[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can you face inevitability of death?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 30

File: tower_wizard_shift.gif (2MB, 300x369px) Image search: [Google]
tower_wizard_shift.gif
2MB, 300x369px
How can you face inevitability of death?
>>
Ghosts
>>
>>44649672
You live. Death is always there, is always inevitable. All around us things die.
>>
>>44649672
The desperate hope that technology will advance enough to make us immortal.

Besides that, the fact that if I may as well live as die, I choose the reality where I get to play vidya, watch animu and shitpost about tabletop roleplaying games. IC, much the same.
>>
Violence

Willpower

Vaseline
>>
>>44649672

Eating that pussy, baby.
>>
>>44649672

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.
>>
>>44649672
Do you remember your existence before you were born? You don't? That's what its like when you die. It's hard to imagine, because your entire life you've been in a state of existence, the human mind can't comprehend a lack of existence. Then again, nobody knows what awaits you beyond this mortal coil.
>>
>>44649672
I'm looking forward to it, but I still want to watch some movies and stuff before I face the sweet embrace.
>>
>>44649672
Inevitably.
>>
>>44649672
>How can you face inevitability of death?
I turn around
>>
With a smile
>>
>>44649672
Wait for the singularity, and the immortality that comes with it.
>>
File: Simple_Codes.jpg (460KB, 1280x921px) Image search: [Google]
Simple_Codes.jpg
460KB, 1280x921px
>>44649672
Like a knight.
>>
File: 1452260840529.jpg (23KB, 218x300px) Image search: [Google]
1452260840529.jpg
23KB, 218x300px
>>44649672
Why the fuck would I face it?
I'm 20 and I have shit to do and time to waste. I know dead is a possibility, but there are infinite possibilities every day, why the fuck would I focus on the depressing ones?

Escapism is really not as bad as people say it is, "living in the real world" is subjective crap anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 640x640px
>>44649672
Fuck it dude, lets go bowling.

>have fun
>>
>>44652429

Thats me, after a Phish show, hanging with some Infinity bros, sucking nitrous, flipping death the bird. Every day is a gift OP, enjoy them all.
>>
The same way I face everything else; poorly.
>>
>>44651893
Oh, are we getting immortality with the singularity? I thought we got total erasure of the human race.
>>
>>44649672
How can't you face it?
>>
Live well, with death in mind. Have children and a wife, contribute to society.

It works. I suggest skimming Heidegger for advice if you're the kind of person who can't handle being ordinary.
>>
>>44652743
What's the difference?
>>
>>44652826
One is eternal life, the other is eternal death.
Or are we going into machine-human hybrids? Because I would be ok with that. Yeah let's do that.
>>
>>44649672
1d6 damage at a time.
>>
>>44652879
I more meant, if we end up just replacing ourselves with immortal machines that's just evolution isn't it?

I always assumed the idea of the singularity was that the line between man and machine becomes pointless. So it doesn't matter if you were built artificially or had your brain uploaded, because everyone is functionally a robot.

That would be the extinction of Homo Sapiens, but it would also mean everyone lives for ever.
>>
>>44649672
Live, laugh, love, and fight to the end.
>>
>>44652805
>contribute to society
What's that even mean
>>
clickety clack get into my sack
>>
>>44652965
Well, that does sound reasonable. It feel like these new beings wouldn't be 'us' in any way since they don't reproduce or process knowledge like we do, but then again, it could just be an extension of our own brainpower, we made these new beings after all.

Boy, alcohol and existential questions, ain't that the way to spend a Friday night?
Wait, how is this thread related to /tg/ again? Were we supposed to answer in character or something?
>>
By faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
>>
>>44653096
It's kind of a chicken or egg thing. Eventually we stop replacing ourselves with little fleshy versions of ourselves and start doing it with metal versions. Apes turned into humanlike apes then humans. Humans turn into machinelike humans then machines.
>>
>>44652990
It probably means whatever you feel 'contributing to society' means. Helping others, being successful at something, contributing to the general knowledge, just doing a simple job and be happy with it, do sort-of productive stuff on the internet... Whateeeeeever you want buddy.
>>
A sense of humour helps.
>>
>>44650488
my dad always says this. The existence before you were born part.
>>
>>44653184
Probably, but then again, you could also look at it differently, feeling like we lost our humanity.
It's too grand of a subject to make reasonable predictions about.
>>
File: 1414060749992.jpg (44KB, 495x498px) Image search: [Google]
1414060749992.jpg
44KB, 495x498px
>nobody mentions dying for the emperor as the ultimate fulfilment
Thread confirmed for heresy.
>>
>>44649672

Do stuff other than dying.
>>
>>44653376
>we are all dying
>>
>>44649672
Faith that death isn't the true end.
>>
>>44649672
Trough the acceptance of ephemerality and the importance of relativity in giving sense and purpose to both the big and little actions.
>>
>>44650205

If life seems jolly rotten
there's something you've forgotten
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
If you're feeling in the dumps
don't be silly chumps
just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing.
>>
File: Death is nothing to us.jpg (944KB, 2966x2098px) Image search: [Google]
Death is nothing to us.jpg
944KB, 2966x2098px
>>44650488
>>
File: Steampunk 5.jpg (975KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Steampunk 5.jpg
975KB, 2560x1440px
Leave a legacy
>>
File: marisa grin_1.png (589KB, 733x733px) Image search: [Google]
marisa grin_1.png
589KB, 733x733px
>>44649672

By living until I die.
>>
File: gandalf.png (511KB, 1906x798px) Image search: [Google]
gandalf.png
511KB, 1906x798px
>>44649672
With an angel by your side.
>>
File: Teddy Motherfuckin' Roosevelt.jpg (67KB, 920x600px) Image search: [Google]
Teddy Motherfuckin' Roosevelt.jpg
67KB, 920x600px
>>44649672
I lie in wait.
>>
>>44649672
With dignity and composure.
>>
File: CmkcHbN.jpg (109KB, 728x541px) Image search: [Google]
CmkcHbN.jpg
109KB, 728x541px
Live forever, or die trying.
>>
File: WHAT IS A MAN.jpg (67KB, 600x764px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT IS A MAN.jpg
67KB, 600x764px
>>44649672
It's pretty easy when he's gunning for the other guys and not you.
>>
File: Heaven's Gates.jpg (20KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
Heaven's Gates.jpg
20KB, 550x412px
>>44649672
When I die, I shall welcome death.

Anon, the inevitability of death is really only the inevitability of reunion with God and the next stage of your adventure. Do not seek death, but do not fear it, either. When it comes, embrace it, and go into the light.

I'll meet you there, friend.
>>
File: Ezekiel's Vision.jpg (155KB, 900x582px) Image search: [Google]
Ezekiel's Vision.jpg
155KB, 900x582px
>>44653160
Brother. I reckon I'll join you after this act, too, then.
>>
>>44649672
Like any other unavoidably unpleasant experience in life it's best to get it out of the way first.
>>
I'm not because I can't.

Cryonics.
>>
>>44652743
>singularity
At best you will exist forever, but you will no longer really be alive or human in the biological sense.

At worst, you will be killed by robots.
>>
>>44650488
I imagine it would be like a dreamless sleep, lasting for eternity.
>>
>>44650488
>Do you remember your existence before you were born?
When I was younger, I did. It was a sort of boundless eternal horror that I never had the words to really describe.

Fortunately, it faded with time, though I can still recall my fear at those memories I no longer have.
>>
>>44657547
Why thank you that's very reassuring.
>>
>>44649672
You can't, really. Death is either a concept which can't be experienced, or somewhat the same in an afterlife. Technically I've nonexisted for billions of years up until I was born, and that wasn't so bad. How heavy is the rest of eternity if I won't be there, really?
>>
File: a huge faggot.gif (22KB, 144x337px) Image search: [Google]
a huge faggot.gif
22KB, 144x337px
>>44650095
And a huge faggot.
>>
>>44657594
The closest I can come to explaining what it felt like was awareness of being something incredibly small in the midst of something incredibly vast and violent. Like what you might imagine an ant in a thunderstorm might feel like.
>>
>>44657696
Next you're going to start telling me of the unspeakable tentacle faced horrors that resided there.
>>
>>44649672
I used to be able to just fine, then I turned 18. Shit kind of just clicked for me then, and now I'm super depressed.
>>
Fearlessness is better than a faint-heart
for any man who puts his nose out of doors.
The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago.

The Norsemen had some interesting views of death.
>>
File: make good.jpg (886KB, 1235x766px) Image search: [Google]
make good.jpg
886KB, 1235x766px
Death is inevitable, but the impact we leave on the world (or lack thereof) is not.
>>
>>44649672
Personally, I sold my soul to a pagan goddess in exchange for an afterlife.
>>
>>44658159
You could have just lived a free life and then asked Jesus to save your on your deathbed instead of giving yourself over to an ancient evil.
>>
>>44653317

In the long run, you may want to turn into subatomic particles as a way to survive the inevitable Death Heat of this Universe. Everything will be run veeeerrry slowly with every single thought lasting millions and billions of years.
>>
>>44658095
why is thor a camel here?
>>
>>44658326
Nah, just look into a way of uploading your conscious into an artificial simulation that can simulate millions of years in a few seconds, so even just before the end you have tons of time to come up with a solution and figure out what the fuck to do
>>
>>44649672
Death is the one thing in this life that every one is promised. It is the great equalizer. No matter how rich, famous, attractive or powerful you are we all end up the same way. And a hundred years we will all be forgotten. Sure your accolades and accomplishments no matter how big or how small, good or bad may be passed on and remembered for ages to come but in 100 hundred year there will not be a person left on this planet that remembers you. No one that can remember your voice, your laugh, or all the little, sometimes annoying, quirks that make you who you truly are. Because at the end of the day to real you is not the one that is written about in history books or immortalized in song.

In some way no matter how sad it may seem the idea that eventually we will all be forgotten brings me some sort of peace and allows me not to worry about death any longer.
>>
>>44657696
Holy fuck I used to have terrors when I was younger of that same feeling but they always ended in a blinding light and silence. During them it was like a background roar but I couldn't really make it out until it was gone.
>>
>>44658637
>>44657696
>implying those are memories of pre-existence
>implying you aren't remembering what it was like to be a fetus in the womb
>>
>>44658789
What ever it was it led to me being terrified of being alone for years.
>>
File: rainy cemetery.gif (935KB, 400x214px) Image search: [Google]
rainy cemetery.gif
935KB, 400x214px
>>44655830
That's fine for you, bud, but if there's one thing I know?

No matter who's right about what it looks like, I ain't goin' to Heaven.

>>44649672
With trepidation and the knowledge that it is better than I deserve.
>>
>>44649672
>how do you
I don't. Ignoring it until it gets me. Acknowledging leads to downward spiral-ish trains of thought.
>>
Anybody here read Lucretius? His most known position was that it was a good thing there was no immortality. Not only do we avoid being the playthings of gods in the afterlife forever and ever but no existence after death means we will feel none of the anxiety we have about death when we actually experience it.

It will be like what it was before we were born. And no one worries about the life they didn't live before they were born.

I also found Lord Dunsany's story of Hades and Odysseus to be very inspiring on a personal level. It is very short, so I think I will post the whole thing in case anyone in this thread feels some existential pains.

It is story about how heroes die.
>>
>>44659492
In the Olympian courts Love laughed at Death, because he was unsightly, and because She couldn’t help it, and because he never did anything worth doing, and because She would.

And Death hated being laughed at, and used to brood apart thinking only of his wrongs and of what he could do to end this intolerable treatment.

But one day Death appeared in the courts with an air and They all noticed it. “What are you up to now?” said Love. And Death with some solemnity said to Her: “I am going to frighten Odysseus”; and drawing about him his grey traveller’s cloak went out through the windy door with his jowl turned earthwards.

And he came soon to Ithaca and the hall that Athene knew, and opened the door and saw there famous Odysseus, with his white locks bending close over the fire, trying to warm his hands.

And the wind through the open door blew bitterly on Odysseus.

And Death came up behind him, and suddenly shouted.

And Odysseus went on warming his pale hands.

Then Death came close and began to mouth at him. And after a while Odysseus turned and spoke. And “Well, old servant,” he said, “have your masters been kind to you since I made you work for me round Ilion?”

And Death for some while stood mute, for the thought of the laughter of Love.

Then “Come now,” said Odysseus, “lend me your shoulder,” and he leaning heavily on that bony joint, they went together through the open door.
>>
File: hogfather.jpg (59KB, 400x526px) Image search: [Google]
hogfather.jpg
59KB, 400x526px
>>44649672
I remember that there is just him
>>
>>44649672
People die, duh. Nothing scary or unusual here.
>>
>>44657547
Fuck now I remember this too.
>>
>>44649672
A screeching, nigh inconsolable, autistic cry of rage that will drive back the darkness and despair, but cost you three Good Boy points.
>>
>>44649672
Become Undead
>>
I have medications for that.
>>
>>44649672
death is what makes life worth living, if no one ever died why would anyone do anything? the thought that it must all end eventually is what makes life so cherished.

that and fear, lots of fear, fear and crying.
>>
>>44649672
Simple.
Try not to think about it for as long as I can.
>>
Life is only the first act, and I shall happily take my bow at curtain, then await the second.
>>
>>44650205

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.
>>
>>44649672
With a smile and clever one liner.
>>
> cool one liners the thread
>>
>>44657547
WUT THE ACTUAL FUCK...

I thought this was just some leftover shit from a horror movie I saw as a child, or some ass hole babysitter read me Lovecraft as a bed time story when I was 2 or something. Either way, what you described is the same for me. Now I'm spooped, guys. Is this a topic we need to take to /x/?
>>
>>44658287
>implying Jesus isn't just one of many gods offering after life for your soul
>implying anything besides Jesus is inherently evil

Not the guy you replied to, but I did the same. The worst my goddess did was turn an arrogant cunt into a spider. Yours killed a bunch of innocent children in egypt, and allowed the torture of one of his moth faithful worshipers for a bet, among other things.

Hell, even Odin would be better. At least he keeps his promises. I don't see any ice giants around, do you?
>>
>>44649672
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqihaEPq_lY
>>
>>44653317
Humanity is what you make of it.
>>
>>44658419
it's not thor it's beta ray bill
>>
File: Black_Dragon_young.jpg (53KB, 567x504px) Image search: [Google]
Black_Dragon_young.jpg
53KB, 567x504px
With a sword in my hand and courage in my heart.
>>
File: d66c4ud.jpg (454KB, 567x700px) Image search: [Google]
d66c4ud.jpg
454KB, 567x700px
>>44649672
By acquiring certainty of the afterlife.
>>
>>44662819
>>44655830
>>44653537
>>44653160
I will see you on the flipside, my friends.
>>
>>44662838
You guys seem like a chill bunch of people.
>>
>>44659513
10/10. Thanks for this. Truly inspiring.
>>
>>44664533
Thank you: I think that you too are a swell person.
>>
>ctrl+f
>"lich"
>0
Come on, is this /tg/
>>
>>44666073
The people hoping for the singularity/transhumanist tech to save them are basically aiming to become liches.

There's not much difference between leading your consciousness into a backup hard drive and transferring your soul into a phylactery.
>>
I have it with my head held high, eyes forward, chest out, and dick in hand
>>
>>44649672
By remembering that she will always be there for you and will love you no matter what.
>>
>>44649672
By knowing that even if I will die
My life was well memed
>>
>>44667550
Do you mean that Death will always be there an will love you, or is your waifu already dead and waiting for you on the other side?
>>
>>44649672
Play an OD&D Magic-User.
You get one random spell that you can cast once per day. 1-4 hitpoints and death at 0hp. No armor, no weapons except dagger, staff or concussive huge stick.

And when you die, roll another wizard.
No matter what, always roll wizards.
Until one day you have a Name level Wizard who rules the kingdom through clever schemes, manipulation and a lot of money. And then die murdered by a first level assassin who succeeded at their assassinate ability against you.

Then play said assassin.
>>
>>44649672
You're just a collection of emotions and memories, which are composed of electrical impulses in your brain tissue. When you body rots away you cease to experience the endless span of time that goes on as the universe continues until its own eventual death. I like to imagine however that eventually the universe will collapse upon itself and be born again in another big bang, spreading the elements of existence out again. Over such a large span of time its completely possible for your random collection of elements to reassemble and thus you'll be reborn too. So maybe you never really die?
>>
I don't want all of you to die.
>>
>>44669143
We will meet on the other side. I imagine this worldy experience as part of an educational program for higher beings (maybe even punishment or reward, depending on the life and ones perception of it).
>>
>>44669454
But I'm not going to meet you on the other side. Through advanced medicine and technology, I will become effectively immortal.

At least, that's the plan.

I guess I'm going to get used to the fact that I'm going to have to deal with people dying. But I still find the prospect of your deaths a sad one.
>>
>>44669552
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe
You will. One day. You might just be late to the party.
>>
>>44669637
Entropy, like Mortality, is but one of the seemingly immutable laws that will be bent and broken by human advancement.
>>
>>44652805
it doesn't work if you're in horrible pain.
naive little shit
>>
>>44649897
Is it strage that I regret to have found chans/imageboards/forums on one hand, because I waste so much time here, and on the hand feel good whenever I think about all the cool stuff I discovered though them, like fitness, weapons, RPGs and 40k?
>>
File: Caim3.png (106KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
Caim3.png
106KB, 600x390px
>>44649672
By fighting to the bitter end.
>>
>>44669809
Do you ~actually~ mean horrible pain, as in someone with a terminal illness or something similar that lives every day in physical agony or torturous incapability, or do you mean the generic crushing angst or suicidal depression that a large chunk of the population experiences and eventually comes to term with?
>>
File: 1422078604933.png (330KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1422078604933.png
330KB, 1920x1080px
>>44670895
I have a lot of time to waste at this point in my life, so I figure 4chan isn't too bad a use of my time. Except it's lead to having way too much porn, and not much to talk about when hanging with friends.

It doesn't feel wasted to me. I have so many happy moments, funny memories, stupid jokes and amazing things I discovered only thanks to discussions and image dumps and all the random twists and turns that happen here. The only thing I really regret is that I know I can't be here forever, and that someday I'll look at the places I used to spend so much time on and barely recognize them.
>>
>>44650205
Wrong.

Emotion, yet peace
Ignorance, yet knowledge
Passion, yet serenity
Chaos, yet harmony
Death, yet the Force
>>
>>44670895

Yeah, you're a homo
>>
>>44659492
>>44659513
Fuckin Lord Dunsany, man
>>
>>44653317
>Probably, but then again, you could also look at it differently, feeling like we lost our humanity.
Do you think our ancestors lamented losing their apeness?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tboDnpE7Y
>>
I've been dead for twenty-five years. I assume it will be no different.
>>
>>44671775
The change wouldn't really be comparable. The potential leap in composition, capability, and intelligence would likely come with a complete discarding of many of the human weaknesses that we currently value, like our fallible and primitive emotions. Such biological, meaningless motivators as the pursuit of pleasure, procreation, etc. would eventually be left behind by successor entities dispassionately seeking to increase the distance between themselves and their pitifully simple ancestors in their ambitions of limitless cognitive improvement, replacing inefficiencies in their neurologies until such a point as they lose any but the most fundamental similarities to their predecessors.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this, just that it's unrealistic to expect that such entities would be "us, but given ultimate power, intelligence, and self-expression." They would see no need to express themselves and affect the world after attaining sufficient intelligence as to view any such action as unnecessary and discarding the biological mechanisms responsible for wanting to engage in such behaviours.

I also think the singularity/transhumanism cult is largely unrealistic and overoptimistic, but that's besides the point
>>
>>44649672
By accepting life is transient, even the life of the universe.
>>
>>44673145
>The change wouldn't really be comparable.
Of course it would be. Logarithmically, like all evolutionary development has always been.
>>
>>44673466
But it's not evolution in the sense that you're probably thinking of, nor is it evolution in the scientific sense of the term, nor would what succeeds us by our own calculated design likely even meet the definition of life. It's deliberated self-modification or replacement into wholly artificial constructs that would almost certainly not engage in the same behaviours we engage in, that we define life as following; if we create a computer with complexity and sapience meeting or exceeding that of a human brain, can it be called life if it does not act as life does by our scientific context of it? We like to conceive of all of these AIs in science fiction that act essentially as hyperintelligent humans with perfect networking capability, but that very intelligence would render it completely inhuman -- and for that matter, unlike any form of life -- in its actions or "desires", if it even cares to simulate the neural reward and punishment systems responsible for desire. If its created "mind" includes a fundamental and irrevocable system that simulates biological desires, then it becomes an entity incapable of the infinite cognitive self-improvement purported to be its purpose, as evangelised by the singularity cult. There is a fundamental incapability between the networked entity unbounded in intelligence -- a discontinuation of life, and wholly unrecognisable as human -- and the hedonistic cyber-god of cultist fantasy that essentially exists as a human mind in a creche of tools of unprecedented advancement and capability -- very potentially a continuation of life, but by no means is it a next-step in the chain of evolutionary development that humans and our ape ancestors find ourselves within, any more than the human typing today on his computer is a next step in evolutionary development as compared to his ancestor a few generations prior, despite the capabilities of this human being much greater.
>>
>>44657547
I have a singular very early memory of utter terror as well, blackness and fear.
It's what I think of when I consider Death.
>>
>>44666919
I know that if I'm ever integrated into a super-intelligence I'll vote for a giant golden skeleton as our physical form
>>
File: death.jpg (103KB, 590x831px) Image search: [Google]
death.jpg
103KB, 590x831px
>>44667682
death is the best waifu
>>
>>44669552
>aggressively dropping out of god highschool
>>
>>44649672
Everything Dies.
People, Animals, Towns, Nations, Worlds, Stars.

We're all on a time-limit.

Let's enjoy what time we have.
>>
>people being afraid of dying
Do you fucking understand how bored you would get if you lived forever? I havent done like 1 trillionth of all the things I could do in life and I still get bored. I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be once you have actually gotten around to doing all the things. You would never even get to enjoy the novelty of a new experience again. I would rather be dead.
>>
>>44649672
Hands up, chin down,and looking to do some dirty boxing.
>>
>>44678188
I'd rather be bored than be unable to feel or do anything ever again. If nothing else I can enjoy thinking and imagining.
>>
>>44678622
You will eventually think every thought as well. You dont understand how long forever is anon
>>
>>44678188
>people being afraid of dying
I can't do any fucking thing about it, I just get fucking scared
>>
>>44649672
You don't have to. There is no competition or conflict.
>>
>>44678657
And on some level, I don't fucking care. Either I'll start to forget most of my past and learn from the people of the future, my viewpoints changing as well as my thoughts, or I'll end up doing different things while working through my immortality, or I'll deal with the fact that I'm fucking bored forever, because it's still better than absolutely fucking nothing, all of me and who I am gone.
>>
>>44658095
>>44658419

beta ray bill is fucking hilarious, form a geek standpoint.

in many ways, he's cooler than Thor.
>>
>>44677611
Hey, some great people are High-School Dropouts.

>>44678188
All the other immortal people would just go around creating new things for you to experience. The amount of Media created will be more than the time you have to watch them.

And do you really think you'll ever get bored of playing in campaigns?
>>
>>44662838
BROTHERS
IT'S BEEN TOO LONG
Maybe I'll see one of you at church tomorrow
>>
>>44679081
>>44662640
I don't even care about why he looks like a camel, I just wanna say that "Beta Ray Bill" is a stupid fucking name and I hate the sound of it. And that cap that always gets posted is some euphoric shit but nobody ever comments on that
fucking hell I didn't even realized I disliked it this much
>>
>>44657696
>The closest I can come to explaining what it felt like was awareness of being something incredibly small in the midst of something incredibly vast and violent.
Yeah, ur mum is rather fat and beats your pussy dad something awful
>>
>>44679183
Beta Ray Bill is a kick ass name what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>44679183
>hating on Beta Ray Bill
Now I know this is bait
>>
>>44679294
Beta's a Greek letter and the rest of it sounds like somebody stole the middle and last names of a hillbilly and just stuck 'em there.
>>44679330
Honestly, I don't know anything about the guy other than what I can glean from that panel. I have no idea why he's wearing Thor's costume either. I'm clueless. But I don't like the impression of him that I already have and I don't really have a reason to look into him any further other than that people on here seem to like him
>>
>>44679412
>doesn't know about Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays
>"I have no idea who this guy is, so I'll just hate him based on a single cropped image from one comic"
>not willing to do a quick google search
Yeah, no, you're a faggot, stop posting anytime
>>
>>44679460
>doesn't know about Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays
Well, in my defense of this one, "Ray" is also a name. I didn't really have the context for that.
>"I have no idea who this guy is, so I'll just hate him based on a single cropped image from one comic"
I don't really hate him, I just thought his name sounded dumb and I think the dialogue from that image is dumb. And he does look like a horse, which is silly.
sheesh
>>
File: Celtic Cross.png (12KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
Celtic Cross.png
12KB, 224x224px
>>44662838
>>44664533
>>44679134
This whole thing warmed my heart. Seriously, I needed this after the borderline despair I felt while talking politics earlier. Godspeed, you glorious anonymous people, and greet the Reaper with a firm handshake and a smile.
>>
>>44679517
The horse part is an intentional design choice by Walt Simonson
He's an alien cyborg who kicked Thor's ass, turned out to be worthy when he picked up the hammer and got Thor's powers
>>
>>44678903
You fundamentally misunderstand what kind of reality you'd be living in. You're approaching this from the standpoint of a young and inexperienced human man still brimming with testosterone and desire. You're not thinking of the nature of your memories and your wants, or the changing of your perception of time, or the transmutation of your "viewpoints and thoughts" into every gamut of the spectrum, eventually, by the simple inevitability of probability and infinite time, to an outlook less attached to the world around you. You will grow tired of existing, and question what vanity and ego makes you care about whether or not you become nothing, what justifies your existence beyond the petty things you've experienced a million times over.

>>44679098
New experiences and media become shallow and ashen, as you experience more and more of it. Each piece of entertainment will seem increasingly less original and interesting, particularly as you remember every part of something you've absorbed, and every thought you've made on the subject matter. The same applies to "campaigns", once you've played enough of them, patterns repeating over and over and any semblance of originality and enjoyment being buried ever deeper in a grave of lost naivete. You will scrub your memory storage again and again and again to alleviate the boredom, until you grow tired of your meaningless existence and scrub your mind completely -- a form of suicide as real as destroying yourself and making a clone in your place. He will likely do the same, millions of copies scrubbing themselves until one decides to end the farce entirely.
>>
>>44680482
I find your views pessimistic.

We've already run out of original ideas in entertainment, and yet such entertainment still exists.

There is no reason for me to stop living outside of the fact that it is what would happen naturally.
>>
>>44680619
Addendum.

I'll be bored, you'll be dead. 'tis better to live a troubled existence than to not exist at all. I choose the former.
>>
"Gotta say, it's a pleasure to meet you. Can't rightly say I'm a fan of your work, but I've seen my fair share of it, and boy, you're prolific!"
>>
>>44659513
Truly, being Thanatos is suffering
>>
>>44680619
We're all incredibly young. When you have a mind that processes information thousands to millions of times faster than the modern human mind, and you live forever, then you consume all media and recognise all patterns common to such media. You grow desperate for novelty, but it will cease to exist, unless you wipe your memories and/or destroy your capabilities to recognise/retain the patterns you observe -- essentially, you must mentally mutilate yourself, just to hang on to pleasure and the human experience of things. We are simply regular humans, without perfect memories and unfathomable intelligence and an infinite lifespan, and so the issue does not present itself to most of us -- though many seniors, I've heard, do run into it in some form.

>>44680646
You're not listening. Given an infinite span of time, a complete grasp of all media and knowledge (including all the thousands of work discussing nihilism and death and human life), and a willingness to shift to an infinite variety of personalities and viewpoints, you will inevitably come to a viewpoint that accepts death, recognises the pointlessness of your desires and emotions, decides to stop scrubbing your memories, or what have you. You can only maintain the cycle of mental inhibition and self-mutilation for so long until you inflict some form of effective death upon yourself, whether that's the complete discarding of humanity and worldliness, infinite clone cycles, or literal suicide. The argument could be made that even your normal existence in the state you would prefer to be in would be a form of death, being trapped in an infinite and continuously regressive period of hedonism and self-indulgence, a lotus-eater's stasis.
>>
>>44680908
Okay, have fun ceasing to be after a brief century of existence.
>>
>>44671357
Alot of my talking points come from tg. Of course I refer to it as this image board I go to, or forum if I'm tired. There is a lot of good stuff here, paladin discussions, apace marines and wooden stairs, and of course the tangentially related history/religion threads.

I'm terribly interesting so this works out fairly well. I do feel bad about leaning on other people to comtribute to conversations.
>>
>>44680983
Even if I were "alive", there would be no fun left. You're not paying attention at all. Death is a cruelty to those that have experienced little, and a mercy to those that have experienced (perhaps literally) everything. You have experienced next to nothing, and so death is a cruelty to you -- I am also inexperienced, and so it would be a cruelty to me at this point in time, as well, but for some reason you refuse to share in the realisation of when it eventually becomes merciful.
>>
>>44681175
You're making an assumption that it will be.

If I change my mind at a later point in time, I'll accept it as a mercy. But I believe that point will never come.

Are you really willing to die before living at least 500 years?
>>
>>44681362
I'm not making an assumption, I'm stating the natural conclusion of what would happen to a hyperintelligent human mind with absolutely nothing left to experience and perfect recollection.

I'm perfectly willing, I very much desire, to indulge in everything I can if such an apotheosis were to come to pass. Maybe it would take me ten thousand years to do so, or a million, or maybe a single decade. But I recognise that when there's nothing left for me, my existence becomes wholly pointless, and death becomes welcome. The joys of the human experience cannot last forever, even if you give the human itself the capacity to, unless you trap the human in a cycle of memory mutilation and true unchanging, simply another, far crueler form of death.
>>
>>44681170
>I do feel bad about leaning on other people to comtribute to conversations.
Everyone does that.
>>
>>44649672
Challenge him to a game of chess so that I can do one meaningful thing before I die.
>>
File: Kill here often.png (151KB, 391x228px) Image search: [Google]
Kill here often.png
151KB, 391x228px
>>44657868

Roll to seduce.
>>
>>44681665
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8JTcMABM9Q
>>
>>44649672
The fact that everyone dies at one point or another.

Immortality is an illusion made by fools and cowards.
>>
>>44651893
Even if you do somehow manage to copy our brains to a computer, really all you're doing is just making an AI with similar thought patterns and memories, your meat body will still exist, and will still age and die
>>
>>44682724
Actually we'll be using Nanobots to keep our flesh bodies alive indefinitely.
>>
>>44679547
Remember anon: death is only the beginning.
>>
>>44681903
I hope you've seen The Seventh Seal
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-10-02-43-31.png (302KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-10-02-43-31.png
302KB, 480x800px
>>44649672
>>
>>44658095
we die twice, the first time physically and the second time when our names are spoken for the last time. everyone you have ever known or loved will be stricken from this earth without a trace by time, in a thousand years all the places you knew will be no more and all traces of us will have faded 80 years is a terribly short time and in no way enough to experience the reality we live In. all that is seems to be so randomly. All that is is simply a statistical improbability, all of our lives and all of history is simply an accident without purpose. All that life is is a blink of an eye and a step into The Void.
>>
fapping
>>
File: DUANE.gif (2MB, 374x254px) Image search: [Google]
DUANE.gif
2MB, 374x254px
By knowing I'm going to figure out what's the deal with death before any of the fuckers around me.

You lose again, shitheads.
>>
>>44649672
I will ask death to get in the sack.

I'll die old having lived well.
>>
>>44649672
Take up necromancy to become a lich.
>>
I'm religious and I believe that whatever happens to people after death is just.

So, I strive to be worthy, through deed and thought.

Sometimes I wish there was nothing but Oblivion after death and I was certain of it. I would have killed myself a long time ago to be done with this nonsense.

But I do not believe in oblivion, so I shall grasp a firm handhold which will never break. I shall strive towards discipline, knowledge, charity. To purify and increase myself in strength so I might prove worthy.

I shall also try to enjoy this world, for to strive for happiness and contentedness are religious goals as well.

And when death comes, oh what an interesting day that shall be.
>>
File: 1334795421967.gif (479KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1334795421967.gif
479KB, 500x281px
>>44657547
I have never heard of this. No one I have ever known spoke of such things, and I myself have no memory of anything resembling this.

Intriguing. If death is horror, then I suppose I am ready for it, because I have always imagined nothing good can come from losing control of your own existence.
>>
>>44686099
Keep in mind that any memories of pre-existence would be of something perceived by someone who was basically the equivalent of an infant at the time; someone who literally hasn't experienced anything.

Tons of stuff is terrifying when you're little that isn't when you've grown up. Most children fear the dark, even in their own bedrooms at night, but that passes when you realize there's nothing to be afraid of.

Even if post-existence is the same as pre-existence, it may not be horror anymore when you return there.
>>
>>44659674
"There is no just is, there is only just us."
"What can the harvest hope for but the care of the reaperman."
>>
>>44680482
You're immortal. Consume all Media. Watch a new species evolve. Do literally anything you want. You get bored, go into a bunker and buy a fuckton of sedatives. Set a timer and lie down. You'll wake up in a millenia in a new world. You can do everything in that world, and then repeat it. Fuck, just throw yourself into space someday. If the universe is infinite, you will never run out of things to do. If you hibernate every once in a while, when you wake up you'll have more, completely different media. Someone who'd read every book in 1016 couldn't even comprehend some of the media we have, what's to say that won't happen again?
>>
"Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die."

And even with this insight Morty still cares for others and tries to do the right thing. Meditate on why.
>>
>>44668542
There is a law of conservation of information. So, unless black holes are really as bad as we think, you will be remembered by the universe forever.
Maybe one day some chance or intelligence will bring you back.
>>
>>44649672

As long as I have my potato, I'll be alright.
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.