[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: /tg/ decides the ultimate battle. SciFi vs Fantasy htt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: hardexam.gif (823KB, 418x259px) Image search: [Google]
hardexam.gif
823KB, 418x259px
ITT: /tg/ decides the ultimate battle. SciFi vs Fantasy

http://strawpoll.me/6471938
>>
>>44621482
Sauce?
>>
File: dukes dear freja.jpg (2MB, 1472x898px) Image search: [Google]
dukes dear freja.jpg
2MB, 1472x898px
Could we maybe not?

How about we instead, i dunno, post 10/10 waifu material like pic related?
>>
>>44621482
Fantasy, definitely. The problem with scifi is that becomes caught up in its own ideas rather than telling compelling stories. Of course, then you also have people who write fantasy as if they were writing scifi and spend more time explaining every minute detail of their made up societies rather than actually telling a good story -- GRRM, that one was directed entirely at you.
>>
>>44622162
>GRRM

I hate it when anything with politics and bloodshed is considered "X is like GoT" , "GoT in Y".

Some sperg in plebbit had made this battletech guide with subtitlte "GoT in space".
Never in life I have felt such rage.
>>
>>44621482
why not both?
let's just say no to 'hard sci-fi' and cyberpunk, that are no more relevant, space adventures can stay.
>>
>>44621482
>Mixture of both

Fucking compromising pinkos.
>>
>>44622242
Only the sith deal in absolutes.
And siths exist in a fantasy/scifi mix setting.
>>
>>44622234
By that logic we can say goodbye to all fantasy, because it was never relevant to begin with.
>>
>>44621482
I like sci fi more than fantasy , partly being a /m/an I guess.
>>
I think it depends. Think of it this way, to make good Sci-fi (and i mean sci-fi, not scifantasy,) you need to know something about higher concepts, and engineering in addition to everything else. Just look at asimov. To make good fantasy you just need a little more imagination in setting and linguistic skills, like tolkien. Different stokes for different folks. I personally like sci-fi more because I think it's more versatile and hasn't been bogged down by its genre greats, as fantasy has been bogged down by tolkien.
>>
There is no actual difference between sci-fi and fantasy, and you chucklefucks are buying into false distinctions spread by money-grubbing publishers in order to create market competition.
>>
>>44622251
>Only the sith deal in absolutes.
That's an absolute. I'm onto you, Sheev.
>>
>>44622807
>as fantasy has been bogged down by tolkien.
The only problem with Tolkien is how no other author manages to live up to his legacy. The genre as a whole has very little to do with him and has in fact been far more influenced by american pulp magazines than anything Tolkien wrote.
>>
>>44622814
I don't really see the split as harmful, even if it is along aesthetic lines only. It is a useful distinction for me when searching stuff to read, so... keep on money-grubbing I guess.
>>
>>44622814
yarr
>>
>>44621482
I bet Kristen Wiig is fun in bed
>>
>>44622234
Basically Final Fantasy and Star Wars?
>>
>>44622814
>There is no actual difference between sci-fi and fantasy

This.

But I must say, hard science fiction is fucking wonderful. There is a distinct emphasis on realism instead of technobabble to explain something.
>>
>>44622883

Exactly. And wasn't the Emperor the one who told Anakin he should dabble in both light and dark and that it's ok to have a gf? The Jedi are the absolutists here.
>>
>>44622814

you mean the split was created by fans of either genre, and money-grubbing publishers are taking advantage of human's natural compulsion to create "others" within it's ranks.
>>
>>44622893

This.

I've seen attempts at other fantasy series, but nobody's really pulled something off yet that matches Tolkien. If GRRM can finish ASoIaF and if it doesn't suck, then it could be right up there with Tolkien-- a very different work, overall not quite as good, but at least competitive.

It's telling that GRRM draws more from medieval English history than mythology. A major problem is that very few authors are willing to do deep research and original world-buildilng.
>>
>implying sci fi isnt a sub genre of fantasy
>>
>>44622214
One o the things that pisses me off is when people sya GRRM kills of characters all the time. He doesn't. The characters have clearly defined arcs and die as a consequence of their own actions. It's not like he rolls a dice each scene and sees if the character lives or dies.
>>
>>44626075
Killing more than zero characters relevant to plot is killing more characters than most of the other genre fiction writers.
>>
File: SettlingDebatesWithClearResults.jpg (48KB, 712x464px) Image search: [Google]
SettlingDebatesWithClearResults.jpg
48KB, 712x464px
>>44621482
Well, I sure am glad we're resolving this burning question OP.
>>
>>44627292
Fuck.
>>
File: Life in a GRRM story.gif (885KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Life in a GRRM story.gif
885KB, 500x282px
>>44626655
>>
>>44625296
Yeah, it's not like he was manipulating him to fall to straight Dark Side or anything. No way he was just tempting him to dabble until there was no turning back.
>>
>>44623404
Phantasy Star would be the best way of putting it
>>
>>44622162
Read Peter F Hamilton's books. Especially the Common Wealth Saga and all the rest of the books set in the universe.
>>
>>44621482
Y'all never seen ghost busters? Scifi and the power of hope beats even the mightiest of outer fantasy gods.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.