[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is traditional gaming becoming better or worse as you get older?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (19KB, 386x261px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 386x261px
Is traditional gaming becoming better or worse as you get older?
>>
>>44089786
About the same
>>
Better, because I started GMing and have a solid base of experience to build something that will make both me and my players have fun at the table, and we all have the luck of enjoying things for their good points instead of only focussing on what we don't like to the point that we start hating it.
>>
>>44089786
Worse, all these casuals entering my hobby are ruining it.
>>
>>44089791
Yeah, seems that way.

I suppose if I had to pick, I'd say better. There's more and more systems and tweaks made all the time. And even if you don't like anything new at all, the old systems are still kicking.
>>
>>44089807
>and we all have the luck of enjoying things for their good points instead of only focussing on what we don't like to the point that we start hating it.

Could you please share this revelation with /v/ so that hopefully the salt content in general gaming will be reduced?
>>
>>44089786
Much better. I'm not nearly as awkward and self conscious as I was a few years ago.
>>
>>44089786

I used to make characters that were 20-somethings because I thought grown up people are cool. Now I'm 25, still not cool, and making characters that are succesful in life instead.
>>
>>44089786
Better. When I was a kid I played with That Guys because they were all that was available locally and I didn't realize there was a potential alternative.

Nowadays I know to kick shitheads faster than they can shout floccinaucinihilipilification.

It usually only takes me a month or so to grow the balls to do it :/
>>
>>44089786
Well my painting and handling my 6mm miniatures are going to be a pain when I get older I suppose...
>>
>>44089786
It become better for me as i got older and have more disposable income.
At certain limit though, it become worse because i'm starting to get self concious about my age and how i'm fast becoming one of the oldest customer in my lgs.
>>
>>44089786
Better, much better.
I've discovered my love for researching, writing and playtesting games. Have delved into periods I had never even heard of 2 years ago.
Russo japanese wars, the Thirty Years War. Also went into periods I knew very little about like the NZ wars of the 1840s - 70s, and WW1.

I have a great group of friends to help me playtest games, and we've finally made the move from D&D to Traveller for our weekly session. Everyone is loving it - great to play a different system, especially one as operator as Traveller.

There are more games nowadays, combined with all the old ones there's a billion rulesets to check out, for every type of game you can imagine. If feels like more and more people know about or play wargames. Its a great hobby and past time. Hopefully it stays healthy!
>>
>>44089901
I sometimes try to do it in /vg/ actually, but then they just call you a shill.
>>
>>44089786
Better.

Not that I have more time or capability for it, but I am simply getting to do more of what I want with it rather than having to struggle to play something that isn't one of the GW games or one of the other 'big' games that gets its own general thread.
>>
>>44089786

Better. The 80s were a wild time for RPGs, but your choices were largely D&D, Traveller, Runequest, lots of flavors of not-D&D, or some awful D100 thing TSR cranked out.
In addition, metagaming was rampant, and the stories you got out of a game were usually filled with plot holes as a result.

Today there are more systems, better systems, and more variation in how they work, and a generally wider and more developed RP culture.
It's a great time to be an RPG fan.
>>
>>44089786
Better, the more games I play the more experienced my and my friends are getting. Our campaigns have gone from very simplistic and linear 'travel down the road and fight bad guys' games to much more expansive and roleplay heavy games. In fact one campaign got into a very comfortable routine of one session tactical combat and exploration, followed a session of intense roleplay about the consequences. God damn that was a good game.
>>
Better. I'm not 'old' per-se (27), but I can definetly tell the difference from now and then. When we used to play as late teens, it was mostly just fucking around and murder hoboing and trying to out funny each other. We would make young adventure self insert characters.

As we have got on, we are now starting to make more believable characters, characters with passion and purpose sort of thing. We focus more on story and interaction ahead of combat. I like that better.
>>
>>44089901
Kinda hard, since most of them are actually angsty teenagers.
>>
Traditional gaming is better for me, because I am more confident about what I want out of a game, and because the ties of friendship within my group have grown a lot.
I'm worried about the community though, people nowadays seem to care a lot more about having the right kind of people in the hobby and having the right kind of fun instead of, you know, actualy play some fucking games.
>>
File: 1448983006372.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448983006372.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
How old is too old to begin playing roleplaying games on a table with people younger than yourself?
>>
>>44091303
When you become like this guy >>44089824 it means you're too old, actual age doesn't matter
>>
>>44091303
That really depends, honestly. Are they completely new to the game and over the hill? Maybe the references and gags are going to go over their head, and new systems might cause them to ask "wait what?" alot. My personal experience:
>most of us in our 20's, DM mid 30's
>Open table at FLGS, women comes in wanting to join
>shes 60+, incredibly eccentric and we are pretty sure shes going senile early.
>We would spend entire sessions explaining the character mechanics she herself picked.
>Wild hoots of joy when something would happen
>Almost every other sentences was "Well I dont understand"

It was actually kind of sad. She would cook us tons of food every week and bring it in for us, and remember everyones birthdays, and get everyone presents for christmas and what not. I think she just wanted to be around people who liked dragon stuff.She was hag status comeliness score so didnt really have a husband and no family around. She ended up leaving over some really trivial shit with the GM, she sometimes shows up to give birthday cards.
>>
Better because I'm an adult who can decide I don't like playing with certain people and then not play with them in the future instead of whining about it on 4chan
>>
>>44089786
Worse. The older I get, the more retarded everyone else seems by comparison.

And they were pretty damn retarded to begin with.
>>
>>44089786
>Gaming
Its getting better. lots of good games, tons of genres, range of various rules complexities, internet for quick references and GMing support and lots of entertainment media saturation for 'inspiration' and even online tabletops which are great when your friends are a long commute away

>Running games
gets better as times go on and I build experience. I dont have even half the issues I had when I started.

>People I play with
This is the only thing that hasnt changed. there are still very few good players and a metric fuckton of shit players. always has benn, always will be. the whole "casuals ruining the hobby" thing is bullshit cuz its not casuals that are the problem, its the retards, sticks-in-the-mud, and the sticks-up-their-ass players that are the problem, and their numbers have remained consistent ever since I started playing. I had kick someone out yesterday for outright refusing to be a part of a team. guy thought we could have 'the party' and then also "dumbass mcsolo's magical realm fun times adventure" at the same time. retards gonna potato.

All that being said, I have a great group right now, probly the best group I have ever had (no that dumbass-mcsolo is gone. They all started as casuals and have become good gamers and even wanna give other games a go. Had one of them yesterday ask me to run Paranoia of all things. fuck ya. gonna give Call of Cthulhu a shot too later on, will be a good break from our standard D&D game

tl;dr
Yes
>>
>>44091689
have you tried not playing with retards?
>>
>>44091303
so long as those people are ~17-18 and are cool with it, you can never be too old.

My first DM was a 72 year old retiree who has been playing since ODnD, didnt work and spent all his free time converting old modules to new systems. all the rest of us were under 25.

Seriously the best DM ever. Damn shame he doesnt really game anymore due to poor health.
>>
>>44091888

I suspect he's the kind of guy like to think that everyone around him is always retarded, in order to boost his own euphoria. Changing friends wouldn't help that sort of guy, as the problem is between his own ears.
>>
File: 1403136573901.gif (52KB, 581x440px) Image search: [Google]
1403136573901.gif
52KB, 581x440px
>>44089786
I enjoy it just as much as when I started, if not more than. I dunno, something about meeting up with my friends every week and rolling some dice just never gets old to me.
>>
>>44089786

Rarer but better. My thatgguy sense has gotten really sharp, so I can just avoid the shithead and the groups that force themselves to accomodate him and go for the actually decent/good games. This means that it's a bit harder to find a game but when I do it's so much funner.

Disposable income is also a plus.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 294x204px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 294x204px
Fucking WORSE!

Once upon a time, AD&D was the one and only game anyone ever needed. Now as the years have gone by, more and more shit editions and totally-not-D&D games (I'm looking AT YOU Pathfinder!) and games of genres nobody gives a fuck about (you get to be magical vampire cowboys in this one herpaderp!) have been shit out by people who have no business going anywhere near a keyboard, and severely divided the player base. Now it's hard as fuck to find players for the game I want to play.

Not only that but all these new RPGs and video games have infected traditional gaming with this bullshit "everyone is a winner who gets a trophy" mentality, and so all the kiddies I'm stuck playing with have this sense of entitlement where if anything ever happens to their special snowflake character they break down in tears. You didn't see this horse shit back in the day. When you died you fucking rolled up a new character and didn't cry about it.

And finally we have to deal with furries and bronies shitting up our hobby. Unacceptable. I frankly hate traditional gaming nowadays but I stick around in the false hope that I'll find some proud old grognards like me who will crack open a beer and an AD&D book, and go back to old school dice rolling games the way they were meant to be played.
>>
>>44089786
Oddly enough... Better.
>>
Everything does
>>
>>44089979
it took me about 25 seconds to shout that so pretty quick job dude
>>
>>44094437
kek
>>
>>44094437
Fuck off.

Stormbringer does waht D&D tried to do but better and yet i can't find any cunt for it hardly.

Take your D&D bullshit the fuck outta here its shit and has always been shit you nostalgiafag
>>
>>44089786
First gaming times were with awful GM's.
Once i became my own GM, games were really fun...until I realized I had been doing rules completely wrong and fucking over players left and right.
So I stuck to the rules as best I could, and eventually go to a point where I just didn't care about gaming.
More recently, I've been actually using the lessons I've learned from when I was younger, and been having a lot more fun with the game, as are my players.

So better. Much better.
>>
>>44094437
>Not only that but all these new RPGs and video games have infected traditional gaming with this bullshit "everyone is a winner who gets a trophy" mentality
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND you wont back that statement up with facts.
>>
>>44091429
Right in the feels.
>>
>>44089786

Better. Not only personally, but I think the industry itself is in something of a golden age right now.

I'm having more fun personally because tabletop games are a hobby where experience is helpful. I'm a better GM than I was five years ago. I'm a better player than I was five years ago. Hell, I know the guys at my table better than I did when we first started.

Meanwhile, self-publishing, crowdsourced funding and just the Internet being the Internet have pushed a *lot* of interesting new ideas out the door with regards to tabletop RPGs. Some of my favorite games exist because of this. At the same time it seems like there's been a big push recently towards very focused games, as opposed to the old-school style of RPG-making where you'd just try to make a system that does everything. Small games with a tightly focused set of rules kick fucking ass and I'm glad they're the "it" thing right now.

So I feel like I'm better at games, the cost of entry for becoming a game designer has been drastically lowered and has allowed all sorts of interesting things to be made, and the types of games being made right now really interest me.

I'm loving it. Absolutely loving it.
>>
>>44094446
Skimming the thread, better seems to be the overwhelming answer.
>>
File: Original Salt.png (253KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Original Salt.png
253KB, 500x400px
>>44094437
>>
Worse. A lot worse.
>>
>>44094437
Just go to /o--
>Huh. There isn't an /osrg/ up.
Well, guess you're boned. /tg/ abandoned you.
>>
>am 28
>started playing D&D basic set when I was 8 with my granddad, who had run D&D for my dad when he was a kid
>retroclones of AD&D (both versions) exist and D&D 5e exists, so I have the only D&D versions I'll ever need
>that 20th anniversary edition of VTM exists
>Misspent Youth for narrative games about being punk kids sticking it t the man (seriously a fucking great system)
>Savage Worlds exists
>there are a fuckload of other systems if I want to try one out
>playing in a 5e hexcrawl right now with a lot of combat AND a lot of roleplaying, and it's a blast
So much better.

Oh, and since the question was traditional gaming in general, not just RPGs...

>BOARD GAMES EVERYWHERE
Like, holy shit. Board gaming is becoming a big hobby now. There are so many good fucking games. And if you want to start collecting a card game, you can play Netrunner or something where the cards aren't randomized so you can still collect and customize but it doesn't cost your firstborn child to stay competitive.

The only, ONLY way I can imagine anyone saying traditional gaming as a whole has become worse (as opposed to the scene they're in right now or something) is if they're bitter elitists who don't want the general public to enjoy things that resemble the things they themselves enjoy.
>>
>>44094478
Maybe you're just not a shithead?
Sorry if that ruins your hopes and ambitions. I think you'll get through it, though.
>>
>>44094974

It's okay, we don't want that saltmonger there anyhow. He sounds like Virt-lite.
>>
>>44089786
Better, having more money and friends who are adults vastly improves the experience. The only thing that's gotten objectively worse is that it's harder to find as much time, I can't spend an entire weekend rolling dice and sleeping on the couch between games any more.

>>44089824
>>44091689
>>44094437

The only people who bitch about casuals and girls invading their hobby or whatever are those who resent the fact that their hobby is now enjoyed by people who have social skills and lives.

I know it must be rough that being the one who's basement the gang hung out in, or who owned all the book isn't enough to maintain the illusion that you're popular any more, but them's the breaks.

The guys who's life revolves solely around their fa/tg/uy identity and activities are not really someone people want to spend time with when they're out of their teens, which is why they band together to complain about filthy casuals and watch cartoons.
>>
>>44094974
The funny thing is that /osrg/ actually prefers B/X D&D or other versions older than AD&D, since AD&D represents the beginning of the rules bloat that leads into 3.x
>>
>>44094501
Cool name, .pdf?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.