[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to make Ogres threatening as in main or secondary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: ogrel_by_alexalexandrov-d4e7k7g.jpg (460KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
ogrel_by_alexalexandrov-d4e7k7g.jpg
460KB, 750x600px
Is it possible to make Ogres threatening as in main or secondary villains like Orcs? How would you do it?
>>
>>44717272

Make them rapists. They don't just want to kill you, they want to pervert the pure human bloodline and breed abominations.
>>
>>44717272
A Single ogre can threaten a hamlet.
A Pair of Ogres can threaten a village
A Gang of Ogres can threaten a township
An army of Ogres can threaten a nation.
A kingdom of Ogres threatens the world.

Don't let Ogres make kingdoms.
>>
>>44717309
ogre cock would kill the girl no joke there was a dumb cunt who fucked a horse and died from internal bleeding and ogres are even larger and with larger dicks
>>
>>44717272
I guess it depends partly on the system. In Caster Edition, it's difficult to make them a credible threat (though Ogre Magi have potential).

That being said, much of what makes an antagonist threatening and/or memorable is in the non-rule stuff you do to make them interesting. Give their lair atmosphere. Give them a war-chant. Have your NPCs react to and discuss them in ways that informs their menace. Don't say "you see an ogre." Say "you see a shaggy, hulking brute as tall as a house. It is adorned with the helmeted skulls of a dozen or more dead warriors and it wields a small tree with the same ease you would swing a wooden sword. With saliva dripping from its fanged maw, it roars and charges toward you."
>>
>>44717421
Believe this man. He has firsthand knowledge of the discomfort one feels when trying to take a too-huge dick.
>>
>>44717272
WoW actually has some neat stuff with their Ogres in the current expansion.
They're still mostly big, dumb brutes, but they were unified under a single leader and dominated the orcs, who were all still in small clans. They've got access to a lot of resources, and their magic seems to be stronger than orc magic. They've also got a shitload of powerful artifacts.
They're stereotypical ogres, but unified they didn't have any threats until the Iron Horde rolled around
>>
There is a scenario in Brazil where a Bugbear united all globinoids in one army, he is said to be the avatar of the goblin god. In that world, the goblins have destroied the elven capital and are rulling half of the world... You could do the same with an ogre... a cunning one, evil one. That have a slave army formed by all that is wicked...
>>
>>44717535
> try having them do anything to the wizard 100 feet in the air
> or the invisible one
> or the one who just teleported past them

If you think the wizard killing them is the biggest worry, you're why people don't think wizards are overpowered.
>>
>>44717522
>>
>>44717272
Everquest Ogres

In Eq Ogres are big dumb brutes because they suffer a curse laid upon them by the gods.

Ogres were a race of intelligent humanoids created by Rellos Zek, the god of war, along with orcs, goblins, giants, and several other warlike peoples. The nation of ogres, in service to their god, gathered up all of his creations and made war on the entire war. The creations of Zek were the strongest in the world and counted among them several bright individuals. Zek, pleased with the actions of his creations, began overseeing the war himself, and when the other gods banded together to stop him, Zek taught the ogres the necessary magics for breaching into the planes of the gods themselves. Several minor gods were killed in the ensuing conflict, but ultimately the alliance of gods prevailed. And so the creations of Zek were punished. The giants saw their numbers reduced and were scattered to the far places of the world, doomed to extinction. The orcs saw their society and civilization destroyed, doomed to endless infighting and internal power struggles. The ogres, brightest of Zek's creations, were sapped of their intelligence, cursed into being dumb brutes, never to lead great armies again. No one knows what punishment befell the goblins, though it is said to be the harshest of all. Zek, for his part was bound and chained, cast out of his plane and left to suffer alone for all of eternity.
>>
>>44717272
In a setting that I was working on Ogres were big and strong, but they were about as intelligent as an above average human. The catch? No intellectual drift. There is no such thing as an ogre genius or an ogre retard. They all learn at a decent pace but because their are no extremely smart individuals to jump start technology and innovation they develop a slow but steady pace. The ogres were a nation bent towards conquest and sought to unify the entire world under their banner.

The ogres had a greco-roman style in terms of dress, architecture, and technology compared to the more late renaissance humans, and had a strong alliance with the elves.

Ogres also used a caste system based on height: the taller a race was, the more respected they were. Taller people were physically closer to the gods after all. Tying into this was the ogres' belief that they were created by the giants who were in turn created by their gods to shape the world were finer details were required.
>>
>>44718280
I might have to swipe that and incorporate that into my setting. Should catch my normal group off guard.
>>
ogre mages aren't a seperate race of ogre, but are unlocked by a ritual sacrifice of a dozen virgins

One ritual will convert every ogre who can see the ritual.
>>
>>44718365
I'd be honored.

>>44718280
A point about the elven-ogre alliance, in the setting an elf didn't die, they slowly hardened and took root as trees. The elves didn't give two shits about government or land rights as long as their groves were tended to and they could police and rule themselves. The ogres, seeing that elves grow into beings that can rival even some giants in size honored the elves and allowed them equal standing in their society.
>>
>>44717272
one ogre gets clever, he teaches ogres ogrish tactics
youre fucked
>>
>>44718385
>dozen virgins

so I'm guessing that means there would be no ogre magis in the setting
>>
>>44718724
>all babies are immediately raped
>all unicorns are violent anarchists
>>
>>44717272
Ogres are not dumb, ponderous brutes; they are in fact quite knowledgeable in the martial arts.

If you are playing caster edition D&D, swap out the ogre's club for a halberd, and swap out Toughness and Weapon Focus for some Tome of Battle feats.
>>
>>44717272
Ogre lich rising ogre zombies.
>>
>>44720574
This thread has inspired me to have a level 1 adventure centered around an evil Druid ogre attacking the players village.
>>
File: ogrekin.jpg (41KB, 573x505px) Image search: [Google]
ogrekin.jpg
41KB, 573x505px
>>44717309
Basically this. It's one of the things Pathfinder did, and I actually like.

>>44717421
You're imply a lack of magic and perverse rites to ready their slaves for breeding.

Pathfinder also has ogrekin which I do sort of like but feel they waste by making ogres shun them. Basically, they're horrifically mutated freaks that come from the coupling of humanoids and ogres, that all come with a positive and negative deformity in addition to +6 Str, +4 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha, and +3 Natural Armor. These beneficial deformities range from oversized limps, a vestigial limb or even a vestigial twin that juts out of the ogre's back to give it all-around vision, while the negative ones range from deformed hands that keep them from wielding weapons, obesity, to stunted legs.

Basically, Hills Have Eyes-style mutant freaks that are general left to inbreed with one another much as the ogres do. And in all honesty, ogre 'families' probably would use 'em to break in female captives as Sonny-Boy gets the girls ready for Big Daddy.
>>
>>44719200
Swap out Weapon Focus for Power Attack and you've already made the Ogre 10x more of a threat. Replace his shitty greatclub with any two-handed martial weapon and you got a real problem on your hands.
>>
Make them RuneQuest ogres.

> These ogres resemble Cornish ogres. They are human-sized and formed, though they have sharp, carnivore-like teeth. They eat all forms of sentient beings, and are essentially malignant. They are very strong, and try to fit into human society. Naturally, ogres must keep their real identities secret, and indulge in their cannibalistic tendencies only in secret or when none can gainsay them. They can appear very handsome or beautiful and are rare.
>>
>>44717272
In my setting, Ogre is just the title for Orc chieftains.
>>
>>44720911
>Basically this. It's one of the things Pathfinder did, and I actually like.

That's a smart decision from the same company that constantly panders to Tumblrinas with their cast of strong-black-trans-feminist iconic characters and NPC's.
Two fingers in the SJW-pink, and one in the edgelord-stink.
>>
>>44720911
>>44717309

I like my ogres to be cannibals rather than exclusively rapists. Like, sure, they can be rapists and cannibals at the same time but more emphasis on the cannibalism.
>>
>>44720803
I predict a wipe. Baseline ogres are bad news at L1, add levels to that? Better off using your druid ogre as the big bad for the first few levels. Make the first game an attack by a swarm of woodland critters the ogre sicced onto the town instead. Wolf packs work well for this, but be sure to add some NPC town guards to get slaughtered and spread the numbers out, a wolf pack of decent size would be a serious threat at L1 also.
>>
>>44721355
>>44720803
Have him use carrion-eating animals like wolves, vultures and rats. He decimates villages, eats the population, and his "flock" picks the bones dry afterwards.
>>
File: Ruric Thar.jpg (176KB, 620x454px) Image search: [Google]
Ruric Thar.jpg
176KB, 620x454px
For reasons lost to the mists of time, ogres as a race have a strong hatred for magic in all forms. So great is their shared racial hatred, that they seem to disrupt the very flow of magic itself in the areas around them. Though one ogre may only cause a minor disruption, larger and larger groups can cause catastrophic backfires on anyone attempting to utilize magical power within their sight. Currently a powerful ogre lord is attempting to unify various ogre clans in an effort to launch a crusade against the civilized world to wipe out the producers of magic once and for all.
>>
>>44717421
How do you even know what size ogre dick is?
>>
>>44717272
Same way you always make a fiercely independent, somewhat dumb race a threat, unite the clans under a powerful charismatic leader. Use the mongols as your inspiration. It isn't that much of a stretch to have a few extremely cunning ogre lords who hold council and follow behind the strongest and most intelligent one.

Once they build a few stone forts and start up a basic economy then they become a contender for power
>>
>>44717614
I think he means the movie, maybe one of the many awful cuts.
>>
>>44717497
too bad that kind of cool shit comes along with horrible stuff like "time traveling orcs"
>>
Make the Ogres act like Locust swarm
Lack of food drives Ogres to band and start attack villages, ogre gangs meet other gangs and become bigger and bigger.
The swarming effect causes Ogres to become bigger, increased muscle mass. aggressive and hungry leading to cannibalism and complete destruction of settlements.
>>
What's the difference between Ogres and Giants?
>>
>>44717272
make them smart and give a not!Genghis khan to lead them
>>
>>44726348
ogres = big and dumb and want to murder people for no reason
giants = big and not dumb and have more complicated agendas
>>
>>44726348
Ogre's look slightly different from humans
size range from slightly bigger than humans to as tall as elephants
are stronger in proportion to their size
depicted as simple minded or violent
Giants
are really big humans
mostly intelligent
no deformities
not always violent
>>
>>44717606
I mean the wizard just avoiding them doesn't really help the citizens the ogres are murdering.
>>
>>44726348
Giants are usually loners, ogres live in tribes in most settings
>>
>>44726348
Different species.

There are also lots of different kinds of giants which are generally defined by their preferred environment. Ogres are a more singular race.

Though ogres and hill giants are on parr intelligence wise giants only get smarter from there.

Also ogres are cannibals.
>>
>>44717272
up their intellect
>>
>>44717272
Make them smart
>>
An intelligent Ogre is a terrifying prospect.
>>
I'm just shooting this as I am thinking about it so it might be shit. For that I apologize in advance. Make the ogres seemingly stupid, or whose actions are kinda wishy washy in terms of motivation, or make them a bit of a political force or a bit of both.

>>44717339
As this anon said in his post, Ogres are dangerous and can seriously fuck your shit up, so make them seem like it, but also subtle with their actions seemingly having no correlation. I advise you make them a secondary villain, who's using said situation of whatever is going on in your setting as an opportunity to get what they want, as making the ogres a main group of villains or antagonists seem too predictable. Make them do small things like maybe stealing a cow or two, setting up an unreasonably close scout to maybe a village, or them seemingly just squating in a ruined village. As time goes on they do more odd behaviors, like setting up camp near caves which they can use retreat in a moment's notice in a dark area full of traps, you know, things like that. Eventually have them actively do aggressive things like dot them more around to the point where they can attack PCs if they get too close in fear of letting something for theirs be revealed. Make them strong of course, like if they hit you, make them give you pain, like a moderate swat removes over half of your health. This reinforces that while they're doing shady business obviously, you're far too strong to do anything but watch.

Maybe learn a bit more by going to towns where they talk about Ogres attacking caravans, and stealing their shit, and whatever. At this point maybe give them a reason, like they're feuding with a stronghold or settlement ways away on the other side of the setting and making sure they get the upper hand and advantage in any way possible by dragging everything else down with them. Solve it with a meeting of diplomacy, or indirectly aid one of the ogre strongholds or clans, or whatever.

I hope this is okay.
>>
I prefer Ogres being more solitary, rare creatures.

At least in my settings; Ogres are trolls who lose their healing powers and extreme metabolism. So they are more rare, not really organized at all.
>>
>>44717309
That's what orcs do. They even have a god that tells them to do it
>>
How scary would be intelligent and magic abled Ogres?
I think the only draw back they have would be navigating certain terrains
>>
File: Ogre_Mage.jpg (110KB, 640x460px) Image search: [Google]
Ogre_Mage.jpg
110KB, 640x460px
>>44727973
I dunno, how scary are Oni?
>>
>>44717421
This is why Ogres kidnap the human men and get the Ogre women to rape them. Ogres believe in equal opportunity cuckolding
>>
>>44726348

Off-hand an Ogre is bigger than a Human to the point of being a small giant(7-15 feet)

A giant is a giant and towers over an Ogre(20+ feet, 100+ possible.)
>>
>>44717272

Make them Xanth Ogres.

Xanth Ogres are roughly on par with dragons in terms of power; they're strong enough to uproot trees by pulling at them.
>>
I've been trying to settle on a role for Ogres in my homebrew, a lot of this helps.

(Though Settling on an actual shape for them is hard, there are a lot of good options)
>>
File: futuramasnusnu.jpg (21KB, 450x337px) Image search: [Google]
futuramasnusnu.jpg
21KB, 450x337px
>>44728356
>>
You could make him a big scary bad guy that appears to be a compitent warlord/white color crimimal
But secretly theres a goblin who lives ontop of his head inside his crown or something
>>
>>44717272
You need someone to tell you how to make a race of 10 foot tall, muscular, barbaric creatures threatening?
>>
>>44731608
White collar**
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.