[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever played a character that hid their power? Or was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

File: image.jpg (286KB, 1200x828px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
286KB, 1200x828px
Have you ever played a character that hid their power? Or was their strength just unnoticed due to their appearance/activities/personality?
>>
Every rogue ever.
>>
My current character is a crab man with six arms, but he hides four of them under a cloak because that would scare people. It doesn't make him any stronger in the game mechanics, but I only have him take it off when shit gets serious so it`s kinda like that.
>>
Once played a Champions game online where I was a skateboarder with telekinesis and a lot of skills. Since I only used the thing for distractions and had a fuck ton of skills the party (and the Supervillian we were followed by) thought it was fairly weak. Didn't show until we went face-to-face with the Supervillian that I could actually move the Empire State Building if I tried.
>>
>>44096690
How would you make a character based off Saitama but still challenging to play?
>>
>>44096804
what game???
>>
>>44096919
Put him in an intrigue heavy game
>>
>>44096919
A social game with little to no combat
>>
>>44096919
Have like zero hp, one punch is all you need, but the approach becomes more important
>>
>>44096919
Social challenges that wouldn't be solved by punching. If you did punch it would just make his life constantly annoying as he wouldn't be able to stay in one place because the bullets keep getting stuck in his ear.
>>
File: Fwa.jpg (628KB, 2048x1152px)
Fwa.jpg
628KB, 2048x1152px
>>44096944
Fantasy Craft. The crab people are some homebrew that I`ve been working on.
>>
>>44096690
Jar jar binks
>>
>>44096954
that's more like genos though
>>
My gnome sorcerer passes himself off as a migrant worker in every town he goes to. he presents himself as a low int, salt of the earth type character.
>>
>>44097007
pale fire inspired?
>>
>>44096954
>zero HP
saitama takes blows that would kill literally every other character
>>44096919
you would need a system that lets you create characters that are literally invincible but cannot fly or move very quickly. Honestly, OPM doesn't lend itself to gaming very well
>>
>>44097082
What who when inspired?
>>
>>44097114
i was mostly kidding

in pale fire by nabokov one of the assassins chasing the king in hiding is a crab person
>>
I actually played a character that for all intents and purposes appeared to be just an old man who was very knowledgeable. It was in a PF game where everyone thought I had elected to play an NPC class (long story as to why, but no matter).

They did not realize until much later that I had been working in the shadows to support the party. In actuality I was a witch and necromancer. Silent and Still spell along with bluff helped a lot towards this goal.
>>
File: Guard.png (27KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
Guard.png
27KB, 640x800px
>>44097166
Gotta go read that now I guess.
>>
We were 5 friends in a Heroes Unlimited game and just for the fun we tried to go as long as we could without revealing all our power to the other.

The goal was to be the last one to have his powers discovered. I had bilities, like I was a mutant mix between Alter Limbs (make sword, shield, guns and modify my limbs at will) and Energy Expulsion: Fire plus some spec ops training. I allowed myself to use the first power and the second remained hidden until almost everyone powers were found. Seriously when you find out three session in that you can change your feet into rocket, make the fire go out there and fly with only a few penalities because of the balance the training give, it's hard as hell not to use your full potential.

The winner had some form of immortality where he just had to wait a week to reform, we found out 6 months after the beggining, but most of us knew it by the way he referenced the lich king and some other bullshit all the time (this was the only drawback of this game, this was really annoying not to be able to play in-character because of his bullshit)
>>
>>44097191
its really hilarious but it probably wont give you any good ideas for your homebrew. but i highly recommend it just if you want to read a funny and good book.
>>
File: 1446253841053.png (18KB, 212x252px)
1446253841053.png
18KB, 212x252px
I'm about to play a character that comes off as a huge pushover, wimp and general bitch. Only he's actually one of the scariest operators in the setting.

It's going to be hilarious seeing how long I can keep the act up.
>>
I once played a magus who was a warrior student who was inspired by a traveling wizard who used illusion magic to the point where he started secretly studying magic at the warrior school.

He appeared as a shitty illusion wizard with a sword because all the spells he knew came from an unused part of a warrior schools library but in reality when shit got real he would show off his minmaxed damage and destroy things.
>>
>>44096690
No, and after two bad experiences with Chaotic Evil PCs who would literally rather TPK than let us know in-character that their abilities aren't just fortunate coincidences, it pisses me off.
As long as someone was watching, they deliberately pretended to be totally useless, even when the situation was tailored to require them.
Storytime never.
>>
>>44097266
What is an operator in that setting?
>>
File: I.jpg (91KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
I.jpg
91KB, 600x800px
me irl. speech impediment so im shy-autist af but I cant feel pain in my shins or hands and little sensation on the right half of my face (cant smile without drooping) and deadlift 500, was dead for 45 seconds when I was 8

mfw I can crush a soda can but have to pay for someone else to paint my models because of my retard fingers and cant work up courage to play anyway because of my impediment
>>
>>44097288
Skateboarder dude here. It works because you can use a power when it is needed, but never go all out. All I ever needed to do with it was make some distractions and open up the bad guys for the rest of the group to jump in to pummel them. I think the largest thing I did with the telekinesis before the face-to-face confrontation was dropping a trashcan on a dude so he couldn't run away.
>>
>>44096919
He requires motivation, which will require a willpower roll or some such

He is very old, his memory is bad, cannot remember all of his abilities at a given moment unless the circumstance is most dire'

thats all i got
>>
File: 1446795219433.png (87KB, 549x529px) Image search: [Google]
1446795219433.png
87KB, 549x529px
>>44096954
That's more in line with pic related though.
>>
>>44096919
Let everyone else fight first then jump in if they're going to die. Alternatively, have him fight separate battles against a veritable God while everyone else focuses on the god's minion (they'll think it's the God).
>>
File: 1378670278527.png (1MB, 3200x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1378670278527.png
1MB, 3200x2000px
>>44097322
You know, the setting equivalent of something similar to this. Probably not as scary as that one, though.
>>
Currently playing a character in a MUD that is one of the best and strongest unarmed fighters in the realm. The meta reasoning being that unarmed has no weaknesses in combat, but it doesnt have any distinct strengths, either.

He keeps it hidden because hes not the brightest in the realm and he knows it. He also gets embarassed and antsy when people pay attention to him.

He also tells people that he cant read and write when he totally can. He also never uses his real name, and instead tells people that he's "John Smith," which very few people have seem to have gotten.
>>
>>44096690
One of my characters had a metal arm. It functioned, but wasn't particularly elegant or strong, or interesting in any real way. Right up until his back was against the wall and he calmly began to unclip it, dropping it to the ground, where it smashed the concrete to rubble as it fell. He had been intentionally throwing his balance off for years, and that without the added weight, he was a much, much better duelist.

Proceeded to fuck all kinds of shit up before going down in a blaze of glory. Ironically if he had kept the arm, he would have died in the preceding battle, but would have been able to prevent himself falling off a flying castle.
>>
>>44096919
The manga and show makes most of Saitama's challenges in life ones that he can't punch out of the way, ie the Hero Association politicking, the other hero's sheer inability to believe that he is as strong as he actually is, etc.

A character that can't be challenged physically can often be challenged socially.
>>
I took "geek the mage first" to heart and went out of my way to seem as unmagical as possible while still doing my job. I did the same thing with being a SINner
>>
>>44097570
So an operator is basically a government official? You're going to have to be more specific if you want me to understand.
>>
>>44097649
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operator_(military)
>>
>>44097570
What was his name again?

>>44097649
That scrawny "dad looking" dude is a badass.
>>
>>44097649
Look, I get you're trying to be a countercultural and provocative liberal by pretending you have no knowledge of basic /k/ terms. But the word Operator is something a vast majority of this site at least knows the basic definition of.
>>
>>44096690
One of these days, I'm gonna roll up a mediocre archer (not bad, just kinda meh). Give her a sword and a shield for in case shit hits the fan.

And then when shit does hit the fan, she's gonna rip everything to shreds. [spoilers]Including herself.[/spoilers]
>>
>>44097638
I remember a friend of mine played a mage who was the complete opposite of your character.

Needless to say when they got into a straight up fight with another group of runners his character got sniped and killed instantly. Then the opposing group of runners had their team mage summon a high force spirit and wiped the floor with them.
>>
>>44097982
No. I was just wondering if he was referencing some kind of anime thing. I never visited /k/ though so I wouldn't know what a operator was
>>
>>44096690
I tried, sadly the systems we play if you don't go all in, you die, so hiding you real strength is pretty much being suicidal.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 400x260px)
image.jpg
43KB, 400x260px
>>44098028
>never visited /k/
nogunz should really just leave
>>
>>44096919
Adding to all the social challenges, superheros with God tier power levels fight God tier threats. If you"re beyond S class, that's your fight.

Example: Superman's villains are way more threatening than spiderman.
>>
>>44097408
why haven't you become a cape-wearing superhero yet
>>
>>44096733

GM'd an all-rogue group once. They wore no apparent armor, light weapons, and intentionally did not cultivate any sort of reputation. Even at higher levels they were barely known except to certain key NPCs.

It wasn't uncommon that people thought they were just annoying nobodies until they quietly left, then stole and/or murdered everything related to their current objective. The precision they used was something to see.
>>
>>44098597
Almost reminds me of Delta Green
>>
>>44098028
>I never visited /k/
boy, you're missing out
>>
>>44098898
I remember that thread. It was a good thread.
>>
>>44096690
IRL I hide my powerlevel all the time. Does that count?
>>
Had one Mutants and Masterminds game where my Hero's theme was "normal teenager hat hulks out when mad". So I guess you can say he hid his power because he stayed in teenager form 80% fo the game and only hulked out when in the private presence of enemies that can be killed.
>>
>>44096690

In an L5R game I played the loser cousin of the Lion Clan courtier who was a drunken, womanizing shamefur dispray.

However, he was also actually an Ikoma's Shadow.

The Crane clan was horrified when he stepped in to defend the honour of his cousin and then beat a Kakita duelist.
>>
File: 1447468904648.jpg (98KB, 425x300px) Image search: [Google]
1447468904648.jpg
98KB, 425x300px
>>44100572
>the look on the faces of the Crane when a Kakita is defeated in a duel
Fucking exquisite.
>>
>>44096690

That's pretty much the modus operandi of any unchained in Demon: The Descent, but even in among the Ring my character errs on the side subtlety.

It so often plays the role of 'unassuming but relentless detective' that it's become a rare occurrence when it drops cover, goes true demon form and turns into a one-machine cloaked walking artillery battery.

But when it does it kills angels dead and sucks them dry of that delicious aether.
>>
>>44096690
I want to play a character in a generic Western fantasy who is a fallen angel, hiding their power from literally everyone because if they "go loud," they attract the attention of Heaven.

They would probably be something like a Paladin as a fallen angel PC, but they're so desperate to hide it that they go masquerading as a Fighter, and don't use their Paladin powers unless shit gets cray.
>>
>>44097941
Mike Vinning.
>>
>>44096690

Played this guy who was 2 meters tall, wore plate armour and carries a massive sword. He acted like a fucking village idiot, drooling, staring, completely oblivious to anything.

When shit hit the fan and he started chuckin fireballs and spells, everyone dropped their jaws. Turns out he was a warrior-wizard philosopher whoo wanted to see how people treat those of low intellect.
>>
Pfft.

Saitama's only OP because the world he exists in only challenges him on the plane that he's min/maxed for.

No real defense against mental attacks or illusions to speak of.

No noteworthy social skills or contacts.

Nothing to suggest a resistance to transformation, dimension shifting, or just teleporting his ass into space.

He only gets more manageable in a game where he's built on the same point total as everyone else at the table, which would be basically any supers game with guided creation.
>>
>>44104664

>99% of this humans post

Hello fellow human, maybe you should read the manga next time before you post.
>>
>>44104737
Got up to the martial arts tournament Saitama was crashing before it literally bored me to tears.

I really don't understand you guys' obsession with it.
>>
>>44104763

>he dint read the original, just one one were some guy added a bunch of filler for no reason
>>
File: Owlman.jpg (32KB, 500x252px) Image search: [Google]
Owlman.jpg
32KB, 500x252px
>>44104763
You've seen how the original starts, right?

I'm glad you've got the copious amount of freetime to wait for that to get good, but there's only so much retreading I'm willing to do for a mediocre title.

I'm still convinced that the writing is intended to force the reader to experience the same Ennui as Saitama.

"Oh, a new villain. Doesn't matter, one punch. Oh, someone's backstory ... twenty words or less, fucker, you won't accomplish anything worth seeing. Whoa, civilian casualties ... no, wait, we annihilated 10,000 people with a single blow at the start of the second arc, kinda numb to that. Can *this* guy beat Saitama? Yeah, no, didn't think so."
>>
File: 165468914.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
165468914.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>44096690
I played a wizard who was pretty frail-looking and used to cast mostly buff, debuff and crowd control spells while his team did the damage.

Once we risked a TPK because of a poorly-executed plan and I had to resort to more offensive spells. By the end of it, the barbarian who used to tease my character a lot, stopped joking and messing with him.
>>
>>44096954
Confirmed for never having read OPM.
>>
>>44096919
Do what they do in the manga.
Give him God Tier threats while others challenge the minions/lieutenants

OR

Give him non-physical challenges that make it difficult to get that one punch in. Like making the Villain appear to society to be a hero. Saitama could kill him at any moment. But until Saitama proves to society that the BBEG is actually evil, any killing Saitama does just makes HIM look like the bad guy.
>>
>>44096690
Played Legend of the 5 Rings as a Scorpion Clan Courtier. My entire job was to clean up the power levels of my group and keep them under cover. Any time one did something bad it was my job to convince everyone they saw something else. Or kill/dishonor/destroy anyone who stood by their statements.

Honestly, one of the most fun characters I've ever played.
>>
Played a One Piece game as a character roughly equivalent to the pirate king, but for sky pirates, having faded into obscurity and assumed death after his crew were killed and his epic treasure lost. He still had the power to move mountains so to speak, but didn't want to give away who he was so kept things on the down low.

It was pretty cool playing a character fairly older than the others who was at the beginning just a bitter husk, but the naive young pirates managed to stir something in his heart with their optimism and ambition, so he ended up becoming a sort of mentor to help them along their journey.

When shit hit the fan and they located his old treasure, he got back his old weapons and gear, and it became clear who he really was.
>>
>>44096919
You would probably want someone [i]way[/i] out of depth who doesn't have essential mobility capabilities, so the segregation in combat doesn't feel... forced. You'd have to do this in a system where those things can't be accomplished through money or shareable buffs, otherwise... well, the result is obvious.

Out of combat, he's just another character.
>>
>>44102004
>Bell's Scotch
Absolutely fucking disgusting. The sort of stuff you buy in a motorway garage if you dont fancy living any more.
>>
File: fucking based.jpg (58KB, 1024x434px) Image search: [Google]
fucking based.jpg
58KB, 1024x434px
>>44105398
>>
I have tried several times and have never been able to play it off. It always goes

>Characters is a badass pretending to be a dumbass.
>I end up fucking up somehow, making the character just a dumbass who thought he was a badass pretending to be a dumbass.
>>
>>44105747
Probably because the GM doesn't play along to your character's wishes... The GM is the enabler, after all.
>>
>>44096919
I wouldn't make one in the first place.
>>
>>44096690
Yes. In quite a few WoD larps especially (as I'm quite small in stature and the narrators and storytellers likes to use me as unsuspecting surprise for the rest of the LARP).
>>
>>44104664
>No real defense against mental attacks or illusions to speak of.
>Nothing to suggest a resistance to transformation, dimension shifting, or just teleporting his ass into space.
Tatsumaki, a telekinetic who can fling skyscrapers around like nothing and pull down giant meteors at will, once tried to defeat Saitama by throwing him into space. She managed to raise him three inches off the ground before collapsing from exhaustion, saying he was "too heavy".
>>
Almost all of them, specially the unnoticied due to appearance/activities/personality.

Hell, the record for me is a level 17 fighter with a ridiculously strong build who looked like a complete whimp, acted like one and worked on crafting.
>>
>>44107052
Is this from the webcomic? I don't recall it
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 148x199px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 148x199px
>>44096690
Yep. He was an elderly elf that was a cleric of Sarenrae. Normally he would just buff the party/debuff the enemy, stating that he "doesn't like fighting" and preferred to find a peaceful solution wherever possible, though he knew that sometimes a fight was just unavoidable. Everyone thought he was just a nice old man of the goddess of forgiveness.

He actually used to be a powerful necromancer when he was younger. He sought redemption after the paladin of Sarenrae in the party that defeated him convinced the group to grant him mercy despite being a very evil piece of shit. The only time he truly lost his cool in-game was when he ran into his old master, who was now a lich and was about to kill the rest of the party. Pic related, the look on everyone's face as the nice old cleric suddenly starts wrenching control of the lich's minions away from him and finishes the lich off by basically beating him to re-death with his own arm.
>>
>>44107052
It must be all of those squats.
>>
>>44107476
It isn't, so it's either filler Murata dreamt up (though I can't imagine why since in the webcomic proper the two of them are actually fighting and Tatsumaki sure as hell can throw him around to an extent) or something fanmade.
>>
>>44107476
Yeah, it's from the webcomic.
>>44109698
How recently have you checked the webcomic for updates? Because that actually did happen in the webcomic. She also tried to finish him instantly with some sort of weird vibration attack, but all it did really was make Saitama go "Whoa, why am I so jumpy all of a sudden?"
>>
>>44109780
Huh, was it recent? Since I checked it last week and the most recent chapter then was with Speed of Sound Sonic (lol) slipping on some shit
>>
>>44096690
Played Paranoia one time. It was great fun trying to hide my mutant power shapeshifting from everyone. I didn't even let any of the other players know about it out of character.

By far the best part about it was that Friend Computer didn't even find out, since it never bothered to ask during briefing.
>>
>>44110071
Can't remember how recent. Check batoto, that's where I found it.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.