbringer pings or block that single fucking flier to lose my own in the last game.
>>
>>44810855
>implying any Oath cards will be Standard playable
truthfully baka compadre
>>
>>44810932
>Canopy Expedition
nice meme
>>
>>44814221
Crush of Tentacles is an instant-win
>>
File: IMG_20160116_183752738.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160116_183752738.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>44810932
Cheers mate
>>
>>44800075
I got two Sunken Ruins. Should I instasell before release?
>>
My experience in the 7 round prerelase:
>BU literally everywhere (including myself)
>Watch out for allies, theyre actually good
>I find it more fun than BfZ
>Uncommons/Commons > Rares
>>
>>44810226
>Hedron Alignment promo
Me too.
>Oath of Jace
Me too.

I didn't get fucked in the ass with the remaining cards, though. Got a Nissa's Renewal and a Zendikar Resurgent. And a Void Winnower. Holy shit the value is unreal.
>mfw played those three in a single game which I was losing
>mfw my opponent's face when he saw my bullshit comeback
>mfw his mouthbreathing and THINKING intensified
Proceeded to lose the following 2 games of that round, but it was worth it for that moment alone.
>>
>>44800075
>Played B/W cohorts
>Grindfest for the first two games
>/sigh "I'll change tactics for this guy so I'll try to win faster"
>end up losing
>Start losing the rest of my matches too
>End up second to last
>Get a raffle and win some sleeves
>Alright so it was worth it
>pull my pity pack
>Get a Strip Mine
It was an alright time
If you go cohort play long and grindy and turtle all day, do not use bombs
Just control and grind
>>
>>44817724
It's a shame about those Oaths, but at least you got some cool mythics and a some good rares.
>>
>>44822562
Oath of Nissa is worth a decent bit at least, and Cascade Bluffs is dosh
>>
File: vampire envoy.png (170KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
vampire envoy.png
170KB, 265x370px
Didn't open anything even close to money, but at least 5-0 and first in the tournament for some packs. Common MVP in picture.
>>
Got seventh place out of over 50, went 8-2.

Pulled Nissa, Chandra and got my promo Ayli so I don't fucking care anymore, fuck Wizards.

P.S. don't ever draft this fucking set
>>
>>44817724
>Nissa
>Expedition
There is already good money there if you manage to sell your Nissa now.

Also your rares are pretty good, I would love to get a pool like yours tomorrow.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 189x187px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 189x187px
>Anus Mana
Must make anus edh, are people trading anus lands at prerelease or are they hoarding jusy incase anus becomes a thing?
>>
Traded for almost a complete set already on puca for just abit more than the price of a fatpack, just missing kozilek's overpriced boardwipe and dog-knot seer, feels good man
>>
>>44800075
Went G/W, Captains Claws and Nissa did work.
>>
pulled lisainivila (??? wingmate roc angel???) and got eldrazi displacer as my promo but still lost 3 games out of 5. Didn't know that Kozelik had to be cast to gain cards so I didn't try tapping him down. Still got to displace the angel a shit load of times, which is cool.
>>
I opened a bunch of bad cards, I had no creatures and my wincon was the R Outcast that places dragons in the game. Went 2-2 and won 4 packs. My promo was Oath of jace. I wih I had opened an expensive land or a card I'm going to use ;_;
>>
File: 20160116_002616.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160116_002616.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>44810981
Got this last night at the midnight release.

Kind of a good pull. Promo was eldrazi mimic, got a sire of stagnation, remorseless something or other, and jori en
>>
>>44811310
Fuck this guy, he shut me down the entire tourney
>>
>>44810996
Mmm, I love good wasteland plays.
>>
>>44811310
Love this guy, shut down faggots the entire tourney
>>
>>44811004
yeah dude, you might pull a foil charizard
>>
Played RB. Promo was that black Eldrazi that can make an opponent sacrifice a creature for a bit of extra mana. I also opened the surge dragon, Kalitas, and Endbringer.
Let me just say, holy crap Endbringer is absolutely disgusting.
Opened quite a lot of removal, too. I had some really nice blue and green options, but settled with red for the dragon, some burn, and that landfall creature that makes one of your lands a 3/3 creature for the turn. That thing did some work.
Going 3-0 got me to top 8.
Winning the next match got me to top 4.
Got game one by the skin of my teeth, managed to get the right removals at the right time and Endbringer worked him down enough that I could kill him. Games 2 and 3 went to him because for as much removal as I had, he had just as much and then some if we total up his removal and bounce. Most of his creatures had at least 3 toughness, so my burn and that black sorcery that gives all creatures -2/-2 ended up being useless.
Got a Jori En from my prize packs and that's pretty much all I wanted from this set.
>>
I got a Kozilek's Return foil promo

How much is it worth and is it worth a trade for the new kozilek?
>>
Pretty good pre-release.

B/U/W left me with no defeats.

A shame I didn't add the W splash until a few rounds in. Ended up going 4-2 and one draw.
>>
File: crying saber color.jpg (210KB, 686x441px) Image search: [Google]
crying saber color.jpg
210KB, 686x441px
>>44800075

>pulled THREE fucking hedron alignments in my sealed pool

Goooo FUCK yourself, wizards.
>>
>>44833529
Now that's just a massive fuck you. Were any of the other rares at least playable?
>>
>>44833568
Ended up playing an awkward blue/black ramp/control deck.

Got a barrage tyrant, which I didn't play because somehow my red was absolute garbage.

Crush of tentacles, which seldom came out at a reasonable time, because I had few cheap things to surge it off of, and usually just ended up getting answered

Overwhelming Denial. It was basically an objectively worse cancel, because in limited, you will never ever play it for its surge cost. And if you do, it won't be profitable.

Desolation Twin, which is what I was trying to ramp into (along with a few other big beaters.) Never saw play.

It was easily the worst sealed pool I have ever seen. It was fucking abysmal.
>>
>>44833620
Oh yeah, my colors were super bad.

I opened up two Aylis and had to go three colors just because the pools were garbage.
>>
>>44833672

I seriously want to slap whoever thought hedron alignment was a good idea in general, but especially whoever decided that it should be a promo.

But besides that, my colors were pretty much garbage in general.

All of my cards were all over the place, and lacked any kind of consistency. I think the card that I determined was the best in my entire pool was mindmelter.
>>
Took second with a solid white/black deck. I had a lot of allies and a lot of lifegain, plus plenty of stuff that benefited from both. The rares I played were Endbringer, Ayli, and Mirrorpool but the deck really wasn't splashy at all. Simple consistency and synergy were most of my wins.
>>
File: IMG_20160117_005646.jpg (954KB, 1629x1629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160117_005646.jpg
954KB, 1629x1629px
Pretty stoked with my promo. Pool was pretty shite though. Pretty much played GW tokens to stall out so I could ultimate Nissa. Didn't even pull any big Eldrazi that I could use with all the land I ended up having.
From what I've seen so far, RB Devoid aggro seems to be pretty solid.
>>
>>44833733

Black/White seems strong in the format. In a THG prerelease I did, I played a black/white allies deck, and it did some serious work, went 4-0, and in the normal prerelease I did later, a black/white allies deck took first as well.
>>
File: dgfdhfgsfhsd.jpg (107KB, 960x378px) Image search: [Google]
dgfdhfgsfhsd.jpg
107KB, 960x378px
Storefag from downunder here.
One of our entrants cracked 2 expeditions and a foil wastes in his prerelease bawkz.
Some people have it all ey.
>>
I went 3-1, opened that new vampire a foil Island and some memedrazi stuff. I felt like the disparity across pools was insane, most of my games were incredibly one sided.
>>
>>44829999
Quads don't lie.
>>
>>44833799

I noticed that as well, I think I saw exactly one match go off that wasn't one person absolutely destroying the other.

It is like, there is not a lot of good stuff, but what is good is amazing.
>>
>>44833756
I think the archetype got a boost because cohort is so much better than rally. As soon as you have two allies you can just go to town with cohort every turn, whereas rally required dropping another new creature every time you wanted it to proc. Plus shit like Ondu War Cleric and Vampire Envoy fill roles as both lifegain and ally support, which merges the two decks that kind of competed for that space in Oath. I pulled three Ondu War Clerics and one Vampire Envoy in my sealed, to which I attribute most of my success.
>>
>>44832180
Congrats on your 80 bucks bro
>>
>>44833917
But at the same time it made the individual allies much worse. You can play the first strike or menace guys just for their ETB effects, but stuff like Drana's Emmisarry is completely useless unless you get a decent ammount of allies in your pool.

That should work out better in draft, but in sealed you usually get a bunch of really shitty vanilla guys. Like the only guys that are playable without their cohort are the 2/1 first striker and the 2/2 cleric.
>>
>>44828071
fatty sausage fingers
>>
>tfw open promo Nissa, a Chandra and good ol' Ulamog along with that Eldrazi Mimic and Jori En
>Slam Ulamog, swing with a 10/10 mimic
>Ended up 2-2 in 2HG with my brother
Everything went better than expected
>>
>>44834290
u seem upset
>>
Missed the prerelease today because the guy i always go with drank too much yesterday and coulcn't hear his phone ringing.
Oh, well. I guess that's one more set i'll skip then...
>>
>>44800075

My friend who was meant to show up for 2HG bailed on me so I had no partner. So I asked the store owner if I could take 2 pre-release packs since I had already payed for them and make two decks and allow me to play both decks simultaneously as "2 handed giant." I then asked the other players if they were comfortable with this and was given the thumbs up. Much fun was had and I even won 2 games netting me 8 packs.
>>
>>44835000
>I even won 2 games netting me 8 packs.
Man fuck UK, going anything worse than 4-1 or 3-1 nets you a single pack here
>>
>>44835222
Really? Damn. Even here in Australia a THG win is worth 4 packs.
>>
>>44835384
Well a single pack each, I forget about 2HG

But yeah a lot of places here just do top x get packs and it's usually a very small number i.e 2/3 and everyone else gets a single one. Tempted to go to a further out LGS and see if it's any better.
>>
File: IMG_20160116_042313.jpg (651KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160116_042313.jpg
651KB, 1536x2048px
Went to two events. Judged the first one, played in the second.

The number of times I had to say the phrase "colorless is not a color" was/is pretty embarrassing. But hey, got a Mystic Gate expedition in my compensation prerelease pack.

The tournament I played I went 3-1 playing Memedrazi ramp with hedron crawlers and cultivator drones. Slam down Deceiver of Form, he reveals eldrazi devastor and suddendly my 4 scions are all 8/9 with trample.
>>
>>44833950
yeah the thing is that it is so much cheaper in my country (50). i do not know whether i should wait for our price to level with this 80 bucks thing or try selling it on ebay now, which is what I never did and I am lazy to...
>>
>>44835222

Yeah in 2HG if you win it's 2 packs per player. Seeing as I was playing 2HG literally 1v2 I still counted as "two players" because I did buy two pre-release packs and played with two packs. I wasn't entirely greedy though as I did offer to split packs but opponents just laughed and said I deserved the packs and they had a good time.
>>
File: cliffhaven.png (127KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
cliffhaven.png
127KB, 223x311px
>>44823359
That thing did so much work for me. Also got that bat and pic related triggering off her lifegain consistently.
>>
>>44800075
cantrips and burn
>>
Got nothing but trash and went 2-2 and only one prize pack, due to splitting the winnings. It had a foil chandra and a linvlala in it. It felt good.
>>
>>44822562

Oath of Gideon ain't too bad in an Ally Deck. Possibly get a Rally out and Gideon will be a bit beefier when you play him.
>>
>Want to play with OGW cards
>don't want to get any BFZ cards

Does the pre-release still do the thing where you get a bunch of the first set and then like three boosters of the new set for the block?
>>
>>44838620
4 OGW 2 BFZ
>>
Just came home from my second prerelease.
My Promo was Goblin Dark-Dwellers.
I played UR splash black (just for Mindmelter and Deepfathom skulker, but I had an Evolving Wilds and a dual land so it didn't cost me anything) without a real theme, mostly creatures.
Went 3-2-1 and I'm okay with that, because I had no great cards in my pack. Nothing in my 2 prize booster either.

>>44812726
This was my other one. In total a successful weekend for me.
>>
>>44817724
And once again, ,this time 4-0 at another shop with RGColorless, I pulled Kozileks Return Matter Reshaper, UR Manland, Promo Linvala, and another Eldrazi Displacer.
I counted the current value of the higher money cards and made around 180$, feels good, now to trade them off for things that will retain their value before the set gets overly saturated into the market, :D
>>
>Tfw promo was thought knot seer
Payed for the whole event
>>
Went 3-0 in a THG, won game 2 on turn 5 it was ridiculous how good our synergy was. Black/white allies for me and blue/red surge for my friend.

Best thing I pulled was a thought knot seer
>>
File: 20160117_210859-1.jpg (138KB, 469x668px) Image search: [Google]
20160117_210859-1.jpg
138KB, 469x668px
Waiting for when this bad boys price skyrockets :^)
Needless to say I wasn't impressed.
>>
>>44842250

I know your pain, brother.
>>
>>44842395
Well at least foiled version looks pretty nice if nothing else.
>>
File: muh rares.jpg (926KB, 2568x1947px) Image search: [Google]
muh rares.jpg
926KB, 2568x1947px
Ended up going 2-2 playing Bant Eldrazi. Posting rare pulls
>>
Got Oath of Nissa as my promo card. Traded it away for a (non-promo) Kalitas. I dunno if I'm gonna regret that in the future if Oath of Nissa spikes, but I really, really never run planeswalkers and I actually have uses for Kalitas (plus, playing a game against one, he's a scary fucker).
>>
>>44837380
>>44823359

Vampire Envoy + Chainmage + Cliffhaven = bffs
>>
>Woke up today
>Crushing headaches all day

And I missed my pre-release event. Hopefully I can still get a box that I put money down for.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 701x312px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 701x312px
>>44844570
I utilize a Drana's Emissary + Cliffhaven Vampire + Kalastria Healer + Eldrazi Displacer + Serene Steward + Malakir Familiar
>Tfw you deal 12 damage and recover 6 lives turn 5
>All this before combat phase even begins
>Then you swing for 40 damage
>>
File: 1399518938795.jpg (42KB, 356x267px) Image search: [Google]
1399518938795.jpg
42KB, 356x267px
>tfw 10 year old kid pulled forbidden orchard and was running around bragging to everyone and tells everyone how his deck is legendary and undefeatable
>proceeded to go 0-3-0
>>
Did alright, went 2-1-1 loosing to a RW aggro deck in the final round. I played RU with a dash of black for the 4 mana exile and malakir familiar and colorless for some abilities and kozileks pathfinder. There was a lot of three color midrange-y stuff, and surge sphinx ended up being golden, since most games ran longer and I had several 2-3 drops. Nothing too amazing for my pulls, I got a holo dark dweller though and a regular oath of nissa and thats about it.
>>
What's up with some stores not being able to do prereleases?
My FLGS did prelreleases for the past few sets back to KTK, so I don't understand why they weren't able to do a OGW one.
Demand too low so wizards said "fuck off" to smaller stores?
>>
>>44844755

Sadly, I was not so fortunate in my pulls. I did have a Linvala though, who was a nice touch when I was in a bad spot a few time. Unfortunately, I didn't fare too well. Every game turned into an attrition battle where my opponent and myself were down to topdecking.
>>
>>44837380
>Ayli was my promo
Good lord I would have loved to pull this fucker.

As an aside, did anyone else see any misprints on their promo? Because mine was.
>>
>>44844990
Ah, those weren't my pulls. That's the standard deck I'm working on.

Really, its been working so well that I might just start trying it out in Modern. Affinity and the like eat it alive, but I see it working well against both Midrange and Control. I just need to get better lands and figure a way to play the deck faster.
>>
File: I have no idea.jpg (92KB, 500x765px) Image search: [Google]
I have no idea.jpg
92KB, 500x765px
>>44833529

>Not pulling FOUR hedron alignments and going 4-0-0 with the wincon
>>
>>44842250
At our store the guy who got Prism Array as a promo got Hedron Alignment as a promo this time.

He was stoked about it and had fun.
>>
>>44835511
>The number of times I had to say the phrase "colorless is not a color" was/is pretty embarrassing.

I know your pain. It was by far the most common question I got, too.

I played in three prereleases and opened nothing of value, though. Today we had 38 people and two expeditions: Forbidden Orchard and Wasteland.
>>
Played Rb big eldrazi, went 2:1. Was ok. Guy got promo chandra, nissa in his packs and another chandra in prize packs. I was jelly.
>>
>>44845099
Misprints?, Like what?

Post a pic of your promo.
>>
I played 3 events. This is how they went down
>Midnight 2hg
Match 1: Teammate and I get no lands
Match 2: Lost.
>Saturday single with 3 colors
match 1: Won
Match 2: Didn't get the color I needed
Match 3: No lands
>Sunday single with 2 colors
Match 1: Nothing but lands
Match 2: I can't get my two colors I need, but my opponent can get 4 colors online by turn 4.

I am looking up how to manaweave right now. 2/3 of my games were just sitting there watching my opponent play spells. I played 17 lands in every deck. Fuck my life.
>>
>>44846686
Manaweeving is illegal, a deck has to be completely randomized.

"can't get my lands" being a long standing issue is translation for "I can't properly build a mana base/deck".
>>
>>44846721
I am just salty. I followed my usual steps that work, but this entire weekend was nothing but bad luck. My mana bases were fine.
>>
>>44846721
Is manaweaving illegal if you do it face down?, then you are simply using an alternative shuffling method since you actually don't know where your lands ended up or how they are distributed.
>>
>>44846686
>I am looking up how to manaweave right now.
You're such a Cuckold
>>
>>44846926

Yes. If I come with a pile of lands and a pile of spells, and put them together in front of you, it's not okay no matter what. Build a better mana base, and get better at shuffling between rounds. >>44846951
>>
>>44846926
whenever someone mana weaves in front of me I take their deck and rifle it once. It piles all their lands together and clumps it so they're either mana screwed or flooded. This is also cheating, but it's how I fuck over cheaters
>>
File: 20160117_190455_resized.jpg (719KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
20160117_190455_resized.jpg
719KB, 2064x1161px
We did it bros
>>
>>44847750
Congrats man, 300 for a card is a ton. Whats your plans for it?
>>
>>44847750
I was able to get a playset of horizon canopies to finish up my modern deck

and a couple other things
>>
>>44847151
How is that illegal? I'm pretty sure you're allowed to shuffle your opponent's deck for the cut.

Also, probably an urban legend, but I heard of one guy at a GP who manaweaved in a land-nonland-nonland pattern. When he presented his deck to the opponent to cut, his opponent did pile1-pile2-pile2, then put the piles on top of each other and returned the deck.

Really, though, just buy some decent sleeves, they help with proper shuffling so much.
>>
>>44848582
It's illegal because I know their deck isn't randomized, I essentially am stacking their deck but the only way I can is if they stack their deck
>>
>>44803039
>a dated foil precon deck rare
>not delicious Thought-Knot Seer
>>
Went 4-0 at a midnight prerelease playing UR Eldrazi with only Dimensional Infiltrator (A fucking WORKHORSE, btw), Stoneforge Masterwork and Crush of Tentacles. 2 half-white manlands and an Omnath without any support in Green or White made me sad

Went 3-1 the next day doing the exact same thing with a significantly worse pull. Tazri as a promo, only 3 white creatures in the entire sealed pool and only 2 green creatures. Black also had a few creatures (Skitterskin is nice I guess), but 4 dutiful return effects (2 of each, whooo) and no creatures or removal as the commons. Just jammed UR Eldrazi again because the only good cards I had were Reality Smasher and Thought-Knot Seer, plus I actually had creatures in those colors. I even lived the dream and got the seer out on turn 3 with the little crawler bro

I really enjoyed the set, just wish I had creatures in any of my sealed pools
>>
Played 2 events today. Overall lower turnout at the store today compared to BFZ but that's because it struggled to make it to 0 degrees outside.

Event 1: Went 1-3, got a promo Endbringer, and a foil Oath of Gideon and Thought-Knot Seer. Traded regular Jori-En to a kid for a Reality Smasher, Dread Defiler, and Oath of Jace, picked up a few other nice rares. Person across from me opened foil Nissa and regular Chandra.

Event 2: Less flashy cards, but I was able to string together some great U/R tricks, and resolved a Deceiver of Form on curve to end match 3 and start match 4 back to back to go 3-1, picked up 3 packs of Oath and a pack of MM2015.
>>
Attened the prerelease at my LGS today. Its a smaller shop so the turn out was around 30 people. Got 6th place for my second time at a prerelease.

Played R/U with some decent removal. I relied on waiting out with some chump blockers, then pumping up my Stormchaser Mage to 6/8 and two 5/5 creatures with haste. won 3 matches with that. Pulled a couple good rares but i really liked Sphinx of the Final Word. It does have a bit of a higher CMC but its a total tank with a bunch of 1 or 2 drop instants.
>>
>>44835222
at my LGS an entry prize is 2 packs, but the top 14 got sleeves, top 8 got a deck box and sleeves, along with the boosters.
>>
Came in 2nd out of around 32 with a mardu ally build. Firemantle Mage/Goblin Freerunner spam with Zulaport Cutthroat and Kalastria Healer.
Menace is fucking great.
Pulled a Thought Knot, Kozi's Return and Mystic Gate expedition and got a Kozilek in my prize packs.
>>
File: original.jpg (18KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
18KB, 425x282px
Ended up going 1-2 with Bant colors. Even with kozilek I pulled little to no removal whereas everyone else was getting good cheap removal. Really put a damper on my day
>>
File: IMG_20160117_142224151.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160117_142224151.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
Think that mine had a slight problem...
>>
>>44850635

Shirt man... over here the top 8 get mythic rare foils and 16+ packs all the way to a booster box at the top spot. First prize was a foil Gideon and 36 packs. I got 2 packs at 16th place. Everyone below that got nothing.
>>
>>44850888
yeah it's in some alien language
>>
>>44800075
My friend and I went thinking it was singles, but it turned out it was 2HG. We had no deck cohesion, got our shit slapped handily. That said, we had fun just dicking around and talking to people while we played. Got a promo Reality Smasher, and pulled a Sphinx of the Final Word, but nothing really to back it up.

For shits and giggles, we decided to play the last match with completely different decked we whipped up during a bye - Used Ayli with felidar sovereign to try and pull out the 40 life win. Didn't pull it out, but it was a blast to play.
>>
>>44850773
I got 5 boulder salvos in 2hg
Surge Rocks strong
>>
The usual prereleases here (no 2hg) are geared towards new players and casuals.
It's 1 pack for each win, no top prize but the entry fee is only $20.
>>
got dread defiler for my promo, pulled an ulamog and an omnath from my bfz packs, dark dwellers, mimic, endbringer, and the golgari manland from the ogw packs, was pretty ecstatic about it overall. some neckbeard a few seats down pulled a nissa promo, a chandra, a linvala, a kozilek, and a wasteland. he was having a heart attack the whole time.

went R/G aggro and wrecked fucking face, 4-1-1. so many good creatures and cheap removal in my pool. the 2-3 haste eldrazi and the 3 drop scion producer did some serious work for me, and I was usually able to get out my bombs either right on time or a turn early. didn't bother with anus mana, but my one loss was to basically a mirror who splashed it, so I'm pretty sure it'll be powerful enough to see standard play. either way I had a ton of fun and am regretting not going to another one today.
>>
>>44851370
My LGS didn't do 2HG for whatever reason. I wasn't mad about not getting removal, its how the game goes as they say, pulling kozilek made up for it I say
>>
File: IMG_20160117_221759.jpg (534KB, 1306x980px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160117_221759.jpg
534KB, 1306x980px
First prerelease event I've gone to. Got fourth place and won two packs in the regular prerelease, ran a really shit allies deck and should have went green stompy eldrazi with World Breaker. Teamed up with someone from the previous tournament for Two Headed Giant and came in third because second place winners had a fucking bye and won their other two matches. Won two packs from that placing as well

Pulls felt alright. Foil Eldrazi dudes and full art Island. Promos were Dimensional Infiltrator and Mina and Denn. Ran Mina and Denn RG landfall surge in Two Headed giant and the hydra got roided to the fucking gills.

Wanted a Oath of Gideon for my Nahiri EDH but pulling two kind of left a shit taste in my mouth

8/10, would draft, probably gonna do the sealed event held on Friday because there was still a bunch of leftover boxes. Lotta people pulling Big Daddy Kozi today so hoping for that next Friday.
>>
>>44846656
My camera on my phone is garbage, and I don't feel like putting the effort into actually putting it onto an sd card or whatever.
But the black is offset slightly. It's most obvious on the mana cost and at one edge of the card; it looks like some kind of chinaman fake or something.
>>
got a promo chandra, kalitas and an inverter of truth, then got kozi and a regular chandra in my packs i won
>>
File: 20160117_234704.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160117_234704.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Here's my pull from 2 events, very meh but the games were fun
>>
got Zendikar Resurgent for my promo, asking the owner what he'd take for it and him responding 75c was pretty salt-inducing
>>
>>44845261
>I see it working well against both midrange and control
Too bad neither of those exist in Modern
:^)
>>
>>44833726
Promos were random I think.
I got Crush of Tentacles and Sylvan Advocate as my promos in 2HG

Side-note: Crush is unreal in 2HG, hilariously OP.
>>
>>44854885
Promos are any rare are mythic so yeah.
At least Hedron Alignment can actually be played for its scry, unlike Prism Array which is...two taps in most decks
>>
>>44813312
Captain's Claws on a white ally deck with green counters was so hot.

Also making my plant tokens a 5/6 is so hot.
>>
>>44852260
Four oaths in your pool is cruel.
>>
I went Jund eldrazi aggro and finished 6th place. Got beat by a faster eldrazi deck with more removal than I had. But hey 3-1 is my best prerellease so far so yeah.
>>
>>44803039
>a seeded pack
No seeded packs in prerleases now or in the near future.

>precon deck rare
No seeded rares either. Any rare can be your promo.

>a spindown in terrible colors
Yes, you still get the ugly dice.
>>
File: IMAG0768.jpg (871KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0768.jpg
871KB, 2048x1152px
Could be worse I suppose. I thought about using Drana's Chosen, but soon realised cohort is shit. Went B/R with some colorless for Reality Smasher.
>>
>>44856196
Oath of Nissa is not a cheap card, its a good pull.
>>
>>44857283
Drana's Chosen is the best Cohort in the set, its pretty good.
>>
>>44857299
I usually make a deck around every mechanic in a set, so I'll definitely check it out later when I have more cards. Could be viable in constructed with more ally supports and some lifegain thrown in, but it was pretty useless in my limited pool.
>>
>>44800075
Did three over the weekend. (Two normal and a THG. All 3 rounds. pack per person per win.)

Saturday:
First was just a normal tournament. I pulled a Mythic in my packs for each tournament, this one was the blue Sphinx. I normally play B/W but it had been a while since I played W/U and I wanted to use the Sphinx.

Lost the first round, went back to B/W (splashed just a little bit of blue in there so I could play the Sphinx though). Second round was a draw (went to time. Other guy said after I reported it I could have the win because I was ahead in life and probably would've won but it didn't feel right.) Won the last match.

1-1-1

Saturday THG:
Get paired up with a random guy, who turned out to be pretty cool. We got a long, worked well together, had similar mannerisms, etc. All in all a total blast. Combine pools. I play R/G
(Mythic this time was Chandra and I had a promo Valakut Dragon) and pretty much put up a big beefy wall while he (U/B) pings them with flyers and removal. Only lost the second round because we attacked when we shouldn't have (which I take full responsibility for). Drafted the uncommons afterwards.

2-1-0

Sunday:
Decided to try something different and run three colors. Mythic this time was Omnath, and my promo was... uh.... well, it was Blue and gave card draw when you do damage to a player. Went R/G/U, especially after having fun with R/G previous night.

First round was a draw. I won the first game and was doing well the second until he dropped a 12/12 Eldrazi with a counter ability. Was winning the third game, but it went to time (I was ahead again too).

Won the second and third rounds (the latter much faster than I was expecting). In both got a surprising amount of utility out of the 1-drop in Blue that turns a creature into a 3/3 Elephant with no effect.

2-0-1.

Best part was in my first pack that last tournament, I opened a Nissa and a Rugged Prairie Expedition in my first pack.

Still no Linvala T_T
>>
Rolled 5, 2 = 7 (2d6)

>>44800075
drawing cards is the best strat
>>
>>44857367
I don't think Cohort is intended to be standard constructed.

hence the best cohort cards simply puts 1/1 counters on everyone or the other one poops out a 2/2 a turn.

WOTC is VERY gunshy about making tribal good ever again, they closest they came recently was warriors.
>>
>>44857706
That is also because they can't make a tribal deck viable by printing just one or two playable enablers. Piledriver is legal in Standard right now, but it alone doesn't make the other goblins in the format not crap.

For a tribal strategy to be good there needs to be a critical mass of enablers for the deck, and if there's just one such linear strategy it's almost certainly also the undisputed champion of Standard.

If there are several of them players start complaining that Wizards build the decks for them, so you know.
>>
>>44857800
no, the problem, from a design standpoint, with tribal, at least from WOTC's own mouths is.

"if we make tribal good in standard it becomes too obvious what to play"

basically they don't want to simply print out a creature list for standard for you to play, but they still did shit like Origins Elves and Tarkir Block Warriors.

which was ALMOST exactly what they said was bad about the concept, hell Warriors IS there, the only thing holding it back is the Rhino.
>>
>>44857800
I till don't know why they reprinted pile driver.

with Innistrad coming up there are zero goblins on the horizon.
>>
>>44858016
There were goblins on both Tarkir and Zendikar. But most of all it was probably just a reprint meaning to keep Goblins.dec somewhat cheap for new players.
>>
I went a simple RB eldrazi and took second. I only ever lost to a guy that managed to pull 4 mythics.

Won 7 extra packs, pulled a Nissa, a thought-knot, and a mirrorpool.

Nissa fucking blows this time around. Not even her ult is good
>>
>>44860413
She's mimicking Avenger of Zendikar with her abilities.
Thread posts: 202
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.