[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40k RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 38

File: Warhammer Roleplay.png (162KB, 600x255px) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer Roleplay.png
162KB, 600x255px
For all your Deathwatch, Dark Heresy, Only War, and Rogue Trader needs.

40k:
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

and 40k accessories:
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

To start things off, what's the most insane thing your party has ever done? Survival is optional, but it's a nice bonus.
>>
>>43998572
>To start things off, what's the most insane thing your party has ever done? Survival is optional, but it's a nice bonus.
Use a shit ton of promethium and demopacks to make a fuckhueg IED to blow up a Bloodthirster and its retinue of lesser daemons.
>>
My Rogue Trader party just jumped five years into the future during a standard business visit to the Lathe worlds. Considering the multiple time-sensitive plot hooks and the ancestral treasure they were about to pursue, they are about to arrive into one mighty clusterfuck in their business empire.
>>
Shot a planetary Noble in the middle of a relatively public location, in full view of the Arbites, with no justification, without stating they were Inquisitorial Acolytes, then tried to kill the Arbites when they tried to arrest them.
>>
>>43998652
And this is why you establish a codeword with the Arbites head honchos in advance that you can verify your Inquisitorial status with.
>>
>>43998677
>>43998652
No, this is why you never engage with the Arbites and instead spy on people from the rooftops, steal what you need in the dead of night, silently murder your targets with long knives in their beds, and slip back into the underhive when you're done. You can't get in trouble if no one realizes you exist.
>>
>>43998688
That there is acting like a bunch of heretics. A true monodominant and righteous son of the Emperor strikes down his enemies with fire and zeal in broad daylight, because he has nothing to hide. You aren't heretics are you, anon?
>>
>>43998715
Monodominancy is self-destructive lunatic retardation and you know it. The only sane path to saving the Imperium is to guard it from the shadows as a watchful protector.
>>
>>43998800
sanity leads to corruption!
>>
>>43998800
Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. Even worse, radical nonsense. So, which brand of heresy is it you peddle? Istvaanism? Libricarism? Or Emperor forbid, Oblationist? Xanthite?

Dangerous and inevitably leading to heresy is where that train of thought takes you. Because remember an open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
>>
>>43998859
five dollars say he's Thorian.
>>
>>43998888
>>43998859
>>43998853
I'm Amalathian, you fucking dipshits. This is exactly the kind of petty factional bullshit I'm trying to prevent. The Imperium creaks while its servants argue, so stop arguing and let's save the day.
>>
File: 1389002608590.gif (3MB, 631x271px) Image search: [Google]
1389002608590.gif
3MB, 631x271px
>>43998927
>I'm Amalathian
Oh boy, I bet you've just gotten your rosette haven't you? What're you going to ask us to do now, sit in a drum circle and sing kumbaya until the heresy goes away?
>>
Any idea why FFG is dragging their feet on the Enemies Without PDF? There have been discussions about it on their forums and it seems like nobody has a goddamn clue.
>>
>>43999149
Because Star Wars
>>
File: 1384987986438.jpg (337KB, 660x900px) Image search: [Google]
1384987986438.jpg
337KB, 660x900px
>>43998715
>>43998800
>>43998853
>>43998859
>>43998888
>>43998927
>>43998981
This is how actual inquisitorial conclaves look like.
>>
>>43998607
A question concerning the situation now grips me. So /tg/, what would an Inquisitor (who firmly believes in keeping the status quo) do when she puts two and two together, and though lacking direct evidence, discovers that the RT party sold a Halo Artefact? I'm a little stumped. I want to give the RT party a way out of being utterly fucked, but I don't wanna make it easy.
>>
>>43999426
give them the equivalent of a bomb collar and send them to retrieve the artefact back. If they can't, she'll do her inquisitorial duty on them.
>>
>>43999450
Ooooh, a fetch-quest on a timer WHILE also their entire house and business empire is a clusterfuck? I can dig it.
>>
>>43999497
well it is a fetch quest with an investigatory element to it, depending of the halo artefact got resold
>>
>>43999426
>the RT party sold a Halo Artefact
They are so incredibly dead. Halo Artifacts are among the worst shit you can fuck with, period. What were they thinking?
>>
>>43999575
can you tell me more about halo artifact?

also, can any military fag advise how one could properly use three squads of guardsmen?
Should we split them into fire teams? Or equip them with heavy weapons to provide covering fire? What is the "correct" way of handling this firepower smartly?
>>
>>43999672
Basically, they're ridiculously illegal alien artifacts. Which are ALREADY illegal, but this is the difference between weed and meth.

Halo Artifacts make you fucking immortal. The whole shebang. Immune to poison, unnatural vitality, return to youth, regenerate all your scars and bionics, FUCKING. IMMORTALITY. This would, by itself, be plenty to make them illegal. However, they also gradually drive you insane and turn you into a skittering, insectoid, man-eating cannibal horrorshow. That is also immortal and can even come back from death. And yet people will pay money for them.
>>
>>43999672
You'd need to know what the situation was. If you're raiding a building you're going to need a total different approach to clearing streets, and totally different approach to open combat outside.
>>
>>43999575
They had a colony on Agusia, and as part of a spinoff DH adventure, some dumb fucks unearthed an ancient king who turned into a monster and was subsequently shoved into a stasis coffin way back.
The DH adventure ended with the monster set loose, and the RT party was then notified of their colony having gone dark. Then they were contacted by the Serrated Query whom offered to give them crucial information on killing monster if they get to call dibs on the artefact that is embedded in its flesh. The party rallied a righteous mob of Drusian adherents and hunted down the Halo monster, also killing the RT's own character from the DH adventure in cold blood to cover up nabbing the artefact from the damn thing's ashes. Then they stuck around Agusia for a while due to being attacked by pirates, then helped by Stryxis, then betraying the Stryxis, then repairing the damage, then auctioning off captured pirate ships and Stryxis tech... In fact they stuck around long enough for the acolytes' Inquisitor to show up.
Through no small effort of their own and brilliant rolls, they obfuscated all evidence, preventing the Inquisitor from figuring out there was a Halo artefact in the first place as well as the murder of the acolyte. Then a vengeful Stryxis fleet crashed the auction, the Inquisitor got stuck on board their ship (they already shoved off the artefact to the Query under the guise of selling the captured pirate ship) till they fled back to Footfall, hilarity ensued, and finally the party got paid. And now they disappeared for five years, after returning to Calixis and making a deposit of the exorbitant sum that they received for the Halo artefact. I think this deposit is the thing that will finally tip off the Inquisitor that SOMETHING was up. After that, putting two and two together during a period of five years is easy.
>>
>>43999385
I like it.

Would an Incubi ever join a Craftworld Eldar team? In the face of the greater enemy of Slaanesh. I know Incubi do the whole "Tormentor" thing to Aspect soul stones, but I think it'd be awesome if the two Xeno put aside their differences to combat the one responsible for their fall from grace.
>>
>>43999753
I'm happy to listen to any wise words in any situation as there's probably going to be every kind of encounter. Let's start with a clearing a building/hostage rescue and general urban warfare tips.
Thank you very much in advance
>>
>>43999767
>Would an Incubi ever join a Craftworld Eldar team
would ultramarines let a chaos space marine to join their squad in the face of advancing tyranid horde?
>>
>>43999797
mmmmmmmaybe?
>>
>>43999812
no.
>>
>>43999812
are you fucking serious
>>
>>43999770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9BPHQH-lIg

I was going to write a big long expo but honestly it's really much easier to see how the pros do it.

Some things to notice, they always have their guns aimed at uncleared areas of the building in case something appears or someone rounds the corner, and once an area is cleared it's only the rearguard guy who bothers looking that way.

Flashbangs (or blind grenades, since this is 40k) are pretty much indispensible in this kinda combat. Usually you'd have the advantage in a defensive posture because you can conceal yourself and keep aim on the door and get people as they come through, but with flash and clears the people waiting on the other side have the same or less time to react as the people clearing.
>>
>>43999906
Hallucinogenic grenades are good too due to large blast size and relative difficulty of the toughness test.
>>
>>43999906
Aren't 40k flashbangs stun grenades? Blind grenades use chaff and stuff to block things like preysight while smoke blocks normal visuals with a blast size of 1 larger and is much cheaper.
>>
>>44000023
Yeah, good call. Mixing up terms.
>>
>>43999906
lovely, thanks anon
>>
>>43998572
how2make humans as challanging an advesary as xenos

'ard mode: no vehicles
>>
>>44001082
Give them more characteristics, wounds, talents and skills
>>
>>44001082
Use the surroundings - for example, they get ambushed in a dark corridor and the enemies are using GQ photo-visors and flashbangs
>>
>>44001082

>>44001092
Well, I didn't specify what I wanted to. I meant in Only War, as a greater, organized threat, rather than just an encounter.

Basically the question was meant to be: 'How can I make a human army (as experienced by the squad) be as dangerous as the Xenos they would be fit to take on at their XP level?'
>>
>>44001138
this >>44001136 is what I'm after. The sneaky approach is naturally the first thing you think of when trying to make a somewhat inferior force seem threatening.
>>
>>44001138
The answer remains the same? Organized threat means tactics, officers, gear and weapons. Instead of bumbling idiots as taken by the stock IG NPC profile you make them better shots and ambushers, then let's see if your party doesn't want to invest in awareness.
>>
>>44001175
I mean, obviously that's part of it, but it's hardly exhaustive, as the addition of ambush tactics in your comment proved anyways, and it's so obvious that you must see how fucking useless it is to just go 'stat em better'.

These threads in general suck ass, looking through the whole thread there are two, maybe two and a half constructive pieces of advice throughout and one's mine.
>>
>>44001235
Then what do you want? For us to stat NPCs for you and tell you how to use them? Of course you have to "stat them better" if you want them to be a threat, because you can wank yourself every night thinking about how AMBUSHERS your npcs could be, but it's going to matter fuck all if you don't give them talents and skills to actually achieve what they're supposed to do. The same goes for gear.

You asked for general advice and you got it, if you want something more detailed just ask for it instead of acting like a dick and thinking you're the only one worth anything here. Yes I mad.
>>
>>44001082
I found this out the hard way.

A lot of people will say "Ambush tactics" or "Night fighting" or anything of a sort, but players amass an arsenal of gear over their careers and you can bet that at one point one of them got Preysense goggles or something.

Make the players specify what gear they have on them at all times. Then you can tailor encounters to play upon gear they have and gear they don't. They won't always have carapace armour on and someone won't always have a sniper rifle. Simple advice but I learnt the hard way.
>>
>>44001322
did you not read the fucking post? I said statting them higher is a given. You are just standing there and say 'Do the obvious!' Why post at all? You are acting like I was against the notion of statting them up, while in fact I just stated that that's a worthless thing to say.

And don't say it's because it's the only answer, you gave a different one in your next post, as uncreative as it may be.

And I kept the question general to keep the fucking thread alive, so maybe people can talk about the stuff they did to make their small foes more intimidating, or so more different thread s of discussion can come from it. I can GM just fine, when I ask for advice here it's not so I can do my fucking job, it's to talk to people about it.

But yeah, that's not the kind of thing you can do in these threads. it's memes and condescending asshats.
>>
Here's a fun hypothetical for you. An RT party discovers an STC printout. Not a damaged STC constructor, not a library of STC items. A sheet of paper an STC designer made to, say, tell you how to build a new type of scout/maintenace servitor. What reward should the PCs get for it, assuming they don't piss off the Admech by trying to play hardball about it?
>>
>>44001930
A planet at the very least
>>
>>44001930
That's assuming the AdMech simply wont board their ship and steal the printout, because that's by far the most likely outcome.
>>
>>44001930

Admech doesn't buy STCs anymore, they just invade and kill you before filing it in an archive before filling it with cement.

Thanks, new codex...
>>
>>43998572
Heresy DM here,

When I ran a customised derivate of one of the "Purge the Unlclean" Adventures,
my players took over an Ecclesiarchial Minor Cult after they took down its corrupt command echelon for selling Illegal goods to mercs and smugglers. Instead of purging the entire cult those sneaky bastards took over instead and installed a "puppet High Priest" to run daily operations. Thus creating a steady source of income to spend on additional black ops for their Inquisitor.

Of course they earned themselves a pat on the back for this, since we are deep in a conspiracy campaign (leading to the Only War Scenario) and their Inquisitor (Hereticus) is seemingly running low on ressoures.

Still was a jawdropper for me as the DM.
>>
>>44002002
this.
if RT just contacts senior AdMech magos and STARTS THE FUCKING CONVERSATION that he'll be happy to donate the item and will be delighted to continue furtherning the quest for knowledge, then providing good negotiation skills admech would probably offer you some archeotech in return.
At a minumum, the party is entitled to Peer or Good Reputation with AdMech
>>
I asked this a few days ago in its own thread and got some good responses, but I'll ask it again here and see what you folks have to say.

Hey there fa/tg/uys, I'm looking for ideas to make my 40k RPG GMing plain better (specifically Dark Heresy but I'm not picky). So pick any prompt and share your experiences! Shit, if nothing else we'll get to share some good stories. Any or all of the following in reference to any of the 40k RPGs:

What is the most memorable scene from your campaigns?
What is something you've always wanted to see or do in game but haven't been able/allowed to?
What is something your GM did that was straight up BAD or boring?
What is your favorite houserule?
Do you have a favorite homebrew item?
What setting was the most striking for you, out of character?
Who was your favorite NPC and why?
What was your favorite plot, subplot or mission?
Is there a game idea you'd love to play but no GM has been willing to run it?

Anything else you want to share or ideas you have, feel free to dump that jazz.
>>
>>43998715
>>43998800
>>43998853
>>43998859
>>43998888
>>43998927
>>43998981
>>43999385
Recongregator standing by watching this show.
>>
File: pewpewpew.gif (2MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
pewpewpew.gif
2MB, 426x240px
>>44002303
>What is the most memorable scene from your campaigns?
marine bludgeoning bodyguards of a possessed apostate cardinal with a decapitated body of his fellow battle-brother
>What is something you've always wanted to see or do in game but haven't been able/allowed to?
high-speed chace, drive-by, james bondesque ops, suit, martini and a silenced pistol. also picrelated
>Do you have a favorite homebrew item?
sermon skull probe made out of the cranium of annoyingly preachy codex-idolising marine
>Who was your favorite NPC and why?
I like that ordo xenos inquisitor who jammed a soulstone into a bespoke psy helmet to boost his power, however over time the inquisitor's soul gradually merges with the soul of the Eldar Farseer held within the stone.
>What was your favorite plot, subplot or mission?
I am really fond of The Fallen Suns adventure
>>
File: 1380308832046.jpg (50KB, 360x720px) Image search: [Google]
1380308832046.jpg
50KB, 360x720px
>>44002375
>Recongregator

You're like the Amalathian, but thinking you're some kind of revolutionary for thinking "GUys! The Imperium is corrupt and evil! We need to burn it all down and rebuild it!" That there is heresy, son. It's the same kind of grok that every chaos cult peddles to ensnare the ignorant of Imperial society in order to further the dark gods. Now, go back to the academy and do some more required reading (the Codicium Imperialis is excellent) over why the Imperium is the way it is, before spreading dangerous ideas because you're to ignorant and naive to understand their full implications and I'll have to purge your corpus because you've started doing warpdust off Daemonette bosoms because of those ideas.
>>
>>44001481
Simmer down, son, stop getting mad on the internet.
Here is my experience, in DH1e, against a group of 5 rank 4-6 acolytes.
I had a killteam of 6 hardened gangers, probly equivalent to rank 4 each, battle took place in a hive.
Started out with a sniper under a camo cloak pezzing the one their intel described as the "leader" in the head from 140 meters.
As the party takes cover and tries to assess the situation, 2 technicals roll up, each with heavy stubbers in tow. Stubbers open up with pinning checks and keep the fire on. The other 2 move forward with autoguns w/ gls, firing smoke grenades on top of the pcs position, then tac move forward, still reloading the gls and firing frags into their ranks.
PCs who break the pinning are targeted by the sniper who is waiting for someone to poke their head up.
Eventually they make enough checks to break pinning, mow down one of the approaching gangers, sniper brings the adept to -4 body.
At this point, the gangers start chucking firebombs into the groups ranks, people are on fire.
Guardsman someone escapes the noise, breaks out and runs, is let go.
Gangers pull hack shotguns, put those who are still moving to sleep.
Players look at me as I describe these scarred up gangers deftly reloading the hack shotguns to doubletap the bigger acolytes, like the techpriest.
>>
>>44002562
>started doing warpdust off Daemonette bosoms because of those ideas.
I really hate daemons, Anon. What the Imperium is a necessary evil that is true, but improving it would mean it would be harder for the enemies of man to use our necessary evils for their own purposes.
>>
Posting the copypasta.

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

Enemies Without:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l7lem6jxxnl6nu2/Enemies+Without.pdf

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.5.1), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Remember, ask a specific question, we'll be happy to help. But if you're vague, we'll tell you to make your players fight necrons. Probably.
>>
>>44003011
Good timing, I was just about to ask.
>>
>>44003092

No problem man. I have the CopyPasta saved to a .txt file so I always pop into these threads to see if anyone posted it. If not, I post it myself.

I've had Anons complain that the CopyPasta is old and stale. I'm not sure the logic behind that because really, it's just a collection of links and resources. Whatever, people will bitch about anything here.
>>
File: slap.jpg (5KB, 158x152px) Image search: [Google]
slap.jpg
5KB, 158x152px
>>44003172
>If not, I post it myself.
keep this bloated piece of shit in your txt don't don't post it here
>>
>>44002030
What? That's stupid. They can't just invade and kill you when you inform them of a STC you want to give them.
>>
>>44003229
You could take your opinion and shove it up the eye of terror.
>>
>>44003229

Why? What's your reasoning? It's a collection of resources, and it's not like it takes up much needed room or post length. How many characters do we get to post? 2000? We get 315ish bumps per thread? It's rare that these threads get up that high, and it's not even close to the character limit.

All I hear from that is "Waaah, I don't like extra stuff." Bugger off, most people like having extra shit to draw from to work from. Plus it was asked in this thread >>43999149 for a PDF version of Enemies Without.

Pretty sure it helps more than it hurts.
>>
>>44002704
You say that now, young Inquisitor. But follow those ideas to their logical (and demonstrable) conclusion and that is what will happen. I have seen it hundreds of times in my centuries long career in the Holy Ordos. The 10 millennia long history, both the secret and the public, of our Imperium demonstrates it constantly. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and it inevitably leads there. Reformers all over the Imperium start out the same, then inevitably, they either were pawns of the dark gods to begin with or were corrupted into their service.

Noble ideals, but dangerous and corrupting and we should not allow them in our thoughts.
>>
>>44003229
You sir are an idiot
>>
>>44003354
Maybe it's time to just be a Purtian before I do anything officially as a radical.
>>
>>44003407
Puritanism is the only way and monodominance is the only puritan path. Become a radical and you become a heretic, it is that simple.
>>
>>44003487
And the other Purtian beliefs?
>>
>>44003544
Paths leading to radicalism and finally heresy.
>>
>>44003572
Is there any charts on this?
>>
>>44003487
>monodominants
Yes, kill the filthy mutant Navigators and the monstrous psyker filth! Kill them all! Now we have no FTL travel and no FTL comms because it turns out Navigators and Astropaths are kinda necessary. And then the Imperium falls like a bad souffle. Oops.
>>
>>44003783
Of course we should. We must not allow the mutants to have such a crushing grasp upon us. And this is why we have the Adeptus Mechanicus, so that we can rediscover the technological solutions our ancestors used so that we can remove our sinful and crippling dependency on these abominations.
>>
>>44003898
I hear the tau have Navigatorless FTL. I'm sure if you grab some...wait, no. That's heresy. Too bad.
>>
>>44003938
The who? Are you implying that we should use the vile technologies of perfidious aliens? Surely if you had any intellectual faculty you would see that is not what I am saying. But you are clearly a bottom befuddled psyker of some sort and/or possibly a heretic, so I am not surprised you misconstrue the views of a righteous man.
>>
>>44004007
>a righteous man
There is no such thing as righteousness, nor innocence, only degrees of guilt.
>>
>>44003898
And if the Emperor wants to also make new technology?
>>
>>44004057
Yes there are innocent people. Chaos just kills them because it needs their blood.
>>
>>44004057
Oh go somewhere else with your paranoid ramblings, Karamazov. You are a cook and an incompetent and you know it.

>>44004062
I don't think there is a way to make divine inspiration more literal then that.
>>
>>44004098
Unfortunately Malcodor didn't give the Emperor enough juice to say "new technology is okay! Remember that! Write it down in my blood! It's dripping everywhere!"
>>
>>44004098
>You are a cook
>time to oil up
>>
>>44004141
Behold the works of the heretic, here he attempts to make a mockery of our most holy emperor and his humble servant with facetous remarks and calling the divinity and infallibility of our Lord into question.
>>
>>44004200
I'm not mocking Emps. He wouldn't say that but he'd say something that has the same idea.
>>
>>43998572
>To start things off, what's the most insane thing your party has ever done? Survival is optional, but it's a nice bonus.
PC about to be killed by rampaging cultists specifically trying to use forbidden knowledge to summon a Bloodletter to kill all the cultists, then kill him and dispell the summoning. All to give time for the rest of the PCs to escape and give vital information to the Inquisition.
>>
File: Imperial_Knights_Heraldry.jpg (160KB, 1024x805px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Knights_Heraldry.jpg
160KB, 1024x805px
So, I asked this last thread but it went down in flames really quickly.

I want to run a game for three players where they take the role of being of Imperial Knights in a Lance and/or Household. I have an idea that they all go on something very similar to the grailquest and have similar Arthurian themes to the story.

Which of the systems would work best for this? I'm personally leaning towards OW since I've statted an Imperial Knight for it previously, but the basic class systems might work better for it in the others. Also, would it work better narratively if they are all from the same house, different houses or are all Freeblades?
>>
>>44004296
Any of the three plot ideas has some grounding in one way or another.

Though Imperial and Mechanicus houses don't share much more love with each other than the Imperium and Mechanicus themselves do, they'd be willing to work together if the need presents itself...so long as the houses involved don't have any sort of feud with each other.
The thing about Knight Houses is that they run on a very feudal system, so tradition is pretty much a religion in itself. Therefore, if there was some incident some thousand years ago, when a member of Player A's house killed a member of Player B's house in an honorable duel, there's not gonna be much chance for partnership.

But Freeblades would probably offer the most chance for characterization. After all, they're separate from the houses they once hailed from, and thus have the most opportunity to be unique. They're also pretty much mercenaries.
>>
>>44003783
I've never got the irrational hatred for psykers. The fucking Emperor himself was a psyker. I think that view, within the context of the Warhammer universe, is utterly ridiculous.

Been reading the Eisenhorn Omnibus and was just thinking about how retarded they are.
>>
>>44004424
>I've never got the irrational hatred for psykers. The fucking Emperor himself was a psyker.

Because you're looking at it from an outsiders POV. For the people the Imperium, the Emperor isn't a psyker, he's a capital g God. And psykers are walking, talking potential daemonic possession hazards, which is an incredibly big fucking deal with how dangerous Chaos is, just aswell as they're seen as witches during the most hysteric parts of the witch hunts in Europe.
>>
File: Paladin danse joins the navy.jpg (683KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin danse joins the navy.jpg
683KB, 1920x1080px
Rolling characters for Rogue Trader tomorrow. I've never played before.

I'm going to be playing an Urbworld nazi who's background was torching uggo muties on a rebellious agri world. I want to have him be fellowship based and command NPC redshirt squads to their death.

How should I go about this mechanically?
>>
>>44004296

If you use Rogue Trader, you can use the Knights in the books in >>44003011, which has Knights, Knight Equipment, Knight Career, Knight Ranks, everything except the new knight that came out a few weeks back.
>>
>>44004710
Missionary?
Get the Command skill?
Make an acquisition to acquire a lot of Redshirts.
>>
>>44004296
Make them all Freeblades, but use Shas's rules.
I would use Dark Heresy.
>>
>>44004754
I'll look those up. I wasn't going to make him heavily religious (for 40k terms, at least) since we already have an emprah-thumping missionary. Is it viable to do that as an arch militant?

I want to be sort of like pic related. Spouts the party line, but is actually corrupt as shit and just abusing his power.
>>
File: tumblr_n8sk99g3vd1sjel1co1_500.jpg (127KB, 465x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8sk99g3vd1sjel1co1_500.jpg
127KB, 465x750px
>>44004392
>The thing about Knight Houses is that they run on a very feudal system, so tradition is pretty much a religion in itself.
I am aware of that, part of why I want to run this campaign because I love Imperial Knights and I have written up fluff about feuding knight houses in the homebrew sector I run my games in.

>But Freeblades would probably offer the most chance for characterization.
Yeah, I've been leaning towards that being more fun for players.

>>44004723
>>44004769
I've checked Shas rules, while they're very good conversion of RAW TT rules to RT, they don't mesh with how I play and GM the game. Basically they fit the style of game Shas runs very well, not so much the way I do it. But I'm using them as a reference for my own homebrewing simply to have something to compare to.

Either way, a further question since I'm leaning towards the "grail quest in 40k" plot. What sort of item would work best as a not!Holy Grail narratively? Some form of Archeotech? STC printout? Saintly relic?
>>
>>44004804
Then Arch-militant should be doable for ya. Look up some of the advanced background options from Into the Storm.
>>
>>44004886

Well then, we need to know your style of gaming and what "feels" right for you. We can't really help without a baseline to compare to.

The best "grail" for a knight house would be an STC printout for one of their archeotech systems (like a cerastus weapon or so) or a knightly relic (like a flare shield or legendary knight weapon).
>>
>>44004424
It isn't as irrational as you think it is. During the Age Of Strife there was a psyker problem which lead to a general psyker hate.
>>
>>44004940
>Well then, we need to know your style of gaming and what "feels" right for you. We can't really help without a baseline to compare to.

Well, I tend towards narrativist style of gaming, rather than gamist or simulationist. But my objections to Shas is more how we use rules to represent fluff, where I find his rules are too slavishly adherent to the TT rules, who are more written to make a "fun" and "balanced" game rather than representing fluff (GW's inability to write rules that are either of those notwithstanding), whereas I tend to write stuff that is more representative of (how I interpret) fluff and far more similar to how FFG writes rules. Not to say I don't use the TT rules as a reference. That make sense for you?

>The best "grail" for a knight house would be an STC printout for one of their archeotech systems (like a cerastus weapon or so) or a knightly relic (like a flare shield or legendary knight weapon).
Alright, or something that's important to a specific house, like a banner, heraldic shield or something similar. Or if the Knights are members of a greater expedition with another Imperial organisation, such as the Mechanicus or a Ecclesiarchy you could go for a completely different type of relic.
>>
>>44004886
A chalice of Drusus.
Old school is best school.
>>
>>44005239

I'll assume you have the rules side under control then. How powerful do you want the players to be OUTSIDE their knights - that's the big question. Foppish nobles? Dark Heresy. Stronger than the average commoner? Rogue Trader.

Rogue trader may be best, to represent the Sacristans and support seneschals a Knight House carries with it.

And a long-lost heraldric shield of the house would work well.
>>
>>44005263
I don't run games in Calixis, but something that simple has struck my mind. Helps that I just watched Excalibur too.

>>44005355
I'm not super fond of the class systems of DH1 and RT, but I'll give RT a closer look atleast (DH1's "you suck at life" ranks while hilarious are not entirely conductive to this type of play).

One of the bigger issues I'm facing is honestly challenging the players, because my vision is that all three players are Knight Scions and I'm having some issues with figuring what kind of combat challenges they could have (social challenges I'm not at all worried by) that doesn't simply entail throwing thousands of orks/cultists/mooks at them or a Stompa.
>>
>>44005355
Alternatively, you could simply give them more starting experience in a weaker powered system.
>>
>>44005564

Daemon engines, superheavy vehicles, gargantuan tyranids, chaos or eldar knights, there's a lot to consider. You may have to stat most of it yourself. Can you post your version of an example knight?
>>
>>44003011
Is the knight part any good?
>>
>>44005663
>Daemon engines, superheavy vehicles, gargantuan tyranids, chaos or eldar knights, there's a lot to consider.
Figured as much and thankfully, most of it has precedent in the FFG systems with similar stuff having been statted.
>Can you post your version of an example knight?
Uh, sure. Currently working on it, so it's very WIP. I've incorperated some of Shas's rules (such as invincible behemoth) and his phrasing for the Ion shield (which was clearer than mine). But some of it might be redundant with the other rules I have (my basic knight rules are based on the Dreadnought rules from Deathwatch), so it might disappear for later iterations.

Also, the first page is some notes on the combat tactics for one of my Knight houses.
>>
>>44005832

Wow, your knights might actually be more powerful than shas's weapon/defense-wise. But the mix of half-vehicle/half-dreadnought rules seems clunky. I've read it a few times now, and I'm still trying to figure out how to dodge. I'm guessing it's impossible.

Also, why are your knights Monumental? Even a Warhound is only Massive in Rites of Battle. That's fucking huge.
>>
>>44006198
>Wow, your knights might actually be more powerful than shas's weapon/defense-wise
>Also, why are your knights Monumental?
My knights are written with the OW vehicle rules in mind, who when I compared to the earlier iterations of the vehicle system seems to be make things somewhat more powerful than in say, DW and RT and size categories have been overhauled (a battle titan would for instance be one size category larger in the OW size rules than a knight, iirc). They're the same size category as the Baneblade statted in the OW corebook and generally written comparatively to the "powerlevels" of the Baneblade (both the TT rules and rpg rules). And generally from my comparisons to the few weapons I've statted to Shas's, we basically do slightly different things for the same results. Except in the case of the Thermal cannon, which I think he gave to low damage.

>But the mix of half-vehicle/half-dreadnought rules seems clunky. I've read it a few times now, and I'm still trying to figure out how to dodge. I'm guessing it's impossible.
It probably is a bit clunky, yeah. Dodging should be possible, since "Knight Engines make Combat Actions in the same manner as a foot soldier with the following limitations." but it's not really put clearly. It's one of the things I'm working the most on. Because I don't find that the vehicle rules RAW or RAI really represent how Knights work in fluff (or TT) well.
>>
>>44006505

I think I can understand the melta problem. Speaking as a player in Shas's last knight game, I saw that on average it would take about 5-6 melta shots with the Melta quality to down a knight using his rules.

And then I remembered that on tabletop knights have 6 hull points, 6 times they can take a meltagun before dying. Shas really did let the tabletop guide EVERYTHING.
>>
File: 1393739055065.jpg (159KB, 768x362px) Image search: [Google]
1393739055065.jpg
159KB, 768x362px
>>44006641
I generally disagree more on precedent. The Thermal cannon is a S9 weapon, his version does as much damage as Battle cannon (3d10+10) a S8 weapon. Another S9 weapon statted in the FFG systems is the MP Lascannon. It does 5d10+10 damage. I erred on the side of "FUCK EVERYTHING" with as much max damage as the lascannon, but higher minimum and max damage. But don't get me started on trying to accurately stat a D weapons damage. I think neither me, Shas nor FFG has made an elegant solution that represents how they work in fluff, or how they work in the TT. Because if you slap on a shitload of dice on it with a pretty low base damage (FFG's Volcanon cannon does 10d10+20E Pen 20), your godlike titan-slaying weapon can be made really fucking silly with a mediocre or bad diceroll. Shas does a somewhat similar solution and faces similar problems (it'd be hilarious to see someone roll minimum damage with the Thunderstrike gauntlet he statted). My solution only really has damage consistency and a slightly buffed variant of Accurate to get really obnoxious levels of damage. Neither solution is particularly elegant or superior to the other.

>Shas really did let the tabletop guide EVERYTHING.
Like I said upthread, it's one of my main disagreements with how he does rules. It's also why I reckon he gave his Knights 60 SI.
>>
>>44006920
> but higher minimum and max damage.
Err, obviously I mean average damage not max.
>>
>>43999797
Hang on, don't the two types of Eldar actually have (relatively) cordial relations with one another? Seeing as they are both Eldar? I might be wrong, but I swore that was how it was.
>>
>>44006920
Volcano cannon instantly kills things size 5 or smaller.
>>
>>44007249
Yes and I incorperated it into my own Destroyer rules. Doesn't really stop it from looking really silly with a bad roll against say, a Leman Russ.
>>
>>43998572
They convinced a detachment of Storm Wardens to assault the Sector Governor's palace and kidnap one of his aides. They suspected the aide was chaos corrupted and was mind controlling the governor.
He wasn't.
The Governor was not pleased.
>>
As a lowly citizen of the empire, I wonder if we could give the Lord emperor a form of communication with us, his retinue?

Surely with the technology to create survitors and the... appendages the adeptus mechanicus have. Surely we could do something as simple as say, a form of speech? Then surely he could lead all of our people to glory?

-A citizen.
>>
>>44007719
>Empire
It's Imperium, you...you double heretic
>>
>>44007944
Meh, making sense doesn't seem to be that important in the imperium. My bad.

in all seriousness, though. Am I the only one that gets the idea that the inquisitors figured out they dun goofed, and now are just hoping that the emperor doesn't kill them all when the religious fervor of mankind turns him into a god of chaos?
>>
>>44008120
No. First, the Inquisition doesn't run the Imperium, the High Lords of Terra do. The Inquisition is only one seat on that council. Second, anyone who knew the Emperor is long dead or not a reliable witness. Third, any records from that time are at least as nonexistent/untrustworthy. Fourth, the "Chaos God Emperor" is only a fan theory, no more or less. So...no.
>>
>>44008328
But there is prescient. Emotion affects the warp. That's why slanessh exists. It given the most 'normal' of creations as it was literally fucked into existence. Also see: Gork and Mork. The fact that Orks are savant level in that respect is simply delaying the inevitable. eventually, humanities collective warp manipulation will create a god. The worst part, in my opinion? It won't even be the man they worship, but a being entirely of their own creation. I don't see a logical way it could happen differently INB4 LAWL GW CANNOT INTO LOGIC
>>
File: 1335675203932.jpg (169KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1335675203932.jpg
169KB, 500x500px
So, today's Rogue Trader session was pretty relax, more of a character build-type of deal. We're all rank 3 and slowly building our crime empire up from the gutters.

My Ork suddenly becomes interested in the more weird fings as he's set on the path to become a Mek-boy. He's grasped the concept of medicae too, after watching our resident Tau Firewarrior perform delicate surgery on our wounded comrades.

We got a new member on our team, an Eldar farseer whom is very "eksentrik" and can't seem to shut up most of the time. My Ork can only bear so much of his yammering "Mon'keigh this, Primitive that" , so he ultimately decides it'd be best to use his Injektor on him with a double dose of Obscura.

After seeing the thing writhe around on the floor for a while in a semi-trance dream-like state, he suddenly turns a few gears in his head that this is kind of a cool deal, so he decides to walk back to his Mek-Garage.

On the way back, I pass by the "grunt-pit" where our grunts train and lift weights for a living. My Orky self sits down to enjoy a big gulp of motor-oil and coffee before gettin to his project. He notices the guys juicing themselves up with protein powder shakes and ration bars.

This is where it struck him.

"Da stimulantz.. grow da muscle.. coffe givs da energy.."
>>
File: flipthatbird.jpg (112KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
flipthatbird.jpg
112KB, 736x490px
Got a notion to throw my PCs into aerial combat with a bounty hunter and his Lightning fighter. Have the imperial aeronautica vehicles been statted anywhere?
>>
>>44009968
A handful of them show up in RT and DW. But they're sorely missing in all the 40k RPG's.
>>
File: CalixisStarfighter.jpg (56KB, 455x342px) Image search: [Google]
CalixisStarfighter.jpg
56KB, 455x342px
>>44010101
Darn. Guess I gotta do some educated guesswork based on those few examples. You'd think they'd have the Valkyrie in Only War at least, y'know?
>>
>>44010146
It's funny how Only War has rules for anti-air, but no aircraft. The typical valkyrie doesn't show up in any of the systems BUT, the Valkyrie skytalon shows up in the Citadel of Skulls adventure.
>>
File: bountyhunter.jpg (208KB, 436x856px) Image search: [Google]
bountyhunter.jpg
208KB, 436x856px
>>44010242
Well, that's something at least - thanks for the heads up dude!
>>
>>44010323
Happy to help.
>>
>>44010101

I made some using the TFiY Vehicle rules. They work pretty well.
>>
What are your predictions for Enemies Beyond? Do you think we're going to get more stats for Grey Knights? Sanctic Powers?How borked is the Culexus Assassin going to be?
>>
File: BRB.jpg (107KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
BRB.jpg
107KB, 250x250px
>>43998981
>sit in a drum circle and sing kumbaya

Hang on, this is a canon option? Be right back, Baby!
[exits to fetch grimdark Nehru jacket]
>>
>>44010242
It feels like OW died sooner than expected to work on star wars instead.
>>
File: 1422037190748.jpg (17KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
1422037190748.jpg
17KB, 400x287px
>>44004769
>Shas's rules
>>
>>44016265
It really does, which is an absolute shame. Because there are several more splatbooks they could do, like Aeronautica or a splatbook focusing on Commissars, Stormtroopers and Psykers, which I would hazard to guess were in the works until they got their Star Wars license.
>>
Bumping so it doesn't fall off the board.
>>
>>44017280
>Still no competent Aeronautica rules
Seriously, the Enemies Without stats are a terrible joke. Tactical Speeds in the thousands of meters with weapons with ranges of a couple hundred meters? Did FFG think about that for even one second?
>>
>>44018414
What is max rage in DH2 anyway, four times listed?

If so then the Autocannon's max range is equal to the Aqualia lander's tactical speed, if the armament is for ground defence and not dedicated air-to-air combat then it doesn't bother me too much but otherwise ehh...
>>
I had such a great session guys.

We were essentially gang-pressed into retinue of a cunt-of-a-person hardcore puritan and are going to siege a radical inquisitor's base next session and lay claim to sexy eldar waifus she's hiding there before - what it seems - moving on to take out our very own inquisitor because reportedly he had been a very naughty boy.
>>
File: iSsxBNA.png (196KB, 489x237px) Image search: [Google]
iSsxBNA.png
196KB, 489x237px
>>44023581
forgot pic. this is the radical inquisitor asking us what do we think about working for her. she didn't mention explosive collars during the interview though
>>
File: 2015-12-06_00022.jpg (302KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-06_00022.jpg
302KB, 1440x810px
Aside from the mandatory retaliatory purge, what actions are appropriate for the memorial of a fallen Astartes?
>>
>>44023870
The colours of the Chapter wherever they fell would be good.
>>
>>44023625
She's rather puritan, not radical. Doesn't make her less of a cunt.
>>
>>44024280
derp, right.
but yeah, a terrible person with little decorum.

The road to warp is paved with good intentions, they say.
>>
>>44025150
>a terrible person with little decorum
So, your average Peer of the Imperium, then.
>>
Goodnight bump
>>
>>43998572

The group got arrested by the Inquisition and sent to prison.
Black Crusade sure is a bitch sometimes. But they fucked up hard.
>>
>>44032078
>arrested by the Inquisition
>sent to prison
That's not how it works...
>>
>>44032856

FFG says that's how it works, and they're more canon than GW at this point.
>>
>>43998572
Any of the books allow you to play as something other than human/imperium/Marine?
>>
>>44033063
Official RT has Ork, Kroot, Tau and a couple Eldar variants. Outside of that, there's Shas' massively overhyped stuff.
>>
>>44033113
Sorry which books exactly? I have the RT core.
>>
>>44033179
Into the Storm has Ork and Kroot stuff.
Navis Primer has Ork Wierdboyz.
Soul Reaver has Dark Eldar, and a supplement with more careers.
Tau Character Guide has Tau.
>>
>>44033179
Ork and Kroot are in 'Into the Storm' which is fucking incredible and 100% required for every group
Dark Eldar are in 'Soul Reaver' which doubles as an adventure
The Tau book is a stand-alone PDF, which sucks

A few other people have made their own custom rules, that one guy who made the Abhuman rules has some which can generally considered to be more... Reasonable, than the alternative of Shas.
>>
>>44033113

I thought Shas' stuff was actually pretty good. I haven't actually used it yet but it was pretty balanced. Necrons can be pretty over-powered but you're pretty hindered at the beginning of the game.

>>44033179

Fear and Loathing, and The Fringe is Yours, look here: >>44003011
>>
>>44032856

What?
Depends on the degree of heresy.
Actively summoning a demon? Yeah, they'd get shot/tortured.
Just attempting to undermine the local government or trading with Xenos? Jailtime, especially if you're a nobleman.
>>
>>44033228
Mooost excellent. Thank you!
>>
>>44033283

His Necrons have an experience tax they have to pay on everything, and they get less skills and talents than a human. A Necron will be very good at his job, but utterly unable to branch out from that job.
>>
>>44033316

Yup, but they also have weapons that have Haywire quality as well as they don't die from Critical Damage, don't take Fear tests, can't be poisoned, etc. They have a lot of passive abilities and immunities right off the bat, so it makes it pointless to have stuff like Jaded in there. What more Talents would you want?
>>
>>44023870
Assuming this is Deathwatch, consecrating his weapons and armour and returning them to his chapter along with his geneseed would be a good start.
>>
File: 1444754864724.jpg (254KB, 1280x1306px) Image search: [Google]
1444754864724.jpg
254KB, 1280x1306px
>>44023870
Is it shameful to not be able to recover a fellow member of the DEATH WATCH's geneseed?
The squadmate set a plasma reactor to overload and then held off a Genestealer Patriarch to ensure the team escaped with vital intel, but of course his body was obliterated in the maelstrom that cleansed the infestation.
>>
>>44036701
That is always bad. If not outright shameful it's still going to left a bad taste in the mouth of any leader and squad forced to leave the dead without taking the glands.
>>
>>43999797
I thought a group of dark eldar helped out Iyanden when they were getting nommed?
>>
>>44037721
Only because they thought Lyanden becoming a Craftworld of zombies was hilarious and they wanted it to continue being a hilarious black mark on every Craftworld's honor.
>>
I'm considering playing one of the 40k RPGs. I have two issues:
I only have one other person to play with.
We both have no Roleplay experience beyond 2 DnD sessions way back when.

How good are these for new roleplayers? Which one would suit two people (a GM and a single player)?
>>
>>44038281
I´d say Dark heresy is a good place to start. It´s the simplest of all of them and propably the closest you can get to the classic adventure RPG.

It´s also the simplest one system-wise. Only psykers are kinda broken
>>
>>44036701

Depends.
If they're literally nuked like you said, its not as bad because the geneseed is destroyed, not compromised.
But if left in a way that genestealers or such can retrieve them that's pretty damn shameful.
>>
>>44036701
heroic sacrifice brings you no shame as the circumstances were beyond your control.
>>
>>44002303
We had a chase scene in an OW campaign where we had to outrun a giant psyker teddy bear in a Leman Russ while a bunch of Chaos Clown cultists shot at us with rockets. We ended up doing a barrel roll over a bridge as it exploded. It was fucking rad.
>What is something you've always wanted to see or do in game but haven't been able/allowed to?
Play a kung fu astropath
>What is something your GM did that was straight up BAD or boring?
Started our BC campaign with our characters fighting each other unarmed for the amusement of the GMPC daemonhost.
>What is your favorite houserule?
If your PC dies in OW, you can upgrade your comrade to a real character immediately and play using them.
>Do you have a favorite homebrew item?
My GM let me use a combination sword/groxwhip like Ivy from Soul Calibur or the threaded cane from Bloodborne.
>What setting was the most striking for you, out of character?
My GM's version of Mordian was batshit insane and I loved it.
>Who was your favorite NPC and why?
Not exactly an NPC, but my psyker's comrade was basically a fat Elvis impersonator who we ended up electing the main character.
>What was your favorite plot, subplot or mission?
Discovering that the conspiracy on our chartist ship was being perpetrated by an Abominable Intelligence that had been corrupted by Nurgle.
>Is there a game idea you'd love to play but no GM has been willing to run it?
A ship gets sent back in time to the Great Crusade, campaign ensues.
>>
Tell me /tg/, can my Rogue Trader navigator mono upgrade their claws/Natural Weapons? I can not seem to find rules that state they could not.
>>
>>44038785
>Dark heresy
I hope you mean DH2. DH1 is not a good place for people to start.

>>44038281
I'd suggest Only War as a place to start. Its Band of Brothers in space basically. Not so high powered you're left asking "what now" and gives you a fair amount of direction from the GM.
>>
>>44042250
Monomolecular blades wouldn't translate well to natural claws as you'd have to get them sharpened every few attacks, logically it wouldn't make sense
HOWEVER if you wanna get cybernetics then anything is possible with your pneumatic acrylic polish and replacement adamantine phalanges
>>
>>44042768

What's wrong with DH1?
I started it years ago and IMO its better for people unfamiliar with 40k.
The classes fit you into a predetermined, lore-friendy archetype and the classes have limited advancements so they dont have to do deep research.
>>
>>44042947
>What's wrong with DH1?
A lot.

The biggest two issues I have with DH1 is the advancement trees. I find them restrictive, which is somewhat counter to the nature of Table Top RPGs, in my view.

Second, the skill system is bloated and its so easy to take ranks in things you've never or exceedingly rarely use making them wasted points.

This isn't mentioning the mechanical issues I have with DH1...
>>
>>44042856
Yeah, It might be safer to settle for some cybernetics that can do about the the same. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>44043129
So one's your opinion and the other is dependent on the GM
DH1 is great for new people because it inherently breaks people of the mindset that they're special snowflakes and are going on an adventure to plunder space dungeons and be friends with space elves
Because the advancements are limited and balanced with one another you have a steady progression of abilities whereas in the free advancement systems with 750xp you can either get three more wounds or get some truly game breaking shit like step aside, lightning attack, or forbidden lores
People who start with DH get to gradually understand the nuances of a d100 system instead of it being shoved down their throat all at once as they scramble to get all the cheese they can and gloss over any skills or talents that actually give them character
Mechanically I'll agree it leaves a lot to be desired when compared to later books but it's not unplayable or even really too different from the later rules
>>
Updating, this is the DH2e guardsman that was stuck in a snowstorm with his warband and ran off by himself to waylay an approaching force.
It was actually a great success, and now you will here of the Larl of Jenquin's success in solo battle today.
The party was wounded and exhausted by the cold, so, using a dry fired flamer, set some bodies on fire, told the party to shut up, sit down, eat and drink while I go, then went off into the storm.
I moved about 100 meters away, setting up a glowglobe in the snow, then moved 20 meters west, hiding myself in the snow and preparing my bow with my fire arrows.
Sure enough, the raiders returned in a cart being pulled by essentially a wooly mammoth, checking out the glowglobe in the snow. I aimed, fired the arrow at the mammoth, setting it alight from my position. As the raiders clustered around the mammoth to put out the fire on it's shoulder, I neatly dropped a frag grenade right in their midst. It explodes with a muffled boom that the rest of the warband can hear, killing one of the 4 raiders and sending the mammoth into a frenzy, running off into the night.
I then draw my laspistol, suppressing the remaining 3, sending 1 running after the mammoth, another diving into the snow, but one stands and begins firing at me, catching me in the shoulder with a slug. I brush it off, continuing suppressive fire, forcing both of the men into the snow.
Seeing them down, I bear down on them with a great sword, striking mightily at them as they lay prone, severing one's leg, and nearly cutting the other in two as he rises and tries to flee. I take a moment to give thanks to the Emperor for the victory He has given me in this snowy wasteland, then pull the pistols and ammo from the dead before moving on another 30 or so steps and concealing myself again, waiting for the rest.
>cont.
>>
>>44043129

That doesn't explain how DH1E is bad for new players. Only the skill argument really applies to that.

I agree that DH2E is better but 1E is more accessible to people unfamiliar with 40k and roleplaying.
>>
>>44043279
>but it's not unplayable or even really too different from the later rules
Full Auto gives +10 to hit, going prone makes you easier to hit with ranged if you go by RAW.

Only War has the best rules in any of the 40k systems I think. Hell, it even has the you can swap out DoS for damage to prevent you from getting like 7 DoS and rolling minimum for damage. Which is kind of nice.

>>44043350
I don't like DH2 as much, wouldn't recommend that either for someone totally new to role playing. Sucks most of the flavor out of the game, I absolutely loathe the new character creation.

Generally, I see DH needing more universe knowledge to play whereas Only War its pretty straight forward: Shoot the enemy, try not to die, hope you don't get shot by your own side.
>>
File: 1437012147584.gif (3MB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
1437012147584.gif
3MB, 425x425px
>>44043345
And then they came.
3 carts full of raiders, all of whom were on the alert, piling out and hunting.
I ready another fire arrow, firing at a mammoth...
>91
>fuck
GM rolls for where it lands....
>hits one of the wagons, setting it on fire
>this is the look my GM and I exchanged, swear on me mum
The raiders begin panicking and shooting in all directions in the darkness and swirling snow. Meanwhile, I gtfo like a goddamn ghost, meeting up with the warband after an hours time resting, where we continue our march to the hive city.
Upon getting there, I pass out from exhaustion and massive amounts of fatigue built up, secure that I have done my Emperor given duty of protecting the damned idiots I call a warband not only from themselves, but from our enemies.
And it was good.
>>44043414
>Sucks most of the flavor out of the game
I don't think giving the player the option to create the character they want, within loose limits, kills flavor, anon.
>>
>>44043414
I'm pretty sure that swap DoS for damage has been there since 1e.
>>
>>44043414
The combat is a bit tarded in pre-OW, but dark heresy should only have combat at a grand finale where they storm a cult plus whatever curveballs are thrown at you by the GM
This doesn't excuse it but it isn't unplayable and no prone doesn't raw make you easier to hit, read it again
>>
>>44043414

I agree with >>44043478

The classes being more vague doesn't remove the flavor; it allows you instead to craft a more developed character. This requires more knowledge of the universe, however, so it's safe to say anyone that prefers DH1E's system of character classes doesn't know much about 40k in the first place.
>>
>>44044180
The argument is that DH1 is better for new players who have no knowledge of 40k
>>
>>44044253

I wasn't arguing against that proposition, just commenting that DH2 has a better creation system.
>>
>>44043129
You need to stop existing mate. DH1 is the way, you can move on to 2e later.
>>
File: Chaos Up in This Motherfucker.jpg (67KB, 550x495px) Image search: [Google]
Chaos Up in This Motherfucker.jpg
67KB, 550x495px
Anyone doing at Black Crusade over skype or IIRC?
>>
>>44043414
Me and my group played DH1 with Only war combat rules. Worked pretty well.
>>
is it worth getting the DH1 splats and such for DH2E? i've got enemies within but i wouldnt mind having more in the way of bestiaries and such
>>
Can khorne aligned marines act like dark apostles?
>>
>>44046839
It's a harder path to Khorne's favour than berzerking for sure, but he cares not from whence the blood flows. If you can incite wars and great bloodbaths and guide many potential warriors into Khorne's flock, the Blood God will know.
>>
So I'm starting a Dark Heresy campaign for my group and I'm getting kinda bored of the Xenos, Hereticus, Malleus trifecta. Anyone got any good small or custom made minor ordos they've ran with good results?
>>
>>44051097
Just don't worry about it and run whatever kind of mission you feel like. Or alternatively look into the sub factions of the inquisition and find one of those that fits
>>
>>44051134

Yeah, I've run it before and generally no matter the ordo I do it tends to blend into one generic one. I was just looking for suggestions fluff wise

I was thinking of making them part of a new ordo called "Ordo Forensi" that is basically the CSI group. Other ordos call them in to investigate crime scenes.
Kinda like the Verispex from DH1E but more diverse and actionable.
>>
>>44051214
>CSI: Hive City Myamy
I'd play it.
>>
>>44044863
could be bb gurl
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>44051253

Yeah, that's the idea I'm going for with it.

>players called to the scene by Ordo Xenos
>human corpses everywhere
>one dead ork in the corner
>Ordo Inqusitor informs them that witnesses saw the a contingent of Orks fleeing the scene not long after, this is the only one that died
>party face speaks up
>"I guess that means this ork..."
>puts on glasses
>"Must have been a little green"
>YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
Hi friends
anyone have a good playlist for background music for dark heresy? i've got my first session tomorrow and wont have time to but together a playlist
>>
>>44052893

http://www.awesomedice.com/blog/123/call-of-cthulhu-mood-music/

I use this list for my CoC and DH stuff, so it might be good.
Hard to find good ambient stuff though in my experience.
>>
>>43998572
We helped end a massive warp storm that an alternate set of ourselves had caused in a different timeline that bled into our own after a botched ritual. Ordo Chronos is spooky as fuck guys.
>>
>>44002611
Was.. the party happy with such a "rock falls" scenario?
>>
>>44053131
this is sweet, thanks anon
now if only roll20's jukebox interface wasnt fucking garbage
>>
>>44046467
I'd personally say that the entire line of games work well with each other when looking for inspiration for gear, foes, challenges.
>>
>>44053367
Are you complaining that being stuck in a snowstorm at night can be a very lethal prospect, or that the players blew their subtlety so hard a raider crew knew their landing zone?
I didn't bitch that we had a tough road, that's the name of the game in DH. Good sense, good planning, and a little Emperor given luck got everyone thru, despite 2 critically injured people that had to be half carried 9 kilos.
>tl;dr keep your baby mode games for something that isn't 40k, I like my uphill battles
>>
>>44043524
Wait, where is this stated in OW? I don't remember ever coming across this rule.
>>
How strong is Imperial guard Armour exactly?

Would it stop most modern ballistics or is it Just slightly better than Kevlar?
>>
>>44056235
There is no reliable real life comparison to any gear in 40k in terms of effectiveness, and even asking that is considered a tired troll question.
The answer is "Whatever it needs to be to work in the narrative".
>>
>>44056215
Page 250, under Attacker Determines Damage.
It's been in all of the 40k systems apart from DH1 yet a huge amount of people seem to be completely oblivious to that rule.
>>
>>44056235
definitely a lot better than Kevlar if it can relyably block most of a sword strike.
>>
>>44056235
>>44056261
Especially considering that a baseline human PC with average toughness literally can't die to a single pistol shot, no matter how well the attacker rolls.
>>
>>44056391
Damn, how did I miss this? Thanks anon, will remember it from now on.
>>
Can a commissar execute another Commissar for Cowardice?
>>
>>44056852
Yes and no. Depends on the relative ranks and such
>>
>>44043556
Huh, that's interesting, I'm kinda new to DH but my GM (we're playing 1st edition) runs very combat heavy sessions for us. We've also got some pretty crazy gear from what I've read about 40k (flamers everywhere, a stolen eldar pistol, a heavy stubber and one guy has an eviscerator)
>>
>>44056235
Define "Stop". A Stub Revolver (Something fairly close to a modern-ish .44 magnum revolver) is 1d10+3 damage, giving it an average of about 9 damage before armor and toughness. Guard flak and TB bonus cut that down to 2 damage, which is likely a hell of a bruise, but not immediately life-threating, in the case of an average NPC with 10 Wounds.
>>
>>44057219
>We've also got some pretty crazy gear from what I've read about 40k (flamers everywhere, a stolen eldar pistol, a heavy stubber and one guy has an eviscerator)
That's...not especially crazy, more "Average Ecclesiarchy Frateris Militia mob". Well, except the shuriken pistol. Crazy would be everyone with melta, plasma, and/or bolt weaponry, a few archeotech weapons spread around, and your heavy melee guy with a graviton hammer.
>>
How useable are miniatures in these RPGs?

I used to play 40k and sold all my stuff long ago. I want an excuse to get a few minis (current costs make owning an army out of my reach) and have them be useful.
>>
>>44058555

My group and I use some one a dry erase board. They're pretty convenient since they can better represent direction and stuff than just drawings.
>>
>>44042768
I'm the guy who asked about playing for just one Player and one GM.

Wouldn't one RPG about powered up characters (Read: Space Marine) lend itself more for one player vs a human soldier based game?
>>
>>44058915

Lore-wise, Space Marines always travel in groups so it'd be better to do a regular human. Actually, if you REALLY want, you should probably do Black Crusade since it encourages selfishness and he could be a lone Chaos Marine.
>>
>>44059443
>Lore-wise, Space Marines always travel in groups

Not necessarily. Dan Abnett's book Brothers of the Snake had a single Marine doing shit on his own because one dude was all that was needed to get the job done.

Also, Deathwatch has Kill-Marines, who are more solo operators than team players.
>>
>>44058030
Yeh, but we're rank 3, that stuff usually turns up later right?
>>
Does anyone have actually complete Enemies Without pdf for DH2?
>>
>>44062752

Yeah I fucked up using always. There are certainly examples of solo marines

>>44063578

It just got released online today actually. Might pick it up after work but we'll see
>>
>>44063578
If someone can tell me how to remove all the stuff identifying it as mine, then sure. It will take a day however, got work in the morning and bed now.
>>
>>44059443
>>44062752

You could also do some other stuff like being a marine helping out an Inquisitor, oathsworn to a rogue trader or being an advisor for the IG. Anothr option is to be a marine being sent in exile for whatever reason and doing whatever he wants to find a worthy end or atone for some sin. Not everyone has to be a blackshield.
>>
So yet to play any RPG at all but i just ordered DH2.
Like the setting the most of the warhammer RPG's.
Are any of the supplements must have?
>>
>>44064651
Both enemies within and without provide good enough items and character creation options to justify getting
>>
getting this off the last page for when someone de-id's enemies without
>>
>>44063578

Here: >>44003011
>>
>>44069470

Oh shit, I fucked up, it only goes to 127. Just ignore that.
>>
Wish me luck familia
in 20 minutes i'm GMing my first game ever
introducing a bunch of newfags to 40k
>>
>>44069965

May the Emperor guide you to good fun. Or the Chaos Gods if you're playing Black Crusade.
Which system is it?
>>
>>44070062
dark heresy
if anyone in the party is reading this go fuck yourself
basically, theres a dark mechanicus techpriest hiding out in the bowels of the underhive and working on creating a strain of the obliterator virus that works on regular humans, and the party is operating on a one month(in game time) clock, before everything really goes to shit
>>
So, my latest session of Rogue Trader: The Pimply Blackened Ass-End of the Eastern Fringe just wrapped and here's the highlights of a seven-hour marathon session
>PCs are chasing a trail left by Dark Age humans partially picked up on by a lost Imperium battlegroup that got fucked mysteriously in an uncharted system
>So far they've got two pieces of plot coupon outlining potential worlds to visit
>The ultimate prizes are: A mysterious Dark Age logic engine that provides near-perfect knowledge and wisdom to its owners, and an automated mobile shipyard that can shit out a raider or transport every 6-8 months instead of taking at least years. The latter would make them sector royalty. The logs of the former owners who hid this shit speak of it as an afterthought next to their "Font of all wisdom"
>The competition is an insane void-born pirate lord by the name of Grigori Valkova, who was a former companion until he learned of the prize and staged a shockingly successful mutiny and killed their former Admiral
>Current target was a lost world that was a former Dark Age treasure world where people lived in self-sufficient mega-arcologies while the outside was tended by genetically engineered abhuman slaves
>Ironically, when the Fall hit, the mega-arcologies turned into abattoirs and the abhuman farmers were the only survivors. They ended up creating a self-sufficient feudal tech base
>They have a space battle with some of Valkova's flunkies, and found out he's installed one of the abhumans as a vassal warlord. Said warlord has a suit of power armor thanks to that fucker and now styles himself as brass bull-god of war Moloch
>They touch down, meet with Moloch, which was basically the GM trying to troll the group into shooting first through layering on heresy and vileness. He's also living on the top floor of a ruined mega-arcology that is still (barely) standing
(Cont)
>>
>>44070239
>They make nice, with difficulty, decide 'fuck subltety, this guy needs to fucking die' come back with gun-cutters and heavy guns, nearly die anyway because the fucker was a frenzied MEQ with a power axe backed with heavy stubbers, win, decapitate Moloch, and find out, yes, to nobody's surprise, he was chaos-tainted
>He kept a brace of trophy skulls with corrupt runes on them that twist and squirm when touched.
>PCs destroy the skulls, now they have the planet to explore, conquer, and hopefully fortify before Valkova comes for their ass and demands payback.
>Session end.
>>
File: dio.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dio.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
Been combing through the entire 40k line for time manipulation psychic powers, does /tg/ know of any, or am I going to have to house rule them?

Going to GM a Rogue Trader game, pic related could be an amusing nemesis.
>>
>>44071270
Only Psychic Power I can think of that falls under the domain of Chronal fuckery is Warptime.
And all that does it make you fast. Look in Black Crusade core.
True time-stopping is the kind of bullshit that not even Lords of Change don't or can't fuck with.

Also if you want to make a genuine Rogue Trader nemesis, instead consider how they mesh with the adventurer player-centered narrative of Rogue Trader itself.
Sure yeah, you've got a guy who stops time to throw knives.
So what?

Is he another pirate?
A trader?
Does he have a ship?
Who are his backers/friends?
How about a base of operations?

These things are a LOT more important than whether he can throw knives or not.
>>
File: corruptednoble.jpg (44KB, 267x442px) Image search: [Google]
corruptednoble.jpg
44KB, 267x442px
>>44071412
In regards to the genuine nemesis thing, that ain't a problem, my players picked a lot of origin choices that give them Enemy talents (Arbites, Mechanicus and a Rival RT) and I've built a bunch of more sensible, well thought out characters to stymy them, from mech-assassins to hostile dynasties.
Sucks that I can't have total time stop, but hey, thanks for pointing me in the right direction dude!
>>
>>44071270
Time travel in pen and paper is a bad idea in general, although it may work if you use it very sparingly (like once) in a combat circumstance or are vague about it in narrative
A possible solution is to use something stat wise besides "stopping time" like a boost in relevant stats like giving unnatural agility (nothing more unnatural than time stoppage), boosting initiative, giving more actions (be VERY fucking careful with that radioactive shit), giving weapons storm that don't have it and on the same note just boosting rate of fire on weapons, maybe add a penalty to parry if you want to go melee, and things like that
As for narrative there's not a whole lot to just saying a guy has powers like that since untamed warp fuckery is completely uncategorized and as varied as the ways a daemon will murder you. However it begs the plot hook of involving Ordo Chronos, maybe he's secretly an inquisitor and is testing the Rogue Traders for an ominous "future event" that you may or may not play out that can only be resolved by one or all of the explorers because fate, or perhaps they assist an inquisitor in stopping this rogue sorcerer only to find that they have no evidence of meeting either and the only people that remember are those who are touched by the fates to the point that their spent ammunition is replenished
Honestly time dilation is probably one of the most fun ideas to mess around with in 40k but also the most dangerous but people who even know about it either ignore it or wave it off timey-wimey bullshit
>>
>>43999704
>>43999672
>>43999575
>>43999426
>>43999755

So, I'm still debating this with myself. I don't wanna be a dick and throw a "lol ur house was purged" at my players, but still, the Inquisition only thinking "Maybe they sold a Halo Artefact" is enough for a serious shitshow. So, what should they encounter, emerging from the Warp five years later then planned? I'm thinking that their dynasty is under the equivalent of a house arrest, and the Inquisition is pretty much just waiting to see if they are willing to go into custody (if they don't, then clearly something is afoot!), and if they do, then begin the fun times of trying to extract confessions of guilt.

But how actively should the big I pursue the party, what with not knowing when and where (if at all) they'll show up?
>>
>>44071270
I take it you overlooked navigators in your search? Some of their powers spesifically manipulate time, either their own or others. With Ebb and Flow power a Nagivator can Za Warudo chosen target, or targets.

Check Navis Nobilitie powers from RT Core, ItS and Navis Primer
>>
File: astropath2.jpg (79KB, 484x792px) Image search: [Google]
astropath2.jpg
79KB, 484x792px
>>44072130
>However it begs the plot hook of involving Ordo Chronos, maybe he's secretly an inquisitor and is testing the Rogue Traders for an ominous "future event" that you may or may not play out that can only be resolved by one or all of the explorers because fate, or perhaps they assist an inquisitor in stopping this rogue sorcerer only to find that they have no evidence of meeting either

I like this idea a lot. May use it at a later date, thanks man.
>>44073762
I... may have, yeah, didn't think Navigators would be able! Will check those as well.
>>
>>43998572
>Survival is optional, but it's a nice bonus
/thread
>40k in a nutshell
>>
>>43999755
So how did the Inquisitor even notice that they made that much money?
That sounds like a perfect plan to me - unless they are actively being investigated, a sudden influx of riches can easily be hidden by any competent RT (divided into many smaller holdins and investments, for a long-term increase in wealth instead of a sudden windfall)
>>
>>44002303
My Rogue Trader PC (a rank 7 Dark Eldar) sneaked his way onto a Voidship by jumping from plane to plane (and at one point discovering it was filled with heretics and fighting furies on top of a moving Arvus Lighter!), all the while avoiding their automated defence turrets' detection systems. He jumped from one to the other whenever they approached a refuelling station or airport, and get in when it was already in the air (he did have a skyboard to help!). He was geared up for this, too: he had the skills, the gear to avoid detection and survive the cold and rareified air and even get into a vessel's airlock, and the cold-blooded cruelty to release a nerve agent just after leaving so they couldn't talk about what had happenedwhen he was no longer inside threatening the captain.
After 5 insanely risky jumps and infiltrations, he actually got inside a void-capable one and reached the ship. Luckily he has allies there waiting for him, because hiding for the 5 months of NAVY voidship voyage could have been long to play... So many skill tests!
Ride a missile!
>What is something your GM did that was straight up BAD or boring?
He had our PCs wake up on a space hulk with no gear, and then engage on three relatively pointless fetch quests before even being able to try to GTFO (and all this was on a time limit - it would enter the warp in two days). A cool idea, but boring to actually play: there are only so many ways you can kill orks discreetly... It became an endless series of skill checks.
>What is your favorite houserule?
Sneak attacks doing double damage.
>Is there a game idea you'd love to play but no GM has been willing to run it?
Playing Only War as the First Membranes, against Chaos and Orks. SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK!
>>
>>43998572
What's a fun way to get everyone nice and nervous?

Trails of worrying clues and asking people to get into their void-suits is quite good I imagine.

Has anyone done "Fun in the cold vacuum of space"?
>>
>>44074645
>What's a fun way to get everyone nice and nervous?

Lots of awareness checks. Lots of corpses. No ways out.
>>
>>44074786
>No ways out.

Fast track to That GM here. If you want to railroad just say so.
>>
>>44074993
>the cold vaccuum of space

if there's a way out then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>44075273

>ha ha those poor players never stood a chance! I won!
>>
>>44074645
>What's a fun way to get everyone nice and nervous?
It's very meta but it assuredly works and can get people in character, ask for awareness checks a lot. A good "None of you guys have Forbidden Lore Daemonology do you?" never hurts either.
>>
>>44074993

You've probably never actually GM'd, judging by this comment.

Removing agency from players on occasion makes them appreciate their agency all the more.
>>
>>44074173
Well, the moment they arrived back to Port Wander with full coffers they assembled an entire convoy of forklifts and the Void Master's private ship militia to cart the whole haul to the banking quarter of the station, so...
>>
>>44076017

All it seems to do though is create another THAT GM thread on /tg/ where the player withholds information to make themselves the victim
>>
File: Heroesofourtime.png (556KB, 957x539px) Image search: [Google]
Heroesofourtime.png
556KB, 957x539px
sup /tg/
I am thinking about giving my players a vortex grenade and not telling them what it is.

Is this a good idea?
Will this somehow come back and bite me in the ass?
>>
>>44077467
Yes on both counts. Go for it bro
>>
>>44077467
Make it the crown jewel of a feudal world monarch, prophecy foretells that only one who wears the crown may hope defeat the great [INSERT THREAT HERE] should they return.
>>
>>44077522
this...
this is an amazing idea.
I will do this
thank you /tg/
>>
>>44077522
have the crown hold the following inscription

Nothing survives its touch, nothing escapes its grasp. It is a weapon of unspeakable power and unmatched devastation – a horror from a bygone age
>>
>>44077816
>>44077522
Call it the Oblivion Crown
>>
>>44077816
If you like rhyming.

Nothing survives its touch,
nothing escapes its grasp.
A horror from a bygone age,
a terror from our glorious past.
This weapon of unspeakable power,
the whole void in your grasp.
>>
>>44077522
The world previously hosted a mechanicus excavation station that was was all but wiped out in war tousands of years ago.

The remaining three techpriests called for reinforcements but their call to aid was lost at an administratum desk.

over the following thousand years the techpriests tried to preserve their knowledge but each generation remembered less.

Eventually only the local peasants and the stories of the great battle remained.
>>
>>44077964
it is an quote form an old codex that contained it.

I kind of like the rhyming one better though
>>
>>44074456
>Sneak attacks doing double damage.

not a house rule

unless you mean sneak attack to mean "unaware/surprised" and not "helpless" I guess.
>>
>>44078148

What else would sneak attack me?
Have you played other RPGs or video games? I've never heard an attack on an unaware target not referred to as a sneak attack.
>>
>>44078678

mean*
>>
Enemies without just released as a pdf.
Is it worth getting?
What enemy profiles are available?
>>
>>44081023

I think Tyranids and Orks for sure. Maybe Tau.
No Necros IIRC
Though the new homeworlds, vehicle stuff, and talents are worth it for me. Though if you want those the free PDF is out.
>>
>>44081098

Is the PDF on the mega? I don't see it.
>>
>>44081595
Not yet, we have the incomplete version here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l7lem6jxxnl6nu2/Enemies+Without.pdf
But no one's posted the complete, dewatermarked version yet. Give it another 2-7 days.
>>
>>44081595

Huh, apparently not.
It was posted last thread though I'm having trouble finding that. Hopefully a nice anon will come and post it for ya
>>
>>44074094

Is it just me or is death not all that common?
I've yet to have a character die thanks to fate points and Infamy, just really really injured.
>>
File: I'll bite your legs off.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
I'll bite your legs off.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>44084536
True. PCs tend to run out of limbs before they run out of Fate Points. Not that it stops true heroes of the Imperium.
>>
>>44084830

Reminds me of that quote from DH1E

>Legless acolytes can still participate, though they are truly only half the man they were in the eyes of the Emperor.
>>
File: Obsidian Portal.png (1015KB, 1276x1007px) Image search: [Google]
Obsidian Portal.png
1015KB, 1276x1007px
I'm working on a DH2 character sheet for Obsidian Portal, which is basically a wiki thing; I'm not sure whether I should make the weapon section for the sheet be one column or two. Opinions?
>>
>>44086327
Should have a special notes and upgrade/mods/downgrade section for it unless if it is under special qualities which I would think refer to actual weapon qualities like accurate or proven.
>>
File: 2015-12-10 18_54_35-Movies & TV.jpg (28KB, 807x268px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-10 18_54_35-Movies & TV.jpg
28KB, 807x268px
>>44086497
The little speech bubble on the right generates a tooltip you can use for descriptions, quick references, etc. Generally I use the Special field for modifications and such, but there's no problem with adding it as a separate field.
>>
Hey tg, what was the most snowflakey character you've made?
Nothing to hide, we are anonymoose here.
I've seen a dark eldar RT few post above, can you top that?
For me, it was a blue eyed Raven Guard marine. I convinced DM to go along with it because on GW page one model was painted with blond hair, so I claimed "lel, rare mutation". It still feels wrong, but also feels good. Confess your sins.
Bonus points for pulling it off in a tasteful way.
>>
>>44088416
A mystical warrior of darkness, armed with a katana and trenchcoat he hunts the enemies of man.
[Spoiler] he was actually just a farmhand from the agriworld the first mission took place on[/spoiler]
>>
>>44088449
You fucked up son
>>
File: House Ezida.png (345KB, 729x1216px) Image search: [Google]
House Ezida.png
345KB, 729x1216px
>>44088416
Most Snowflakey?
I don't really think he classifies, but my last Rogue Trader was the only guy who I've played who wasn't a utter shitkicker.

Born to a Rogue Trader, raised by planetary Nobles for safety (in exchange for good will), grew up on a militaristic world (even by Imperial standards), joined the Imperial Navy, and was forced to limp through realspace for 5 years getting back to civilisation.

No sooner had he stumbled off that hell-ship, was he handed his family's warrant, his father dead from a malevolent growth on his brain.
>>
File: oneshotted_a_hive_tyrant.jpg (131KB, 1022x454px) Image search: [Google]
oneshotted_a_hive_tyrant.jpg
131KB, 1022x454px
>>44088416
While I played plenty of ridiculous characters, especially in Black Crusade, I can't really dub any of them snowflakey, as they were all very much slaves to their own vices, be it a compulsive desire to create bizarre Warp-machine abominations, or being a drug fiend and bloodthirsty maniac at the same time- or just, simply put, stupid. As in, I played them as a stupid person.

My most snowflakey character, in all honesty, was probably the cookie cutter Ultramarine I made for a Deathwatch oneshot- I intended him to be the Leandros of the group, babbling on about the Codex Astartes and being a general pain in the ass- instead, he survived every combat encounter without a scratch, never failed a shot with his trusty bolter, and at the pivotal moment of the adventure killed a flying Hive Tyrant with two Hellfire bolt shells in the most ridiculous fucking roll of Righteous Fury any of us have ever seen. That's what we get for not using the errata'd bolter stats.
>>
>>44088912
That's what they get for doubting the teachings of the most noble Lord Guilliman, you mean.
>>
>>44085236
Shit, that one's epic!
There's another great one in Black Crusade:
> If a character loses both his hands, he had better secure replacements or get someone to file his teeth.
>>44078148
Yes, I do
>>
What do you like to do when creating regiments in OW? Do you try to go after "realistic" approaches or do you try to follow the "turn it up to 11" line? Do you try to recreate real units in military history or do you come up with something less grounded in reality?

I find myself creating units that, while maybe coming from less realistic worlds, are still a bit grounded in reality. So I could have a mountain infantry unit inspired by real units and coming from an agri world, but no rough riders riding flaming, flying giant spiders. The most 40k-ish regiment I created up till now is basically a knightly order in space, and I was planning on making a not-roman legion regiment armed with explosive pila, riot shields and swords.
>>
>>44090196

It varies, but personally I favor over-the-top regiments due to the nature of 40k's universe and the diversity of the regimental creation options.
>>
>>44088922
Amen, battle-brother.
>>
My rogue trader group has got themselves in a jam, I'm loving how they are squirming. They either help out an Army of mutants or help out a lost black ship filled with inquisitiors exterminatous said army of mutants. Only one player keeps suggesting they just leave and do neither, the rest aren't listening to him. The inquisitiors assume loyalty from the trader, the the trader keeps asking me if it's in his Warrent of trade that he is required to help the inquisitiors out. My question is, how should I make the inquisitiors act, if the trader decides to side with the mutants? Should I have his ship mutiny? The ship as a whole are pretty religious
>>
>>44090307
On that topic: how would you guys play as a First Membranes Regiment?
I love the concept, but I'm having trouble finding any adventures/encounter ideas that would really be unique to them.
Oh! and do you think that every PC should just get psyker and mastery level 1 for free (along with insanity points or something), or that every PC should be a sanctioned psyker (the specialist)? Actually, do you think they would get the sanctioned trait? Would they even be bound psykers?
Rules-wise, how would such a regiment work?

SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK!
>>
>>44090667
>inb4 "Who the fuck are those guys, and why should I care?"
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/1st_Membranes
The regiment is colloquially known as the Exploding Brains. An Inquisitorial Black Ship crashed on a small forge world, where the remaining figures of authority were almost entirely dead save for the IG regiment command already on the planet. The psykers freed from the ship were absorbed into the regiment, with many of the former soldiers being moved into command positions, including the commissariat, to better watch over their psychic charges. This huge upsurge in the psychic gene has bred true for the citizens of the forge cities ever since, resulting in an unprecedented 97% psyker population within the regiment - a smaller percentage exists within the population at large.

The uniform consists of a tinfoil-lined helmet, white and grey lab coats, a respirator, and a suit of flak armor. They carry presense goggles, M36 lasguns, sandbags, entrenching tools and melee weapons. They are known for being good at melee and street fighting, as well as being paranoid due to their bilious leader. The regiment is also known to have four imperator titans.
>>
>>44090546
Depends on whether the inquisitor knows or can figure out the mood of the group and their actions, and how puritan/radical they are.
Make the rolls, figure out where the inquisitor stands, go from there.
>>
File: champion of tseentch.jpg (836KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
champion of tseentch.jpg
836KB, 3840x2160px
>>44090667
I mean, they'd definitely get a lot of heat from Inquisitors, who get a little bit twitchy around that dense a psycher population.
Accurate or not, the image of one daemonic possession popping off all the others into a full regiment of warp spawn is going to keep any Inquisitor up at night.
>>
>>44090812
But how do I get the Inquisition involve in a way that won't immediately end the campaign?
Actually, should I even let the PCs know that the regiment as a whole is trying to hide from the Inquisition? It could be funny having a campaign where glory isn't the point for once - instead, survival is!
>>
>>44090836
You could have their team meet an Interrogator and his squand of stormtroopers in the field while on a scouting mission. The Inq dudes appear wounded and tired, as if returning from a long mission. They immediately commandeer the team as grunts for whatever covert mission they are doing (it isn't over and didn't go well, they came back to steal a few reinforcements from the local guard forces), but they don't want the PCs to tell their Ig high command WTF is happening. Oh, and if the PCs let him know they are all psykers he'll probably kill them (it should be obvious he's a pretty harsh puritain - maybe not a monodominant, but almost!) and their etire regiment.
So they have to survive and keep their secret, all the while trying to hunt down and kill a specific enemy leader (who has amole in high command, hence why the IG shouldn't know that there's an assassination team aimed for his ass)!
>>
>>44090836
Sorry, are they hiding from the Inquisition?
I got the impression that they're tolerated, but most Inquisitors are scared shitless of what could happen.
I would think that they'd have to prove themselves to any Inquisitor they come across, knowing that he's just waiting for an excuse to execute all of them.
You could have a chaos cult in the regiment, and the PC's would have to contain and handle it in-house while under the nose of a particularly zealous Inquisitor.
>>
>>44090979
I understood they they are not tolerated at all - and that the only reason they even get supplied is because they got mis-categorised.
Indeed, they have a special codeword to GTFO and flee the system within 15 hours or something if they even get a hint black templars are incoming.
>>
File: inquisitor marburg.jpg (49KB, 754x1023px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitor marburg.jpg
49KB, 754x1023px
I need your help /tg/

In my Dark Heresy campaign I'm trying to set up a scenario where the Acolytes will be detained and tried for the death of the Head of Security for a noble house in the hive. In reality they did kill him, but that's because he's one of the leaders of a Tzeentch cult in the hive. Said cult found out, and plan on using the judicial system to get rid of the party without outright killing them. The twist here is that the Arbites Justice that will preside over the hearing will also be a member of the cult, and is feeding information to the prosecution (represented by the Noble house the cult leader was part of) to make an airtight case.

My problem is: how do I provide clues to the players that the Arbites Justice is with the heretic cult? Because going through the scenario in my head, there's actually plenty of evidence to get them convicted. I want to give them the out of "Hey the games fixed!" as an option if they don't come up with their own solution.

Inquisitor William Regal unrelated
>>
>>43998572
We haven't done too much crazy bullshit, we did accidentally blow up a giant underground reserve of promethium by orbitally bombarding it though, fuck was the rogue trader pissed when she found out about that.
>>
>>44091005
Ah, okay.
I still like the idea of trying to act normal while the Inquisitor's there.
How about they're fighting a chaos sorceror, who's gloating about his "mastery of the warp" before he slowly realizes that he's outclassed in sheer combined psychic power.

Ooh, maybe they take him out for a somewhat radical Inquisitor, who agrees to help keep them secret in gratitude.
>>
>>44091021

After the end of one day's trail, have them do a perception test to notice the judge pass a note to the prosecutor as they're being remove from the court house.
Have the prosecutor misspeak and have the judge correct him "sir, don't you mean that x evidence actually means this?"

If those aren't direct enough, take it up to eleven and have the judge yell at the prosecutor "NO YOU FOOL, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DO x"
>>
>>44091021
Does the party have a psyker? Because a "Wait something just fucking ain't right with this guy's soul" tingle in the psyker's head after an impromptu Psyniscience test could be a good first clue.

Alternatively, they spot a secret handshake or code phrase being exchanged that slips literally everyone else's attention.
>>
Guise, best DH2 without new Enemies Without build? Is void born close combat outcast assassin good?
>>
Has a full scan of Enemies Without been uploaded yet?
>>
>>44092428
yup. check out mediafire link
>>
>>44092428
Again, guide me to how to remove any identifiers from the document and I'll upload mine.
>>
>>43998572

Anybody play stoned warriors?
>>
>>44092390
respond
>>
>>44092573
That's not the full version.
>>
>>44092892
ffffuck.
>>
>>44092390

>power gaming

Kill ur self
>>
Dark heresy 2 asking about char guy here. I've made a char already, but there is an option MG said there is - I didnt choose it, but if that char will die, Ill choose it. So.. you have 25 base stats (Weapon skill, etc) and you have 60 points to give away so the char could be focused on something. Any funny ideas, guys?
>>
>>44092988
Its not power gaming. Power gaming would be making something unbearable in wh40k lore way.
>>
>>44093015
If it's not powergaming then you can just look at your aptitudes and see if they are conducive for close combat advances and that would be enough to see if it's any good.
>>
>>44093143
I just asked whats the best option for every aspect, thats all. And I am hyped up for this new addon pilot background.
>>
>>44093182

>I just asked whats the best option for every aspect

That is LITERALLY power gaming though.
Making a character that takes advantage of every rule and specialization

>Power gaming would be making something unbearable in wh40k lore way.

That's also bad, but not power gaming.
>>
>>44093234
Oh cmon, how you cant see my way of thinking. I am saying that I am not making jack of all trades but which path is best for meele guy, other for being tech savvy, etc. I just cant see differences between assassin meele guy and imperial guard savage world guy/warrior background with chainaxe.
>>
>>44093295
well just look at the aptitudes, you'll see what's best to buy the talents you want.

The difference is that one guy's an assasin, the other a guardsman from a savage world.
>>
>>44090683
Sometimes /tg/ has good ideas, 1st membranes are not one of those ideas
Unsanctioned psykers and planetary population of psykers on its own is grounds for exterminatus, that's how daemon worlds are made and why the Dark Age of Technology was as such
The loss of a Black ship would lead to a quick investigation before any sort of command structure would integrate the population of that ship into a regiment
Suffer not the witch to live is so ingrained into Imperial society that no sane commander nor anyone under him would approve of such naivety and retarded proceedings
At best ignoring everything previous, with no training, skill, boundaries, or knowledge such a regiment would explode whatever planet they're on into a daemon world in the middle of a warp storm at their first engagement when the stress triggers their nascent connection to the warp to open into a full, open river of warp energy
>>
>>44092997
Agriworld entertainer specializing in interpretive dance
>>
>>44092584
is it just watermarked or doyou have to worry about metadata?
>>
>>44091021
these guys
>>44091326
>>44092082
had some good ideas. I'm not familiar with the 40k court system, so I'm basing it on the american court system for these examples. One thing to try might be to make the judge seem biased (ex. Turning down reasonable onjections, allowing the prosecution to get away with a lot, interpreting anything the defense says in the worst way possible, etc). During a recess you could also have one or two of the players happen to walk by while some people are talking about how the trial is rigged. If they notice and look they might see some sign that those people are from the cult. If they did significant research on the cult, you could give them an intelligence check to see if they recognize the names of anyone in the court room as part of the cult. Success might let then recognize the prosecution.More DoS might let them recognize the name of the judge.
>>
GM Help aka "I found the General!"

About to start running Only War with Harakoni Warhawks. Been working with this group of player's awhile now and i'm worried I'll just end up rehashing mission types and story ideas from past games. First mission is a not so subtle copy of Operation Market Garden. Any ideas of interesting, fun, or surprising missions or arc after that?
>>
>>44095006
Operation FUCK THAT AREA IN PARTICULAR
>>
>>44094984
I'm surprised that they haven't gone to the noble house and flashed their inquisitorial rosette. Saying "we're with the inquisition, this dude was a heretic" is carte blanche in 40k. Doubting a member of the emperor's most holy inquisition is itself cause for suspicion of heresy. If worse comes to worst they can call in their inquisitor to sort it out. Sure he or she'll be disappointing in them and they'll lose a lot of subtlety but they'll be alive. There is a reason that the acolytes have access to the Inquisitor's influence. They aren't expected to always be able to go it alone.
>>
>>44094916
Probably everything, PDF is from DrivethruRPG. Never done this before.
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>44095090
When you make it, you nagger
>>
>>44095006
The group has been assigned to a front where there are orks invading. They find evidence of an ork-worshiping cult that believes Gork and Mork are true chaos gods. They find out that the IG have been encountering a lot of these groups lately. They are tasked with pursuing the cult and wiping it out before they spread their disgusting ideas.

Surprise plot twist: it was actually an inquisitorial cell sent there in disguise hunting down a demon weapon that is on the planet

Shyamalan: It was actually an inquisitorial cell sent to that planet to hunt down a rogue regiment that's been killing off inquisitorial cells. After they smoke and gunfire settles down they work out that they have both been set up by someone higher up the IG chain of command. They now need to find him or her and take them out.
>>
>>44094984
Do you have Tome of Judgement? It's got good info on all sorts of law things.

Also, I suggest watching Brazil for some inspiration on just how batshit insanely the law and bureaucracy could work in the Imperium.
>>
>>44095006
After a particularly nasty battle and hopefully when the enemy is pushes back, reinforcements arrive, and among them a few Atlas Recovery Vehicles (they're in Shield of Humanity). The party then has to protect one as it salvages and tows back a wrecked Leman Russ or two, as resources are spread thin and every tank returned to service counts.
>>
>>44095222
>>44095456
Both good ideas, thanks!
I've already done something similar with the twists (Lord General was a Lord of Change, long story) but I like the Inquisition angle.
That escort mission idea is good too. That's a mission type I haven't thought of before.
I'll probably end up stealing both your ideas.
>>
>>44095544
Make sure you let them know that the brave soldiers of the internet have provided the night's entertainment. The looks of horror should be most enjoyable.
>>
>>44095006
Assault on an space station, they get assigned because Administartum thinks "Hay jump assault is the same as space assault right?". Make the whole thing about failures at the high levels of decision making and logistics. They have to steal good voidsuits from dead foes, Fighting is cramped and awful and the navy refuses to fire on the station at the insistence of some shadowy authority figure. Horrifying revelations about what lies at the station's heart came as standard.
>>
>>44096156
Also good, thanks.
Might have to hold off a bit on that hook though. This Market Garden ala A Bridge Too Far arc will have more than enough of 'What were they thinking?' vibe to it I think.
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.