[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's some /tg/ approved vidya?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 299
Thread images: 39

File: 1449720051160.jpg (111KB, 540x426px) Image search: [Google]
1449720051160.jpg
111KB, 540x426px
What's some /tg/ approved vidya?
>>
>>44199760
In general, /tg/ has terrible taste in games. I would not play anything they recommend.
>>
Planescape: Torment
Dawn of War
Dwarf Fortress
Heroes of Might and Magic
Mount and Blade
XCOM
Dungeon Keeper
Neverwinter Nights
Deus Ex
KotOR
Dark Souls
Blood Bowl

You get the general idea...
>>
>>44199985
Is that Neverwinter Nights 1,2, or the new MMO?
>>
>>44199985
>mount and blade/Dark souls are literally god tier games
>>
Crusader Kings 2
>>
Baldurs gate
System Shock
Alpha Centauri
>>
>>44199760

The new(ish) Shadowrun: Dragonfall is very good, and this year's Shadowrun: Hong Kong is supposed to be just as good (I haven't played it yet)
>>
>>44199985
KOTOR 2. Even better with the restoration mod. Seriously, it's such a great game. Probably the best Star Wars game I've ever played.
>>
Rougelieks:
>NetHack - perennial classic, recently got its first update in 11 years!
>DCSS - although a lot of /tg/ has jumped ship since some the recent updates
>DF, as already mentioned. Stretches the definition a little but still shares a lot of the core engagement.
>>
File: 1449797020635.jpg (52KB, 898x348px) Image search: [Google]
1449797020635.jpg
52KB, 898x348px
>>44200087
>>tfw it feels like Bannerlord will only be available as a Christmas gift for my grandchildren
>>
File: 1438809986456.jpg (106KB, 629x701px) Image search: [Google]
1438809986456.jpg
106KB, 629x701px
>>44200624
Take a look at /mbg/ on the video game general board.
They've been hype for at least five months and I'm pretty sure they only sleep to have speculation-induced fever dreams about the most recent screenshot.
>>
>>44200785
That's kind of my point. I don't normally go to vidya general, but I'm hyped as fuck when there's a new video or screenshot of Bannerlord. Shame it comes in nearly year long intervals.
>>
What are some ttrpgs?
>>
>>44200087
>>44199985
>Play mount and blade
>Get followed by a numerically superior foe with better equipment
>Get imprisoned
>Escape
>Get attacked by numerically superior foe
>Get imprisoned
>Escape
>Get attacked by numerically superior foe
>Pay them off
>Get attacked by numerically inferior foe
>The ten faggots cut through my fifty soldiers like they are made of butter
>IT'S JUST LIKE ONE OF MY JAPANESE ANIMES
>FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>Rage quit
Later, I learned you're supposed to grind like a fucking korean MMO until your dudes can actually fight.
>>
>>44201156
>>playing the game equals grinding
You're supposed to level yourself, your companions and your army. If you're losing all the time, you either suck at fighting or your army sucks at fighting. Seriously, I've had armies that break the 'chat log' with their kills. When my knights hit their lines, it can takes minutes before it starts recording deaths/injuries again.

Grind must mean work in your mind.
>>
>>44201156
Just don't face a numerically superior foe unless you have high tier troops.
Tactical troop placement is key (shieldwall screening your archers, cav wedge from the rear, etc.)
>>
>>44201248
fighting the same inferior foes in the same location over and over for the sake of XP is not playing the game. It's indeed work.

Viking Conquest is a LOT better in this regard. I've beaten much stronger armies with farmers and women just through tactics.

The regular game is really awful in it's "numbers > everything else" else approach.
>>
>>44201368
numbers =/= everything else.
tactics do indeed make a big difference.
get gud.
>>
>>44201368
Maybe it's just you. I've played Warband for 300 hours, that's not including the time I played vanilla before it was on Steam. When you're at the whims of a king, your enemies can vary, as do the battlefields. I've even fought an army of over 2500 with only 200 men only to 'lose' because I got a crossbow bolt in the face by the very last bastard, which made the enemy retreat in failure.
>>
>>44201368
>The regular game is really awful in it's "numbers > everything else" else approach.

You cut through numbers like butter with some slightly better leveled troops.

Hell, early days you can take out 40 dudes solo so long as you've got a horse.
>>
>>44201156
Here's what you need to do:
__________________Git gud______________
>>
>>44201360
>khergit tactics

SCATTER!
>>
>>44201451
I meant stat numbers. Having leveled troops is more important than tactics or a large army. It can get really absurd when you watch a guy tanking like twenty other dudes and the log being how all the dudes piling on him are dying all over the place.

It's like watching shonen. It kills my suspension of disbelief, the faggot should at least trip and fall under all those blows.

Viking Conquest doesn't get quite as bad.
>>
>>44201032

You mean what are some ttrpgs turned into videogames, or what are some ttrpgs in general because you're new to this board
>>
>>44201542
Fighting looters for hours until your dudes magically poop out better equipment and stats and become capable of beating 10 to 1 odds without tactics is not "getting good", rather "spending time".
>>
>>44201156
>muh numbers
>thinking your peasants with shitty clubs are a threat to seasoned warriors
>>
How's Daggerfall?
>>
>>44201599
I assume he means TTRPG formatted games, in a vidya format.

So I think he wants to see dice rolled on chances to hit and them hitting on you. But I don't think he realizes all those elements are incorporated into every vidya RPG ever and are used behind the curtain instead of the players seeing everything work.
>>
File: image_15.jpg (125KB, 750x1067px) Image search: [Google]
image_15.jpg
125KB, 750x1067px
>>44201368
Dude I've defended a castle with only 70 mediocre troops against 700 enemy troops, 4-5 lords included.
I've also beaten like 1-15 odds because I flank with cavalry using my foot soldiers as a shield wall and my archers to pulls their agro. Just get a lot of cavalry, the games really historically accurate in the sense that cavalry is dank.
>>
>>44201650
Neat, but old as fuck. The interface can be nightmare inducing if you're not used to older games.

It also has a lot of D&D-isms, which is positive or negative based on your opinion of D&D.
>>
>>44201650
very dated.

more so than morrowind
>>
Darkest Dungeon.

Final release Soonâ„¢.
>>
>>44201696
And the way to get cavalry is to level your peasants until they magically shit out a horse. Odd that there's no way to micromanage soldier equipment. You can have a billion denars, but that won't get them equipped. Only grinding does.
>>
>>44201610
You can go to a training camp and just train your troops. To pay them off, look around for a couple lords and ask if they need any quests done. Once you happen upon a taxation quest, take the tax money and run to a far away training camp. It may take an hour or two to get 20 troops to knights, but when you do the game gets a lot easier.
>>
>>44199760
Skyrim... heavily modded so your waifu can use her labia as deadly weapons.
>>
>>44201610
You're playing it wrong sempai
Here's some quick guidelines for new players like you

>Gain tons of gold in tournaments and trading
>Invest said gold on dyeworks
>Train your troops against sea raiders
>Get married to a powerful lords qt daughter
>Use your companions for specific tasks like healing and pathfinding
>Don't be such a crybaby
>>
>>44201807
Because the base game doesn't have rules for
>>common soldiers who rise through the ranks
>>nobles who have better gear right off the bat
It's just a tier 1 through X at the moment. You pay a certain amount for a level upgrade, instead of paying for their equipment. If you had to, that would mean you could only ever afford a few knights in a single play through unless you abused the Floris landowner rents.
>>
>>44199760
Single player or multi? If multi, coop or pvp?

Don't get me wrong. I have fun with pvp and I am decent at it in the games I do it but nothing turns a game into a cesspit for the whiny bitchfesting twat Brigade like pvp.
>>
>>44200450
I can attest. Shadowrun: Tokyo is excellent.
>>
>>44201726
>>44201705
Is it bad I can't stand Morrowind, but like Daggerfall?
>>
>>44201954
>Shadowrun: Tokyo

There was another game?
>>
>>44202024
Daggerfall is subjectively the best in the series. It's just that the UI and default controls are crazy archaic.
>>
>>44202024
No.

I disagree with your opinion wholeheartedly, but it's not bad that you hold an opinion.

What bothers you about morrowind though? It's basically daggerfall with a better UI and hand crafted, much much much smaller world.

Or alternatively, daggerfall is a Morrowind with a shittier UI and a much larger, procedurally generated and somewhat empty world.
>>
>>44202132
I dunno...Maybe I need to play it more. Morrowind is fine, but it moves at an annoyingly crawling pace, especially at the beginning, and Daggerfall doesn't really have that problem, you're dropped into Privateer's hold to do whatever. I think Morrowind's curve is a bit more steep, UI aside. And Daggerfall is unlimited so there's that too. Once you do morrowind you're done with it for that playthrough. Maybe I should revisit it, "can't stand" isn't something I should've said, I just prefer Daggerfall.
>>
>>44201807
Or you and companions equip horses and form a small cavalry?
Mercenaries also exist and khergit get horses quick. Sarranid too I believe
>>
>>44202236
>Once you do morrowind you're done with it for that playthrough
You can keep playing after you beat the main quest in morrowind.
>>
Undertale
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/bge20_vote
>>
>>44199871
Dungeon of the Endless. (faggot)
>>
>>44199760
Apotheon: saytre dicks
>>
>>44202308
I mean like once you clear dungeons, they're done, and finite quests. Daggerfall doesn't really have that.
>>
>>44201696
>Be Rhodonks
>Take over one of the castles where the ramp to the walls is inside the walls.
>Have my crossbowmen run out of bolts killing an enemy army there's so many dudes.
>>
File: seducer.gif (100KB, 285x160px) Image search: [Google]
seducer.gif
100KB, 285x160px
>>44201650
fun as fuck but this is nostalgia goggles speaking. also I think leveling caps off at ~30? because of the formula it uses - 15% increase from last level when looking at all primary, top two secondary and top one tertiary skills

but you can play till you get bored, it's huge.
>>
>>44202580
Literally one of the hardest games I've ever played, I always end up getting wrecked.
>>
>>44202766
When I started I just robbed crypts. Great source of money
>>
Galactic Civilizations 2 or 3
>>
dungeon crawl soup stone
>>
Would you play an Android game based heavily on D&D mechanics and pixel art graphics?
>>
>>44204524
Depends, is it good?
>>
>>44201156
Try the vexed native mod, reduces a lot of the grind, more money, and hold more arrows!
>>
King of Dragon Pass.

Praise to the Runic Men!
>>
>>44204524
>an Android game
No.
>>
>>44205070
Runic Men ftw. You can buy KoDP all over the place now but I never bothered because any attempt I could make would never live up to the legend.
>>
I haven't seen it discussed on /tg/ but I feel like Invisible Inc. is one of the best games of the year and really ought to be one of ours
>>
File: CK2.png (106KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
CK2.png
106KB, 256x256px
>>44199760
Pic related.
Pillars of Eternity.
Mount and Blade
Total War games
Age of Wonders 3
>>
>>44201610
Its a meme, you dip!
>>
File: 126546314.gif (2MB, 390x271px) Image search: [Google]
126546314.gif
2MB, 390x271px
>>44201610
>implying that peasants with sticks and stones are as good as trained and equipped soldiers with experience on even terrain.
>>
>>44201368
I regularly beat forces that outnumbered me, its about tactics man, gotta know where to position those archers and where to hit the enemy...also horse is love horse is life.
>>
Alpha Protocol
>>
>>44199760
Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>44206153
steep hill is love, steep hill is life
rhodoks 4 lyfe, yo
>>
E.Ψ.Ǝ: Divine Cybermancy
Deus Ex
Heroes of Might and Magic
Neverwinter Nights
basically, all that >>44199985 listed. Actually, all the games listed here
Scarlet Blade
>>
>>44202828
I managed to get to the end once, it's hard bt when you get it, it's quite fun actually
>>
>>44199760
Final Fantasy Tactics
>>
>>44199760
Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines

Is a classic people, how come nobody mentioned it?
>>
File: gfs_41388_2_6.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_41388_2_6.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
>>44199985
>>44206227

If you bastards are going to mention HoMM, you'd better go play the CRPG Might and Magic games too. 1-5 are super-arcane and do not conform to modern standards. 6 is definitely the high point of the series, while 7 and 8 are still good because they're basically 6 with different coats of paint.
>>
>>44199760
Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas.
>>
I'm going to get told to git gud for this, and laughed at, but I think Darkest Dungeon is actually way too unforgiving. Now, I know the point is to be unforgiving and all, but it just feels ridiculous now.

It's one of those games that really made me interested as a /tg/ citizen, but actually playing the game feels like getting punched in the face for wanting to play it. Maybe I just haven't found the right approach, but there's some terrible fucking dreary bullshit to it that always kills all my desire to play.

I play OSR D&D Fantasy Vietnam bullshit as my main tabletop game choice, and I still find Darkest Dungeon to be too much. Fuck.
>>
File: 1432641636546.gif (133KB, 311x366px) Image search: [Google]
1432641636546.gif
133KB, 311x366px
>>44206278
>Castle Darkmoor
Not the eyes, please, not the eyes!
>>
>>44199760

hopefully the vidya game I am working on right now in the future
>>
>>44206290
I personally find the game to be extremely easy. Outside of a chain of failures that are just bad luck, it's pretty rare to lose anyone on anything but the hardest missions.

I'm going to try and do an Arb/Hound/Abomin/Leper party next, just for the hell of it.
>>
>>44206326

right now, the game build is pretty tedious.
they add in a lot of shit to make the experience really grating
>>
>>44206269
Same reason a lot of people like KOTOR 1 over 2.
It's only 3/4 done.
>>
>>44201156
>Get a lance and a horse.
>Couched lance damage = pretty much instakill.
>Rake in that exp and gold

or
>Get high level power draw and bow skill
>1 shot = 1 kill
>Your character is equivalent of a small army

or
>Become really good at melee and become a tourneyfag.
>Win enough tournaments and you'll be offered a fiefdom.
>>
>>44206326
The problem for me is that actually keeping your characters in good condition gets really annoying. It's not that I'm constantly losing all my characters that get anywhere, it's that the maintenance for those characters quickly becomes a fun vampire.

How exactly do you manage that?
>>
>>44206225
The rhodok king is in my dungeon right next to the swadian king, the swadians have no land the the rhodoks have no cities, the vagirs no longer exist, Nord life.
>>
>>44206290
I get what you say, the RNG in the game is unforgiving. I had a lot of fun but only the few time I had the luck of not having unforgiving enemies or dungeon layout. Altough when you have some experience, there are some things you can do reduce that.

Before they changed it, I was going in the dungeons with no torches and embraced the darkness. When someone went mad, he couldn't go further in the madness and he was "saved". Some mental affect where useless but one or two made them more agressive. Now when someone goes mad for too long he just dies
>>
>>44206341
I pretty much don't.

I have like 2-3 teams of actual dudes worth keeping, and then I just hire dudes for random missions and then immediately dump them unless I have some reason to keep them.
>>
>>44200027
The new mmo is just called neverwinter, and nwn2 is poo poo. Nwn1 is best game.
>>
>>44206348
They actually changed Heart Attacks again so they're not a straight up death anymore. They're now a big risk of death(if the character is ever at 0 HP when their turn starts they die at max stress) but they're no longer auto death.
>>
>>44206290
The protection slapped onto almost all enemies has kinda turned me away. The really dangerous armoured ones also have high stun resistance. You'd think the best option is to bleed/blight them but a party really needs to be specialized for it and your characters aren't designed to get into protracted fights generally (which I usually like and they've said it's by design).

It's the only thing which really throws a spanner in my works. High Prot% enemies
>>
>>44206362
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is really good.
>>
>>44206278
Love Mandate of Heaven.

My alert tone is Wizard Eye
>>
>>44206355
Yeah, that's the fun vampire for me. I have the good dudes that advance, and when they get too fucked, I stuff them into the maintenance and cart in poor, stupid motherfuckers that get told to shut the fuck up and get into the dungeon. Then they suicide, run away with loot, and get told to go back home as broken wrecks. Repeat until enough money is achieved to get the main parties back into working condition. Then quest and then start the cycle again.

It's become even more necessary as the updates have added to this. If I don't do that, I'm not gonna have people who actually advance so that I can get farther in the game.
>>
>>44206363
Oh thanks, I'll get back to it soon. Playing that way was fun and way more rewarding
>>
Rebel Galaxy. It's a quite simple X3/freelancer and the closest thing to Rogue Trader (but with cowboys instead of pirates and conquistadores)
>>
File: tg games.jpg (3MB, 2900x2366px) Image search: [Google]
tg games.jpg
3MB, 2900x2366px
>>44199760
Nobody posted this, /tg/ I am disappoint.
>>
>>44206366
Houndmaster really helps with those, but I kind of get why they did it.

It was just too easy to make those super alpha parties that murdered everything before it ever got a chance to hurt them back.

>>44206378
I've heard you can also manage effectively by building dedicated parties for each dungeon and rotating them through. You keep your funds managed by fact that you only really need to have one party recovering at a time, and then you just move through each dungeon(so one party questing, one party recovering, and two parties in stasis).

You need flunkies for that method because you outstrip the bosses that way, but it's the best way I've heard that doesn't involve just burning through recruits.
>>
>>44206314
tell us more
>>
>>44199760
Dark Messiah
>>
>>44201156
Cheat yourself some cash and levels
>>
>>44201156
Do you even horse archer? I mean my god, I can usually solo big bandit groups by myself with just a sword, bow, and 2 bags of arrows. It's even better with my own soldiers because I can run rings around the enemy making them waste their ammo. Meanwhile my guys only fight a small stream of them. I mean I'm not usually the guy to say "get gud" but seriously you need to try harder. I suck at this game compared to experienced multiplayer players.

Level your strength and agility to 15, put everything else into intelligence. Charisma is a dump stat. Focus on damage. Use the fastest bow you can get and get a good two handed sword. Keep light so you can strafe enemy arrows and outrun enemies. Noncombat skills should be leadership (get as high as you can during char creation without raising charisma), surgery, wound management, and training. Get some heavy cavalry and now you have a near immortal band of knights that will slaughter most enemy groups up to 5x their size. Now all you need is some good heavy infantry and you can start taking castles/cities.
>>
Age of Fear and its sequel are pretty good for scratching that turn-based itch.
>>
>>44201857
I hate mods, they fuck the game up most of the time
>>
>>44201156
Invest in cavalry, be them mercs, law agents or whatever. You'll rape everything in open battles in early and still have a nice Team for bandit lair raids. I only used infantry for sieges.
>>
>>44206279
1 and 2 are incredibly archaic
>>
>>44201886
Mods usually make the tournaments harder. Slavery is a good source of income.
>>
>>44206455
Infantry is good when you are playing it defensive. Just stand on a hill and let cavalry come to you
>>
File: fightv5.gif (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
fightv5.gif
2MB, 960x540px
>>44206408

Just a tactical RPG set in an urban setting and utilize some different gameplay style than norm.

Basically instead of fighting one battle like most and that's it, you instead undergo missions, which is a series of encounters and battles.

So, you have to balance your recovery surges and stamina in each battle so you don't arrive at future battles dead on arrival or with an empty tank.

The intention is that missions are supposed to feel like tabletop sessions so you can't just go full blast on the first battle of the session.

Here's a link to a short demo.

http://furiousgamer87.itch.io/street-posse-showdown
>>
>>44206472
Yeah but infantry doesn't allow you to engage vastly larger amount of enemies and win.
>>
>>44206401
I might try that. But even then, Darkest Dungeon is really starting to feel like the kind of game where you need to master the meta instead of relying on any common sense or intuition. I get that all games have that to some degree, but some games are way worse about it than others. It kills the fun for me really fast when the game turns into how much research and experimentation I need to do to have fluent knowledge of the system and the tricks it has instead of actually, you know, playing the game.

It's not that games shouldn't have a meta-element to them. All games do, but Darkest Dungeon feels pretty crude in that aspect. It's deceptive, I feel.
>>
I really enjoyed Age of Decadence. Shit was cash.
>>
File: SunlessSea.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SunlessSea.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
y'all niggas don't even know about my Sunless Sea.

Literally: Deepest Lore The Video Game.

YOU SAIL AN UNDERWATER OCEAN, LIVE IN A LONDON STOLEN BY BATS AND TAKEN THERE, TRYING TO DODGE THE ATTENTION OF DARK GODS AND WORSE

YOU CAN GO INSANE AND EAT YOUR CREW
>>
>>44206544
>You can haul cargo endlessly in tedium for slightly better upgrades.

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>44206544
SORRY, UNDERGROUND OCEAN

I'M TOO HYPE
>>
>>44206544

>Sunless Sea
>a game
>not Fallen London's dlc
>>
File: very nice.png (496KB, 547x501px) Image search: [Google]
very nice.png
496KB, 547x501px
>>44206474
>tactical RPG
I'm already liking it, gonna be downloading it
>>
>>44206398
I came here to post this.
>>
>>44199760
Dawn of War I with all expansions and Ultimate Apocalypse
Mount and Blade:Warband with mods
>>
>>44206362
Other than Mask of the Betrayer the whole NWN series has been poo poo.
>>
>>44206575
Is the game of throne mod for mount and blade any better? I'm really put off by the whole "lose your stats through random events" things.
>>
>>44199760
>ctrl+f
>arcanum
>no results
What's wrong with you /tg/? Granted, the game is somewhat mediocre besides the soundtrack and it's C&C, but hot damn are those two things really fucking good.
>>
>>44206576

Hordes of the Underdark for NWN1 isn't bad. The main campaign of NWN2 starts terribly but picks up. I seem to recall not hating Undrentide, buuuut.
>>
>>44206550
>I'm playing the game wrong and I don't understand why I'm so bored.

The game flow works like this:

>Get an objective from the Admiralty, later maybe from another source in London, maybe from a crew member.
>Go out, stopping at ports to gather Port Reports, cash in Something Awaits At Port to get new story (the real reward of the game) or new items
>Complete objective, which is further out at zee each time
>Turn around, taking a new route, gathering more reports
>Return to port
>Turn in things
>Get new mission to send you somewhere else
>Repeat

>While on your trip:
>>Cash in Secrets from exploration for stat increases.
>>Carefully engage enemies for drops/experience (fragments).
>>Read the weird logbook entries.
>>Admire the interesting scenery.
>>Slowly go insane.

Eventually, you'll

>>Try to die in an entertaining fashion (Such as finding a certain altar) or doing something incredible (kill a boss)
>>complete your heart's desire (selected at the start) and Win.

Trade is not what the game is designed for. The game /explicitly tells you this/. Literally speaking. You're meant to compile port reports, explore, experience, and upgrade through lucky finds that are frequent when doing so.
>>
>>44206589
You can turn that off, though. From the camp menu.
>>
>>44206590
Arcanum has been posted
>>44206398
>>
>>44206596
News to me. Thanks.
>>
>>44206593
If I wanted a story, I'd read a book. I play games to increase numbers, bitch.
>>
File: 1449261269142.jpg (144KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1449261269142.jpg
144KB, 572x303px
>>44206607
I'm sorry you're terrible at role playing games, anon.

Literally the entire appeal of Sunless Sea is the logbooks and port stories. If you don't like them, then it isn't your game.
>>
>>44206617
Good roleplaying games are about getting bigger stats and killing bigger things.

Bad roleplaying games try to pretend they're books when the author actually can't write a decent sentence to save his life.
>>
>>44206626
Good roleplaying games emulate good tabletop experiences.

Good tabletop experiences are not at all about getting bigger numbers. If that's all you seek out of a tabletop group then I weep for your DM.

Sunless Sea isn't really badly written at all.

But hey, if you're an ADHD little child who gets off on bigger numbers, then I'm sure Bethesda has some great games for you lately.
>>
>>44206626
Good roleplaying games allow you to roleplay.
>>
>>44206603
>>44206398
Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 2 are both on that list, but not a single King's Quest game. I am dissapoint.
>>
>>44206638
Good tabletop experiences realize that amateur drama theater should be left for actual drama theater. Tactical challenges are the real meat of tabletop games, and anyone telling you otherwise is a dickwad.
>>
>>44206638
>Good roleplaying games emulate good tabletop experiences.
No. It's two completely different things, and what makes for a good tabletop experience does not make for a good video game experience and vice versa. That said, I don't necessarily agree that the best RPGs are all about increasing your stats, but that's certainly a big part of them.
>>
>>44206638
>I try to pretend I'm playing a tabletop game with friends by myself for the computer

Wow, are you lonely and sad or what?
>>
File: bloodborne_41587.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne_41587.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>44199760
>Ctrl+F Bloodborne
>No mentions

Come on /tg/
>>
>>44206671
>I can only ever have one hobby

Wow, are you lonely or sad or what?
>>
>>44206661
Can't we have both? Tactical gameplay and roleplay?
>>
>>44206689
I don't known of a single video game that actually offers a good roleplaying experience. I do know of quite a few RPGs that are so poorly designed that people intentionally cripple themselves when playing and then call it roleplaying.
>>
File: Using_Fiasco_to_play_anime.png (411KB, 720x408px) Image search: [Google]
Using_Fiasco_to_play_anime.png
411KB, 720x408px
>>44206689
We can, and different people like different things, and you can even roleplay out your tactics!
One doesn't preclude the other.

I love sperging over my build, and I also love masturbating to my characters feels.
And I even love rules that let me portray my character's feels.

The important thing is that a game is a series of interesting choices - and 'interesting' usually means 'balanced', where there isn't one obviously better option. As long as that's there, I can go as storygamey and as rules-heavy as you want.
>>
>>44206689
This shipfighting in Sunless Sea is basically thus:

>You have a range in which your gunners can see and aim at your foe.
>As you keep your foe in this range (usually a wide cone in front and to your sides) you progress towards a perfect firing solution. (Higher stats means this ticks up faster).
>When you complete the solution, you can fire for a gaurenteed hit. (damage is benefitted by, again, stats)
>Defensively, you aim to prevent your foe from finding you, (aided by stats) or staying in a blind firing spot (usually directly behind your opponent).

Most times you don't want to get in combat, because it's very dangerous, eats up resources (mostly crew and money) and can kill you quickly if you underestimate your opponent.
>>
>>44206729
That sounds like EVE Online.
>>
>>44201368
I regularly beat armies if 200+ enemies with my 60 men shieldwall.

I literally don't need anything else

You probably just suck
>>
>>44201696
Fuck horses infantry a best
>>
>>44206153
>horse is love
Fucking swadian faggot

Nord infantry is love
>>
Etrian Odyssey is pretty fun. Go play Utawarerumono as well, it's legitimately better than the anime in all regards.
>>
Dwarf Fortress
Aurora 4x
Pulsar 4x when released
Temple of elemental Evil
>>
File: 1449458707321.jpg (465KB, 1280x1691px) Image search: [Google]
1449458707321.jpg
465KB, 1280x1691px
Dragon Age series (at least the first one is most tg-like)

Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>44199760
Basically any RPG or simulator I'd assume. That and Princess Maker 2.
>>
File: deus_ex_hong_kong.jpg (244KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
deus_ex_hong_kong.jpg
244KB, 1280x768px
I can't stand any RPG that isn't Deus Ex.
>>
>>44206398
>Last Remnant in that pic

My god other people played that?
>>
>>44201799
It's too bad that I feel that they are fucking up. But I really dig the overall feeling and atmosphere that the game has. Also the narrator is god tier.
>>
>>44206461
archaic =/= bad
I do get what you're saying, though. I can't play 1 without dozens of graphical glitches, and 2 will kill you in the tutorial area. Every fucking time.
>>
>>44199760
>>
>>44204524
Pixel Dungeon?
It's fun, that first boss can be tough if you can't get the right gear. But that poison tractor thing is impassable for me.

There are a couple rogue-likes i enjoy, especially Stone soup
>>
File: 1449773289693.jpg (74KB, 462x613px) Image search: [Google]
1449773289693.jpg
74KB, 462x613px
>>44199760
King's Quest are great /tg/ related adventure games. If I were to recommend a single game from it, it'd probably either be V or the new episodic series that is currently being released.
>>
>>44206398
>Mystery of the Druids
Is this actually a good game or just a meme?
>>
>>44210267
The actual game is shit terrible.
>>
>>44201360
>cav wedge from the rear, etc.)
You'd actually want your cab in a lines so they can actually hit something with lances before they gey stopped having them condensed doesn't do as much as you'd think even with high charge horses

Also fuck horse archer AI it's near abysmal
>>
>>44206398
When are we going to update that?

Slap Halo wars on it
>>
File: bombs_away_17811.jpg (201KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
bombs_away_17811.jpg
201KB, 1280x800px
Starsector
>>
>>44206269
my guess? because its a bitch to get going nowadays. Its seriously a gauntlet of fucking loops to jump through to play it. Also it has not aged very well at all.
>>
>>44206362
NWN1 is only good if you stick to the online stuff and multiplayer; the original campaign is "you have to find the things and the other things, what is game balance." The two expansion packs are massive improvements. NWN2's original campaign is a lot more ambitious, but the plot is every single fantasy cliche ever and it's pretty dang buggy. Its expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is one of the best CRPGs you're ever likely to play.
>>
File: tumblr_mhu8wdsr5Z1rn4obco1_1280.png (847KB, 1280x857px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhu8wdsr5Z1rn4obco1_1280.png
847KB, 1280x857px
>ctrl + f
>FTL
>no hits
Come on, it's like you don't like total despair of space. Also it has that dere feel of a boardgame.
>>
>>44206227
Divine Cybermancy is fun, but really needs to be played in co-op to shine. Also, it's just a liiitle bit buggy.
>>
>>44206279
Sorry dude, I love Fallout 1 and 2, but they really need nostalgia glasses to be played. They're still a great ton of fun, and I even played them again recently. However, I'd only recommend them to someone who really likes old-school games.
>>
>>44200594
I haven't played Stone Soup in a long time, what changed to make it worse?
>>
>>44213531
The only western RPG video game I've been able to sincerely enjoy has been Fallout New Vegas. I'm currently playing through Fallolut 2, and it's definitely one of the better western isometrics I've played and even I wouldn't say it's "great". Maybe it's because I'm a filthy casual but the most fun I've had with the game was smashing Lynette's face in with a powerfist and butchering vault city.
>>
>>44213710
The Dev's are basically gutting a lot of the neat flavorful shit because it "doesn't contribute" or some nonsense. They're basically trying to turn it into a streamlined "competitive" roguelike.

For example
>scrolls and potions don't burn and shatter when your hit with fire and ice
>chunks no longer mention where the meat came from
>chunks don't rot they just dissapear after X turns
>no more fruit variety, like Choko's and Apples and Grapes. It's all just "fruit".
>no more drinking fountains
>Levels no longer have -cTele.
>no more sacrificing corpses
>Gods no longer protect worshippers from Beogh smiting or TSO cleansing flame if you have piety
> For the player and for monsters, curare needles no longer have an effect that prevents the use of abilities relying on breath.
>NO MORE HAMMERS
>a bunch of neat mounters like wandering mushrooms are gone/summon only
>no more flying spells
>>
>>44213728
Totally, if you had fun with that then you might want to try a low intelligence run. 2 was amazing with stuff like that. Really pisses me off that 4 cut out all that kind of fun stuff.
>>
File: anti-bully ranger.jpg (88KB, 578x740px) Image search: [Google]
anti-bully ranger.jpg
88KB, 578x740px
>>44206474
>literally game about bullying
Anon, pls.
>>
>>44201833
>spend an hour or two doing bullshit just so you can start playing the game

Don't be a shitgame apologist
>>
>>44213531
Nah, I've been playing Fallout: Tactics recently (that's generally considered poor cousin of 1 & 2) and it has been great fun. Well, maybe except for last two evening, because doing hostage mission with 100% success and no saves is pain in the ass, but other than that it's more fun than pretty much anything recent.
>>
>>44206398
>shitty bethesda games and minecraft
>no brood war

What the fuck is this?
At least you have worms armageddon
>>
Here's what I recommend:

System Shock 2
Chivalry
FTL: Faster than Light
Bastion
Shadowrun Returns (And Dragonfall and Hong Kong)
Transistor
XCOM
Xenonauts
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Endless Space (and Endless Legend)
Tomb of the Necrodancer
Rogue Legacy
The Witcher (Do the Entire series. First has finnicky gameplay but a good story while the rest are great.)
Magicka
Metro series
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (Not going to lie, Jedi Outcast is really hard to get into and most people won't enjoy how obtuse the level design is. Jedi Academy is much better about those things.)
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Dawn of War (Get it with all the Expansions and the Armageddon Mod)
KOTOR 1 and 2 (Heads up, don't invest in the Melee Weapons Skill Tree.)
Wasteland series (Spiritual successor to Fallout)
Fallout: New Vegas (Mod the shit out of it. I recommend Project Nevada as it's a compilation for some of the best mods)
>>
>>44214037
You include System Shock 2 but not Deus Ex?
>>
>>44214037

Another vouch for the three shadowrun titles by harebrained, the best thing to happen to CRPGs in the past years.

*Looks disappointed to PoE*
>>
>>44214163
Oh yeah, I'd recommend that too. Be warned though, the graphics have aged TERRIBLY.
>>
Kamidori alchemy meister for magical realm/ hate elves
>>
How the fuck is possible nobody mentioned Chapter Master?

Who are you and what did you do to my /tg/?
>>
>>44214210
You mean Interstellar Army Simulator 2015.
>>
>>44210498
How similar is this game to SPAZ? It looks fun and more indepth, but I got bored of SPAZ way too quickly.

>>44213885
Isn't Nevada-tan getting released from jail in the near future?
>>
>>44214829
>Isn't Nevada-tan getting released from jail in the near future

From the wikipedia article she should have been released several years ago.
>>
>>44214187
The graphics are fine. There are games that have aged WAY worse.
>>
File: Deus_Ex_ss1.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Deus_Ex_ss1.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>44215031
There are indeed games that have aged worse. But Deus Ex's graphics have still aged pretty badly. Not unplayable, but it's a noticeable decline, especially with newer graphics cards.

I really want an Anniversary edition.
>>
>>44214187
Theres a pretty good mod for it thats been out for a while, New Vision, it changes some of the graphics considerably well but doesnt change the game too much like the other update mod that came out a few months ago

The sound track and atmosphere is GOLDEN
>>
>>44206879
>Go play Utawarerumono as well, it's legitimately better than the anime in all regards.

I don't know why people say this. The anime is one of the most faithful adaptions I've ever seen. Like, the only parts missing/different are SoL stuff with spriteless villagers, and a few things involving the mechs. The only way I would call it inferior is the music, which is trash compared to the game.
>>
>>44201156
>being this shit in a fight
>not using a lance and hammer
>not leveling Pathfinding
>not leveling Wound Treatment
>not having a companion level Pathfinding and Wound Treatment for the assist boost
>probably no baggage horses in inventory

M8 less than an hour into the game I can solo parties of several dozen enemies simply by outmaneuvering them and picking them off one by one on the charge. Use the lance to unhorse any calvary, keep up your speed and move lateral to archers, and run circles around them as you club niggas into submission. If you aren't personally accounting for a full quarter of all casualties in battle, you're doing it wrong.

Pathfinding, Wound Treatment, and spare horses are key to being effective on the overworld. Wounded soldiers are slow, unled forces are slower, and a force carrying three villages worth of loot barely moves. Pathfinding solves all these problems and allows you to roll around at double the speed of comparable armies. With party skill level 14 from max level Pathfinding on two characters, you can lead a hundred T1 troops around at 6.4 speed or get just yourself and companions on horses across the map at a blistering 16.8.
>>
>>44206427
>Charisma is a dump stat.
Nigga you cray. Charisma is what let's you roll around with a 300-man royal army, and what let's you afford to roll around with upwards of a hundred top-tier troops without breaking the bank.

Make one of your companions the INT whore, it doesn't matter who has a party skill as long as somebody does. You're the only one who can invest in Leadership and Slave Management, and my god do you need them. Slaves are mad dosh, and high leadership is the only thing standing between you and desertions.
>>
>>44215099
https://soundcloud.com/deus-ex-ost/vandenberg-tunnels
Damn straight.
>>
>>44214037
>Wasteland series (Spiritual successor to Fallout)
What the fuck. Fallout was the successor to Wasteland.
>>
>>44199760
Besides many of them mentioned already, Cataclysm:DDA and Faster Than Light
>>
>>44206410
Underrated post.
The swordplay is relatively accurate. Kicking is OP though.

>>44214034
Shitty bethesda games? Where? Morrowind is great. New Vegas isn't even developed by bethesda, but by Obsidian, who can actually make a non-shit rpg. (see:fallout 3 and 4)
>>
>>44214195
Kamidori is pretty pro-elf though. I don't recall them being significant unless you decide to fuck Elf-tits.
>>
>>44218260
>fallout 4
>non-shit
>rpg
>>
>>44218354
Yeah. Fallout 4 attempts to be an rpg. It fails dearly, and is a generally shit game.
FO3 wasn't as bad as 4, but it was still sub-sub-par.
>>
>>44206514
I think this is a problem with games that are 'difficult' for the sake of 'being difficult'. Challenge is an excellent motivator and can be engaging but when the game randomly punches you in the balls just for playing I think a line has been crossed. No thank you.
>>
>>44206847
The Roman army at Cannae would like a word.
>>
>>44207196
>Temple of Elemental Evil
With the Circle of Eight modpack installed, FTFY
>>
>>44200027
>>44206362
>>44206576
>>44206592
NWN is literally so good that it still has an active online community years after all support has stopped.
>>
>>44223913
My experience is that the people who play NWN online don't do it because the game itself but because of whatever server community they're a part of.
>>
>>44201156
Buttdevastated Vaegir snownigger detected
>>
>>44223947
I've found that it's generally not a bad system, though, if you look beyond how utterly fucked the balance of it all is. It's not a terrible way to run campaigns.
>>
>>44221103
Im not a masochist but that's the thing I like about Dankest dungeon. Sense of danger is real. Difficulty settings should have been implemented long ago though so people like you could turn of some random bad ends and enjoy it too. Some patches my starting heroes died during tutorial and I got only jesters from wagon. My shit was fucked.
>>
File: 1431884304534.jpg (94KB, 244x522px) Image search: [Google]
1431884304534.jpg
94KB, 244x522px
>>44206398
>No Dungeon Siege
>>
>>44224309
I never liked Dungeon Siege, other than the UI / Combat
>>
>>44224320
That world and soundtrack tho.
>>
>>44218308
Depends on the route you take. If you fug elf tits it's pretty pro cohabitation, if you take black hair it's neutral, if you take loli I can see how it comes off as hate elves.
>>44215597
Since most of those are newer (read post 2000) games, I'm going to assume he meant Avellone's Wasteland because that's what he called it while marketing it.
>>
>>44214037
>Endless Games
The Queen smiles on you.
>>
>>44201156
>In all my time playing M&B I've never had this issue.

If you segregate your units into ranged and melee formations, and position them as such, the AI hardly every separates their forces and makes them go willy-nilly. It is ridiculously easy to get some elite crossbowmen pretty early on to mow down entire armies from hundreds of meters away.
It isn't really that much grinding, and the whole point of the game is to take over the world starting as some random nobody who almost got mugged on the street one day. So yeah it's going to take a while.
>>
>>44224309
mein neger.

Dungeon Siege was the shit.

>Then the second and third one came out.
... was.
>>
>>44221174
Tell them to speak to my huscarl shieldwall
>>
>>44215492
>not evening out all chars
>taking companions

Noob detected
>>
File: 1445904915806.jpg (162KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1445904915806.jpg
162KB, 803x688px
>>44206227
>EYE
My legs are OK.
>>
>>44224801
Even number 2 didn't shine as much as number 1. It felt dragged out. I was playing LoA lately and found an armour piece I hadn't seen before.

God I miss Sieging the day with mates.
>>
>>44199760
Dominions 4
>>
>>44209072
Would you possibly be interested in an open-worldish game built from the Pixel Dungeon source code?
>>
>>44206398
Civ 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.
>>
>>44227352
yes
>>
>>44214037
>Wasteland series (Spiritual successor to Fallout)
Fallout is the spiritual successor to Wasteland you damn bongo
>>
File: 2015-07-21_00001.jpg (200KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-21_00001.jpg
200KB, 1920x1080px
I enjoy the shit out of Sins of a Solar Empire. Tons of mods, too.
>>
>>44228090
Here's the mechanics build.
Quests and dungeons are slowly being built. Now that I've got scripting and dialogue figured out it should snap together pretty quickly.
But I've kept this project so quiet that I now desperately need feedback.
Oh, and some features are not implemented yet. If you find one that doesn't work and you want to see more of it, let me know.

https://mega.nz/#!6ws0yQzQ!94xPTqiIztiyjPxamu21-mqk_kC6VpnYzlkf07bSkyA
>>
>>44206474
Why am I suddenly quoting "The Warriors" after seeing that gif demo?

>Can you dig it?
>>
>>44226532
I hear you there.

/tg/ should get a "Good ole' games" multiplayer post so we can connect on LoA or some other multiplayer-capable game that /tg/ likes. I got my DISCS still, I'd play LoA with some peeps.
>>
>>44229390
Thanks
>>
>>44213823
>Levels no longer have -cTele.
>no more sacrificing corpses
>Gods no longer protect worshippers from Beogh smiting or TSO cleansing flame if you have piety
> For the player and for monsters, curare needles no longer have an effect that prevents the use of abilities relying on breath.
>NO MORE HAMMERS
>a bunch of neat mounters like wandering mushrooms are gone/summon only
>no more flying spells
This is all bullshit. So was the VS nerfs
chunk management streamlining was a needed thing after they gutted necromancy though. Really, the game went to shit when they cut out fucking FULSOME DISTILLATION FUCK I MAD GODDAMMIT WHY WOULD YOU GET RID OF THE MOST FUN THING IN THE GAME
>>
File: darkest_dungeon_screenshot_06.jpg (212KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
darkest_dungeon_screenshot_06.jpg
212KB, 1200x675px
Darkest Dungeon is pretty god damned awesome, and the new update is great.
>>
>>44213885
Literally who
>>
>>44234086
You mean Cove or there's even more recent one?
Also the game's fun but really easy (unless you make party that sucks on purpose).
>>
File: BanSag.jpg (278KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BanSag.jpg
278KB, 1920x1080px
>Nobody mentioned Banner Saga
>>
>>44234099
Chick from 04 murdered class mate has cult following, she was like 11 at the time
>>
>>44215353
>Giving yourself any kind of healing stats instead of having one companion as a dedicated doctor

You need Jeremus in your life, man.
>>
>>44215094
Man, it always pissed me off that an "assault rifle" that fires 7.62x51 ammuntion (which would make it a battle rifle, that's a full-sized cartridge) does piddly damage compared to a 10mm pistol. Even if it was a typo, supposed to be 5.56x45, it should still do more damage than the pistol.
>>
>>44199985

Blood Bowl? I never understoo how that's so popular. Sure, it sounds good, people killing eachother on the football field.

But I could never get into it. Because it's american football and I don't understand a thing about it.
>>
>>44231077
Ditto. I couldn't find the manual for my original DS. It's on steam but I get issues with the overlay.
>>
>>44234267
Is she hot?
Does she put out?
>>
>>44235031
It's way simplified compared to American football. All you need to do is get the ball to the far side of the field and avoid letting it touch the grass.
>>
>>44234267
>murdered class mate
That's just part of the truth - the whole story is that she was persistently bullied by a classmate. School authorities would do nothing about is so things escalated and the next time kids got into a quarrel, one of them didn't walk away from it. Box cutter was involved.
General public was mostly on her side, but court saw things differently and the girl got jail time (juvenile detention).

>>44235057
The authorities were kind enough to protect her identity after release from the jail, so we don't know. As a kid she was kinda cute, but also 11 years old you sick fuck!
>>
>>44234116
They added the Abomination class, and some balance changes. The class is an amazing frontliner, as long as you dont mind loading your party with stress.
>>
>>44235057
>11 years old
>in jail since
>>44235252
People found out anyway Natsumi Tsuji because they put her drawings on the news with her moon rune signature.
>>
>>44235112
>It's way simplified compared to American football.
>played neither by foot, nor with a ball
>bribery is everpresent
>cheating is everpresent
>just disabling the other team's key players is valid strategy
>following of fandom is cult-like
>both participants and fans love their weapons
it's EXACTLY like American football
>>
>>44206474
I can fit a lot more pixels than that on my screen.
>>
>>44206626
>Good roleplaying games are about getting bigger stats and killing bigger things.
That's literally not a roleplaying game.
>>
>>44234183
Because it's aggressively mediocre.
>>
>>44235348
>bribery is everpresent
>cheating is everpresent
Not compared to European football.
>just disabling the other team's key players is valid strategy
Are you sure you're not thinking of hockey?

And the actual rules of the game are simplified, You don't worry about downs or positions. You don't count yards. You don't do anything really, except the most fundamental core of the game.
>>
File: 1449331024329.jpg (260KB, 1280x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1449331024329.jpg
260KB, 1280x1071px
Working on a first person point-and-click game which I've come pretty far with. Thinking of making a turn based tactics/roguelike as a side project.

Any suggestions on elements from tabletop rpgs rarely seen in video games that you think would be cool in them?
>>
File: 1333944384459.jpg (1MB, 1873x2631px) Image search: [Google]
1333944384459.jpg
1MB, 1873x2631px
None of you play SMT games? I look forward to the day /tg/, /m/, and /co/ try to kill each other.
>>
Witcher has eaten up way too much of my time for me not to recommend it.
I don't know what kind of a shit storm it caused on /v/, but that game definitely deserved GOTY
>>
>>44235999
I don't speak moonrunes
>>
>>44235348
>cheating is ever-present

this isn't soccer yurofriend
>>
>>44223913
people still play runescape
doesn't make it good
>>
>>44206278
as much as i love mandate of heaven
i think 7 is better, better progression but it looked worse
>>
>>44234183
>>44235634
Yeah Banner Saga was a disappointment.
>>
>>44206555
I'm pretty sure it's technically a really big lake. Also yeah Sunless Sea is pretty great, can't wait to start my campaign set in it. We should really have some generals on Sunless Sea/Fallen London.
>>
>>44235525
CRPGs and tabletop RPGs aren't the same thing, and no video game can give you the same experience as a tabletop RPG as that is dependant on other people, not game mechanics, and yet it is a video gane genre, which means that it has to have some mechanical characteristics to differentiate it from other types of games.

As such some of the things I believe to be characteristic of CRPGs are
>stats
Characters and items in CRPGs have them and then can often be increased through xp gain.
>character skill > player skill
One of the things that differentiates a CRPG from an action game is that in the former your own reflexes and dexterity don't matter, either at all or at least not as much as your characters stats.
>dialogue trees
Because choice & consequence are important to the game experience.
>>
>Ctrl F Jade Empire
>Phrase not found

Anyway, Jade Empire.
>>
File: Untitled.png (51KB, 639x481px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
51KB, 639x481px
Embric of Wulfhammer’s Castle
>>
File: 1433379451648.png (691KB, 1152x651px) Image search: [Google]
1433379451648.png
691KB, 1152x651px
>>44234724
Or Based Mamexi if Warsword.
>>
File: 1433118857306.jpg (120KB, 323x454px) Image search: [Google]
1433118857306.jpg
120KB, 323x454px
>>44206427
>actually admitting to being a horseshitter
>>
Nobody here's mentioned Space Marine, the best space marine simulator to date?
>>
>>44208699
Yeah? How do you feel they are messing with it?
>>
KOTOR 1 is hilariously cliche and badly balanced. KOTOR 2 is a whiny SW hater's ham-fisted "deconstruction", which is also badly balanced and buggy to top it off. Don't know why people keep recommending these games
>>
File: warren_spector.jpg (267KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
warren_spector.jpg
267KB, 540x540px
All videogame difficulty should be a direct test of player skill, whether it's a test of reflects that action games provide, a test of wit that strategy games provide, or a test of abstract thinking that puzzle games provide. The ability to read a wiki or the ability to have a lot of time on your hands and lower the difficulty through grinding should not be a something good games should test for.

A good RPG should be about emulating the experience of a good tabletop adventure, NOT the mechanics of it. Tabletop RPGs and their rules are intended specifically to provide an interface for players to interact with a world with the brain behind the interface being a human brain, a GM. A computer can not think like a human, therefore attempting to cram that same interface to be used with computer logic is a massive waste of effort.

If you give me a 3d world to interact with I should be able to interact with that world.
>>
>>44246571

Lol, no. You can play all Str or all Dex or all Cha/Wis and still come out whooping on Malak. And it's based on D20 and plays very much like one would expect 4e to play.

As far as /tg/ is concerned, it's pretty damn good. Technical quality is just fine - if it's not your cup of tea, that's fine.
>>
>>44244178
Lack of optimization for the PC ruined what could have been a glorious multiplayer experience.

>no dedicated servers

When has anyone ever thought this was a good idea on the PC?
>>
>>44199985
>XCOM
>not X-COM
>>
>>44246571
Lucas, pls. Stop being jealous that other people can tell more interesting stories with Mickey Mouses' IP than you.
>>
>>44213962
Are you me? Quincy on Tough Guy mode is a bitch to play...
>>
>>44223913
Most nwn servers still up are bad, full of cliques that can't let go. Honestly it is better to let the online side die at this point, still a lot of quality sp stuff if you can find it though,
>>
>>44247459
Well, I mostly have a plan how to make it through, step by step - predominantly relying on stealth to get in the positions then switching everyone to Aggressive and dropping the opposition before they can do shit. But there's couple parts that rely on enemy not getting crit on the hostage with the first shot or stray bullet not hitting the explosives... which so far happened rather consistently.
>>
>>44235330
>as long as you dont mind loading your party with stress.
Just back him up with two Houndmasters for stress heals and an Arbalest/Plague Doctor for regular heals and you're unstoppable.
>>
>>44247664
I'm working on a Arb/Hound/?/Leper, but I'm not sure what to put in that last spot. I had wanted to do an Ab, but he can't be there, and I wanted another class with a self heal, of which there are few. Maybe a Gravedigger and just give her all the dodge and hope she doesn't get hit?
>>
>>44247816
I'd go Crusader for extra heals and more reliable damage or Bounty Hunter for stun locks and his chain hook attacks.
>>
>>44235999
>>44236417
most if not all of these are translated into english
>>
>>44247044

Why not both?
>>
>>44248095
they are good in different ways, but X-COM and Xenonauts are more /tg/ than XCOM
>>
>>44234267
>'04
>11
Oh wow, she must be so youn-
>exactly my age
What.
>>
>>44248353

I don't know, the amount I found myself compulsively giving my XCOM soldiers backstories was pretty /tg/.
>>
No mention of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Beloved vidya across so many boards?
>>
>>44206672
Nobody has/wants a PS4, so we're just waiting for DS3. Shame though, looks like a great game.
>>
>>44249901
It's listed here
>>44206398
>>
>>44247058
>Forced moral ambiguity with zero precedent earlier in the franchise
>Interesting
You sound like a GRRM reader "Good and Evil is so boring maaaaan! In my fantasy worlds, everyone is an asshole!"
>>
>>44250864

God forbid some actually interesting conflicts in a fantasy world.
>>
File: original.jpg (291KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
291KB, 1600x1200px
Overlord and it's sequel are pretty /tg/ imo. It's basically evil pikmin and the humor is not too bad.
>>
>>44200087
Preach
>>
File: 1448694037116.jpg (89KB, 698x840px) Image search: [Google]
1448694037116.jpg
89KB, 698x840px
>tfw there are people not knowing Nevada-tan
>tfw they are not called newfags
Just kill me
>>
>>44201156
If you're losing to ten men with an army that large then you're doing one or two things wrong:
>not upgrading your troops
>dying early in combat
There is honestly only one thing I can tell you if either of these is your problem, and that's to git gud.
>>
>>44201558
Holy shit possibly the toughest foe in the entire game
>>
File: giggle.jpg (40KB, 310x250px) Image search: [Google]
giggle.jpg
40KB, 310x250px
>>44206398
>minecraft
>>
I am shocked... SHOCKED that there is no mention of Vermintide.
Lore friendly Left4Dead clone, based on the end times. Used to be buggy, but not lately.
>>
File: header.jpg (31KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
31KB, 460x215px
Brutal Goddamn Legend

>>44251442
Overlord 3 never
>>
>>44253432
I've heard rumor that a third is being made. Even after the questionable quality of some of the other titles in the franchise.
>>
>>44250864
I won't say moral ambiguity makes all properties better. That'd be silly. There's a lot of fun stories with gallant good guys and vicious bad guys, and shit.

Star Wars isn't one of those stories that does it well. Moral Ambiguity made it in particular better.
>>
>>44253514
SWTOR has it's moments in which the story is fairly well improved thanks to the sides not being all that clear cut good/evil. Especially in the case of playing as a LS SW.
>>
A Bard's Tale should be somewhere on a /tg/ list. If anything, it's a vidya version of tropes topics.
>>
>>44250864
I love moral ambiguity, but mostly when everyone is NOT an asshole. Everyone is just trying to do what they think is the right thing and sometimes the right thing is really hard to see and you end up being a part of the group that blows up a planet. I'm sure most of the people employed by the Empire were just trying to feed their families, really the only evil people were the ones at the top, the Emperor and Vader. The Emperor is basically a kid who sees the world as toys so he's evil in the sense that he's just fucking crazy and loves his job, and Vader is only evil because he's the Emperor's bitch.
>>
Serpent in the staglands has been fucking amazing
>>
This War Of Mine
The Suffering: Prison is Hell
A Bard's Tale
Wasteland
Scarlet Blade
Thread posts: 299
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.