[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do trolls and other creatures want gold?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (80KB, 640x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 640x470px
Why do trolls and other creatures want gold?
>>
>>44090314
It's shiny and it's taken from shit they've killed IE you and your party.
>>
>>44090314
Because they want to trade. Fucking duh.
>>
>>44090314
Troll women.

First you get the gold, then you get the women.
>>
>>44090314
to buy real estate in order to escape enforced poverty
>>
It's a good conductor of electricity.
>>
>>44090314
They've realised that smaller weaker things consider them valuable and either want to buy some shit (custom armour can't be robbed after all) or build a horde to sate their ego.

Some use it as a part of their mating displays, proof of their prowess.
>>
So they can rent a nice lair in a fancy dungeon somewhere.
>>
>>44090314
I swear I've seen this exact fucking thread with these exact same fucking replies two months back.
>>
>>44090505
As the anon behind >>44090479 I can confidently say I have not posted in a thread like this before. Im too new to not remember if I had
>>
>>44090505
>>44090522
Sorry guys, new to the site.
>>
They understand that gold is a measure of power, and so desire to hoard it to become more powerful.

They believe the simple act of owning it gives them power, and have little concept of bartering.
>>
>>44090314
Obviously to buy booze and get drunk.
>>
>>44090505
>>44090522
I definitely remember seeing an OP reposted that I myself had made many months ago.
They used the same pic and everything, shit was bizarre.
Who keeps doing that sort of thing?
>>
>>44090314
Trolls want gold because their king said that they need to collect gold for him.
>>
File: beowulf vs dragon.jpg (171KB, 461x599px) Image search: [Google]
beowulf vs dragon.jpg
171KB, 461x599px
>>44090314
Paying off dragons to kill famous troll-slayers.
>>
>>44090314
Buy their way into a better afterlife. They believe that having enough gold when you die will get you a spot in the merchant god's afterlife.
>>
>>44090588
People that want to be ''that guy that made that thread that people loved'' in their own heads? People unsatisfied with the ending of the previous thread but lacking in creativity?
>>
>>44090314

From an old AD&D book. Monsters find shiny gold to be pretty if their intellgence is high enough and take it and they find gold tasty if their intelligence is low enough and eat any they come across, which is why they might have some in their belly if you loot the corpse or they might throw it up when you kill them.
>>
They are like crows, simple minded but with a underdeveloped taste.

Gold is shiny. Shiny is pretty. Pretty is attractive. Attractive means mating. Mating is good. Gold is good.
>>
>>44090592
Top OC/10
>>
>>44090314
Do they?
>>
File: 1427762070503.png (15KB, 299x200px) Image search: [Google]
1427762070503.png
15KB, 299x200px
>>44090314
Why did humans originally value gold? It's pretty.
>>
>>44091124
Good point.
>>
>>44091124
It's also easily malleable so you can make quick jewelry out of it
>>
>>44090314
Because other people are willing to feed themselves to the trolls for it so it must be worth something, right?
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>44090314
1) A troll's regenerative powers are fueled by the consumption of gold
2) Trolls are compelled to build golden idols to appease their tyrannous gods
3) Trolls are seriously turned on by shiny, heavy objects
4) Troll shamans can work great auric sorcery with access to a sufficient quantity of gold
5) The great troll king under the mountain will wake once enough gold is collected to forge a new crown for his gigantic head
6) Trolls need gold to buy back the freedom of those of their species who are enslaved by dwarves
7) Trolls want gold to tempt men to sin with it
8) Certain breeds of troll mutate fantastically when exposed to gold
9) Golden teeth are enormously prestigious in troll society
10) The great natural predator of the troll species has a severe allergy to gold
11) Trolls live naturally in an uncivilized, savage fashion but poorly imitate the society of men. They don't understand currency but they understand gold is important
12) Placing a golden ring on a troll is the only way to compel it to obey an oath
13) The ruler of a troll clan is the one who possesses the most gold
14) The hearts of trolls are made of living gold, and they can grow larger by adding to it
15) Even the ugliest of trolls shows a beautiful reflection in a golden mirror
16) Trolls cannot pass a golden gate without permission
17) The largest coin counterfeiting operation on the continent is a family of highly intelligent, mafioso trolls
18) Gold is an environmental stabilizer for a troll's natural biological functions of regeneration and mutation. Without regular exposure to gold a troll will transform into a mindless slug-like ooze or living tumour.
19) Trolls believe that being buried in liquid gold is the only way for them to enter heaven
20) Trolls just like to get paid, yo
>>
>>44091124
Gross simplification
It's because a combination of :
>pretty
>malleable
>fairly rare
>easy to get in pure form
>easy to recognize (very important)
>>
>>44091712
I forgot
>difficult to accidentally destroy
>>
>money is the source of all evil.
>Gold is money
>evil races love gold
>>
Obviously trolls have the unique ability to purchase stats with gold.
>>
Why do humans want gold?
>Groceries shopping
>Pay child support
>Get a haircut once in a while
>Saving up for that sweet Mustang-horse you´ve always wanted
>Pay taxes
>
>>
File: Trouble containing it.gif (492KB, 176x216px) Image search: [Google]
Trouble containing it.gif
492KB, 176x216px
>>44090388

>Unique troll character with a Tony Montana persona.
>>
>>44090442
if that's your reasoning, then i would have to slightly correct you:
silver is a much better conductor than gold, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity#Resistivity_density_products

the reason people use gold over silver is that gold doesnt oxidise, wich increases resistance
>>
>>44090314
because they are fey, they cannot touch iron, and they cannot touch silver, gold it the only form of jewelry they can wear.

also it attracts humans that they can rob and eat, or sell into slavery.
>>
>>44092131
>not bribing your DM
>>
I do like the suggestion that they love gold, but don't have any purpose for coins, monsters would just pound it into gold leaf and cover their lair's walls.
>>
>>44090442
Now I really want a group of trolls who are secretly technologically sophisticated and seek out gold for its many industrial applications. (The cover story, of course, is that they think it's pretty.)
>>
It's not that they want it it's just the only thing they can't digest.
>>
>>44091395
>We gotta kill the Troll King
Fuck, I'm only, like, level 3.
>>
>>44092668
He said good, not best. There was no reason to correct him.
>>
>>44092431
All that would be needed is to name them Trolly Montana and make them addicted to pixie dust and we're in business.
>>
>>44096971
That's a narrow view, anon. Death isn't the only measure of success.
>>
>>44091259
This is the best reply so far. Gold is bait for tasty humans. It can be used to attract a mate, but only because that mate wants the food that it will bring.
>>
>>44090314
Because you wanted it, and it's pretty. If they don't use it to trade, they keep it as a trophy for status. Not that complicated, I think.
>>
>>44097666

Don't forget that the humans it attracts are often dangerous, and the more gold, the more dangerous, numerous, and frequent the human arrivals will be.
There's also the fact that other trolls, aware of gold's value as a status symbol, will try to take it from him, too.
A troll who can keep a huge stockpile all to himself for a long time must be one incredibly tough dude, and so obviously the best mate.
>>
>>44090314
So they can feed their families and buy nice things.

Troll-sized armor and weapons don't come cheap, you know. Not every troll is content to run around in his skivvies and swing logs at people.
>>
>>44098466
Logs are pretty efficient weapons against people. You can easily crush knights and horses and entire rows of soldiers with only one, and the forest has many logs.
>>
>>44098489
Human soldiers, perhaps, but a good sword will serve you better than any hunk of debris. And a knight's lance can do pretty serious harm, even if you're big.

Besides, who's to say our troll won't find himself fighting other trolls, or even fiercer monsters? Then he'll want the best arms and armor he can afford.
>>
>>44090314
do you even know how expensive real-estate is these days?

If you want a waterfront abode you gotta fork over mad sacks of gold, and you think honest folk are going to hire trolls? Luckily nobody cares if adventurers die given how much collateral damage they cause, so killing a few violent psychotic drifters? Yeah, that'll land you a nice place under a bridge by a swell little creek.
>>
>>44090866
Crows are smart as fuck tho.
>>
because they needed treasure to level up
>>
Because trolls stealing gold makes the king mad.
>>
I had a setting where trolls were skilled with a kind of innate magic called the Ways. They could could instantly transport creatures and things between any two arches (such as the area beneath a bridge, which they often live at). They were hardly sentient at all, but for some reason desired gold and gems to decorate their lairs with. If you gave them enough treasure and presented them with a drawing of where you wished to go then they would lead you through the Ways to your intended destination.
>>
>>44098883
A knight's lance will fuck you up regardless what weapon you're using. You're thinking of armour, which I never mentioned. A log worked for Musashi as well. Hell, swords weren't the weapon of choice against plate armour, so why use an oversized sword? A log crushes a knight with zero problem, why downgrade to a more expensive higher maintenance weapon which kills no more efficiently?
>>
>>44100467
lol at plate armor and horses in a swamp
>>
File: image.jpg (193KB, 1503x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193KB, 1503x1080px
>>44091395
Marvelous. I now have enough plot troll-related twists to last a decade of gaming
>>
>>44090314
See that troll with all the gear. He got that using gold. Swag troll.
>>
>>44091395
I like you tableanon
>>
So they can build a golden bridge. Where does the golden bridge go? You'd have to ask a troll.
>>
>>44090314
> trolls are robbing banks, caravans and mines, raids on caves turn up no gold, only curious sparkling items of bizarre construction
> after a long and grueling campaign, the party tracks the spot the trolls are all taking their gold
> A strange fortress with metalic constructs ascending into the sky
> TFW it's all a rogue trader's scam for gold collection, with him providing gewjaws from other worlds.
>>
File: Warning to All Crows.jpg (144KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Warning to All Crows.jpg
144KB, 960x720px
>>44100124
I hope they are smart enough to know what is good for them...
>>
Because it has VALUE, not just numismatic but mystical. One of the reasons gold is so valuable, aside from being rare and shiny, is that both it and silver were ascribed a variety of holy and mystical powers. Gold was considered the rays of the sun made solid in the womb of the earth, and inherently powerful. This is why gold is necessary for certain divine rituals and why valuables make fittinhn sacrifices, because they have a relative worth as precious and a definable worth as mystical.
>>
>>44090314

They are worried about the central bank inflating the currency in order to impoverish the hard working troll and believe gold is a hedge against hyper-inflation. When it is pointed out that there is no central bank, they don't use currency, barely understand barter, and they seem to be giving a lot of goods to a pudgy bard with crazy eyes to get a relatively small amount of gold, they generally become enraged and try and eat you.
>>
>>44090314
Because that shiny shiny. I like to play with it a little bit though so that creatures of the wild don't necessarily value precious metals exactly the same as humans. My goblins, for example, love silver above all other things and would be willing to betray their own family if it meant that they would get their hands on a few silver coins while they consider gold to be nothing but dirty or rotten silver and is thus more or less worthless to them.
>>
>>44103924
Dude could just kill the lawn grubs the crows are eating...
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.