[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yay or Nay brainstorm game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: url.jpg (54KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
54KB, 240x320px
Here are the rules:
>post a short idea about a setting, race, character, item, whatever
>Others immediately judge whether they like the idea or not
>You are allowed to say why you like it, why it's shit or if there are any redeemable factors, as long as you keep it brief

I'll start:
a scifi-western setting where gunpowder and coal is replaced by lightning. Lightning guns, lightning bombs, lightning trains...
>>
>>44109037
Feels like it would kind of lose it's charm over a while desu senpai

I've been thinking about adding (based on a post here) a kind of sin (maybe also virtue) system. Each race has a sin on which they must sometimes roll to not act upon (based on the classic 7 for now). Ogres have gluttony, a homebrew bat-race wrath and worm-parasites have envy.
>>
(Back Story) my character is a dickass rouge determined from birth to be the world's most powerful gypsy. The only problem is that he has never even seen a gypsy, nor anyone he knows. For where he is at he tries to intimidate with a "gypsy curse" and dresses like how he thinks a gypsy does.
>>
>>44109197
That's a nay in my book.

I feel like it has been done, black eye has a bunch of anti-stats like fear of heights and greed on which you have to roll from time to time. Plus, you could be making you races a lot more one-dimensional if they all correspond with a single biblical sin.
A race should have a rich culture filled with their own drives and morals.
>>
>>44109300
Cool, yay.
>>
>>44109037
Horses?
>>
Automatons built to leech off of magic for fuel, that by a natural side effect nullify magical control around them, especially in large groups. Magic uses words of power, but the silent automatons act as a blank.
>>
Yay. Magical automatons are cool.
>>
>>44109397
yay first half, nay second
>>
>>44110112
It's the same thing. I just didn't want to get into the whole "magic is words of power by magically active beings, the automatons have a high concentration of magic because they eat vis like a a swarm of locusts, so they were designed to be unable to speak to keep them under control" deal. I figured the way I put it was the most succinct, but I guess it got interpreted wrong. They're not blanks because they're silent; they're blanks because they consume and burn raw magical energy.
>>
>>44109358
You mean lightning horses or just horses in general?
Because yay on the former, nay on the latter.

>>44109397
Yay, but I'm lost on the blank part. Shouldn't your automations have some words of magic embedded in their core? Like magical computercode to direct their purpose.
>>
>>44110258
The magical side of them is the "core" only, combination power source and binding point for the soul; they're primarily mechanical. The magical drain comes from the energy that the inscribed/powered/etc core needs to function. It's like... Say you've got a battery. You hook it up to a light, light comes on. Now put a huge resistor in the circuit and it's barely gonna light, if at all. The resistor is working exactly as it's intended to; there's just not enough "current" to support anything else.

Does that make sense? I only just started hashing them out today, so there's a lot of "I haven't gotten to that yet" still.
>>
>>44110344
Yeah, maybe I just don't know enough about mechanics to fully imagine it. What are you circuits made of then?
>>
Giant awakened spider character. Knits silken scarves.
>>
>>44110429
Well, I'm still working out the internal mechanics. I'm assuming for an early 20th century technological level at best (start of WW1 at the very latest), so anything is gonna be either analog or outright magical. I know my players dig clockwork, as long as I mostly divorce it from steampunk. So I'm leaning toward clockwork that uses the core as a self winding power source. That said, fuck if I know anything about complicated clockwork, the closest thing I've got is playing Syberia a decade ago.

Come to think of it, I should replay that for inspiration...
>>
>>44110488
Yay all the way if it fits your setting and group
>>
>>44110564
That's why I've never used that idea.

That and I've never bothered to work out how to stat it or class. I just want to be the big happy momma spider of the group who tries to get everyone to wrap up warm and have fun out there.
>>
High fantasy dungeon punk setting where gunpowder weapons exist, but races more inclined to magic over technology have found enchanted alternatives that work interchangeably. Faeries have a dust made by pixies that explodes in cartoony purple and yellow and pink flourishes, Gnolls use ground up and slightly necromantically enchanted teeth. Similar principle applies to vehicles, there may be some technological motors but there is a wide variety of traditional vehicles upgraded via magic to not require beasts of burden.

So basically you might see a Paladin in a chariot powered by holy water trading shots with a Gnoll on a necromantic motorbike fuelled by a burning corpse.
>>
>>44110748
Nay? Seems too convoluted for my tastes. Why not a single, simple energysource?
>>
>>44110839
Mixed energy sources allows for easy inclusion of things that I may want to restrict from player use. It's less risky to have motorbikes around if you know your players won't want to shovel enough corpses into them to power them, and it also means that for evil characters to steal a vehicle, finding the right fuel is also a factor.

As for weapons, there's just a lot of disparate arms races going on, pushing different groups to come up with whatever they can to not get left behind. Since they have different magical traditions, things built to rely on magic tend to reflect the methods of the cultures they came from.

Technological devices don't have that issue and are far more standardized.
>>
>>44109037
All right, I'm game. Here's an idea I'm puttering around with, trying to figure out the details of and how it should work.

>Fantasy Setting, mostly typical shit
>Fuck-Huge Maelstrom in the ocean, been spinning stationary for generations, suddenly clears without warning
>Mysterious Island(tm) revealed; ancient wizard cabal's 'base of operations', now left wild and untouched for centuries
>Unknown species, ancient ruins, lost magic and/or tech, no longer protected by Maelstrom wall

Basically, the players would be explorers-slash-settlers, trying to stake a claim on the island and its potential riches, and eventually helping to conquer the new world for fame, glory and riches untold.
>>
A system which has a single stat for movement and initiative. Lower [Stat] will act first and have more actions. Higher [Stat] will be able to move a greater distance during each action.

>Example: Char A has 3 [stat] and char B has 5 [stat]
>Every 3 seconds, A acts.
He can move 12 feet.
>Every 5 seconds, B acts.
He can move 20 feet.

Ratios just for example. Maybe too cumbersome for a tabletop game?
>>
>>44113043
Explorers yea, settlers nay.
Though I guess that depends on your group and what they would prefer.
>>
>>44110210
Having magic be based on words of power is unnecessary for this idea to work, and it makes more sense if you don't have them. Nix the words.
>>
A magic sword that can swallow corpses to become more powerful
>>
>>44113773
Yay, but not for a player. Sounds too OP
>>
>>44113043
yay

>>44113665
The only way to know if it works is to test it. Sounds promising though

>>44113773
Yay
It also swallows the entire shape of the corpses, like how a snake eats a large animal. Your sword will be a big lump of corpses
>>
>>44113773
Honestly doesn't need to be "to become more powerful".
Just imagine.
>Storming a fortified, but remote, stronghold
>Courier arrives at fortress at dawn
>Guards are gone with no trace
>Master is gone
>Even the chef
It just became an overnight ghost town.
That's scary as shit.
>>
>>44114117
Sounds like a pretty way to start a quest
>>
File: ribbonapproval.jpg (76KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
ribbonapproval.jpg
76KB, 400x400px
>>44113773
>>44114117
"Corpse-Eater" is pretty cool name, even if it's super literal.
>>
>>44110590
Just be careful of big hairy dudes with totems. They may shake your world up
>>
>>44113043
So essentially a World of Warcraft expansion?

nay
>>
A fighter-only spell list consisting of Herculean feats and powers granted X times a day and at different levels just like spells. Strength/Con is the casting stat based on class.
>>
>>44115676
Gonna say Nay.

Eldritch Knight-specific spells would be cool, but they should be an mix of spell and sword, not strength alone. Also, strength/con based casting is silly, and barbarians already get Herculean style abilities like jumping really goddamn high.
>>
>>44117236
While the wizard can teleport, buff himself past any martial, stop time, make the sky fall, grant wishes, and destroy an army all with only a few of his plentiful spell slots.
>>
>>44115676
Yay.

It would be nice for fighters to be more than "I full-attack" every round. I know it wouldn't be realistic, but since the entire setting is spewing magic out the ass I'd say it would be fun.
>>
>>44115676
Yay.

It would make playing fighters fun again.
>>
>>44118264
Going the "All fighters should be Hercules" route is silly though.

If anything, let barbarians have the "so strong it gets silly" abilities, while the fighters focus on things like battle tactics, weapon/armor skills, and other shows of extremes of martial knowledge, rather than brute strength.
>>
>>44110488
Nay on scarves. Giant spiders probably would have giant glands and giants strands, so they'd have silk better for weaving hammocks and fishing nets.
>>
>Industrial fantasy world where orcs and ogres have conquered the world
>Humans and other races subjugated and enslaved
>World is almost uninhabitable due to warring orc and ogre clans and pollution
>Underground resistance is formed but are massively outgunned

Players (assuming this is a campaign) can either be alaves, resistance fighters, or shit, they can be orcish/ogre overlords. And since it's both industrial and fantasy, guns and magic abound.
>>
>>44110590
If you don't know how to stay them out, try introducing them as an npc race. Could make for some interesting characters
>>
>>44110748
>>44110979
Sounds pretty cool, but it might be easy to get overwhelmed fast. Keep player options simple, nobody wants to read through twelve pages of item lists.
>>
File: 1445328688600.jpg (79KB, 831x445px) Image search: [Google]
1445328688600.jpg
79KB, 831x445px
>>44118264
I'm sorry I had to post this.
>>
>>44122227
yay, but I would dail down on the slaverything
>>
>>44121696
I don't think you quite understand. She's a granny. Grannies knit scarves and socks.
I guess I could do lumpy, uncomfortable and hideous sweaters though. And get sad when the Rogue isn't wearing his bright yellow and green one.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.