[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well /tg/? Reminder that even with mana you can't get the others.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 7

File: Potion.png (631KB, 768x1646px) Image search: [Google]
Potion.png
631KB, 768x1646px
Well /tg/? Reminder that even with mana you can't get the others.
>>
Vitality, obviously. It's the only permanent one.
>>
Invisibility
>>
>>44511805
Vitality; mix it with a gallon of protein shake and steroids, get S W O L E
>>
>>44511805
Either

>Mana and use it to figure out eternal youth, win
>Vitality and become a saint.
>>
>>44511805
Go back to your cyoa containment thread.
>>
That depends on the time/effort/materials needed to make each potion; ceterus paribus I'd have to go with mana, with agility as a close second.
>>
Mana. Ten TIMES more intelligent?

I imagine the first time drinking it would be nearly transcendent. I'd approach the first quaff with all the solemnity of a religious experience. One moment, ignorance, confusion, pain, the next, knowledge, truth, light.

The other potions are fun trinkets. Mana is the key to divinity.
>>
File: 1423788437767.gif (979KB, 500x173px) Image search: [Google]
1423788437767.gif
979KB, 500x173px
>>44511970
t. Morrowind Alchemists
>>
File: doyouevenlift.jpg (340KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
doyouevenlift.jpg
340KB, 1400x1050px
>>44512042
Maaaaybe.
>>
>>44511805
>Health
>sell potions to pharmaceutical companies
>make billions

ya'll bitches need to drink some mana or something
>>
>>44511805
>Health Potion
>Can cure you from anything
>Cure cancer

Simple?
>>
>>44512114
>>44512119
>mana
>cure cancer
>advance humanity to transcendance
>make billions
>>
>>44511805
Health, no matter what it's made of, I'll be the richest man on Earth in a matter of months.
>>
>>44512195
Human minds aren't mean't to be that intelligent, you'd probably go insane and turn into Rick.
>>
>>44512278
pff maybe your mind isn't.
>>
>>44512315
>Psssh, nothin personlel.
What makes your mind so different anyway tosspot?
>>
>>44512337
Oh nothing, I just find the idea that an increase in intelligence must necessarily lead to nihilism ridiculous.

Whether someone of extreme intelligence would devolve into Rick is entirely based on their personality, outlook, and philosophy.
>>
>>44512278
>turning into rick
>bad thing
lolk
>>
>>44512392
I'm no brain surgeon, but suddenly having a 1000 point IQ probably isn't healthy.
>>
>>44511805

Health.

Because Crohn's disease can eat a bag of dicks.
>>
>>44512475
Its magic nigga. I don't have to explain shit.
>>
>>44511805
>Reminder that even with mana you can't get the others.
Bull fucking SHIT I can't! Ten times a reasonably good intelligence already? If I can't get the effects of vitality at least by sheer SCIENCE then I'd be shocked.

Have that bottle ready, surround myself with the most advanced textbooks on physics, engineering, chemistry, biology, medicine, physiology and business. Get my drink and snack of choice handy, an open word document and a notepad and pen for notes... Then down that potion and start reading. Note down revelations as they come to me and use the last 30 minutes to write a detailed plan of action... Then crash like a motherfucker.

Wake up, turn my rent money into a few hundred thousand, then make batch number two. By the end of 2016, I'm a multi-million, possibly BILLIONAIRE, with assets across the world and in orbit. I've also figured out a way to synthesise something that approximates the Vitality and Agility potions and I'm well on my way to Vitality. Still studying philosophy and sociology to see if I should release those particular discoveries and if so, in what form and potency. I spend my spare time trying to see how fast I can ramp up my physical abilities and feeling mildly like it's cheating, as I have to put in a fraction of the time of people who've spent their whole lives trying to get the body they want...
>>
>>44511805
Healing potion. I just cured everything ever. Give me money.
>>
>>44511805
>health
>can cure me from anything
well, guess i'm just swilling health potion 24/7 and live forever.
>>
>>44512542
It's science nigga, it's going to ruin your day.
>>
>>44511805
can i stack the effects of the mana potion?
>>
>>44512574
Listen, if the vitality potion doesn't make your muscles burn out or your metabolism explode, then I don't think that the mana potion is going to fry your neurons.
>>44512590
>stacking the potions.

Oh my gods.
>>
Mana is too over powered, especially if you're already smart as shit.
>>
>>44511805
The other potions, themselves, are not attainable with mana, but their effects certainly might be, depending on just how "10x smarter" actually manifests itself. If we're to multiply an arbitrary number value like IQ to try and sum up all of an individual's intelligence, then even a mentally retarded individual can become the most innovative and transcendent thinker in human history as they attain an IQ measuring in the several hundreds (something not actually remotely possible in the scale of evaluation IQ testing utilises, of course). Could not a genius of that scale learn to create counterparts borne of revolutionary technology to each of the potions listed, to say nothing of the countless other opportunities and technologies potentially achievable by someone so impossibly gifted?
>>
>>44512523

Cures "deadly" diseases.

Your Crohn's and herpes aren't affected. Sorry bra.

An IQ of 1430 essentially lets me invent all the other potions or their equivalents anyway. Plus thousands of other answers to medical/magical puzzles. Quaff two per day, morning and afternoon.

Easy choice: Mana = all of the above.

(Productivity in the sciences, arts, and political power tend to follow a power law. Even a +100 to some broad IQ measure is enough to make me a polymath at the top of nearly any field I choose to dabble in. Plus, there's considerable overlap in fields: a few weeks of training in advanced mathematics and statistics and I'll be most of the way to PhD-level understanding of a very large number of the physical and social sciences.)
>>
>>44511805
Health, mass market, print money
>>
>>44512666
Nobody said the vitality potion wouldn't either nigger. It just says it would make you strong as fuck, but didn't say anything else.
Logically, almost all of them but health would fuck you up.
>>
Can I take the health potion and give it to my great aunt to cure her Alzheimers?
>>
>>44512846
you get the knowlage of how to make them. you can do whatever the fuck you want with it

you can even dump a metric fuckton into your cities water supply to cure the entire city
>>
>>44512833
Or, we can assume you're a faggot.

But there isn't a potion to fix that.
>>
>>44512894
>Can't revoke my arguments.
>Your a faggot.
Your a faggot.
>>
>>44511913
ten times zero is still zero, friendo
:^)
>>
>>44512803
The OP blatantly states that you can't learn to make the others as a condition. Cute that you found an excuse to mention your exact IQ, find it from one of those online tests? Tell us more about how smart you are.
>>
>>44511805
What happens if you feed health to a corpse?
>>
>>44512999
Zombies.
>>
>>44512945
>Potions say they cause a certain effect
>You assume that the effect doesn't also cover all immediately obvious horrible side effects
>You make this assumption because you're a faggot who hates fun.

I bet you're the kind of person who makes people with super jumping break their legs in RPGs.
>>
>>44512549
being ten times smarter won't make you know the arcane power words you need to say when brewing the potion to imbue it with power
>>
File: Action movie soldiers.gif (2MB, 405x228px) Image search: [Google]
Action movie soldiers.gif
2MB, 405x228px
>>44513019
>Potions say they cause a certain effect
Yes and?
>You assume that the effect doesn't also cover all immediately obvious horrible side effects
Why the fuck shouldn't I?
>>
>>44513024
You don't need the fuckin magical potions. You can invent new ways to improve people in stats similar to those boosted by potions
>>
>>44511805
If I drink ten vit ones do the effects stack?
>>
>Drink Vitality
>shitpost on /fit/
>life=complete.
>>
>>44512979
>or their equivalents

Is OP saying that a cure for a fatal disease becomes undiscoverable once I learn mana? No, of course not. Also, his condition isn't in the graphic.

The nice thing about being anonymous is that I can reveal my IQ with no arrogance and a clear conscience. Who cares? The only people threatened by an anonymously reported IQ score have some insecurity about their own intellect.
>>
File: 1440868603941.jpg (27KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1440868603941.jpg
27KB, 600x750px
>>44513446
It's not that were saying you wear a fedora.
But you likely wear a fedora.
>>
>>44513488
>Were.
>We're.
Fuck.
>>
>>44511805
>can cure anything
Health, auction it, retire on the proceeds.

You don't need to be swole, sneaky, or fast when you're rich.
>>
>>44511913 So ... your using the Mana potion to figure out that you should have picked the Health potion?
>>
>>44512080
Wow. I don't remember Morrowind all that well anymore (on account of it has been 10 fucking years) but clearly I was doing it wrong.
>>
>>44513446
And the only people who post them are those desperate for validation.
>>
>>44513446
The thing about anonymity on this site is that it's not true anonymity, as far as discussion is concerned. In each post you make, you are constructing a micro-persona framed and characterised entirely around the content of that post; by using your IQ in the content of this transient persona's argument, it becomes akin to offhandedly mentioning your IQ in a discussion in real life. The critical distinction lies in the fact that everyone involved in this discussion will forget about your micro-persona and its contribution to the discussion within a brief span of time, most certainly so when this particular thread is closed. When this occurs, the fragment of yourself that you've displayed here is effectively destroyed by our natural discarding of any memory of it, unlike any discussion the real "you" would tender with others in real life.

This shard of You that you're allowing to be displayed on an internet message board has casually mentioned his IQ in a discussion, and more of yourself is being invested into the temporary persona you've inadvertently constructed as you make more posts and convey more of what's on your mind. The observation that we -- the others in this thread, responding to you -- have made of the fact of your mentioning of your IQ cannot be discarded, and we must treat it with a response similar to what it would engender were you to do it in real life. We are conditioned negatively against those in real life (or those with more permanent/less anonymous incarnations on the internet) that bring up their IQ in discussions where it isn't necessary to do so, as they're often unpleasant or excessively self-obsessed individuals that, intentionally or not, are bringing a form of predeterminism into a discussion that frames everything around the implication of the higher-or-highest IQ individual being more likely to be correct. This is detrimental, and renders you prone to scorn appropriate to any form of self-elevation in a conversation.
>>
>>44513518
On second thought, Mana is good for it too, with the added bonus of uplifting humanity. Sell doses to scientists and engineers working on important projects, get rich, and watch human achievement accelerate.

Also,
>Feed mana potions to prominent chemists and engineers while showing them how I make it
>Ramp up production, make it more efficient
>Eventually crank this stuff out by the barrel
>People are 10x smarter when they need to be
>Humanity wins at everything
>>
I'd take agility thanks
>that speed increase
>that reaction time increase
Either join boxing/UFC or do Olympics
As far as we know, none of these are detectable by testing.
>>
File: Look it up, he actually said it.jpg (136KB, 1600x889px) Image search: [Google]
Look it up, he actually said it.jpg
136KB, 1600x889px
>>44513446
>The only people threatened by an anonymously reported IQ score have some insecurity about their own intellect.
>>
The best option is to give the Mana Potion to the most knowledgeable and intelligent person you can find. There's always someone smarter than you.
>>
>>44511805
Health.
Make loads and loads of them, cure diseases and illnesses that would otherwise be terminal for the innocent people inflicted by them.
>>
>>44512956
That doesn't work here, you can't have zero strength unless you're either dead or completely paralyzed.
>>
>>44511805
Reminder /v/ fucking KEKEED your shitty CYO.
>>
>Cure you from ANYTHING
define ANYTHING.
>>
How hard are these to create?
Because they can vary from "take a piss and drink it" to "yeah, you have to use 5ml of a Botswana born white-asian mtf ballsweat before he's 5"
>>
>>44511805

Health, easy. Normally the issue with immortality options is that you'll just be alone forever but in this case you can keep giving the people close to you health potions forever. Then with time you can basically get all of the other benefits anyway, it's a no-brainer.

>>44512549

You know that intelligence is mostly just processing power, right? Sure there is a bit more to it than that but at the end of the day you're just working through information ten times faster. You still have the same information as anyone else and even if those extra benefits are more than enough to outweigh the work of ten other people there are a lot more than ten people working on any given major medical mystery. You probably aren't going to accomplish quite as much as you think you will, it will be a lot by human standards and you'll certain be rich but you will eventually die anyway.

In comparison you could have just taken the health potion, lived forever and accomplish far more since one of the biggest reasons our problems are difficult to solve is that the people who know the most tend to keep dying. Spend two lifetimes on something and you'll undoubtedly become wildly successive at it, then you have eternity to enjoy that success.
>>
>>44512830

Would you really want to live forever with EVERYONE? Especially considering that you'll never get those idiots to stop reproducing, meaning we will literally run out of space on the planet. Better to save it for a small group of people that you know will be fine.

>>44512979

143 isn't very high.
>>
>>44514555
Alchemy was broken. You could make a potion of improve intelligence that lasted 1 second, drink it, close the menu, open it again when the potion was activated, make another potion just like it that lasted a little bit longer. Rinse and repeat until you have a potion that buffs your intelligence, wisdom, strength, etc. to stupid high numbers for an amount of time longer than your natural life span.
>>
>>44511805
Mana.
Organise distribution to various scientific research institutions.
Reap the benefits of super-science.
>>
>>44511805
Which one tastes the best
>>
File: Bat Cookie.gif (2MB, 248x295px) Image search: [Google]
Bat Cookie.gif
2MB, 248x295px
>>44511970
And once it wears off your mind starts going back to standard intellect. From there you do either two things: you try to actually gain the intelligence legit or you rely heavily on the potion to make you smart, slowly being addicted and dependent on that sweet magic 'lixir just so you can continue experiencing those high INT highs.
>>
>>44517258
lets not forget that you can get your strength so high, punch a god in the face, and crash the game
>>
>>44517137
You're forgetting that ten different minds working together suffer diminishing returns and the inherent problems with networking. It's like linking lightbulbs in series - the last one's never as bright as the first.

On the other hand, you've got ten times uninterrupted processing power, in addition to the information specified. There's a reason geniuses are so looked up to; their leaps of logic and insight are something ordinary people just can't achieve without years of work. Now, granted you may be right and one year might be seriously pushing things, but give it, say, ten years and it's a whole different story. In fact, just knowing that magic is a thing that works puts me on the path to changing every natural law we think we know!

Besides, who wants to live forever? I'll settle for about a thousand years, thanks. Even four to six hundred would be pretty nice!
>>
Agility.
Even if you run at 6 miles per hour, 6x10=60.
Hell of a workout.
Hopefully it would have enough calories tho, probably why it only last for so long.
>>
Provided it's not a pain in the ass to make, health. I'll make the world a better place and presumably make so much $$$ from it. I'm assuming I can't sell the secrets since it's magical crap. If others can learn the secrets, I'd prolly pick mana and learn how to make the other potions.
>>
>>44518181

Dude, what? Do you not know how thinking works? You can't really focus on multiple thoughts at the same time so even if you work faster than the normal individual it isn't going to be as fast as ten people all working on different parts of the problem. And again you aren't actually racing ten people you're up against hundreds to thousands or in same cases potentially millions depending on the exact question you're trying to answer. You are severely overstating your capabilities if you think that a ten times multiplier is somehow akin to omniscience as well as ridiculously understating just how challenging these problems are.

You can't settle for 400-600 years, you'll be dead in about 60 (assuming you're about 20 now). Meanwhile I'll live as long as I want and I can always stop drinking potions if I'm ready for it to end.
>>
>>44514651
>The thing about anonymity on this site is that it's not true anonymity, as far as discussion is concerned. In each post you make, you are constructing a micro-persona framed and characterised entirely around the content of that post; by using your IQ in the content of this transient persona's argument, it becomes akin to offhandedly mentioning your IQ in a discussion in real life.

OK now that I can buy. But here's the thing: I'm elsewhere in the thread as well. Go pick out my posts. IMO it's not important because the posts should stand on their own or not. When I make a point about the vitality potion, it's not important what I also said about the mana potion.

I once had someone respond to two of my comments in one post: one saying I'm a fucking idiot, and the other saying he'd screen capped me and loved the post. Not realizing they came from the same anon.

>This shard of You that you're allowing to be displayed on an internet message board has casually mentioned his IQ in a discussion, and more of yourself is being

Here's the punchline: I'd picked 143 out of the air. To me, it was irrelevant. What the hell does anyone care about a number? I never said that was *my* IQ, or anyone's in particular. Some hypersensitive anon got his panties in a bunch because someone, somewhere, out there in Internetland has a higher IQ than he does. Which he should have known already, because 143 isn't actually all that high.

In retrospect, I think what really set him off was the herpes line, which I threw in to be funny but which I think hit a nerve. And if that's what it was, then I'm sorry.
>>
>>44517483
>you try to actually gain the intelligence legit
That's not how that works. You're either smart or you're not, and nothing will ever change that. You can still gain knowledge, albeit with more difficulty, but we're talking mental infrastructure here.
>>
>>44520352
Not to say groups of highly intelligent individuals aren't effective, but you're severely underestimating the impact a true visionary can have. Just because there's a lot more ants than humans doesn't mean they're going to suddenly surpass us in science. Quantity alone is worthless.

It's a tad ridiculous to imply a single super genius would magically discover near immortality in a single life time, but at the same time we're talking about a level of thinking far, FAR above and beyond what we can comprehend.
>>
>>44517137
>You know that intelligence is mostly just processing power, right?

Not the case. In fact, we don't know WHAT intelligence is. It's a big broad measure that encompasses a long list of capabilities. Most psychologists view intelligence as a multidimensional construct, and we STILL can't define any of the dimensions yet.

The standard answer is that IQ scores measure your ability to take IQ tests. The original quotient was "mental age / physical age", and that assumed all kinds of developmental models of intelligence that proved to be wrong.

Let's look at actors for a second. Not associated with IQ, right? Wrong. Hot is cheap, there are a million attractive people in hollywood. What matters is social intelligence, ability to perform, which is cognitively intense. They might be idiots otherwise, but they're performing knowledge work when they act. A handful make tens of millions for their acting. Maybe 1% are well off and successful, if not quite superstars. Five percent or so are character actors who you'd recognize if you saw them, even if you don't know their name. They make a good living. The rest are baristas.

The same distribution applies to music. The vast majority have day jobs and won't ever be remembered. Only a few do well enough to make a living at it, and only a very very few are superstars.

Novelists follow the same math. So do indexes of professors' research productivity, regardless of discipline. Frederick Brooks noticed the same thing applies to programmers. I ran the numbers on wikipedia contributions once, and sure enough, same distribution.

So intelligence ISN'T just processing power. Processing power is a measure used for a machine that we use as a metaphor for brain function. Higher intelligence people actually burn fewer calories when doing cognitively demanding tasks.

Ten times more-- hell, even double-- would lead to a massive leap and instantly turn the person who drinks the mana potion into the polymath of all time.
>>
>>44517137
>In comparison you could have just taken the health potion, lived forever

Also, the health pot doesn't grant eternal life.
>>
>>44520548

Absolutely.

I think this stems from the fact that we often use computers as an analogy for how the brain works. Even if that's how the hardware works, the vast differences between people suggest that the software varies considerably-- or that the whole hardware/software/the-brain-is-a-computer analogy is fatally flawed to begin with.

The truth is that we have only a rudimentary understanding of how the brain operates, and barely any idea at all how thinking works.

What we're talking about is increasing a human mind to a level of intellect many times that of the greatest geniuses of history. Neither you nor I have any idea what would come out of that. But I can think of two scientists who did operate on that level. Aristotle and Leonardo da Vinci were both polymaths who made contributions in several fields. Archimedes and Imhotep possibly as well.

If I were a betting man, I'd say a genius with 1000+ IQ probably could get us to immortality in a generation. And remember, we aren't just multiplying our own intelligence. We're learning the recipe for a potion. Conceivably, a genius on this level might recruit a TEAM of geniuses, each one as intelligent compared to a normal human as an normal human is from a monkey.
>>
>>44511805
Health, due.

You make something THAT ambiguously worded and expect me to not rules lawyer the crap out of it?

Now go right and cure my mortality and depression, if you please.
>>
>>44520801

Fatally stupid.

Hey, wait a minute.... I like where you're going with this.
>>
>>44512392
Intelligence has a direct correlation to depression.

So it might not make you a nihilist, and it might not necessarily make you have an existential crisis, but chances are good.
>>
>>44520830

I'd be very cautious about extrapolating based on zero-order correlations.
>>
>>44520818
Oh piss off with that bloody 'Immortality is bad' crap. It's a relic of long-dead moral values that has only stuck around because it is to humans as grapes are to foxes.

I have the option to live forever, I'm taking the hell out of that option.
>>
Health is the best answer unless the mana one will make me smart enough to use science to replicate the health potion and maybe the others.
>>
>>44511805
>get health potions
>drink health potions
>not die from shit genetic diseases
>won't die from cancer later since my family is predisposed to that
>shit just keeps going milhouse
i'm ok with this.
>>
>>44512979
No faggot, it says you can't learn to make the potions.
It doesn't mention you can't, say, find a way to cure cancer. It says you can't get - the potions -.
It doesn't even say equivalents, but considering there are probably no achievable equivalents with such easy access it is powerful, just not as much.
You can cure cancer. Or AIDS. You will simply never have all of those cures in a simple and easy bottled liquid form.

Are you fucking retarded?>>44512999
>>
>>44520352
A human brain with ten times the normal processing power would probably be much more powerful than the combined intelligence of ten people.
>>
>>44514779
I know it's just because of the disability but it almost looks like he has some sassy-ass look on his face and it makes the quote better
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.