[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

races breaking the norm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 17

File: no take candle.jpg (34KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
no take candle.jpg
34KB, 500x425px
Kobolds went from goblin imp things into rats into draconic fodder,
orks went from deformed humans, to pig people, to tusked giants

Why doesnt your setting put a twist on some established and frankly boring races

>Elves
instead of hitlers funland of having everyone tall, white blue eyed and blonde in my setting elves are only humanoid in shape
Tall, youthful, pointed ears and straight hair, soft smooth skin that can change colour ranging from blue to red, usually like a mood-ring adjusting to body temp, They are adept at magic from birth and are essentially immortal, if a little fragile. along with their long life they are slow to regenerate but can regenerate entire limbs.
>>
File: K.jpg (19KB, 236x218px) Image search: [Google]
K.jpg
19KB, 236x218px
Why not try Reverse-Vampires?

> Need to be in constant light to survive.
> Scared of blood.
> Completely vegan and will pester you about it.
> Sleep in baby cots.
> Turn into mackeral.
> Somehow have seriously good skin.
> Incisor teeth are just an extra pair of molar.
>>
>>44180875
other than the mackeral sounds like arun of the mill hippie.
>>
humans instead of being the template and every other thing being humanoid, humans are a gross bipedal offshoot of a weird fleshy dragon and dragons are the template
>>
>>44180875
So Plant-people? Need sun light to live, herbivore teeth...
>>
>>44180264
drow in my setting. they're druggie nature hippies who frolic in the woods. favoured class is barbarian/ranger. they still fuck the shit out of each other and orgasm from dead babies though.
>>
>>44180264
I try to when I use them. But I'm also fond of using more obscure and underutilized races in my settings. Like Trolls, Gremlins, Troglodytes, or Korrigans. More blank space to fill in from the start so you don't have to keep explaining why your dwarves are teetotalers or your elves are beardy lumberjacks.
>>
>>44183014
Well i usually play off the pre-assumptions of races, elves are youthful and magic, dwarves are short and bearded earthy people
so when people encounter them they can be like okay i guess that's a dwarf.

of course theres always gonna be those people that are so afraid of change that they want you to make an entirely new race if you're gonna change something, and then wont be satisfied cause you could have just made them vanilla dwarves instead of tacking a new name and putting them on canadian shield like climates.
>>
>>44181495
Pretty much, though they have some other kooky abilities to distinguish them from your average Poison Ivy.
>>
>>44183014
>Korrigans
I love having a race of korrigans.
>>
>>44183101
True that.

My favorite elf design twist was them as a race of total con-artists, who were just as mortal as humanity, but use magic, alchemy, and smoke and mirrors to pretend they're all long-lived eternally youthful and incredibly sexy. Drow for this setting were a group of elves that rebel against that system of glamours and debauchery, and are more often homely or hideous, but also less foppish and more practical and brutish.

My favorite dwarf design keeps getting reused, but it's basically just mashing them together with halflings and gnomes because I don't like having too many midget races. I otherwise keep their race traits standard, but mix and match them so you can have plenty of roguish thief dwarves underground and plenty of stalwart drunken halflings on the surface, etc.

Orks, goblins, ogres, trolls and the like I try to keep as the Tolkien standard of corrupted evil monsters. I'm over adaptations that turn them into the honorabu Horde from Warcraft.

Kobolds keep trying to fuck humans for some reason they're not even sure of. Probably to be more like their dragon overlords.
>>
File: Kerrigan Booty.jpg (422KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Kerrigan Booty.jpg
422KB, 2560x1440px
>>44183205
They're actually (yet another) Cornish goblin fairy. But a race of Kerrigan would be blandly intoxicating. Unf.
>>
>>44183366
Blizzard really needs to stop pretending and just make H-Games already.
>>
File: 10hnjv8.gif (13KB, 879x380px) Image search: [Google]
10hnjv8.gif
13KB, 879x380px
>>44183324
I am fond of the rat like kobolds featured in Dwarf fortress, basically a mash of rpg kobolds and halflings, near invisible when stealthing and thieving little shits living in hovels but despite owning hoards of goods in their villages they rarely band together and make honest civilizations.
>>
Racewise in my setting I've got:

Nedelves, which are basically city elves from Dragon Age but more assimilated

Merelves, which are a bohemian, almost tropical seafaring race with blue skim and vibrantly coloured hair

Dulkelves, which are grey skinned, hearty and boisterous people inspired by Celts/Nords

Nagaki, which are hulking, ocean dwelling stoic lizardmen halfway between Buddhist monks and ancient greece

Halflings, basically ancient Greeks but more buildy than fighty and visually Hobbits.

Arenians, human sized people that superficially resemble dragons minus the wings and tail, and are very group minded

Ken Yu, nomadic cat people that are still quadripedal and pride oriented; only the rare alpha male or female can stand on two legs. They are still intelligent, but their culture seems primitive to most.

Half-Orcs, slightly greenish tough skin, large incisors but otherwise look mostly human due to 1500 odd years of the original race being bred out of existence. They're basically human in everything but name now.

Ayikke, semi-nomadic polarbear folk that use tools etc, but eschew weapons and for the greater part, bipedal locomotion. They are quiet and gentle.

Dwarves, mysterious Communists that no one has had major contact with in hundreds of years.

Humans, the majority in some western/central lands, otherwise aren't overly common elsewhere.
>>
File: 1442082527975.gif (685KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1442082527975.gif
685KB, 500x500px
Gods and deities are physical and relatable to an extent but only because they like the aesthetic of physicality, their natural form is pure spirit and if they chose to they could make mortals go blind glimpsing at them
>>
>>44183528
did you pull an elderscrolls and have the dwarves extinct mysteriously despite their superior tech?
>>
>>44180264

Dwarves: Crafted by their gods from stone and clay, and brought to life through fire in the holy kiln (a volcano Dwarves hold sacred). They begin life soft and fleshy, and as they grow older, they gradually petrify, eventually becoming statues in death. Families try to appease their ancestors by maintaining the statues and keeping them well preserved in beautifully crafted deathmounds. Those who brought shame have their statues shattered or defaced, and those who fell in battle have their pieces carefully bound back together with precious metals. New dwarves are forged from sacred ores and crystals mined from deep within the earth, brought to the holy kiln, and cast in its fire by the gods.

Elves: Ethereal beings with weak ties to this world. Like a litch, their soul is bound to this plane by a phylactery of sorts. Sacred places, full of life and vigor bridge the gap to the faewild, allowing them to filter into the world. Should such sacred places fall, so too do the elves' bond with this reality.

Orcs: Beastmen with an emphasis on beast. They are monsterous, possessing snouts, tails, and all the good temperament of a rabid dog. At best they work in packs of a few dozen. Many are lone hunters. The brighter ones use primitive weapons and armor, the rest rely on brute strength and an unholy healing factor. They can walk away from nearly anything short of decapitation.

Kobold: Physically frail, but spiritually powerful. They worship dragons as living gods, and gain power through earning the favor of elder wyrms. They are cold blooded, near sighted, and clumsy on their own, but their ability to tame lesser drakes and channel the power of greater dragons makes them one of the most feared civilizations of the age.
>>
>elves are see-through glowing 3-armed beings that make a lot of music and play it on electric fish instruments

>dwarves came from space in a meteorite and are now obsessed with finding a way back to the stars, they grow beard fur all over their bodies except their hands which have like a million fingers each, also they live in hives

>orcs are made of wood and can't move fast at all, but they get high on being set on fire and stuff

>humans are the clear physical pinnacles of the planet, capable of fucking up nearly everything else, except they are clinically retarded and have difficulty even forming simple tribes

>dragons are dream monsters that only exist on the neural plane

>magic is tied to money, you literally have to pay the gods every time you want to use a spell

>setting is on an inside-out world, with a few holes to the barren, pock-marked outer shell

>gnome/hobbit/shortstacks are exactly 3 feet tall, have featureless faces, and all are shaped exactly the same, seem to communicate telepathically, industrious as fuck, always fighting dem mind dragons

>giants have dark skin, dis-proportionally long limbs, bald, and wear baggy clothing, each tribe has a sacred Rock that they carry around, it is red-hot so they have to keep on passing it to eachother or bouncing it along the ground

>lizardfolk are the scribes of the world, always notating everything and storing all their knowledge in vast monestaries, very religious, also have smokin' hot asses
>>
>>44183566
>despite their superior tech
or perhaps because of it
>>
>>44183566
Their tech wasn't actually superior.

I had a player want to play a dwarf when the setting was still coming together, I told him I didn't have any room for dwarves, so he suggested secretive underground communists that rarely escape their pseudo stalinist life.
>>
>>44183773
so instead of the elder scrolls you want to pull a "they dug too deep" storyline.

i aint bashing either storyline but dwarves have been done to hell.
>>
>>44183815
Oh no, I meant the Dwemer's technology might have led to their disappearance. I don't know anything about that anon's dwarves.
>>
>>44183380
I find it hilarious, remembering to back in the day when Blizzard was praised for the fact they weren't doing the "Huge titties on every female" thing that every other game company did, when it was quite clear that it was simply because the guys at Blizzard are assmen.
>>
I've changed Elves to beings of draconic descent, with wyverns being essentially elves with scales and fangs, with draconic abilities. Full-blooded dragons are revered as living gods, therefore the rarity of elves is high, and wyverns are practically legendary.
>>
>>44183760
I'd actually consider playing this, kekd several times
>>
>>44183537

So, every religion ever.
>>
>>44183760
you made giants into NBA players

you fucking racist
>>
>>44180264
>>44183537
both posts from my homebrew setting, most races can interbreed and its magic so genetics go out the window and this happens.
Humans and dragons are what you'd imagine, and Great Beasts are the most varied, large race with extremely exaggerated features that vary from person to person
>>
>>44183929
pretty much except for the majority or tabletop games, those gotta make the gods have a throne and a sex and legs and shit, fuck that.
>>
File: race penta.png (22KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
race penta.png
22KB, 800x1000px
>>44183998
forgot pic
>>
>>44184031
How the fuck do you read that.
>>
>>44180264
I personally think fallen london did the ratfolk pretty well. A race of small and hunted folk who apparently can be used to make some pretty damn fine coats, but are also very creative at construction. When they decide to raid a house for food or supplies they do so with military effectiveness, and they're tenacious enough that many people opt to either bribe them off, move out, or burn the entire damn place to the ground to avoid having to deal with the trouble. Alternatively there are some very expensive professionals who can handle them.

They are known for there skills with producing small very high quality devices such as pistols and pocketwatches, and also make very terrifying assassins, thieves, and merceneries.
>>
>>44184086
the graph? make a line between two races and the point on the graph is what the child is, the section they fall in are the species they are,
>>
File: Tracer hold on tight.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tracer hold on tight.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>44183841
I have great respect for the company.
>>
File: dwarf2.jpg (216KB, 640x943px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf2.jpg
216KB, 640x943px
>>44180264
>Elves
Taking "fair folk" literally. They're all albinos. They're short and slim, so pretty bad at combat compared to most humans, including archery. They make up for their physical shortcomings by being the most magically attuned race.

>Orcs
I just love Tolkien's orcs too much to change them much.

>Dwarves
Pic related. If you wanna play a short bearded man with an axe, play a short bearded man with an axe, but my dwarves ain't them.

>Humans
I made the humans in my setting the stamina/burn shit down/industrial race instead of the jack-of-all-trades race. They're even better than elves at utilizing "destructive" magics.

>Trolls
I tried to use descriptions of old norse jotuns/giants/trolls, but with more humanoid features. They're really big, 6-8 feet and +250 pounds. Hairy bodies. Predatory looking faces with feliform snouts, large floppy ears, and goatlike horns. The easiest way to describe them is a combination of DnD tieflings and shifters. I wish I could find some decent art to suit them.
>>
File: 1435971296721.jpg (328KB, 1050x812px) Image search: [Google]
1435971296721.jpg
328KB, 1050x812px
>>44184396
Something like this, but more human shaped.
>>
Honestly, I don't even consider it so much "putting a twist" on it as simply bothering to flesh them out at all. If you're bothering to think about how a race fits into your world, you're bound to deviate from the stereotypes here and there.

For instance, elves in my setting have plenty of "twists". I have 4 main subraces: Pompous mad wizard high elves, territorial and xenophobic but honorable dusk elves (a category including both wood elves and subterranean dark elves, ruthless Viking- or pirate-esque sea-raider frost elves, and militaristic horsemaster nomadic elves. All of them have a kind of bitterness and homesickness running through their culture, as they're originally from the faerie plane and still consider that their home, but can't go back because they've become so attuned to the elemental makeup of the material plane that those back in the faerie plane consider them impure and corrupted and thus forbid them entry. They maintain their perepetual youth by entering a rejuvenating fugue state every 100-150 years or so, called the Dreaming. During this time, their bodies are restored to be able to go on remaining youthful, but at the cost of more or less wiping their minds. Basic functional memory sticks (ie, they come out as functional adults with basic life skills), but skills and expertise requiring more deliberate training/study to acquire are lost, and memories of people and events become hazy and indistinct. Memories from an elf's pre-Dreaming life are hard to distinguish from the dreams and hallucinations experienced during the regenerative fugue. This central part of the elven life cycle plays a big role in shaping elven culture and philosophy.

None of that came from deliberately trying to twist stereotypes, but rather just thinking about how elves would fit into the history and themes of my setting (and for the Dreaming, how to avoid issues raised by having centuries-long lifespans to develop skills and so forth).
>>
>>44184506
eyo that's neat. My elves are immortal physically, but also spiritually, in that they're the only race that reincarnates. An elf may meditate in order to gain wisdom from its past lives.
>>
An idea I stole from an anon a long while back was that elves always wore masks. I'm afraid I forgot most of the details, but the masks held a lot of significance for the elves, more than their own face.

It's literally just slapping masks onto elves, but then you think about the huge effect this has on their culture and what their race is perceived as and how they perceive others.
>>
>>44184568
Funny thing, my elves reincarnate too. (Or at least that's what's taught by elven religion; I'm generally trying for a degree of ambiguity as far as matters of divinity and the afterlife go in this setting.) Elves consider death to be the Grand Dreaming, where body and soul alike are refreshed in a much more profound way than the usual Dreaming.

Past life knowledge would be a totally nonsensical concept to my elves, though, since elven philosophy generally considers reality itself to be inherently hazy and ephemeral, the line between truth and fiction blurry and indistinct, just like an elf's memories are after Dreaming. They consider the events of the past to be no more valid or reliable a source of insight than reading into dreams, omens, mystical visions, and so forth. It's all the same as far as they're concerned. Doesn't much matter to them if it's past, present, or future, actual events or obtuse symbolic representation. Life is just a bunch of dreams within dreams.

Elven histories are downright infuriating to historians of other races, as elves don't really bother trying to distinguish actual fact from legend or flowery literary symbolization. Plus it's usually difficult to pin down dates since they measure their lifespans in terms of number of Dreamings and years since their last Dreaming (and the time between Dreamings can vary substantially), and timing of events is usually noted based on the age of a relevant ruler or other noteworthy figure.
>>
>>44184804
Wasn't the deal with the masks because all elves actually have identical facial features, so the masks are how they define their own individuality in the absence of being naturally visually distinguishable?
>>
File: Orlesians.png (2MB, 1024x1289px) Image search: [Google]
Orlesians.png
2MB, 1024x1289px
>>44184804
>Hon Hon Hon!
>>
>>44184031
>Demi
Demi's have a feeling of self importance to them, if they do form a settlement it will be around a mutual feeling of superiority to the other races. however more Demi's stick it out on their own to become heros, often falling in battle due to hubris. they give off an impressions of charm and politeness but their narcicism makes them about as sociopathic as Fey or Eternal Serpents.

/tg/ does this sound like im a white night neckbeard trying to trash on people who get laid, im not trying to come off as that but i dont know how else to write a godlike sociopathic Demi-god.
>>
>>44180264
My elves are short. Not like midget short, but the height or lack of is accentuated by humans' height, which is 6-7 feet on average for young adults, and they just keep on growing.
>>
>>44180264
I quite like the Lorwyn elves from Magic the gathering as a slightly different elf design. They are mostly traditional, but have horns and hooved feet
>>
>Ogres
Ogres were once the super-disciplined elite troops of the Old Gods' armies. In the modern age, with the Old Gods dead and gone, the remaining ogre fellowships are still extremely militarised and organised, like regiments of massive angry hoplites. Excellent weapons and armour, great at unit-level combat, smart strategists and possessed of some magical and biomechanical capabilities. There aren't many of them left and they tend to live in their own xenophobic enclaves.

>Goblins
In another setting. Goblins are extreme religious zealots of the LN/LG persuasion. Heavily armed and armoured goblin shock troops are the core of the crusading armies, and the equivalent of the Pope is a goblin prophet. Goblins fucking *love* rigid hierarchy and everything in its place; goblin smiths don't turn out the absolute best work, but they produce shitloads of pretty damn good, durable stuff. Goblins are also extremely alchemically mutable - they know various chemical mixtures that can mutate a goblin. As a result, the church has an order of mutated goblin hunter-killers, while elderly goblins enter a 'second stage' of their life cycle by taking alchemical elixirs that turn them into a sexless warrior-caste that is much bigger and burlier than normal goblins (who are pretty strong already despite their height).

Goblins fucking hate elves due to an earlier age's pogroms and elven shenanigans with evil gods, and have enshrined the evilness of elves in the main religion's dogma. Most of the other species also hate elves because of this.
>>
Here are my races. Keep in mind that each race description mostly accounts for the Great House they represent- there are plenty of races living in other areas integrated with other societies. Also they all have different names but I can't be arsed to write them

>Humans live in the northern mountains, have Irish accents, are shorter and more hardy than other races (only by a few inches but the Dwarf jokes stuck)
>Dragonborn live by the western seacost, speak Greek and are the oldest living race, trying to restore their former empire
>Half-Elves live in the bizarrely temperamental northeast, speak with Boston accents, and have a great deal of unexplained phenomena going about their lands- one of which is a Innsmouth analogue
>Wood Elves live in the southeast and have a great deal of arguing over Tradition (live in the woods in isolated communes) and Progressiveness (live in urban cities and get involved in the rest of the continent's affairs)
>Dark Elves lives in the southwestern section and are still rebuilding from a genocidal war on the Humans' part- the spider cults are at an all-time-high now
>Fox-People are based on Scotland , andlive in the northwestern grass fields and were absorbed into the Half-Elves' Great House- a very sore point amongst separatists.

No orientalshit or africanshit because fuck that
>>
Werewolfs
In my Setting their are not cruse but 3 nomadic races living togtheir in the Steps
First are the 4-legged "fast ones":
Their are mostly as big as pony, can smell the best and are riden by humanoid in battle
fight with teeht "duh"
The humanoid, crafty:
look like Humans with Wolfs ears the "the 10% furries"
in battle using bows and lance, also their have dextry and motorik to built things need by the other two races.
The wolfman the strong ones
Look like classic werewolfs.
Are far Stronger than humanoids but way less dextry can take fighters of the most other nations 10 to 1
Are thank fully pretty rare
>>
>>44183760
>humans are the clear physical pinnacles of the planet, capable of fucking up nearly everything else, except they are clinically retarded and have difficulty even forming simple tribes
So every human is a PC?
>>
>>44180264
Kobolds were originally more like gnomes than goblins.
>>
>>44184013
That sounds more like a ghost or a genie.
>>
File: Nilas_offer.jpg (2MB, 2379x2460px) Image search: [Google]
Nilas_offer.jpg
2MB, 2379x2460px
>>44184396
>not using based lord Bauer's trolls
>>
>>44180875
So tumblr activists?
>>
File: Trud troll.jpg (156KB, 755x675px) Image search: [Google]
Trud troll.jpg
156KB, 755x675px
>>44184396
> I wish I could find some decent art to suit them.

Have you checked out Trudvang? It might have some fitting art.
>>
File: 1441755951475.jpg (81KB, 557x637px) Image search: [Google]
1441755951475.jpg
81KB, 557x637px
In my setting, elves lived hedonistic lives high on floating islands, where they worshipped the egg of the pheonix (the sun). The egg hatched, and the elves were forsaken by their god and banished deep into the earth below, where they spent uncounted years. They were eventually unleashed by foolhardy humans digging too deeply, but what arose were no longer elves. They became like Wendigo, pale and feral, kidnapping children for nefarious and unknowable reasons. They also learned to mimic human speech and frequently attempt to lead unwitting humans away from their camps.

Dwarves lived in ornate pyramids, where they worshipped dragons. They sought to capture the majesty of their gods in stone, and discovered a ritual that could petrify any living creature. The dragons caught on, and turned the ritual against the dwarves, turning them into gargoyles. Now, the gargoyles guard their ancient pyramids, and explorers tell that the old statues have glittering gems for eyes that seem to gaze right into your soul.

Goblins, Orcs, and Trolls are all different castes of the same race, and live in port towns far from human settlements. The greenskins are all amphibious, sailing the seas in search of flying whales to hunt. The greenskins worship the dragons as well, but only the trolls are allowed to speak to their gods. Orcs and trolls have tusks of metal, which they use to gore their foes with. Their tusks are also the only metal on this plane that doesn't rust, so is highly sought after by humans.

TL;DR
>roman elves that live on floating islands and worship the sun pheonix, turned into wendigos
>mayan dwarves that lived in pyramids, worshipped dragons and were turned into stone gargoyles
>amphibious pirate orcs with metal tusks that worship dragons, sail the seas hunting for skywhales
>>
>>44180264
Elves in my setting are more or less the same high elves, but they're very warlike, and often act as mercenaries for outside armies. Their superior grace and speed allow them to be incredibly effective in battle, especially with their alliances with one of the Dwarven kingdoms providing superior armor and weaponry and with the most agriculturally rich nation in the world providing supplies.

The rest of the world is terrified of what will happen should they grow discontent with being mere mercenaries and instead decide if they want to run things themselves.
>>
>>44180264
Humans (if they're going to be in it) are some kind of strange cultural-leeches in some sense. They're often referred to as the Patchwork People. I'm not even sure they're all that human in a physical sense so it's kinda weird calling them that.

The Dwarves were more mercantile than war-like and more Chinese than Scottish. Fine wines and cheese, theater, and a church which basically panders to every single faith, because the customer's god is always the True God. All this within their solitary mountain-city (which is now in ruins) in the middle of the desert. There's possibly others beyond the desert, but as of right now they don't exist.

The Elves, instead of nature-loving hippies, are actually quite addicted to industry, to the point where they've polluted their lands and now they all kinda look like Helghast. What caused this change remains a mystery. Not the most original, I know, but whatever.

The orcs are rather varied in appearance. Various shades of green and brown, big and small jaws, pig-like and humanoid, etc. Their history is probably what I've fleshed out the least, especially their relation with the Dwarves before they all died/vanished, but as the setting currently is, most Orcs wander around the desert as nomadic tribes. It's said though that one tribe has settled in the ruins of a great Orc city supposedly built into/below a mountain, and they are trying to uncover it's secrets.
>>
>>44189886
Eh, might as well go with the other races too. Dwarves are pretty much the same, having the same focus on clan based politics as they usually do, hard working, greedy, etc. Nothing special there. They have several kingdoms that all like to argue with one another about whose culture is the most dwarfy, of course.

The orcs are very different, but at the same time not. Orcs are considered violent brutes and all the sensationalism is the general fantasy always evil stuff. The truth is a little more complicated. They are, like the elves, warlike yet have no interest in holding land that isn't their own. They prefer untamed wilderness because orcs prefer the peace and quiet; too much noise and crowding going on around them messes with their instincts for battle, and makes them more angry and violent. This is what leads to their reputation for savagery and cruelty, whereas an orc in their natural habitat generally doesn't fuck with anyone unless they're going on raids. Despite their love of warfare, orcs don't find any extra honor in murdering things, so their raids tend to have a few fatalities but many casualties. Since basic magic healing is widely available (even if most other magic is totally out of the range of even the richest merchant princes), this is usually not an issue. The biggest difference is that, because of their similarities in philosophy and because of how their different tactical styles mesh, orcs and elves get along very well in general, especially since elves, unlike the other races, understand that orcs aren't usually hyper-violent dickwads.

Gnomes and Halflings aren't that special in my setting. Same general "Gnomes craft shit gooder" and "Halflings are relaxed and have vague ideas of morals involving personal property".
>>
>>44184031
So a combination of Dragon,Elves.Gods (I assume) Great Beasts and Humans are mules?
That is not what I expected
>>
No "humans with different proportions" races like elves, dwarves etc. There are humans, and there are lizard-people and bird-people, the latter two having evolved from a common ancestor.

>humans
+con
+magic
+can survive in extreme heat, cold, thin atmosphere
+swimming

>Bird people
+ str
+ int
- magic
- swimming

>Lizard people
+ dex
+ efficient in their natural environment
+ seeing in the dark
+ olfactory system
- int
- str
>>
Harpies.

>gaudy dressed older to Middle Aged women
>seem a little like humanized skexies.
> live in nest like huts on mountains

>"no dear, have another cookie. *Skwark*
Oh you adventurers are so gallant look at you! *pinches paladins cheeks*
>>
In my setting there are;

>bee people
Bee people. Drones, Workers, Queen.
Extremely limited trade with other races, most trusting towards Wood Elves and other Elves.

>Elves
Elves are divided into 5 or so sub species.
High Elves; light complexion and even lighter hair.
High Elves claim to be the originator species, however Wood elves have also claimed this. High Elves live in a giant mountain sized tree, believed to be a young sprout of the next Yggdrasil. High Elves have built up a fortune through trade. Rumor has that the smell of their gold piles are the reason wyverns have been coming out of hibernation early.

Wood Elves; dark tan/light brown in complexion, slightly shorter than High Elves by just a few inches.
Wood Elves, Elves living deep in the magia filled forest. (Magia being a kind of helpful magical radiation). Apparently they know something about the High Elves that the rest of the world doesn't (not just the origin of their species). They attack High Elv caravans and hold a strong grip over their territory. These two civilizations seem to be constantly on the brink of war.

Desert Elves; Orange and tan in complexion: Usually wrapped in ornate cloth to shield themselves from the whipping sand storms that plague their preferred regions.
Desert Elves dwell in the desert. Kind and trustworthy, though they'll swindle you out of all your gold if you aren't careful. Not much to be said other than they have limited contact with the other Elv races. Expect to see many trade caravans if you cross the southern deserts.

Dark Elves are simply elves that have been exposed to the Underdark, or any of the radiation like Dark Magic that fills the air there. (exposure to the Underdark or any of its unearthly contents leads to Underdark corruption, a demonizing ailment that leads to the general evil intentions of its victims, along with physical deformities like change in pigment and the growth of horns.
>>
Trolls: Humans who got the super-soldier treatment in this setting, tall as hell, hulking masses of muscle... and an average lifespan of 50 years. They also have to deal with bad publicity and racist stereotypes forcing them into mercenary work on the fringes of civilization. It's passed on to kids otherwise there would be far fewer of them.

And Dwarves... me and the DM were talking about making the Dwarves weird and well... here's their life cycle.
Spore>Grass>Egg>Humanoid>Tree>Moth(Adult Stage)>Purple Wurm.
They're a fungus, a plant, an animal, and nobody in the setting OR the other players know this cause they stay in tunnels under the desert and tend to kill anyone who grazes at their oasis'... I wonder why.
>>
>>44193609

cont.
The 5th elves in my setting are Blood Rose Elves, (working name) Elves that have been corrupted by a humongous telepathic Blood Rose plant to murder and slaughter. They are used by the plant because of Elves' low resistance to corruption. Murderhobos personified, but a little more chaotic evil. The blood elves dwell inside the twisting and turning vines of the plant, and act as the agents of the plant's hivemind.

>Dwarves

Dwarves are stout and sturdy people, usually featuring small horns on their forehead, white beards, white pupils and irises, and markings on their foreheads. Their horns are gained from prolonged exposure to the Underdark in the mines sprouting off of their underground colonies. Dwarves are seemingly immune to Underdark corruption, so they merely grow stubby horns. It is seen as the mark of being a man in Dwarf culture. Dwarves can survive months without food, water, or a lightsource. Dwarves slowly turn to rock as they age, starting at about 800 years old. In this regard, they are more similar to Elder Trolls than other humanoid races. (funfact: this actually comes from celtic mythology, where trolls said to slowly turn into boulders around the landscape when they died.)

>Kobolds

Kobolds come in many different species, but the two most prominent are cultist kobolds, and wandering cobolds. (Fun fact: the name of the metal "cobalt" comes from Kobold, because medieval miners blaimed kobolds for the arsenic gases produced by metals like cobalt.)

Kobolds are small societies of draconic kobolds that respect and cherich their strict hierarchy systems featured in their society. Expect much corruption and political squabbles in their small hovel cities. Mostly hostile to all 'heretic' deemed races. (Think space marines trapped inside the bodies of fantasy kobolds.)

Cobolds are small rat like in nature and hippo like in appearance creatures that sneak their way into Dwarven colonies and live out their lives in the shadows.
>>
>>44193930
>>44193609
Then there are Humans, and Orcs. Still working on those two. I've been really meaning to shake it up for Orcs, (maybe combine p'orcs and WoW Orcs? ) and I have an idea that Human genes can be extracted to create Homid, a gene powered drug that other races ingest to slowly turn themselves into hybrid races, as Homid acts like a steroid to dormant genes and overall improves the user's physicality at the sacrifice to their adeptness with Magic. This is supposed to explain why Half Dwarves and Half Orcs are always half human, and not half elf or something. Homid is usually injested by creating incents out of it, cigars, or glorified bongs.

Sorry that these aren't too far away from their stereotypes, any critique or suggestion is appreciated, I really want to make this an enjoyable campaign setting for my players.
>>
File: draeneistand.jpg (102KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
draeneistand.jpg
102KB, 600x849px
>>44183380
Take a look at Chronicles of Alexstrasza. The older ones are awful to look at but the creator has been doing remakes with the updated models.

It's basically the story of how a draenei gets dicked everywhere she goes.
>>
File: Photo 12-25-2013, 6 42 08.jpg (493KB, 996x2372px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 12-25-2013, 6 42 08.jpg
493KB, 996x2372px
>>44184804
Here you go.
>>
>>44194274
think they might make any literature for starcraft taking place post LotV, we got a good political atmosphere for novels, Dominion and Protoss are both rebuilding from the ground up and in the middle of peace talks, the Zerg are isolating themselves again but have ins with Stukov and those who know Zagara, and the ... Primals... not to mention Alarak's new society and possible surviving hybrids
>>
>>44194365
They haven't shown any interest in making Starcraft porn, if that's what you're getting at.
>>
>>44194516
well that's their loss then, missing a gold mine of horny nerds
>>
>>44188956
>>
>>44194644
The problem is that SC has all of 3 dickable female characters in it.
Kerrigan, Nova, and Dr. Who-gives-a-shit (who may or may not be dead). 4 if you include non-infested Kerrigan.
If you want to include no-name characters, there's also the medic, medivac pilot, and banshee pilot.

Warcraft, meanwhile, has spankbait for days.
>>
>>44194738
>implying protoss girls and brood mothers aren't fuckable
not to mention home made female hybrids
>>
>>44194775
Do protoss even have genitals?
>>
>>44194856
they have boobs
>>
>>44180264
>Why doesnt your setting put a twist on some established and frankly boring races
Because you've given no reason at all why you would. The races you mentioned changed over decades, instead of in a single internet post.
>>
>>44183380
I mean have you seen Tracer's butt? Of all the butts, that the butt I wanna git with.
>>
Totally did. To all of them.

High elves were evil bastards, so when a sort of evil induced plague started spreading, they tried to purge themselves of their inner darkness. It only kind of worked, so now the race is divided Into those who tried the ritual and failed (who became encased in a kind of obsidian murder golems made of pure sin), those who tried the ritual and succeeded(who were suddenly disorganized, soft and innocent, making them easy targets for the humans who enslaved them) and those who didn't do the ritual at all (who either became monster or were forced to collectively sell their souls to keep them from becoming infected with darkness)

Wood elves now have a race wide case of lycanthropy/deevolution, as their primal beast God decide that all this sapience/civilization shit is overrated, and that they'd be much better off as beasts.

Dark elves live in an insane, tyrannical theocracy, because their spider godless is, eldritch divinity aside, basically just a giant spider, and they interpret her every random action as a divine omen
>>
>>44183760
So, let's say this is someone's actual setting.

Why not just pick new names for these races?

They're different enough. Calling your creepy dolls "halflings" only confuses people.
>>
Dwarves in my setting live with the gnomes in peace. They have been living together for as long as they can tell. The gnomes are leagues smarter and control most of the political positions, technological-based jobs, and CEO positions. The dwarves are about as smart as your typical jock, are obsessed with wrestling and are generally just loud, obnoxious, rum drinkers

Humans in my setting are extinct. The humans managed to progress extremely rapidly technilogical-wise and managed to build a gigantic spaceship that orbited the planet. They were in a cyberpunk like society that had the common man in a constant state of sex, drug use, and rocking out to techno and rock. Their giant spaceship was split into three sections. The gigantic nuclear reactor that powered the entire vessel was in the back, the middle was where the majority of the humans lived, and the front is where the robots and experiments were held. Life was going great up until a massive plague swept the ship and almost wiped out humanity. They did survive though...up until the giant meteor crashed into the ship. This wiped out the rest of humanity and sent the front and the back of the ship crashing into the earth. The front part crashed into the bottom-right of the map and humanity's robots now control that area. The robots are a powerful race that could easily destroy the rest of the world...if they weren't constantly getting distracted by music and partying. The back part of the ship crashed into the top-left of the map and created a nuclear wasteland that holds the heavily mutated ratmen. The middle part of the ship still orbits the planet and acts as a sort of secondary, metallic moon.
>>
>>44180264
Final Fantasy 11 have the elves be Elvaan, a race of giraffe humanoids with long gangly limbs and pointed ears. They are the tallest known race and their long limbs give them the highest strength stat, and their piousness in their faith for the one true God makes them very potent healers. They're medieval knights who live in a large castle city and were the 2nd nation in the succession of world conquerors after they managed to master magic to supplement their martial might. Also they are racist, but everybody in that game is racist.
>>
>>44180264
Your Elves are pretty much the same shit. You changed their skin color and added random regen but left pretty much all of the traditional tropes in place.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.