[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At any moment you can play any computer RPG game from a large

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: computer-1.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
computer-1.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
At any moment you can play any computer RPG game from a large established library, many of them award-winning games that many praise heaps upon.

So why do you continue to bother with traditional table-top games in spite of the logistics involved in such a past time? Logistics such as getting a group of players together, a GM preparing the game, and all the bookkeeping involved? Not to mention all the limitations of a tabletop had versus what a computer is capable of handling for you?
>>
>>44762726
KEK
>>
>>44762726
They're fun and I prefer to play games with people.
>>
File: Dudud.jpg (24KB, 300x205px) Image search: [Google]
Dudud.jpg
24KB, 300x205px
>>44762726
>>
>>44762726
I have to be social some way.

Also DoW2 doesn't have Dark Eldar
>>
>>44762726

>Not to mention all the limitations of a tabletop had versus what a computer is capable of handling for you?

You mean, my choice between ending one, ending two, and possibly ending three if the designers are feeling generous? Where my options are only as open as the game designers had budgeted time to program in?

Also, here's your (You)
>>
>>44762726

Hi virt, how's college?
>>
>>44762726
Videogames are all shit, without exception. Online multiplayer is even bigger shit. Haven't you ever been to /v/?

But seriously, online gaming is a bunch of no-life faggot kids and single player games just can't capture the freedom and truly adaptive narrative you get with a traditional role-playing game. They can try, they can try sooo hard... but in the end it's just an ILLUSION of choice and an adapting narrative, it's never ever real.
>>
>>44762726
>Not to mention all the limitations of a tabletop had versus what a computer is capable of handling for you?
I know this is babby's first b8, but I'm responding to this.

In what fucking world is a real-life human GM more limiting than a pile of code shunted out by underpaid programmers? No amount of coding will ever cover everything a player wants to do; you need a thinking human GM to handle all the weird, unexpected, out-of-the-box shit you want to do. That's what originally drew me to TTRPGs, and that's what keeps drawing me back despite the atmosphere of Dark Souls, the story of Xenoblade, the gameplay of Dragon's Dogma, DEM GRAFIX of JC3, etc. etc. Actual freedom.
>>
A computer is incapable of handling what I get from tabletop RPGs.
>>
>>44762726
I enjoy computer games. I enjoy tabletop RPGs. I enjoy computer RPGs. Room enough for all, and all are fun for different reasons.
>>
I love video games. I play a lot of them, including online ones with the same people I RP with. However, there is a key difference. While a computer is capable of handling much more complicated maths and mechanics than a tabletop game, they will never have anywhere close to as much freedom of choice.

Even games which are lauded for their scope and variety of options don't come close to the unlimited flexibility of a group of people able to tell a story their own way. It's why TTRPG's will always be relevant, even if they are a niche market.
>>
File: mcnuggets.png (166KB, 444x330px) Image search: [Google]
mcnuggets.png
166KB, 444x330px
>>44762726
>At any moment you can eat any fast food from a large established restaurant, many of them award-winning restaurants that many praise heaps upon.
>So why do you continue to bother with traditional homecooked meals in spite of the logistics involved in such a past time? Logistics such as getting a group of ingredients together, a cook preparing the meal, and all the recipe bookkeeping involved? Not to mention all the limitations of a kitchen had versus what a fast food restaurant is capable of handling for you?
>>
>>44765113
Money, mostly. Going out to eat is expensive.
>>
>>44762726
Because I like my friends, and the logistics of seeing your friends and the logistics of playing an RPG are almost exactly one and the same.
>>
>>44762726

You got yourself confused: CRPGs are the ones that are limited here, not tabletop.
>>
>>44765153
Money, mostly. Buying video games is expensive.
>>
>>44766523

Eh, depends. On console yes, if you want to buy AAA games, yes. But you can get a huge number of really good indie games for a pittance these days, even less during steam sales.
>>
>>44762726
No such thing as a computer roleplaying game. Only thing you can get are sophisticated Multiple Choice computer games. Some very good, but they're not roleplaying and no roleplaying is actually involved.
I'm out.
>>
Because they haven't made the vidya that covers what I want to play.
>>
>>44766523
You cannot download mcnuggets.
>>
What I don't understand is why people still play tabletop 4X instead of PC 4X. Pretty much everyone has a laptop nowadays (there's hot-seat as well), LAN is laughably easy to setup, especially wireless, and the computer does all the calculations and shit instead of you wasting time hunching over the table.
There's also the convenience of the entire interface, with tooltips and shit.
>>
>>44762726
Because I love books, dice and freedom.

Tell me one game outside of the strategy/management genre that doesn't suck.
>>
>>44762726

THE ROBOT UPRISING IS HAPPENING! ABANDON INTERNET!
>>
>>44762726
I can write tabletop games and playtest them with my friends. Without needing to know how to code or [billion other disciplines needed for computer game design]. All I need it pen and paper or a text document.
>>
All those people ignoring that if you put "sage" in the options field, it won't bump the thread.

>>44762726
I enjoy spending time together with my friends, and cooking for them/eating what they've cooked for me.
>Not to mention all the limitations of a computer had versus what a human brain is capable of handling for you?
fixed it for (you)
>>
>>44762726
I like this bait.

I play because computerRPGs tend to not be open enough and are getting progressively more shit.
Fallout which was previously an amazing thing you could play any way you liked is now a nonlinear but very cinematic and very fixed story.
>>
>>44762726
Because roleplaying in a computer game is pointless and autistic since you're never gonna get an organic and spontanious response.
>>
>>44762726
Because I get to be a character I have personally made, with all their history and personality, in an adventure designed by a friend I trust, who can alter the story at any time to adapt to player actions, and where player agency is organic, not controlled by a developer and limited by hardware.
>>
>>44768194
Which is?
>>
>>44762800
Aw, fuck you anon. Now it's stuck in my head.
>>
>>44762726

Because at the current moment the sum total computing power of every electronic device on the planet is about equal to a hundred human brains.

Oh, and the part where you physically go and hang out with other human beings, of course.
>>
ITT modern alienation meets social gaming
>>
>>44762726
Interpersonal contact...plus I've already played most RPGs worth playing.
>>
>>44762726

Because they simply are not equivalent.

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/on_role-playing_games/

>That's not a milkshake captcha.
>>
>>44762726
Because they are fun.
Video Games are also fun, but in a different way.

Sometimes I want my fun to be a little more rigid, so I pick up Dark Souls or WoW.
Sometimes I want my fun more expressive, so I join a game of D&D.
Sometimes I want my fun to include the models I worked so hard to paint and craft to perfection, so I play a wargame.

Having fun is the most important part of any game.
>>
>>44762726
Good computer RPG and good p&p RPG are two very different beasts, because they are laid out with regards to their respective mediums. A p&p attempt at Dark Souls would be about as faithful to what made Dark Souls great as Baldur's Gate 2 was a good game of d&d. So, when I want to pork nasty bosses with my estoc, I sit at my PC, but when I want to roleplay properly, I call my friends and see if everyone can clear up saturday afternoon.
>>
I know it's bait but it's actually a sort of interesting thing to me because me and everyone I play tradgames with grew up with video games. We all played video games long before we played tabletop games but still discovered the latter and found them compelling.

The biggest difference is that in a tabletop RPG the world is fully dynamic because there's an actual human running and expanding it as necessary. Likewise for all the characters. That really makes for a qualitatively different experience than a video game. I like some computer RPGs a lot too but they scratch a wholly different itch.
>>
>>44766523
>traditional games are cheap
>>
>>44762726
Because you can make your own story with your own cast of characters about literally anything.
>>
>>44762930
They are still a valid medium, like books. Each has it's merits.
>>
File: cut53.jpg (304KB, 740x1071px) Image search: [Google]
cut53.jpg
304KB, 740x1071px
>>44771091
>rpg share thread, or any number of free systems like GURPS Lite.
>pack of d6 from corner store or looted from board games, possibly even looted from board games at someone else's yard sale.

Not just cheap, but it can also be free.
>>
>>44768283
I don't have a laptop. My best friend and oldest player doesn't have a laptop. My gamer friend sold it to finance his new gaming PC. The guy who always play rogue-types doesn't have a laptop.
Plus I like books and dice. Actually, all of my playgroup like throwing dice. Pushing a button just isn't the same thing. Same for character sheets. A physical sheet doesn't feel the same as a virtual one. Plus everybody havong a laptop is taking the risk of losing your player's attention over their Facebook feeds or whatever else.
Are these enough reasons?
>>
>>44768283
Some of us like leaving our warrens once in a while. Game night is an excuse to go out and socialize.
>>
>>44766913
>Eh, depends.
A PC is going to be more expensive than an RPG. There is no question over this.
>>
>>44762726
Tabletop games are much more social, I like to roleplay, and the rules are flexible, as opposed to programmed restrictions.

But really what limitations does tabletop have compared to a computer? You're using your imagination and creativity. Anything is possible.
>>
>>44771331
Making a faithful simulation of non-social real life stuff is easier for a computer, because once the code is written all you have to do is input the data.
While if you want the equivalent in PnP yout DM needs a PhD in physics.
Also the computer is never gonna forget any rule (theoretically).
But apart from that, I can't think of anything. And it isn't even that big a limitation, compared to the limitless potential of human imagination.
>>

That's pretty much all the fun of GMing right there. I love worldbuilding. I love seeing where my players take things. I love being thrown off guard by what they choose to do and how the world I've made would respond to their actions and choices. There's no videogame that even comes close to the stuff I can do or create in tabletop games.
>>
>>44771400
>Making a faithful simulation of non-social real life stuff [...] you want the equivalent in PnP yout DM needs a PhD in physics.

Autists actually believe this.
>>
>>44762726
>So why do you continue to bother with traditional table-top games in spite of the logistics involved in such a past time?

PC/Console RPGs are, no matter how much variety is available, scripted. And the MMO variety are pretty much 100% min maxing power gamers that don't roleplay.

The only time the electronic version might be better than tabletop is straight table top strategy games. But then that means most people have access to the same library of units from the beginning and will use the same strategies and tactics from the beginning. And there's really no fun in losing in a competitive multiplayer game, where you can still have fun losing a tabletop game against your friend.
>>
>>44771400
>While if you want the equivalent in PnP yout DM needs a PhD in physics.

You can't be serious.

The reason a computer needs to be programmed for physics is because a computer is incapable of intuitively understanding physics.

A human can understand that gravity has an effect on you simply through their experience of not flying off the Earth as we swing around the sun at ~70,000 MPH.

A computer without that programming is a tabula rasa and incapable of intuitive learning through experience.
>>
>>44762726

>Tabletop limited
>Computer not limited

Good bait thread, 6/10 got a response out of me
>>
>>44762800
Tunak thank tunak, doo dah dah dah
>>
>>44771091

d20pfsrd

GURPS Lite

Literally all you need to play a TTRPG is your mind, some paper, a pen and some dice.
>>
>>44762726

gr8 b8 m8 but f8 sez i'm l8 - can't rel8
>>
>>44772332
>Literally all you need to play a TTRPG is your mind, some paper, a pen and some dice.
This.

You could really make things up as you go with regards to combat rules and such.

Just make it a D6 system for skill checks.

If you roll a 1-3, you fail with a 1 catastrophic, if you roll a 4-6 you succeed with 6 a "nat 20". Or just do the same for a d20.

Same for combat. Roll to hit, roll for damage.

The rest of it you can make up.
>>
>>44762726
I know this is a bait thread but back when I was in a Pathfinder game I often wondered why I shouldn't just play Diablo. No one ever roleplayed so it was just a 4 hour dungeon combat.
>>
>>44762726
Never as good for roleplaying

Never as good for dungeon crawling
>>
>>44772445

I can one-up this

When we had free days in my band class in high school, my friend and I would play our own weird version of D&D. We had no dice so we found a coin to flip for certain things, and found a popsicle stick which we wrote numbers on and cut into pieces, which we would add up for skill checks and such. I was the DM and he played a Druid who went around doing weird shit and eventually befriended some vampires or something, I don't remember exactly. We did that 5 or 6 times until the year ended.

So yea, it doesn't take any money >>44771091
>>
>>44762726
>So why do you continue to bother with traditional table-top games in spite of the logistics involved in such a past time? Logistics such as getting a group of players together, a GM preparing the game, and all the bookkeeping involved?

The logistics are trivial when you know what youre doing.

Also you cant do near the stuff you can in PnP.
>>
>>44762726
Because they are static thing's that do not change, evolve or deviate in the least, they do not react to you, but to sets of pre-determined choices.
>>
>>44762726
I already played all the good ones, and new ones aren't coming. So, moved to tabletop.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.