[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best system for a fairly stock fantasy campaign??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_llaj7kKyg81qclvq3.gif (480KB, 400x175px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_llaj7kKyg81qclvq3.gif
480KB, 400x175px
So I might be running a game sometime in the near future, for people that are pretty new to RPGs (like myself) but long time gamers. I feel like running a pretty regular swords + sorcery dealio but I don't know what system to use

I know how to run D&D 4e and 5e, there's a lot I like about them but they have a lot of problems too. You guys shit on D&D all day here, but I can't recall you ever recommending anything to fill that kind of game.

Surely there'd be some major contenders but I don't really know of any, besides "GURPS and a splatbook, dude"

What are my options?
>>
Strike! RPG.

Fate/Burning Wheel out of combat, 4e in combat.
>>
>>44071368

> Fate/Burning Wheel out of combat, 4e in combat

Is that a serious suggestion? The two are pretty starkly contrasted.

Either way, Burning Wheel is probably too advanced for what I'm after/capable of atm. It has some great ideas but I need something a bit more entry level atm.
>>
AD&D 2nd edition
>>
>>44071542
>Is that a serious suggestion? The two are pretty starkly contrasted.

No, that's what Strike! RPG is.
>>
Savage Worlds
Conan D20
Elric! / Stormbringer
>>
>>44071359
Dungeon World. Seriously. The learning curve is so gentle you can start playing seriously after one training session. Bending the rules to accomodate your narrative needs is one of the system's crucial characteristic
>>
>>44071359
So you have a genre, but what sort of game do you want to run? Why don't you like DnD? If you feel it's unbalanced but like the crunch GURPS is good. If you want to make up cool stories, Dungeon World is good.

But you want to figure out your goal and then find a system to suit. Otherwise you'll just get anon's favourite system and this thread will become systems wars shitposting.
>>
File: Basic Fantasy.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Basic Fantasy.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>44071359
>>
>>44071359

Warhammer 2ed. GURPS basic.
>>
>but I can't recall you ever recommending anything to fill that kind of game

You're not looking hard enough.

Anyways, what's a "regular swords and sorcery" game? "Stock fantasy" is not swords and sorcery- it's almost always high fantasy D&D based murderhobos who save the world in a vaguely late medieval, western European setting laced with modern humanism. That's about as far from swords and sorcery as you can get.

Hell, most science-fiction is closer to swords and sorcery.

So that I'm being helpful, I'll give some recommendations:

Barbarians of Lemuria
Burning Wheel
RuneQuest
The Dark Eye
Dungeon World / World of Dungeons (two separate games with the same inspiration)
Pendragon (with some reskinning)
Dungeon Crawl Classics / Labyrinth Lord (old-school D&D, from when D&D knew what it was trying to be)
>>
>>44071359
Torchlight.
It's not very complicated and it has good rules that lead to role-playing inspired by the mechanics, which is always good for newbies no matter what your opinion on it is. It has neat little subsystems for social resources and "downtime" if you feel like deciding the characters are going to wait out winter in a city without really doing anything special that makes them want to role-play the entire period.
>>
>>44072359
I think you mean Torchbearer, Torchlight is the Diablo clone.
>>
>>44072181
> That's about as far from swords and sorcery as you can get.

Is it that specific a genre definition? If it is I was unaware - I was using it pretty plainly. I want swords, and I want sorcery.

Personally I'm not going to quibble at the divide between something like Conan or something like Lord of the Rings when we could be comparing them to Shadowrun, or Traveler or Fiasco or Cthulu, etc etc
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.