[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG: Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 374
Thread images: 33

File: s4384.jpg (154KB, 600x821px) Image search: [Google]
s4384.jpg
154KB, 600x821px
Manland edition

Favorite manland?
Think the new ones are going to see play?
>>
"Man" lands? Seriously? Holy shit you fucking misogynists just don't stop do you.
>>
mishra's factory
>>
The eldrazi one
>>
>>44654962
>Manland
I believe the correct term is "creatureland"
>>
>>44654962
None of the new manlands are good
>>
Going to a fairly big modern event on Sunday. Should I play complete stompy or incomplete ug infect? My infect deck is missing 1 inkmoth, 1 pendelhaven, might or old krosas and twisted image SB. I could replace krosas with main board dismember, mutagenic growth and/or wild defiance.

Don't know much about the meta.
>>
Are you fucking kidding me? It's not more expensive than Thoughtseize? The price gouging is insane
>>
>>44655199

Never buy during a market panic
>>
>>44655123
Might is a shitty card anyway, I only ever run 1 of it in my 75.
As for the missing inkmoth and pendelhaven, you really can't do without those and twisted image is your best way to deal with Zoo and any deck with Skite like tron post board
Stompy is shit though so my advice is don't go unless you just want to have fun
>>
I am interested in making Loam Pox since its fun to play and I have the lands and 4 life from the loam. Is it a decent deck? How does it fair vs a fair deck (BGx, delver etc) meta? A burn /affinity meta?
>>
>>44655368
Play it in legacy, you get access to much cooler cards and it's more fun in the format
>>
>>44654962
Question from the previous thread were is the best place for buying cards to construct a legacy deck?

Are there any guides or recommended websites?
>>
>>44654996
>>44655034
Autism, now would you like some ointment for that nasty butn I just gave you. /thread
>>
>>44655199
>tfw I ordered a playset for $40 this morning minutes after the full spoiler
>>
>>44655450
Most legacy decks are comprised of lands and then modern printed cards so buying them on any online store is fine. As for the lands, ebay is a pretty shitty bet because fakes exist and can't really be stopped so buying from online retailers is the safest way
What were you thinking of playing? ANT and Dredge here
>>
>>44655199

What? What card?
>>
>>44655526
Im constructing a snake tribal for some games with my friends, most of them arent meta gamers though
>>
I thought i was going to be able to take my time buying affinity but i guess its cards are getting jacked up too.
>>
>>44655557

Says there on the pic familia
>>
>>44655199

The fuck? Should I be selling mine now? Didn't realize this uncommon was so much.
>>
>>44655592
Wait until after banlist to buy cards senpai
>>44655612
If you aren't using them, yes
>>
And I'm just here waiting to see if CoCo will jump
>>
>>44655671
Probably won't/. Podless pod isn't being played much anymore.
>>
>>44655671

Even elves aren't that much of a thing anymore. Naya CoCo is the best CoCo variant right now, and only a handful play the deck.

Honestly the meta will probably stabilize itself after January 18, everyone's crazy over ban speculations and the new Eldrazi deck, coupled with Oath price speculations
>>
>>44654724
Second match against Abzan Company. Nothing super interesting, 2 for 1'd his late dorks with electrolyze in the first game then combo'd on turn 5ish. Second game won with Free Wins: the Card and combo'd on 5.
>>
>>44655368
its fun
>>
Tron sucks

Death to tron
>>
File: Modern Tier 1&2.jpg (175KB, 921x1457px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Tier 1&2.jpg
175KB, 921x1457px
What competitive tier decks do you play?
>>
>>44655911
I feel ya. I get paired with that shit up to 3 times a night. Wish this fotm shit would pass already
>>
Can someone fill me in on this new hot new eldrazi meme?
>>
>>44655199

Could someone who's played recently explain why IoK is now $30? What happened?
>>
>>44655911
Fucking seriously, how can a deck compete with turn 3 karn by following an actual mana curve?
>>
>>44656018

Affinity
>>
>>44656018
not on list

went 4-1 again with mardu midrange today, and 3-2 earlier.

lost to some u/w shackle control with batterskull and consecrated sphinx and wurmcoil, was confused.

beat affinity 2-0
beat bogles 2-1
beat jeskai ascendancy 2-1
lost to uw^ 1-2
beat some red/white kikijiki prison deck 2-1
>>
>>44656018
Jund and grixis twin with no tarn

>Tfw prices exploded the day after you decided to bite the bullet and buy them
>>
>>44656070
Eldrazi means that if you play a deck that doesn't kill by turn 3/4, you're an idiot.
>>
>>44656070
Some black deck that mainly plays Eldrazi. It's a worse Tron.
>>
>>44654962
>That signature

I love the DeChamps squiggle.
>>
>>44656070

It's just Tron with early game discard and chump blockers. People flock to it because its made of cheap bulk uncommons and rares.

Now everyone wants to play it, columnists are hyping it up to sell their surplus of Zendikar vs Eldrazi and Eye of Ugins from Modern Masters.

But for real though it eats BGx and most fair decks
>>
>>44656089
It's a very good card. Rip something like Summer Bloom, Pestermite, or other keys to victory for B with no life loss. You also get to see their hand. It's 30 dollarydoos because Wizards didn't reprint it outside of that gay ass 80 dollar Modern event deck.
>>
>>44656089

A combination of the new Bx Eldrazi deck and people's frustrated expectations of a reprint in OGW manipulating the prices
>>
>>44656095
By using my favorite sideboard tech: Runed Halo
>>
>>44656190
I play Esper and I have a couple of runed halos in my sb but Halo is not that great vs. Tron. You play Halo for decks that are all-in on one specific way to kill you as a way to punish people for not interacting.

Tron just ticks down Karn to nuke Halo and then goes back to what it was already doing.

Halo is pretty gr8 against Infect or Boggles though. Have you ever lived the dream and cast Halo against Boggles when they have a 17/17 lifelinking trample boggle in play? The salt is amazing.
>>
>>44655199
>See this
>Look at unopened Modern Event Deck that I'm giving to my friend for his birthday
I feel like an utter shit for even considering not giving it to him.

I bought the thing for $40 when my store was unloading them. Now there's a single card in it that costs almost as much as I paid for the deck itself.

It's been several years since Mythic was a deck, which was more or less the start of this insane card pricing with Baneslayer. The followup to Mythic was the whole thing with Jace. Wizards has had more than enough time to show us they give a fuck; they don't, this behavior is indicative of their pattern of apathy.

Tell me why you guys still give money to Wizards. I don't care if you play casually or cheap formats, I want to know how most of you continue to justify playing competitive decks. I quit in NPH; I only Cube now - it's a 360 card deck that I can always improve on. My local store owner has told me that a ridiculous amount of talk now is about card prices.
>>
>>44656177
>people's frustrated expectations of a reprint in OGW manipulating the prices
When has Wizards ever reprinted a high-demand card (regardless of rarity) in a block set? I think it is literally never. They've shown they're willing to just outright reprint Mythics in Felidar Sovereign and Dragonmaster Outcast - real fucking useful Wizards.

They always show up as one-ofs or two-ofs like Remand or Inquisition in some retarded Duel Deck or something like that.
>>
Will the new uncounterable counterspell with surge be good for control? For twin?
>>
>>44656521

Might replace counterflux, otherwise not really
>>
>>44656521
Just play Counterflux.
>>
>>44656435
I play a T3 rogue deck that wasn't too expensive to put together. However, I already owned IoK, so I probably couldn't have built it if I didn't have a pretty good existing cardbase.
>>
>>44656503

Thoughtseize comes to mind, fetches too
>>
>>44656435

At this point, I think most people just build the best deck they can with available cards they have. I wanted to play affinity, but everything's so over the top I decided to just build CoCO elves since I have Heritage Druids, Ezuri, Archdruids and other Elves. The fetches and CoCo are standard legal so they were quite easy to procure
>>
>>44656578
That's fair.

I'm just moaning. But even with these examples you have to admit they're not doing it nearly fast enough. They have one solid reprint/cycle per BLOCK. That was a year. Now it would be once every 8 months, but that's not the best timeframe.
>>
File: 1451807780469.gif (301KB, 136x240px) Image search: [Google]
1451807780469.gif
301KB, 136x240px
im new to this game and have a few questions to ask for anyone who cares to help
>what are some good general deck ideas?
>i was thinking a black assassinate deck consisting of debuffs, instant destorys etc with lifelink? would that be a shit deck
> any good online guides? ones ive seen say the same things like pick a theme and stay with it

my favorite card right now is rat pack but as i said im pretty new. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
>>
>>44656521
Esperfag here.

The surgecounterspell is not good. I'd rather play Deprive over it, and Esper already runs Logic Knot as its 2 mana counterspell.
>>
File: Spell Pierce.jpg (48KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Spell Pierce.jpg
48KB, 312x445px
>>44656095

Pic related familia. Negate also works.
>>
Working on a UR Blitz deck because I don't care about winning, which Kiln Fiends are the best Kiln Fiends?
>>
>>44656704

Go look up budget modern deck articles.

In general since you're new you might want to pick up something easy to play, linear and cheap. Try to avoid weird combo decks and control decks for now. Get acquainted with archtypes in your local game store.

I high recommend Mono Green Stompy. The deck consists of common and uncommons and a couple of rares
>>
>>44654962
Good manlands:

Mishra's Factory in general
Mutavault in tribal
Inkmoth Nexus in infect
Creeping Tar Pit in good decks

Everything else is shit
>>
>>44656760

Monastery Swiftspear
Nivmagus Elemental
the new Stormchaser Mage in OGW

Wee dragonauts, but he's outdated
>>
>>44656781
Tar Pit dies to bolt.
>>
>>44656618
>I think most people just build the best deck they can with available cards they have
I think that is certainly the case for Modern. I got in on the ground floor for Modern; I bought the entirety of Living End including Fulminators for somewhere in the range of $30 not including the Scars duals, which I already had.

My issue with this situation is attrition. Who can possibly enter the format if they have nothing? Every time I see, "I want to get into X" I just think, "You poor fucker; you have no idea what you're getting into." I'd rather Wizards just condemn Modern like Legacy instead of leaving it on this brutal life support. People who demanded a Modern Pro Tour were delusional, it was essentially all the haves pointing at the have-nots showing how they can have fun while the others can't possibly enter the format.

Like you, I just had decks that took little to convert to Modern. Tron, Elves, Affinity, Merfolk, Burn - all these decks cost nearly nothing at one point. Now they're a mortgage payment.
>>
>>44655450

Any online retailer will offer similar prices, but they're the typical retail inflation there.
Ebay and CardShark will get you cards cheaper since it's peer-to-peer, but you got to pay your due diligence on the seller.
>>
File: 1386045525455.gif (19KB, 486x311px) Image search: [Google]
1386045525455.gif
19KB, 486x311px
'It turned out to be problematic developmentally.'

Fuck that, especially after they left it out of MM15 so 'they could put it in OGW'. Laziest bullshitting I've seen in a while.

I don't even want the IoKs myself, but it's still annoying.
>>
File: 1414302231143.jpg (69KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1414302231143.jpg
69KB, 680x510px
Post your reaction when Innocent Blood gets reprinted in Shadows.
>>
>>44656704

Black removal is good, though Assassinate is a bad card. Try these instead:

Spot removal:
Murderous Cut
Grasp of Darkness
Dismember
Hero's Downfall
Doom Blade
Go for the Throat
Ultimate Price
Terror
Vendetta

Board wipes:
Languish
Mutilate
Damnation[expensive $$$]
Black Sun's Zenith
Drown in Sorrow

Lifelink:
Vampire Nighthawk
Batterskull[expensive $$$]
>>
File: 1452215959743.jpg (815KB, 1000x855px) Image search: [Google]
1452215959743.jpg
815KB, 1000x855px
Why do people play this shit game over Force of Will? I tried playing Magic again recently and whenever someone got flooded or screwed on mana I had to wonder why I was playing this shit game.
>>
>>44656793

Should I go for a Temur Battle Rage/Distortion Strike/Apostle's Blessing shell, or play it like a regular Tempo deck?
>>
>>44656889
If decks never had to worry about flood/screw then basically every deck would have gigantic mana curves which fundamentally changes the way the game works.
>>
>>44656884
You forget black's best wipe

Consume the Meek
>>
>>44656896
Just go for the glass canon builds. You can even splash black for Death's shadow and those pay 2 life cantrips like probe and that cycling guy from future sight. These sort of decks dont need disruption more than they need information and cantripping through your pumps
>>
>>44656889
Only reason I'm in this thread is because there's no FoW thread up.

Ordered 2 Vingolf boxes and I'm waiting for them to arrive.
>>
>>44656889
There's a concept in gaming and social life called "stickiness". It's hard to stop doing sticky things because you've invested so much money and time into it that it would be stupid to drop it all and start on something else, even though it may prove to be vastly superior. Stickiness also exists in the form of established community, you simply need people to play with.

WoW probably owes much of its success to being the first high-end MMORPG and thus very sticky, all the MOBAs are sticky, Magic and YuGiOh are sticky whereas Pokemon is the complete opposite of sticky. Marriage is probably the stickiest thing on the planet. Have you seen people in abusive relationships - mental problems but also stickiness.
>>
>>44656889
I played FoW for a little bit, and Aggro was the only viable strategy.
Then the red regalia got printed, and I sold everything.
>>
>>44656883
I hope so
my foil odyssey copies need some play
they wont though cause one mana to kill the big eldrazi makes the standard kiddies cry
>>
>>44656889

Isn't Force of Will just jap MTG, with dumbed-down mana fixing and kawaii anime waifus?
>>
>>44657028
Pretty much. 40 card minimum deck, and a deck of at least 10 cards for mana, so you don't miss land drops.
Caught on for a little while, and then everyone stopped caring. You used to be able to get like 3 rares in a single pack.
>>
>>44657019
>they wont though cause one mana to kill the big eldrazi makes the standard kiddies cry
I don't know about that. Those people who love their Eldrazi are probably not so stupid to not have a couple extra spawn around to be proof against edicts.

That being said, watching people cast Kozilek's Predator followed by Emrakul's Hatcher in a format with fucking Day of Judgement I guess Wizards would be thinking exactly what you said.
>>
I haven't been checking in on MTG stuff for a while but WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED WITH EYE OF UGIN
>>
>>44657086
Eye of Ugin
Eldrazi Temple
Grove of the Burnwillows
Inquisition of Kozilek
Spellskite

All went completely apeshit in the past couple days. The first two make sense.

Buy your Mayor of Avabrucks now kids.
>>
>>44657086

new meme deck made it spike
>>
>>44657086
Reminder that Fist of Suns is still falling in price after being played as a joke in a PTQ about two years ago.
>>
File: bananas.jpg (24KB, 369x434px) Image search: [Google]
bananas.jpg
24KB, 369x434px
>>44657135

>mfw grove is now a $90 card
>>
>>44656704
Play 8rack, it's the only semi competitive pack rat deck
>>
>>44657135
Teeg last week too.

Grove is probably just demand and low set opening. Inq is obviously the no reprint panic. Skite is demand.

Modern season specs are a shit.
>>
>>44655526
Grixis/rug delver, Shardless and ANT reporting in. 3 volc 3 underground sea 3 trop 1 bayou, totally worth it.
>>
>>44657236
Haha that's fucking hilarious. I thought it was ONLY $60.

Someone should be writing their doctorate thesis on this shit. "The pitfalls of deregulation; when the government throws the free market to the wolves: A story of Magic cards."
>>
>>44656828
That's why i support chinamen fakes, if wizards printed like yu gi oh, all cards would be reprinted as if the apocalipse were tomorrow.
>>
>>44657330
You laugh, but it would be a good report. I doubt its thesis worthy, but worth the research.
>>
>>44657206
So... buy them?
>>
>>44657638
It used to be a $0.25 card and it spiked to $10. It's still falling because of price memory.
>>
>tfw Star of David Games is one of the reasons why this game has become like this over the past decade
>tfw even when they go down, they take MtG with them
>>
File: 635875836774597211.png (104KB, 200x279px) Image search: [Google]
635875836774597211.png
104KB, 200x279px
i did it guys!!! how terrible is it?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-01-16-hedron-alignment/
>>
>>44657330
>>44657488
I considered doing this, not a full blown thesis, but something about the different kinds of interests and actors involved in a field. There's actually a lot of complexity involved when you take into consideration everyone involved and what they do to push their own interests. A lot it though I think we all implicitly understand and catch on to already.
>>
Fuck meme decks
>>
>>44657441
I've given Chinaman around $600USD.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
http://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
http://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=VI

See those? I've got most of those. And they're not sharing mana either. Best "board game" I've ever bought. Friends and I just sit down, and just practice a pet format.

>>44657488
Oh man, it's not a laugh of jest. It is the laugh of someone watching unfiltered refugees enter Europe knowing the exact shitstorm that is going to entail. It's the story of slowly fucking something to the point of irreversible damage.

I'm doing my masters on 2008. The mechanisms are not the same as Magic, but it's more or less the same level of no-fucks-given by the government/Wizards.
>>
>>44656435
I don't want to support Magic's secondary market any more, and certainly won't buy any WotC products unless I have to draft.
I've started looking up how to get good counterfeits. Not gonna trade or sell them, obviously, but I sure as fuck will never, ever pay for competitive Magic cards again if I can get away with it.

It feels shitty that I'd be paying $200 for COUNTERFEIT cards and still not even have most of what I'd need to play whatever I think is fun, but whatever.

Card prices are stupid high now.
People who defend it because "muh Wizards have to earn money too!" need to die in a fire, the fucking faggots.
Many LCGs have comparable or better game design and they sure as shit don't have as oppressively high barriers of entry.
>>
>>44657899
Then go play on cockatrice. If you want any cardboard, you gotta pay to play.

Or if you're so resentful and it's a chore to keep up, then play something else.
>>
>>44655199
What's the reason for the price hike?
>>
>>44656828
I wish they'd just abandon Modern because it's a shit format and reprint the shit out of every single Legacy staple, damned be the Reprint list.
Like, just fucking make event decks that are 1:1 with tournament-worthy Legacy decks, print them in the same quantity as they print those worthless intro packs and event decks.

I don't care if the secondary market never recovers, or WotC collapses, it's the only move they could make with integrity.
Watch it all crash and burn as people finally can have fun with the fucking game, for once.
>>
>>44657488

Its actually a shit thesis, because you would be able to complete it by actually opening up an economics book and reading past the 102/103 sections.

"Inflating the price through buyouts" are fundamentally impossible, because if the good continues to be sold at the "post-buyout" price and post-buyout quantities, the good was undervalued. If it doesn't sell at the previous volume, buyers exit the market at the higher price and speculators lose.

The only way for a good to appreciate is through buyers entering the market and increasing demand, relative to a fixed supply. Supply shocks like buyouts don't shift the supply curve, they just move along it.

Additionally, rising prices with fixed supply signals a chance for suppliers to enter the market to capture some of the value. Wizards may be glacial with reprints, but they're actively worried about the impact of supply floods. When MM1 was announced, they stressed that they would be "minimally affecting the numerical supply of key cards (Tarmogoyf)," indicating that they wanted to capture some reprint value, but didn't want to flood the market and kill their brand via death by printer.
>>
I refuse to believe that knowledge of the happenings in the secondary market are not known to all Wizards employees in charge of designing the game.

Do they just ignore it? As professionals are they simply brilliant enough to just NOT go on the Internet. It's hard to believe they don't read Reddit.

If they don't ignore it then they know. And they all know if that's the case. I think they're just people trying to pay the mortgage. Just like newscasters spouting the godawful bullshit not worrying that the things they are saying are wrong, politically driven, or utter bullshit.
>>
>>44656760
Go elemental combo. Nivmagus all the way.
>>
>>44657878

If you think 2008 has anything to do with card prices or Magic cards I really worry about the quality of your research on 2008. But then again you sound like an asshole so it probably won't matter.
>>
>>44658051
>"Inflating the price through buyouts" are fundamentally impossible, because if the good continues to be sold at the "post-buyout" price and post-buyout quantities, the good was undervalued. If it doesn't sell at the previous volume, buyers exit the market at the higher price and speculators lose.
The fact that you think this is true when applied to Magic, never the less that you're conflating inflation from the perspective of the consumer with price trending towards market equilibrium makes me think you should stop trying to advise others on how economics work.
>>
>>44658048
I'm pretty sure that the causes of fun, justice, efficiency, stewardship, and sustainability have never prevailed when the alternative is financial sustainability.

"We only need to sucker players to play this game for X years. By then we got their money so who cares if they quit. So long as we maintain participation and attendance numbers people buy into the hype. What's that thing, lining up in front of something and if the line gets long enough people will just join the lineup without thinking about whatever it is because the fact that people are willing to line up makes it worthy to wait for, even if that thing is fucking nothing.
>>
How do you feel about Burn being the best deck and also the cheapest?
>>
>>44658006
>Then go play on cockatrice. If you want any cardboard, you gotta pay to play.
Nope.

>>44658006
>Or if you're so resentful and it's a chore to keep up, then play something else.
I do, I just also play MtG, without paying out the ass like a chump (as you do).
>>
>>44657070

Still, the game increased popularity in the last 4 months on every LGS i go.
Now my LGS gave FoW a full day for tourneys.

Its sadwhen we FNMs were full of veterans and new players months ago. Now FoW have around 12-16 ppl tourneys while MtG havecloseto 8 players on the last 2 fnms.
>>
>>44658154

What? Inflation is a function of currency, cards are a commodity. Commodities don't "inflate," they increase in price equilibrium.
>>
>>44658006
>Then go play on cockatrice
No one on cockatrice knows how to play the fucking game. That our they cheat and then feign misunderstanding the rules afterwards. It's fucking terrible.

Modded DotP 2014 is better than that shit.
>>
>>44658216
Force of will is benefited by being magic without an archaic and retarded mana system.

It's hampered by an archaic and retarded art style.
>>
>>44658216
Do you think new sets of standarshit are going to kill magic? no

>Jews of the coast stupidity on supply demand of cards will do

They should just release modern masters as any standard set, instead of limited print shit, but thanks to collector we cannot have nice cards cuz Muh Investments
>>
>>44658048
I would like to see a reprint of the cards that aren't on the reserve list. New duals would be nice, but they could reprint force and wasteland tomorrow and be fine
>>
>>44658290
Wait, when exactly does the Reserve list start from? Is it anything around Chronicles?

I thought Wasteland and FoW were on the list. Why the fuck have they never put those in any premium product or some shit if they aren't?
>>
File: Columbus_SR.jpg (115KB, 701x960px) Image search: [Google]
Columbus_SR.jpg
115KB, 701x960px
>>44658257
THIS TBVH FAMILY

I think force of will could really catch on if every fucking artwork wasn't feel-your-parent's-shame tier
>>
>>44658312
The excuse is that they wanted to low the power level of the game, so if they put it it would cause problems in the game.
the reality is cause inversionist on second market and collectionist can sue them apparently if they reprint for money loss.
>>
>>44658006
People are moving to Force of Will because of the silimitude with mtg mechanics and cheap prices(new fame in the market) and Heartstone.

Seriously, the FNM attendace on my LGS decreased by 60%. Used to haave like 40+ people here but now there are only 12-15 ppl playing(the same rednecks from years ago).

Yugioh is still the same and Force of Will players increased in the last months.its obviously mtg wont die, butat least here they lost too many players.
>>
>>44658081
I don't think they care. I mean they make their money off Drafters, standard players that will play whatever they print due to the nature of standard and casuals who will just play whatever and leave every other format to be exploited by SCG and the secondary market in general who in return organize events and push new sets, like a symbiosis.

I think MaRo sleeps just fine even knowing that modern players have to pay 10$ for a common and 50$ for an uncommon they could reprint at any point, let alone the big offenders like Lily, goyf, FoW and the reserved list.
>>
>>44658312
Neither of them are. It started because of chronicles, alliances and tempest are after that.

They don't reprint them because of the "feel bads". Wizards doesn't trust people to keep playing after getting blown out
>>
>>44658021
Eldrazi deck been climbing the ranks recently and fast
>>
File: Serum Powder.jpg (120KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
Serum Powder.jpg
120KB, 480x680px
>>44657824
~Way~ to slow.
You lose to everything but mill-based lantern (actually, probably that too).
If you *really* want to run that card run some control, some extra colors, and at least two of pic related (probably three).
Also, Conjurer's Bauble recurs to the bottom of your deck, not the top. Use Academy Ruins instead.
>>
>>44658341
>every fucking artwork wasn't feel-your-parent's-shame tier
Yeah. From what little I've seen and read about the game, it sounds really good, but that artwork is a huge turnoff for me
>>
Guys, I got 4 unopened modern event decks. Should I open them and sell thee IoK? I dont want to see a wasted opportunity like the snapcasters i couldnt sell for 100$ each when the price spiked (they are now 50-60$)
>>
>>44658312
>check the actual Reserve list
>Some Alliances cards, like Phelddagrif and Phyreian Devourer are
>Force of Will isn't
What the FUCK?!
They've had a million fucking years to reprint them in some set that wouldn't be Standard legal, and even though Legacy has been a GP format in the past they NEVER did it? Just the Judge Promo?

Jesus wept
>>
>>44658503
>Yeah. From what little I've seen and read about the game, it sounds really good, but that artwork is a huge turnoff for me
Are you sure you aren't talking about WIXOSS?
>>
File: 134234234561.jpg (55KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
134234234561.jpg
55KB, 768x768px
>>44658540
Why the balls do you have 4 unopened modern event decks brother?
>>
>>44658341

I dont understand how people can handle the flavor text on these cards. Like people legitimately jerk off to C-Tier animation transcriptions. How.

>With the power of our friends, I believe that we can be victorious!
>His mind is quite formidable, it is clear that he is a worthy opponent.
>I wanna fuck a cartoon that looks like an 8 year old in a bikini desu senpai.
>>
>>44658540
Sell em, is your best bet now
>>
>>44658503

The artjust repels me from the game, but fuck the guys in my lgs are having fun with the game, plus there are a couple of girls playing it too.
>>
>>44658341

I want that water floater
>>
>>44658572
Bought them last year in 30$ each box to the owner of the game store I go. He thought he fuck it up by selling the event deck so he could run modern tourney but noone play modern here.
>>
>>44658553
It is pretty dumb, they could have thrown them it into a commander deck. The only things that they vitally need to reprint are the duals, the rest of the reserve list isn't that ridiculous. Except Tabernacle.
>>
>>44658601
its mostly just the weird commander things that are lolis i think. I only really know because I played a friend's spare prerelease pack back during fall semester

it was fun but I already have my jvps and fetches so im gonna keep playing standard
>>
>>44658482
>Conjurer's Bauble recurs to the bottom of your deck, not the top
yeah but there's lots of deck shuffle abilities in the deck. and when it gets down to only a few cards left, your chances of pulling it get really good. i get that it's too slow though. the only reason why i wanted to go for the mono color scheme is because i don't wanna pay to fix mana.

>serum powder
holy shit that's an awesome idea
>>
>>44658691
Can I have one
>>
Why hasn't linvala been brought out? The new one is absolute shit.
>>
>>44658751

Nope, i will sell them before the price go down again.

I mean it cost more tha PoE for godsake
>>
>>44658601
>plus there are a couple of girls playing it too.
You smash that shit yet familia?
>>
>>44658908

Nope, they got boyfriends as I know.
>>
>>44658908
You've never seen or smelled a weeb grill, have you anon?
>>
File: 1449168793910.jpg (205KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1449168793910.jpg
205KB, 600x900px
>>44658974
>they got boyfriends as I know.
Yes, and?
>>
>>44658553
Force wasn't printed at rare.
>>
File: sweating intensifies.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
sweating intensifies.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>44658908
>tfw girls at the shop
one kept talking to me while we were playing edh and put her number in my phone and started texting me and i don't know what to do
>>
>most expensive FoW card costs 30$
>I just spend 1400 on a legacy deck
GOD DAMNIT
>>
>>44657824
requesting more help. just put serum powder in, and silent departure for more long-term control. how can i make this actually happen /tg/? is the only way to use more colors?
>>
Blogposting here, but you fa/tg/uys might get some laughs so fuck it.
>oath spoilers go out
>oh boy time for pre-release
>get all my magic stuff ready, shower, eat, shave, ect.
>2 modern decks, an edh deck, and draft sleeves ready.
>20 min drive to LGS
>get there 11:45, parking lot is mostly empty. shop usually gets ~100 people for pre release.
>employee is mopping floor from FNM, clearly about to close the now empty shop.
tl ;dr i showed up for Oath pre-release a week early because I forgot to check the date.
>>
>>44659236
kek, bet you felt like a dumbass there.
>>
>>44659236
>modern FNM always misfires when I manage to finagle some time off work
FUCK
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 168x299px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 168x299px
>>44658312
>I thought Wasteland and FoW were on the list. Why the fuck have they never put those in any premium product or some shit if they aren't?

Because Mark Jewwater and his cohorts think it's more important to protect the "investment" of scalpers than keep eternal formats viable.

There is nothing, not even their bullshit "promises" keeping them from reprinting FoW/Wasteland until they cost 50 cents. They won't do it because they WANT to keep the formats prohibitively expensive.
>>
>>44659236
>an edh deck,
Well you acting retarded at the end of the post was spoiled half way in.
>>
>>44659254
I went into the 24 hour wallmart across the street just to buy some random stuff and some bfz boosters just so I felt like I didn't waste the entire trip and a bunch of gas. Feelsbadman.
>>
>>44659172
You're gonna have a hard time finding anyone who plays either of those
>>
>>44659344
Legacy is the most played format in my area so not really
Sucks to live in poorboitown
>>
>>44659332
Pull anything good at least?
>>
>>44659027

I'll be honest here, I'm a fat ugly cow atm but I'm assisting to the gym.

>>44659000

Dunno m8, last girlfriend I had was a normalfag, like 8 years ago before my friend drag me to the world of MtG, videogames and junk food.

Thanks god I didnt become a weeb
>>
File: woodlandwanderer.jpg (47KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
woodlandwanderer.jpg
47KB, 265x370px
>>44659359
>>
>>44658553

Majority of cards on the Reserved List are actually completely worthless, and will likely forever stay that way. Cent rares from Homelands or The Dark that have never been used in a deck, things like that. It's only a tiny minority of cards on it that really matter: The Power for Vintage, the Duals for Vintage and Legacy, and a couple random stragglers outside those groups like Workshop.
>>
File: 1452038553035.png (116KB, 246x255px) Image search: [Google]
1452038553035.png
116KB, 246x255px
>mfw Konami, literally the Japanese EA that treats its players like a battered housewife, is better with reprints and prices than Wizards
I've never seen a company so uncaring to it's userbase. Wizards seems fully content with the secondary market raping their players to death with cards they don't even print and make profit on anymore.
>>
So which is worse, Wizards or GW?
>>
>>44659460
GW no contest, but wizards is getting there. It's slightly easier to justify plastic over cardboard.
>>
>>44659353
Same here, feels good. Legacy FNM is the best.
>>
File: Pull from Eternity.jpg (155KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
Pull from Eternity.jpg
155KB, 480x680px
>>44658744
>serum powder
>holy shit that's an awesome idea
If you're feeling especially ballsy, you can run 4 and try to start each game with

≈5 cards in hand
≈30 cards in deck
≈25 cards in exile

>i wanted to go for the mono color scheme is because i don't wanna pay to fix mana
A shitty multicolor landbase (no fetches or shocks) would still be better than what you've got.
That would also let you run pic related, which would drastically speed things up with all of the exiled cards you could be starting the game with.

Also, splash black for Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize, they help yoy with control and can discard your own Hedron Alignment (in case you somehow draw 3 of them).

You also might want to consider copy enchantment, or other clone effects to give you extra Hedron Alignments (though you'd also need a way to bounce/sacrifice/exile you extra Alignments).
>>
>>44656018
Can someone teach me Abzan?
>>
>>44659413
I dunno, fetchland reprints are pretty nice. I'm overall pretty happy with my collection being able to hold it's value.
>>
>>44659602
Which one?
>>
>>44658744
And I don't know what I was thinking when I suggested Academy Ruins (Hedron Alignments not even an artifact).
But seriously, you shouldn't expect to draw through your entire deck without some crazy dedication to control.
>>
Just a reminder that Return to Zendikar block has ruined modern and MaRo is literally hitler.
>>
>>44659647
How
>>
>>44659326
>>44659413

I want you guys to try and rationalize printing the game into the ground. Hint: expectations of falling prices encourages players to not hold cards.
>>
>>44658869
Can I BUY one
>>
>>44659413

the only reason they do reprints is because they want to jew the shit out of the poor fuckers who can't afford regular prints before they ban the reprints. The yugioh secondary market is also awful as fuck. Nekroz literally had singles for $200 that you needed playsets of each. It's batshit insane how awful konami is compared to wizards.

konami killed nekroz too and now the cards are worth $10
>>
File: 2rcg3ow3ngg0.jpg (23KB, 290x324px) Image search: [Google]
2rcg3ow3ngg0.jpg
23KB, 290x324px
>>44659702
>Hint: expectations of falling prices encourages players to not hold cards.
thats exactly the point of reprints genius. How are sky high fucking prices for BASIC ENTRY INTO THE GAME a good thing? Rationalize that for me.
>m-muh card value
fuck you greedy assholes. You can't kill the game just to swindle other people for profit.

The more sweaty fucking investor neckbeards gouge the price of cardboard the worse the game gets.
>>
>>44659619
There is more than one? The expensive one I guess.
>>
>>44659647
Hitler was a cool guy. Surely you mean he is the incarnation of a jew, which he is. I googled it.
>>
>>44659786
Step 1: Play Jund instead
Unless SFM comes off the banlist, Jund is the way to go right now.
>>
>>44659824
someone screen shot this post and put it on a picture of a wurmcoil engine sitting at a computer
>>
>>44659738
Lavalval Chain gone, RotA to 1. Shit like that drove me to mtg and now this happens.
>>
>>44659846
Jund and Junk both have shitty matchups against Tron.
Jund's is slightly better since they can side Crumble.
>>
>>44659738
Yugioh has scheduled reprints though, the knowledge of reprints drives the price down, as well as fear of the banlist. Nekroz was tier 0 for a month, yes, but then the banhammer came and their prices settled to less than retarded amounts.

I've haven't seen Yugioh reach magic levels of fucking retarded prices since Drulers. The fact that you can't hold onto your cards too long in yugioh due to reprints makes the game easier on everybody and discourages scalping.

>>44659859
get rekt herofag, that shit deserved getting hit for years.
>>
File: wikipedia.png (196KB, 271x516px) Image search: [Google]
wikipedia.png
196KB, 271x516px
>>44659809
>Surely you mean he is the incarnation of a jew, which he is. I googled it.
Indeed.
>>
>>44659871
Actually I'm Dark Synchro. Rouge as fuck. I use Destiny Heroes as an engine and I think Stratos is a bitch because he isn't dark. Fuck wind! My main deck only runs on darkness shit!
>>
>>44656095
Burn.
>>
File: v9ryip0q.jpg (194KB, 696x326px) Image search: [Google]
v9ryip0q.jpg
194KB, 696x326px
>>44659100
Show her your batterskull.
>>
>>44659900
Alright fine. But Lavalval chain was utter cancer and needed to get shot. I know, I was an Infernityfag. Rota less so but the ability to splash a hero engine into fucking everything was a bit of a design problem for konami. I think they learned their lesson.
>>
>>44659780
Standard is like that. The eternal formats are, but there is a degree of being grandfathered into those formats. Standard is more of an intro format.
>>
>>44659824
I chose Azban because I liked the name... Jund is like really plain.
>>
>>44655837
Well managed to take third with Twin. Went 2-2 but managed to get into top 8 because only like 16 people were there. Lost to Jeskai stuff because I was distracted and tired and played like a trashmaster, lost to Affinity because God hands.
In top 8 went against Tron, managed to win in game 3 through a spellskite and a resolved Ulamog by Cryptic Command-ing the spellskite on his turn, also flashing down Exarch and then playing Splinter Twin on my turn. Very stressful
Then I lost to merfolk because I'm garbage.
>>
>>44659931
Infernity was my second deck. Limited Barrier and Archfiend. So unfair.
>>
>>44656070
It's probably the most abusive Midrange deck.
It beats the shit out of Twin, can actually beat Tron, isn't as frail against Burn and Affinity and assrapes Jund/Junk.

Prepare for Eldrazi vs Merfolk and Scapeshift in top 8s because they're it's only real bad match and this shit is exactly the kind of deck "pros" have been waiting for.
>>
>>44658177
I feel like i want a boros burn deck and i need to go get more modern burn staples.
>>
>>44660008
Can bw tokens beat it?
>>
>>44659951
Merfolk is a bad matchup though. You keep misrepresenting good/bad matchups.
>>
>>44660037
Into the dirt. However if you have a clunky hand with tokens it can suck even in your good match ups, since you can't accelerate draws/filter into a better hand.
>>
>>44659887
>that nose
>that voice
>protecting collectors above players by own admission
>ROSEWATER
You had to wikipedia that anon?
>>
>>44655199
>44655199

The Modern Event deck comes with 2, and my LGS has a couple that have been on the shelf forever. Hmmm.
>>
>>44660129 I knew off hand, I just went there to get a picture for my reply.
>>
>>44660129

>implying Maro has anything important to say about reprints
>implying it's not some higher up guy who decides to monetize on second market idiots
>>
>>44659780

By "investor neckbeards" do you mean "everyone who buys sealed product"? There is literally zero inventive to buy any cards at any point if the value is just going to diminish.

Why would you buy packs to try and increase your EV if the cards you're chasing are just going to be flooded in the future?

I swear people who REEEE about card prices and "buyouts" need to learn about the basics of commodities pricing. Speculators make money on mispriced commodities, or rather by anticipating changes in supply/demand that the market doesn't account for. There's no such thing as price gouging outside of something like a natural disaster or legitimate supply shock.

Putting a Goyf in every pack just kills the game, especially when there is no shortage of people with a WTP in the $130 range.
>>
File: 1431585277848s.jpg (4KB, 125x121px) Image search: [Google]
1431585277848s.jpg
4KB, 125x121px
I FUCKING LOVE WHEN NEW ARCHETYPES ARE ADDED
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 312x445px
Should I buy a set before the price goes up during the pro tour?
>>
File: thoughtknotseer.jpg (49KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
thoughtknotseer.jpg
49KB, 265x370px
>Eldrazi decks are only gonna get more powerful and popular
>>
>>44660292
have fun with your meme deck getting banned after you spend all that money
>>
>>44656435
I built Legacy Burn for $200, won enough to buy Modern 8Rack for $600, wone enough to buy the fetchlands for Modern Burn, then won enough to port 8Rack into PoxRack for Legacy and Deadguy for Modern when I fear Burn will be hated out.

These two decks have me in green and way above my expenses. But the way I do things doesn't seem to work anymore. if I wanted to turn Deadguy into Eldrazi all I need are the Eldrazi lands and the Eldrazi themselves.
But is it worth it? The deck is ridiculous, either it gets hated out or gets a mindless ban that completely ruins it.
On the other hand I was looking into getting Goyfs. And the same question stands.
Is it worth it to spend $800 in 4 copies of a card just to have your deck be raped by Eldrazi, a deck that was very obviously a mistake?

WotC really isn't paying attention to Modern, this is an elephant graveyard where older players go to die while the speculation vultures pick on their bones.
>>
>>44656704
To play Pack Rat at it's best in Modern you also need to spend $400 on 4 cards.
Liliana of the Veil may tie with Jace, The Mind Sculptor as the best planeswalker, but that price tag is cray-
>>
>>44660310
>Eldrazi deck
>mistake

it folds to any sort of aggro. Your graveyard deck has a bad matchup. All decks do. Get over it
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 640x226px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 640x226px
>>44660419
Just wait till LotV gets reprinted in shadows over innistrad.
>>
>>44660310

>eldrazi
>a mistake

Mind elucidating that claim?
>>
>>44658048
What I would like is if they would just go an make all cards printed in the 8th Ed and now post M15 borders Modern-Legal.
Truly shake everything the fuck up, add a shit ton of cards to the pool and be able to re-print cards and make them avaliable to the format through Duel Decks, Commander and other products that sell to demand at Wal Mart and are hard to hoard.
>>
>>44660583

[JUDAISM INTENSIFIES]
>>
>>44660066
I was told it was good for Twin. Idk I did play like garbage that match tho
>>
>>44660686

I mean merfolk have the means to deal with twin combo and can pretty much ignore all the counter spell shit if you don't stop vial on t1.
>>
SHOULD I BITE THE BULLET AND COP A SET OF LILIANAS NOW?
CHEERS
>>
>>44660809
Trade you one for four inkmoths and a gravecrawler
>>
File: 1.jpg (243KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
243KB, 2048x1152px
dredge is life
>>
>>44660834
>not manaless
stay pleb
>>
>>44658540
Don't open them. Try to sell boxed for the price of the IoKs alone.
If the spike is real and they sell, you "lost" like $50 each on shit that you got at $30 and pushed at $150.
If the spike isn't real, you still have an unopened collectible and a bunch of uncommons that were spiked by a grognard with a brand new credit card debt.
>>
>>44660843
>modern
>>
>>44660834
Cat be like "meow"
>>
>>44660834
You will bow before your Eldrazi overlords

Destroyer of Snaps and Goyfs
>>
>>44660295
I got my playset preordered, can't wait until someone does something with them
>>
Why the fuck baby liliana still cost higher than 18$? Nobody use her for fucks sake.
>>
>>44660896
>have two Eldrazi Temple/Temple and Eye of Ugin
>get a turn 2 4/4 that Cliques their hand except the card is just gone forever and is now fuel for my other shit
>>
>>44654996
>>44655034
qualitybait.jpeg

>>44654962
Trust me. The new ones will also see play, eventually. Even the BG one.

>>44655199
Lol. Just, lol.

>>44655368
Been trying it out for myself. Vs. fair midrange decks it's decent. Vs. combo it's good. Vs. fast aggro it's bad.
>>
>>44660834
>scg mat
>cfb sleeves

Disgusting. Were you wearing an MLG shirt when you took thia photo?
>>
>>44660037
Depends, some are running a couple copies of Nigth of Souls' Betrayal on the board and Ulamog eats your Virtues.
>>
>>44660871
More like exiler of graveyards. I'm genuinely on the fence about playing any gy strategy at the moment.
>>
File: WhyDoesThisShitHave3CMC.png (162KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
WhyDoesThisShitHave3CMC.png
162KB, 265x370px
How'd I do?
~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 Hedron Alignment

4 Serum Powder
4 Pull From Eternity
4 Noxious Revival
4 Serum Visions
4 Faithless Looting (mana base permitting, else Dream Twist)
2 Dig Through Time

3 Spellskite
3 Thoughtseize
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Path to Exile
2 Journey to Nowhere

19 lands
>>
>>44660949
I get that the cfb sleeves are lame as fug, but what's wrong with the scg card art mats?
>>
>>44660984

Most dudedrazi decks are black based and running Ghost Quarters. You're sending stuff there whether you like or not.
>>
>>44660483
>>44660520
This >>44660295 is a 2 drop in the deck.
It's Midrange Tron with discard. As soon as actually competitive players start mastering it and realize it has fair to strong games against everything save the very best hands of Burn, Affinity and BW Tokens, plus Scapeshift and Merfolk, we'll be flooded in it worse than Pod.
>>
>>44660927
Eldrazi tempo is gonna be real
>>
>>44660834
Even the cat disaprooves.
>>
>>44660923
Price memory.
80% of the reason MtG is stock market for babbies.
>No market correction
>No overseeing authorities
>No way to take legal action against pump-and-dumps
>No manufacturers producing to fill demand
>You can buy all copies of a card for a couple thousand bucks

If you hit it, you make obsene ammounts of money. If you fail like a retard loser, you just hoard that shit and the prize won't go down. If you jew the shit out of it, there's no repercussions either.
>>
>>44661036

How often are you going to open Eye, Thoughtnot, and Temple in the same hand?

You're trying to instigate a buyout aren't you?
>>
File: 105007.jpg (22KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
105007.jpg
22KB, 200x285px
>>44661034
What? This post, I cant even. Getting stuff in my graveyard wouldnt bother me. Stuff taken out of it would.
>>
>>44661036
would you say it's the modern Rise of the Eldrazi?
>>
>>44661131
This is why I was thinking of a completely different list running green for Ancient Stirrings
>>
>>44661137
This card right the fuck here
When all the sick shit from Oath hits and people just cut the second color from decks and remove all non eldrazi spells save for Inquisition, people will probably start playing a fuckton of Caverns. And when you cast an uncounterable Void Winnower on Twin, they actually just can't win. Their deck just gets shut off.
>>
What do you guys think of Grixis Control?

Solid deck?
>>
Would unbanning delve cards like cruise put a check against eldrazi?
>>
>>44661211
Super efficient value deck with some really solid matchups

However, you pretty much just fold to the Eldrazi flavor of the month
>>
>>44661219
No? They exile your graveyard
>>
Eldrazi decks are scared enough of aggro to just run a full 4 copies of Sun Droplet. It has such amazing matchups against other things but aggro is just such an intense weakpoint
>>
>>44661268
I believe Thought-Knot Seer will help with that. A 4/4 on turn 2 can stop a lot of aggression
>>
>>44661286
it is an amazing play but you can't do that unless you just have two temples or a temple and eye, since it requires colorless. It's a huge buff to the deck but I don't think it'll be enough to stop things like Burn or Affinity. It'll probably just always scoop to those
>>
>>44661063
The other deck is elves, and I also have tokens. I am the king of the memes :^)
>>
>>44661131
The buyout already happened nigger.
I'll be listening to your salty tears about how Eldrazi is worse than Pod in a couple months.
>>
>>44661211
It's worse than Twin at closing games and wose than Tron at surviving the long haul.
>>
>>44661391
You don't have Lantern you fucking fraud. What kind of meme king doesn't play Lantern or something with Rhino
>>
is there any other hobby that makes you feel this much of a cuck
>>
>>44661306
It really doesn't. Post-board Duress on top of the discard they already run cuts Burn's shit up and the Night of Soul's Betrayal buyout? Their reaction to Affinity and Tokens on top of already running an Eldrazi Flmaetongue Kavu and a nigger that drops three nigglets.

I feel people haven't become wary of Eldrazi because there's like 6 different versions and only 2 are really scary, the mono-black midrange and the lolwut Heartless Summoning ramp one.
>>
>>44661426
Voyeurism.
>>
>>44661423
Lantern isn't fun though
>>
>>44661496
Memes aren't fun

They're a special little piece of hell that hell didn't want

So now we have them
>>
>>44661458
To be honest I feel like we've discovered gunpowder in the form of Eye + Temple but right now we're only using it to shoot muskets.
When OGW hits we're gonna see the cannonballs.
>>
>>44661500
tfw Jeskai Ascendancy got banned
>>
>>44661511
u can see deez cannonballs ahahahahahahha
>>
>>44661496
>Lantern isn't fun though
To play against, maybe.
It's definitely fun to pilot.
>>
>>44661524
Shieeet bruh high five
>>
Anyone here play Grishoalbrand? It is a rush to play even if it is low tier, and when it goes right you feel like you are playing Vintage vs. Standard.
>>
>>44661511
>literally existed for 5 years before hand
So what sparked the deck? Wasteland Strangler? Blight Herder? These cards just seem so lame that they couldn't honestly have cause this deck to take off
>>
>>44661496
prison.dec is good
prison.dec is life
>>
>>44661642
>So what sparked the deck?
Actually castable Eldrazi.
>>
So went 3-2 tonight with Burn and got into the top 8. Pretty good night.
Won against
Elves
Twin
RUG Twin

Lost against
Burn twice

The burn mirror matchup is always ridiculously hard for me to win. Really need to practice on that one.
>>
>>44661749
You just gotta murder harder than the other murderer. 'S easy brosef.
>>
>>44661192
If it becomes a thing it might inspire Kiki to come back. Pestermite/Exarch and Kiki are both odd.
>>
>>44661642
Pretty much yes.
They look like shit in standard because you're casting them for their full price and need crap like Silkwrap or Ingesters to activate.
In modern they're the same cards but for B and 2-3, activate reliably thanks to prevalent grave-exile in graveyard:the format, run Thoughtseize and IoK to protect them and their shit goes to the stack on cast so fuck your counters.
Oblivion Sower and Ulamog are backbreaking too, when they can cost 2 and 4 each.
>>
>>44661137
He's saying that even if you don't play a graveyard strategy the Eldrazi player will still put your cards there and then exile them.
>>
File: tibalt2.jpg (967KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tibalt2.jpg
967KB, 1200x1200px
>playing people in FNM
>tfw I get the god hand one game and drop 4 titans turn 2 and swing for lethal

I thrive off the tears of people complaining about this deck
>>
>>44658503
>[...] but that artwork is a huge turnoff for me

You talk like a woman, normie.
>>
>>44661024
absolutely nothing. i was at that GP, it was a fuckin' good time.

cookout is my adopted jam as of that trip. pile of food and gargantuan sweet tea for 5 bux? i'm in that, son.
>>
>>44660275
>There is literally zero inventive to buy any cards at any point if the value is just going to diminish.

Unless you want to actually play the game and not just hoard cards to drive up prices so you can flip them later for a profit.

Casuals are always going to buy packs regardless of the lack of monetary value of the cards. So will limited/draft players. These singles will end up in the hands of secondary sellers because people will still want specific cards and going through a secondary seller is more convenient than finding someone to trade specific cards with.

The only difference would be that, if Wizards put effort into combating secondary market price gouging, the prices wouldn't be as high. Cards would still get bought and sold, only at a price level that makes it more affordable for people to get into the game, which would help the accessibility of Magic and allow more people to get into the game.

Easier accessibility to the game = more people playing and attending events = more people buying packs and cards = more money being made in the long run, all while keeping prices affordable for average players.

Plus, there will always be premium and otherwise rare or special versions of cards that demand higher prices simply because they're unique and rare. This allows for "chase" cards that carry higher prices while not hampering the accessibility of the game.
>>
>>44661211
It's Grixis Midrange.
>>
>>44659100
call her and be like 'yo you wanna get lunch'

>yes
go have lunch together, have a good time.

>no
go get some lunch without her, you gotta eat bruh. don't tilt out on the girl (or yourself), just drop it and move on.
>>
>>44660275
>playing MTG like an economics faggot

If they randomly made Goyf a rare in the next modern master packs it wouldn't "kill the game". If you have a playset of goyfs already then you already met your willingness to pay and you don't really have to care.

Also to all the people that get more goyfs it would lead them to buy other cards to complete fucking Jund, junk whatever the fuck and keep the market flowing.

Kill yourself
>>
>>44660295
There has got to be a way to use this with the new mistmeadow eldrazi to exile someones entire deck because they left the "Leaves the battlefield" trigger on there
>>
>>44662031

>These singles will end up in the hands of secondary sellers because people will still want specific cards and going through a secondary seller is more convenient than finding someone to trade specific cards with.

>The only difference would be that, if Wizards put effort into combating secondary market price gouging, the prices wouldn't be as high.

Those two statements are contradictory. If prices fell reliably, the secondary market would implode due to card shops and secondary sellers literally not being able to make money at all.

Cards wouldn't be reliably bought and sold, and sealed product would have a net negative EV over time, hence markets freezing up.

When you actively incentivize not holding cards, you literally actively diminish the value of your brand and printings over time. This is the thing that people don't really get about mass reprints.
>>
>>44662119
Not unless you can produce infinite mana.
>>
>>44656018
>Summoning Trap combo
Is awful a tier?
>>
>>44662105

If they demonstrated that they're willing to kick people holding cards in the dick, not only do they tank the value of thousands of dollars in inventory for stores, they tank their reputation of cards holding value at all.

Bye bye secondary market if sellers cant trust that their inventory won't be randomly depreciated irresponsibly. And goodbye to the value of investment in any cards every player currently holds. Why would you buy a sealed product knowing that no matter what you pull, it will be worthless next printing?
>>
>>44658051

>"Inflating the price through buyouts" are fundamentally impossible, because if the good continues to be sold at the "post-buyout" price and post-buyout quantities, the good was undervalued.

I would tend to disagree only because economic theory assumes rational consumption, and magic players are not rational by any stretch. if they were, everyone would be playing burn because it represents an optimized level of competitiveness per dollar.

also the buyouts absolutely effect price in the long run because when prices of a card are high people will trade for and buy the card in hopes to avoid and/or profit off of future appreciation. if enough people acquire the card after this surge the price will stick not because it was undervalued, but because it was overvalued long enough. for evidence of this look at cards like goyf, liliana, black lotus, jace the mind sculptor, etc.
>>
>>44656889
No eternal format support.
>>
>>44662236
>Why would you buy a sealed product knowing that no matter what you pull, it will be worthless next printing?
To open it and play with it. Alternatively to keep it as a collecters item.

The people who just hoard up their valuable collections and keep the prices stupidly high should not be more important than the people who wishes to buy cards because they want to actually play the damn game. I couldn't care less if my own or other peoples collection lose half their value because if you have the cards solely for their worth in money you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>44662260
You don't understand value theory.
>>
>>44662260
This is a card game, not the stock market.
Why should the players give a shit about investors?
>>
>>44661912
But im saying im now hesistant to play a deck that wins via the graveyard. Thanks memes.
>>
>>44661671
Just give me sphere of resistance and sol lands and modern becomes a fun format
>>
>>44662356
I can't take modern very seriously until more than 2 decks are interactive and control becomes more viable
>>
>>44662304
Its for the players who've been around longer and have built decks slowly. You don't really want to buy a dual land, then have it drop to $25 the next day
>>
>>44662366
Most modern decks are interactive, what decks aren't?
>>
>>44662376
If I bought a dual land it would be to play it.
I would be butthurt for a day or two but I wouldn't let it ruin my life
>>
>>44662376
In that sense WotC's reprint policy is actually healthy for the game in the sense that people know that they can make sound investments in Legacy and Vintage staples and that they won't just all of a sudden deflate in value.
>>
>>44656254
Halo does fuck all against Ad Nauseam though which is as solitaire as it gets.
>>
>>44662382
Tron, Affinity, Infect, Amulet Bloom, Boggles, Living End and so on

Decks like these are no thought unga bunga soltaire unless your opponent is playing any sort of counter or disruption
>>
>>44662397
No, but the people that are buying the really expensive cards are generally the ones who've been with the game longer. Someone who's been playing magic for 10 years is probably going to be playing for as long as there is a game, so there is some logic to appeasing that crowd over the newcomers
>>
>>44655326
I've always hear that mutagenic is shit and that you should play mooks instead.
>>
>>44662415
Tron, affinity and infect are all interactive. They deploy threats, you deploy answers or win before they do. Boggles is, to a lesser extent, interactive. Its just harder to interact with the game plan they put together.

Decks like ANT, vintage dredge and TPS are actually non interactive because they either don't care about what the other player is doing, or strip the opponents hand with discard then disregard what the opponent is doing.
>>
File: 1431735134495.jpg (24KB, 496x499px) Image search: [Google]
1431735134495.jpg
24KB, 496x499px
>buying a bunch of pieces of cardboard that say scalding tarn because you may make a minimal profit in a few years

Why not just invest money into something more reliable and turn a better profit?
>>
>>44662382

More than you'd think

Living End, Eldrazi, Bogles, Amulet Bloom, Ad Nauseam, Burn, Grishoalbrand, Tron, Elves and to some extent, Abzan Company are non-interactive decks
>>
>>44662402
Yeah, it kind of is in that sense. I like that if I get bored of legacy, or want to switch decks, i can disassemble my current deck and get out about what I put into it
>>
>>44662293

How so? magic is supply elastic/demand inelastic therefore people who buy cards for price X won't sell it easily for X-1. if the price shifts to X+1 and enough people buy it for X+1 the price will move back to it's X equilibrium slowly if at all because selling at X represents a perceived loss in actual value. demand shifts almost exclusively on meta relevance and perceived scarcity and is mostly unaffected by prices.
>>
>>44662472
They are interactive in the smallest degree possible

If you are playing tron vs infect I guarantee the amount of interaction is caveman tier. Wow playing Karn turn 3 and choosing what to exile fuck man that's basically 10 games of chess

My point is most decks in modern have a super specific game plan and barely care what the opponent is doing and just want to slam karn, big infect guy, boggle, titan, bunch of robots and don't run any real interaction mainboard.

Interaction slightly improves after sideboarding usually but that only really leads to windmill slam X-sideboard card that completely shuts down your 1 strategy and I win
>>
>>44662520
I feel like your idea of good interaction is Force of Will.
>>
>>44662283
But why would you do that when you can buy it next season for even cheaper? When the value tomorrow is going to be even lower, absolutely nobody is going to buy. Wizards would have to go full Yugioh and actively force people to buy into the current set to maintain any sense of current value.

> I couldn't care less if my own or other peoples collection lose half their value because if you have the cards solely for their worth in money you are doing it wrong.

Walk into your LGS, look at the rows of cases with hundreds of cards that represent thousands of dollars in held inventory. All of that gets flushed if Wizards prints into the ground.

Prices aren't "kept high" by speculators and large investors, prices are kept as close to their market value as possible, otherwise the speculators and investors would lose piles of money by design.

>>44662397

Yeah, you'd be butthurt, unless your entire business was centered around moving them, in which case you'd be bankrupt.

>>44662260

>the price will stick not because it was undervalued, but because it was overvalued long enough

If the card was overvalued, potential buyers of the card would exit the market and the cards would remain unsold at that "overvalued" rate. The transaction occurring, rational or not, shows a readiness and willingness to pay for a card.

> goyf, liliana, black lotus, jace the mind sculptor

If people stopped purchasing cards at their "current prices" holders would be forced to lower their prices or lose money. But they purchase cards, and are thus willing to pay.
>>
>>44662520
Infect runs vines, apostles blessing, spellskite and sometimes spell pierce or dismember main board. I wouldn't call that uninteractive.
>>
>>44662530
>Yeah, you'd be butthurt, unless your entire business was centered around moving them, in which case you'd be bankrupt.
Granted but why is that bad for anyone but those people? Why are their interests so much more important?
>>
>>44662520
They have linear strategies, but that doesn't make them non-interactive. They're both rushing their strategies out, but there are still are decisions, like overcommiting into pyroclasm vs undercommiting and losing to a karn.

It's not the lack of interaction that makes modern decks boring, but the lack of interesting decisions. All the decks feel like powerful standard decks, and the only interesting decisions are how to fetch your lands.
>>
>>44662530
>no businesses should go bankrupt
>>
>>44662580
If wizards bankrupts the stores that buy and distribute their product it seems pretty bad
>>
I'm struggling for a solid 2 drop in my Skred list. Any suggestions?
Currently I'm only running 2 magma jets. Spellskite is in the side but not really needed enough to warrant maindeck inclusion
>>
>>44662530

demand in magic is largely unaffected by prices but shifts instead based on any given card's meta relevance or the status that comes with the card in question. the point is that buyer's purchase based on what they need to complete a deck list and will not exit off of price alone. if they did then grove of the burnwillows would drop in price because the RG pain land fills essentially the same role for 88 dollars less.
>>
>>44662574
>>44662580

>Hurr durr I don't play games and buy cards from card shops convert Magic to a FFG beer'n'pretzles LCG
>>
>>44662577
I really fail to see how Legacy or Vintage are any better.
Sounds like you just have an issue with MTG in general
>>
>>44662506
If enough people buy the card at value X+1 then that is the value of the card. Products and services have no objective values attached to them other than whichever value buyers and sellers subjectively attatch to them.
>>
>>44662617
If cards were cheaper more people would buy more cards
>>
>>44662617
>more expensive = greater complexity

You're a retard. Go back to playing 3.5 with your outdated mechanics and billions of splatbooks.
>>
>>44662625

right, but the point of all this is that X is set arbitrarily by an unregulated oligopoly which exists outside of the producer and they're free to change the price as they please.
>>
>>44662618
There are a lot more things to consider. Resolving brainstorms and ponders offer a lot of interesting decisions, and force you to figure out a game plan that's going to win you the game while thwarting their game plan. In vintage, where draws have a lot of variance and giving your opponent one extra turn can instantly lose you the game from a winning position, is extremely fun. I also find a lot more variation between individual vintage decks, which is pretty fun.
>>
I want to play magic but I hate that 99% of the community is made out of disgusting losers, circlejerking fatasses, and bronies, furries, and other scum of the earth.
>>
>>44662689
Okay
>>
>>44662689

You just have a shit crowd.

Good thing I live in Asia where we have almost none of those pariah stereotypes
>>
>>44662668
That doesn't matter.
>>
>>44662733
Yeah the foreign crowd seems much much better than in the states. Just people that want to play some cards on the weekend
>>
>>44662757
I had heard a lot of bad things about the people who plays magic from /tg/. But when I went to my store (in europe) to play it turned out that it was just a bunch of normal people. More nerdy than average of course but nothing extreme.

Do people just talk shit or are the american playerbase actually a bunch of fat neckbeards?
>>
>>44662757
As a Swede, you certainly see poeple like that but tehy aren't very common. I've met exactly one fatass and he was also a long haired, unshaven ginger and overall obnoxious person to be around and exactly one person who used weeaboo sleeves for his cards though they weren't even lewd, so whatever during my soon fifteen years of playing this game. Everyone else has been cool.
>>
>>44662668

And if cards are purchased at X, X is within consumer's willingness to pay. If X is "arbitrarily set too high" they will lose money. Consumers purchase along their willingness to pay, not any higher. The equilibrium of that is the market rate.
>>
>>44662806
The American playerbase is actually a bunch of fat neckbeards.
>>
>>44662689

Why? I love losers. Having the slightest amount of class, style, or charisma makes you essentially the social Nerd God that everyone wants to be around.

Its like being at a less-sweaty hostess club I don't have to pay for.
>>
>>44662755

except it kinda does. price fixing and gouging destroys the game in the long run. it's why counterfeits are a bigger problem than ever and only getting worse.
>>
>>44662806
Yes, every TCG I have been to has been full of undesirables - mostly neckbeards and dropouts. There are "gamer-girls" too, as well as the classic group of pseudo-professional jackoffs that are obsessed with metagaming and aren't welcoming to new or unskilled players. Now I only go to GPs. It is a shame, since the owners seem really interested in promoting the game. Only once, I went to a draft during Gatecrash (I think) and met a 40-something guy that played during Beta and was just getting back into it. We had a really pleasant conversation and he was polite when he lost. On the other hand I have had a player actually flip a table on me. He was banned from the store, but it really turned me off to the game. Luckily, I've been fortunate enough to get a job that will take me overseas in two years in Moscow .
>>
>>44662476
>LE
Plays Shriekmaw, Beast Within, Dismember, Jund Charm, Fulminator Mage, cascades into LE only when the board state favors it and can fight a counter war in g2/3 with Ricochet Trap.
>Eldrazi
Hand destruction, cares about combat step, ETB abilities which interact
>Tron
What is Karn, O-Stone, Wurm, Nature's Claim and Pyroclasm
>>
>>44662849

I'm not arguing what equilibrium price is. I'm arguing that the largest sellers price fix/gouge and the buyouts they use to simulate drastically increased demand can affect the health of the game in the long run.
>>
>>44654996
>>44655034
I know multiple women who play Magic, including myself. Nobody actually cares.
>>
>>44662884
>>44662947

How? If counterfeits are being purchased or buyers are exiting the market, the "gougers" lose money. If "gougers" aren't losing money, the cards were mispriced initially.

If you "simulate demand" beyond the equilibrium, you get stuck overpaying for stuff you can't sell back. Remember that buying out cards represents risk and an initial purchase.

You can't "price fix" beyond a buyer's willingness to pay, and that willingness to pay that aligns with the supply is the equilibrium price.
>>
>>44663017
All of this can be undermined in a win-win situation for players and Wizards if they'd just reprint the cards that people want. I can't fathom why they're protecting the secondary market. Perhaps if even more people had tier 1/2 decks, the game would be exposed for being as shallow as it really is.
>>
>>44663038
>I can't fathom why they're protecting the secondary market.
Because a large part of why Magic has remained so popular over the years is because people know that the secondary market is relatively stable.
>>
>>44663063
1. Can you prove that
2. Magic isn't nearly as popular as it should logically be
>>
>>44663091
>Magic isn't nearly as popular as it should logically be
How popular should it be then?
>>
>>44663091

>Can you prove that

>tcgplayer
>Every place you buy cards
>Every local store ever
>>
>>44663063
Magic's secondary market is relatively stable? Are you having a fucking GIGGLE here son? Eye of Ugin, a card no one gives a shit about, went from a dollar rare to $33 overnight. Spikes are just as harmful to markets as crashes.
>>
>>44663328

Jesus fucking christ read the thread or open up an Economics book. A price cannot "spike" beyond a markets willingness to pay.
>>
>>44662849
But that consumer is not the player. It's dealers.

Then players don't get the cards, then less people attend WotC's events and the smaller LGS events and you've got the same loss of money exept it was WotC losing money and brick and mortars going bankrupt while SCG takes the money off a bunch of wannabe inversionists that are too faggoty for the real stocks.
>>
>>44663017
There is no risk in Magic. "Price Memory" makes sure that prices won't go down even if there's zero demand and you make your money back eventually by selling a minimum fraction of the cards you scalped at the inflated value you set.
>>44663430
You're the one who needs to open an economics book. You keep acting like Magic is a real-world, regulated economy. It isn't.
If Goyf was printed at rare tomorrow but SCG, CFB; ABU, T&T and Card Kingdom decided it doesn't drop a cent, people will follow and it won't drop a cent. Now either you buy it at it's price, you play the lottery of you don't play Jund/Junk. There is no market alternative and there is no authority to prevent this.
>>
>>44663113
How popular is Hearthstone?
>>
>>44663537

I want you to think about that really hard, and tell me what dealers plan on doing with a mountain of "overvalued" cardboard that doesn't get moved into players hands.
>>
>>44663588

>Now either you buy it at it's price, you play the lottery of you don't play Jund/Junk.

When you buy it, the price is within your willingness to pay, and the previous lower price was underpriced. If you don't buy it, you are considered priced out, and if enough people do not buy the cards, SCG CFB etc loses money en masse. Regulation has nothing to do with it because people will never purchase cards beyond their willingness to pay.

Price memory is a function of that card NOT BEING REPRINTED, and having collectors value beyond its functional printing.

If there was zero demand, the cards wouldn't sell, and you actively WONT make your money back while you sit at a loss on the cardboard you bought for a large amount.

I dont understand how this keeps getting explained, and the concept of arbitrage and market pricing still go over peoples heads. Do I need to make some graphs?
>>
>>44661990
Most women I know who play FoW like it partially because of the art. I'd probably get into the game too if it weren't for all the time and money I've invested into MtG, and the fact that my country has literally 2 stores that sell it, neither of which are close to me.
>>
I just want to point out a couple realities. I don't know how to interpret them.

In spite of card prices spiking to obscene levels, my nearby stores (each in different cities) just don't really open boxes for singles anymore. They'll open maybe a box or two but that's it. It's just not worth their labor sorting that shit and storing it onsite where nobody wants it.

Instead, they deal with singles. They pay 30-50% for high-end singles and a bulk rate for anything that isn't somewhere like $5. Most of these singles aren't even sold locally, because nobody fucking buys them. And I know nobody buys them not for lack of opportunity, all these recent spikes in the past few days I have in my trade binder and they've been in there for years - they're not more likely to move unless I decide to sell them online.

Anyways, my local stores sell these singles online. They eBay that shit at the "market rate" and it keeps the lights on. It takes no more than half an hour to assess a collection and players tend to dump everything. It's easy to sell cards on eBay now because of how goddamn expensive everything is. You price a $50 at $45 and it gets picked up immediately; do that for all your stock and it disappears to one buyer, so the labor in sorting, pricing and shipping is minimal. A bought collection can yield hundreds of dollars an hour.

You could say this takes cards out of the community. Well it doesn't, because nobody in the local economy wants these cards because of how expensive they are. I've had a Goyf for years and nobody in all of three stores wants it.
>>
Well, I decided to sell my cards. I'd rather have fun with friends in a weeb game (ygo can suck my dick) than playing alone with tryhards rednecks and jerks.

The cards im selling are enough to build rg tron, jund/junk, melfolk (no mutavault), infect and afinity.

Fuck this game wizards and enjoy my cards.

I'll keep my ug ezuri commander tho
>>
>>44663592
Fist of Suns.
>>
File: moneycard.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
moneycard.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>muh competitive play
>have to pay shitload of money for an uncommon
>don't want but have to because I MUST destroy all the villains in my LGS
>DAAAMN YOU WIIIZARDS!!

Tell me /tg/: why do you need to have perfect shiny decks? Why do you want to play competitvely on the highest levels?

>inb4: "It's a game and we're man. IT'S ABOUT WINNING."
Sure, but you could also safe your money, play other cards and lose one match more. Who cares? Everything below big ass tournaments isn't profitable anyways.
>>
>>44663727
And who are WotC gonna sell boxes to once LGS close because SCG and dealers have all the cards and people have stopped playing?

Faggot dealers may panic and undermine SCG's prices, but there won't be anyone left to play, all the enfranchised palyers would have their cards already and Hasbro would have left their idiot subsidiary kill the golden egg laying goose.

It's not speculation, it's the near future. LGS attendance is already under 40% world-wide from last year and WotC lost money on Q3 and further more in Q4.
>>
>>44663869
Why do you have the compulsive need to buy pieces of paper, mr. investor?

People want to win because winning lets you go infinite and play for free. You'd know it if you actually played and weren't just a cancer ruining the game and trying to justify yourself in 4chan with "economics".
>>
>>44663901
They dont care.

At the end, the game will be only for rich and rich collectors.

I guess its time to sell my tarmos
>>
>>44663931
>Why do you have the compulsive need to buy pieces of paper, mr. investor?

I don't buy single cards but booster packs (for Limited).

>People want to win because winning lets you go infinite
Sure. The endless dream of "going infinte". With your weekly FNM or what?

>and play for free.
Are you stupid? You have to pay a shitload to play. OK, you may play after that "for free".

>You'd know it if you actually played and weren't just a cancer ruining the game
I'm cancer because I encourage people to think less competitively instead of buying highly priced cards? Sure.
>>
>>44660508
Just wait until neither it nor snapcaster mage are
>>
>>44661002
Dig is banned
>>
>>44663869
It's not necessarily about perfect shiny decks. It's about decks that work.

There is no substitute to Inquisition except Thoughtseize. It is important that the deck they're in hits both creatures and key spells. No, you can't just play Duress. You will lose a significant number of games not wrecking their hand early.

This is not the same as Path to Exile. Often you can just substitute Path to Exile for a substantially cheaper card like Doom Blade. In fact, you probably can substitute 4-core Burn cards with Incinerate clones and still do fine. You won't lose significant percentage points here.

The problem here is that people never think about what makes a deck tick until someone makes a move on a card. Splinter Twin is a key card, Inquisition is a key card, Mox Opals are a key card. Shit like Grove of the Burnwillows isn't a key card so that doesn't make any fucking sense.

I'm not excusing anything here. What has happened with card pricing has gotten out of hand. I do feel though that if individual players weren't completely retarded they would have slowly purchased these cards quietly. Even casuals should have the capacity to realize that Inquisition was the poor man's Thoughtseize and Path to Exile was the poor man's Swords to Plowshares. This speaks to how ignorant the average player is. If the first playset of cards a new player doesn't acquire is a set of Doom Blades or Llanowar Elves, that is a failure of the community to teach newcomers, later, if they don't acquire Terminates (which are five dollars now) then we have to look at ourselves to blame as well as the scalpers. These are core effects and it baffles me that nobody realizes this shit until years after the fact when some faggots buy them out. I hate the scalpers, but this shit was all once two or three dollars. And it didn't take until someone TOLD people it was valuable that people decided it was valuable.
>>
>>44663901
>It's not speculation, it's the near future. LGS attendance is already under 40% world-wide from last year and WotC lost money on Q3 and further more in Q4.
I can speak for attendance being down. I don't know what fucking lies Wizards is spewing but nobody is playing Magic anymore at stores. However, my stores report that their kitchen table people are still regularly coming in, and let's just admit they're the bulk of the sales. And I don't mean that old blood has grown up and left, I mean the younger players don't stick around.

WotC may be losing money but that is probably their D&D dragging it down. Hasbro's annual report stated that Magic was still highly profitable for them and they're continuing to expand paper and digital sales opportunities.
>>
>>44664136

Grove of the Burnwillows is Tron's sole source of G/R (the R/G painland essentially gives Burn a bye against it). So yeah, it's a limited supply automatic 4 of in a top tier deck.
>>
>>44664177
That doesn't mean it can't be substituted for the painland or shockland. Grove is obviously the superior choice, no doubt, but you can afford to lose the burn matchup especially when Tron still wrecks tons of other top tier decks.

I guess Grove pricing makes sense when you take the insane price of everything else into context. Inquisition is more than Thoughtseize now simply because it is the dominant option.

I guess my brain is thinking that you can just play the painland and seriously just forget the burn matchup, it's not like there is any other aggro deck that can threaten Tron. Like how you're probably not going to lose any significant percentage points playing Doom Blade in place of Path to Exile.
>>
>>44664175
>I mean the younger players don't stick around.
That's not surprising. When the market strategy is to lure in as many new players as possible it only makes sense that you will eventually run out of people who might be willing to pick up the game and that most of them will eventually quit.

I believe WotC's own numbers said that the average Magic player sticks with the game for seven years and then put their cards away or sells them. If I were to guess many of the players brought in during the acquisition plan stayed far shorter than that. For many of them Magic was likely something to play with friends during lunch break in high school and such.
>>
>>44663948
I'm with you, I already put my modern cards on sale. Going to keep cheaper legacy cards as that's main format for local proxy tournaments. People are getting really fed up with price bullshit over here. How can anyone justify MtG prices anymore in any possible way? Vintage prices have been a joke of decade, legacy prices have been a reason format is dying for a while, modern is pretty close to legacy price and standard is getting out of hands too.
>>
>>44664228
>I guess my brain is thinking that you can just play the painland and seriously just forget the burn matchup
Well this is just retarded, because Tron actually wins or loses the burn match on those 1 or 2 lifepoints from Grove vs a pain land. Pyroclasm isn't as efficient vs guides and spears if you take 1 every time you cast it without an egg + possible Eidolon trigger or stirrings for O-Stone when you have tron online the next turn. In g2/3 you can claim your own eggs since star still gives you the draw and map does nothing if your only play would be t3 karn and the difference between gaining 3 or 4 is crucial.
>>
I'm not going to put my cards on sale. I bought into this game as a sunk cost, I never intended to cash out, even though the incentive to cash out now is certainly tempting for most people.

I paid money, I got entertainment. Like going to the movies or going on a vacation.

I've already mothballed most of my stuff. I said goodbye to my store years ago but still do non-Magic things with the people I met. I still shop there, I just don't play Magic anymore. Sometimes it's temping to attend a pre-release and I'd still have fun, but I'd feel disgusted about what Magic has become, how Wizards decided that they just couldn't afford to give away Emrakuls and Wurmcoils as promos. How I've seen Char and Figure of Destiny reprinted a billion times.
>>
>>44664309
I wouldn't mind putting money for my entertainment, but currently price you have to pay for playing mtg is not okay. Not okay at all. Even budget decks are pretty pricey.
>>
new thread before this one dies
>>44664354
>>44664354
>>
>>44664301
My point is that I don't give a fuck about losing to Burn. Ever. And nobody should care either, it's the goldfish deck. Win or lose you're sitting across from the most effortless deck in the history of Magic.

To save yourself $400 now from buying Groves you can just lose to burn and calculate how much self-burn you did to yourself. See how many turns it bought you. You still get your understanding of the Tron matchup as you've explained, you just didn't have to spend $400 to do it.
>>
>>44660927
>T3 drop literally any land, 2nd temple would be ideal
>You can now drop a Reality Smasher and swing for 9, a processed Blight Herder or an Oblivion Sower
>>
>>44663430
I keep seeing this "willingness to pay" and I seriously don't think that's what's going on here.

Do I want to pay $150 dollars for a goyf? $100 for a lili? $65 for a snapcaster? Hell fucking no.

It's because there's no alternative to those cards and their prices are being controlled a by a select few big retailers, a monopoly if I'm not mistaken. So no I don't want to pay this much for X card but I can't play the game unless I have this card so I have no other choice to but to just buy it once I have enough money to safely spend on it. It's about as willing as a game of saw.

The next logical argument here is to just stop playing the game but if it was really that easy to do magic would have been out of business a long time ago. No card game in existence can capture the feel and enjoyment of magic. Trust me, I've tried.
>>
>>44664886
I know, FoW at the end of the day its not magic, even with the similar mechanics. Butin my case, i didnt enter the world of mtg to become a pro player and play big tourneys, I joined to play with my friends. Now my friends are not playing mtg and moved to FoW because of stupid spikes in card prices.

I'm keeping my commander deck since i met nice people in the commander tournament and they think the same as me.
>>
>>44660834
>cat wanted to have a nice game of mtg
>shows up to your game
>sees dredge
>takes all its cards off the table and just looks at you disappointingly
>>
>>44664886
Always chinamen, don't feed the jews
Thread posts: 374
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.