[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Night Wizards aka Weaboo Mage: The Awakening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

File: 1448193628116.jpg (343KB, 711x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1448193628116.jpg
343KB, 711x1000px
>bustan caskets
>huntan demons
>never actually having time for real life because the next conspiracy's just next door

https://mega.nz/#!GNhiWbaZ!pulG6rPIRHkoQLt9qsKUB1ONwhOQXSYPioYRCMqx9NE

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ubsz9f12jepxp1/Night+Wizard+3E.zip

So this came out a while ago, has anyone read it or perhaps even run a game so far? Core mechanic is 2d6 + mods, combat simple and while it's not rules-lite the crunch seems easy enough for almost anyone to pick up.
>>
bump for OP
>>
>>44621828
>>44623471
Did the guy who said they'd run it ever do it?
>>
>>44624107
Nope.
>>
File: 49477746_p1.jpg (263KB, 700x852px) Image search: [Google]
49477746_p1.jpg
263KB, 700x852px
>>44624107
>>44624182
Yes, actually. Ran the first sesh on Discord yesterday. I'd like to believe it was enjoyable for everyone involved.
>>44621828
It's a bit sad some parts of the book are missing (like the Lunar Logic chapter), but damn if it isn't fun to GM/play.Hope translatoranon turns up.
>>
>>44624592
How did you roll the dice on Discord?
>>
File: golden clawss.jpg (327KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
golden clawss.jpg
327KB, 1500x1125px
>>44624655
>How did you roll the dice on Discord?
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/discord-dice-app.161811/
With this thing. It's a bit basic (L5R dice are hardcoded rather than being tru R&K), but it serves its purpose well enough. The big thing about Discord I like is that it's quite a bit less resource-intensive than Skype and looks/sounds genuinely good for text and voice.

Since distances are abstracted in the F.E.A.R. system (there's really only four, namely In Your Face, On The Sidelines, Far Away and Off The Map) we had no use for Roll20's virtual tabletop either, and any images appear right there in the window.

Plus even those players who had serious potato phones could run the app, which helped hour-long breaks due to commuting. FUCK. TIMEZONES.

...and now I sound full shill. Sorry.
>>
>>44624744
Nah, I like Discord too but I don't have a reason to use it; my group uses Telegram for small games and RRPG Firecast for the weekly ones.
>>
>>44624780
>Telegram
Again, rolling how?
>Firecast
http://www.rrpg.com.br/ <--Looks depressingly Spanish.
>>
>>44624918
There are two or three working dicebots for Telegram. They work fine when not offline.

And RRPG is brazillian, full of hue and trolls for your monthly quota.
>>
>>44625019
>And RRPG is brazillian, full of hue and trolls for your monthly quota.
Brazil in relation to the internet is probably like earth in relation to the galactic community. That's why they never contacted us. They don't want to put up with our funposting.
>There are two or three working dicebots for Telegram. They work fine when not offline.
Good to know.
>>
>>44621828
Are their any AP's that exist, have been translated or could be translated?
>>
File: d-d-d-decode.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
d-d-d-decode.gif
1MB, 500x500px
>>44625893
>Are their any AP's that exist, have been translated or could be translated?
AFAIR the Japs quite enjoy reading APs, but actually finding them would be... tricky.
>>
>>44625893
Translator of NW3 here. There's a couple replays but to be totally honest I'm probably too shit to translate them. NW3 isn't SRS, but the Monotone Museum partial translation includes a replay translation, and they play similarly enough that you could somewhat get a feel for it.

But if you have questions on how to play it, ask away, I'll try to answer.
>>
>>44627603
What's "Lunar Logic" the other anon said?
>>
>>44627603
I just got done reading the Read Me file and... I'm gonna be honest, man, it makes me worried the rest of this is gonna be shit. You can't just start out with a thing that says "I'm bad at this and really lazy so I didn't even bother".

I know you're doing it for funsies, but you either need to get confident or just not bother. I mean, you don't HAVE to translate it, but I feel like if you are, you should try to translate the whole thing instead of telling us how bad you are.

>-- Remember when I said I wasn't that good at Japanese? Yeah... it takes me like five times as long to translate the flavor text, compared to the crunch text. Therefore, I only did it when the whim struck me to do it. Sorry.
You should do it anyway. I mean shit... you're doing this to PRACTICE.

If you want to learn Japanese, you should really translate as much of it as you can.
>>
>>44627687
You're absolutely right and I do actually intend on going back and doing more, maybe even the whole book. It'll take me awhile, though.

The lack of confidence I just need to work through.

>>44627626
I did translate the mechanical portions of Lunar Logic. They're found in the Enemy List, at the bottom of the Fortress Data tab.

Essentially Lunar Logic is... well, the reality inside of a Lunar Casket doesn't need to obey laws of reality, and so you can set effects that apply universally while within the Casket. So like, Vortex of Chaos. Whenever you roll a Critical, instead of getting +10 and rerolling, you get +15 and reroll. If you Fumble, instead of just cutting 10 from your modifiers and using that, you cut 15.

And all sorts of other effects. The book actually states you should have fun with it and do really wacky things. Since players can spend Prana to negate the effects of them entirely (on just themselves), it's not like there's much to lose by doing off the wall stuff.
>>
>>44627767
>>>44627626(You)
>I did translate the mechanical portions of Lunar Logic. They're found in the Enemy List, at the bottom of the Fortress Data tab.
>
>Essentially Lunar Logic is... well, the reality inside of a Lunar Casket doesn't need to obey laws of reality, and so you can set effects that apply universally while within the Casket. So like, Vortex of Chaos. Whenever you roll a Critical, instead of getting +10 and rerolling, you get +15 and reroll. If you Fumble, instead of just cutting 10 from your modifiers and using that, you cut 15.
>
>And all sorts of other effects. The book actually states you should have fun with it and do really wacky things. Since players can spend Prana to negate the effects of them entirely (on just themselves), it's not like there's much to lose by doing off the wall stuff.
Understood.
>>
What is this game about, if it can be called "Weaboo Mage: the Awakening"?
>>
>>44628827
Urban Fantasy with a masquerade thing going on. PCs are known as Wizards(a very loose term) who go dungeon crawling in pocket dimensions to kill the demons that control them to protect the world.

That's the simple explanation.
>>
>>44628827
>What is this game about, if it can be called "Weaboo Mage: the Awakening"?
In time before time, the Elders cast a magnificent spell that bound up all magic in an enormous barrier erasing both access and memory of it from existence.

As the era of miracles ended, the age of reason began, and thus mankind prospered unopposed by eldritch demon, unconquered by sorcerous king.

TL;DR: Magic is gone, but so are the things that go bump at night,. Or at least so everyone thought, until it turned out Hell found a way to invade reality by erecting pocket dimensions from which they could operate.

The PCs find these pocket dimensions and make the respective ruler dead before it can spread more mayham. Note that Wizards can trigger a Paradox-like effect since "magic" is still being prevented by any sleeper who witnesses it. In a way it's more Ascension than Awakening, except Paradox is far more impartial than in the former.
>>
bumppity
>>
>>44624107
>>44624592
>>44624655
>>44624182
>>44624744
>>44627603
Waitaminute, someone actually ran that? With these many holes in the translation, How? needs storytime.
>>
>>44631282
I think you're overestimating the holes there. Yeah, there's a lack of fluff but doing your own thing with a setting is pretty common in /tg/.
>>
>>44631282
One of the players in that campaign here. First session didn't have a whole lot going on due to timezones and setting things up. Basically got things introduced, characters met and bantered, spooky rituals happened, and we dived into our first Lunar Casket.

Not really worth a Storytime at this moment imo.

It's been fun so far though. Tomorrow's session should be the dungeon crawl proper so I can report back then if ya want.
>>
>>44631331
so like hust the statlines and combat, rest improvised. OK not my cuppa joe.
>>44631545
How weeb is it so far, whats the party like?
>>
>>44627767
>And all sorts of other effects. The book actually states you should have fun with it and do really wacky things. Since players can spend Prana to negate the effects of them entirely (on just themselves), it's not like there's much to lose by doing off the wall stuff.
Sounds like it could easily fuck parties with low prana members.
>>
>>44631636
It is very weeb so far. Party consist of thus:

Killing Machine/Edge Master: Really the only adult in the party at 18. Spaniard foreigner guy from a family of demon killers who modify themselves to fight them. Kind of the black sheep in that he's a ridiculous goof-off and really laidback. Despite being an 'Edge' Master his Magic 'Sword' is actually a giant hammer he's made even more gigantic with certain skills. Has the second highest average attack, but can deal the most max damage with certain per-scene skills. The most normal member so far.

Killing Machine/Great One: 16 year old guy that modified himself to get revenge on Emulators for killing his sister, and then turned out to be a minor deity. His player plays him as pretty much a parody of your typical edgy protagonist. Has the most well-rounded stats/abilities but can do some broken stuff with Great One skills once per episode or so.

Taoist/Gunslinger: A super spiritual 17 year old guy who lived off in the mountains for 3 years under the guidance of his spiritual cowboy master 3 years prior to the campaign. Dual wields magic pistols and handles healing. Banters with the previous character a lot.

Werewolf/Werewolf: My character. Took Animal Wizard and is a talking cat. basically got changed by the same thing that changes Werebeasts, which gave her human intellect and a lot of physical power. Has a strong sense of responsibility but is also pretty haughty and lazy because cat. Despite being tiny and the only character with no weapon, does the highest average damage.

Returner/Broomman: A magic sword robot that is also somehow the reincarnation of a Knight of Camelot. His mechano heart is full of justice and is on a globetrotting quest to find the other Knights reincarnated into sword-bots to restore his ancient kingdom. Ridiculously good defenses.
>>
>>44631718
It lasts til the end of the Scenario(i.e. until you get out of the Lunar Casket) so it's not that big of a deal.
>>
File: PDF test 1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
PDF test 1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Taoist Gunslinger here: I really do not like having to bounce between like 11 documents to read all the rules. So I made this in about 2 hours.

Note to self: Make PDF better next time.

Anyway, here you go. Have fun people. This is missing the Items, Skills, and Enemy stats that are in spreadsheets, but I hope this initial preview works.
>>
>>44632260
Kinda useful. Probably someone with better InDesign/Illustrator/Corel skills can make a better looking pdf.
>>
>>44632295
Again, main goal was to compile most of the rules in one document. Used OpenOffice to make the PDF.

Hella easy.
>>
File: 1247853403.png (3KB, 178x213px) Image search: [Google]
1247853403.png
3KB, 178x213px
>>44631986
Amazing.
>>
>>44632335
The best thing is I don't think this is even close to the most ridiculous characters you could make using this system.
>>
>>44632326
No need to scratch me, Neko-san. I just pointed out a *better looking* pdf, something with illustration scans from the books to illustrate the classes (someday in the faraway future).
>>
>>44632403
But he's the Gunslinger.
>>
>>44632403
Does anyone even have the original PDF?
>>
>>44632663
PlayAsia, AmiAmi and those sites I don't use have the physical books. It's just a problem of acquiring those and scaning, but I prefer finding the images online without having to buy or spend money.

>>44632437
He's da cat.
>>
>>44632847
>>44632260
>Taoist Gunslinger here
>>
>>44632847
Just wondering because I'm >>44631986 and I know moon(only around as good as the translator anon though). There's been a few times through play where I wanted to check untranslated stuff or double check how things were translated. Wouldn't mind helping a bit with the translation either.
>>
>>44632935
Oh, you da cat.

>>44632886
Mistooke you with da cat, my bad.
>>
>>44632260
Original translatoranon here. Thanks for this! I suck at PDFs, didn't even know OpenOffice could do it, that's how bad I am at it.

If I go back and redo the fluff I'll get InDesign or Scribus or something and do the next release up properly with sparkly images and such.
>>
>>44634906
A friend is asking if you could insert more notes about enemy creation.
>>
>>44634941
If I redo it, I'll basically do the whole thing if I'm able. So if it's in the book, you'll get it!
>>
>>44634971
Nice! Thanks for your hard work!
>>
>>44629482
>>44629565

Looks nice as fuck.
>>
>>44631986
>Party consist of thus:
>
>Killing Machine/Edge Master: Really the only adult in the party at 18. Spaniard foreigner guy from a family of demon killers who modify themselves to fight them. Kind of the black sheep in that he's a ridiculous goof-off and really laidback. Despite being an 'Edge' Master his Magic 'Sword' is actually a giant hammer he's made even more gigantic with certain skills. Has the second highest average attack, but can deal the most max damage with certain per-scene skills. The most normal member so far.
>
>Killing Machine/Great One: 16 year old guy that modified himself to get revenge on Emulators for killing his sister, and then turned out to be a minor deity. His player plays him as pretty much a parody of your typical edgy protagonist. Has the most well-rounded stats/abilities but can do some broken stuff with Great One skills once per episode or so.
>
>Taoist/Gunslinger: A super spiritual 17 year old guy who lived off in the mountains for 3 years under the guidance of his spiritual cowboy master 3 years prior to the campaign. Dual wields magic pistols and handles healing. Banters with the previous character a lot.
>
>Werewolf/Werewolf: My character. Took Animal Wizard and is a talking cat. basically got changed by the same thing that changes Werebeasts, which gave her human intellect and a lot of physical power. Has a strong sense of responsibility but is also pretty haughty and lazy because cat. Despite being tiny and the only character with no weapon, does the highest average damage.
>
>Returner/Broomman: A magic sword robot that is also somehow the reincarnation of a Knight of Camelot. His mechano heart is full of justice and is on a globetrotting quest to find the other Knights reincarnated into sword-bots to restore his ancient kingdom. Ridiculously good defenses.
Jelly as fuck. Surprised there's no little girls in it.
>>
File: party.png (332KB, 2412x1576px) Image search: [Google]
party.png
332KB, 2412x1576px
Oh shap! I played 2E Night Wizard a few years ago!

Pic related: It was our party when me and the vampire's player had a personal beef that tore the game apart.
>>
File: 4047282324.jpg (216KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
4047282324.jpg
216KB, 714x1000px
>>44631986

That sounds pretty amazing, anon. I wish I can play in one myself sometime.
>>
>>44638403
>miniskirt ninja
>cat
>little girl
>...aaaand a salaryman with a sword
>>
>>44638612
Highschooler with a sword, not a salaryman.
>>
>>44638612
I can assure you, I'm more interested in salaryman with a sword than I am in the girls.
>>
>>44621828
There was a link with a lot of info on this for a GM that translated this game for her(?) group only and refused to release it. It had a lot of nice pictures. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>44631282
>Waitaminute, someone actually ran that?
Ye, that'd be me.
>How?
Unrepentant, uncompromising, unrelenting hackery.
It's wicked fun.
>>44631986
> His mechano heart is full of justice and is on a globetrotting quest to find the other Knights reincarnated into sword-bots to restore his ancient kingdom.
THIS SYSTEM, I'm telling you. Even better, when he levels up he can become A REAL BOY. Somehow.
>>44632335
As the GM I really love how it all came together, seriously.

>>44638196
>spoiler
Well. The cat is a girl and pretty small because street. ROBOTMAN player was initially set on taking the lower end of the set age limit and making a femPC, but changed it into a SHINING KNIGHT OF JUSTICE halfway through.
>>
File: mizukami_ch3.jpg (163KB, 728x1036px) Image search: [Google]
mizukami_ch3.jpg
163KB, 728x1036px
>>44639442

Certainly not a bad idea.
>>
>>44639508
The data still exists here I guess.

http://lycee.omoshiroi.info/nw/main.orz

Someone should get to archiving it in PDF
>>
>>44638237
Kek at Rand.
Just finished a reread of the series.
>>
>>44640530
...Please tell me more about this comic.
>>
>>44632260
You're doing god's work here, anon. I really hope you get around to translating some of the setting material, or at least posting up a full scan of the book so that other anons who know moonrunes can help out.

>I can read moonrunes
>This is an offer to help
>Just to make it clear
>>
>>44641745
Shit, responded to wrong post. Meant to respond to >>44627767
>>
>>44634906
>>44632260
Hi guys. I'm an RPG writer and designer who speaks a little Japanese and likes Night Wizard. If someone can hook me up with scans of the original books, I can not only help with translation but do more professional layout and formatting. No, I'm not saying who I am, but I've got a little bit of experience with this sort of thing.
>>
>>44641783
Will scans of Night Wizard 2E help (with the stuff other than translation)? I don't think any exist for 3E.
>>
>>44641892
The world material should be at least similar between the two books, one would hope. They'll at least have the game's art and layout style. And the kind OP has already done the heavy lifting of translating most of the system stuff. Still, scans of 3E would be optimal.
>>
>>44641488
It's sadly just a chapter in Mizukami Satoshi's short stories:
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=56007

>>44641916
If it's anything like 1E to 2E, the world material and lore just progresses. The anime was an adaptation of one of the novels and 2E basically happens with the consequences of it.
>>
>>44638237
I'm sure that was a typo but I can respect anyone with reverence for Pocky and Rocky.
>>
>>44621828
where can i download the original pdf of this? and someone know about the fluff of this edition? at least i want to know the name of the girl of the middle.
>>
>>44642408
Japanese game companies don't release pdfs of their books, generally. That's why people in the thread have been asking for scans from people who own the hardcopy.
>>
>>44642408
All the characters on the front page there are sample characters. They're nameless and provided so that players can just take one and have a sheet/concept/picture already provided for them. Japanese games tend to be concerned about one-shots and convention games more than the long campaign, so it's standard to try and make setup as quick as possible, hence sample characters. The girl in question is a Killing Machine/Gunslinger.

>>44641757
>>44641783
Thanks for your offers of help! I never really thought Night Wizard would be so popular, honestly. By the time I did all the skill blocks, I was super worn out on the whole thing. There's no official PDF or something, and I'm not super willing to destroy a book to scan it in, unfortunately...
>>
>>44645010
>I'm not super willing to destroy a book to scan it in
You don't need to destroy the book to scan it. It's totally unnecessary to cut off the spine or crush the book divider or anything like that. As long as you have a flatbed scanner of any sort, scans of decent enough quality to read kanji is all that's necessary. I suppose I'm lucky to work in a library and have off-hours access to a high-definition copibook scanner, but you really don't have to kill a book to get a decent scan on a flatbed.
>>
>>44645090
Hm, that's true. I've even scanned art, so I blame my idiocy on just waking up. Uh. Okay, then. I'm not sure about a whole book, but maybe I can scan the world fluff sections? I want to do them, but I'll move at a glacial pace if my current project Log Horizon advanced Union rules is any indication.

I know the fluff of 3E has advanced some, because in the NPC profiles, Anzelotte and Bel Zephyr have almost no money left, and meanwhile they've been hyping up these "Four Knights" that have appeared and taken over, I think.
>>
Indeed, I've already got some shit scanned.

http://imgur.com/a/27vqz#26

That link takes you to a collection of images, mostly art, from the three books, but starting on that page is a couple one-page comics, and then if you keep going, there's all of the NPC profile pages to the right, there.

http://imgur.com/a/zHBNd#6

Here are some pages I scanned to show others I know that know Japanese. I think a friend of mine is already working on the ROC tables to the left there, but from the right onwards are the Maou Seal Rules, which detail how you can sell your Wizard's soul to whichever Maou is best girl Pearl Cool and get cool abilities for it.
>>
>>44645171
>>44645361
Nice! And no rush! It's just good to know that the possibility of scans exists.
>>
>>44645010
Yes i know they are sample characters, but the most of time aren't they used as the base for the `officials´ novels/action replays? how the things are, it is possible that i am going to go full weeabo and buy the 3 action replays and the manuals.
>>
>>44646688
Ah, that's possible. In fact likely, now that I think about it. I think the Hero character at least is featured on the cover of one replay. Unfortunately, I haven't bought any of the replays, sorry.
>>
I wonder what's the item rules for this (like enhancing limits and how much magical stuff you can jam in an equipment).
>>
>>44653411
For Brooms, it's pretty simple. They have a Capacity, and Broom Options have an Occupy. You can only fit as much Occupy as you have Capacity.

For like, General Skills and stuff, there's no limit.

Otherwise, you can't really enhance items. Broom Options don't fit into anything but Brooms, and there aren't any permanent magical effects you can attach to any other item.
>>
>>44641140
Thanks!
>>
>>44645361
You're my hero.
>>
>tfw nobody will ever run this
>or nechronica
>or double cross
>>
>>44662538
>or zettai reido
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.