[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rebalancing Rangers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Elf_ranger.jpg (87KB, 780x600px) Image search: [Google]
Elf_ranger.jpg
87KB, 780x600px
What changes to the ranger should be made to make it a viable class in 5e?
>>
>>44738065
Go back to 3.5.
>>
>>44738065
There was a great article that said that the Beastmaster was bad because the familiar was extremely fragile, and that buffing the familiar's abilities (death saving throws, further HP and AC improvements) is necessary to make it good.

So what about the other ranger path?
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 258x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 258x306px
>>44738121
>3.5
>not a primary caster
>viable
>>
>>44738065
Hunter Ranger is fine.

Beastmaster is simple:
>Beast follows the action you commanded it to until you tell it to stop or do something else
>HP is 6 * ranger level instead of 4 * ranger level
>outright state that it's proficient with light and medium armor as barding
>7th-level feature gives the companion magical attacks
>your proficiency bonus adds to the companion's save DCs for wolf bite, poison, and so on
>>
>>44738121

WOW what a witty remark, you clearly know your editions.
>>
>>44739808

>Beast follows the action you commanded it to until you tell it to stop or do something else

So you want to give a PC an entire extra turn?
>>
>>44739984

With the shitty pet? Sure. It's not like their damage is reach Paladin, Sorlock, Battlemaster, or Green-Flame Blade Rogue levels.
>>
>>44740925
>Shitty pet

Seriously people, actually PLAY and try to USE the class you bitch about before you actually comment, would you?
>>
>>44738065
Take the class out back, shoot it, and rewrite it from scratch from a post-fans-have-actually-played-our-final-product perspective.
>>
>>44740925

>Green-flame rogue

How is that OP? It's a pretty good spell but I don't see the OPness
>>
>>44744286
Due to the way cantrips scale (with total character level) and the way rogues deal damage (one big pool of sneak attack damage per turn), green flame blade is a flat damage increase with no downsides if you get access to it.

I wouldn't call it OP, but it's definitely The Most Optimal Way to Play a Melee Rogue at this point
>>
>>44738065
Dont powergame? Realize while it is a hunter that means his damage was scaled back to give him utility. If you want great damage you play a fighter. You cant have both.
>>
>>44738121
>Go back to 4e.
fixed that for you
>>
>>44738121
/thread
>>
>>44738065

>Let them have Great-Weapon fighting style.
>Pets scale better, get magical attacks at level 7, they act on their own initiative.
>Add Spell-less Ranger that actually has decent abilities
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.