[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 40

File: GGv03.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
GGv03.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Let's actually make something edition.

OK GURPSfags, it's time for the regular /gg/ thread, but this time I think we should set ourselves a little project. Let's try writing a mini-supplement for GURPS.

First things first; what is it going to be about?

Probably best to go for a catalogue approach, so that we can contribute one entry at a time. Some ideas: vehicles, modern NPC templates (like the modern version of Historical Folks), animal templates (although GURPS Animalia and the various fan-made bestiaries arguably already do an OK job), more guns...

<- the PDF has an archive containing all 4th edition books except Aliens: Sparrials and Dungeon Fantasy: Guilds. If anyone wants to buy one of those and share it, that would be much appreciated.

Older books (some of them not in the MEGA Archive): https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qiq29z073l9zs/GURPS
>>
>>44201149
Everyone complains about the lack of adventures. Why not start there?

Also, from 7chan, here's a link with Sparrials and Guilds:

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/A26BfbAGKG%2BnEROX3XLlKYyF2%2BAeCbkpeHQ3PCutydl5g7o0NvYLsrRGHgHqk1Si
>>
>>44201540
Thanks, anon.

The issue with adventures is that they don't seem well suited to being written as a group effort. I guess we could possibly agree on a general story arc and each write a short encounter or something?
>>
>>44201982
Encounters then. Set-piece scenes that can be dropped into existing adventures. Make them generic and with notes on what would have to change to fit them into other genres.
>>
Personally, I'd rather see a compendium of vehicles. It seems to be pretty simple to do based on internet research, it's well suited to everyone doing a little bit, the result is likely to be useful for many campaigns and it's low-effort so more people are likely to contribute something.
>>
If that's what gets going it's all good.
>>
>>44202390
>It seems to be pretty simple to do based on internet research,
What did you find on that subject? That sounds interesting to me but I don't really know where to look.
>>
>>44202489
Sorry I meant 'it seems like it would be simple to stat vehicles using only research from a simple web search'.

Basically, a vehicle stats can be derived from real-world information fairly simply:

ST/HP is worked out the same as for any other object, based on empty weight.
Hnd/SR is slightly tricky but can probably be estimated based on similar vehicles or the rules from Spaceships.
Move is acceleration and top speed in yards per second. In most cases the latter will be easy to find and the former can probably be estimated.
LWt and Load are usually pretty obvious.
SM is just derived from the vehicle's length and shape.
Occ is just what seating the vehicle has, generally pretty obvious.
DR is slightly tricky, but can be estimated as 70 per inch of RHA equivalent or based on average damage from a weapon that the vehicle is considered armoured against.
Range is simple, although sometimes a little hard to find for military vehicles.
Cost might require you to convert to GURP$: use this website and convert to 2005 US dollars: http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/
Locations are usually obvious.
Draft and stall speed are usually published, so just use the real-world figure.
>>
>>44201149

Was wondering when another GURPS general was going to happen.

I need to ask you guys: I'm making a custom setting. It's Dieselpunk in a fictional world, where dragons have ruled over human since the dawn of man, and only in the last few centuries have humans been able to replace them as the dominant species due to technological innovation and well-organized societies.

As silly as all that may sound, it's actually a setting I hope will have a lot of verisimilitude and intriguing details based on real-world allegories.

There are several obstacles to overcome before getting a table together.

>> Finding a way to convey enough information to the players so that they may function in the world, without infodumping, making a bajillion documents they'll probably never read, or only giving info on a need-to-know basis.

>> On the same note, getting the players immersed in the world without bogging them down. It's one thing to tell an interesting story, it's another to get players in a game to engage with it.

>> Custom weapons and gear. The TL will be 6, as the setting's tech is similar to the 1920s of our world, but various guns and gear will need to be added, improved upon, or removed. Do I just copy and make edits as necessary? Is there some template to follow to make the process easier?

>> As a new GURPS GM, how can I best scale adventures based on points? Has anyone ever run/played-in something remotely similar, and knows what an effective point value for the PCs in a TL6 setting might be?
>>
Why applying Limitations to multiple things to create one ability, do you calculate the percentage removals after or before?
>>
>>44202741
Ah. So I'm still out of luck for a better way to do made-up vehicles.
>>
>>44202819
Before, I think.

So if you have an ability which gives you Absolute Direction and Charisma 1 (only weekdays, -10%) you apply the limitation to each advantage in turn as if they were entirely separate abilities, then lump them together in a single package (in the example given, saving no points at all because each individual advantage is worth less than 10 points even though together they add up to 10).
>>
I made my own character sheet, disatisfied as I was with the default 4e sheet; just minor adjustments to the main page. We mostly play fantasy, so I added some flavor, but I've got a generic one in the wings as well.

However, idk how to set up the boxes to automatically fill themselves in based on infromation from other boxes, let alone how to make some spaces just fill themselves out with math based on input in other areas.

My original intent was to just copy the boxes from the official sheet that do that, but those are password protected and idk how to un-protect/rip the form-boxes off of it. I tried saving as a different file type, but they all lost the ability to access or even edit the form boxes all together.

How do I do any of that?
>>
>>44203060
So then, this would be correct?

HARDWIRING MK II
Enhanced Time Sense (Trigger, -30%) [32]
+1 Basic Speed (Trigger, -30%) [14]
Low Pain Threshold (Trigger, -30%) [-7]
Nuisance Effect (-4 FP afterwords) [-20%]
TOTAL COST: 32 points / 32,000EM
>>
>>44202767
>>44202767
>>> Finding a way to convey enough information to the players so that they may function in the world, without infodumping, making a bajillion documents they'll probably never read, or only giving info on a need-to-know basis.

Give the players some basic setting info (not much more than the grafs you gave us here) and let them fill in the rest. Have some descriptions and other stuff handy so you can throw in if the players don't have anything or start going off the rails. "Yes, and", motherfucker.

>> On the same note, getting the players immersed in the world without bogging them down. It's one thing to tell an interesting story, it's another to get players in a game to engage with it.

See above, motherfucker.

>> Custom weapons and gear. The TL will be 6, as the setting's tech is similar to the 1920s of our world, but various guns and gear will need to be added, improved upon, or removed. Do I just copy and make edits as necessary? Is there some template to follow to make the process easier?

High Tech and the Pulp Guns and Adventure Guns supplements. Rename things so they fit your world and run with it. If you want enchanted stuff, you'll want Magic, but be aware that it's a widely-criticized book, motherfucker.

>> As a new GURPS GM, how can I best scale adventures based on points? Has anyone ever run/played-in something remotely similar, and knows what an effective point value for the PCs in a TL6 setting might be?

50-100 is a run of the mill dude
100-150 is physically/mentally exceptional, very good at a few skills, or journeyman-level in a great many.
250-500 or so is a cross between the above and a superhero/head of government/multimillionaire/cyborg dude/powerful nonhuman. This is probably where low-level dragons would be if you made them as characters.
500-1000 are super-beings bordering on gods.
1000-3000 are legit gods, and can possibly move worlds/end worlds once per turn.
>>
>>44203299
>If you want enchanted stuff, you'll want Magic, but be aware that it's a widely-criticized book, motherfucker.
Like seriously is anyone happy with the extant enchantment system and what other options are there?
>>
Given that 4th edition has no rules for vehicle creation, if I were to try and make combat mechs with the character system, how would I go about it?

Innate weapons with ammo-related limitations? Sufficiently high ST and DX, nonexistent IQ since they're pilot-only? What sort of point range should I be looking at for something Battletech-scale?
>>
>>44203299
>1000-3000 are legit gods, and can possibly move worlds/end worlds once per turn.

Casual reminder that 53 points without disadvantages is enough to wipe out all of the known universe in one turn. GM Limitations matter.
>>
>>44203379
Jesus, how does one manage that?
>>
>>44203299

>> If that's the best alternative.

>> Same as above.

>> I have all those pdfs. The obvious idea was to do what you said, but making custom guns would be nice. Guess it'd be easier to just fiddle with the stats a bit.

>> Not really what I meant, but indirectly answered the question anyway.
>>
>>44203299
>>44203441

Forgot to say thank you. So, thank you!
>>
>>44203409

Munchkin's Universe-shaking Nondirectional Cosmic Hyperluminal Kinetoelectromagnetic Interference Neurodisrupter (M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?s=97d08762c83327d8588ebd8ef777d4f8&p=239055&postcount=216
>>
>>44202767

Getting players immersed in an original world is a problem I haven't found a solution to yet. Even fairly simplistic setting can be difficult to communicate to people without them glazing over.

The vast majority of gear can simply be used from High-Tech without modification. The only point where people are likely to notice real-world details seem out of place are in the guns and it's fucking easy to disguise them; just change the names, tweak calibres by half-a-millimetre or so, increase or reduce ammo capacity by up to 20% and/or modify weight by a couple of ounces. A Colt 1911 becomes a Schultz 12mm with an eight round magazine, increasing it's weight by 0.1 lbs. Really, for any but the most famous weapons you can just use the stats exactly as they are.

Points depend very much on the genre rather than the setting. If you want pulp action heroes you will likely want at least 200, possibly 300. Meanwhile a gritty, hard-boiled style campaign might be more suited to 100 or 150 point characters.
>>
>>44203477
Shit, that's hardcore. Good thing I check over all of my player's custom advantage things! Hahaha!
>>
>>44203372
The spaceships series actually has rules for making mechs if you want them.

As for mechs as characters, it kind of depends on how big they are and what you want to do with them. If it's going to be mostly a game of mech-combat against mech-sized enemies, I'd be tempted to just stat each character up and a human-scale robot (so an average mech would have ST 10, but that's on a mech scale, which might translate to ST 100 in human terms) including the pilot stats in the same package.
>>
>>44203622
At a quick glance at the Spaceships examples and the rules they have listed: I don't like it. I'm not sure why, it just seems unsatisfying. Is it better than the character sheet approach?
>>
>>44203480
>Getting players immersed in an original world is a problem I haven't found a solution to yet. Even fairly simplistic setting can be difficult to communicate to people without them glazing over.

That's why I lean towards just giving a skeleton and letting the players flesh it out. It results in some pure idiocy, like a prominent noble being named Lord Fuckingham but even at a shits-and-giggles level it gets players involved.
>>
So does anyone using GURPS actually want premade adventures? Because the way I see it, GURPS is the ultimate stepp for GMs who want to make things themself (without being an outright homebrew), and writing your own adventures is usually the first thing a GM want to do on his own.
>>
>>44203372
A generic giant mecha is probably around SM+6, ST 200 or so, DR 100 and packing weapons which do something like 6dx5 with each hit.
>>
>>44203854
That's the thing. I bought Mirror of the Fire Demon and sorta looked at it and went "nah, I wanna do my own thing." I took a buncha stuff from it but didn't use the adventure as written at all. I've done the same thing with a few old d20 adventures, too. That said, it'd be nice to have more material to crib from that's already in the system I prefer.
>>
>>44203680
>Is it better than the character sheet approach?

Not really, in my opinion. Most mecha stories seem to have a pretty loose take on things like realistic physics anyway, so having consistent stats for that kind of stuff doesn't help.

In my mind, the most important element of scaling mecha is getting their ability to punch each other right. Scale everything else around that.
>>
If we're going to convert some real-world vehicles, I guess the first thing to decide is which ones?

Does anyone have any requests?
>>
>>44203854
The majority of the current fags don't. The new people all do. It's what they're used to. They need the training wheels. It's the single biggest complaint about the system.
>>
>>44204229
Its in the OP
>>
>>44204190
Those damn kids needing modules! Back when I start playing RPGs, I wrote all my own adventures! And you bet your ass they all sucked until I realized how to write properly, but I'll be damned if they didn't make me the GM I am today!

Or something like that. Making modules for GURPS seems sort of against the point of it being a system that allows more creativity.
>>
>>44204288
Eh, I could see something like an introductory module that phases in more complex parts of the basic system. Not so much training wheels as it is a way to get a taste of GURPS in action.
>>
>>44204339
I suppose, but the problem is that there's so many rules, and so much picking and choosing to create the perfect system for your setting. If you make a module to show off what GURPS can do, you're making one hell of a module. I think although it may make it slightly esoteric, modules aren't necessary for GURPS, and doesn't really help further its design goals.

If you're the kind of person to run a module, you've probably got a pre-written setting, and if it's a pre-written setting, chances are there's already a system for it.

To put it one way, someone who relies on modules (Shadowrunner syndrome, I call it) isn't going to make full use of GURPS' potential, and probably won't even find a use in GURPS to begin with. Honestly, I just stuck with Cyberpunk 2020 before I decided to write my own setting, and I only really started looking at GURPS because homebrewing Psionic rules for 2020 was a pain. Turns out I really like GURPS for my own settings, so hey, woo.
>>
>>44202767

>> Finding a way to convey enough information to the players so that they may function in the world, without infodumping, making a bajillion documents they'll probably never read, or only giving info on a need-to-know basis.

I find getting players to help goes a long way on this. Have each player help you with one area that matters to their character, so each player is an authorty on a different subject in the setting.

They can speak confidently and fill in the rest of the players/characters when it comes up.

Other then that, don't worry if you only give them a few iconic settings and characters.

I'd rather know about one simple gin joint in Morocco then the history of Africa for the last thousand years.
>>
>>44204490
You can also toss the creativity ball to the player at the table if they are okay with it. Ask them directly what a neighborhood or NPC is like.

One time I did this and an area I'd thought would be full of gang violence and thugs ended up a gentrified artist colony full of theater people and homosexuals.
>>
>>44204456
>>44204339
>>44204288
There is a pre written setting, and it seems kinda stupid
>>
>>44204801
Well, there is several. I kinda like roma arcana myself.
>>
>>44204801
Infinite Worlds? Now that I think of it, there's also Psiberpunk, and Cyberworld. I don't know about the former, but Cyberworld is pretty fucking tight now that I remember it.
>>
>>44204842
The 3e settings can be pretty neat. I like the Madlands (3e Fantasy II) because the insane eldritch gods are actually the characters of the Winnie the Pooh books.
>>
File: 1447721501617.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1447721501617.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>44204456
>>44204288
>>44204190
I GM GURPS for just about a year now, so pretty newbish all-around.
And what I need is not modules or scenarios or adventure paths or scenes or whatever you call it. I need lists, neatly organized and easy to work with.
There is NO lists for typical fantasy armour/weapons with all the modifiers and enhancements. And before you direct me to DF1, it just references you to use Basic Set. Which doesn't include some neat tweaks from LowTech. So I need to waste my time combining DF, BS and LT.
That's just weaponry though. Alchemy, herbs, you name it. DF1 is certainly a huge help but nowhere near a moderately expansive list of, say, 3.5/PF.
The other side is: I have more control over what to include. But the time, man. And also no cute art with potions and garbs and adventuring gear.
And NO dedicated fantasy trait list with concise descriptions. Not only I have to go through psi/futuristic abilities and skills while looking for what I need, they also have huge-ass descriptions which my players don't want to see (often describing modern/futuristic uses as well; same with art, it just doesn't help the mood). AND it's alphabetical.
And the rules, damn. They are scattered fricking everywhere. The rules themselves are not difficult and are logical and fun, but the structure of the books is absolute ass. Not even mentioni g I have to wade through 1001 pyramids and even non-fantasy splats like Action to find some useful rules.

So, I need to get "GURPS: Skill Categories" and rewrite some of the trait descriptions and add some decent-looking art and get item lists from some wonderful community pdfs like Saduria Marketplace and get bestiary entries from community pdfs (which are awesome) and again add art. Yes, it's autistic, but it helped immensely both me and my players.

So that's, in my anecdotal opinion, is what GURPS needs. A 200p or so book with item lists, art, bestiary, traits only relevant to the genre. DF is great but not enough.
>>
File: 1447817970945.png (5MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1447817970945.png
5MB, 2560x1440px
>>44205555
And no, it's not pasta. I really like GURPS and sincerely want it to get the attention it deserves. But the presentation is shit. Yes, I have read about their financial state and Munchkin and everything.
>>
Somebody expressed interest in me joining a gurps cyberpunk game. Anyone have any information and opinions on that?
>>
>>44205555
I see what you mean about the rules.

How would you even organize the traits differently? It's generic so your fantasy trait list is different from mine. Both are probably different from a third person.

The gear could probably be put into a list better. Probably. And the skills are a mess, even just in the basic book. I'd kill for a revised basic but that's just not going to happen.

The only way I can think of to do all you want is a program front end to a database that allows you to specify some parameters and spits out a customized version of basic for that one game.
>>
>>44201149

In dungeon fantasy, should the bard or knight be leader?
>>
>>44206484
Depends on your definition of the leader. Knight will lead the group in dungeon, and bard will be the face of the group in town, but it doesn't means that they will be in charge of the party. If there is even a need for a "party commander", it should be the player with most common sense. But usually the party will either be an anarchy, or it will be led by the most active and loud player (regardless of his common sense, unfortunately).
>>
>>44206528
It just seems like the Bard can do the knights leadership job much better while letting the knight focus more on killing.
>>
OK, here's my first vehicle write-up. Took a bit longer than I thought; the hard part was mostly writing a good description.
>>
File: Honda Super Cub.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Honda Super Cub.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>44206643

Helps if I remember to actually attach the file...
>>
>>44205898
Yep, I ended up writing an app for character creation where I had some premade filters for traits.
>>
What are the main differences between GURPS 3th edition and 4th edition?
I want to read some setting books from 3th edition but I'm unsure of what are the main differences gameplay wise.
Is there a conversion guide somewhere that I could use?
>>
>>44207337
Long story short, the difference is that 3e is shit and 4e is best system out there. Pretty much every complaint you hear about GURPS (it's too rule heavy! it can't even get realism right! etc) is about 3e. Also historical supplements are all kinds of fucked.
>>
>>44207337
>Is there a conversion guide somewhere that I could use?

The official SJ Games one is pretty good:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/resources/4eupdate.pdf

Notable changes: ST and HP are pretty different, Languages are completely different, Perception was added as an attribute, Passive Defence was mostly removed (and renamed to Defence Bonus where it wasn't) but all active defences got a significant boost, perks were added, skill costs changed a bit (no more half-point ones and both mental and physical skills max out at four points per level), Manoeuvres were renamed as Techniques and changed in cost.
>>
In a hard cyberpunk (set in the very near future) game, I want to have a fairly large resistance group based in a Casablanca-esque area, protected by the big guys all constantly fighting over (x big material). If it were in the Middle East, what would people fight over besides oil? If nothing, WHY would they fight over the oil? Any ideas? Other methods of protection would work, e.g. somewhere in the Phillipines protected by dangerous-ass wildlife.
>>
>>44207431
>>44207449

Got it, thanks a lot!
>>
File: 1295986961492.png (260KB, 495x442px) Image search: [Google]
1295986961492.png
260KB, 495x442px
>>44203074
Bump for help.
>>
>>44207461
>If it were in the Middle East, what would people fight over besides oil?

How big do you want these big guys to be? Local powers will probably fight over culturally significant territory and local water/food/power generators.

If you want something bigger, I think you need to have something which is constructed in the area. No-one is likely to build anything really valuable in a politically unstable area like the middle east if they have a choice, so chances are it's either something which has to go through the middle east (shipping or power lines) or something which you aren't allowed to build in more civilised locations (poorly regulated biotechnology labs maybe).
>>
Working on a Infinite-worlds like game, but where Homeline has some magic, imbuements, and magic-based powers. Magery there is still somewhat rare, and the only known method of parachronic activity is through Cosmic Freeways from ultratech.

Anyways, the goal is to do basically GURPS: Animoo Fightan. Protagonists are at a school learning how to work for the Office of Off-World operations, in "interesting" worlds. I'd like some thoughts on an enemy I whipped up for the first PC to get their sheet done. First, the PC, a pain mage with a sword-whip.
>>
>>44208051
Second, the NPC, someone infected with the virus-like "Baron Munchausen". Her portrait is over here
>http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=2945517

Do you think they'd make for a good fight?
>>
>>44207631
For some reason i hadn't thought of that. I was thinking a multi-faction conflict, and probably a combination of the stuff you talked about seems pretty good. Something like a lab that was held by a dead scientist/celebrity who gave out the location in his ladt will (asking to have it destroyed)? It'd probably have a group of mercs trying to destroy it, funded by his family, two or three bigger powers trying to claim it, and then it may have been built on a large oil well that some other rag-tag faction needs. That seems like a pretty good setup for a huge clusterfuck fight.
>>
>>44203409
>Jesus, how does one manage that?
The problem is with how range modifier cost scale
>>
We are playing a family Dungeon Fantasy game for Christmas time with myself as a cleric, my brother as a thief, my dad as a barbarian, my girlfriend's brother as a martial artist, and my girlfriend as the GM.

My dad is surprisingly good at the "let's smash skulls" style role play, and his character is there because at least one person needs to know how to fight. He enjoys that I gave him a character that is killing everything in almost one hit, and has the durability of a mountain.

My brother's character is a coward and can't stand fighting.

My girlfriend's brother's character is a blowhard and almost lost hand to hand combat against an orc when he was the one to demand it. He pulled out his weapons in the middle of the fight and critically failed on the attack, throwing his weapons away.

I just protect the rear, getting drunk on our cart full of supplies with a disciple to whom I'm teaching the way of my religion.
>>
Can you stack Telegrafic Attacks and All-Out Attacks?
>>
>>44210014

Yes.
>>
>>44210014
Yep. That's how low-skill ambushers can still manage to reliably take out targets. Skill of 9 or 10 +4 (AoA) +4 (Telegraphic) -3 (Vitals) = final effective skill of 14 or 15. That's a really solid chance of success on a high-injury attack considering the negligible amount of points invested.

Ambushes are fucking terrifying in GURPS. Goblins sneaking up on a fantasy party is an actual lethal threat for the vast majority of PCs, not something that can be laughed off by even the squishiest of wizards.
>>
>>44208865
Realized I made a mistake that accidentally made the ability a point more expensive than it should be. I made this kamehameha attack for the martial artist character that likes Dragon Ball Z.

Ki Blast (-25%): Innate Attack (Burn) 4 (Takes Extra Time, 4 Seconds, -30%; All Out Attack -25%; Nuisance Effect (Requires Unarmed) -5%;Accurate +5%; Requires FP 1 -5%; Variable +5%, Chi Power -10%) [10].
With alternate ability:

Ki Blast (Weaker) (-20%): Innate Attack (Burn) (Nuisance Effect (Requires Unarmed) -5%; Requires FP 1 -5%; Chi Power -10%) [4].

Together it is 11 points because of the alternate ability discount. You can either do a really slow strong attack, or a fast weak attack.
>>
>>44210314
And messed it up again. The main one should be -65%, and cost 7 points, making the total ability 8 points.
>>
>>44210283
Also good for "DURR ZOMBIE!" attacks, although they might well move and attack until they get at you and you are unable to move significantly.

They will also of course, get grabby and surround you, making it very hard to defend.

That's another thing that can be good for relatively low skilled fighters, that are significantly stronger and/or bigger than enemies: grabbing.

Ogres and Trolls and Giants can be scary in fantasy too if they lay hands on you. Which by itself, is not necessarily that difficult. And even if it is, well, they only have to get lucky once. As soon as they actually grab you they are so overwhelmingly large and powerful that many characters and npcs will inevitably get Wrenched/Crunched to death.

They just plain pull your arms and legs off, or just your head. Or they can snap your spine.

Very Grendel, honestly.

To get past that you either don't let them get on you, or you win because you are wriggly and insanely skilled, or at some points values, skilled, and stupidly (if not outright demigod tier) strong. Like Heracles or Conan or yes, Beowulf.

Also the preferred method for the "20ish point RL normie" character wonder like you and me or a stripling peasant lad to take out the legendary House Cat. You grab it with all out attack, and you wring it's neck. Sure, it has claws, but it's also quite weak, and many feel it would be appropriate to give them an armor divisor/rule that whether you bother with that or not, thick clothes will stop "real" damage.

An attack dog though? You're probably fucked, especially if it gets you by the throat. Even a relatively robust character is going to die if there isn't magic or Ultra Tech anti-bleedy syringes to plug wounds if he gets his throat ripped out. And dogs have pretty good brawling.
>>
File: bccims8frkcwqvnilfbd.jpg (73KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
bccims8frkcwqvnilfbd.jpg
73KB, 620x413px
These models gave me a fun idea for a GM.

>"The light on the sapphire fades as the skeleton collapses to the ground"
>"I pry out the jewel to take a look at it"
>"Sure, now roll will"
>>
>>44210314
Shouldn't it also maybe have double knockback?
>>
Is there a RAW way of replacing an advantage's required attribute roll with a flat roll like for Unreliable? I was thinking of including a variant of Common Sense for my upcoming XCOM-esque game that relied on someone else doling out "are you sure you want to do that" in the form of codec-style conversations, and rolling against IQ doesn't really make sense in that context.

I guess I could just slap on Cosmic, No die roll required (+100%) and just assume the person on the other line is always listening.
>>
>>44211317
That is a good consideration, but to do knockback according to the rules, it must be cutting or crushing... running the numbers right now... a crushing version with double knockback would cost 11 points for the full version and 2 points for the alternate attack weak one, together for 13 points.
>>
File: 1336183446350.png (497KB, 637x454px) Image search: [Google]
1336183446350.png
497KB, 637x454px
>>44203074
>>44207593
> 6 Hours Later
Well I've figured out most of the math stuff, except for factoring in your Size Mod to the Strength Cost automatically, but that's FAR from mandatory.
That, and getting the picture box to let you automatically import an image into it are the only two things I still have to figure out how to do.

If anyone knows how to make it do either of those that'd be great!

...and now I'm getting "Upload Failed."
what gives?
>>
>>44211613
Eh, just add it, m8.
Also, if you can't use all these abilities at once, you might want to slap "alternate abilities" on the cheapest ones, meaning you can multiply their final cost by 0,2.
>>
>>44211671
Yup, alternate abilities is the way I'm taking it. I was thinking of just attaching variable (which I still did because it's cheap.) But that only affects the damage. So, the only reasonable thought I had to scale charging time to damage was to use an alternate attack.

What I can do to be RAW is make it a crushing attack with incendiary for +10%, and double knockback +20% and that way it has the possible side effects of burning things, while still legally being allowed to have knockback.

Ki Blast (-35%): Innate Attack (Crushing) 4 (Takes Extra Time, 4 Seconds, -30%; All Out Attack -25%; Nuisance Effect (Requires Unarmed) -5%;Accurate +5%; Requires FP 1 -5%; Variable +5%, Chi Power -10%; Incendiary +10%; Double Knock Back +20%) [13].

Ki Blast (Weaker) (+10%): Innate Attack (Crushing) 1 (Nuisance Effect (Requires Unarmed) -5%; Requires FP 1 -5%; Chi Power -10%; Incendiary +10%; Double Knock Back +20%) [6].

The second effect being an alt ability of the first means that it costs 13+2 = 15.
>>
Bump of life
>>
Double bump of life.

GURPS general ded general
>>
When a man and a woman love eachother very much, and one slams into the other at 15 y/s with 10 hp, the slam damage is (15x10)/100=150, so rounding up to 2d crushing yeah?

Do they both then roll 2d against eachother? Or does one party count as having no velocity if they stand still (so they do like 1d-3)?
>>
File: f5333f37aee8987e09e141cae85348d2.jpg (249KB, 1600x1314px) Image search: [Google]
f5333f37aee8987e09e141cae85348d2.jpg
249KB, 1600x1314px
>>44208051
>>44208091
Some further thoughts, after talking with a friend.

The Baron (pictured here) has her tactics vary pretty strongly on whether or not she is able to pass her overconfidence roll. If she is, she'll try to hang back with Walk on Air and pepper Ries with Lightning, relying on her superior ranged abilities. If she can't, she'll try to close as quickly as possible, and then use Lightning Weapon and/or pressure points with her swordcane while it's sheathed, aiming to disable Ries; if she wins, she'd handcuff Ries to something and leave. If she's feeling really flash, she'd go so far as to draw her sword for double-parry action and then continue the fight.
>>
>>44217536
>(15x10)/100=150
I meant 1.5 not 150. So 1.5 rounding up to 2.
>>
>>44205555

Very well said.

The SJGames forum has been having exactly this conversation. Even pk and kromm recognize that. The problem is getting people to agree on what exactly GURPS Core should have in it. But you've hit the nail right on the head here.
>>
>>44217536
Both take the 2d damage. Slamming kind of sucks unless you are much stronger than the target, you have decent armour or you do it as an All-Out Attack (Strong).
>>
Was there ever a more detailed rendition of "Enchantment Through Deeds" from Thaumatology? I like the concept but the guidelines given are so vague as to be useless; it basically spends a page and a half saying "do whatever you want IDGAF."
>>
>>44210538
Strong chars with weapon master are very good, especially if they master a throwing weapon.
>>
How do i handle close combat between two -2 races? can't find it anywhere. Do i treat it as regular combat? there is any househules for it?
>>
>>44222095
Also how do i scale shields down like i do with weapons and armor?
>>
>>44222095
In original rules, they both get -2 penalty. But later it wasfixed, so only relative SM counts, therefore they both fight without penalty.
>>
>>44222319
i'm talking about C combat, u know, two creatures occupying the same hex. BUT here comes the point, normal weapons for sm-2(axes, swords, twohanded axes) are reach C, only Close Combat, a special type of combat whenn two creatures occupy the same hex.

now again my doubt, how do i treat this combat? my logic says that two sm-2 are so small that they can occupy the same hex without really being a proper C combat. Am i wrong? Should i use the C rules or just make a "regular" combat?
>>
>>44222416
I'm pretty sure that for ease of use, it'd just be normal close combat. I don't recall ever reading anything about varying degrees of CC.

If you really wanted to, I guess you could just scale down the hex size appropriately (so SM-2 would use 0.5yd hexes) and use "normal" reach, but that'd become a headache pretty quickly if you have any bigger characters, because everybody who's not SM-2 would have to recalculate reach and whatnot.
>>
>>44223288
For shields I'd just treat their DB as normal because a properly-scaled shield should protect just as much of the character, and reduce their weight/DR as normal for armour and HP by the same factor as weight.

A larger/smaller SM shield would either be unusable or might give ±1/SM bonus to DB if you're feeling generous.
>>
File: Economy Cars.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Economy Cars.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Some vehicles for the project. Not especially interesting ones, but a good learning experience for me.
>>
>>44224491
I wonder how the East Germany managed to fuck their car industry up so much. Even Soviet ZAZ wasn't as bad as Trabby.
>>
>>44224849

There were plenty of British cars sold around the same time which were just as bad or worse than the Trabant. I remember my family's Morris Minor: the bits which had been patched up with duct-tape looked more solid than the original bodywork.

The major difference was that those cars were really fucking cheap and easily available. Meanwhile the commies were selling theirs for something like seven thousand marks, which was too much even when you took the fact the east german mark was worth maybe 15% of it's official value. Going by the official exchange rate, you would have been able to get a Jaguar or something for that price.
>>
>>44225041
I did some calculations with the original price of first-gen ZAZ, and it seems that it would cost $3000-5000 in modern bux and $6000 in GURP$ I had a nifty way to convert - original price was the same as thousand bottles of vodka, and bottle of liquor costs $6 in GURPS. Not that bad, though I'm not sure how the production was keeping up with the demand - it certainly wasn't the case with the other cars made in USSR.
>>
So if im reading this correctly, active defenses succeed as long as you roll under the skill level? They're not treated as quick opposed tests, correct?
>>
>>44225523
Yes.
>>
>>44225560
That seems kind of weird. Is there any reason why it's not just a quick opposed test?
>>
>>44225647
Because it needs one less roll that way.
>>
>>44225676
What? No it doesn't. If it was an opposed test, then you would just compare it rather than seeing if it simply won or not.
>>
>>44225713
Oh, you mean opposed test of attack skill vs defense? The problem is that defense is usually much lower than attack skill, and the whole combat is balanced with this in mind.
>>
>>44225771
Alright, fair enough I suppose.
>>
>>44225771
But it's lowered specifically because it isn't a contest I think. It feels like a mechanically conscious decision was made to use (skill/2)+3 to put it in line with Speed + 3 for defenses.

If you want a system of using quick contests instead, to make it fair, dodges would probably be around (Speed + 3)*2, and parries/blocks would just be weapon skill, and double the penalties for repeated dodges/parries. Enhanced Dodge/block/parry would all become half as valuable, as would a few things like Combat Reflexes. Enhanced Defenses would probably be reduced to techniques in fact, if not removed entirely.

Deceptive Attack would become mechanically meaningless because a quick contest of 18 VS 10 is the same as a quick contest of 10 VS 2: No matter how many points of attack skill you sacrifice, you aren't changing the odds because the odds of a quick contest are determined by the skill spread and not the absolute values of the skills.

I think that having an unopposed roll for defense also increases the odds in favor of the defender a little bit to counter how easy it is for one character to just focus on increasing accuracy by raising weapon skill.

Additionally, there are a lot of scenarios where defending doesn't make sense at all (attacking someone who literally can't defend or who is completely unaware)

I think that the system as it is now is predicated on the way defenses already work, and there would be some far reaching unbalancing to change it to use quick contests... but if the system was built on using Quick Contests for fights, then probably the opposite would be true.
>>
Life giving bump
>>
I've been tinkering with a new Advantage:

Giant Slayer [???]
+1 to dodge to avoid melee attacks from enemies one size category higher than yours, +2 to dodge if the enemies size are two or more higher. You also get +1 to dodge large "slow" projectiles like hurled boulders.

Now, Questions: 1) This, or something like it, already exists, right? If so, where? 2) Would it need a different price for different size modifier character to not be completely broken?
>>
>>44227958
Higher Purpose (Slay Giants) [5/level]
Prerequisite: Any combat skill at 20+.
+1 on *All rolls* including dodges against Giants.

Higher Purpose (Slay Giants) (Dodge Only -30%) 2 [7]

This pre-supposes that a "Giant" is a single class of enemy, and doesn't mean "really big anything"

If you want another route for anything gigantic:
Enhanced Dodge [15/level]

Make it
Enhanced Dodge (SM+1 or higher only -20%) [12]
Enhanced Dodge (SM +2 or higher only -40%) [9]
For a total of 21 points
>>
>>44227958
1) I don't think there's a pre-made, but it's essentially Enhanced Dodge with Accessibility, so it's not that hard to make.
2) What races are allowed? If a PC can be SM-2 and take this, yeah that +2 to dodge against human-sized enemies might be a bit extreme if coupled with a shield. Why not make it objective instead of subjective? +1 Dodge vs. SM+1 creature and +2 Dodge vs. SM+2 creatures. While this would allow giants to more easily dodge giants, that isn't too insane; someone that specialized in fighting big creatures would learn stuff like how to exploit longer/slower swing arcs and environmental hazards, and that can be applied by a SM+1 Troll as well as it can an SM-1 Halfling.

I'm not entirely sure this is necessary, though. Relative differences in SM already give giants a penalty to hit smaller foes, if that's what you're looking for.
>>
>>44220096
Named Possession perk. Specific items gain character points at the same rate you do when doing supernatural/awesome deeds, and those points can either be put towards Gadget-limited advantages or converted to 25 energy for default-system enchantments. The perk is good for having heirloom swords or whatever, though as a campaign option you could give it to everyone for free so you could have innocuous magic items like some of the rings or weapons from Demons'/Dark Souls that were never made to be magic and just sort of ended up that way.

I'd still use the rules for traumatic enchantment, as they not only cover a different situation but have more concrete rules you can actually use.
>>
I'm here to make weird system questions again. Imagine this situation:

>two characters are talking
>one of them gets aimed by the laser sight of a sniper rifle
>the person being aimed at doesn't notice
>the person who's speaking with him does
>he immediately tries to tackle him out of the way, just in time when the sniper shoots

How is this solved? The person being aimed at doesn't notice the sniper so he shouldn't be allowed to dodge. The person shoving him isn't quite sure where the sniper is, so he shouldn't be able to determine a safe zone either: Just take him away from the laser sight.
>>
>>44229251
Dunno if this is the best idea, but if it were me, and someone noticed the laser sight from an aim, at this point, the game is in combat time; if in combat time talking is a free action, and the character can easily convey the important information. and do a slam/tackle whatever to take him out of sight.

In this scenario, if one were to run it like this, it would depend a lot on combat reflexes and turn order.

Probably not the most fun or cinematic way to resolve this though.
>>
>>44229251
Sacrificial dodge and drop is explicitly throwing yourself at someone else to take them out of the path of an attack. The rules are in Campaigns.

If you know an attack is coming but can't see the attacker, the standard penalty is -4 if I recall (I don't have my books) so that's what I'd assess. I would also call for a Surprise/ mental stun check to act /at all/, unless they're in the middle of a warzone and even then I would probably only give the player a bonus to the roll and not an automatic success.
>>
>>44229251
Two potential solutions:
1) Sacrificial Dodge & Drop (p. B377). On your turn, you take All-Out Defense (Dodge), and when the sniper fires, you roll instead of your unaware buddy. If you succeed, you're both prone and YOU take the hit; however, if you succeed by 3 or more, you both manage to avoid the shot.
2) Firing Through an Occupied Hex (p. B389) and Striking Into a Close Combat (p. B392). This one is less effective but it doesn't end up with both of you on the ground. By shoving your buddy, you've effectively initiated close combat. As per the rules, that means the sniper now has a -2 to hit your friend. Since you're now also sharing a hex with him, the sniper now has a -4 since the target's hex also counts as Occupied. That's a sum of -6 to the attack roll, though on a miss the sniper rolls vs. 9 to see if he accidentally hits you.
>>
>>44229696
>>44229867
>>44229905

Gotcha, thanks a lot guys!
>>
>New Pyramid centered on organizations.

Between this issue, Boardrooms & Curia, Back to School, and Guilds, I'm fucking loving the new focus SJG is putting on social structures and maneuvering them.
>>
>>44230493
I've bought Guilds and Back to School, haven't looked at Boardrooms and Curia yet because I heard that although it helps come up with objective measurements, it doesn't seem to have any mechanical meaning in game terms; I'll just make the size of towering untopplable organizations fluff until they have rules that make it meaningful.

In other news, last night in a Dungeon Fantasy game, the GM asked me to explain my cleric's religion to some Orcs we spared because we made it the condition of their surrender that we remove their old demon tattoos and replace it with a branding of my holy symbol, which I guess, in this setting, doesn't hurt orcs?

But anyways, I blanked, so I went full epic win nerd and started quoting scenes from Napoleon Dynamite describing my God as Pedro and ending with "and ever still he offers us his protection, amen."

One Orc wanted to become my disciple.
>>
>>44230863
B&C is good for gauging what and organization can or can't do based on factors beyond narrative. I like it a lot because of how it presents PCs setting up their own organizations in terms of funds, time, skill, etc.
>>
Why are gyrojet weapons so damn good, yet so damn inexpensive? Why is everyone not using these things?
>>
File: 1306672038538.jpg (36KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1306672038538.jpg
36KB, 200x200px
>>44217536
So, if I want to tackle someone to the ground, it's actually better to just be at a very low velocity and use the bonuses from sumo wrestling/brawling and/or all-out strong to down the opponent.
>>
New Pyramid
>>
File: captain america.jpg (516KB, 851x703px) Image search: [Google]
captain america.jpg
516KB, 851x703px
Would you say that's accurate?
>>
>>44232768

Much obliged!

>>44232915

I'd bump up his IQ a little bit, increase his Handsome to Very Handsome, maybe boost his healing and give him another Extra Attack.

But yeah, I'd say it's pretty accurate.
>>
>>44232999

Oh, and replace most of his combat skills with Wildcards.
>>
>>44232768
>Fucking basebuilding rules
Based Kromm.
>>
>>44233025
Wildcards?
>>
>>44232915

Is this the comic-book version?

Seems about right; he's fucking terrifying, but he is meant to be one of the best martial artists in a world full of hyper-competent masters. Should be able to knock-out three or four tough thugs per second in hand to hand.
>>
>>44233265
Skill categories instead of specific skills. Useful for characters that are competent across the board at certain activities. If you've played FATE or RISUS, they're not that dissimilar to aspects/stereotypes from those systems; if you have Blade! you're good with any sort of bladed weapon, Drive! means you can pilot anything, Crook! lets you do all sort of sneaky subterfuge stuff, Katana! lets you not only use the weapon but do weeaboo stuff too, etc. With cinematic heroes that are great at a lot of things, they're damn-near required; listing individual skills not only takes forever, there's a chance you'll lose some skills in the clutter. If you're making Sherlock Holmes, for example, it's infinitely faster and easier to give them Investigator!-22 instead of the cornucopia of skills it would require to accurately represent Holmes's broad talents.
>>
>>44217648
Here, just ran the first test combat. Things didn't go as planned! But they worked out alright.

Ries and the Baron started out 5 yards away from each other on a wide, dusty street on a post-apocalyptic earth. The Baron won initative due to her higher DX. She closed and used a cane-thrust with move and attack, which Ries dodged.

Ries started charging a Pain spell; The Baron tried to interrupt with a pressure-point canestrike to the face, but missed (note to self: buy targetted attacks). Pain went off, and Ries got to feel good about herself while the bunnygirl winced in pain.

The Baron then threw down a Fog spell radius 4 for cover, making it so Ries couldn't see her. Ries slipped out of the fog, while the Baron cast Walk on Air. When the Baron came out of the fog (moving up, in a plan to out-range Ries with barrages of lightning) Ries cast Tanglefoot. It didn't make it due to the range penalties, but a handy use of Luck turned that into a critical hit! 4 yards off the ground and tripping on air, The Baron's Walk on Air was dispelled. She did a breakfall, but the ground still knocked her for 3 HP and some scuffles. The next turn sees the Baron walk out of the fog, getting ready to just bombard Ries with Lightning from the ground; Ries however hits her with an Agonize, ending the fight. While the bunnygirl writhes on the ground in pain, she walks on off to go deal with other things-this was an interruption to a training exercise, and she needed to beat up other students to earn more points.

Thoughts
-Luck is really good! Not having it meant that the one save that really mattered (vs agonize) that was possible to make, The Baron didn't. It also let that Tanglefoot succeed, costing the Baron valuable actions and HP when she could have been spamming lightning at Ries.
-Wizard on Wizard spellfights can be pretty neat. That and martial arts is plenty of complexity for this game; I had been weighing introducing Last Gasp, but I don't think I will now.
>>
Hey i got a question, why does it seem like everyone somewhat hates GURPS?
>>
>>44233906
Because hating GURPS is a dank meme.

Other than that, it requires a substantial amount of research before you can actually start playing because unlike almost every other system on the market, the rules and options in GURPS aren't all meant to be used at once. Which means that you need to have at least a small amount of system mastery BEFORE you start running a game.
>>
>>44233906
Basically: GURPS is a game-engine that people tried to play like a completed game. This of course backfired. I think this is only the case for a few, most people only latch onto the hate without any experience, as with many things on the web.

Or people are seriously illiterate. I once saw a guy on /tg/ claim that "Silk can't be penetrated by an weapon ever by GURPS rules".
>>
>>44234361
>"Silk can't be penetrated by an weapon ever by GURPS rules".
>Silk armour has about DR 2
Huuuuuh?
>>
>>44234418
Like I said, illiterate. Wasn't there a guy in a earlier general whose friend claimed that you could default surgery from broadsword, or something like that? I don't know where else such gross misconceptions could come from other than broken-level literacy [-2].
>>
>>44234514
Yeah, there was someone saying you could default anything to just DX, IQ, PER, etc. I have no idea where he got that idea.
>>
>>44234514
Yeah, I was there for that. Whether or not it was just some guy fucking around or if it actually happened, who knows, but still.
>>
>>44232768
Awesome! Thank you!
>>
>>44233906
4+4chan has a thread right now about how GURPS is so autistic because it has Typing skill
>>
>>44239962
LOL WUT, in my linguague we even have a word for the skill of typing. Datilografia
>>
>>44240015
>linguague
sorry, language.
>>
>>44240015
The argument is that "Wow, who needs Typing skill in a game about dragons, it is so autistic, no one will ever use it".
>>
>>44240198
Ignoring the mystifying idea that they think GURPS is D&D, it's admittedly a pretty damn niche skill for adventuring types.
>>
File: CONSPIRACY.jpg (23KB, 219x300px) Image search: [Google]
CONSPIRACY.jpg
23KB, 219x300px
>>44240251
not really
>>
File: ESPIONAGE.jpg (86KB, 450x583px) Image search: [Google]
ESPIONAGE.jpg
86KB, 450x583px
>>44240251
Can't see why would it be
>>
>>44240251
They are mostly complaining that having a skill that only determines how many words per minute you can type is too autistic, and since the roleplaying is mostly about escapism, no one needs such routine skills in their games.
>>
File: ciperpunko.jpg (58KB, 450x581px) Image search: [Google]
ciperpunko.jpg
58KB, 450x581px
>>44240251
in some games it's like "i need this"
>>
>>44232768
Do you have 3-85 too? Just realised I missed it.
>>
>>44240319
>>44240335
>>44240362
The main thing is that the skill has favorable defaults to a lot of skills I'd expect an adventurer who is going to be behind a keyboard at any relevant point to have, and it doesn't seem like how fast you can type (versus deal with the more intellectually intense aspects of the aforementioned skills) would be that important in many of those situations. I'll admit to being inexperienced with such though.
>>
>>44240421
I have it, but it exceeds maximum size. Nonetheless, one of the MEGA archives has it.
>>
>>44239962
Jesus, and I thought we were bad.
>>
>>44240498
It has one guy who was constantly bitching about GURPS, even if it wasn't mentioned. Then he created a thread to shit on GURPS, fucked up with his arguments, got BTFO, and now he just bitches about GURPSfags being obnoxious rapists who don't take no for answer. Complaint about autistic typing wasn't made by him though, as he is too afraid to attack system now, and he joined a discussion later.
>>
>>44240453
it really has a lot of good defaults, and that makes the skill cheap for the potential. I'm a avid espionage player(i really love cinematic campaigns) and typing at almost superhuman speeds it's really utile even if you only need it one time, this can save your life for like 4 or 6 points.
>>
>>44240577
>avid
Active* it was my fucking autocorrect again.
>>
To be perfectly honest, I think we could easily do without the typing skill. Skill bloat is a real issue in GURPS and being a speed-typist seems more like a perk or technique in the new scheme of things than a real skill. At most it should be an option for the generic professional skill.

But pretty much every system has issues with it's skill list. Either it's missing stuff which seems important, it's got some things which aren't or some skills are more useful than others of similar cost.
>>
>>44240932
from the basic book typing skill quote.
"Typing skill is redundant" and "This skill defaults at -3 to any skill that involves a lot of typing"
you will only look this if you ever need to calculate how much time someone would need to write something.
Also ask your dad about typewriters and how much important was back in his day(maybe in your grandfather days) to be a fast typewriter user. it could be the difference between who is contracted, it is cleary a valid skill, not a perk.
>>
>>44240932
I mean, typing's really just an optional thing answering the question "how fast can you type?" It's pretty much never going to come up, most people are just going to use it at default from Computer Operations or something, and if, for whatever reason, it's important for a scene, then you take a quick look, go "oh, here's how long it takes you to type that message", and that's that.

I don't think you're supposed to actually be rolling typing, and I'm not sure where else you'd put the rule, unless you made a note on each skill that defaults to it or something.
>>
>>44240610
avid works just fine too; in this situation they're nearly synonyms.

est-ce qu'anon est francais? how'd y'all find GURPS? thought it was pretty much just a US/Brazil/Japan thing.
>>
>>44241092
>Also ask your dad about typewriters and how much important was back in his day(maybe in your grandfather days) to be a fast typewriter user. it could be the difference between who is contracted, it is cleary a valid skill, not a perk.

agreed. I could see Typing being subsumed into Computer Use at the TL7-8 gap.
>>
>>44241807
Still cracks me up that on the forum 7-8 years ago they said the next version of GURPS would not need Computer Operation as a skill.

Because everybody at late TL8 can use a computer just fine and people whose job it is to use computers well or make them work will be obsolete within 5-10 years.
>>
I'm trying to create a changling-esque type with an extending proboscis of sort to drain the health out of the target. How could i build this ability? Could Vampric Bite be applied as a Follow-Up to a melee attack?
>>
>>44242508
Just take the Sharp Beak version of Vampiric Bite? That seems a reasonable approximation of a proboscis. Elsewise look at Leech in Powers.
>>
>>44203480
Get the players involved in world creation. Ask them what kind of setting they think would be cool.
>>
>>44243019

What was really successful in the one campaign I've run was to present several settings/games that I wanted to run, then let the players choose one from them. If they're invested in something from the start because they chose it, rather than you saying "we're going to play this thing", it's easier to get them interested in the details.
>>
>>44241790
Sweden here, I got into it from my older brothers, they got me the basic set for Christmas the same year I got into my first regular roleplaying group. No idea how their group got started with it in the first place.
>>
Is Biophysics a Biology or a Physics specialty?
>>
>>44243836

I don't know how GURPS casts it but biophysics is firmly within the realm of physics. You cross-train into biology for it. If there are defaults from Biology/Physician for it, they should be really really harsh.
>>
Further NPCs from the Animoo Fightan infinite worlds game. As Rieserathera's player updates her sheet before the game officially starts, she's taken 3 75% Minions, this is the first I got done, the most combat-oriented of them.

She's got kind of poor defences against magic, and she really should have a targeted attack of some sort-but her ability to utterly wreck someone once she gets her hands around them is nice, so I think I'll keep her the way she is. Kinda fudged points a bit.

Also, fun fact: in default gurps pain provides a penalty to lecherousness self-control rolls. Had to houserule that out, then back in for this one.

She's going to be quite a handy NPC, Rieserathera's player can direct all the S&M bullshit they want to at her instead of at a PC.One of the other interested players is going for being that shounen fightmans transfer student who hates the student council, and an unarmed fighter; Irene here will be an early opponent for her.
>>
>>44243836

It's the physics of biological systems. So it's a specialised branch of physics that is greatly helped by biological skill, but does not technically require much of it.
>>
>>44244374
Oh, hm. Super-Effort ST isn't particularly worth it with only 4 ranks, so I think I'll work her with just ordinary ST up to 26, then spend the other points on rounding out her skills (survivalism, social stuff, resisting dickbag mages)
>>
>>44244629

You could check out the Logarithmic Strength article from one of the later Alternate GURPS issues. It works better for... well, everything where strength is meant to be something you can have a lot of.
>>
>>44244374
Shit like this is why they need to mandate the ST-to-Body Height/Weight ratios.
>>
I want to focus my qi into a self-healing trance.

I imagine this would be a modified Regeneration, though open to other options, I'm not sure what modifiers though. I believe there is a "requires concentration" I believe, but it there a greater level that would render me "asleep" in this regenerative trance?

Trying to knock down the cost as much as possible.
>>
>>44245323
Some higher-level version of nuisance effect, or perhaps a side-effect of unconsciousness.
>>
>>44245323
Looking at Accesibility, I find:

"You can also link situational
Accessibility to your actions. The
more unusual, difficult, or obnoxious
the required action is, the greater the
limitation value. Some examples:
Only in altered body form
(Invisible, Insubstantial, etc.): -10%.
Only while playing trumpet: -20%.
Only while flying, Only while
swimming, Only in hypnotic trance:
-30%.
Only by one side of split personality:
-40%."

The Hypnotic trance thing sounds similar enough to what you want, so it's a good start. Idealy, I guess it should also require a successful Meditation skill roll to work, but I can't find a limitation for that, but Unreliable is close.
>>
>>44245407
Heh, it's funny how the answers are often a simple search away, but if you miss the right word, does no good.

Thanks!
>>
>>44245323
Also, isn't there a tiny, catch-all limitation for qi-based powers? Representing how they can be disrupted by things that specifically fucks with qi. I'm fairly certain I've seen such modifiers for magic and psionics, but now I can't find them.
>>
>>44245497
The usual modifier for such things is -10%. Works with magic, superpowers, everything.
>>
What if I wanted to pay FP for each HP healed? The standard Costs Fatigue suggests it cost X FP per minute, making it insane for the 25pt Regeneration.

Really though the -5% per FP per HP seems like a reasonable price.

So -30% Accessibility, -30% takes 10 min to start up, -10% chi, -10% for 2 FP/HP = -80%, seems right?

HOWEVER 5pt should be paid for "off the top" before the limitations due to the Rapid Healing part working normally.
>>
>>44242142
>everybody at late TL8 can use a computer just fine and people whose job it is to use computers well or make them work will be obsolete within 5-10 years.
do you really believe in what you are saying?
>>
>>44246136
Did you even read my post?

The people on the FORUM said that eight years ago.
>>
>>44241807
>"This skill defaults at -3 to any skill that involves a lot of typing"
lets say that you have professional levels of computer operation, 12, maybe 13, that is 50 words per minute, now remember that its a easy skill and most people who spend much time using it would naturally have, let's say, +1, maybe +2 from training, so, 12/13 for 2 points.

Now believe in what i'm talking, lots, and i really mean lots of people can't get over 30 words per minute in most parts of the world, especially if you live out of the first world(where the majority of peoples live)
>>
>>44246236

The vast majority of people who use computers are defaulting but doing very mundane or easy tasks with no risk of failure that get +5 or more to the roll.
>>
>>44246167
not that anon but 132 years ago and we still used torches and shit, 51 years later, 81 years ago we got in space, 70 years ago died the last state leader who declared himself as caesar, 35 years ago and none could imagine a personal computer, today in one year my watch uses more energy than all the history before 1880, we don't know shit about the future and neither did people from 8 years ago.
>>
>>44246375
with >most people who spend much time using it
i mean like someone who browse and write on /tg/ all day long
>>
>>44246470
Yes, that's what we've been saying. Glad you finally caught up.
>>
>>44246470
>my watch uses more energy than all the history before 1880

No it doesn't. They had steamships before 1880. Hell even a Mesopotamian temple slave grinding wheat on a hand mill uses enough energy in a year to run your watch many times over.
>>
>>44246745
do you realise that it's a metaphor? and that "energy" refers to electrical energy? don't be a moron.
>>
>>44246955
Its a poorly thought out metaphor, don't make incorrect/unclear statements then get offended when you get called out.

The point remains that the idea the people on the forum had was self evidently absurd and is funny in hindsight.
>>
>>44244374
Have you made your characters in GCA? If so, can you link your character sheet files Please?
>>
>>44248677
It isn't GCA, it's http://gurpscharactersheet.com/
>>
File: 1391388546314.jpg (141KB, 900x1337px) Image search: [Google]
1391388546314.jpg
141KB, 900x1337px
Star Wars is a funny setting, you have TL9 hardsuits but TL11 guns.
>>
>>44251757
That's because Star Wars was originally just a samurai movie in space. There's almost no logic involved in any part of the setting, it's just "hey, X would be cool".
>>
>>44251927
I was referring specifically to the effectiveness of weapons vs armour.

Nothing illogical about it, just interesting.
>>
Bump of life.
>>
File: 1294879540832.jpg (877KB, 1700x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1294879540832.jpg
877KB, 1700x1400px
Trying to get a handle on what good points distribution is for intended character types.
Is there a list somewhere of "If you're trying to make X power-level character in Y-type of setting, use Z Points/Max-Dis.?
I'm currently using 100/-25 for basic "protagonists," with 125/-25 for gifted people, and 150/-50 for veterans.
As I understand it 100pts is the threshold form 'normal' to 'heroic.'
>>
So I just ordered the GRUPS 4th edition basic books. Only played DnD 5e before.

What are the other books that you would recommend because they are useful or interesting?
I am open for all settings and I'm especially interested in space and pirate settings.
>>
>>44257729
How To Be A GURPS GM.
Seriously, read it. It will save you so much heartache.
>>
>>44257729
Thamathurgy is pretty basic, but it's magical.

There is a whole series of books on Space though, for 4th E. 3E has a pirate splat.

GURPS is a touch lacking in settings, woe and alas.
>>
>>44257729
Get the PDFs, have a skim and pick which ones interest you, but if you like space settings, Space, Spaceships and Ultra-Tech are your go-to books.
>>
File: Buses.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Buses.pdf
1B, 486x500px
More vehicles. These were a real pain to research; I had to restrict myself to vehicles which I could find weight for and a lot of the stats were calculated with the old vehicles system because I couldn't find prices or speed estimates.
>>
>>44257729
Dungeon Fantasy, hands down. New players may feel that character generation is too complex, but DF provides some great templates, and lots of other useful information.

Other interesting books include Martial Arts, various -Tech books, Magic or Thaumatology, but you don't need them until you get a good grasp on the system. I recommend you to stick to Basic Set first. Dungeon Fantasy and How To Be A GURPS GM are only exceptions, because they are so damn useful for beginners.
>>
File: bD4PCZ4C5R-800x600.jpg (345KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
bD4PCZ4C5R-800x600.jpg
345KB, 800x533px
>>44259322
No midibuses? I think they would be more practical for groups running on smaller budgets.
>>
For the anon who posted his blog a while ago – it's been very useful and interesting, quick sneaking, combination attacks, etc. You should definitely post it on the official forums (so it would be included in the stickied blog compilation), if you haven't already.
>>
I just finished a Mirror of the Fire Demon campaign. I am usually the GM, but a player wanted to GM so I could play.

After we found the mirror, and we destroyed it (my character was a cleric intolerant of demons) we basically won... no one died, though we had a few close calls.

Before we left the ending area, another player hit a trap on purpose as a joke (I guess?) because he had overconfidence. This was right before the final room where we just killed the boss. I announced I am tucking and dodging with my child disciple to protect the child into the room we just came out of.

The GM responds, "the trap triggers a ceiling collapse in the boss room."

Myself and another player (my irl brother) flipped. Why the hell did the trap in front of the boss room trigger an automatic roof collapse in the room?

The GM got mad and pouty and said "Sometimes people die in games. It's realistic, get over it!"

I'm mad as hell still. This is literally "Rocks Fall [two specific people] die." Is this anywhere near an ok thing to do? I know GURPS general isn't my blog, but I am just seething right now, fellow GURPS friends.
>>
File: Buses.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Buses.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>44259761
Just for you, Anon.
>>
>>44261061
That is pretty fucking stupid and the GM is either malicious or not very smart. Automatic death traps are never very fun.

More to the point, if it was triggered before you went in it would flatten the boss... so why was it installed in the first place.
>>
>>44261061
well, adt's are ok, but this is stupid, this adt doesn't make sense
>>
>>44261061
Your GM is stupid.
Go call him a stupid fuck to his face and steal his women.
>>
>>44201149
>Let's actually make something edition.
>Ctrl-F "Asparagus".
>0 results.
GURPS Asparagus v3 when, /gurpsgen/?
>>
>>44257255

Yeah, I'd say that's about right - I think How to be a GURPS GM has some more on it.

It does vary though, if you set out "required basic skills" or restrict the number of points you can spend in certain areas, then the actual final powerlevel might lower - say you don't allow skills or stats over 14 (for whatever reason), then you'd get more versatile but less directly powerful characters.

Personally, I find it makes it a bit easier to gauge power level by partitioning the points up a bit - e.g. 50 Skill, 50 Ability, 50 Stat, 50 Free Choice, -50 disadvantages - but then I tweak that a bit depending on the game and am fairly flexible about it.

There's a few Pyramid articles about alternative point distributions you may like.
>>
File: nJhmWO1.jpg (151KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nJhmWO1.jpg
151KB, 1024x768px
Houserules from the Animoo IW game mentioned previously in this thread (wrestle girl, baron, rieserathera, etc). Still under development, but I wouldn't mind hearing thoughts.

>Pain no longer provides a penalty to self-control rolls for lecherousness. Unless you want it to, in which case it’s a quirk.
>Parry Missile Weapons should be a Hard Technique at a default of -4 for any melee skill, may not exceed base parry. Requires Combat Reflexes or Danger Sense; halve the penalties for someone with Trained By a Master/ appropriate Weapon Master specializations. (-2 becomes the starting point)
>Bullet Parry is a Hard Technique that defaults to Parry Missile Weapons -5. It may not exceed Parry Missile Weapons. Again, Halve the penalty for Trained By A Master/ Weapon Master in the appropriate weapon (-3 is the starting point). Danger Sense, ETS, or some form of precognition is still required, though.
>Physical Magic Resistance and Mental Magic Resistance are things, and the preferred way of resisting magic. You can’t buy immunity. (see the “Resistant” advantage, magic counts as Very Common.)
>If you can fight people with guns you will fight people with guns. Otherwise, you will not (except very rarely)

I have no desire to be fair to gun-users, the dirty sluts.

Not sure yet if I should allow extra effort in combat, but I think the actions-boosting version should be restricted so as not to be unfair to the wizards of the world.
>>
>>44263683
Unless you're busting out Last Gasp rules, throwing energy draining enemies at your players, or putting them in survival situations (hunger, extreme cold, etc.), FP does basically nothing for martial fighters outside of specific cinematic skills. Extra Effort should be fine, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by action-boosting versions; I'm assuming you mean the basic EE options that boost the efficacy of certain actions.
>>
File: Wizard_Circle.png (522KB, 684x674px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard_Circle.png
522KB, 684x674px
Which magic system is better when you want to run a game where everyone is a warrior/wizard magic knight? I'm talking more about buffing and inflicting damage than utility spells.
>>
>>44264452
Isn't there one that lets you take more than one action a second? If there is, that one would be the problem. I'll consult MA again after I run some errands, see what fits best.
>>
>>44264482
go for the best option, tailormake a system to what you wanna run. I'm pretty sure that or magic do have sections to teach you how to do that
>>
>>44264482
I'm going for Standard + Imbuements + Powers, with Magery as the power talent.
>>
>>44264837
I agree with this, specifically powers.
>>
Made some adjustements here and there, what do you guys think?
>>
Can someone tl;dr how Ultra-Tech cybernetics work? Why do they have a point value listed? Is that just for character generation?
>>
Speaking of projects - how about making a Mordheim-like wargame based on GURPS? My group toyed around with that concept, but nothing came out of it.
>>
>>44264837
>Magery as the power talent
Is there rules for pricing that?
>>
>>44265658
Just price it as normal, the power modifier is -10%.
>>
>>44265059
I only play low tech levels usually, but I think a lot of game changing/advantage giving artifacts/enhancements treasures have point values with the option of making the item "signature gear" or "gadgets" for that point cost.

It's up to a GM if they ignore it, or make it optional. If it is ignored, it's worried that players can amass game changing abilities too easily, so a GM needs to control it by being more judicious in what he or she feels is appropriate.

If it is made optional, the point cost is usually a promise that the GM won't fuck with it *too much* whereas someone who spends only money is "fair game" for random outages or thievery.
>>
>>44265059
Because they provide advantages and are integral to the characters body.

But if you want them in play you have to pay money for them and take the surgery risks unless the GM gives them to you via plot.
>>
>>44264482
I'm a fan of symbol magic because of how easy it is to combine with weapons; scrawl a single-use rune on your sword and the next person hit by it suffers the effects. A witch-hunter in my last game used this to great effect by slamming targets with Magic Resistance. Also, symbol magic's slow casting time means there's a definite divide between wizarding time and warrioring time; it's unlikely you'll always have the right spells prepared as parchments, so once combat actually starts you can't 100% always rely on magic to bail your ass out and you need to be able to swing your sword.
>>
Anyone have a link to download gcs?
>>
>>44269220
http://gurpscharactersheet.com/ There you go
>>
Does GCS work with android tablets?
>>
>>44260068
Thanks for the encouragement. I have posted it there. Trying to commit to a *minimum* of an article a day... even if it is something short.
>>
What's the coolest single advantage, out of the box with no modifiers?
>>
>>44272852
ETS. It's the easiest way to go fast, bar none.
>>
>>44272852
Either ATR or ETS. Going fast is rad as hell, and ATR lets you go all out attack and then all-out-defence right in a row.
>>
Anyone got a link to: How to be a GURPS GM?
>>
>>44273661
It's in the Mega in the pdf in the OP under GURPS 4th Edition > Play Aids.
>>
File: Irene Shinamono.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Irene Shinamono.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Finalized version of Irene for anime IW. Repeated exposures to Reis's pain magic in "private meetings" has given her some resistance to such magics. Fortunately for her private enjoyments, you can voluntarily fail resistance rolls.

I think she'll be neat. The way such things will work out, Reis's player will probably get one ally to accompany her into most dangerous situations; Irene is good at wrecking faces.
>>
File: Mari Goldstein.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Mari Goldstein.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>44273879
And the next executive council member, Mari. Her focus is on out-of combat team support.

I kind of worry that she's a bit too crazy with the healing magics, but fixing everyone up to full health after each fight is pretty in-genre. Not entirely sure how the regeneration works with ER, but I think it'd let her regen 1 EP a minute.
>>
>>44203622
On that note, I've been wondering. How hard would it be to conver the GURPS Mecha book into 4e?
>>
File: butthatsnoneofmybusiness.jpg (39KB, 562x692px) Image search: [Google]
butthatsnoneofmybusiness.jpg
39KB, 562x692px
>>44230863

I must sadly agree. I love the new books, because worldbuilding and giving hard stats to organizations is cool. It lets me know exactly how powerful they are, and forces me to work within their resources instead of just fudging things.

That said, I could just do that on my own. I don't need a book to tell me.

Which is problem with these books, I suppose. The very people who like them are the people who would find the least use for them, while the people who could really use these books probably don't think they're very useful, and wouldn't buy them.
>>
>>44211641
i get the same problem when i try to upload pdfs who do have logical inputs, just upload it somewhere else and give us a link, but remember that fatguys are your brothers, don't be a cunt and fuckup the file with coinminers.
>>
What are some good ways to defeat an armored and armed person if you're an unarmored and unarmed martial artist? I'm looking for just about any approach that a DF martial artist could utilize from the get go.
>>
>>44279692
without magic? running.
welcome to a place where armour means something.
>>
>>44279692
Pray.

Then Wait for him to attack. Disarm. Then sweep (or arm lock then judo throw).
>>
>>44279692
If you have Judo then parrying his attacks to get a quick takedown is a good idea.
>>
>>44279692
If you have good ST, go into close combat and grapple him. You will deny the use of shield, you will prevent him from using weapon - many weapons lack reach C, so he will either have to pummel you with a pommel, or waste time switching into reverse grip.

Nonetheless, you are fighting an uphill battle. Your most important mission is to take away his weapon. Still, running is a better option.
>>
>>44279711
I have Chi powers to choose from, at the least.
>>44279797
Can't he auto damage my limb if I try to disarm and he parries it?
>>44280609
Same as the above question, or is Judo throw not an attack like that?
>>44280681
Does that mean he can't use his weapon to parry as well? Then Ill just need a way to avoid Move and Attack. Probably have to bait the enemy into attacking first.

It would be better to use a staff or other weapon instead of fists, right? But I'm still working on how to beat their armor. Not really skilled enough to target chinks in armorz
>>
>>44280833

>On the turn immediately after a successful Judo parry, you may attempt to throw your attacker if he is within one yard. This counts as an attack; roll vs. Judo skill to hit. (Note that in an All-Out Attack, you cannot attempt two throws, but you can make one attempt at +4.) Your foe may use any active defense – he can parry your hand with a weapon! If his defense fails, you throw him.
>When you throw a foe, he falls where you please. On a battle map, he lands in any two hexes near you. One of these hexes must be his starting hex, your hex, or any hex adjacent to one of those hexes. Your victim must roll against HT; a failed roll means he is stunned! If you throw him into someone else, that person must roll against the higher of ST+3 or DX+3 to avoid being knocked down.

Welp, I don't have an answer if it auto damages or not.
>>
>>44280884
It doesn't. But MA has rules for throwing enemies for thr-1 damage - it's just -1 penalty plus any hit locations penalties.
>>
>>44280905
Still, if you're fighting unarmed against a bipedal personification of a tank, then if you're in a pickle, it's a good idea to throw him on the ground after successful parry and then run.
>>
File: 63EuDCU[1].png (122KB, 1054x701px) Image search: [Google]
63EuDCU[1].png
122KB, 1054x701px
>>44277375
Well, after reading >>44230910 I see I stand corrected. However, I am a buy friend, and I try to buy the things I find useful before using it. It does sound like I prejudged it a bit but it is still down my priority list a bit. I do sometimes look at a book using the archive ahead of time, but I play by the rule of I don't use the information from the book in a real campaign unless I buy it.

Pic related is all the PDFS I have literally bought (though a handful are free pdfs)
>>
I wrote a really long article on converting Ritual Path Magic to a vancian-like system. Does anyone have any opinions on it? I'm mostly interested in my math in calculating the cost of two brand new advantages, but if it's great or it sucks, I wouldn't mind any other feedback.

http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2015/12/ritual-path-magic-vancian-style-casting.html
>>
>>44282670
My gut reaction is that Modular Abilities (Super-Memorization) would be the best basis for a vancian approach, but I'll have to read over your article to give an actual response.
>>
>>44282701
You know what? That is such a simple idea, I kinda feel ashamed I didn't think of that first. I think the advantage of this system is that starting with RPM means that the idea of charges is built in right from the foundation, and it allows a lot of flexibility, but the modular abilities approach would have no-nuisance built in from the ground up which is the problem I tried to tackle with the two advantages I tried to invent.
>>
An obvious and shitty question for which you will hate me, but nevertheless, please help me, o mighty rulemancers.
Can i create a murdercyborg of death and ruination by spending all of my points on Wealth, getting a FUCKING SHITTON of cash and then spending it on bionics and implants and cyborg conversions and weapons?
>>
>>44282808
Depends on if your GM allows it.
The answer can be an unequivocal yes; a "yes, but"; or no.
The "yes, but" is that if you don't spend points on signature gear/allies for the robot(s) you build, some GMs play that they have more license to fuck that shit up.
The "no" is some GMs won't let you do something like that without spending character points.
>>
>>44282808
This will give a supreme opportunity for GM to fuck with you. Such surgeries take lots of time, and GM will simply rule that adventure will begin without your character.
>>
>>44282808
If I was your GM, I'd tell you to go stuff a prosthetic dick up your ass.

Unless it was a murdercyborg game.
>>
4E
VEHICLES
WHEN
>>
>>44285042
LATE 2015.
>>
>>44285132
20/12/2015
looks like is comming at 31/12
>>
i want people getting sucked into the warp like when playing warhammer fantasy battles, how do i do this without being so frequent that it is annoying?
>>
File: f57.jpg (8KB, 261x216px) Image search: [Google]
f57.jpg
8KB, 261x216px
>>44285848
Threshold-Limited Magic from Thaumatology, maybe. When you go over the threshold (which any wizard can do) things get PERILS OF THE WAAAAARP.

I mean, I think you mean "if there's magic going on the warp might mess people up"
>>
File: Warp.jpg (182KB, 964x849px) Image search: [Google]
Warp.jpg
182KB, 964x849px
>>44285876
i literally mean "i want someone to be sucked into the warp"
but i don't want to be a asshole, ya know, whfb lore is cool.
>>
>>44286654
Throw it somewhere high up in the calamity table, then, so it happens occasionally when wizards push their luck and grasp for more power than they can handle.
>>
>>44286654
>miscast table

Yeah that's threshold limited magery, alright. While it's not specifically on the Calamity table, some of the higher levels include stuff like that. Tweak it a bit to make things fit, maybe having things like its "mana scar" results get there.
>>
File: 1447985885389.png (281KB, 901x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1447985885389.png
281KB, 901x1076px
>>44278684
it's probably the drop-downs I have for languages
>>
Speaking of warp; how do you model a typical MMORPG Thief-like ability – quickly 'teleporting' behind enemy's back and making an attack (and then, maybe, teleporting back instantly)? Warp with 'only on Attack' limitation, or something fancier?
>>
>>44293477
That's just a fancy Innate attack that somehow ends up as a runaround attack; it leaves you back where you started.
>>
>>44293477
try something like warp with "only attacking" and if it rolls a critical fail he gets pulled by a giant demonic hand and everybody at 2 yards or less from him gets 10d6 impossible to heal mutation damage
>>
>>44201149
oh, this is not the mega link i was used to know, looks like it have less things, do someone have the older link? from that other guy who creates the general
>>
>>44293608
What if it does't teleport you back?
>>
>>44293477
Are we looking at the warp as an actual mechanical part of the ability or simple an abstraction due to the game's limited resources?

If it is, I think some version of ST-based melee innate attack would work; you would need to slap on the Surprise Attack (p. P104) enhancement for +150%. Actually paying points for the ability to warp would be a huge waste unless the character could actually warp outside of the one no-range attack.

If the warping is simply an abstraction and we can instead work on representing what the MMO was trying to represent, I'd say that's looking at the Evade technique (p. MA71), possibly with Technique Mastery (p. MA52); the thief is really good as moving past people. The attack itself would be a standard attack, but since the attack is a runaround attack (p. B391), the target defends at -2. The thief could exploit this; a Telegraphic attack to the vitals would give the thief a net +1 to attack and have the target defend normally. This's if the thief is untrained in Targeted Attack techniques (p. MA68); a "thief" trained for combat could buy off half the penalty for, say the Throat, Skull, or even Eye and combine it with the above for a very very deadly attack.
>>
>>44294423

The OP link should have everything, at least for Fourth Edition. It might look smaller because it doesn't have a separate folder for 'series' which only have one book, but it's more complete.

Anyway, here's the other one:
https://mega.nz/#F!RcJUHApY!uVGhU1FAZaWQAURsfrOgyQ!8cgQgBpL
>>
How much should empty magazines for ultra-tech conventional firearms cost? It'd be nice to have things to keep extra bullets in.
>>
>>44298121

Easiest way to work it out is see how much the full magazine weighs, then find out how much that many rounds weigh, then find the difference.

E.g. the medium pistol uses 7.5mmCLP rounds and a full magazine holds 30 rounds and weighs 0.5lbs. The 7.5mmCLP rounds weigh 0.006lbs each, so 30 of them weigh 0.18lbs. So the empty mag weighs 0.5-0.18 = 0.32lbs
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
>>44299008
I just tell it that to get it into bed.
>>
>>44299695
I love Anon!
>>
>>44202390
Please someone spec the Reliant Robin. Best car ever.
>>
Show of hands: who'd be interested in an online game of GURPS in a homebrew TL4 setting?

The setting's of my own design, but I'm not going to shove the lore down anyone's throats. The only thing you'd need to know is that this is a world where intelligent dragons have ruled over humans since the dawn of man, and only after a long period of strife have independent, human-run states started to form.

The focus will of course be the adventure. The players will start the game as travelers, fleeing from the countryside due to a great war between human armies and a dragon bent on conquest. The journey will be perilous, but your very survival will be at stake.

This is just a check of interest. I apologize if this isn't the proper place to put this, but I didn't want to advertise on roll20 or something without knowing if anyone would even want something like this.
>>
>>44302548
Sounds good.
How cinematic/realistic? Mana level?

I doubt I could actually be on at the right times to play, but it still sounds interesting.
>>
>>44298303
That's weight, not cost.
>>
>>44304074
Found it in Pyramid 3-55, pg 32. Multiply weight per shot by 5x mag capacity, then add $30 for a box mag or $300 for a drum.
>>
>>44304497
Ah, thanks.
>>
>>44304074

Derp, I swear I read weight.
>>
>>44303285

Very much realistic. The setting is a look at humanity through a different set of cultural circumstances. I made sure to consider how what we think of as a dragon could be theoretically possible, and detailed their physiology as such. They have their own psychology, culture, social mores, rate of physical/mental development, birth rates, etc.

As you might guess, there is no magic in the this world. There aren't even many beasts of burden, to give you an idea of how tough it is for the people of this world.

As the players would simply be travelers in a train of refugees seeking to flee a conflict, the point level would be at 100, with up to 50 points in disads. This, I believe, would let you be exceptional at a certain skill or two, or let you have above-average attributes, without making you obviously legendary heroes. It's more fun when the players aren't already legendary heroes, imo.
>>
File: meiji-restoration-hero-H.jpg (673KB, 1389x454px) Image search: [Google]
meiji-restoration-hero-H.jpg
673KB, 1389x454px
Hi,

Does GURPS Japan cover the Meiji restoration? If not, what books could I look into if I were to set a story at the dusk of the samurai culture?
>>
>>44305540
Don't bother with 3e historical supplements, they suck ass. At least China and Яussia did.
>>
>>44305924
Japan kinda sucks too, IIRC.
Greece has merely been made outdated here and there by finds made after the book was published.
>>
>>44305540
GURPS: Japan goes up to the Late Tokugawa era, which covers the beginning of the Meiji restoration, so it should work to some degree.

However, it's worth noting that this book was published in 1999; both the information available and cultural attitudes have changed significantly since then; while the book was fine when it was initially published, a modern day reading of it has it giving off Theme Park Asia vibes. Use at your discretion.

At the same time, if you're knowledgable about the Meiji Restoration era and dead set on playing a game in that setting, you don't really need a whole up-to-date historical setting splat. 4e's Martial Arts should have the combat styles, Basic Set/Low Tech should have the prices for everything, and you can supply the background knowledge with a copy of Meiji Restoration for Dummies.
>>
Does someone have Pyramid #84? It's the only one I don't have.
Also am willing to post other issues if someone want it.
>>
>>44305924
Really? I've heard praise for GURPS: Russia, though that might have been because it was just something different; 99% of set-in-Russia game supplements focus almost exclusively on post-revolution USSR stuff, and GURPS's splat totally excluded that in favor of pre-revolution setting with czars and the like.
>>
>>44306047
Eh, it's better than most Western stuff about Russia, but that's like being a smartest kid in a short bus. Historical parts are full of factual errors, mythology parts focus too much on grimdark aspects, and it really focuses on running a campaign in typical dark Theme Park Яussia that mostly consists of vodka, winter and evil bearded men. I just don't get a genuine Russian feeling from it, and it certainly doesn't leaves an option of running light-hearted campaign set in Russia.
>>
>>44306044

Check the MEGA archive in the OP.
>>
>>44305924
Would you elaborate?
>>
>>44299808

Dear God, it turns out they were still building those things up to 2002.

Love this description of it from wikipedia: 'the second most popular fibreglass car in history'.

Would it be driven with Drive (Automobile) or Drive (Motorcycle) though? It looks like a car, but most people seem to say it handles more like a bike (or possibly a bathtub).
>>
Suppose I wanted to stick a bayonet on a matchlock musket. Matchlocks are heavier than flintlocks, which makes wielding it as a spear tiresome. Would this be simply accounted for in the strength needed to use the weapon, or should an edit be made to the amount of damage it does?
>>
>>44307524
China tried to cram entirety of Chinese history (yes, including XX century) into a single book. Writers of Яussia tried to make a detailed splatbook on pre-Romanov Russia, but ended up with typical Theme Park Russia instead.

>>44307616
If I recall correctly, bayonets weren't popular on matchlock muskets precisely because of their weight (and because they were mostly used in pike-and-shot formation, except for Russia, where musketeers almost always fought from inside the fortifications and trenches). I would personally rule that musket that has R in ST will use stats for glaive, but will only have reach 2 and no swinging attack.
>>
File: Russian Tumblr.png (4KB, 479x166px) Image search: [Google]
Russian Tumblr.png
4KB, 479x166px
>>44306341
>vodka, winter and evil bearded men
But if you take that off, what remains of Russia?
>>
>>44307803
Bears, duh.
>>
File: Russian Logic.jpg (43KB, 398x604px) Image search: [Google]
Russian Logic.jpg
43KB, 398x604px
>>44307884
>DID SOMEONE SAID BEARS??
>>
Is there something wrong with optimized fusion engines in Vehicles?
It looks like there's never any reason to use them over regular fusion engines. With the mass they get to, it's always lighter, cheaper and faster to put on a regular engine, even with the heavier fuel.
>>
>>44310220
Never looked at Vehicles, but from your description I'd say the optimized engine would be more useful on long-distance journeys where the vehicle would need to carry extra fuel as cargo.

If (difference in weight per unit of fuel) * (units of fuel) > (difference in weight of engine), an optimized engine would be the better option.
>>
File: KtLKzSX.gif (2MB, 450x233px) Image search: [Google]
KtLKzSX.gif
2MB, 450x233px
>>44307735

<rant>

The rules say you treat swinging a musket like a maul at -1 damage, and with the reach being however long the musket is (so 1, rarely 2). For bayonets, you basically treat it as a spear, only using the bayonet's damage and the reach being however long the gun is (again, 1 or 2).

You are correct, matchlocks did not have bayonets due to their weight. It was also because the .80 calibre ones needed to be mounted on a rest, while calivers and arquebus often didn't have standardized sizes or designs, which made even something like plugging a knife into the gun ineffective.

But, thanks to the power of hindsight, it seems silly that such a simple yet critical advancement in early modern warfare took so long to put to effective use. We spent the 16th, 17th, and first one or two decades of the 18th century mucking around with Pike and Shot before someone realized they could double or even triple their firepower by combining pikes and muskets into one weapon. . . something that could have been easily done at any time during the era.

At the end of the day, a bayonet is a sharp piece of metal attached to a gun. You'd think humanity had already mastered the art of attaching pointy objects onto bits of wood to make weapons, but apparently the early modern mindset had problems with this concept.

If there isn't a solid reason, beyond weight and standardization, why matchlock muskets shouldn't have bayonets, I don't see a reason not to have them on there.

Beyond real-world arguments, it's also impractical mechanically. It wouldn't be difficult or costly for a player to make a character that could be strong enough to wield a musket without a rest. And if the PC's strong enough to shoot the musket without a rest, what's to stop them from affixing a bayonet to the bottom of the barrel? Certainly not weight. Even if the gun wasn't designed for it, a short trip to a black/gun smith could fix that.

</rant>
>>
>>44311012

Accidentally posted the wrong gif, but it looks like it works anyway, so lets roll with it.
>>
Let's say I want a martial artist character to have a special kick that requires FP to use and temporarily gives the target a disadvantage in addition to doing damage. Would the best way to represent that be an Affliction with the Melee Attack and Costs Fatigue limitations, or an innate attack, or something else?
>>
>>44311503
maybe one of the Imbuements? Stupefying or Crippling blow will do disadvantages.
>>
>>44311503
Affliction with Costs Fatigue, but add on Follow-Up (Natural Attack) +0% as well. You can punch/kick normally, but you can also burn FP to channel energy into a disabling chi-powered kick.
>>
>>44311789
You could also do Striker (Limb, Leg, -20%) with the Side Effect enhancement; this has the added benefit of making the extra effect harder to resist if you land a solid blow (e.g. roll high on damage).
>>
>>44311503
just do a strong kick in the groin, motherfucking -8 next turn from shock
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.