[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Azathoth and POWAH

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: Azathoth.jpg (91KB, 407x550px) Image search: [Google]
Azathoth.jpg
91KB, 407x550px
So, /tg/ I'm a writerfag. Or at least I used to be. I've been trying to get back into with by posting snippets on here and Questing.

Anyway, I wanted your option on something.

Azathoth, as many of you know, is the biggest, baddest God there is. (I think.) He birthed the Universe by accident and sits at the center of infinity, sleeping soundly to the tune of lesser Gods that dance around him in mindless chaos, spewing off unspeakable horrors with out even meaning to. The only being that truly grasps at what Azathoth even is, or wants, is Nyarlathotep, his messenger, aid, and Number Two. (I think. Depends on what you are reading I guess)

Back to my original point, the story I've been writing for a long while centers around a figure who stopped Azathoth from entering his world, at the cost of his own life, and the lives of millions of others. How ever, Azathoth spewed off some horrors before leaving that sets the stage for the story.
The MC stepping up to the plate to stop the Horrors that are now waking up thousands of years later from destroying the world.

My question being
Does that sound bull shit?
>>
>Azathoth spewed off some horrors before leaving
I thought he was never summoned?
>>
>>44183226
Azathoth is omnipotent, and Yibb-Tstll is supposed to be omniscient but I believe Yog-Sothoth is supposed to be yet more powerful than both of them.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>44183375
Sorry, I wasn't descriptive enough. Something I've been working of.
Anyway, Its like, there was a huge fucking hole in the sky and Azathoth was on the other side. Asleep, mind you. Most likely with Nyarlathotep standing on our side ready to greet him.
>>
File: Yog-Sothoth_couleur.jpg (54KB, 413x550px) Image search: [Google]
Yog-Sothoth_couleur.jpg
54KB, 413x550px
regardless of who is the strongest in Lovecraft canon, Azathoth is the strongest in this story.
>>
File: 1446401031806.jpg (41KB, 520x536px)
1446401031806.jpg
41KB, 520x536px
>>44183226
Well, Azathoth doesn't exist, so you can really do what you want.

That said, he's sometimes portrayed as a god whose dreams form the basis of reality-a cosmic keystone that causes our universe to exist by lucky chance while he sleeps. Which is hopefully forever.

Nyarlathotep is usually the guy who comes around mucking things up for people, or the King In Yellow, or Shub-Niggurath, or what have you. To ascribe action and intent to Azathoth is a little bit out of tradition.

Again though, Azathoth doesn't exist, and it's not like there's a set canon on these things or anything. A lot of people don't know about it either, so you could tell them anything and they'd go for it.
>>
>>44183492
Well, if Lovecraft lore is anything, its flexible. Mostly because no one really understands it.
Accept maybe Cthulhu.
>>
File: kzMBZWv.gif (438KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
kzMBZWv.gif
438KB, 500x500px
>>44183522
Having like a dozen writers over the years will do that to you.
>>44183419
Aha, that's a bit more descriptive. Well, that's perfectly in line with what "canon" I know of lovecraft (mostly gained through clark ashton smith, I read like all of his things). Azathoth is asleep but being anywhere near him is BAD NEWS; Nyarlathotep is some dick who keeps running around messing with people.

So yeah, go for it.
>>
>>44183581
Well the character is question, the one who closes the hole in the sky shut, is meant to be an extremely powerful magic user. Like, bending the world to my will kinda powerful.
The idea is while he dies, the power he wields is passed on.
Like reincarnation, only with power instead of that whole 'visions of my past life' bit. Thats where the new MC comes into.

The main antagonist is this demonic bell thing thats suppose to ring and wake up all the other Horrors around the world.
>>
I don't think you appreciate the scale that ol' Azy operates on.

Azathoth is less of a character and more of a force of nature that operates on a truly unimaginable level. That's its shtick. It has no desire to enter this world - this world is so utterly beneath its notice that it has absolutely no reason to want or need to be. Its like you wanting to enter a carbon atom. The reason that all those lesser gods dance around trying to keep it asleep is because even the gentle stirings of a sleeping Azathoth are enough to threaten not just reality and existence as we know it, but reality and existence as understood by beings so far beyond our ken that to even consider them drives men to madness. Azathoth is a cosmic horrors to even the other cosmic horrors.

Its my understanding that Nyarlethotep is the living will of Azathoth, which I had always taken to be something like a component soul
from Exalted. He's a part of Azathoth, but he has agency of his own. He's also a complete asshole. While most cosmic horrors consider you as lower than an ant and ignore you, Nyarlethotep is the kinda of guy who likes to pull the legs off the ant and see what happens. Curiously, he generally tries to ensure that the affairs of the gods are in order. Personally, I take this to mean that even he is afraid of what would happen if Azathoth wakes up, since he seems to be enjoying his time in the world.

So, the long and short of it is that Azathoth is generally not confronted -- it is alluded to in hushed tones. It is a reminder that humanities few victories, costly though they are, are ultimately shallow and short lived. No matter how great the threat a protagonist defeats, its still just a small fish in a very big pond, and next time we won't be so lucky. Ultimately it is only our insignificance that protects us, and we just have to hold out what little hope we can muster that the things beyond the doorstep continue to pass us by.

Does that help?
>>
>>44183888
nice trips

and yes it does.

This is why I always come to /tg/ for writing advice.

Anything else to add, anons?
>>
>>44183522
Not it has a basic understanding.

Yog-Sothoth is the most powerful, hands down. Lovecraft actually intended to call his work relating to the fiction as "Yog-Sothothery" and probably wouldn't appreciate Cthulhu being the big mascot. Yog-Sothoth is omnipresent, omniscient, and possibly omnipotent. He also exists outside of existence along with existing inside of it. Yog-Sothoth simply -is-. In truth he's quite similar to an apathetic version of the Catholic view of god, omnipotent and omnipresent, but neither benevolent or malevolent. Yog-Sothoth may respond to the calls of mortals, but so great is his being that exposure will probably drive you mad, and any knowledge he gifts will likely be so immense that it destroys you.

Azathoth is the mindless center of reality who creates reality with his dreams in his sleep. Like Yoggy he is neither benevolent or malevolent, simply is, and isn't much of a character as Yog-Sothoth as most actions are carried out by his spawn.

Nyarlathotep is essentially the hermes to Azathoth's court, he is his messenger and herald of chaos. Nyarlathotep, unlike all the other Outer Gods, is a completely malevolent cunt who is completely aware of humanity and human suffering, and he loves our suffering and hates our species. He seems to spend most of his existence trolling us and spreading madness, and will eventually destroy the human race by blowing up the Moon and Earth.

The Great Old Ones, despite all the fame they receive from pop culture, mean nothing in Lovecraft and are just as fucked as humanity if one of the Gods decides to fuck their shit up. They're just the spawn of the gods, removed several times, who muck around doing their own shit. Cthulhu's a cunt, but Dagon at least doesn't seem to be downright malevolent.
>>
>>44184016
*no it has.

I really hate my own mind. It's like I have iPhone auto correct software running in my brain.
>>
File: Shield.png (118KB, 286x271px) Image search: [Google]
Shield.png
118KB, 286x271px
>>44184042
I know how you feel, I do that same kinda shit

>>44184016
Is the idea of a supposed 'Shield' against the chaos to far?
>>
>>44184089
Yes. Considering the Chaos is absolute, there's no source of power to defend against it. This is why most fictions involving people fighting Eldritch Abominations limit themselves to Great Old Ones like Dagon or Cthulhu- you can force those guys to resume their nap even if they can't physically die. Azathoth? Yog-Sothoth? An ant has no quarrel with a point blank nuclear bomb.
>>
>>44184136
I think I have found my answer.
>>
>>44183619
'Magic' in Lovecraft tends to come at a great and terrible price, and on top of that really isn't really very powerful at all, especially when weilded by tiny squishy human brains. Its like trying to render video on a graphing calculator. You can get some approximation of what your going for, but its not good and the thing clearly wasn't designed for it and you'll probably end up breaking your calculator trying to get it working. 'Magic' in lovecraft is also mostly, like, 5th dimensional science and shit. Incredibly advanced, utterly alien, and impossible for human minds to comprehend (much less use) without going mad.

The things that can fuck around with the fundamental forces in a way your describing tend to be absurdly crazy-ass beings from beyond the stars who exist in ways you can't begin to understand.

So like, for someone who had that level of power, they'd have to - i don't know - have the soul of a godspawn or something, and even then there body and sanity wouldn't be able to handle that very well at all, and they certainly wouldn't be siding with humanity when it came right down to it. Like, Cthulhu's mere dreaming causes world-wide madness and he's not even that powerful. Imagine what would happen if a real player showed up.
>>
>>44184186
well the story I'm writing is like High Fantasy.
Mages and elves and Golems
all that fun bull shit
and then one day shit hits the fan
>>
>>44184136
Yeah, basically, you stop someone setting off the bomb. Or everything gets fucked and you start a new oneshot/campaign.

You shouldn't walk into it as a campaign thing lightly, because if it really happens, that's kind of it.

Luckily, it doesn't potentially happen, for Reasons. (Anyone who worships them is crazy and disorganized, there aren't actually that many spells anyone can even get that would do that, people who have them, aren't that crazy, it's really really hard, etc.)

But if the right person got it and went under the radar for long enough....

Well. Pc's.

But then Delta Green for instance, is about "we trawl around for guys like this potentially some too. Let's punk them before they get TOO dangerous". Or "well, they somehow evaded us in the fog of all the other fuckers. You will now commence a suicide mission to stop the Cultists. God Help you. We'll know if you fail fairly shortly".
>>
Isn't Azazoth a gibbering retard kept asleep by flute playing ayylmaos dooting away so he doesn't wake up and hulk out?
>>
>>44184210
Yes, and he's terrifying.
>>
For some perspective on what one of the weakest Outer Gods does OP, this is Lovecraft's "Nyarlathotep".

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/n.aspx

What a cunt.
>>
>>44184210
If 'dooting ayylmaos' are horrifying monsters beyond the scope of human understanding, yes.
>>
>>44184208
Well it's mainly Azathoth that does the apocalypse stuff. Yoggy is fully cognizant and awake, and does interact with people from time to time. The problem being that he tends to turn those people into gibbering lunatics in turn for enlightenment.
>>
File: chen.jpg (46KB, 300x442px) Image search: [Google]
chen.jpg
46KB, 300x442px
>>44183416
>Azathoth is omnipotent
>Yog-Sothoth is supposed to be yet more powerful
>more powerful than omnipotence
Fucking eldritch abominations and their autism-triggering literal nonsense. I swear to fucking god.
>>
File: Dreams of Dagon.jpg (125KB, 500x685px) Image search: [Google]
Dreams of Dagon.jpg
125KB, 500x685px
>>44184136

Aren't Dagon and Mother Hydra just really big Deep Ones, and therefor totally killable via conventional weaponry? I always viewed them as being more like low-Godzilla-tier kaiju at best, just worshiped as gods by their Deep One children. They're certainly several orders of magnitude below Cthulhu, by my understanding.
>>
>>44184253
They look easy enough to understand. Look at that lil nigga in the OP, bottom left. He going ham on that eldritch flute solo.
>>
>>44184350
Lovecraft's universe is actually one of the earliest true multi-verses in fiction. There is no singular universe, for there are an infinite amount of alternate universes and dimensions. The horror of the gods is that they extend through everything, they are everything: their size is infinite. What you see when you stare at Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, or even Cthulhu isn't the entire animal. You're basically looking at the tip of an iceberg, and below the tip cresting the ocean is a behemoth that spirals on for infinity.

This is probably why humans go insane from exposure, because to witness the likes of Yog-Sothoth is to stare infinity in the eye, which causes the human mind to break down.
>>
>>44184264
But that is the point anon. It is all mindless insanity of chaotic horror. To try to understand it will lead only to madness.
>>
>>44184304
Your probably right but it's impossible to know.
>>
>>44183226
DON'T DO IT

TURN BACK

ENJOY YOUR IGNORANCE, RELISH YOUR NAIVETY, FOR IT IS A SHIELD TO PROTECT YOUR MIND FROM THE INSANITY OF EXISTENCE. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE FOOLS WHO CHASE ENLIGHTENMENT- KNOWLEDGE IS THE ONLY TRUE DAMNATION IN THE UNIVERSE, FOR FROM IT THERE IS NO RETURN, ONLY DEPRESSION AND INSANITY AWAIT YOU IF YOU CONTINUE DOWN THIS PATH.

GO BACK TO YOUR HOMES, CAST THIS FOOLISH QUEST FROM YOUR MINDS AND BANISH THE LUST FOR UNDERSTANDING LEST YOU FIND YOURSELF CHASING THE ALLURING FLUTISTS OF THE MAD GOD ONCE MORE.

RETURN TO YOUR FALSE GODS AND FALSE IDOLS, HUG THEM CLOSE TO YOUR BREAST AND PRAISE THEM FERVENTLY, FOR ALTHOUGH THEIR EXISTENCE MAY BE FALSE THEIR WORSHIP WILL STEEL YOUR FLESH FROM THE HORRORS OF THE TRUTH OF OUR EXISTENCE.

DO NOT DAMN YOURSELF, I BEG OF THEE. TURN AND FLEE IF YOU WISH TO STILL CLAIM OWNERSHIP OF YOUR MIND AND NOT LOSE YOURSELF TO INSANITY. DO NOT REPEAT MY PATH OF SIN, FOR ALTHOUGH I AM LOST I MAY YET SAVE ANOTHER.
>>
>>44183226
Yes it does.

It makes no sense to approach the Mythos from a worldbuilding perspective. You have to some from a situation, an individual experience, with all the uncertainties and unreliable sources that entails. What goes on beyond human perception is only implied and speculated about. It is not how you start a story, it is how you end it.
>>
>>44184264
The point made by this is that while Azathoth is more powerful, Yog-Sothoth is essentually the jail and the jailer. He knows when Azathoth is going to awaken and even planned for his eventual release. It's been implied that Azathoth has almost woken up a few times (Most notably in At the Mountains of Madness) but Yoggy being the embodiment of endless time and space beyond space has warped events so that his return is delayed that much longer.

Randolph Carter also factors into this and was in transition to becoming something greater, the champion of Yogg-Sothoth since gods love them sum champions. What it was for, though, was never discovered because ol' Howard Philip Lovecraft died of the cancer before he could finish his stories.
>>
>>44185328
The problem is stories got perverted by authors who didn't entirely get what lovecraft was going for so now you got some outters and old ones with actual understandable intent which lovecraft stated outright is something that will be forever impossible with our tiny 3rd dimensionsl brains to understand. Which leads to guys like
>>44184457
That have this fucked idea that madness comes straight from the gods where in all of lovecrafts works madness was from knowledge gained of humanities situation or pressure of current circumstances or infected by an alien entity but actually seeing an old god has never lead to madness. visions and knowledge FROM eldritch shit has done people in but people have stared cthulhu in the eyes, rammed his head in with a boat and lived to sanely tell the tale. As much of a dick he's being about it
>>44184350
Had the right of it.
>>
>>44183888
I would add that I would still consider it to be fully within Lovecraftian "canon" for somebody (especially Nyarlthotep, being the colossal dick as he is) to attempt to "summon" Azatoth to fuck up the world. Not so much summon like you'd do a demon or a lesser god, but open a hole in reality in the general vicinity, and let a tiny part of Azatoth tooze through, or just have everything atomized by being in his general presence. It's implied that Nyarlathotep does just that in Lovecraft's Fungi From Yuggoth (the sonnet):
"The ground was cleft, and mad auroras rolled
Down on the quaking citadels of man.
Then, crushing what he chanced to mould in play,
The idiot Chaos blew Earth’s dust away."

>>44184264
Azatoth is omnipotent (everything that exists is his dream, so he cna theoretically do anything in the dream), but also completely midnless. Yibb-Tstll (not actually one Lovecraft's own inventions, and a god I've always found a bit redundant with Yog-Sothot being around) can see everythign that is happening right now (and thus, Laplace's Demon-stly presumably predict exactly what will happen next), making him omniscient. But Yog-Sothot exists at eveyr point in space and time simultaneously (or more accurately, every point in space and time exists in Yog-Sothot), meaning he can see everything that ever did, does and will occur in any possible past and future, and can alter reality by altering the timeline, making him more omniscient that Yibb-Tstll and technically more omnipotent that Azatoth (as he actually has enough agency to do something).
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.