[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How good are you with a sword IRL?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 17

How good are you with a sword IRL?
>>
Decent, though I'd be slaughtered by someone who could actually FIGHT with one.
>>
>>44373573
Getting better, started training with longsword a few months ago. Nothing professional and mostly for exercise.
>>
>>44373573
I only have Martial Weapon Proficiency: Assault Rifle.
>>
>>44373573
Alright. Good fullen and distance. Upper body strength needs work. Many techniques need practice.
>>
>>44373573
I'd probably be marginally better than most berks who just pick up a sword and wave it around, but I'd still end up dead or seriously injured in any real confrontation, even if it was with one of the afforementioned berks.
>>
>>44373670
What this guy said. I can swing a sword and not cut my face off, but anyone who knows their shit would dismember me without trying too hard.
>>
>>44373573
I'm better with a bow to be honest.
>>
>>44373573
Shit with a sword but decent with a spear.
>>
>>44373709
Dat simple weapon proficiency.
>>
>>44373573

I'm not autistic, so very poor.
>>
>>44373573

Bottom 1% of swordfighters, but better than 99% of the population.
>>
I can swing it and have quick reflexes/reaction speed.

My technique is shit though.
>>
>>44373573
Good enough for modern home defense. Hunting-good with a crossbow, and "Why do you need to shoot that far" good with a rifle.
>>
>>44373762
>home defense

You mean unjustified murder?
>>
>>44373762
How far is why do you need to shoot that far?
>>
>>44373770
I'm in a red state so, "home defense" actually means "stand your ground".
>>
>>44373654
>fullen
Mah Nigga. Meyer or older?
>>
I did fencing for a few years, but I stopped because I wasn't getting any better and the equipment upkeep is ridiculous.
So if neither of the swords are sharp I could probably survive.
>>
>>44373770
In some parts of the world home invasions carry genuine risk of being deadly for the home owner.
>>
>>44373573
Decent swing speed, probably shit stamina for a sword with actual weight to it.

If I had to fight for my life, I think I would prefer a staff for the reach and a knife for the "difficult to stab self".

And considering my most recent track record with a high-recoil handgun, it might seriously be safer if I picked a melee over a gun.
>>
>>44373776
300 yards: which is both the longest range at my local gun club, and the distance my Springfield trapdoor conversion is iron sighted for.

"Why do you need to shoot things 900 feet away anon?"
"Because otherwise I don't make holes in the paper."
>>
>>44373653

That's a simple weapon, Anon.
>>
>>44373762
You use a sword for home defense?
>>
>>44373812
>300 yards
>but that's not very...
>iron sighted
>Oh, that makes sense.

I wish we got the option to try out iron sights instead of always just acogs at 500-800 meters at most during my conscription.

I really should get around to buy that WW2 milsurp I've been meaning too. Get me some neat old bolt action. They're just so satisfying to use.
>>
>>44373846
No no no...
I use a DOOR for home defense. With a quite nice lock on it.
I use a sword for close quarters fighting if the door is breached.
And it's less Sword, more "Machete with Delusions"
>>
Simple Wep Prof mothafuckers. Gimmie that mace.
>>
>>44373862
We always used iron sights. I would have gived my left nut for any sweet sights or mods.

>Fucking Vanguard company getting the nice new toys
>>
I've done some bigger style LARP so... Absolutely terrible I'd imagine.
>>
>>44373820
Until you have to practice maintenence and fast reloads to the point where you can do it in your sleep and being able to hit very small targets relatively far away with very little time to get into position and aim, without gunning your friends down like a retard, even when hot brass gets stuck on your collar.
>>
>>44373573
Not very.
I'm fast but even when I work out a bunch I just don't have enough physical mass due to my build.
>>
>>44373573
I broke a two machetes, one kukri, an old Philippine sword and my friend's katana - it turned into a fucking scimitar because of my stupidity. So..no.
>>
>>44373874
>less a sword and more a machete with delusions.
That was fucking fantastic, I'm going to hold on to that one. Thank you Anon
>>
>>44373786
Meyer, older, and newer.
>>
>>44373945
Was it folded a thousand times?
>>
>>44373573
Decent enough, my advantage is I'm 6'2" and 240lbs, so I can beat you to death with it, since I don't keep them sharp.
>Kids you know, one moment having fun, next there's a hand on the floor.
>>
I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.
>>
I never held a sword in my entire life
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 470x282px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 470x282px
>>44373966
>>
>>44373962
Good question. I do not know, all I know is it was gifted to him by an old Japanese lady
>>
>>44373670
sadly, this
>>
>>44373924

I can take my rifle apart with eyes closed in 10 seconds and put it back together in 20. They're fucking simple weapons unless you are a retard.

Though considering how most people in the army are fucking idiots, I guess you can make that argument for being a martial weapon

>TFW the fresh recruit in your company keeps missing his target because he only uses front sights
>TFW you tell the platoon leader to deal with it and go have coffee
>>
>>44373966
Don't you meant solid stone ?
>>
>>44373946
Christmas brings out the poet in all of us, Anon. Merry Christmas.
>>
I am a sword irl.
>>
>>44373573
Most likely, I would hurt myself if I tried using a sword in a fight, or just tried showing off with it.
>>
Decent with a rapier, absolute shit with a longsword.
>>
>>44374011
>>44373979
>not recognizing pasta that's older than this board
>>
>>44373573

Not bad. I've trained with swords before, I'm most familiar with longswords and a few one-hand swords. Trying to train with a Scottish basket-hilt sword, thing is weighty as hell.
>>
>>44373995
Had a genuine autist with tourettes on the side in my platoon. I mean, he was super smart and would school the NCO in CRBN class, but still be generally useless at almost everything.

But anyway, what would you call a martial weapon or an exotic one?
>>
>>44373573
I do alright with a sidesword or rapier, especially if I've got a shield. Never tried using any other type, so I expect that I'd be terrible with most of them.
>>
>>44373995
Field strip it in 20 is easy, fucking taking it apart is inane
>>
>>44374142
A martial weapon requires significant training and dedication to use correctly, so, I suppose in modern terms, artillery?
>>
File: 1310126299625.jpg (92KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
1310126299625.jpg
92KB, 400x350px
>>44374078
>Be me
>recognise pasta
>add a joke to it
>get called for not recognizing said pasta
>mfw
>>
>>44374142

Martial weapons I feel are weapons you need to train extensively to be good with them. Anyone can pick a rifle and shoot well after a week or so, small unit tactics, taking cover etc aren't really a part of handling the weapon as much as battlefield expertise.

So swords are propably martial weapons.. or depending on the definition of the term, exotic weapons because nobody uses them anymore outside of recreation. Maybe mortars would be martials if they count as weapons.
>>
File: thai roundhouse.jpg (830KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
thai roundhouse.jpg
830KB, 1200x795px
>>44373573
My upper body strength is crap and I'm horribly out of shape, but maybe 10 years ago I'd be in better physical shape to swing one. I'm better with my fists, feet, elbows, and knees. Back in the day, my instructor told me I had the strongest kicks in the class.
>>
>>44374237
Eh. I'd have shotguns and pistols be simple weapons, rifles be martial weapons. There is less aiming possible with the former.
>>
>>44373573
I'll do fairly better running and i have cronic asthma.

Now if i can use a handgun or a carbine my chances of surviving are much better just because i do IPSC. But only better on the regards of not shooting myself.
>>
>>44374280

Yeh, maybe. Depends on the situation. Rifles are generally likened to crossbows which are simple weapons in D&D
>>
>>44373573
Really bad.
I need training, I have read over the manuals and know what the techniques look like, and I can talk like I know what I'm doing, but have never actually learned how.
My campus does however have a HEMA branch I wanted to check out next semester.

On the bright side, I can use my halberd pretty effectively. Can't throw it or anything, but can sweep a guy off his feet with ease.
>>
I'm experienced with fencing styles, and I can wield a katana with enough expertise to really fuck up the blade while managing to kill my enemy. I can use a Jian fairly well too, but I'm much, much better with an staff, and best with any kind of knife. A 6'-10' length of chain is also acceptable as a weapon.

I have eclectic hobbies.
>>
>>44373573
kinda bad.
>>
>>44373573
When I was college and we tested using a bunch of weapons, I was fucking awful with swords. Kept trying to use them more as bats. So the instructor gave me a mace and a buckler. I did well with that.
>>
>>44374300
>Can't throw it or anything

Why the fuck would you throw a halberd?
>>
>>44374327
None would expect that
>>
>>44374327
I have a friend who practiced hrowing everything he could get his hands on.

We decided he had Throw Anything as a feat when he threw a metal spatula at a wooden fence from 15' and made it stick. Several times.
>>
>>44374327
No reason at all, just a skill thing, like a javelin.
All the 'expert halberd' users I've seen on youtube seem to javelin toss it at some point. It's odd really.
>>
>>44373573
8 years of fencing under my belt, but I've been out of practice for about 6 months now, so I'd need to re-teach myself a lot that isn't just muscle memory.
>>
File: my-bloody-valentine-harry.jpg (14KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
my-bloody-valentine-harry.jpg
14KB, 400x225px
>>44373846
no, i use a pickaxe
>>
>>44373573
A sword?

I'm absolutely dreadful with one!

A piece of PVC pipe covered in colored duct tape with various bits and bobs attached to make it look kind of like a lightsaber?

After over 10 years of practice, I excel!
>>
>>44373573
I practice HEMA with a Zweihander. I can say that I can crush basically anyone who hasn't learned HEMA, but against anyone who is actually trained -well- in the martial art, I suck at it.
>>
>>44374224
I dont see how that was a joke or even funny
>>
I've got a couple of friends who train with swords, so I know very basic stuff. I managed to impress one of them once when we were fighting with boffers for fun and I made a really low lunge right under his strike and got him in the stomach.
>>
>>44374336
That's certainly true.

>>44374337
I know a guy sort of like that. It's bizarre; he prefers knives to good, old-fashioned firepower.

>>44374342
That's some funny shit. I guess as a skill exercise it's pretty impressive shit if you can get distance and accuracy with a big stonking halberd.
>>
Holding a bokken 101 and really basic kata. So I'm shit with a sword.
>>
>>44373573
exceptionally amazing
>>
>>44373962
The whole 'folded a thousand times' thing. What was actually referenced was the number of layers. You get about 1000 layers from folding 10 times. Even with historical japanese steel quality that is often too many folds. The number of times you want to fold it increases with the shittiness of the stock.
>>
>>44373725
Practicing a martial art means being autistic

Please stop this meme
>>
I have held a stick in my hands a couple of times and can perform a couple of really cool moves from anime video games. Other than that I have no upper body strength, maxed endurance and 8/10 speed with 8/10 agility.
>>
>>44374280
Pistols are much harder to aim than long arms though, and skeet shooting certainly isn't easy.
>>
I got a couple of sai for Christmas, god knows why. But now I'm curious if there's somewhere I can go to learn how to use them
>>
>>44374780
True, I'm giving him benefit of the doubt, maybe he meant long range marksmanship
>>
>>44374780
Personally, I'd give any weapon locked to semi-auto simple, and anything with burst or full-auto martial when used in that way- pointing and firing at a target is more or less easy enough, but controlling recoil on consecutive rounds is the hard part.
>>
>>44374342
I know one of the Italian books has sword throwing (also broadly similar to a javelin throw). Keeping in mind that it was common for well-equipped soldiers and knights to carry multiple weapons for different situations, throwing the one you're holding when you want to switch weapons seems like a decent idea under the right circumstances.
>>
>>44373793
In what distant magical land do they not?
>>
File: 1450623665015.gif (1MB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1450623665015.gif
1MB, 256x256px
>>44373770
>>44373770

What happened, you friend tried to rob some poor bloke blind and he got what he deserved? Stay mad.
>>
File: PistolChartR1St.jpg (38KB, 336x435px) Image search: [Google]
PistolChartR1St.jpg
38KB, 336x435px
>>44374849
With pistols you also need to control recoil for the round you're firing.
>>
>>44373709
Same. I can hold off some of the better-trained people I know with a spear. Just poke hard and scream.
>>
>>44374861
Often I could say Denmark since we've managed to feel like a make believe fairytale country in a it of areas compared to a lot of the world, but thank to eastern Europeans who now get to roam freely in the EU, home invasions are actually a dangerous reality.

Why it's always fun to read bout slav home invaders breaking into particular neighborhood that has been used to house military personnel since the 1600s and finding a disgruntled frogman ready violent restructure their bones.
>>
>>44373770
Found the britbong
>>
>>44374895
Even in Denmark home invasions are dangerous. They're just less common.
>>
>>44374895
My grammar just shat itself.
>>
Kendo with shinai: two years of training, one year at competition level

Kenjutsu with bokken, focusing on Iaijutsu: five years

Hyōhō Niten Ichi-ryū: three years ago - present

I could probably reenact the plot of Kill Bill if guns didn't exist.
>>
>>44373573
After 12 years of judo I am probably just as good with my hands

Still suck at judo though
>>
>>44374902
Breaking into someone's house to actually rob them and not just breaking and entering to steal shit and sneak off when people aren't home or cases where the home invader knew the home owner personally were more or less unheard of which is why people were shocked when a string of them wee carried out by slavs, and extra shocked when one turned deadly.
>>
>>44373962
I was actually just learning about this, any sword with over 10,000 layers is considered a part of Japanese culture, and isn't allowed to leave the islands.

There was this once sword, I forgot its name, but it was created when some koreans or something tried to invade japan and it had like 30,000 folds. But it went missing during WWII after Japan surrendered there's a whole documentary about on Netflix, I was just in the room while my dad was watching it though.
>>
Sword skills: Shit. Better than someone who has no idea what they're doing, but worse than someone who has no idea what they're doing coupled with enough aggression to be unpredictable.
Knife skills: Mediocre to terrible.
Halberd skills: Vicious
Spear skills: Murderous.
>>
>>44373573
Better with a spear, its a better weapon all around.
>>
Trained and certified in broadsword, rapier&dagger, and smallsword. It's stage combat, but honestly you have to do more NOT to hurt someone. I'm ambidextrous, and haven't found anyone who can fight as precisely and quickly as me, that doesn't do it for a living, to be honest.
I'm playing Tybalt "Boss character" Capulet here soon.
>>
>>44373573
went once to a lesson.

So in case of fight I will still use the sword as a club.
>>
>Spoiler alert: a bunch of military fetishists with no semblance of fighting skills claim they can defend themselves.
>>
>>44373995
You sound like a shit platoon sergeant, high speed.
>>
>>44373573
I could probably take a small child.
>>
>>44374895
Christian X is rolling in his grave.
>>
>>44375095
It doesn't take much to defend yourself, really. All you have to do is make the other guy not able to hurt you before he can do that. Breaking into someone's home doesn't magically turn a home invader into a super good fighter. It just makes them a douchebag with no regard for the rights or safety of others.
>>
>>44373573
Complete bollocks.

I'm a dab hand at knife fighting though. Blame Liverpool for that one.
>>
Never used a real one, so almost certainly not very good.
I do have a well-balanced, purpose built club though, and since there's not much in the way of anti-melee body armor nowadays, I think I could beat someone in a fight with it.
Also I have a gun and know how to use it, so that kinda takes precedent in a theoretical life-or-death situation.
>>
>>44375162
Are you fuck. Go roll a dice.
>>
>>44373573
Basic kendo and level one of Iaido... far away for mastering the basics... so yea, in my favor... I can really run fast xD
>>
>>44373573

lets see...
12 years of german longsword, ( 12 for Ringeck and Thalhofer, and 7 of Meyer)

About 5-6 years of occasional i.33 sword and buckler.

2-3 years doing messer from Lekuchner,

2-3 years dabbling in ghisliero, Di Grassi, and Agrippa.

Occasional harnischfechten, Additional training in ringkunst, dagger, pollaxe, and meyer's half-staff.

( and about 6 weeks worth of Kendo. Dont think that counts really. )

Oh yes, and my professional day job is as a swordsmith.

Conclusion? I'm fairly shit. But I have more experience being shit than most.
>>
>>44375126
Today is far from being a low point in Danish history, considering where we have been. Hell, one guy fucking sold 90% of the country to Germans. Besides he is the only King in Danish to have had the entire country under the occupation of a foreign power.
>>
>>44373573
I took fencing in highschool, (i was poor going to a rich school, its complicated) frankly I know the basic feints and parries, chops and jab tricks of shortswords , am an ace with a rapier(belied by my large "lumbering giant" physique) and can swing a zweihander(aragorns from lotr at least) without killing myself soooo...
Equivalent of a musketeer who picked up any sword that wasn't a rapier
>>
>>44375095
If the other guy is alone or in a group more committed to getting in expecting an easy steal chances are he'll be more scared than you when he sees you carrying a big lump of metal
>>
>>44374985
Is this Ducatt the Bucket?
>>
>>44373573
Pretty rubbish with a sword, but I can handle myself unarmed. 3rd Dan shukokai karate, qualified instructor. Cross trained in jujitsu too.
>>
>>44373573
Good enough to kill someone with it, good enough to know to run from someone else who's good with a sword because I'd lose

>fencer
>>
>>44373747
/thread
>>
>>44373573
I haven't been practicing as much lately, but I'm pretty decent with longswords. I'm much better with fencing weapons, though.
>>
>>44375398
Nice. Does the Karate include grappling or have you left that avenue uncovered as yet?
>>
>>44375509
Yeah, but the grappling is pretty simple, just setting up strikes any kind of bar or lock is just a means to setting up a god pummeling.
>>
>>44373573
I'm Mexican so I get a bonus with knives and machetes.

But honestly I can use my knees and elbows pretty good and have been thinking about picking up Judo.
>>
File: 1450921337977.jpg (106KB, 640x718px) Image search: [Google]
1450921337977.jpg
106KB, 640x718px
>>44373573
Better than some, worse than others

I've trained with some HEMA practitioners to keep myself realistic about my own ability, I'm not bad, but someone that does it regularly will beat me 7 times out of 10

So probably middle to low skill.
>>
>>44373573
Better than you'd think, but worse than you were hoping for.
>>
>>44375102

Ain't a sergeant and not in charge of a platoon, so your point is moot.
>>
>>44373820
>>44373995
>>44374142
>>44374207
>>44374237
>>44374280
>a bunch of 11b's and MP's think being able to effectively return fire in a general direction is proficiency
>think their marksmanship badges mean dick

Get the fuck outta here. No one shoots worse at my range than you people, except the Airmen. You guys forget really quickly that the Army gives you the bare minimum training time unless you actually deploy regularly. Unless you guys are all 10+ year vets, none of you have deployed regularly.

Being able to get rounds on a person sized target doesn't mean anything when your doctrine is shoot at it until it stops. The only infantry I've seen be able to efficiently and accurate get rounds where they wanted them the first time are guys who spent time and effort of their own improving their marksmanship skills. MP's get a lot more range time from what I can tell, but they are still only good at about 100 yards which is dick with a rifle.

Get over yourselves. There's an incredibly small chance any of you are actually expert shooters. I'm not trying to say you aren't decent enough, but I'd put money down that none of you would take any medals home from any organized shooting event with even mediocre civilian competitors.

Source: I'm a vet who owns and operates a private gun range.
>>
>>44373573
Well no.

So if the gunless apocalypse happens I'd probably stick to spears or crossbows.
>>
>>44375826

No offense, but I don't know what you are talking about since I am not an americunt. I'm a mediocre shooter in my company, but I can put 9/12 reliably at 150 meter range. Proficiency does not mean expert.
>>
>>44373573

I can swing a stick and hit people with it.
>>
>>44375566
Sensible if your specialisation in striking.

>>44375604
If yer looking for knees and elbows look towards Muay Thai. Judo is more about throws and grapples to throw.
>>
>>44373573

Seven years' training in kendo.

The other party would very likely die, I may even survive myself if lucky or against someone significantly worse than me.
>>
Been training since April. I'm alright.
>>
>>44375826
Judging from when we began and then four months later. Yeah, I'd call the the people I went with and myself proficient with assault rifles especially considering that how retarded we were with those things when started, and were thoroughly unproficient.

Of course someone who spends their free time with weapons is gonna shoot better, just like the weekend warrior chick who went trecking fucking all the time was better at lugging tons of shit around than the rest of us, or the most buff dudes being more buff when they started than most of us when we finished, and many of them were in worse shape when they stopped because they couldn't keep up their usual training.

Nobody said experts, just proficient.
>>
>>44373573
I'm probably pretty shit, but I could chop a log with sniper precision when I had a fireplace.
>>
>>44373573
I'm better with a spear
>>
>>44375398
>karate
>can handle himself unarmed
hilarious
>>
>>44373573
At my level of edginess I no longer need a sword in order to cut.
>>
Congratulations! you win the "Most autistic thread currently on /tg/" award!
>>
>>44373573
Foil for ten years, saber for nine years, iaido and kendo for four. How that applies to a "swordfight" means I'd probably be quite good.

I'd still go for a bat first if I had to defend myself. Less finicky, more concussions and blunt trauma.
>>
>>44373573
its been a long time so i bet im rusty af
>>
File: edgy.png (222KB, 373x327px) Image search: [Google]
edgy.png
222KB, 373x327px
>>44376675
>>
File: archer.jpg (37KB, 630x355px) Image search: [Google]
archer.jpg
37KB, 630x355px
>>44375398
Karate? The Dane Cook of martial arts?
>>
File: 1392406843648.jpg (48KB, 350x345px) Image search: [Google]
1392406843648.jpg
48KB, 350x345px
>>44375141
>All you have to do is make the other guy not able to hurt you before he can do that
>Breaking into someone's home doesn't magically turn a home invader into a super good fighter
>It just makes them a douchebag
>>
>>44376638
> Assuming all karate is McDojo tier shit

Go back to shitposting on /asp/
>>
>>44373573
I'm basically like Finn in TFA with a lightsaber. I can probably kill some random mooks until a more random one comes along and kicks my ass.

I also might stand a chance against a veteran sword master if half their internal organs are trying to spill out on them, they've been caught in the epicenter of an explosion, and was mentally coming apart at the seams

I'd still end up with my ass kicked though.
>>
>>44376953
>not invoking the laws of mortal kombat
>not elevating one's self and one's opponent to superhuman tier abilities.
It's like you don't even try
>>
File: Hammahtime.gif (2MB, 368x265px) Image search: [Google]
Hammahtime.gif
2MB, 368x265px
>>44373573
I'm half decent, would probably be aced by most others in a test of pure skill. But in a real fight I'd be frighting Honestly.

to give a frame of reference; I'm bigger then Astaroth (Soul Caliber series) and weigh more then three times what he does, and I can put that weight behind my swings.

I work in demolition, and when most people take a bunch of swings to wreck something, it only takes me one or two, and I'm using a 50 lb hammer one handed
>>
File: dwield_4609.png (46KB, 350x297px) Image search: [Google]
dwield_4609.png
46KB, 350x297px
>>44373573

I'm okay with one sword but really, really fucking good with two.
>>
>>44377079

You're a big guy.
>>
>>44375793
If you can tell the Platoon leader what to do you're a staff NCO at the very least, and the fact that you're specifically telling him what to do implies that you're probably somewhere in the Company level.
The fact that you deny being a Sergeant implies either you're particular about your specific rank (which is unusual for Army, since you all get called Sergeant regardless) so I'm thinking you're an officer.
Lieutenant?
>>
documentary called reclaiming the blade ftw
>>
>>44377188

Second lieutenant, but I'm not American
>>
>>44377215
Huh, UK?
>>
>>44377235

Finnish
>>
>>44373573
Pointy end goes in other guy
>>
>>44373573
>How good are you with a sword IRL?
I caught the addiction a long time ago. Started studying Aikido, and was introduced to Kenjutsu and Aikijutsu shortly there after. Twenty plus years later I'm still at it. I like Yari and Naginata too.
>>
>>44377153
it's a fucking pain in the ass, hit my head all the time whenever I go through doorways, have to bring my own chair to get-togethers cause anything else can't handle it and divides itself by zero. and clothes are fucking expensive.

Worth it though cause everyone I know I can just throw them over my shoulder and run off whenever I want too
>>
>>44376413
>The other party would very likely die, I may even survive myself if lucky or against someone significantly worse than me.

This is the correct mindset for a good bugeisha. "The enemy is going to die. If they blink, hesitate, or make a mistake, then I may get to live to tell about it. But they are definitely going to die."

Your odds of winning in a fight are only 1 in 3.

1. You're better at violence than your opponent. You Live.
2. You're both equally skilled. You and your opponent die.
3. You're less skilled at violence than your opponent. You die, they live.

Best strategy - train to be more proficient than everyone else, and avoid needless violence. (Even newbs get lucky occasionally.)
>>
>>44373573
I've taken enough olympic style foil lessons that I could kill any average scrub with a real rapier without being disarmed by an unarmed man.

I haven't taken enough to fight anybody on my mediocre level with a sword.
>>
>>44377643
You are like, one montage away from being the best swordfighter on this board.
>>
>>44377755
>Best strategy - avoid needless violence
FTFY.
>>
>>44374941
People usually break in to occupied homes by accident
>>
>>44373573
Crap. My weapon proficiency is marksman rifles; reasonably skilled amateur
>>
>>44378201
Really? A sport where disarm attempts aren't allowed prepared you to avoid being disarmed?
>>
I joined a class for iaido/kendo (I know, I know) when I just started high school. Stuck with it for maybe two months?

Later I joined a Kung Fu school and have stuck with it for eight years pretty regular attendance, including some training in the gim (I guess most spell it jain now?) and the dao. No sparring though, so I don't think I'd risk saying I was good enough to take anybody on and expect to win except maybe somebody with no martial training whatsoever.
>>
Been doing 12th/13th century arming sword and kite shield for 2 years. I'm better than my peers who started at the same time as me in the same area, bar 1, but people with even a shred more experience than me tend to regularly kick my ass. Never fought any disciplines from outside that period though, so I'm not sure how I'd fare against bigger swords.
>>
I tookna few fencing classes in my highschool years, but never followed up on it. What I am pretty good with is my hand sledge. Nice wide head hammer
>>
File: 1451014550359.jpg (139KB, 589x777px) Image search: [Google]
1451014550359.jpg
139KB, 589x777px
Not very good, I haven't learned how to use one yet. Very interested though, wish I knew where to go to learn HEMA stuff in the US, specifically New England. Would also love to learn to some practical hand to hand stuff and of course learn to use a gun. I think it's pretty important from a philosophic point of view that a human know how to defend themselves from physical harm so this isn't "maybe I'll get around to it one day" for me.
>>
>>44373573
Eight years in kendo. So probably better than any random guy who picks up a sword. But still shitty if faced with a decent experienced swordsman.

I'd avoid a fight at all cost. If I had to fight, I'd try to make sure the other guy dies even if I end up dying.
>>
>>44373573
Just barely enough to be more dangerous to others than myself.
My general strategy consists primarily of pushing hard while swinging as quickly as possible at the general upper body area, trying to keep both feet planted, and praying I can finish it before the other guy realizes I have no idea what I'm doing.
Oh, and if the opportunity to punch/kick/knee/elbow them in the face/dick comes up, do it. A fight's a fight, I don't give a fuck.
>>
Good enough.

I was in one actual, with sharps (Albions, natch), "actually trying to kill you" fight, over a girl, of.course. I didn't die. He went to a hospital. The training I've done aside, that's enough. I'll be fine without ever being in another, thanks.
>>
>>44382159
... So you weren't thrown into jail?
>>
>>44382337

No police report. Occurred after hours at a local ren faire, 12 years ago now.
>>
>>44382159
>unzips katana
>*pssh nothing personnel kid*
>>
Proficiency: swing like a bat
>>
>>44373573
Absolutely shit, but I've got a Backsword and I've been practicing for long enough that I don't think I'm going to just give up.
>>
>>44381654
>>44381654
take your pick: about 30 clubs in the new england area

http://www.communitywalk.com/THE-HEMA-Group-finder-E-North-America-Eastern
>>
File: 1440297299134.gif (2MB, 642x360px) Image search: [Google]
1440297299134.gif
2MB, 642x360px
>>44382576
Fucking wild, thanks man.
>>
>>44373573
>Skill with a Sword - never touched a real one.
>Skill in the Noble Sport of Chessboxing - Moderately Gifted Amateur
>>
>>44382159

Isn't swordfighting like, your actual job, tho?
>>
File: 1445653901990.png (178KB, 207x291px) Image search: [Google]
1445653901990.png
178KB, 207x291px
>>44382619
Belated, but that was the wrong reaction image. I'm actually very happy you linked me that information.
>>
>>44382739

Kind of, yeah. Stage combat and stunt work is my actual job (used to joust as well, but I decided I preferred to spend time with my remaining limbs), but know how to *actually* do it is hugely useful in *faking* it. So just working with the SAFD and BASSCC isn't enough; I worked with HACA (before it became ARMA) and I've done a fair bit of HEMA and worked with the guys in Hammaborg.

I will say two things about being in a swordfight and that's all:
1) Whatever training you have doesn't matter unless it's gotten to pure muscle-memory in real-world scenarios (as in, bad terrain, mud, wind, etc)...and NO training matters as much as actually being willing to hit somebody with a sword knowing what it's going to do.

2) Looking at somebody lying on the ground with sword cut on the outside of their knee and knowing that *you* did that is a peculiar feeling in the pit of your stomach that I do not recommend. I could tell you almost nothing of the actual techniques I used - if any - because I have almost no memory of the actual bladework itself. I remember throwing a wind into a face thrust that he voided into a throw, and the only reason I was able to recover from being thrown was that he face-planted in the mud.

2a) Don't fight in places where you keep horses. They churn the hell out of the ground, lots of hoof indents and everything turns to mud.
>>
>>44374033
On the internet, no one knows that you're a sword. No one.
>>
File: 1443467066725.jpg (19KB, 249x230px) Image search: [Google]
1443467066725.jpg
19KB, 249x230px
>want to practice a martial art
>scared to talk to people
>>
Absolutely none, never even held one.

I can shoot everything that shoots, though, from slingshot to rifle, and have some experience with a sling.
>>
>>44373573
i can confirm that i have held a sword once, and that i would probably be killed if i had to fight someone else with a sword.
>>
>>44373573
Well, I know how to drop one and run away with style.
>>
>>44374890
mirror this for people who are left handed.
>>
>>44379957
Because I know to keep my distance and only strike when necessary, and do so decisively. Basically hold back, wait for an opening where the arms are not in front of the breast, thrust, get arrested for manslaughter.
>>
I'm pretty fucking good with a sword (and martial arts) thanks to a traditionalist as hell father. I am also IRL an enormous wimpy pacifist with major depression issues.
>>
>>44373573
Did Meyer longsword and Ringen for a few years, though I haven't kept up with it in about a year. I also did some very basic Scottish broadsword for a few months this past summer. So by any real standards, pretty meh. For the modern layman, pretty good.
>>
>>44377153
For you
>>
>>44377585
Ja palkka juoksee...
>>
>>44373573
I know some theory. Could probably beat a random person with around the same level of fitness as me but that's about it.
>>
>>44373573
I've done some sport fencing. Not entirely accurate to a real fight but I've got the basic reflexes down so I probably won't die instantly. I could probably face down someone with only book learning, thanks in no small part to my own book learning, but someone with experience, physicality, or a more practical style would probably skewer me in short order.

...and I'm hungry again.
>>
>>44373573
Never even held one...
>>
>>44376169
>Judo is more about throws and grapples to throw.
Well yeah, that's why I want to learn Judo. It's what I'm interested in.
>>
>>44373573
Depends rapier or sabre probably fuck all you fat guys up as ive won medals competing in both.

Two hander or broadsword probably alright as I could cross skill the autonomic reflexes.
>>
>>44373573
I cant swing things horizontally with both hands. I just get in my own way its really awkward.
>>
>>44375826
>I'm a vet who owns and operates a private gun range
And a salty one at that.
>>
where do you find sword training. Not like fencing or kendo but longswaaarrddd
>>
Depends how you'd judge proficiency. During sparing I'm quite excellent, but a lot of that is due to being very aggressive and using a lot of high risk/reward maneuvers. I'd almost certainly be to scared to use them in a real sword fight.
>>
>>44384607
While I do not want to speak against your proficiency, as I do respect competent fencers:
The weapons used in sport are not all that comparable to the real deal. A rapier in sport weighs below a kilogram, and is slightly below the length of a broadsword, whereas an actual rapier is longer than one and about as heavy. A saber weighs, what? 600 grams? Most of them where pretty heavvy, as you wanted force in a slash.

And from my (small) experience with switching from sport to historic fencing: There's not many things translatable to a two handed weapon.

Still, would not want to fight you. Experienced fencers are fucking fast.
Thread posts: 202
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.